Subject: Re: FVWM: cannot see icons

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 14:49:24 +0100

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 02:38:02PM -0700, Nancy Davis wrote:
> Hi FVWM folks,
> 
> I have recently installed fvwm2 on NetBSD.  I have something
> misconfigured, however.  I cannot see any icons within 
> programs, 

I tried your config file and it works fine for me.  As Dan
explained, the box with your pager, xbiff, the clock etc. is the
FvwmButtons module.

> For example, xbiff is installed and is supposed to show up
> on the window manager box, but I have a blank space.

Normally, before an application is started and swallowed by the
button bar, the place where the app. will show up looks flat.  As
soon as the application is swallowed, the button will be drawn
with a 3d relief. What of these two can you see? Is xbiff started
at all (look at the running processes with ps)?  Does any error
message show up on the console?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nancy Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:31:45 -0700 (MST)

> explained, the box with your pager, xbiff, the clock etc. is the

The problem appears to be in the color depth in my X configuration,
not anything to do with fvwm itself.
 
> message show up on the console?

The place where the app should be is flat.

Haven't had a chance yet to re-configure the display parameters
in X.  You don't happen to have a good reference on that, perchance?

Thanks much!

Nancy

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:08:09 -0500

> in X.  You don't happen to have a good reference on that, perchance?

You might try:

 startx -- -bpp 16

(Also try 24, and 32).

If that doesn't help,
since you are running NETBSD using XFree86 3.3.6,
you want to try to pick either 16,24, or 32 bit resolution using
XF86Setup or xf86config.

It might help to go to http://www.xfree86.org and read thru the FAQ.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Nancy Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:59:53 -0700 (MST)

> It might help to go to http://www.xfree86.org and read thru the FAQ.

Thanks much Dan.  Adding more color depth solved the problem.

Now I'll actually read the documentation ;-)

Nancy