Subject: FVWM: Auto focus new window

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:51:16 +0000

Is there anyway to get fvwm to always give focus to a new window when 
one pops up due to a command line operation, eg when I run vim.

With my current setting's (focus follows mouse) the new window only 
gets focus if it happens to materialise under the cursor.

What I'm looking for is an orthogonal focus mode like 
'NewWindowAlwaysGetsFocus'.

JL

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:05:49 -0600

> 'NewWindowAlwaysGetsFocus'.

If you use 2.3 versions, this is done by:

  Style * GrabFocus, GrabFocusTransient

In fact, GrabFocusTransient and in some cases GrabFocus is default,
see the man page.

For a more general solution (not restricted to focus only) of the "I want
this and this when a new window pops up" see FVWM FAQ, question 3.18.
It also provides solutions for 2.2 versions, but 2.3 is more flexible.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:03:09 -0500

> 'NewWindowAlwaysGetsFocus'.

As far as I know, fvwm doesn't have a focus mode like that.
I think you'd have to use FvwmEvent to watch for the "add window"
event and then use WarpToWindow/Focus.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].