Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.3.24: iconifying crashes X Window System

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 04:34:58 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

I am running Fvwm 2.3.24 and iconifying crashes the X Window System. To
reproduce this bug:

Step 1: Grab http://www.cs.mun.ca/~nzanella/computing/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc
Step 2: Run fvwm2 with this file
Step 3: type "xterm -n abc" in an xterm
Step 4: from the left hand side of the titlebar select the menu by
        clicking on the leftmost button and select iconify...
        the X Window System will crash.

Another thing I have noticed is if I iconify the window named abc
by clicking on the rightmost button no icon appears but I don't
have many "Style xyz NoIcon" in my config file.

Thanks,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:55:44 +0200

> have many "Style xyz NoIcon" in my config file.

Versions 2.3.23 and 2.3.24 have some serious problems. Either stick to
2.3.22 or try 2.3.25 or cvs, where I believe, these icon problems are fixed.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 08:14:24 -0500

> have many "Style xyz NoIcon" in my config file.

Good   morning Neil  (my time).   First   let me  say,    we really do
appreciate bug reports.

If this file crashes your X Server, you should send a bug report and
stack trace to the X Server folks.

I'm not running Linux right now, so I was unable to test with your file.
I don't think you should expect others to run a file that does "xhost +"
and executes a bunch of shell commands in its InitFunction.  If you meant
to say "crashes fvwm" you should trim down this file a bit but start with
sending us a stack trace.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:43:55 -0330 (NST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Dan Espen wrote:

> If you meant

Out of curiosity how can I tell the difference between a window manager
crash and an X Server crash? I am running in runlevel 3 and start X and
fvwm2 simultaneously with startx. What I meant is that what I described
returned me the the Linux console so I think that's an X Server crash
since it's not just like fvwm is freezing... please let me know. Either
way I will try out 2.3.25 and see if that still happens.

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:49:16 -0500

> way I will try out 2.3.25 and see if that still happens.

I think trying 2.3.25 is good advice.

Either program crashing should leave a core file, but
if XFree8.6 is like the Solaris X server, it won't produce a
core file by default.

If you see no core file, I'd guess its the X Server that crashed.
If you do see a core file, run:

file core

Some of the output on the console may supply a hint.

You are not really running both programs simultaneously,
the details vary from system to system, but heres an outline:

startx launches X which reads $HOME/.xinitrc.  $HOME/.xinitrc
launches any number of X clients, usually including your window manager.
One of the X clients in your .xinitrc has to be run in the foreground,
the rest are put into the background.  The one run in the foreground
is the one that holds the X session.  For most users, the window manager
holds the session.  When this is the case, it reinforces the illusion
that the window manager and the X Server are one and the same.

Try this,
instead of ending your .xinitrc with fvwm, end it like this:

fvwm2 || xterm