Subject: FVWM: RE: fvwm2 up and running on Cygwin

From: "Adye, TJ (Tim) " <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:16:45 +0100

Hi Neil,

> I am using the version of cygwin from January with DLL 
> version major 1001,
> minor 8, epoch 19. The newer version of cygwin has a prebuilt 
> version of the XPM package as well among other enhancements.
>
> Fvwm version 2.3.32 has the same problem as 2.3.31 (not 
> really a problem though) which is that make halts when mkfifo
> is encountered just before the FvwmCommand/FvwmCommandS stuff.

A dummy mkfifo is included in the latest versions of Cygwin (it's in 1.3.1).
This means that the build goes OK, though FvwmCommand still doesn't work.

For previous versions of Cygwin, you can use "make -i -k" to ignore errors,
though you'll have to watch the output more carefully in case there's some
other fatal error.

> Theoretically it should be possible to fix this becaue the
> configure script detects POSIX compliance as not being available.

That's a good point. I notice that configure already checks for mkfifo.
Wouldn't it be best to disable the compilation of FvwmCommand if this check
fails (I assume this doesn't happen now)? With the dummy mkfifo in the new
Cygwin, the configure check passes, so we'd still get a broken FvwmCommand -
but at least then the build would work in all these cases.

Tim.

==============================  cut here  ==============================
Tim Adye, BaBar/DELPHI Groups, Particle Physics Dept.,     _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   [email-masked] or VXCERN::ADYE (HEPNET/SPAN)  =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:55:34 +0000

> but at least then the build would work in all these cases.

Ok, here is a patch for old Cygwin versions. Add these 3 lines to the end
of modules/FvwmCommand/FvwmCommand.h:

#ifndef HAVE_MKFIFO
#define mkfifo(path, mode) ((errno = ENOSYS) - ENOSYS - 1)
#endif

I will apply this if someone with old Cygwin versions test that there are
no other problems. I don't have non POSIX systems.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:59:46 -0230 (NDT)

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Adye, TJ (Tim)  wrote:

> fails

Yes. This is what I meant originally.

 (I assume this doesn't happen now)? With the dummy mkfifo in the new
> Cygwin, the configure check passes, so we'd still get a broken FvwmCommand -

Out of curiosity does the dummy mkfifo pass the POSIX compliance test?
I would assume not. Hence there should also be a way for the configure
script to check whether or not mkfifo works. How much of FvwmCommand
works without mkfifo? Is it possible to code an alternative version of
mkfifo that would work with cygwin using some trick? The alternative
version would then be compiled in conditionally.

> but at least then the build would work in all these cases.

Yes, this would be good.

Thanks,

Neil