Subject: RE: FVWM: What an improvement!

From: pzhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:44:16 -0700

Hi,
It seems that the built-in Alt+Tab function doesn't 
work for me. Should I add statements  such as
"Key Tab A M WindowList Root c c NoDeskSort" in my
.fvwm2rc file? After I install the fvwm2.3.27, I delete
the statesments related with the binding of alt+tab functions.

Thanks

>===== Original Message From Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]> =====
>Just started using 2.3.27 today, and admittedly am fairly new to FVWM, but 
this
>new setup with these new features are an absolute dream!  I was able to get
>multiple panels to work without a hitch, customized to programs and commands 
I
>frequently use, one of which is set up for different root window backgrounds 
I
>like to use, so I can quickly change them with a click of the mouse.
>
>I love the Alt-Tab feature that allows me to tab through the Window List.
>
>The Restart feature seems to be working much better also.  I had trouble with 
it
>under 2.2.4, but in 2.3.27 it restarts FVWM with any new modifications I've 
made
>to ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc included, plus it remembers all the apps I had running 
and
>keeps them alive.  I was surprised and very pleased when the kill ring in 
Xemacs
>still had the data after doing a Restart fvwm2, so I could paste the copied 
text
>into Panel modifications I was making after trying out a new configuration.
>
>One thing's for certain: FVWM is definitely a programmers/working man's 
window
>manager.  I can make it fit into what I need it to do, instead of having to
>force myself to fit into what other window manager's allow me to do.
>
>Thanks!  And keep up the good work!
>
>Glen
>
>--
>Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
>To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
>message to [email-masked].
>To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:30:10 -0600 (CST)

I added the following to ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc:

Key Tab   A     M       WindowList

This will bring up the window list when you hit Alt-Tab.  The folks at FVWM
added in an extra feature so that when you keep the Alt key held down you can
then tab to other windows on the list, and upon releasing the Alt key, that
window is raised to the top and focused.

On 2.2.4 the above would bring up the WindowList, but when you released the Alt
key the WindowList remained in view, and you had to use the up or down arrow to
move to and raise-focus a different program.  This was certainly workable, but I
prefer the new way.

Glen

---

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:45:36 -0600 (CST)

Is there a HOW-TO somewhere that explains the basics of writing your own module
for FVWM?

For example, I have a directory of backgrounds that I like to add in new
graphics for the root window (and eventually do the same for icons).  I
currently have a subpanel that lists most of these graphics, but I have to hand
enter them into .fvwm2rc.  I'm looking for a tutorial that would explain the
basics of what information I would have to pipe into fvwm when the module loads
that would allow a perl program I'd write to read all the files in the
backgrounds directory, format the information, and then send it to fvwm.

Thanks,

Glen

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 01:16:12 -0700

> backgrounds directory, format the information, and then send it to fvwm.

Hello,
    The man page tells how make a function to read a directory of jpg's 
and place them in a menu (search for JpgMenu), I modified it a bit so 
that when I start fvwm2 i get the same picture i last set, hopefully 
this helps you...

# Build a menu of pictures.
AddToMenu PixMenu
+ DynamicPopupAction Function MakePixMenu

AddToFunc MakePixMenu
+ I DestroyMenu recreate PixMenu
+ I AddToMenu PixMenu Pictures Title
+ I PipeRead 'for i in ~/pix/*.*;do echo AddToMenu PixMenu "`basename $i`" \
        Exec "Esetroot -s $i && echo $i > $HOME/.fvwm/desktop_picture"; done'

AddToFunc   InitFunction
+ I Exec    Esetroot -s `cat $HOME/.fvwm/desktop_picture`

sa

PS there is information about modules here: http://www.fvwm.org/modules.html

---

From: Glen Lee Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:02:44 -0600 (CST)

I found that a few minutes after I posted the letter, but your method is better
because it allows you to pull up the last loaded image on [re]start.

Thanks,

Glen