Subject: FVWM: NEWBIE question: convert mouse to left-handed?

From: Angie Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:00:47 -0700

Ok, extremely newbie question here.  I've searched the FAQ and the list
archive for anything matching "left-handed"  or "mouse", but I couldn't find
my answer.

I use my mouse left-handed and I can't figure out how to map button 3 to be
my "main" button, instead of button 1 (for menubar actions, browser
hyperlinks, etc).

I have customized my mouse and key bindings for the builtin fvwm commands
(e.g. Raise, Iconify, Maximize, etc....), but I'm struggling with how to
remap the core, base functionality of my mouse.

Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks,
Angie

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:07:35 -0700

> Angie Lin wrote:
> 
> Ok, extremely newbie question here.  I've searched the FAQ and the
> list archive for anything matching "left-handed"  or "mouse", but I
> couldn't find my answer.
> 
> I use my mouse left-handed and I can't figure out how to map button 3
> to be my "main" button, instead of button 1 (for menubar actions,
> browser hyperlinks, etc).
> 
> I have customized my mouse and key bindings for the builtin fvwm
> commands (e.g. Raise, Iconify, Maximize, etc....), but I'm struggling
> with how to remap the core, base functionality of my mouse.
> 

  use xmodmap to remap the mouse button in X, then just do 'normal'
mouse bindings in fvwm...  see man xmodmap, search the man page for
'pointer', here's the most relevant part:

       Many pointers are designed such that the first  button  is
       pressed  using the index finger of the right hand.  People
       who are left-handed frequently find that it is  more  com
       fortable to reverse the button codes that get generated so
       that the primary button is pressed using the index  finger
       of  the  left  hand.   This  could  be  done on a 3 button
       pointer as follows:

            %  xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

  put that command somewhere in you X startup scripts...

	erik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].