Subject: FVWM: The Wait builtin and the window name -- what does fvwm Wait for?

From: "Florian v. Savigny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:42:46 +0200

I am trying to implement a function which causes a bunch of programs
to start on different places of my 3x2 virtual screen, approx. like
that:

    +---------+----------+----------+
    |	      |+------+	 | +-------+|
    |	      ||      |	 | | 	   ||
    |	      ||      |	 | |   	   ||
    |	      |+------+	 | +-------+|
    +---------|----------+----------+
    |+--+     |	+------+ |+--------+|
    ||__|     |	|      | ||	   ||
    |  	 +---+|	+------+ ||    	   ||
    |  	 |___||	       	 |+--------+|
    +---------+----------+----------+

As two of the applications don't listen to X geometry specifictions,
which was what I first tried, I tried to let the window manager handle
this with GotoPage or StartsOnPage:

1  AddToFunc MyFunction
2  + "I" GotoPage 2 1
3  + "I" Exec netscape /home/florian/texte/html/learn
4  + "I" Wait "Netscape: Directory listing of /home/florian/texte/html/learn"
5  + "I" GotoPage 1 1   
6  .                                                                          
7  . 

   (line numbers for demonstration only of course)

The problem with this is that Wait seems to wait forever: the rest of
the function below line 4 is not executed. I am puzzled about what
exactly Wait is expecting. The man page states that:

	   It causes a function to pause until a new window name
	   /name/ appears. /Fvwm/ remains fully functional during a
	   wait. 

(slashes used to indicate printing in italics here). I am unsure of
whether what is meant here is the window title as displayed in the
title bar or something else. I have inquired with xprop, which gives
the following output:

WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = 
    "Netscape: Directory listing of /home/florian/texte/html/learn"
WM_NAME(STRING) = 
    "Netscape: Directory listing of /home/florian/texte/html/learn"

and with xwininfo, which outputs

xwininfo: Window id: 0x2c00464 "Netscape: Directory listing of /home/florian/texte/html/learn"

So am I specifiying the wrong string here? The Wait thing worked fine
with things like

.
.
+ "I" Exec xterm -name "SomeName"
+ "I" Wait SomeName
+ "I" GotoPage 0 1
.
.

It did not work with Netscape, Amaya and Arena.

A similar problem with StartsOnPage:

Style "Netscape*" StartsOnPage 2 1 SkipMapping
Style "Amaya*" StartsOnPage 1 0 SkipMapping
Style "Arena*" StartsOnPage 1 1 SkipMapping

This had virtually no effect (they start where they are invoked). I
*have* set

Style "*" NoPPosition

I would appreciate helpful hints a lot.

-- 
                                               Florian von Savigny
__________________________________________________________________
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:07:49 -0400

> to start on different places of my 3x2 virtual screen, approx. like
...

With recent versions of Fvwm I position Netscape with:

Style "Netscape" StartsOnPage 0 0 1, SkipMapping
Style "Netscape" RandomPlacement
Style "*" UsePPosition
Style "Netscape*" NoPPosition

Fvwm matches styles to windows using either Name, Class, or Resource,
as shown by FvwmIdentify.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:24:01 +0000

On 28 Apr 2001 20:42:46 +0200, Florian v. Savigny wrote:
> to start on different places of my 3x2 virtual screen
> 
> (slashes used to indicate printing in italics here).

You should always specify your fvwm version, different answers may apply
to different versions.

Well, it seems you use one of the old fvwm versions, in the current man
page only the first word is italic. :-)

Wait command only supports double quotes starting from fvwm-2.3.16, if you
use an older version remove double quotes (yes, it may look strange).

Regards,
Mikhael.