Subject: FVWM: fvwm2-2.2.4 Modules Don't Work under Solaris 2.6

From: Paul Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:54:25 -0700

Friends -

I like fvwm/fvwm2 a lot and have generally used both on Solaris and Linux
w/o problems. *But* on my Solaris 2.6 box, the basic fvwm2 binary (ver
2.2.4) starts up okay but ALL modules Fail to run properly. They fail with
message like this even though the modules were built, installed in correct
directory and have CORRECT permissions:

[FVWM] [executeModule]: <<ERROR>> Execution of module failed:
/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/FvwmPager
Permission denied.

**--Furthermore, the funtion I consider Most indespensible (ability to move
between virtual desktops) appears not to have even been included with the
source distribution (downloaded from fvwm.org). That function appears to be
in module: WindowsDesk 
but there's no such module built by the installation. (configure/make/make
install)

*-Can anybody help me get these modules to work? fvwm2 leans so heavily on
the modules that without them it's no use at all. Plus CDE is nasty and I'm
stuck with it for now...

Thanks!

Paul Ellis
unix ops engineer
[email-masked]
925/598-3013 

*--This mail archived by the DigitalSafe(tm)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:30:18 -0400

> /usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/FvwmPager

When fvwm2 produces this message, it has just done a fork/execvp.
The execvp should transfer control to the module, but in your case
the execvp failed, and fvwm printed this message.

The permission denied comes from the OS, so there must be some kind
of permission problem.

If you just try to run "/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/FvwmPager" outside fvwm
does that work?   (It won't run, but it should give you a message
not "permission denied".)

There shouldn't be a newline between "failed:" and
"/usr/lib/X11/fvwm2/FvwmPager".  I'm guessing that you just put that
there for email purposes...

> but there's no such module built by the installation. (configure/make/make

I don't know what the WindowsDesk module is.  All Fvwm module names
start with Fvwm.  Perhaps thats a module alias you use?
A common way to move between virtual desktops is FvwmPager,
but it can be done other ways, mouse, keyboard, menu.  Not that I'm
suggesting that you don't need the modules.

> the modules that without them it's no use at all. Plus CDE is nasty and I'm

I had to use CDE for a day or 2, a few years back.  I didn't like
it much either.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:00:56 +0200

> not "permission denied".)

Also, please check if the PATH variable points to the correct
FvwmPager executable.  There may be old executables with the
wrong permissions in the PATH.

> I don't know what the WindowsDesk module is.

WindowsDesk is not a module but a command that existed in 2.0.x
and was replaced with the "MoveToDesk" command in 2.2.  From the
2.2 man page:

       MoveToDesk arg1 [ arg2 ] [ min max ]                                     
              Moves  the  selected  window  to  another   desktop               
              (workspace, room).                                                
                                                                                
              The arguments are the same as for the Desk command.               
              MoveToDesk is a replacement for the old WindowsDesk               
              command, which can no longer be used.                             

The old command was removed because the syntax has changed.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].