Subject: FVWM: Problems with fvwm2 X-window managers as compared to pmwm window managers

From: "Ramaswamy, Karthik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:54:49 -0500

Hi,
I am a developer at Goldman Sachs, NY city. Ever since our applications were
migrated for running on the fvwm2 window managers, we find the following
peculiar problem with the time-taken for the hiding of the popup windows:
Our traders use the etManual application for manual outright and swaps
trades. It takes an unusually long time to dismiss all manual trades. There
is a 'dismiss' button on our manual popup which when clicked would free the
resources associated with the current trade and just hide the current manual
popup (only to bring it up to the foreground later with a new trade). This
hiding of the manual popup is not taking place immediately. This looks to
have been around from the time fvwm2 managers were commissioned, but most of
the traders didn't make any fuss about this until one of our traders came up
two weeks back with this issue of the delayed hiding. I looked through the
program code and tested it for the time intervals amidst the time the
'dismiss' button had been clicked to the time the popup is actually hidden.
However, it doesn't show me any clue as regards times, since the hiding
seems to be an asynchronous function. However, I noticed that the window
gets hidden quickly with terminals using pmwm window managers, just the way
the traders want. On the other hand, on my solaris workstation terminal
using fvwm2 window manager I find that it indeed takes considerable time to
have the same popup hidden.

I would be grateful, if you could either point me to a web-page which
discusses why such a thing happens or on how I would need to proceed to
resolve this.

Merci Beaucoup,
Karthik Ramaswamy
(212) 855-9114 (Off.)
(732) 398-8586 (Res.)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:46:22 +0100

> discusses why such a thing happens or on how I would need to proceed to

I have hear similar reports several times, but I don't have a clue
what could cause them.  If I'd knew a way to reproduce this on my
Linux machine I would start debugging immediately.  Unfortunately
the problem seems to be restricted to Solaris.

Would it be possible for you to strip down your source code to a
small sample application that only creates this kind of popup
window and still shows the problem and send it to us?  Or if you
can't send this out of your company, create a new sample program?
It will be very helpful to know what the application is doing in
terms of X.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].