Subject: FVWM: Turkish Fonts

From: "Can BAYTAN M.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 05:53:27 +0200 (EET)

Howdy!,

I am a very newbie of fvwm (less than an hour) after being tired of noises
of swapping HD with KDE and last version of WindowMaker, even though I
have 128MB of RAM. 

My  question:
I am running Mandrake 7.01 at home and trying to figure out how to get
Turkish fonts on kvt and wordperfect with fvwm (iso-8859-9) as I do in
KDE. 

Details:
I am able to use turkish fonts with KDE, now in fvwm
I can see kvt menus in Turkish in options kvt shows I am using iso-8859-9
fonts (because it was all set in KDE that way IMHO) *but*
there is no .fvwmrc file in /root directory, and I can not see some
Turkish characters, all I can find is
/etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc  file but I don't think this is the my desktop
settings file because it includes bunch of stuff including netscape and I
see no netscape, so I can be happy running an xterm and opening all
applications from that window but I have to get Turkish fonts first, then
I can learn more about fvwm and pop-up windows. (A darker desktop
background would be nicer too :)  )

Regards to all.

-- 
 Can Baytan M.D. http://meds.ktu.edu.tr/cbaytan/cbaytan.html
 Karadeniz (Blacksea) Technical University          
 Medical School, Dept. of Physiology--Trabzon/TR             
 Fax:+90(462)377-5498 [email-masked] (BX15TGE)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Can BAYTAN M.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 06:40:20 +0200 (EET)

Hello again,

I found the configuration file which is /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc ,
now how do I configure myself with a file on /root/directory? Is it
possible?

And I read in that file as:
# make sure these fonts exist on your system:
WindowFont -adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
IconFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-* 

Are those the fonts which works on apps as kvt and wordperfect? If so how
do I add Turkish fonts in it?

Thanks in advance.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:01:47 -0500

> now how do I configure myself with a file on /root/directory? Is it

If you create a file named $HOME/.fvwm2rc, fvwm will read it
before the system.fvwm2rc file.  That may vary depending on how
Mandrake starts fvwm, but its worth a try.

> do I add Turkish fonts in it?

The  WindowFont is  used in  the  titlebar of  your   windows, and the
IconFont is used   in the  label  under  the  icons.  This should   be
explained in the fvwm man page.  Try "man fvwm2".

I think you should be able to substitute Turkish fonts.

The fonts that kvt and wordperfect use are controlled separately.
I don't know how either of those programs work.

I'm not  sure whats controlling your background,  there is an optional
fvwm module for  that, (FvwmBacker), you might want to check and see
if its running.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].