Subject: FVWM: strange keybinding requirement

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:23:25 +1100

Hi,

Here is a really strange keybinding requirement that I cannot really figure it
out how to do it in fvwm2.

I know that fvwm2 can bind any operations to a key including all the mouse
operations. But sometimes, there will be too many keys to remember.

Is it possible to:

Bind the action Mouse Click 1 to a key?

In this way, I can bind 3 keys to three mouse buttons and perform all the cool
stuff such as click the title bars, iconize the windows, click in the background
and so on. Comments?

Regards,

Shao.
-- 
Shao Zhang                          Tel:  (02) 9209 4838
Software Engineer                   Fax:  (02) 9209 4992
Redfern Broadband Networks (RBN)    Mail: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:48:36 +0100

>From the fvwm FAQ:

---------------------------- snip ----------------------------------
3.5  You can bind mouse movements to keystrokes, how about mouse
     presses?

A: Although fvwm has commands for binding movements to keystrokes,
   controlling the pointer with the keyboard should really be handled by
   the X server. The following is an excerpt of the X FAQ on this topic:

      If you have the X Keyboard (XKB) Extension, you can enable mouse keys,
      which makes it possible to generate mouse motion and button events
      using the keyboard.   Events generated by MouseKeys are completely
      transparent -- they will work with any application that connects to a
      server that has the X Keyboard Extension, regardless of whether the
      application itself uses XKB.

      XKB is enabled by default in X11R6.1.

      First, set up the Num Lock key so that Shift+Num_Lock toggles mouse keys:

       xmodmap -e "keysym Num_Lock = Num_Lock Pointer_EnableKeys"

      (XFree86 3.1.2E is based on R6.1 and has the X Keyboard Extension;
      it also has a binding to Pointer_EnableKeys in its default keymap.
      You use Alt+Shift+Num_Lock to toggle MouseKeys on and off.  If you
      are using an earlier release of X or XFree86, you won't have XKB and
      the instructions will not work. See http://www.XFree86.org/FAQ for
      more information.)

      You might also have to turn off server num lock for this to work.
      Now press "Shift+Num_Lock" to enable MouseKeys.  When MouseKeys are on:

      o)   The keypad arrow keys move the pointer
      o)   The keypad '5' key behaves like the 'default' pointer button
      o)   The keypad '0' key locks the default pointer button (for easy
           dragging)
      o)   The keypad '.' key unlock the default pointer button (to release
           a drag)
      o)   The keypad '+' key double-clicks the default pointer button.
      o)   The keypad '/' key sets the 'default' button to Button1
      o)   The keypad '*' key sets the default button to Button2
      o)   The keypad '-' key sets the default button to Button3

      This is the default configuration, but the mechanism allows for nearly
      infinite configurability.
---------------------------- snip ----------------------------------

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].