Subject: FVWM: font problem

From: Max Ischenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:39:03 +0300

After doing `cvs up' i got following problems:

[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset label, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset label, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset label, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset label, trying 'fixed'
FvwmPager: Can't find font 'fixed', using fixed.
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset label, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset fixed, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset menu, trying 'fixed'

-- 
Best regards, Maxim F. Ischenko.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:44:59 +0200

> [FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset menu, trying 'fixed'

Could you please be a bit more specific? ;-)

 - What version did you before the update?
 - Can you please strip down your config file so that above
   messages are still generated and post it to the list?

I assume this is some kind of quoting problem.  Some details in
fvwm's command line parser have changed a few times in the recent
past and your config file may contain a few lines that have worked
only with some 2.3.x versions and will not work in the future.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Max Ischenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:25:52 +0300

>    messages are still generated and post it to the list?

I'm using fvwm CVS for about several month.
This problem arise recently when I do cvs up and install new version.
It is (problem) still present in today's snapshot.

Here is minimal fvwm config file:

IconFont  labelb

Here is log entries:
_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address xsm
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset labelb, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset labelb, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset labelb, trying 'fixed'
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset labelb, trying 'fixed'

I'm sure fontname is valid, because next command works fine
$ xedit -fn labelb

> only with some 2.3.x versions and will not work in the future.

It's worked fine about two weeks ago.

Using IconFont "labelb" doesn't help.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:06:32 +0200

> [FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset menu, trying 'fixed'

Are you sure these fonts exist and are in the font path of your X
server?  The names "label", "labelb" and "menu" seem funny to me.
Please check if these names appear in the output of

  $ xlsfonts

If they do exist, the X server can't load them for some reason.
According to the warnings, fvwm does not seem to do anything
wrong.

> I'm sure fontname is valid, because next command works fine

Well,

  $ xedit -fn kldsfldshlf

works for me too.  It simply uses a different font.

> It's worked fine about two weeks ago.

Did you make any changes to the X server setup?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Max Ischenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:28:33 +0300

> Please check if these names appear in the output of
$ xlsfonts |grep label
label
labelb

> Did you make any changes to the X server setup?

I've found the source of problem.

That's not in X, that in fvwm.

If I configure fvwm with --disable-multibyte, all OK.
If I configure fvwm with --enable-multibyte, it starts complaining as
shown above.

I was suggested to --enable-multibyte to properly display GTK+ titles.
But thats caused this new problem.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:50:02 +0200

> But thats caused this new problem.

The only explanation I can think of is that these fonts do not
support your locale.  If this is the case, setting

  $ export LANG=C
  $ export LC_CTYPE=""

before fvwm is started, the font should work again - at the cost
of not being able to display localised glyphs in window titles.
It seems that the "multibyte" code is not able to handle
multiple locales simultaneously and I don't understand how this
can be done in X.  So, your options are: don't use the multibyte
option and live with non-localised window titles.  Or use
different fonts that support your locale.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Max Ischenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:09:31 +0300

> different fonts that support your locale.

To summarize:
1. I see localised window titles of most apps (like GVim),
except mozilla/galeon with --disable-mb. If I build fvwm with
--enable-mb then _all_ window titles looks just fine, BUT fvwm complains
about my fonts as "invalid".

2. All looks fine under blackbox wm.

Thanks for the help anyway.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:06:31 +0200

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 07:09:31PM +0300, Max Ischenko wrote:
> except mozilla/galeon with --disable-mb.

Um, you have localised window titles *without* multibyte support
compiled in?  Then I do not understand anything about mb works with
X.  Can someone explain how this is possible?

> If I build fvwm with

Actually, X complains about this, not fvwm.  It would be possible
to fall back to using the "C" locale to load the font, but that
will require a major rewrite of the multibyte code (which will be
done anyway some time in the future).

> 2. All looks fine under blackbox wm.

We did claim that mb support is experimental, didn't we? ;-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:08:48 +0200

> 2. All looks fine under blackbox wm.

BTW, can you tell me where I can get these fonts and what your
locale is?

  $ locale

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Max Ischenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:23:38 +0300

> X.  Can someone explain how this is possible?

I'm using Russian and I don't ever need multibyte support. 
Cyrrilic is 8bit encoding.

$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_NUMERIC=POSIX
LC_TIME="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_ALL=

I'm using my windows fonts *.ttf for X (Arial, Courier New, etc.).
They support a bunch of encoding like koi8, iso*.

> done anyway some time in the future).

I'm sure russian can work without any multibyte support.
For example, I compiled Vim without multibyte and it grok me fine.

> We did claim that mb support is experimental, didn't we? ;-)

OK ;-)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:32:48 +0200

> They support a bunch of encoding like koi8, iso*.

Really, I'm only guessing.  I don't know much about how fonts work
in X.  The only thing I know is that XCreateFontList() fails with
"labelb" as the font list pattern.  The man page on that function
is hard to understand, but I think failure of this function means
that the font does not support the selected locale, i.e.
ru_RU.KOI8-R.

> For example, I compiled Vim without multibyte and it grok me fine.

Actually, the name of the --enable-multibyte option is misleading.
You need it not only for multibyte support but for any encoding
other than Latin1.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Max Ischenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:39:23 +0300

> that the font does not support the selected locale, i.e.

Sorry, can't help you more.