Subject: FVWM: fvwm "feature" with WRQ Reflection X

From: Paul Ripke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:18:19 +1000

Hi,

I've discovered an interesting feature with recent versions of 
fvwm (last version to work for me was 2.0.46). When running 
Reflection X (v7.20) with "Treat windows desktop as X root" 
turned on and fvwm 2.2.5 (or 2.3.32) as window manager, it is 
not possible to raise an fvwm-managed window above a 
windoze-managed window. I've tracked it down to the function 
RaiseWindow() in fvwm/misc.c. Towards the end:

   if(i > 0)
     {
/*      XRaiseWindow(dpy,wins[0]);  */
       /*
            [email-masked] - 01/01/1999 -
          simply calling XRaiseWindow(dpy,wins[0]); here will put 
StaysOnTop
          windows over override_redirect windows like FvwmPager 
ballon_win or
          Motif menus. Instead raise wins[0] only above the 
topmost window
          which is managed by us.
       */
...

The remaining code in the if appears (like the comment states) 
to only raise a window above the topmost fvwm-managed window in 
the stack of windows. It appears Reflection X includes 
Windoze-managed windows in the stack, hence giving this feature. 
I've hacked the guts of the if out in 2.2.5 to achieve the old 
behavior, I'm just wondering if there is a better way to meet 
both goals?

BTW, please CC me in via email, I'm not subscribed to this list. Ta.

Thanks,
Paul Ripke
--
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:53:34 -0400

> BTW, please CC me in via email, I'm not subscribed to this list. Ta.

Does this command help:

BugOpts RaiseOverNativeWindows on

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:25:51 +0200

> BugOpts RaiseOverNativeWindows on

You will need 2.3.x for this to work, though.  In 2.2.x you can
not change this.  This option is switched on by default for
Exceed, but I guess nobody bothered about Reflection X yet.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:12:15 -0400

> Exceed, but I guess nobody bothered about Reflection X yet.

Paul,  would you mind sending us the "vendor string"
for Reflection X?  This way we can fix this without anyone having
to change their config file.

At the command line, type "xdpyinfo".  Send us the exact output.

---

From: Paul Ripke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:09:17 +1000

Thanks to those who responded. Indeed, "BugOpts 
RaiseOverNativeWindows on" works quite nicely with fvwm 2.3.32.

Dan, the relevant output of xdpyinfo for (this version, at 
least) Reflection X:
...
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    WRQ, Inc.
vendor release number:    8
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
...

Cheers to all,
Paul Ripke

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 09:07:07 -0400

> maximum request size:  4194300 bytes

Thanks Paul.  I applied the a change to current CVS.  After that change
you shouldn't need BugOpts with Reflection X.

---

From: Paul Ripke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:12:56 +1000

> you shouldn't need BugOpts with Reflection X.

Cool! Thanks for that!

Cheers,
Paul