Subject: FVWM: Getting FocusFollowsMouse right

From: Harry Putnam <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 05:51:05 -0800

In the past using Redhat Linux systems up to 6.2 I've been able to
configure fvwm2 to my liking using Redhats setup with AnotherLevel
which is not the stock way to set up fvwm2.

Now running Freebsd and I'm trying to use the normal way of
configuring.  That is with an .fvwm2rc in $HOME/.fvwm/

fvwm2 -version    reveals:

  fvwm2 -version
  [FVWM][main]:  Fvwm Version 2.3.20 compiled on Jul  9 2000 at 13:37:33
  [FVWM][main]:  with support for:  ReadLine XPM IMLIB Session

One thing I haven't been able to get the way I want it is how focus is
handled.

I want FocusFollowsMouse where when the cursor enters/leaves a frame
that frame  gains/looses focus.  But further I want any frame the
cursor enters to be raised within a settable period of time.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get those interrelated items
to work together.

Or the syntax I need to set this in .fvwm2rc

So in summary I'm asking how to set things up so that:

Mouse Cursor enters window - window gets focus and is raised within <N ms>
Mouse Cursor leaves window - window looses focus.

No sloppy focus or other watered down version of FocusFollowsMouse.

In view of the mass of config files, vast number of Variables etc.
I'm findiing it difficult to get my preferred setup. 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:58:40 -0500

> I haven't been able to figure out how to get those interrelated items

I think whats confusing you is that the 2 issues are not that closely
related.

Try "man FvwmAuto".

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:02:56 -0800

> configuring.  That is with an .fvwm2rc in $HOME/.fvwm/

Good for you. FreeBSD rocks. Sorry, couldn't resist the call to
advocacy.
 
> Mouse Cursor enters window - window gets focus and is raised within <N ms>

man FvwmAuto

or

man FvwmEvent

for the complicated way...

> Mouse Cursor leaves window - window looses focus.

Style * MouseFocus
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"I am not a number; I am a free man!" - Number Six
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].