Subject: FVWM: Resizing windows that don't want to

From: Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:44:08 -0400

I'm sure there's something legitimate going on here, but I don't
understand it and would like to work around it.  I'm running a program
that pops up a window of a certain size.  When I resize it smaller, it
uses it's own scroll bars.  When I make it larger, it grows to the
original size and then doesn't let me make it any bigger.

    Is there any way to force this window to grow larger?  I would think
so, since a colleague running Sawmill is able to resize the window
larger.  I'd like to know how to do it in Fvwm 2.2.4.  Thanks.

P.S.  I'm not subscribed, so please make sure that replies are Cc'ed to
me.

-- 
Bob Bell <[email-masked]>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Just don't create a file called -rf.  :-)"
   -- Larry Wall, creator of the Perl programming language
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:18:48 +0200

> original size and then doesn't let me make it any bigger.

If you run 'xwininfo -size' on your window, you will see something like:

  Normal window size hints:
      Program supplied minimum size: 247 by 101
      Program supplied maximum size: 247 by 101

> larger.  I'd like to know how to do it in Fvwm 2.2.4.  Thanks.

I don't think it is possible in 2.2, the program wishes are respected.
In 2.3 versions you can force resizing of, say, gnome-run window by:

  Style "gnome-run" ResizeHintOverride

Regards,
Mikhael.