Subject: Re: FVWM: Next Focus not cycling?

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:02:18 +0300 (IDT)

Hi

I wanted to reply in private, but the sender's address bounced, so...

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Dan Espen wrote:

> Tzafrir Cohen writes:

> > Any ideas? What should I check?
> 
> Download the 2.3.31 beta, its all built in and works very nicely.

Are you sure? Is this a known problem that was fixed somewhere?

I think that this problem is a bit to obvious to have been missed if it
had affected every user. So I figure that it is a more spesific problem.
Therefore the fact that it works fine for someone does not mean that an
upgrade will solve the problem (not to mention that it may introduce other
problems).

Building another version is a bit of a complicated operation. I'd like to
see if there aren't any better suggestions.

Also, someone remarked that I set:

Key Tab         A       M       Next (!Iconify CurrentScreen) Focus
Key Tab         A       MS      Prev (!Iconify CurrentScreen) Focus

but the last line should have had MS instead of SM . Is that correct? If
so: Is that docuemnted anywhere? I've tried changing that, and the problem
is not yet solved.

Thanks, anyway.

BTW: I got the error: '*FvwmTaskBar: cannot open console' . It appears
that the attempt to open /dev/console is indeed wrapped by NO_CONSOLE, but
NO_CONSOLE is not defined anywhere (even not in a remmed-out #define in
the beginning of FvwmTaskBar.c, and nothing in the toplevel config.h)

A problem I have with the taskbar is that the start button remains
depressed after the first time I press it (actually I use the task-bar
mainly as a windows list). 

One other thing regarding the taskbar: (I didn't bother checking if this
wasn't already fixed elsewhere): the pasrsing of the "FvwmTaskBarMailbox"
parameter is wrong: in extra/FvwmTaskBar/Goodies.c:GoodiesParseConfig(),
the length of "Mailbox" is assumed to be 11, while it is 7.

GodiesParseConfig also forgets to remove the newline char from the end of
the config line. Thus the mailbox path get parsed as
"/path/to/mailbox<NL>"

Personally for me this module seems quite handy as a windows list and a
mail notification/clock. I like the same settings in IceWM as well.

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 15:26:00 -0400

> I wanted to reply in private, but the sender's address bounced, so...

We like all replies to go back to [email-masked].  You should have been
able to respond to me, but stuff happens.

> Are you sure? Is this a known problem that was fixed somewhere?

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

In the  latest betas, there is  a  built in alt-tab  key  binding.  It
brings  up a   menu (windowlist) using   the new  "select on  release"
feature that lets  you hold down alt,  and keep pressing tab until you
get to the line you want.  When  you release the  keys, the window you
are on   in the  menu is  selected.    If you keep  pressing  tab, the
selection wraps from the bottom of the menu to the  top.  If you press
alt-tab-tab the previous window is selected.  If you iconify a window,
and press alt-tab the iconified window is selected.

In short, its perfect, and you don't have to put anything in your config
file.  Just like the original.

> see if there aren't any better suggestions.

Hmm, we don't think its that hard.  We do have RPMs available.

> so: Is that docuemnted anywhere? I've tried changing that, and the problem

I don't know, it doesn't seem to me like a good thing to use anyway.
Maybe someone else knows more about this if you really want to
go that way.

> mail notification/clock. I like the same settings in IceWM as well.

I don't use the TaskBar but I'm pretty sure this module recieved a lot
of attention in the recent betas.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:52:06 +0300 (IDT)

> file.  Just like the original.

I have no problem with editing config files. I put a special "config"
button in my Buttons to open .fvwm2rc .

OK. I downloaded,, compiled, copied it from the build machine, and ran it. 

There are some nice improvements. But the size has increased.

The windows list does not strike me as a good default: it lacks an
indication of whether the window is minimized, for instance. 

The "select on release" does not appear to be working.

When I press Enter I get the message:

  [FVWM][execute_function]: <<ERROR>> No such command 'WindowListFunc'

and nothing happens.

After I added the definition of WindowListFunc from ConfigFvwmDefaults all
I needed was to press enter.

And anyway, the original problem was not resolved: When I set my original
mapping of Alt-Tab, it still won't cycle through the list of windows: it
only advances in the list, and won't advance beyond the last window in the
list.

Is this a bug with me or is it a feature and I'm not reading the man page
correctly?

> 
> > I think that this problem is a bit to obvious to have been missedif it

For solaris? :(

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 18:02:57 -0400

> There are some nice improvements. But the size has increased.

Yep, sorry.  On my Solaris machine its still reasonable.
I might be singing a different tune if I still had my Sparc 1.

> indication of whether the window is minimized, for instance. 

The geometry of the window should be shown in parenthesis.

> I needed was to press enter.

When the build takes place the final location of ConfigFvwmDefaults gets
builtin to fvwm.  If you don't do a make install, and instead copy just
the binaries, you might get the symptom of WindowListFunc not defined.

I don't see what else could be missing, but perhaps if you fix the
problem with ConfigFvwmDefaults, selectonrelease will start working.

I'm not sure what you mean about the enter key.  The selectonrelease
stuff will only work with the alt-tab combination.

> only advances in the list, and won't advance beyond the last window in the

alt-tab will cycle thru the window list menu, when it reaches the end,
it cycles back to the beginning.  Isn't that what you want?

> > Hmm, we don't think its that hard.  We do have RPMs available.

Oops.  So many questions come in with the assumption that we know
they are using Linux.  I'm a die hard Solaris user too.

Well, its not that hard for Solaris either.  Use --prefix if you
aren't root.  It can be installed anywhere.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 12:36:13 +0000

> Hi

Yom Tov.

> so: Is that docuemnted anywhere? I've tried changing that, and the problem

The order (MS vus SM) does not matter.

> the beginning of FvwmTaskBar.c, and nothing in the toplevel config.h)

I think this problem was fixed several months ago in betas.

> mainly as a windows list). 

Fixed in betas.

> the config line. Thus the mailbox path get parsed as

Fixed in betas.

> mail notification/clock. I like the same settings in IceWM as well.

Regards,
Mikhael.