Subject: RE: FVWM: an application that doesn't like FVWM? Cadence Allegro not supported!

From: "Buchs, Kevin J." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:51:45 -0600

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dan Espen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 7:35 AM

> If any of these hangs or crashes are in fvwm, a stack trace 
> might help.

It have never affected fvwm, only the Allegro application.

> >  The following two options should be specified in the fvwm 
> configuration
> >  file to mimic some motif behavior:
> >  
> > 	"MWMDecorHints"
> > 	"MWMFunctionHints"
> 
> Did you try using these options?  Did it help?

I tried these and I experienced a crash, so I went to the next step.
 
> If you are using a current beta, it might help if you put this in
> your .fvwm2rc:
>     BugOpts ModalityIsEvil

I am on 2.2.4, which was what my System Administrator found prebuilt for
HPUX.  He doesn't really want me running fvwm.  I did try to build it myself
and got quite hung up on compiler errors with HPs compilers.  Does anyone
have a pointer to a site with more recent builds for HPUX?

> This product also runs under Windows.  It may be using the Mainsoft
> portability libraries.  Search the Fvwm FAQ for "mainsoft".  See if
> that advice helps.
> 
> Let us know what you find.

Yes, it is the case that Allegro uses Mainsoft.  What a shame for an
application originally developed on Unix!  Anyway, the suggestion in the
Fvwm FAQ was helpful.  I spent some time with the Mainsoft pages.  They
don't really want to support Unix it seems, which is rather strange.
Anyway, they suggest with reluctance defining the environment variable:

            setenv MWWM allwm

This I did and have not experienced crashing since.  I still do experience
the placement of the application window with the title bar off screen.  I
did try a variety of style options (DumbPlacement, ActivePlacement,
Random...) to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

-- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- + -- 
Kevin Buchs             http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg
Mayo Foundation         200 1st St. SW             507-538-5459
[email-masked]    Rochester, MN, 55905       507-284-9171 (fax)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].