Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.3.22: symlink problems

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:11:08 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

I used to have fvwm 2.3.20 on my system. One day I decided to make some
room so that I could install Cygwin and since I had no free hard disk
left I decided to make a big tarball of /usr/local which contained
fvwm 2.3.20 among other things and reformat my /usr/local as a FAT32
partition so that it could be shared between Linux and Win2K which
could now install Cygwin there. Once that was done I reunpacked my
tarball to the /usr/local partition now built on top of FAT32. Things
ran pretty smoothly and fvwm 2.3.20 continued to run except for my
symbolic links were now broken. Then fvwm 2.3.22 was released recently
and I decided to give it a try but the make install stuff produced the
following errors as it was not possible to create the symbolic links.

ln -s FvwmEvent /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.22/FvwmAudio
ln: cannot create symbolic link `/usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.22/FvwmAudio'
to `FvwmEvent': Operation not permitted
make[3]: *** [install-exec-local] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/fvwm-2.3.22/modules/FvwmEvent'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/fvwm-2.3.22/modules/FvwmEvent'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/fvwm-2.3.22/modules'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I suggest that either the ./configure script be modified to allow an
option called --no-symlinks which would cause the make install
section of the Makefile to do all the useual stuff except for
symlinks. Alternatively the make install portion of the Makefile
could check the filesystem to see if symlinks are supported but
I don't know whether there's an easy way to do this other than
reading /etc/fstab which of course is not optimal.

By the way, as it stands I can run fvwm2 but some things such
as the FvwmPager do not work as make install never got to the
part of the Makefile which installed it (only some modules were
installed in /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.22 so probably even
ensuring that all symlinks are created only at the very end of
the make install stage might result in a fix provided that there
is nothing else that needs to be done after that).

Thanks,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:57:39 -0500

> is nothing else that needs to be done after that).

Use "make -k" to keep going after an error.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:14:23 +0200

> to `FvwmEvent': Operation not permitted

Go to modules/FvwmEvent/Makefile and remove or comment one of the last
lines starting with $(LN_S), then rerun 'make install'.
The next version will try cp here if ln is failed.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:25:36 +0200

> The next version will try cp here if ln is failed.

Thinking about this more, you can do this already now yourself, just run
'make LN_S=cp install' or make LN_S=true install'.

Regards,
Mikhael.