Subject: FVWM: Fvwm, AIX and X11 problems

From: "Brian Howard '00" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:13:35 -0400

I am running the latest version of AIX (4.3.3) and the default X11
configuration that was installed on my machine with AIX.  I am now trying
to install fvwm, and running into problems.  Although configuration would
succeed, compilation would fail on a missing shape.h, which is an X11
extension.  Simply adding the file is useless, since you would be trading
a compilation error for a linking error.  I tried using the
--disable-shape option, which worked for fvwm itself, allowing it to
compile, but none of the extras would compile without it.  I also later
installed xpm, and now fvwm itself won't compile, I suspect because the
xpm requires these extra libraries.  After much google research, I found
that shape.h is associated with libXext, and that the X11 setup included
in AIX lacks several of teh extensions and libraries included in a normal
X11 install.  Attempts to find a patch or update to bring AIX up to speed,
as well as attempts to find a full X11 AIX binary failed.  Short of
reinstalling X11 myself, does anyone have any ideas for what could be done
to fix this problem?

Thanks,
---
Brian Howard

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:11:44 -0400

> reinstalling X11 myself, does anyone have any ideas for what could be done

I ran into similar problems with AIX  compiling another X application.
The  libraries were initially missing but  our support staff found and
installed them.  Unfortunatly, I don't remember what they had to do.

On my AIX 4.3 system, I see libXext.a in:

monstro> find /usr/lpp/X11/lib -name 'libXext*' -print
/usr/lpp/X11/lib/R6/libXext.a
/usr/lpp/X11/lib/R6/inst_updt/libXext.a
/usr/lpp/X11/lib/R5/libXext.a

Hope that helps.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:56:28 +0200

> reinstalling X11 myself, does anyone have any ideas for what could be done

I suggest you fetch a more recent copy of fvwm.  The latest beta
(2.3.32) should properly detect the absence of the shape extension
and compile without it.  Once you got it up and running you may
want to read question 2.2 of the fvwm FAQ about running fvwm under
CDE.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]