Subject: FVWM: Numlock causes problems

From: Paul Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:50:25 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I have created a bootable linux cd which uses FVWM2 as
the window manager.  When I enable the numlock key
strange behaviors begin to occur.

For instance, if the numlock is turned off, then I can
use the keypad.  If numlock is on, then the keypad
doesn't work.

Also, after numlock is turned on, both mouse buttons
perform the same actions.  When numlock is turned off,
the mouse buttons act normally.

I don't have this problem under RedHat which uses a
different window manager.  Does anyone know how to
make the numlock problem go away?

Thanks,
Paul

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. 
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:59:12 -0500 (EST)

>From the FAQ:

5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers. You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings. With XFree86 the right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key Mouse commands
   in your configuration file and the number of modifiers you want to
   ignore. If you do not have a lightning fast machine or very few
   bindings you should not ignore more than two modifiers. So do
   not ignore scroll-lock if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server. The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard map.
   Pressing these keys has no effect then. To re-add them try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod2 = Num_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod5 = Scroll_Lock"

   Fvwm has to be restarted to use the changes made by xmodmap.
   Please refer to the man page of the xmodmap command for further
   details.

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

              Working for COMPAQ since the turn of the century