Subject: FVWM: Next Focus not cycling?

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 22:45:59 +0300 (IDT)

Hi

I can't get Alt-tab to cycle through windows properly.

I set:

Key Tab         A       M       Next (!Iconify CurrentScreen) Focus
Key Tab         A       MS      Prev (!Iconify CurrentScreen) Focus

(or even when I simply put * as the condition)

Pressing Alt-Tab multiple times does not cycle through the windows list.
It stops with the last one.

When I replace Focus with FlipFocus I get the same behaviour.

I use fvwm 2.2.5, built on solaris 7, run on solaris 8.

I tried using sample/new-features as my .fvwm2rc , to make sure the
problem is not with my original .fvwm2rc (which is originally from a
fvwm2.0.42 copy, with a long history) .

Any ideas? What should I check?

-- 
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 15:52:42 -0400

> Any ideas? What should I check?

Download the 2.3.31 beta, its all built in and works very nicely.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 15:13:44 +0000

> It stops with the last one.

This may happen if you have some window on your way, like xclock, which
does not accept focus and thus breaking the circulation, use:

  Style xclock CirculateSkip

BTW, it should be "Iconic" condition not "Iconify", also there is no 
"CurrentScreen" condition, but "CurrentDesk" or "CurrentPage".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Tzafrir Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 23:00:10 +0300 (IDT)

> Style xclock CirculateSkip

It can be any window, including an xterm and FvwmButtons . It is simply
the last on the list. The strange thing is that a mouse press does seem to
modify the order of the list.

Pressing the first mouse button on the title is bound to the function
Move-or-Raise, which is:
AddToFunc "Move-or-Raise" "M" Move
+                         "M" Raise
+                         "C" Raise
+                         "D" Maximize 100 100

I can't check more at the moemnt, sorry.

> "CurrentScreen" condition, but "CurrentDesk" or "CurrentPage".

That's nice. Is there any "compiler" or such to check for irrelevant
conditions?

My sanity-check tools are the error messages sent by fvwm at load time,
and the syntax hilighting of vim . Apart from that I'm quite lost when
having to debug something.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 13:01:03 +0200

> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

The problem is that there are no irrelevant conditions.  When fvwm
encounters a string that does not match any of the predefined
tokens in a condition, it is taken as the name/class/resource of a
window.  In the case of the lines above fvwm has looked for
windows with the title "!Iconify" (and has silently ignored the
CurrentScreen part).  So the correct lines are

  Key Tab A M  Next (!Iconic CurrentPage) Focus
  Key Tab A MS Prev (!Iconic CurrentPage) Focus

(or CurrentDesk instead of CurrentPage).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].