Subject: FVWM: An elementary question??

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:56:31 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

I am sure that this problem has been documented many
times before, so I apologise now....

My question is, sometimes after I have logged in (via
XDM) and the AnotherLevel (Lestiff) has loaded, the
buttons on any window (like xterm, rxvt, gxedit, etc)
stop working, that is to say, when you click on them,
no menu appears. The only way around this, I have
found is to log out and log in again.

1. What causes this???
2. How do I fix this??

Thanks in Anticipation,
Regards,

Thomas Adam
re: [email-masked]

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): [email-masked]
e-mail (yahoo) : [email-masked]

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. 
http://auctions.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:58:01 +0100

> times before, so I apologise now....

Yes! :-)

>From our FAQ:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
0.1  A few minutes after fvwm is started my keyboard and mouse
     bindings stop working. What can I do?

A: Probably your NumLock, CapsLock or ScrollLock key is pressed. See
   Q 5.5 for more details.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers. You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings. With XFree86 the right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key Mouse commands
   in your configuration file and the number of modifiers you want to
   ignore. If you do not have a lightning fast machine or very few
   bindings you should not ignore more than two modifiers. So do
   not ignore scroll-lock if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server. The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard map.
   Pressing these keys has no effect then. To re-add them try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod2 = Num_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod5 = Scroll_Lock"

   Fvwm has to be restarted to use the changes made by xmodmap.
   Please refer to the man page of the xmodmap command for further
   details.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

(You need a 2.3.x beta for the IgnoreModifiers command).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].