Subject: FVWM: Some Default Decor ...

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:19:55 +0100

hi list!

i have several different xterms (aterms in fact) which are used to log
on to different machines. to recognize better where i am in, i colorize
the titles in a different way for each server. when i start them up,
the title changes to the machine name, so i can easily create a decor
for each of them. that is working fine.

the other point is, that i'd like to have some default styles on all of
my windows. that is buttons, title position and so on. right now, i have
to define one "Default" Decor for all windows, and several other decors
for all the machines. all those decors contain *all* the styles right
now: TitleStyle, ButtonStyle, BorderStyle... . when i want to change for
example the appearance of a button, i have to change this in all the
styles which is really annoying (for i am still searching for *the*
buttonstyle *gg*).

is there a way to have something like this:

# these are global settings, used for ALL windows!
AddToStyle Global
+	TitleStyle RightJustified
+	Button 1 Pixmap bla.xpm
+	ButtonStyle All -- UseTitleStyle
+	BorderStyle -- HiddenHandles NoInset

# this is for xterms only (e.g)
AddToStyle xtermStyle
+	TitleStyle HGradient 128 MediumSeaGreen black
# all the rest will be taken from Global

is this possible? i already tried with "AddToStyle Default", but this
works only for windows without *any* decoration. Also i tried to use
UseStyle within AddToStyle, this didn't work either.

can you help me, will you?

thanks in advance

andré

-- 
Real software engineers work from 9 to 5, because that is the way the
job is described in the formal spec.  Working late would feel like
using an undocumented external procedure.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: S Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:08:44 -0700

> styles which is really annoying (for i am still searching for *the*

http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0011/msg00306.html
mabey this helps?

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:39:54 +0100

> http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0011/msg00306.html

hey, this is great. thanks a lot! sorry for 
- not being patient enough to search the archives
- not knowing about the *real* power of fvwm functions

yours

andré

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:00:51 +0100

hm, once again, i was too quick answering.

i am using this version (from cvs of the same day):

andre@grischun02:~ > fvwm2 -version
FVWM version 2.3.29 compiled on Mar  2 2001 at 16:20:22
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM

and now have these lines in my rc:

DestroyFunc InitializeDecor
AddToFunc InitializeDecor
+ I DestroyDecor $0
+ I AddToDecor $0
+ I +   TitleStyle RightJustified 
+ I +   ButtonStyle All ActiveUp (-- flat) Inactive (-- flat)
+ I +   ButtonStyle All -- UseTitleStyle
+ I +   ButtonStyle 4 8 70x10@0 30x10@0 30x50@0 10x50@0 50x90@0 90x50@1
70x50@1 70x10@1
+ I +   ButtonStyle 1 13 90x10@0 10x10@0 10x20@0 50x20@1 10x60@0 30x60@0
30x90@0 70x90@1 70x60@1 90x60@1 50x20@1 90x20@1 90x10@1
+ I +   ButtonStyle 2 8 50x10@0 10x50@0 30x50@0 30x90@0 70x90@1 70x50@1
90x50@1 50x10@1 
+ I +   TitleStyle -- flat
+ I +   BorderStyle -- HiddenHandles NoInset

Function InitializeDecor AtermDecor
AddToDecor AtermDecor
+       TitleStyle HGradient 128 DeepSkyBlue4 black
Style AtermStyle UseDecor AtermDecor, Color white/grey50, HilightFore
white

...

mark the "Function" statement which does not appear in mikhaels example.
it's needed with my fvwm2 because otherwise fvwm2 thinks this should be
a command:

[FVWM][ExecuteFunction]: <<ERROR>> No such command 'InitializeDecor'

what's wrong?

thx

andré

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:19:29 +0100

> Style AtermStyle UseDecor AtermDecor, Color white/grey50, HilightFore

hey, i found the problem!

first i have to define the function and *afterwards* call it! my config
file had the wrong order (not like the example above)

thanks!

andré