Subject: FVWM: StickyPerDesk?

From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:21:56 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I need some kind of semi-sticky behaviour: I want a window to follow
me when I'm on Desk1, but when I switch to Desk0 I want it to stay on
Desk1, until I switch back to Desk1 -- then it should follow me again.

I'm running 2.2.4 on SunOS5.7, and I guess the above behaviour can be
achieved with FvwmEvent, I'm gonna work on this. But maybe this is an
enhancement request:

Why not ``blur'' the distinction between Sticky and Slippery, so you
could say, e.g.

Style Window10 Sticky(0 (0 0) (0 1) (0 3) 1 (2 2) (3 3))

(this is _very_ strange syntax, I know, but I can't figure out how to
make it better)

meaning that Window10 should be sticky on (Desk0, Pages 0 0, 0 1, and
0 3) and on (Desk1, Pages 2 2 and 3 3).

olleH,

Ulrich Fahrenberg

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:33:14 -0500

> achieved with FvwmEvent, I'm gonna work on this. But maybe this is an

I think you will admit that this is a very strange requirement.

I think its better to use FvwmEvent for this kind of thing
rather than building yet another feature into fvwm.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:56:58 +0100 (MET)

> I think you will admit that this is a very strange requirement.

Well, yes. But the desktop-dependency of stickyness is something that
makes sense to me: I use different desktops for different projects, so
what I want sticky on Desk0 is different from what I want sticky on
Desk1. So I thought a style

StickyOnDesk <num>

would make sense, and then why not extend this to pages, too -- after
all it is the _flexibility_ of Fvwm we enjoy...

So yes, I guess the StickyOnDesk/Page thingy is pretty strange, but
StickyOnDesk is something I like.

ulrich