Subject: FVWM: Cygwin + XPM + fvwm

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 07:14:47 -0230 (NDT)

Hello,

I ran fvwm2's configure on the latest net release of cygwin and I got a
message in a windows dialog box saying that the file libXpm.dll could not
be found in the specified path. For some reason it looks like the cygwin
team decided to place many dll files including libXpm.dll under
/usr/X11R6/bin or cygpath -w /usr/X11R6/bin to be precise.
Perhaps this decision was made because the windows Path
variable is used to point to both dll files and executables.
I resolved the problem by doing the following before running
the configure script:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

IMHO either fvwm2's configure should look in that place for the
file or cygwin should come with a preconfigured PATH variable including
thedirectory /usr/X11R6/bin as xpm is part of the cygwin package.
No other errors were encountered when installing fvwm2!

Thanks!

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:06:01 -0400

Currently, the cygwin-Xpm package installs libraries and dlls in the standard
/usr/lib /usr/bin /usr/include locations.  However, the cygwin-xfree
distribution ALSO installs libs and dlls related to Xpm into the standard
location for X libs: namely, /usr/X11R6/bin, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/X11R6/include.

Yes.  This is a duplication.  Duplication is bad.  I know.  I'm working on
fixing that.

I included Xpm in the "non-X" part of cygwin primarily because *my* Xpm
distribution contains a "no-X" version of libXpm.  I added the X-based version
as a bonus; perhaps that was a mistake.

In any case, *IF* you are using X-based apps with cygwin, and *IF* you have
installed the cygwin-xfree stuff (NOTE: cygwin-xfree is not an integral part of
cygwin and many people do NOT use X-based apps) -- but, if *you* do, then *you*
should add /usr/X11R6/bin to *your* path.

Cygwin should not take heroic measures to support stuff that isn't part of the
standard dist -- especially when those measures will slow cygwin down for the
rest of us (e.g. continually checking for executables in a non-existant
directory).

--Chuck

Neil Zanella wrote:
> Want to unsubscribe from this list?
> Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple