Subject: FVWM: Style ... StaysPut

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 21:25:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I recently upgraded to 2.3.19 (from the FreeBSD ports, which
added fvwm2-beta a while back), and didn't have too much trouble adjusting
my fvwm2rc to the new syntax.  All the errors were dumped to STDERR, so it
was easy to catch, except for the problems because of the new way panels
are done in FvwmButtons, but that wasn't too hard.  One thing, though, was
that the StaysOnTop settings I had for Fvwm* weren't being honoured any
more.  I had a look and saw this business about Layers, and decided to
test things out by saying xterms should StaysPut.  This not only made it
so that xterms stay under the Fvwm* windows, but everything else,
too!  Why did this happen?  I thought I'd have to specify StaysPut for
everything else.

Bill
-- 
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/ : Caveat lector.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 17:54:09 +0200

> added fvwm2-beta a while back), and didn't have too much trouble adjusting

The more correct name would be fvwm-beta, the package name is fvwm.

> too!  Why did this happen?  I thought I'd have to specify StaysPut for

I can't reproduce any problem by using StaysPut (this is a default)
or StaysOnTop, StaysOnBottom in the current CVS version.
If you execute Style Stays* commands dynamically (say in FvwmConsole) you
should also execute Recapture, since they only affect an initial placement.

If you think there are problems, post here (or to fvwm-workers@ list)
the output of: egrep 'Stays|Layer' .fvwm2rc. Try to use the daily snapshot.

Regards,
Mikhael.