Subject: FVWM: IconBox and preventing an icon

From: Dan Roscigno <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:40:46 +0000 (UTC)

I would like to prevent some apps (oclock specifically) from having
an Icon in IconBox.  Can someone help me with this please?  I am
using fvwm2

Thanks,
Dan

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 13:45:06 -0500

%% Dan Roscigno <[email-masked]> writes:

  dr> I would like to prevent some apps (oclock specifically) from having
  dr> an Icon in IconBox.  Can someone help me with this please?  I am
  dr> using fvwm2

Something like:

  Style "oclock" NoIcon

should do it.  Check the man page.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Roscigno <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:01:14 +0000 (UTC)

I tried that.  Setting NoIcon does not change things.  I suspect
that it might be because there is an Icon "included" in the
application.  Maybe if I do an IconOverride with a non-existant xpm
file that might work.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:02:41 -0600

On 18 Jan 2001 17:40:46 +0000, Dan Roscigno wrote:
> an Icon in IconBox.  Can someone help me with this please?

I suppose you have Style * NoIcon if you use FvwmIconBox module.
It is not clear where you would like oclock to go when iconifying.
If you want oclock to be iconified into the root window, you may do:

  Style oclock Icon         # program supplied icon will be used
  Style oclock Icon my.xpm  # your icon will be used

In case you want oclock to go neither to FvwmIconBox, nor to the root,
i.e. you want it to disapear on iconifying (is this what you want?),
I don't know about a good way to do this, but you may try:

  Style oclock NoIconTitle, Icon totally-transparent.xpm

> I am using fvwm2

You may run "fvwm2 -version" to determine a version.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Roscigno <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:36:06 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks everyone for your help.  Here is what I have figured out:

Style suggestions later in the file are the ones used.  If you use
IconBox then you have an entry:

############################################################
# Note that icons are shown in the module
#    only if NoIcon command is applied.
Style     "*"  NoIcon

in your .fvwm2rc file.  This comes relatively late in the default
system.fvwm2rc .  Earlier in the file you specify what xpm file you
want used for icons, then this NoIcon does not exactly delete the
earlier icon entries from the environment, it simply tells fvwm2 to
use the IconBox rather than the desktop to hold the icons.  So now I
override this setting for specific apps (namely oclock) by adding a
Style line for oclock AFTER the NoIcon:

############################################################
# Note that icons are shown in the module
#    only if NoIcon command is applied.
Style     "*"  NoIcon

# Put any apps that you do not want to have icons in the IconBox
here 
# with a specific Icon.  They will get an icon on the desktop if you 
# minimize the app.
Style "oclock"      Icon jclock.xpm

I will continue to do this for any apps that I want to run but do
not want in the IconBox.

Thanks again,
Dan