Subject: FVWM: Window placement for multiple monitors (not multiple screens)

From: Jordan Samuels <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 04:02:09 +0000

First off, let me say fvwm2 is great -- I've been using it pretty much
since the day it came out, and it's just SOO much better than anything
else imaginable.  A big thanks to everyone who's contributed to fvwm2!!

I'm a developer fortunate enough to have three (!) monitors hooked up
to my machine at work.  I run Exceed and fvwm2 with single screen mode,
so my desktop (not even virtual) is really 3 screens wide.  Smart
placement is generally pretty good, but I'm wondering about two
features:

1. Being able to specify number of monitors and have placement avoid 
putting windows across monitor boundaries.

2. Being able to get SmartPlacement to go down first, then across
instead
of vice versa.

I have looked in FAQ, man, and newsgroups but haven't found anything on
this.  I am a seasoned developer and MORE than willing to do the coding
for this, but I thought I'd check with the fvwm2 community first.

Thanks very much.

	Jordan Samuels
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:47:54 +0100

> 2. Being able to get SmartPlacement to go down first, then across

I don't think you can do any of this right now.  Of course you
could write a completely new placement algorithm using FvwmEvent
and PipeRead, but that's not worth the effort.

> for this, but I thought I'd check with the fvwm2 community first.

Actually, we currently have a discussion about future placement
algorithms and agree that there will be a lot more flexibility
some day.  Any ideas are very welcome.  On the other hand we are
close to the first anniversary of our feature freeze for the
upcoming 2.4 release :-P and will not make any big changes before.

I recommend you wait for 2.4 first, then report back so we can
discuss all this in detail.  If you really need this before you
can of course hack something into your sources, but you should be
prepared to throw it away because it will probably not match our
(very vague) future plans.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:47:54 +0100

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:47:54 +0100

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:47:54 +0100

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:47:54 +0100

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Pete Forman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:47:45 +0000

Dominik Vogt writes:
 > algorithms and agree that there will be a lot more flexibility some
 > day.  Any ideas are very welcome.

I would like the placement algorithms to be made available when moving
existing windows.  New windows can be made to line up nicely but it
can be a fiddle to exactly move an existing window to a desired
location.  It would be useful to have not only a snap-to on move but
also to be able to click on a window to relocate it to where it would
go if it was destroyed and recreated.
-- 
Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                   -./\.-  by myself and does not represent
[email-masked]     -./\.-  opinion of Schlumberger, Baker
http://www.crosswinds.net/~petef  -./\.-  Hughes or their divisions.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:13:56 +0100

> go if it was destroyed and recreated.

The command is already there:

  PlaceAgain

(2.3.x only)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^