Subject: FVWM: Help autostarting programs

From: Gorham Miscall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 01:26:08 -0500

Hi,
	
	I am running FVWM 2.3.28 and FVWM-THEMES v 0.41 on a SuSE 6.2 system.

It seems that any changes that I make to my $HOME/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc file
are not reflected upon FVWM startup.  Where should I make my changes? 
Currently, I am just trying to get Fvwm2 to startup with a couple of
Xterms on the desktop.  I have added the following line to the
InitFunction of the .fvwm2rc file.  + I exec xterm -geometry
80x24+220+263.

I am using fvwm-themes-start  as the WINDOWMANAGER

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gorham

-- 
"...And the sea shall grant each man new hope."
     - C. Columbus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:36:51 -0600

> I am using fvwm-themes-start  as the WINDOWMANAGER

In fvwm-themes, $HOME/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc is not used.
Only files and directories with prefix ~/.fvwm/themes* are used.

I suggest you to read the FAQ, available from the root menus or web:

  http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/doc/FAQ

In short, you should define InitFunction and StartFunction in the
~/.fvwm/themes/personal/startup file, then "Refresh the current theme"
and load "startup" component from "personal" theme from a menu.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:25:20 -0500

> and load "startup" component from "personal" theme from a menu.

I think you can do:

fvwm-themes-start -- -cmd Read .fvwm2rc

or start fvwm2 normally and
then put "Read themes-rc" toward the front of your .fvwm2rc.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:34:44 -0600

> then put "Read themes-rc" toward the front of your .fvwm2rc.

You can do this as a temporary solution, but this is not supported. If you
use this on a regular basis you don't get a fully functional fvwm-themes.
There is a support of "personal" theme for additions like starting xterms.

If you need to use your .fvwm2rc configuration with fvwm-themes, I really
suggest to spend some time and divide it to components like "menustyle",
"windowlook", "colors", "globalfeel", "modules", see doc/creating-themes.
You will not feel sorry for spending your time, because:

  1) Your config will work nice with other themes (any component mixes)
  2) You will get help and advice in creating themes if needed
  3) You can distribute your working out of the box theme to others

Regards,
Mikhael.