Subject: FVWM: keys XF86AudioRaiseVolume & XF86AudioLowerVolume ignored?

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 02:47:59 -0700

I already sent out this message before but I guess it was lost in
flood so here it goes again, any help appreciated:

I have set up the keyboard so that various extra keys send symbols (it's
a logitech cordless itouch keyboard). I used following option in
keyboard config part of XF86Config:

Option          "XkbModel"      "logicordless"

  xev confirms that the extra keys really generate proper symbols.

  I have set up fvwm 2.2.5 so that it does appropriate actions but it
looks like the keys for volume (XF86AudioRaiseVolume &
XF86AudioLowerVolume) are ignored. When I press them, nothing happens
(and there is nothing printed on stderr). Here's the relevant part of
fvwm config file:

...
Key XF86AudioMute        A N Exec exec amixer sset Master,0 0
Key XF86AudioRaiseVolume A N Exec exec amixer sset Master,0 5%+
Key XF86AudioLowerVolume A N Exec exec amixer sset Master,0 5%-
Key XF86AudioPlay        A N Exec exec xmms -p
...

  here's what xev says:

KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 837538822, (178,69), root:(197,118),
state 0x0, keycode 174 (keysym 0x1008ff11, XF86AudioLowerVolume),
same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 837568792, (178,71), root:(197,120),
state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x1008ff13, XF86AudioRaiseVolume),
same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

  is it possible they are ignored because of the length of symbol
string? The XF86Audio(Lower)|(Raise)Volume is the longest one I have in
fvwm config file.

  I am quite sure that they are 'strange' because when I set up
keybindings for a special key (say XF86AudioPlay) this key does not show
as XF86AudioPlay in xev output anymore but it produces following output:

FocusOut event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
0   

  since the volume keys still produce the keysyms in xev I guess the
keybinding was not successful (but there's nothing printed on stderr).

  the only reason I can think of is the length of keysym - the volume
keys have the longest string as keysym...

  TIA

	erik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:00:19 -0400 (EDT)

>From what you show below, it looks to me like it works.  Try to bind the
keys to something else which you know will work and have an obvious result
like

Key XF86AudioMute        A N Exec exec xterm

Tom

>     keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  

_________________________________________________________________________
Thomas Gardiner
[email-masked]

University of Rochester
Department of Physics and Astronomy
P. O. Box 270171
Rochester, NY 14627-0171

(716) 275-8557 Office
(716) 275-8527 fax
__________________________________________________________________________

The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
__________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:17:13 -0700

> Key XF86AudioMute        A N Exec exec xterm

  that key works. only the two XF86AudioRaiseVolume/XF86AudioLowerVolume
do not work, even if I bind exactly the same action as for working key.

  not only that, the bound keys do not show in xev (e.g. when I bind
XF86AudioMute it does not show with keysym XF86AudioMute un xev, see
below for details) but these two problem keys still show in xev with
their original keysyms.

  it looks like the key binding is not successfull but I get no error
message... might be time to look into source...

	erik