Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 does not manage Rational RoseRT windows

From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 May 2001 10:33:50 +0200

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:
    Dan> 
    Dan> Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> >>>>> Dan Espen writes:
    Dan> 
    Dan> Maybe someone did a local mod at your site and they are unsetting
    Dan> that environment variable in a startup wrapper for the application?
    >> great idea (why didn't I think of that?). I checked and found out that
    >> the RoseRT startup script explicitly sets MWWM to nothing. That wasn't
    >> any local change by the way. It's in the official startup script. So
    >> maybe a note should be added in the FAQ that the RoseRT startup script
    >> unsets this variable.  I'm going to report this to Rational and I'll
    >> follow up to this mail in case they'll give me some useful feedback.
    Dan> 
    Dan> Thats strange.  It seems to contradict what it says in their knowledge
    Dan> base.   The knowledge base doesn't mention modifying their script.
    Dan> I'll wait to hear from you  before I update  the FAQ.  When you
    Dan> do  get back, I'd  like to identify the  script by name.  Is it really
    Dan> RoseRT?  Probably the release would also be helpful.
the script name is "RoseRT",
release is: 2001.03.00
    Dan> 
    Dan> Why don't you find out if RationalRose support or MainWin support
    Dan> is as responsive as Fvwm support, and check with them?

ok, here's what they said (not much). They forwarded me (part of) a discussion
between 2 people from Rational Tech Support:

------------------------- snip ---------------------------------------------

Von: Rational Technical Support Europe 
Gesendet: Montag, 30. April 2001 10:34
An: Hochecker, Rainer; Rational Technical Support Europe
Betreff: RE: New CaseID: v0763648 -- RoseRT on Unix: MWWM

Hello Rainer,

I've been talking to my colleuges in Kanata and here is a short explanation.

*******************************
Back in RoseRT 6.1 and earlier days, the setting of MWWM to something (mwm
for me) was a workaround for one particular problem but also caused other
problems.  Development stated that "MWWM is a feature that has been
deprecated".  I assume they received this info from MainSoft.  As a result,
our Development asked me (others) to discontinue the use of it and that it
was at that time and for the future to be an unsupported environment.  They
also changed the RoseRT script to enforce this.
*******************************

What kind of problem were the customer having befor they started using the
MWWM variable, and what result got better?

------------------------- snip ---------------------------------------------

that's all I got so far, but I'll try to pester them for more information.

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
He who Laughs, Lasts.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].