Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm-2.3.30 not able to compile on SUNOS

From: Thomas Bark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:32:27 +0200

Hello Paul,

"Paul D. Smith" wrote:
> 
> Can you please give more information: what _version_ of SunOS are you
> using?  Also, are you using Openwindows or MIT/whatever X?
Yes, it's Openwindows.

> 
> Also, please make sure that your GCC was compiled for the same version
> of SunOS you're using (use gcc -v and check what architecture it was
> built for); often on Sun systems we see problems where GCC was compiled
> for Solaris 2.5.1 but you're trying to build with it on Solaris 2.6, or
> something like that.

uname -a
SunOS name 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

gcc -v
Reading specs from
/tools/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5/2.7.2pl6/specs
gcc version 2.7.2 (patchlevel 6 compiled on Jul 15 1996, 09:40:42)

So it seems gcc is compiled for solaris 2.5 and I'm using 2.6.
/tools/gcc is a symlink to /tools/gcc-2.7.2pl6, but there is also a
directory
/tools/gcc-2.95.3-5.6.

How do I tell configure to use this version?

> Let us know; thanks.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 06:51:21 -0500

> How do I tell configure to use this version?

You may either change your PATH so another gcc is current or export CC
to point to a correct executable, like:

  env CC=/tools/gcc-2.95.3-5.6/bin/gcc ./configure [configure-params]

This should be enough if your gcc-2.95.3-5.6 is installed correctly.
Also remove config.cache, so configure forgets the previously found gcc.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Thomas Bark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:39:46 +0200

Hello Mikhael,

reading the configure script I realized to set CC, but of course I
didn't know to remove
config.cache.
Now it works :-)

Thanks to you and the newsgroup.
regards
Thomas

> Goikhman wrote: