Subject: FVWM: modifer locks patch not in current stable release?

From: Ray Fung <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:37:00 +0000 (GMT)

hi folks

i have been using fvwm-2.x.x for a while now on both
linux and solaris and have noticed that if any
modifiers are on (caps, num-lock etc) then clicking in
a window will not give it focus.  so, i searched the
fvwm bugs archive and found that a patch to 2.1.10
contributed by Benoit Triquet (id 189 which is marked
as 'fixed') to resolve the issue.

however, browsing the src code for 2.2.4 for Benoit's
patch, i cant actually see any of his changes
incorporated in the main src distribution.

can someone please confirm/deny whether this code has
been/will be integrated into the main stream dist. 
thanks in advance

ray

____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:46:08 -0500

> as 'fixed') to resolve the issue.

First check question 5.5 in the FAQ.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:48:06 +0100

> incorporated in the main src distribution.

No, it isn't.  It was applied in 2.3.1.  It's better to disable
these keys globally anyway.  From the FAQ:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers. You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings. With XFree86 the right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key Mouse commands
   in your configuration file and the number of modifiers you want to
   ignore. If you do not have a lightning fast machine or very few
   bindings you should not ignore more than two modifiers. So do
   not ignore scroll-lock if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server. The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard map.
   Pressing these keys has no effect then. To re-add them try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod2 = Num_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod5 = Scroll_Lock"

   Fvwm has to be restarted to use the changes made by xmodmap.
   Please refer to the man page of the xmodmap command for further
   details.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].