Subject: FVWM: problems binding keys during fvwm session

From: Cyprian Adam Laskowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:16:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm having problems doing something which I think should be very
simple: dynamically loading new fvwm keybindings with FvwmCommand
during an fvwm session.  This only seems to work if the key was
already explicitly bound to something at startup with the .fvwm2rc
init file.  

For example, say I have the command "Key BackSpace A C
Nop" but NO command of the form "Key Insert A C SOMECOMMAND".  Then if
I do:

  % FvwmCommand 'Key BackSpace A C Exec exec xterm' 
  % FvwmCommand 'Key Insert A C Exec exec xterm'  

Then pressing C-backspace starts up an xterm, while C-insert does not.

Of course I could get around this by firing up a whole slew of Nop
bindings in the .fvwm2rc file and reserving any dynamic overriding
to those keystrokes.  But the mere inelegance of this solution makes me
a rather displeased man.

(I'm running Red Hat 6.2 with Fvwm 2.2.4.) 

Help?

cyp
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:51:28 +0200

> to those keystrokes.  But the mere inelegance of this solution makes me

FVWM does not distinguishes between commands on startup (in your .fvwm2rc)
or commands coming after that. So it should work regardless whether you
want to bind a new key or rebind an old one.

Just to be sure, do you run FvwmCommandS? FvwmCommand does not work
without FvwmCommandS.

Or maybe your Insert key is not mapped to Insert keysym. Does it work
if you execute this 'Key Insert ..' command in FvwmConsole or FvwmTalk?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:54:00 +0100

> to those keystrokes.  But the mere inelegance of this solution makes me

And it's slow too.

> (I'm running Red Hat 6.2 with Fvwm 2.2.4.) 

Yes.  Any version before the 2.3.x betas requires that you 'recapture'
the windows before new key bindings will start to work.  Simply issue

  $ FvwmCommand Recature

after executing your commands and everything will work fine.  With
the next release, the Recapture command will become obsolete.
Virtually all changes in the configuration take effect immediately
then.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:54:00 +0100

And it's slow too.

  $ FvwmCommand Recature

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^