Subject: FVWM: fvwm on cygwin

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:25:56 -0230 (NDT)

Hello,

I tried to install fvwm2 2.3.31 on Cygwin+XFree and got the following
errors at the make install stage:

FvwmCommandS.o(.text+0xb9e): undefined reference to `mkfifo'
FvwmCommandS.o(.text+0xbc7): undefined reference to `mkfifo'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [FvwmCommandS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules/FvwmCommand'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules/FvwmCommand'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Thanks,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:08:37 -0700

> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

mkfifo() is unsupported under Cygwin, which hardly comes as a
surprise, since most special files found in Unix have no corresponding
equivalent in Win32: symlinks, hard links, fifos, block specials,
character specials... Have a look at:

http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC18

for the entry for mkfifo().
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
A closed mouth gathers no foot
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 02:49:13 -0230 (NDT)

> for the entry for mkfifo().

You are perfectly right in pointing out that the FAQ mentions the
following: mkfifo: P 5.4.2.1 -- unimplemented!!!

Perhaps this problem can be solved by testing for the value of
either uname -s for CYGWIN_NT-5.0 and other values or $TERM
for cygwin in the make install script or something similar.
That way we could have a working make install under cygwin too.

Fvwm is great! Thanks!

Neil

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 06:04:39 -0400

> That way we could have a working make install under cygwin too.

Try doing "make -k".  Make will keep going even if there are errors.
See how much of fvwm you can build.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:49:06 -0230 (NDT)

> See how much of fvwm you can build.

I tried make -k but I still get the following errors and the install
process is terminated:

make[4]: Entering directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules/FvwmCommand'
gcc  -g -O2  -o FvwmCommandS  FvwmCommandS.o -L../../libs -lfvwm
FvwmCommandS.o(.text+0xb9e): undefined reference to `mkfifo'
FvwmCommandS.o(.text+0xbc7): undefined reference to `mkfifo'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [FvwmCommandS] Error 1
if test -n "/usr/bin/perl" -a -x "/usr/bin/perl"; then \
        /usr/bin/perl ./findcmd.pl /usr/local/bin -sh \
        < ../../fvwm/functions.c > FvwmCommand.sh; \
else echo '# Did not find perl during FVWM install' > FvwmCommand.sh; fi
if test -n "/usr/bin/perl" -a -x "/usr/bin/perl"; then \
        /usr/bin/perl ./findcmd.pl /usr/local/bin \
        < ../../fvwm/functions.c > FvwmCommand.pm; \
else echo '# Did not find perl during FVWM install' > FvwmCommand.pm; fi
make[4]: Target `all-am' not remade because of errors.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules/FvwmCommand'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules/FvwmCommand'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/paula/fvwm-2.3.31'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:31:35 -0400

> I tried make -k but I still get the following errors and the install

OK, try adding "-i" (ignore errors).

I'm just trying to find  out how many other problems  you are going to
encounter.  It must have already installed "fvwm2".  How does Fvwm work?

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:48:28 -0230 (NDT)

> OK, try adding "-i" (ignore errors).

When I did a make install -k -i things seemed to run rather smoothly
and I got no errors.

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:10:44 -0400

> When I did a make install -k -i things seemed to run rather smoothly

Just to make sure  you understand, you  did get  errors, but  the make
process continued anyway.  The only "mkfifo" that I  see in Fvwm is in
FvwmCommand.  This module didn't get built,  or got built incorrectly.
You probably don't need this module.  I don't know if you got any other
errors, you would have to look thru all the make output to know that.