Subject: FVWM: Alt tab not working . . .

From: "Louis LeBlanc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:47:07 -0500 (EST)

Hey, all.  I am running Mandrake 7.1, with Fvwm Version 2.2.4.

I have the following key mappings in .fvwm2rc:

# Alt-Tab simili-Windows behaviour
Key Tab         A       M       Next [CurrentPage !iconic] Focus
Key Tab         A       MS      Prev [CurrentPage !iconic] Focus
Key Tab         A       M3      Next [CurrentPage !iconic] Focus
Key Tab         A       MS3     Prev [CurrentPage !iconic] Focus

Key Tab         A       CM      Next [CurrentPage] Deiconify-and-Focus
Key Tab         A       CMS     Prev [CurrentPage] Deiconify-and-Focus
Key Tab         A       CM3     Next [CurrentPage] Deiconify-and-Focus
Key Tab         A       CMS3    Prev [CurrentPage] Deiconify-and-Focus

and Deiconify-and-Focus is defined as:
AddToFunc Deiconify-and-Focus   "I" Focus
+                               "I" Iconify -1

The alt-tab and ctrl-alt-tab stuff itself (with NumLock off) works fine. 
But if I put the NumLock on (which I always use) it stops working.  Is
there any way to find out what the modifier applied by NumLock is?

I don't know if it matters, but I am using a Micro$oft Natural, but
Mandrake does not seem to map the Window buttons (or do they?).

Thanks.

-- 
Louis LeBlanc
Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
[email-masked]
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Feb 2001 17:06:20 -0500

This issue is not restricted to Alt-TAB.

See question 5.5 of the FAQ.

HTH.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Louis LeBlanc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:25:51 -0500 (EST)

I see.  Somehow, I missed that my first time through the FAQ.  Thanks.

That does lead to another question, though.

When I used Fvwm2 on Solaris, I was able to use the following Key mapping
to provide a screensaver 'hotbutton':

Key Scroll_Lock A       A       Function Sleep

And Sleep is set to exec xscreensaver-command -lock

I don't remember having to do any modifications to this part of the
keyboard mapping there, how can I do this with Mandrake?

Thanks again

L

>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods
>  & Tools "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional."
>  --Mad Scientist
>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:42:10 -0500

> keyboard mapping there, how can I do this with Mandrake?

That odd, I have this in my .fvwm2rc:

#F23 is Scroll Lock key on Sun type 4 keyboard
Key F23         A N LockTerm
Key Scroll_Lock A N LockTerm # Linux definition

The Linux this refers to is Mandrake 7.0.

One way to tell what keysym or modifier is on a key is by using
"xev".

If you have a keyboard that JWZ knows about, xkeycaps is easier to
use.

Seems we agree on the correct usage of the "Lock" key.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:52:49 -0600

> there any way to find out what the modifier applied by NumLock is?

You may run xmodmap to find this out, it is usually modifier 2, i.e. use:

Key Tab A 2CM ...

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Louis LeBlanc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:09:46 -0500 (EST)

Yeah.  Turns out it is modifier 2.  I got it all cleaned up by just adding
2 to my modifiers rather than 3.

As for the Scroll_Lock issue, I now have this in my .fvwm2rc:

With Sleep defined as previously described.

In my /etc/X11/Xsession file, I had to add the following near the top:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver-command -exit
/usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver &
xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

The xmodmap command simply clears the modifier so that the lock is
inactive.  The key still triggers the Sleep function, and it appears to
work. 
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Now I have a console thing going on, but lets start a separate thread.

Lou

>> The alt-tab and ctrl-alt-tab stuff itself (with NumLock off) works
>> fine.  But if I put the NumLock on (which I always use) it stops
>> working.  Is there any way to find out what the modifier applied by
>> NumLock is?
> 
> You may run xmodmap to find this out, it is usually modifier 2, i.e.
> use: You may run xmodmap to find this out, it is usually modifier 2,
> i.e. use:
> Key Tab A 2CM ...
> 
> Regards,
> Mikhael.
> --