Subject: FVWM: Wrong icon ...

From: David Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:48:03 +0530

Hi All,

    I've got a strange problem regarding iconising netscape. The scenario
is as follows:

    * In my .fvwm2rc file I have (among other things):
      Style "Netscap*"   Icon netscape.xpm, IconBox 32x900-1+50

    * I start netscape.

    * If I iconise this window, the icon I get is NOT netscape.xpm - its
      the netscape icon that comes with the application.

    * Now I open a new browser window and iconise this new window. The
      icon shown IS netscape.xpm. In fact, for all subsequent windows,
      the correct icon is shown. The first window, however, still does
      not iconise to netscape.xpm.

    * I Restart Fvwm and iconise the original (first) netscape window.

    * The icon shown now is the correct netscape.xpm icon.

    * The same thing does NOT happen with, say, ghostview.

    Am I missing something?! Is it a bug with fvwm2? BTW,

    fvwm2 -version:
        FVWM version 2.3.28 compiled on Feb 26 2001 at 14:04:22
        with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM

    Any help/explanation is appreciated.

    Thanks.

--
Koo
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 06:27:29 -0500

>         with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM

There were a whole series of changes to icon handling starting before 2.3.28
and ending afer 2.3.28.  Please update to 2.3.29 and let us know if you
still have a problem.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: David Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:40:44 +0530

I've updated my fvwm2 to 2.3.29 ... no change!

--
Koo

::: >     * In my .fvwm2rc file I have (among other things):
::: >       Style "Netscap*"   Icon netscape.xpm, IconBox 32x900-1+50
::: > 
::: >     * I start netscape.
::: > 
::: >     * If I iconise this window, the icon I get is NOT netscape.xpm - its
::: >       the netscape icon that comes with the application.
::: > 
::: >     * Now I open a new browser window and iconise this new window. The
::: >       icon shown IS netscape.xpm. In fact, for all subsequent windows,
::: >       the correct icon is shown. The first window, however, still does
::: >       not iconise to netscape.xpm.
::: > 
::: >     * I Restart Fvwm and iconise the original (first) netscape window.
::: > 
::: >     * The icon shown now is the correct netscape.xpm icon.
::: > 
::: >     * The same thing does NOT happen with, say, ghostview.
::: > 
::: >     Am I missing something?! Is it a bug with fvwm2? BTW,
::: > 
::: >     fvwm2 -version:
::: >         FVWM version 2.3.28 compiled on Feb 26 2001 at 14:04:22
::: >         with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM
::: 
::: There were a whole series of changes to icon handling starting before 2.3.28
::: and ending afer 2.3.28.  Please update to 2.3.29 and let us know if you
::: still have a problem.

---

From: David Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:53:42 +0530

:::     I've updated my fvwm2 to 2.3.29 ... no change!

    After going through the manual I added a

         Style "*" IconOverride

    and got it working. Thought I'd let the list know!

    Moral of the story: read the manual, even if its painful to do so!

    I have been using (more or less) the same .fvwm2rc file since the
older version 2.x days and haven't given the manual a serious re-read
till now!!! Thought it was high time to brush up what I know of fvwm2
...  boy was it due ;-)!

    Signs of old-age and decay from the industry ;-))!