Subject: FVWM: moving cursor to text area in new dialog box automatically

From: "Jeffrey D. Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 07:17:12 -0400

When I open an "Open Page" or "Search" dialog box in Netscape I would
like the cursor to appear in the text area. There are other examples
as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeffrey Adams

====================================================================
 Math Department                   Tel: 301-405-5493
 Room 2310			   Fax: 301-314-0827
 University of Maryland            www.math.umd.edu/~jda
 College Park, MD 20742		   [email-masked]
====================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:43:36 +0200

> as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In general, fvwm does not know anything about text input windows
of applications.  Applications do not announce that certain sub
windows are intended to take keyboard input or not.  So, if a
window has several sub windows that take keyboard input there is
no canonical way to warp the pointer to them.  If you only want to
be able to type into such a window, try

  Style * GrabFocusTransient

or for only selected windows:

  Style findDialog_popup GrabFocusTransient
  Style openURLDialog_popup GrabFocusTransient

(use FvwmIdent to find out name/class/resource of a window).  The
GrabFocusTransient option is new to the 2.3.x beta version.  To
actually warp the pointer into the window you could use FvwmEvent.
If you need help in setting up FvwmEvent, don't hesitate to ask.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].