Subject: FVWM: alt-tab go byebye

From: Cameron Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:35:35 +1200

Eck! I recently upgraded to FVWM2.3.32 (So I could use the scroll mouse
on FvwmButtons). Unfortunately, I now find that my alt-tab settings no
longer
work. I've removed the default, before fvwm2 reads those configs, but to
no avail.

As a configuration, I use

DestroyFunc "alt-tab"
AddToFunc "alt-tab"          "I" Next ( CurrentDesk CurrentPage ) Focus
+                            "I" Current Raise
DestroyFunc "shift-alt-tab"
AddToFunc "shift-alt-tab"    "I" Prev ( CurrentDesk CurrentPage ) Focus
+                            "I" Current Raise

Key Tab A M -
Key Tab A MS -
#Key Tab         A       MS     Prev Focus
Key Tab         A       MS      Function "shift-alt-tab"
#Key Tab         A       M      Next Focus
Key Tab         A       M       Function "alt-tab"

Also, all of the key presses that used to go to the window manager, not
go
to the application, so in vim, if I type Ctrl-<rightarrow>, I end up in
insert
mode. Most annoying.

Also, I can no longer click inside a window (xterm) to select it, as I
could
before. I am using

Style "*" ClickToFocus
Style "*" ClickToFocusPassesClick, ClickToFocusRaises

I realise that this may be a much much. Is there a simple migration
guide for
uses of 2.2.x to 2.3.x? Or would it be easiest to start from scratch? In
which
case, which commands should I enter in order to blow away any default
dehaviour?

Thanks for your time and patience. (Looking forward to trying out
libstroke
later ;) Would be fun on a laptop... if only I didn;t sell mine...

-- 
Cameron Kerr -- cameron.kerr @ paradise.net.nz
Praise Slackware, our baud and saviour!
--
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 23:03:48 +0000

On 11 May 2001 23:35:35 +1200, Cameron Kerr wrote:
> longer work. I've removed the default, before fvwm2 reads those configs,
> but to no avail.
> 

This works for me. Although I myself would rewrite this to be more clean:

  DestroyFunc SelectWindow
  AddToFunc   SelectWindow
  + I Focus
  + I Raise
  + I WarpToFocus 50 50  # optional

  Key Tab A M  Prev SelectWindow
  Key Tab A MS Next SelectWindow

Do you mean Alt-Tab does nothing for you or does a wrong thing?

> go to the application, so in vim, if I type Ctrl-<rightarrow>, I end up
> in insert mode. Most annoying.

This should not be this way. Correctly defined Key bindings should work.

> could before. I am using

Unless you use other style lines later that match your xterm, it should
work as you expect, and it indeed works for me as expected.

All these problems may indicate that something went wrong, like:

  * you run an incorrect fvwm2 executable
  * your .fvwm2rc file is not read for some reason

If you think that these don't happen, please post here your full .fvwm2rc
file (you may skip menus or other private information if needed).

> guide for uses of 2.2.x to 2.3.x? Or would it be easiest to start from
> scratch? In which case, which commands should I enter in order to blow
> away any default dehaviour?

2.3.x is mostly 2.2.x compatible. You may run fvwm24_convert, it does some
job to make your fvwm2rc file up to date.

But usually you only need (optionally) to move ~/.fvwm2rc to ~/.fvwm/
directory, run a correct fvwm2 and see which warning you get on the
standard error. Then use the man page to fix these warnings one by one.

We here will help you to get a working setup, ask if there are any
migration problems.

Regards,
Mikhael.