Subject: FVWM: alt key unpredictable

From: Geordie Birch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:37:28 +0000 (GMT)

I am running XFree86 3.3.6-10 and the F? virtual window manager
2.2.4-2 which makes use of the alt key in conjunction with the 
function keys.

Seemingly at random X switches from sending these keypresses to 
fvwm to sending them straight to the client processes.

This is frustrating, esp. since I am setting up some public access
terminals which I would like to keep user-friendly.

gb.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:56:06 -0400

> terminals which I would like to keep user-friendly.

Read the information in the FAQ that mentions numlock.
Does that help?

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Oct 2000 21:59:46 -0400

%% Geordie Birch <[email-masked]> writes:

  gb> I am running XFree86 3.3.6-10 and the F? virtual window manager
  gb> 2.2.4-2 which makes use of the alt key in conjunction with the 
  gb> function keys.

  gb> Seemingly at random X switches from sending these keypresses to 
  gb> fvwm to sending them straight to the client processes.

I'll betcha the random times oh-so-coincidentally occur just after
you've toggled your NUMLOCK key (or perhaps CAPSLOCK key)... right? :)

Check the FAQ.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Geordie Birch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:09:44 +0000 (GMT)

thanks for the quick and accurate responses.  sorry to post before reading
the docs.

said Geordie Birch, on Oct 26,