Subject: FVWM: Dynamic content in FvwmForm

From: Barry Margolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:28:40 GMT

I'd like to be able to compute the default value for a field in FvwmForm
dynamically.  Specifically, I'd like it to default to the last response.  I
can have the command that the form runs save the value to a file, but I
haven't figured out a way to get it to read back in the next time the form
is used.  Anyone have an idea?

-- 
Barry Margolin, [email-masked]
Genuity, Burlington, MA
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 2001 17:03:18 -0400

%% Barry Margolin <[email-masked]> writes:

  bm> I'd like to be able to compute the default value for a field in
  bm> FvwmForm dynamically.  Specifically, I'd like it to default to the
  bm> last response.  I can have the command that the form runs save the
  bm> value to a file, but I haven't figured out a way to get it to read
  bm> back in the next time the form is used.  Anyone have an idea?

Whoa, serious deja vu! :)

Not trying to be snippy, but didn't we already have a long thread about
this last month or so, Barry?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:01:44 -0400

> is used.  Anyone have an idea?

Same answer, download the current beta.

FvwmForm-Rlogin

is an example.

Theres some discussion about modules reading their config files
in the newsgroup.  Most modules only deal with configuration
thats been stored up before they are invoked, but thats no longer
strictly true.  A module can ask for config lines to be sent
after it is active.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Barry Margolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:36:31 GMT

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
   Date: 25 Jun 2001 17:03:18 -0400

Yes.  I was told that the right place to ask was the fvwm mailing list.  I
got our admins to upgrade to the latest released version, couldn't see how
to do it, so now I'm asking in the correct place.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jun 2001 21:53:13 -0400

bm> Yes.  I was told that the right place to ask was the fvwm mailing
  bm> list.  I got our admins to upgrade to the latest released version,
  bm> couldn't see how to do it, so now I'm asking in the correct place.

Darn.  I could have sworn there was a medium-sized thread in response to
that post, discussing ways in which you could do this via PipeRead, or
rewriting config files, or all kinds of other methods.

But, it must have totally been my imagination because I can't find
anything like that in either Deja or the FVWM archives.

Strange.

I must be getting old.