Subject: FVWM: Focus on MouseEnter but Raise on MouseClick

From: John Lonergan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 18:13:13 +0000

Enlightenment allows for the following setting...

    input focus follows the mouse pointer
    moving the mouse pointer does not raise the window
    a click on either the frame or in the client area of the window
raises the window

I cannot figure out how to do this with Fvwm - can anyone help ?

As far as I can tell - focus and raising the window seem to be tied
together.

Thaks JL

PLEASE IGNORE THE FOLLOWING
============================

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:33:06 -0500

> As far as I can tell - focus and raising the window seem to be tied

I think we  might need some information about  your setup and release,
fvwm does not tie raise and focus together.

For focus follows mouse:

Style "*" MouseFocus

To not have autoraise, remove FvwmAuto from your InitFunction.

I would guess you already have clicks on the frame doing raise, its
normally done with:

AddToFunc "Resize-or-Raise" "M" Resize
+              "M" Raise
+              "C" Raise
+              "D" RaiseLower
Mouse 1		F	A	Function "Resize-or-Raise"

For initial clicks in  a window doing  raise, this varies depending on
the release you use, for 2.2.x it was:

globalopts MouseFocusClickRaises

If you are using a recent beta, search the man page for "clickraise".

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:03:21 +0100

> fvwm does not tie raise and focus together.

Perhaps you prefer sloppy focus:

  Style * SloppyFocus

> AddToFunc "Resize-or-Raise" "M" Resize
                     ^^^^^

Resize?

> If you are using a recent beta, search the man page for "clickraise".

It's "Style * MouseFocusClickRaises". Fvwm will tell you the new
syntax in a warning but it will still work for now.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:40:46 -0500

> > AddToFunc "Resize-or-Raise" "M" Resize

No, there's already a resize on the line above.
This must have come from a very old system.fvwm2rc, the newer
one just resizes, unless you use Resize-or-Raise2 which Raises and
then Resizes.

Raising before Resizing is definitely preferable, thanks for pointing
that out.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:55:52 +0100

> No, there's already a resize on the line above.

Ups.  I never put anything on the "AddToFunc" line, so I tend to
overlook any commands there.  BTW, did you realise that it's no
longer necessary to quote function names or the condition?

> Raising before Resizing is definitely preferable, thanks for pointing

Me?  I did what?  :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^