Subject: FVWM: Upgraded to 2.3.28, but.................

From: "n6tadam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:05:09 +0100

Dear List,

I have some good news!! Over the weekend, I upgraded by version of fvwm2
(version 2.2.2), to fvwm2 (version 2.3.28). I am finding the upgrade well
worth the experience. I still maintain that fvwm2 is the best window manager
:-).

However, I am finding that I am missing two things, which although trivial,
is annoying me :-)

I installed version 2.3.28 without touching the Makefile, except giving it
the once over, just to make sure that the path's were ok. So, all the files
have been installed in their default place.

The only thing I have changed, is the variable "ModulePath", in the per user
file ".fvwm2rc.m4" (I am still using AnotherLevel -- Lestiff style). I
changed the variable from the following:

ModulePath /usr/X11/lib/X11/fvwm2

to the following:

ModulePath /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.28

(I assume that is what I am supposed to do??)

The two problems that I am having, is that before I upgraded, when the WM
was loading, a round circle (referred to as "Dot") used to indicate that
various things were loading. Now, that I have upgraded, this round circle
has been replaced by a watch. How do I get the circle back???

Secondly, how do I get rid of the horizontal lines that appear on sticky
windows, AFTER the window has been iconified?? Before, sticky windows that
were iconified, never had the lines, but now they do.

Any help you can offer is very much appreciated.

On a completely separate issue, is there a way I can contribute to Fvwm2. I
know that I am not exactly fluent with the customisations of fvwm2 (it is
still early days yet!), but I just wanted to help you in some way. You have
all been very patient with my "demands", and I just feel that I would like
to help :-).

Regards,

Thomas Adam

Please note that the content of this message is confidential between the original sender and the intended recipient(s) of the message. If you are not an intended recipient and/or have received this message in error, kindly disregard the content of the message and return it to the original sender.

If you have any complaints about this message please reply to:
       [email-masked]

The Purbeck School E-Mail server running:
       users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:34:22 +0200

> have been installed in their default place.

I wonder why you took 2.3.28.  The latest beta is 2.3.33.

> (I assume that is what I am supposed to do??)

No, you should not change the module path.  The default path is
where the modules are istalled with "make install".  Changing the
path to something different may cause that module versions and
the fvwm version do not match.

> has been replaced by a watch. How do I get the circle back???

  CursorStyle Wait dot

does the trick.
 
> were iconified, never had the lines, but now they do.

No, only by downgrading.

> all been very patient with my "demands", and I just feel that I would like

Technically, you can find the answer in the FAQ (5.1, 5.2).  The
best way to learn how fvwm works is to write patches and discuss
them on the workers list.  A good way to start is to look at the
list of planned enhancements and pick something that you think is
worth doing and failry simple to start with.  Or make up something
your own and discuss it on the list first.

There are a few things to keep in mind.  One is that as long as I
am developing fvwm I will keep an eye on syntax of new commands
and the coding style of new patches.  A lot of harm has been done
in the past by applying patches without checking if they fit
existing syntax or code.  The other thing is that implementing
some kinds of features are very tricky nowadays, for example
implementing new Style options.  So, don't hesitate to ask for an
explanation.  And if you want to do me a big favour, write down
a summary of the explanations you get so that we can put it
somewhere on the web page.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:43:06 -0400 (EDT)

> (I assume that is what I am supposed to do??)

I think you want to do something else.

At the top of fvwm2rc.m4 there is a section which looks like 

changecom(%%%)

... snip ...

#`FVWMDIR'=FVWM_MODULEDIR
#
#`XRELEASE'=RELEASE
changecom(#)

... snip ...

ModulePath FVWM_MODULEDIR

This is the default for AnotherLevel-1.0.1-1 

I think what Dominik is telling you is that even this is overkill, as long
as you don't relocate the modules, since these paths are compiled in.

To keep things simple, I would just suggest you leave the default
AnotherLevel config in place and it should work just fine.

Tom

Ps.  You might want to note the changes with ImagePath and PixmapPath to
modify AnotherLevel though...

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:38:17 -0400

> Dear List,
...
> (I assume that is what I am supposed to do??)

The 2.3.x releases contain a 2.2.x to 2.4.x conversion script.
You can use that as a guide to what should be changed in user config
files.

In the case of ModulePath, it should be deleted from user config files
since the ModulePath gets built in to fvwm now.

A similar change should be done to ImagePath.

> all been very patient with my "demands", and I just feel that I would like

I case you can't contribute code, just stay subscribed to the list.
Pointing out problems, answering questions, running tests are other ways
of helping.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].