Subject: FVWM: New problems since 2.3.6

From: "Adye, TJ (Tim) " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 23:32:24 +0100

Hi,

For some time, I have been using fvwm 2.3.6 built under Cygwin on Windows
NT/2K with the Exceed 6.2 X-server (multi-window mode). I recently upgraded
to the latest version (2.3.31). First let me congratulate you on a perfect
build: it compiled and ran out of the box with no errors, the new sample-95
configuration procedure ran like a dream, and a number of problems I had
become accustomed to with the old version are now cured. Unfortunately a few
new ones (not in fvwm 2.3.6) seem to have crept in:-

1) I use ClickToFocus. This mostly works correctly with X and native windows
together, but if the active X-window is behind a native window, it is raised
if the cursor moves over it (rather like MouseFocus). I tried turning on
BugOpts RaiseOverNativeWindows, but this doesn't seem to make any difference
(I guess it's switched on automatically). As one might expect, turning it
off prevents X-windows being raised over the native window at all (even by a
click).

2) Deiconising or switching to a window (by menu or taskbar) does an
annoying full screen refresh. This doesn't happen when the window is
selected by just clicking on it.

3) In my FvwmButtons (edited a little to conform to the new syntax) I have
buttons like

     *BarButtons(Title XTerm, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" exec
xterm`)

which I think should mean that the button remains shown as depressed until
the XTerm window appears (this is what used to happen). Now the button is
only shown depressed as long as mouse button is down. Is this a new bug, or
am I using the wrong syntax?

Thanks,
Tim.

==============================  cut here  ==============================
Tim Adye, BaBar/DELPHI Groups, Particle Physics Dept.,     _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   [email-masked] or VXCERN::ADYE (HEPNET/SPAN)  =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 16:22:19 -0400

> off prevents X-windows being raised over the native window at all (even by a

Does   clicking  on the  titlebar  vs.  clicking   in  the window  act
differently?  Have you looked at the various "ClickRaises" options?

> selected by just clicking on it.

I don't see this.  Are you using some kind of function to deiconify that
includes a refresh?

> am I using the wrong syntax?

I'm not sure, but it looks like there too many execs after action.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:40:54 +0200

> am I using the wrong syntax?

FvwmButtons does not have the functionality you describe.  You
are probably confusing this with the 'Swallow' option.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].