Subject: FVWM: Resizing windows stops everything else.

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 11:40:55 -0500

I'm currently using FVWM2[.2.4] and have been recently working on
creating my own .fvwm2rc (prior to now, I was just using the defaults).
One thing that's rather annoying is that when I go to resize a window
(say, a rxvt), it goes to the "rubber bands" and allows me to resize it.
However, any other process that's working at that time gets stopped. My
'top' windows stop, 'cmatrix' halts, and even xmms will stop playing
after it's used up its buffer. Can I keep FVWM2 from doing this or is
this a feature-bug?

[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 12:00:56 -0500

> after it's used up its buffer. Can I keep FVWM2 from doing this or is

The rubber bands are "XOR"'d onto the background.  The XOR operation is
reversible, that is, if you do it twice, the background comes back to
its original color.  Fvwm has to grab the XServer during this operation
because anyone else drawing where the XORs have been done will mess up
the second XOR.

There might be other ways of putting the rubber bands on the screen,
but they would be a lot slower, so I think its a feature.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 12:08:12 -0500

> but they would be a lot slower, so I think its a feature.
Why can't I get it to show the window as it's resized rather than the
rubber bands? I'd actually prefer that behavior over taking over the
machine for such a simple operation (or so it seems).

[email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 12:30:20 -0500

> machine for such a simple operation (or so it seems).

I should have mentioned that:

Style "*" ResizeOpaque

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:40:10 +0100

> machine for such a simple operation (or so it seems).

You can with the ResizeOpaque style as Dan already mentioned.
You will need a current beta version, though.  But you may not
like the result for your applications.  Many programs are unable
to handle opaque resizing properly and flicker a lot or keep
redrawing for many sencond after you finished the operation.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].