Subject: FVWM: Ignore Raise/Lower requests from applications?

From: Wesley Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:09:54 -0600

I'm running Fvwm 2.3.21 on an HP-UX 10.20 system.

Is there a way to tell fvwm to ignore requests from an appliaction 
to raise or lower its window(s)?  I have an app that will, for no
apparant reason, suddenly lower one of its windows out of view.
I'd like to be able to configure fvwm to only listen to _me_ for
raise/lower instructions for this app.

Any ideas?

-- 
Wesley Hart

	I don't have an attitude problem -- You have a perception problem.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:59:36 +0100

> raise/lower instructions for this app.

Yes:

  Style * IgnoreRestack

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Perry Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:01:28 -0800 (PST)

I've got an application which annoyingly places its "Do you really
want to Exit?" popup at [0,0], regardless of where its main window
is or where the mouse is located.  I'd like for that popup to appear
near or within the main window, or better yet near the current mouse
location.  Specifying NoPPosition or UsePPosition does not seem
to affect matters, and nothing else in the Style command sounds
applicable.  Is there a reasonably simple way of doing this with

Fvwm Version 2.2.4 compiled on Feb  4 2000 at 03:41:44
on Red Hat Linux 6.2?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:11:26 +0100

> Fvwm Version 2.2.4 compiled on Feb  4 2000 at 03:41:44

Since you already tried NoPPosition, the window must be a
transient window.  Fvwm lets applications place their transient
window wherever they wish - which is sometimes not what the user
wants.  You can try to put a geometry resource in your .Xdefaults
or .Xresources file.  This may convince the application to use the
position you want, but maybe not.  If this fails, all you can do
is program a trigger with FvwmEvent that catches the window when
it is created and moves it to a better position.  If you need help
for this setup, just say so.

Some dasy in the future there will surely be an option to allow
normal placement of transient windows.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^