Subject: FVWM: perhaps OT: splitting background images

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 14:00:27 +0100

hi out there!

recently, i found an image on a nasa site which i really like much [1].
the problem is, that it's ~ 1800x3700 pixels. when i set it as
background (yes, i know, resources ... don't mind, it's still fast
enough ;) ), i can only see a small part of it.

i am using fvwm 2.3.28 with one desktop, with a 4x3 DeskTopSize. is it
possible to split the background image into pieces to kinda scroll
around in the image by switching desktops? 

was this a dumb question?

yours

andré

[1] http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/data/ev27/ev2729_S2000235113956.jpg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 08:30:48 -0500

> around in the image by switching desktops? 

If you want to use FvwmBacker, you'd want to cut the image into pieces
beforehand.  You might be able to crop the image during display but it
would just slow down the process.

You can  get xv to scale down  the image.  As I  remember xv does some
kind of autocrop  on large images,  but its possible to override  that
from the command line.

> was this a dumb question?

I don't think so.  Is this a dumb answer?

> [1] http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/data/ev27/ev2729_S2000235113956.jpg

Pretty neat image.

Its interesting that even at this magnification you can't see any sign
that the planet is inhabited.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:02:32 +0100

> would just slow down the process.

jep, i guess fvwmbacker would do the job. but when i open a fvwmconsole
and type in something like this:

*FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0, Page 0 0) /usr/X11R6/bin/Esetroot bla.jpg
*FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0, Page 1 0) /usr/X11R6/bin/Esetroot bla2.jpg

FvwmBacker

Nothing happens. Shall i not use Esetroot? so what else?

> I don't think so.  Is this a dumb answer?

nope ;) should it?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:14:15 -0500

> *FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0, Page 1 0) /usr/X11R6/bin/Esetroot bla2.jpg

 *FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0, Page 1 0) Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/Esetroot bla2.jpg
                                       ^^^^

---

From: Andre Bonhote <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:25:39 +0100

>  *FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0, Page 1 0) Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/Esetroot bla2.jpg

aaah! this may help. but: in the manpage of FvwmBacker, there is this:

*FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0, Page 0 0) xpmroot
/usr/pixmaps/background2.xpm

without exec! hmm?

ys

./a

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:39:04 -0500

> /usr/pixmaps/background2.xpm

Its a bug.  If it doesn't start with -solid, it has to
be a valid fvwm command.  I just fixed the man page.

Thanks,