Subject: FVWM: Key command, Focus, synthetic key presses, etc...

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:55:00 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

Are the following possible with fvwm?

1) I would like to bind some actions to key presses but I would like these
   bindings to be activated only when a window with a particular
   resource name receives the focus.

2) I would like the window manager to generate a sequence of synthetic
   key presses so that for example pressing the H key would send the
   string "Hello, World!" to the underlying application. This is useful
   when you have an application that does not have advanced features
   such as command history but nevertheless you ofen type the same
   command in and would like to do it with one key stroke.

Thanks!!!

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:12:06 +0100

>    resource name receives the focus.

Yes, the "current" command is what you need.  Try this:

  AddToFunc MyAction
  + I current (resourcestring) whatever_command_you_need

>    command in and would like to do it with one key stroke.

The window manager is not the right place to do this and it can't
do this job properly anyway.  This would seriously mess up event
handling in fvwm.  I don't know if there are applications that
provide this functionality.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].