Subject: FVWM: Can't move a window?

From: Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:03:47 -0400

I just installed fvwm-2.3.21, primarily to make use of the
ResizeHintOverride functionality.  Now I'm trying (in part) to move a
window to 0x0 and having trouble.  When running mutt, the following
works:

AddToFunc Foobar
 + I Exec rxvt -e mutt
 + I Wait "mut*"
 + I Next ("mut*") Move 0 0

When Foobar is run, mutt pops up in a window and then moves to the top
left.  However, when I try the same with my Windows 2000 TS client
(which is what I'm trying to get setup here):

AddToFunc Windows2000 
 + I Exec wfica -desc "W2000 Desktop (2)" -nosplash -quiet
 + I Wait "W2000*"
 + I Next ("W2000*") Move 0 0

The resulting window never moves to 0x0.  Note that the style on the
window is set by:

Style "W2000 Desktop*"  NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0, ResizeHintOverride

if that makes a difference.

    Any ideas what could be causing the difference in behavior here?
Your help is appreciated.

( CC's appreciated )

-- 
Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Microsoft is not the answer.
  Microsoft is the question.
  Linux is the answer."
   -- Humorix (http://i-want-a-website.com/about-linux/)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:56:08 +0200

> Your help is appreciated.

In most cases when styles seem not to work there is a problem
with the style name.  Please use FvwmIdent to find out the
window's class and resource name.  You can use one of these as
the style name.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:34:17 -0400

Thanks for your help, but that doesn't seem to quite fix the
problem.  The Style is actually working.  I only mentioned it in case it
had an impact.  It's the Windows2000 function that's causing problems.
The Exec line works, and the Wait line waits as expected (tested by
putting debug lines before and after).   However, the Next line fails to
move the window, though it does in the function Foobar.  I can't
understand the difference.

    I did run FvwmIdent.  The Name and Icon Name are both "W2000
Desktop (2)".  The Class and Resource are both "Wfica".  I went ahead
and tried using Next ("Wfica"), but that didn't seem to work, either.

    Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

-- 
Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "If Gates is going back into programming and design, this is the
  best thing that ever happened to Linux."
   -- Jon "maddog" Hall, Linux evangelist
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:34:39 +0200

> if that makes a difference.

You should narrow the problem first.

One of 3 things happen:
  1) Wait is not passed. To test this, add after Wait this line: + I Beep
  2) Next returns nothing. To test this, write: + I Next ("W2000*") Beep
  3) Move is not working on this window for some reason

You can use other than Beep test command, like: Exec xmessage "Passed 1".

If [1] - the problem may be in resource names at the window creation time.
As a side note, the Wait syntax you use (quotes) is only valid after 2.3.16.
If Wait is not passed, use Ctrl-Alt-Escape to abort Wait.

If [2] - try the following: Next (Wfica, CirculateHit) Beep

If [3] - can you move this window at all using Move command (bound to a
key/menu)? If no, this window probably has "Override redirection?: Yes"
as seen in `xwininfo -all`. In this case the problem is in a window.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:09:02 -0400

> as seen in `xwininfo -all`. In this case the problem is in a window.

    Thanks for the testing info.  I had already done some testing using
Execs.  I have now used your methods to confirm what I've thought.  I've
verified that the Wait is passed, and that Next returns appropriately
(with both "W2000*" and "Wfica", btw).  The problem is that the Move
doesn't work.  However, xwininfo reports "Override redirection?: No" for
the window.  Additionally, I can pull up FvwmTalk after the window has
loaded, and the Next..Move command will work.

    I don't know much about X11, but I've got one possible explanation.
When the window first appears, it is centered on the screen.  xwininfo
shows that the program supplies a location and a size.  Is is possible
that the centering occurs after the Move 0 0 command executes, thereby
cancelling it out?  If so, is there a way around this?  The only other
explanation I have is a problem in Fvwm2.

-- 
Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
   -- Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux operating system
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 02:27:01 +0200

> explanation I have is a problem in Fvwm2.

Probably the following line after Wait may verify your guess:

  + I PipeRead `sleep 3`

Or try other ways to postpone Next..Move command, which, you say, works.

Regards,
Mikhael.