Subject: FVWM: fvwm on XDarwin

From: Jim Hickstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:57:34 -0700

I'm trying unsuccessfully to build fvwm-2.2.5 on XFree86 4.0.2 as ported to 
MacOS X, i.e. XDarwin.

Make fails with this:

Making all in fvwm
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../libs  -I/usr/X11R6/include    -g -O2 
-c add_window.c
add_window.c:110: illegal expression, found `void'
fvwm.h:55: parse error in conditional expression
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic 
mode
make[2]: *** [add_window.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Am I doing something stupid?  (Besides trying it, I mean.)  I am _this 
close_ to the Holy Grail of getting xterms under fvwm and FrameMaker (among 
other things, inside Classic) to run on the same machine.  Has someone else 
tried this, yet?  Got it to work?  Can anyone suggest a fix?

"uname -a" returns this:

Darwin split.jxh.com 1.3.3 Darwin Kernel Version 1.3.3: Fri May  4 13:46:54 
PDT 2001; root:xnu/xnu-124.8.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

The OS is 10.0.3(4P13) on a Sawtooth G4/450DP(Gigabit).  I think I got all 
the necessary pieces of XFree86.  I know I installed the Apple Developer 
Tools disk.

Thanks!

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:41:35 -0700

> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I'd guess that your compiler isn't an ANSI compiler. I thought the
Darwin tools were based on FreeBSD-3.0, which would imply an older
version of gcc. That's an ANSI compiler. You might want to try
throwing an explicit CC variable for gcc when you configure, a la
"./configure CC=/path/to/gcc". Or possibly your cpp is broken, though
typically with gcc, cpp is simply "gcc -E". You might try overriding
CPP similarly to CC.
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
The life uncaffeinated is not worth living.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jim Hickstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:12:11 -0700

> I'd guess that your compiler isn't an ANSI compiler.

I looked into it a little.  It's worse than that: it's GCC, but a combined 
C/C++/ObjectiveC compiler with 40,000 lines of new Apple code in it.

Fortunately, there's a prebuilt port of fvwm-2.2.4 at www.darwinfo.org that 
I hope will work alright.  I'll tackle building things later.

Gotta love Google.