Subject: FVWM: keys XF86AudioRaiseVolume & XF86AudioLowerVolume ignored?

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:37:22 -0700

I have set up the keyboard so that various extra keys send symbols (it's
a logitech cordless itouch keyboard). I used following option in
keyboard config part of XF86Config:

Option          "XkbModel"      "logicordless"

  xev confirms that the extra keys really generate proper symbols.

  I have set up fvwm 2.2.5 so that it does appropriate actions but it
looks like the keys for volume (XF86AudioRaiseVolume &
XF86AudioLowerVolume) are ignored. When I press them, nothing happens
(and there is nothing printed on stderr). Here's the relevant part of
fvwm config file:

...
Key XF86AudioMute               A       N       Exec exec amixer sset
Master,0 0
Key XF86AudioRaiseVolume        A       N       Exec exec amixer sset
Master,0 5%+
Key XF86AudioLowerVolume        A       N       Exec exec amixer sset
Master,0 5%-
Key XF86AudioPlay               A       N       Exec exec xmms -p
...

  here's what xev says:

KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 837538822, (178,69), root:(197,118),
state 0x0, keycode 174 (keysym 0x1008ff11, XF86AudioLowerVolume),
same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 837568792, (178,71), root:(197,120),
state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x1008ff13, XF86AudioRaiseVolume),
same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

  is it possible they are ignored because of the length of symbol
string? The XF86Audio(Lower)|(Raise)Volume is the longest one I have in
fvwm config file.

  I am quite sure that they are 'strange' because when I set up
keybindings for a special key (say XF86AudioPlay) this key does not show
as XF86AudioPlay in xev output anymore but it produces following output:

FocusOut event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
0   

  since volume keys still produce the keysyms in xev I guess the
keybinding was not successful.

  the only reason I can think of is the length of keysym - the volume
keys have the longest string as keysym...

	erik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 20:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

>   xev confirms that the extra keys really generate proper symbols.

I don't know if this helps, but in the case of the Windows keys XFree used
to see them as regular keys and then one day, it started seeing them as
modifiers (not out of the blue, but with an upgrade). Maybe that's the
problem you're having. I use Xmodmap to remap my Windows keys. My
xmodmaprc looks like this:

keycode 115 = L5

> Key XF86AudioPlay               A       N       Exec exec xmms -p

Here's what I have (in case it helps).

Key Up          A       CM      exec aumix -v +2
Key Down        A       CM      exec aumix -v -2

I use CTRL-ALT-(UP|DOWN) to control volume. Comes in helluva handy :-)
			-peace

-- 
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:36:01 -0700

thanks for the info but that's not it, the window key and all other
keys are working fine (standard and non-standard logitech keys), the
only two keys that do not work are the volume keys - they show up when I
try them with xev but fvwm ignores them...

  is there any way to get the fvwm report the key-bindings?

	erik