Subject: FVWM: Windowing Z-order

From: Colin Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:13:59 -0400

Is there any way (in the fvwm2rc file OR dynamically at runtime) in 
fvwm2 of specifying z-ordering of windows?

Here's what I need to do:

1) I have windows A, B, C, D and E (and B, C, and D are all spawned by A 
- not E)
2) window A is always below every other window
3) window B must stay below C (whenever the two are on screen at the 
same time)
4) window D must stay above B but below C
5) window E must stay above all other windows EXCEPT windows that it may 
spawn

Is there any way of doing something this complex with fvwm2?  If not, is 
there a window manager out there that can do this?

-- Thanks
Colin

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:21:00 -0400

> there a window manager out there that can do this?

The 2.3.x betas support "layers".
That should do what you want.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:23:39 +0200

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 06:13:59PM -0400, Colin Phillips wrote:
> Is there any way of doing something this complex with fvwm2?

You can do this with fvwm-2.3.x if all these windows can be
uniquely identified by name/icon name/class/resource:

  DefaultLayers 2 10 20
  Style A StaysOnBottom
  Style B Layer 4
  Style D Layer 6
  Style C Layer 8

Replace A, B, C and D with the unique title/... of the
corresponding windows and put this in yopur .fvwm2rc.

However, it is not possible to find out which window 'spawned'
another window.  Windows are created by applications, not by other
windows.  The X server does not pass the information which process
created a window to other clients.  Thus, in general it is
impossible to treat windows started from one shell differently
than windows started from a different shell.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Colin Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:12:25 -0400

Great!  Thanks!  Now, just a few more questions

1) Is there a limit to the number of layers I can have?
2) What is the most stable version of 2.3.x for doing this?  I currently 
have .30
3) Where is StaysOnBottom documented?

Thanks in advance!
-- Colin

-- 
Colin Phillips
Software Developer
OEone Corporation
#103 - 290 St-Joseph Blvd.
Hull, Quebec J8Y 3Y3
email: [email-masked]
phone: 819-770-3444 ext. 511

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:32:05 +0200

> 1) Is there a limit to the number of layers I can have?

Yes, you can have no more than 2147483647 layers.  I guess you
will encounter some difficulties creating this many windows :-)
The lowest layer you can use is 1.

> 2) What is the most stable version of 2.3.x for doing this?  I currently 

The latest released one is .32 which is also the most stable one.

> 3) Where is StaysOnBottom documented?

In the man page as an option of the "Style" command:

  StaysOnBottom puts the window in the bottom layer. This layer
  can be changed by the built-in command DefaultLayers; the
  default is 2.

Actually,

  Style foo StaysOnBottom

is equivalent to

  Style foo Layer <n>

where <n> is the first argument of the DefaultLayers command (or 2
if none is given).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^