Subject: RE: FVWM: New problems since 2.3.6

From: "Adye, TJ (Tim) " <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 18:25:43 +0100

Hi Dominik,

On Thu, 3 May 2001 11:40:54 +0200, Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:32:24PM +0100, Adye, TJ (Tim)  wrote:
> > 3) In my FvwmButtons (edited a little to conform to the new syntax) I
have
> > buttons like
> > 
> >      *BarButtons(Title XTerm, Icon rterm.xpm, Action `Exec "XTerm" exec
> > xterm`)
> > 
> > which I think should mean that the button remains shown as depressed
until
> > the XTerm window appears (this is what used to happen). Now the button
is
> > only shown depressed as long as mouse button is down. Is this a new bug,
or
> > am I using the wrong syntax?
> 
> FvwmButtons does not have the functionality you describe.  You
> are probably confusing this with the 'Swallow' option.

If that's true, it must have been removed recently. It used to do this in
2.3.6, and it's still in the (2.3.31) FvwmButtons man page:-

               Any fvwm command  is  recognized  by  FvwmButtons.
               See  fvwm2(1)  for more infomation.  The Exec com-
               mand has a small extension when used  in  Actions,
               its syntax is:

                 Exec ["hangon"] command

               When FvwmButtons finds such an Exec  command,  the
               button remains pushed in until a window whose name
               or class matches the quoted portion of the command
               is encountered. This is intended to provide visual
               feedback to  the  user  that  the  action  he  has
               requested will be performed. If the quoted portion
               contains no characters, then the button  will  pop
               out  immediately.   Note  that  users can continue
               pressing the button, and re-executing the command,
               even when it looks "pressed in."

I rather liked this functionality, but I agree that it's not a critical
feature. If it was decided to remove it (when did that happen - I didn't
notice it in the news?), then I guess the documentation should be updated.

In any case, this is just a minor quibble (sorry if I'm too much of a
pedant). My main problems are the spurious window raising and full-screen
refresh that I mentioned in my original message.

Thanks,
Tim.

==============================  cut here  ==============================
Tim Adye, BaBar/DELPHI Groups, Particle Physics Dept.,     _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   [email-masked] or VXCERN::ADYE (HEPNET/SPAN)  =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 20:12:34 +0200

>                even when it looks "pressed in."

Doh.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 13:54:42 +0200

> refresh that I mentioned in my original message.

Fixed.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].