Subject: FVWM: Alt+Tab Behavior

From: Christian Lyra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:25:41 -0300

Hi,

	Maybe I'm coming too late :-), but I have a tip for those of you who are 
looking for the standart Alt+Tab behavior in Fvwm. I mean switching between 
the various running programs....

	This line on .fvwm2rc do the trick. Note that the alt+tab are tied to 
winlist but  you can override this (at least with the last beta version... 
the one that I'm using :-) ).

Key Tab         A       M       Next [*] Focus

	You can go further and  use shift+alt+tab to switching in the reverse order:

key Tab         A       SM      Prev [*] Focus 

	But you can do some other tricks too... the [*] are used to define what 
Styles the Fvwm will look for when switching programs, so you can use keys to 
circulate between a group of windows.  Here I use Crtl+tab to circulate 
between my E-terms:

key Tab         A       C       Next [Eterm*] Focus

	May I sugest to include this on the FAQ?

	Christian Lyra
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:19:22 -0500

> Key Tab         A       M       Next [*] Focus

I myself prefer the default behaviour of Alt-Tab in 2.3.x, because it does
not immediately jump to a random (almost) window, like in your example. :)

> 	May I sugest to include this on the FAQ?

I think that if we are going to add something like this to FAQ we should
use round brackets, not obsolete square brackets. Also most of users would
probably want to call a user function here, like:

  Next (*, !Iconic, CurrentDesk) SelectWindow

so they would do more useful things in SelectWindow than just focusing,
for example, wrapping a cursor to a window center, raising, unshading.

Regards,
Mikhael.