Subject: FVWM: WindowList

From: Richard Gordon Bolz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 00:57:22 -0700 (MST)

Is there any way to get rid of the geometry column in the popup window
list?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:53:53 -0500

> Is there any way to get rid of the geometry column in the popup window

You can add the "NoGeometry" argument to the windowlist command.

If you  are  having trouble finding  the   WindowList command  in your
.fvwm2rc, tell use  which release you are using  and the keybinding or
mouse button you are using to invoke the windowlist.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Elizabeth Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:53:28 -0500

Background: We've got a bunch of desktops running Solaris 2.6 and fvwm 
2.0.45. Our users login with  openwindows, and fvwm is started from user's 
.xinitrc files. These desktops frequently hang, with dtlogin dying and 
leaving an XSun process in bad shape. Restarting dtlogin without 
killing  the XSun will freeze the desktop to require a cold reboot.

I'm preparing to upgrade to fvwm 2.2.4 to see if this helps.
I'm puzzling over the section 2.2 of the dtwm FAQ that says:

  Finally you have to quit with
  /usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession (or whatever your path is for dtaction)

I'm wondering:
a) does this even *apply* if I'm starting with openwindows instead of dtwm?
b) if it applies, what's the exact syntax to make it work? I'm trying 
variations
    of this in my .fvwm2rc without success:

        AddToMenu FvwmCommands  "Fvwm Commands" Title
        +                       "Exit Fvwm"     /usr/dt/bin/dtaction 
ExitSession

c) is there anything else we should be doing?
d) Is there any advantage to starting from dtwm instead of openwindows?

Has anyone had this problem and did you find a fix?
Also, is there a good "howto" or intro out there? I'm a bit of an X/desktop 
newbie - I've been a unix sysadmin for quite a while but most of my Solaris 
admin experience is on headless servers.

Thanks for any clues!
--
Elizabeth Schwartz                          781-262-6565
Unix System Administrator                   [email-masked]
Genuity, Inc

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:22:59 -0800

> killing  the XSun will freeze the desktop to require a cold reboot.

That's bad. I wonder what's causing your sessions to hang like that.

> a) does this even *apply* if I'm starting with openwindows instead of dtwm?

Yes, I believe it does on 2.6. You're still using the dtlogin session
management stuff. You're not running dtwm *or* OpenWindows if you're
running fvwm. OpenWindows and CDE are desktop environments. olwm and
dtwm are the respective window managers for those environments.

>         +                       "Exit Fvwm"     /usr/dt/bin/dtaction 

You left out the "Exec". You're probably seeing error messages to the
effect of "<<FVWM>>: Cannot locate module /usr/dt/bin/dtaction" or
something in the error messages from fvwm. It should be "Exec
/usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession" or perhaps "Exec exec
/usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession".
 
> c) is there anything else we should be doing?

Probably, but nothing I can think of is relevant on this list ;>

> d) Is there any advantage to starting from dtwm instead of openwindows?

? I'm not sure I understand. You mean choosing the OpenWindows login
v. the CDE login? If you login to CDE you might have to customize FVWM
as the session's window manager differently. See FAQ entry 2.2.
 
> admin experience is on headless servers.

Um, O'Reilly's got some decent stuff, like Vol 3 of their X Windows
series, though a large percentage of the pages are just reproductions
of X11R5 man pages. Kenton Lee's got probably the best collection of
X-related info anywhere:

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].