Subject: FVWM: NeverFocus and Netscape Transients

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:45:12 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

I am running FVWM version 2.3.27.
I have the following lines in my configuration file:

Style Netscape RaiseTransient, DontStackTransientParent, NoIconTitle
Style "Netscape: Find" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent
Style "Netscape: Question" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent
Style "Netscape: Error" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent
#Style "Netscape: New Netscape 6" GrabFocusOff
Style "Netscape: New Netscape 6" GrabFocusTransientOff

I think most of you have seen the New Netscape 6 Window that pops up
at <http://home.netscape.com/>. I do not want the window to take the
focus when it appears so I tried giving it the GrabFocusOff and the
GrabFocusTransientOff atributes but they did not work. Here are the
results of FvwmIdent on the New Netscape 6 Window.

Name:		Netscape: New Netscape 6
Icon Name:	Netscape: New Netscape 6
Class:		Netscape
Resource:	Navigator
Transient:	No
Focus Policy:	Passive
  - Input Field:	True
  - WM_TAKE_FOCUS:	Absent

Does anyone know how I can cause the window not to take the focus?

Thanks,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:21:25 -0600

> Does anyone know how I can cause the window not to take the focus?

This window is not transient (5-th line), so the command would be:

  Style "Netscape: New Netscape 6" GrabFocusOff

Just a note, if you use SloppyFocus or MouseFocus focus policies and the
window happens to be under the pointer, it will get a focus regardless of
GrabFocusOff.

Anyway, this line will not work, because the name is changed to "Netscape:
New Netscape 6" later, when the window already was mapped.
The initial name of this window is the same as for other Netscape window.
Something like "Netscape version...". I don't have Netscape 6.

There are also some pearls in http://home.netscape.com/popup.js, which is
called from http://home.netscape.com/, like:

  var ad_percent  = 20;   // Possibility to get the popup (%)

  if (win.focus) win.focus();
  // Netscape 6.0 complains when focusing on newly opend window, saying
  // "uncaught exception". This exception cannot be caught even if
  // it's in try block.
  // This is a known N6 bug, and no workaround is made here.

I don't know what to suggest. If disabling javascript or proxying out ad
links is not an option, can you simply configure other than
http://home.netscape.com/ page as your start page?

Regards,
Mikhael.