Subject: FVWM: xterm problems

From: joe mama <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:27:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all.  I'm running fvwm-2.2.4 on Solaris 8.  My
problem is that every time I open an xterm it hangs
for about 15 seconds and my .csrhc is read before it
luanches an xterm.

This is the command that I'm using to launch an xterm:

xgreen xterm -fg green -bg black -sb -sl 1000 &

It's really annoying having to wait for my desktop to
reload every time I open an xterm.  Anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-fr0sbyte

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf!  It's FREE.
http://im.yahoo.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:57:57 -0400

> reload every time I open an xterm.  Anyone have any

What does the "xgreen" command do?

My login  shell is ksh,  I'm using Solaris  8 on  an  Ultra 5.  xterms
start  pretty fast (less  than a   second),  but I still  prefer rxvt.
(color  PS1 strings, colorls,  and pixmap  backgrounds, not to mention
the reduced memory use.)

I've never used csh, but I've read that its not a good idea.
What do you have in your .cshrc that takes so long?
The bulk of your profile should be in your .profile (or .dtprofile).

Has your PATH gotten out of control?  Searching for things with a really
long path can slow things down.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:41:10 -0700

not sure what your problem is but here are few hints:

  try to run xterm like this:

  xterm -e top&

  that way .cshrc is not executed and you will find out if the delay is
becuase of xterm or because of .cshrc

  once you figure out where the problem lies, try either of these:

  - inspect .cshrc, comment out suspicious parts etc until you find out
the reason for delay (be sure to make a backup copy of /cshrc)

  - try to use different version of xterm, different terminal emulator
etc...

  btw what do you mean by "having to wait for my desktop to reload every
time I open an xterm"? does the whole desktop freeze? or only xterm?

  what's xgreen?

  btw this does not look like fvwm problem...

	erik