Subject: FVWM: GrabFocus and vncserver

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:47:11 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

I have the line

Style * GrabFocus

in my fvwm2 configuration file and I am running version 2.3.22.
This works for most windows except for the one launched when I
type vncserver at the command prompt. This application is part
of VNC which is distributed at:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

How come GrabFocus is not working with this application:

FvwmIdent reveals:

Name:       serverDialog
Icon Name:  serverDialog
Resource:   Vncviewer
Windows ID: 0x340000d

etc...

Transient:         Yes
Focus Policy:      Passive
  - Input Field:   True
  - WM_TAKE_FOCUS: XGetWMProtocols failed

I tried the following but it did not work:

Style "Vncviewer" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent
Style "serverDialog" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent

What should I do to get the "VNC server password window" to grab the
focus when it appears?

Thanks,

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 07:50:02 +0100

> What should I do to get the "VNC server password window" to grab the

It's a bug in vnc.  It sets the transientfor hint, but then
provides a nonsense window id for the hint (0x2 in my case).  The
logic in fvwm only grabs focus for new transients if their
'transientfor' currently has focus - which is not the case since
the window does not even exist.

The good news: I made a patch so that GrabFocus overrides
GrabFocusTransient in this case, so it should work for now.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].