Subject: FVWM: focus problem with Next/Prev

From: Paul Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:52:26 -0500

until recently i was running fvwm2 version 2.0.45.  a system upgrade
to redhat 7.0 brought me version 2.2.4, which seems (for my purposes)
to be a transparent upgrade, except for one thing.

i use the Circulate functionality a lot.  i include the following lines
in .fvwm2rc to give myself a ring of windows, accessible with function
keys:

    Key F1		A	N	Next [!iconic CurrentDesk] Focus
    Key F2		A	N	Prev [!iconic CurrentDesk] Focus

this worked fine in the older version, but after the upgrade, i
find that "circulating" to a window gives it focus, but no longer
raises it -- in fact, it will happily grant focus to a window that is
left completely obscured.

reading the man page, it sounds like the "Focus" argument _should_ be
raising the window for me ("Raises the window if needed to make it
visible."), so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.  since this all
worked in a previous version, i guess it must be due to some other,
conflicting, behavior that changed and which is also enabled in my
.fvwm2rc file.

any ideas on where or how to look?

paul
=---------------------
 paul fox, [email-masked] (arlington, ma, where it's 29.5 degrees)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:28:00 -0600

> conflicting, behavior that changed and which is also enabled in my

The man page in 2.2.4 is not up to date. Focus does not raises.

> any ideas on where or how to look?

I rememeber answering this question a lot of times.
Entering a query "Next;Focus;Raise;Mikhael" in the mail archives gives:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0012/msg00193.html
  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0101/msg00242.html

You may improvise on the query to give more results.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:20:03 -0500 (EST)

> left completely obscured.

Try this:

DestroyFunc	Raise-and-Focus
AddToFunc	Raise-and-Focus \
  "I"		Raise
+ "I"		Focus

Key F1	A	N	Next [!iconic CurrentDesk] Raise-and-Focus
Key F2	A	N	Prev [!iconic CurrentDesk] Raise-and-Focus

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

               Working for COMPAQ for a twentieth of a century

---

From: Paul Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:37:31 -0500

> I rememeber answering this question a lot of times.

small wonder, if the man page is incorrect.  :-)

 >   http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0101/msg00242.html

perhaps the man page should simply be replaced with a pointer
to the list archives?  ;-)

seriously -- the man page should at _least_ have a) a disclaimer that
it is out of date, and b) a link to any web-based resources for more
information, including the archives.

many thanks to larry for the solution -- works great!

and thanks to everyone for hard work on a great window manager.  my
usage of it only skims the surface of what's available, i know, but 
what i use, i like...

paul
=---------------------
 paul fox, [email-masked] (arlington, ma, where it's 34.9 degrees)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:29:13 +0100

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 08:37:31AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> it is out of date,

The man page is not out of date.  Some pieces of information are
simply incorrect and nobody noticed yet.

> and b) a link to any web-based resources for more

Currently the man page and the FAQ are the only sources of up to
date information.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].