Subject: FVWM: Scared to upgrade

From: Bertie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:47:44 +0000

I use Slackware 7 with fvwm95-2.0.43b.

It is fine on the whole but I think I have discovered a bug with
scrolling: I cannot mouse-drag the scroller thumb on the left of any
xterm shell window. Sometimes, but not always I can scroll with
SHIFT+PAGEUP and SHIFT+PAGEDOWN. This has not bothered me in the past
but now I want to use XFM and 
double click on, say, an image file and get it displayed under an
appropriate viewer that I can configure with $HOME/.xfm/xfmrc. But for
this to be of any use I need to be able to scroll through some rather
large directories.

So the questions are (1) Will upgrading cure the bug? (2) Can I upgrade
just by downloading and installing a later version without first
uninstalling the existing version? (3) What precautions do 
I need to take about my existing configuration files such as the
.fvm95rc files?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:04:00 -0500

> I need to take about my existing configuration files such as the

As I think you are aware, fvwm95 is a very old fork of fvwm2 and
was never part of fvwm2.

As far as I know, fvwm2 is now able to do everything fvwm95 does.

The 2 config files  are very similar,  I suggest  you just  rename the
file and see what falls out.

I don't see how changing window managers will help.  This doesn't sound
like a window manager issue.

When keys and buttons stop working, its sometimes helpful to check
your NumLock, ScrollLock settings.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Rainer Koehler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:33:11 -0800

> this to be of any use I need to be able to scroll through some rather

To me, this sounds like the standard behaviour of old X applications
like xterm, xfm, and friends.  Their scrollbars do not behave like
scrollbars in Motif, tcl/tk, and so on.  Instead, you click with the
left mouse button to scroll down, right mouse button to scroll ab, and
you can drag with the *middle* mouse button.

If you want a standard scrollbar, try rxvt instead of xterm.  Of
course, this won't help with xfm.

> So the questions are (1) Will upgrading cure the bug?

Upgrading fvwm won't help, since this is not an window manager
problem.  Window managers manage windows, not their contents.

> (2) Can I upgrade just by downloading and installing a later version
> without first uninstalling the existing version?

If you install from the source, you should be able to specify
different directories for the modules and the manpages.  On SuSE
systems, you can have fvwm1 and fvwm2 at the same time.

> (3) What precautions do I need to take about my existing
> configuration files such as the .fvm95rc files?

Make a backup copy before you start fiddling with it.  But since the
name of the new config file is .fvwm2rc, even this shouldn't be
necessary.

Hope this helps,
Rainer