Subject: FVWM: Shafted by SuSE

From: Tim Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:02:39 -0800

I just loaded SuSE 7.1 onto a newly built computer, and when I
transplanted my .fvwm2rc file to my new home directory I was in for a
nasty surprise.  All the icons have been moved, rearranged into several
(25 or so) directories. FvwmButtons is now half-height, and shows text
only.

I'm trying to automate the process of updating  PicmapPath and
IconPath.  

1)	When declaring a path, can I use a newline character "\?"
2)	Can I put these paths in a separate file and reference them in some
way so that FVWM2 finds them?

-- 
British Israelites:
	The British Israelites believe the white Anglo-Saxons of
Britain to be descended from the ten lost tribes of Israel deported by
Sargon of Assyria on the fall of Sumeria in 721 B.C. ... They further
believe that the future can be foretold by the measurements of the
Great Pyramid, which probably means it will be big and yellow and in
the hand of the Arabs.  They also believe that if you sleep with your
head under the pillow a fairy will come and take all your teeth.
		-- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:15:56 +0100

> 1)	When declaring a path, can I use a newline character "\?"

Yes.

> way so that FVWM2 finds them?

You can put the PixmapPath command into a separate file and use
the "Read" command:

Put this in your .fvwm2rc file:

  Read .fvwm2rc.imagepath

And then create a file .fvwm2rc.imagepath:

  PixmapPath /foo:/bar/baz

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:19:46 -0500

> And then create a file .fvwm2rc.imagepath:

I think what you've got there is fvwm2.2.4.

When Suse built fvwm2 they should have built-in the path to
where all the icons are.  If they did, you don't have to worry
about the path to the icons.

Both PixmapPath and IconPath are obsolete, you should use
the ImagePath command.

Is this what you want?

PipeRead 'print -n "ImagePath "; for i in `find /suse/icons` ;\
  do print -n "$i:" ; done; print "+"'

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:44:50 -0500

>   do print -n "$i:" ; done; print "+"'

Sorry, I meant to write:

PipeRead 'print -n "ImagePath "; for i in `find /suse/icons -type d -print` ;\
  do print -n "$i:" ; done; print "+"'

---

From: Tim Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:30:40 -0800

> I think what you've got there is fvwm2.2.4.

Yup.
 
> about the path to the icons.

Well, they did, but they created an ./all directory and put in a bunch
of links to where the files are really.  They prepended "mini.",
"normal.", etc. to each link.  Finally, they went through the whole
.fvwm2rc file and prepended every reference to the new link name.  That
works okay for their prepackaged .fvwm2rc, but those of us who have
extensively modified our .fvwm2rc files are stuck with either redoing
all our changes or going through .fvwm2rc and prepending the link name
to each image file.  Bummer.

I suppose this is venturing from a strictly FVWM conversation, but I
would like to find each directory which contains an *.xpm file and write
that directory to a text file, so that when I'm done I have a listing of
each directory which should go into an ImagePath statement.  Massage the
textfile slightly to make it FVWM legal, then name it ./
.fvwm2rc.imagepath.  That would solve the problem for now, and also next
time they change things again.  

I am somewhat familiar with sed.  Will ImagePath accept a multiline
list?

-- 
Give me a Plumber's friend the size of the Pittsburgh dome, and a place
to stand, and I will drain the world.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:36:05 -0800

>   do print -n "$i:" ; done; print "+"'

The way it turned out was stupid.  In redoing the whole thing, they
ended up getting rid of a bunch of icons and making pretty much a mess
of the whole thing.  Even using the default .fvwm2rc provided by SuSE
came up with a bunch of not founds.  So what I ended up doing was to tar
the whole directory from a box with SuSE 7.0, transferring over, and
recreating it in the same place on the new box.  Now they all come up.

I don't think SuSE is spending as much time on non-KDE items as they did
before.  Bummer.

-- 
World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced
dress code!