Subject: RE: FVWM: kde2 support multihead? XFree86v4.? support multihead?

From: Peter Bismuti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:25:04 -0800

Interesting.  This sounds more like "xinema"(?) than multihead.  With
multihead the screens are divided meaning youn't share windows or drag them
across monitors but you can drag-n-click between them.  

I have multiple video cards with one monitor per card.  I wonder if this
works with XFree86V4.0.  

What window manager is he using? Is he running KDE?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kendrick Vargas
To: Peter Bismuti
Cc: [email-masked]'
Sent: 2/2/01 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: FVWM: kde2 support multihead?  XFree86v4.? support multihead?

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Peter Bismuti wrote:

> I just heard a rumor that kde2 supports multihead configurations.  Can
> anyone confirm or deny this?  If this is true it makes it even more
> desirable that fvwm become kde2 compliant since my understanding is
that
> gnome still cannot support multihead.
>
> I also heard that Xfree86V4.? will support multihead.  I use
AcceleratedX
> now, if this is true I may an interested to see the two will compare.

My boss is running RedHat 7, and he purchased himself the Matrox G450
(dual-head). He got it set up just fine, X shows it as one continuous
screen. Therefore whatever window manager you run doesn't know it's two
physically different screens. He's got gnome setup with some Fvwm2 cvs
snapshot as the window manager. Works quite well. This is with XFree
4.0.something (whatever RedHat 7 ships with).
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ----------+----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C++$ UL/S/I/B++++$ P+ | "In the ongoing battle between
objects
L++ E- W+(+++) N K-  w(---)  O-- M@ |  made of aluminum  going hundreds
of
V(--) PS+++  PE Y+ PGP@ t++ 5 X+ R- |  miles per hour and the ground
going
tv+ b- DI++++  D+(+++) G  e>++ h--- |  zero,  the  ground has yet  to
lose."
r++ z+>+++ - END GEEK CODE BLOCK ---+

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Elizabeth Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 22:59:06 -0500

There's a feature of X11R6 called "xinerama" which supports using multiple 
monitors as one virtual screen. I have not used this yet but I am looking 
forwards to it!

Since this is an X11 feature it should be below the level of the window 
manager and
transparent to it.

We run fvwm on Solaris 2.6 and xinerama is supported with Solaris 2.8 (and 
some versions of 2.7)
For our dual-head systems on 2.6, we use "x-big-x" from x-software in 
germany (www.x-software.com ) This works quite well, windows dragging 
across monitors and all.

--
Elizabeth Schwartz                          781-262-6565
Unix System Administrator                   [email-masked]
Genuity, Inc

---

From: Kendrick Vargas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:51:36 -0500 (EST)

> I have multiple video cards with one monitor per card.  I wonder if this

yes, xinerama makes both monitors look like one big one. And yes, it's
from XFree 4.

> What window manager is he using? Is he running KDE?

yes... in the message I mention GNOME with Fvwm2 CVS-snapshot.
			-peace

--- BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK ----------+----------
GAT d- s:+ !a C++$ UL/S/I/B++++$ P+ | "In the ongoing battle between objects
L++ E- W+(+++) N K-  w(---)  O-- M@ |  made of aluminum  going hundreds of
V(--) PS+++  PE Y+ PGP@ t++ 5 X+ R- |  miles per hour and the ground going
tv+ b- DI++++  D+(+++) G  e>++ h--- |  zero,  the  ground has yet  to lose."
r++ z+>+++ - END GEEK CODE BLOCK ---+