Subject: FVWM: multi-screen operation

From: Paul Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:16:13 -0500

i'm wondering how well fvwm can deal with multiple screens.

i recently scored a second head for my sun workstation at work, so
that when i log in, fvwm is now managing two screens on a single
display.

right now the only "connection" between the screens is that my mouse
will move seamlessly from one to the other -- but each screen appears
to have a separate window manager running it.  can i do better than
this?  

of course, i'd love to be able to drag things from one screen to the
other, but i'd be equally happy with a shared set of virtual desktops,
and i'd even be thrilled with simply having a means of shifting focus
from one screen to the other via a keystroke (rather than exclusively
with the mouse).  (since one of the reasons i chose fvwm in the first
place was the next/prev window ring capability.)

many thanks in advance (and in arrears, for all the hard work that's
gone into this thing!)

paul
=---------------------
  paul fox, [email-masked] (arlington, ma, where it's 31.8 degrees)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Elizabeth Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:51:35 -0500

Please CC replies to the list (or forward to me) I am very interested in 
the answers!!!

>i'm wondering how well fvwm can deal with multiple screens.

Right now, at work, we run Solaris 2.6 and fvwm on our multi-head desktops 
and use software called "x-big-x" which makes the two screens act as one 
large virtual screen. You can drag between windows, etc. Their URL is 
www.x-software.com . We use this in our NOC to control the BIG screens. 
This software is produced by (literally) two guys in a garage in Germany 
and while it works perfectly, there are some organizational reasons why 
we're moving away from it (past a certain size, a big company can't use 
software supported by one guy in a garage in Germany - and also we're 
running too much stuff that is unsupported by Sun, which gets to be an 
issue in a 24x7 operation - but the software works great)

Down the road, we're moving to Solaris 2.8 and I'm really hopeful about 
"xinerama" which comes with X11 R6. xinerama is supposed to make the two 
screens into one. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, hope to do so in a 
week or three. I'm looking forward to GNOME.

On the down side, some of our application vendors are speccing that 
they  **REQUIRE** CDE. We're going to have to do some work with that. 
Nobody wants to go back to CDE (except for the guys doing the application 
support.)

--
Elizabeth Schwartz                          781-262-6565
Unix System Administrator                   [email-masked]
Genuity, Inc