Subject: Re: FVWM: kde and gnome compliant?

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:50:22 -0600 (CST)

Peter,

How loyal you remain to FVWM is going to depend a lot on what you need in a
window manager. My wife prefers gnome because it's closer to Windows, meaning
someone else did all the thinking and configuring, so all she needs to do is
click a few buttons to do what she wants to do, which is mostly recreational
stuff.

I wear many hats; I do part time cgi perl scripting, have a server I host
domains on, am the webmaster for several domains, etc.  For me Gnome is a major
headache because it won't allow me to configure it the way I need to.

FVWM takes a lot more work to get set up because I have to do all the thinking,
but it's an absolute dream once it's put together the way I need it.  I have it
configured to fit the way I think and work.  FVWM is the programmer's/hacker's
window manager.  It will be around as long as there are computer geeks who want
to do it their way.

Will FVWM ever compete with KDE or Gnome?  That depends on the folks at FVWM.
Simply stated, Gnome and KDE are for people who aren't computer experts and who
need a window manager that does all the thinking for them, just like the way
Bill Gates designed Windows.  Linux when it first came out was much like FVWM in
that you basically had to do all the thinking.  Linux will do whatever you tell
it to, and much more than anything Windows can do, but you have to know what
you're doing to make it work.  As the Linux environment is maturing those who
are at the front lines are making it more and more Window-like in that it's
becoming more functional for the masses, but they're leaving it programmable so
those like us can still configure it the way we want.  If FVWM wants to compete
with Gnome and KDE they'll eventually need to come up with a system and default
configuration file that has all the features of the front runners and has it
working right out of the box. But they'll need to set it up within .fvwm2rc or
something similar so that it can still be customized as it can now.

Personally I don't feel that FVWM needs to compete with KDE or Gnome to remain
viable.  As long as there are programmers and hackers who like to think for
themselves FVWM will have a place in the Linux world.

Glen

Yesterday, at 10:18, Peter Bismuti sent through the Star Gate:

>
>I'm noticing that there are a lot of new clients that
>people are running on KDE and gnome, for example my
>coworkder is using a new mail client that seems to work
>quite nice.
>
>Is FVWM KDE and GNOME compliant? Meaning can I run these
>clients under FVWM?  If not, when will they be?
>
>With the big push towards linux (did you read CNN today?,
>IBM has promised 1 billion in developement in the Linux
>environment), it seems that these two WM are getting
>most of the attention.  Is it possible that there will
>come a day when it is no longer feasible to stay loyal
>to FVWM?
>
>I have not been reading the list lately so please forgive
>my blatent ignorance.
>
>Thanks
>--
>Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
>To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
>message to [email-masked].
>To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
>

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].