Subject: FVWM: xterm and active icons

From: Martin Maciaszek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:39:09 +0200

While reading the xterm man-page I stumbled over a cool feature
of xterm called active icons. When minimized, the icon of xterm
schows a miniature view of the xterm. The man-page says further
that the minimized xterms can receive key strokes if the window
manager supports it. What settings are needed to let the
minimized xterms receive the key strokes? I couldn't find any
hint on that.

Cheers
Martin

-- 
The nice thing about Windows is, it doesn't just crash, it
displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first. (At least,
occasionally...)

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:00:14 +0100

Martin Maciaszek writes:
 > While reading the xterm man-page I stumbled over a cool feature of
 > xterm called active icons. When minimized, the icon of xterm schows
 > a miniature view of the xterm. The man-page says further that the
 > minimized xterms can receive key strokes if the window manager
 > supports it. What settings are needed to let the minimized xterms
 > receive the key strokes? I couldn't find any hint on that.

You can get the same effect by setting the font to a size of 1 pixel.
This may be available on cntrl-Button3 as "Unreadable".  If not, use
"Selection" to set the font to nil2.
-- 
Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                   -./\.-  by myself and does not represent
[email-masked]     -./\.-  opinion of Schlumberger, Baker
http://www.crosswinds.net/~petef  -./\.-  Hughes or their divisions.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Martin Maciaszek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:55:23 +0200

> "Selection" to set the font to nil2.

That's not quite what I wanted. There's a reason for the minimize
button :))

Cheers
Martin
-- 
LAUNCELOT: Isn't there a St. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh's in Cornwall?
ARTHUR:    No, that's Saint Ives.
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:55:30 +0200

> minimized xterms receive the key strokes? I couldn't find any

It's a bug in fvwm.  I will fix it with the next beta release and
tomorrow's snapshot.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].