Subject: FVWM: restarting fvwm

From: schaecsn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:15:35 -0700

Hi [email-masked]

i try to explain my problem first:

when I press the pulldown menu of netscape the menu shows up as
expected, but once in a month netscape refuses to continue, it simply
stalls. When showing up the pulldown menu the mouse pointer changes its
shape, e.g. from an "X" to an arrow pointing north-east. A further
consequence of this is I can't focus any other windows anymore. Netscape
(or netscape's pull down menu) doesn't release the  focus.

So I switch back to a virtual console via CTRL-ALT-F1 and  kill netscape
with "pkill -9 netscape". switiching back to X reveals that netscape is
really dead but unfortunately the mouse is still an arrow pointing
north-east and thus I can't focus any other windows leaving X-windows in
an unusable state. now i have to kill x-windows from a virtual console
and start it, again ;-(

I hope that there is a way to restart fvwm from the console?
Maybe there are some other suggestions?

thanks for any help.

oh, here is my machine:
- Fvwm Version 2.2.4 compiled on Mar 25 2001 at 20:19:40
- Linux taipeh 2.4.4 #4 SMP Fri May 4 13:57:28 PDT 2001 i586
- anything else important?

- Stefan

(please make to reply not only to the list but also to me. thank you!)

-- 
   ___  ___       __         |   Name: Stefan Schäckeler
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail: [email-masked]
 /  /_/  /  _  \/  /\  \/  / |    day: Solaris 2.5.1, HP-UX 10.20
 \___,__/__//__/__/ /__/\__\ |  night: slackware 3.0, netbsd-alpha 1.5
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:29:45 +0000

> an unusable state. now i have to kill x-windows from a virtual console

Yes, I saw this Netscape's bug too. It leaves cursor grabbed.

> Maybe there are some other suggestions?

You may send SIGUSR1 to fvwm2 process in 2.2.x and 2.3.x versions:

  pkill -USR1 fvwm2

Another possible solution is to run FvwmCommandS and then execute from
the command line "FvwmCommand Restart".

But I am not sure whether restarting of FVWM solves this problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:27:31 -0700 (PDT)

> Yes, I saw this Netscape's bug too. It leaves cursor grabbed.

I've seen this also, although with a different app (not Netscape).

Granted a well-behaved app shouldn't lock up to the point of needing
kill -9 at any point, much less with the cursor grabbed; nevertheless
it seems like a bug somewhere (X server? Window Manager?) to allow
the cursor to remain grabbed after the window that grabbed it has
been destroyed.  Is there any prospect of fixing it, or does this
turn out to be one of those fundamental X problems that's not easily
fixed?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 11:41:55 +0000

On 18 May 2001 18:07:36 -0700, schaecsn wrote:
> 
> Hi Mikhael
> 
> Thanks for your answer. Sooner or later I have to try it out.
> Actually, how do you run FVWM commands?

You run them from .fvwm2rc directly or by binding to Key, Mouse or menus.
You can also run them in FvwmConsole interactivelly.

  # press Alt-F12 to run FvwmConsole
  Key F12 A M Module FvwmConsole

If you ask how to run FvwmCommandS (a server for FvwmCommand), simply put
this word in your .fvwm2rc or start it from StartFunction, where you start
all other persistent modules:

  AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmCommandS

Then from the command line (shell, not .fvwm2rc) execute:

  FvwmCommand 'Next (xterm) Move w+2 w+2'

Regards,
Mikhael.

> Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:16:15 +0200

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 01:27:31PM -0700, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> been destroyed.

If it's really netscape that has grabbed the cursor, X must
release the grab after netscape is killed.  So its either an X11
bug or a different application has grabbed the cursor (the window
manager?).  Since the cursor has still the shape of the netscape
menu cursor it awfully looks like a bug in X11.  There is a simple
way to find out where the bug is:  kill all X applications one by
one from the console and see if the cursor is ungrabbed after
killing one of them.  If the cursor is still forzen after all X
applications have been killed, it must be an X bug.

Restarting fvwm2 will only help if fvwm grabbed the cursor.

> Is there any prospect of fixing it, or does this

That's hard to say without actually knowing where the problem
comes from.  I experience spurious lockups with XFree 3.3.x and
4.x especially when switching X servers or between X server and
console, so it may well be a problem of the X server.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].