Subject: FVWM: disappearing windows

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:37:34 -0800 (PST)

I have a problem which is not caused by FVWM, but am hoping that
maybe FVWM can help fix it.

One particular sort of xterm, created by another application as
a "vi" edit window, vanishes almost instantly after appearing.
I suppose there's an error message, but it disappears before it
can be read.  I haven't found a way to redirect such messages to
a file -- "exec > ~/CC 2>&1" at the top of .bashrc does not even
create the CC file in this situation.

Is there any way to tell FVWM to retain the xterm window until I
close it, even after the process that created it exits?  I didn't
find anything relevant in the manpage by searching for "destroy"
and "close", but maybe those aren't the right words to look for.

Fvwm Version 2.2.4 compiled on Feb  4 2000 at 03:41:44
Red Hat Linux 6.2
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:59:49 -0500

> create the CC file in this situation.

Please supply  some   details about    what  you've  intsructed    the
application to do to invoke vi in an xterm.

You want to get it to do somthing like:

  xterm -e vi filename

In some programs, this might be done like this:

export $XXEDITOR='xterm -e vi %s'

You could try:

export $XXEDITOR='xterm -e vi %s >/tmp/test.out 2>&1'

> and "close", but maybe those aren't the right words to look for.

To catch a window closing, you would use FvwmEvent.
I don't think that will help though.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].