Subject: FVWM: Questions about multiple-display support

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:45:53 -0800 (PST)

I'm running fvwm on xfree86 4.0.1 with two screens. I would like to be
able to have seperate per-screen configurations.
I started with fvwm 2.2 from Debian, and I'm currently using fvwm 2.3 from
CVS, and there appears to be no capability to define seperate
configurations. Can this feature be added in time for 2.4?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:08:38 +0200

> configurations. Can this feature be added in time for 2.4?

The following works with 2.3 (the first method should work with 2.2 too).
In 2.3 you should have your include files in ~/.fvwm or specify full paths.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are at least 2 ways to define different fvwm configurations for
your screens in multi-headed display system.

1) Create .fvwm2rc-[012] files and start fvwm in .xinitrc (or .Xclients):

  fvwm2 -s -d :0.0 -f .fvwm2rc-0 &
  fvwm2 -s -d :0.1 -f .fvwm2rc-1 &
  fvwm2 -s -d :0.2 -f .fvwm2rc-2

If you wish, .fvwm2rc-* files may all include line "Read .fvwm2rc-common".

2) Start fvwm2 as usual without parameters and put into your .fvwm2rc:

  Read .fvwm2rc-$[screen]

This will read a specific configuration for screen N from .fvwm2rc-N file,
where N is 0, 1, 2.. depending on the number of your screens.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will add this to FVWM FAQ soon, since there were at least 3 similar
questions on different fvwm related lists.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:27:50 +0100

> configurations. Can this feature be added in time for 2.4?

This is not hard to accomplish with 2.3.x.  Put all the common
lines in your central configuration file (.fvwm2rc) and add this
line at the end:

  Read .fvwm2rc.$[screen]

Then create a file .fvwm2rc.0 for your first screen .1 for the
second screen and so on.  The only thing you have to make sure is
that the files have to be found in the config dir, which usually
is $HOME/.fvwm if you did not modify anything (I believe - at
least it works for me).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:25:08 +0100

> questions on different fvwm related lists.

Too late :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:33:21 -0800 (PST)

Great! I'm only having two problems now here.. I'm using Debian's fvwm2rc
system with the user hooks in it. I have all my module resource setting
and Style settings done in my ~/.fvwm/post.hook
My post.hook is Read'ing post.hook.$[screen], which have per-display
customisations for FvwmIconMan and FvwmPager.

I am loading FvwmIconMan from my init-restart.hook, as the local
documentation indicates I should. FvwmPager is loading from the system
fvwm2rc file.

Problem: My FvwmPagerGeometry setting is halfway-honoured: The size part
is honoured but the placement part isn't, for either screen.

Problem: (old problem even with fvwm 2.2) I gain two instances of
FvwmIconMan per screen, superimposed on each other. My gut feeling is that
there will be 'n' of these, where n is the number of screens attached to
the session.

I've checked, and discovered that even loading FvwmIconMan from
init-restart.hook.0 and not from .1 loads two instances on screen 0. It
appears that FvwmIconMan is too smart for its own good?