Subject: FVWM: FvwmPager

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:13:15 +1100

Hi,

Is it possible to make the FvwmPager transparent with the background? Or
use an xpm for the BackColor instead...

Thanks.

Shao.

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________
Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____
Department of Communications    / __| |_  __ _ ___  |_  / |_  __ _ _ _  __ _ 
University of New South Wales   \__ \ ' \/ _` / _ \  / /| ' \/ _` | ' \/ _` |
Sydney, Australia               |___/_||_\__,_\___/ /___|_||_\__,_|_||_\__, |
Email: [email-masked]                                                  |___/ 
_____________________________________________________________________________
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:45:51 +0200

> use an xpm for the BackColor instead...

Yes, it is possible using both these methods, but only in the 2.3 series.

The first method uses colorsets. This is a tricky method, you should learn
FvwmTheme man page (including "Transparent" option) to do this.

For the second method, 'man FvwmPager', search for *Pixmap options.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:13:18 +1100

Hi,

Thanks. This is really great news. I will just wait for a 2.4 release...
Could you also let me whether 2.4 will include the FvwmTheme module?

Thanks in advance.

Shao.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:35:36 -0500

> Could you also let me whether 2.4 will include the FvwmTheme module?

Yes it will.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 09:03:13 -0500

%% Shao Zhang <[email-masked]> writes:

  sz> Thanks. This is really great news. I will just wait for a 2.4
  sz> release...

You don't _have_ to wait; the 2.3.x betas are pretty stable right now.

  sz> Could you also let me whether 2.4 will include the FvwmTheme
  sz> module?

Certainly.  It was developed for 2.4.

Note that the FvwmTheme module is not the same as the fvwm-themes
project on SourceForge, which had a new release recently announced.  The
fvwm-themes package is not included in the FVWM distribution.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 03:10:06 +1100

Hi,

> fvwm-themes package is not included in the FVWM distribution.

Thanks for lettting me know. I originally thought they were the same
thing. So what is really fvwm-themes? How is it different from the
FvwmTheme module?

Shao.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 10:38:48 -0500

%% Shao Zhang <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> fvwm-themes package is not included in the FVWM distribution.

  sz> Thanks for lettting me know. I originally thought they were the same
  sz> thing. So what is really fvwm-themes? How is it different from the
  sz> FvwmTheme module?

The FvwmTheme module is a module that provides functionality that theme
engines want to use, like creating and controlling colorsets, etc.

fvwm-themes is a framework for writing themes, that tries to make it
easy to integrate new themes, provides a way to choose between them,
etc.  It helps manage the various restart/destroy/create operations
needed to invoke a new theme.  It also contains a number of actual
themes you can use or start with to write your own.  It uses the
FvwmTheme module quite a bit during its operation, but it's not a part
of FVWM proper.

---

From: Shao Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:08:30 +1100

Hi,

> FvwmTheme module quite a bit during its operation, but it's not a part

Thanks for the in depth explanation. May I think that fvwm-themes are a
collection of exampes/framework using FvwmTheme and other FvwmModules to
make themes for FVWM?

Also, how come there is no FVWM section on themes.org? Any political
issues involved?

Shao.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 13:26:20 -0500

sz> Thanks for the in depth explanation. May I think that fvwm-themes
  sz> are a collection of exampes/framework using FvwmTheme and other
  sz> FvwmModules to make themes for FVWM?

Yes.

  sz> Also, how come there is no FVWM section on themes.org? Any political
  sz> issues involved?

No idea, sorry.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:22:34 +0100

> For the second method, 'man FvwmPager', search for *Pixmap options.

Making the pager transparent using colour sets really does not
work well since X does not update the transparent part after
something was drawn there and erased. I recommend using a pixmap
background.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:24:52 +0100

> Also, how come there is no FVWM section on themes.org? Any political

A while ago someone from themes.org contacted us and announced
that he would revive the fvwm themes section, but I cannot
remember anything else.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:22:34 +0100

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:24:52 +0100

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^