Subject: FVWM: Mouseless configuration

From: Christian Lyra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:21:55 -0300

HI,

	I'm trying to config my FVWM so I have to touch the mouse for only few 
operations (none at all would be great :-) ). I already have keys to move 
from desk/page to desk/page, close windows, alternate windows, etc... but 
there's one thing I could find how to do: is there a way to "drag" or move a 
window only with keyboard? like pressing CMS + arrows ?

	Thanks,
			Christian Lyra
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Joseph Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:39:48 +0100 (IST)

>> window only with keyboard? like pressing CMS + arrows ?

Christian,

   Yes, this is possible and quite easy.  Here's (approx) what I use:

      # Shift + Arrow : move window to edge of desk

      Key Left  FSTW S Move  0  w Warp
      Key Right FSTW S Move -0  w Warp
      Key Up    FSTW S Move  w  0 Warp
      Key Down  FSTW S Move  w -0 Warp

      # Shift + Alt + Arrow : move window by 20 pixels

      Key Left  FSTW SM Move w-20p w Warp
      Key Right FSTW SM Move w+20p w Warp
      Key Up    FSTW SM Move w w-20p Warp
      Key Down  FSTW SM Move w w+20p Warp

      # Shift + Ctrl + Arrow : move window by 1 pixel

      Key Left  FSTW SC Move w-1p w Warp
      Key Right FSTW SC Move w+1p w Warp
      Key Up    FSTW SC Move w w-1p Warp
      Key Down  FSTW SC Move w w+1p Warp

   I hope that helps you.  I'm also a mouseless fanatic!

Cheers, Joseph

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joseph Manning / Computer Science / University College Cork / [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:17:38 +0000

> window only with keyboard? like pressing CMS + arrows ?

Joseph Manning already gave good examples of some non-interactive and
interactive window movement.

But there is another simple solution using built-in features of Move,
which fully supports keyboard. Just bind the Move command to a key, like:

  Key F7  A M Move
  Key F8  A M Resize
  Key F9  A M Iconify
  Key F10 A M Maximize

press Alt-F7 (like in mwm) and then use arrows to move a window in any
direction. Without any modifier the window size units are used for moving,
i.e. if you move an xterm with 7x13 font it is incremented in +-7 and +-13.
Use Shift with arrows to increment +-100, and Ctrl with arrows for +-1.
The same arrow key rules apply for resizing (Alt-F8 in this example).
Press Esc to cancel moving or resizing.

If you press Alt-F7 and Alt-F8 when no window is focussed, you are first
supplied with a cross cursor (configurable in CursorStyle SELECT) and
asked to select a window. This can be done using only a keyboard too,
the arrows and Shift and Ctrl modifiers behave as usual.
It is easier to see all this in action and understand.

These interactive features of the Move and Resize commands are correct for
the latest 2.3.x versions. Previous versions may behave differently.

Regards,
Mikhael.