Subject: FVWM: Re: kde2 support multihead? XFree86v4.? support multihead?

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 18:40:41 +0600

Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:

> There's a feature of X11R6 called "xinerama" which supports using multiple
> monitors as one virtual screen. I have not used this yet but I am looking
> forwards to it!
>
> Since this is an X11 feature it should be below the level of the window
> manager and
> transparent to it.
>
> We run fvwm on Solaris 2.6 and xinerama is supported with Solaris 2.8 (and
> some versions of 2.7)

    Sorry, what do you mean -- "FVWM works with Xinerama", or "FVWM supports
Xinerama"?  By the latter I mean -- FVWM knows that it e.g. shouldn't center
popups on the global screen, making them split between physical screens.
We are using 2x2 screens Xinerama setup under XFree 4.0.2, and FVWM's
Xinerama-ignorant behaviour is a bit irritating.

> For our dual-head systems on 2.6, we use "x-big-x" from x-software in
> germany (www.x-software.com ) This works quite well, windows dragging
> across monitors and all.

       ___________________________________________________________________
       Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov  |  Novosibirsk, RUSSIA
       phone (383-2)-39-49-56     |  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
                                  |  Lab. 5-13
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 07:55:38 -0500 (EST)

>Xinerama-ignorant behaviour is a bit irritating.

If it's that irritating you could always use ActivePlacement and put the
windows where you want...

Tom

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 15:00:49 +0100

> Xinerama-ignorant behaviour is a bit irritating.

fvwm knows nothing about Xinerama yet.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Lev Babiev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:43:35 -0500

> windows where you want...

Actually there is more to it than just placing windows. I run dualhead
G400 and 2 monitors running at different resolutions. one is running at
1600x1200, another at 1280x1024. With xinerama, fvwm treats it as a 
2880x1200 screen, not realizing that there is a 1280x176 blacked out space
in lower right corner. as a result it places gnome panel (or any other type
of taskbar) smack into that region (partially). Xinerama provides interface
to retrieve monitor configureation, it would be great if fvwm could read it
and avoid placing windows in "blacked-out" areas. (unfortualtely gnome
panel
isn't smart enough to allow setting geometry),

Lev
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:03:19 -0800

> isn't smart enough to allow setting geometry),

I raised this question a year or so ago, and the conclusion we reached
is that doing placement and other things on a non-rectangular display
was going to be *very* difficult.

You could try bottom-aligning your screens, rather than top-aligning
them, I suppose, though you'll still have problems with various
things.
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"And, just like it should in all stories about philosophers, it ended
up in complete chaos." - Richard P. Feynman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].