Subject: FVWM: disabling all key bindings

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:31:15 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

Is there a way to temporarily disable/reenable all key bindings in this
new release of Fvwm. This would be desirable for testing appliccations
or when working with new applications which may for some reason or another
need to intercept some seldomly used key binding.

Thanks,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:50:26 -0500

> need to intercept some seldomly used key binding.

No, but you could write functions that bind and unbind the keys
you are concerned about.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:48:19 -0330 (NST)

> No, but you could write functions that bind and unbind the keys

Perhaps I can use PipeRead to generate all possibille keystrokes which
fvwm knows about and unbind each single one of them. Where can I find
such a list and how can I unbind a key?

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:22:45 -0500

> such a list and how can I unbind a key?

xmodmap -pk will show all the keys X knows about.
Fvwm doesn't have a command to show you all of its current key bindings.
Modifying Fvwm to do so probably wouldn't be too hard.

You can unbind a key with a dash:

Key F1 A A -

I think you would be much better off just unbinding the one or 2 keys
that are causing you a problem.  Fvwm 2.2.x doesn't bind any keys on
its own, all the key bindings are in your .fvwm2rc.  Since you want to
reenable the keys you are going to have to find all the bindings
anyway.

Since you are worried about keys used by applications, you
want to bind/unbind keys that are active in a window (or all) context.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:31:15 +0200

> such a list and how can I unbind a key?

Here are 2 functions doing what you want; call them when needed from menu:

AddToFunc UnbindAllBoundKeys
+ I PipeRead `grep '^Key ' .fvwm2rc | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3, $4, "-" }'`

AddToFunc RebindAllBoundKeys
+ I PipeRead `grep '^Key ' .fvwm2rc`

Regards,
Mikhael.