Subject: RE: FVWM: New problems since 2.3.6

From: "Adye, TJ (Tim) " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 01:01:49 +0100

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for looking into my problem.

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I searched up and down the code but I can't find any way how
> simply moving the pointer over the focused window could trigger
> raising or lowering windows.  You said that turning of the
> RaiseOverNativeWindows option 'fixes' the problem.  This proves
> that the RaiseOrLowerWindow() function is called when the pointer
> enters the window because it is the only place where the option is
> evaluated.

I wonder whether I could put a debugging message in RaiseOrLowerWindow(), or
somewhere else, to try to verify what is doing this. Would this help? Is
this the best place? (Sorry, it's a long time since I looked at the fvwm
code.)

> But fvwm does not call this function.  I can think of
> several possible explanations:
> 
>  1) Exceed raises the window.  Is there perhaps some setting in
>     Exceed for this?

Not as far as I can tell. Also if I go back to fvwm 2.3.6 (with identical
Exceed settings), I don't have this problem.

>  2) FvwmEvent is doing this.
>  3) FvwmAuto is running and configured to do this.

I don't use either FvwmEvent or FvwmAuto. In fact I can disable every fvwm
module (ps shows only fvwm2 running) and still see this problem.

>  4) The application raises itself.  This would mean that this
>     occurs only for some applications.

I tried various applications, both local (eg. xterm, rclock) and remote (eg.
emacs running from Solaris).

>  5) Other reasons?

By a process of elimination... :-)

Thanks,
Tim.

==============================  cut here  ==============================
Tim Adye, BaBar/DELPHI Groups, Particle Physics Dept.,     _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   [email-masked] or VXCERN::ADYE (HEPNET/SPAN)  =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Adye, TJ (Tim) " <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 02:28:18 +0100

Hi Dominik,

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:32:24PM +0100, Adye, TJ (Tim)  wrote:
> > > > 3) In my FvwmButtons (edited a little to conform to the new syntax)
I
> > > > have buttons like
> > > > 
> > > >      *BarButtons(Title XTerm, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm"
exec
> > > > xterm`)
> > > > 
> > > > which I think should mean that the button remains shown as depressed
> > > > until the XTerm window appears (this is what used to happen). 
> > > > Now the button is only shown depressed as long as mouse button is
down. 
> Fixed.

Thanks!

I downloaded the fvwm-snap-20010510.tar.gz snapshot, rebuilt, and indeed it
is fixed :-)

A couple of minor comments on the snapshot - if it's of any help:-

1) The build complained about missing libs/fvwmlib.h. I replaced libs/ with
../libs/ in Makefile.in to fix it.

2) I noticed the new comment in INSTALL.fvwm:-
     Cygwin users: try "make -i -k" and "make -i -k install" to work
     around the Cygwin problem, not supporting POSIX's mkfifo;
     FvwmCommand will be skipped.
In fact this is not necessary (of course it does no harm) in the latest
version of Cygwin, which includes a dummy version of mkfifo (just returns
-1, and errno=88=ENOSYS="Function not implemented"). Of course FvwmCommand
doesn't work, but it now builds OK.

Tim.