Subject: FVWM: Sorting in FvwmWinList

From: Barry Margolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:30:42 GMT

I recently switched from twm to fvwm 2.2.4.  I'm using the FvwmWinList
module to replace the twm Icon Manager.  In twm I used the SortIconManager
command, is there any way to get the FvwmWinList module to keep its list
sorted in a predictable way?  It seems to default to adding windows at the
end of the list, although if I close the module and restart it they end up
in a pretty random order.

The WindowList command has an Alphabetic option, but I want a permanent
list of windows, not a temporary pop-up.

Last month I asked this question in the comp.windows.x.apps newsgroup, and
someone sent me the suggestion:

AddToFunc WL-Func "I" WindowList Alphabetic

I tried this but it didn't do anything AFAICT.

-- 
Barry Margolin, [email-masked]
Genuity, Burlington, MA
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:52:20 -0400

> I tried this but it didn't do anything AFAICT.

I just checked some of the traffic on comp.windows.x.apps.
I normally stick to comp.windows.x and I missed your questions.

As Paul indicated, its better to ask here.

I think FvwmIconMan is closer to what you are looking for.

Since you are just starting, you will be much better off using a current
beta.  Never fear, its stable.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Barry Margolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:40:05 GMT

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:52:20 -0400
   From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>

Yes, FvwmIconMan looks a little nicer.  If I upgrade to the beta, does it
have an option to show only icon names, like FvwmWinList does?  The names
are too long when it shows both the class and icon name (especially with
Netscape, which puts "Netscape:" at the beginning of its icon name, so
FvwmIconMan shows "Netscape: Netscape: <page title>", and the title is
mostly cut off).