Subject: FVWM: window placement

From: "Czarina Caro L. Tablante 1995-24644" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:19:52 -0800 (GMT)

My XWindows has to be restarted just to get my windows in their right
positions. the only applications opened upon startup are netscape and
3 sxpm windows (to act as graphical overlays to parts of netscape
that i DONT want the user to be able to click on). Upon first startup
of Xwindows, or after i changed something in my .xinitrc, the xpms
are on the wrong positions! After killing X and starting it again
(there are times i've had to do it twice or thrice), the xpm's (using
sxpm's) are in the right places already. i've read that fvwm and sxpm
dont work together well, and the solution was to add "sleep
<seconds>" after each call to sxpm in the .xinitrc file. i did that,
and that's still how my windows look. this is surely fvwm's problem,
but i have no idea how to solve it. does anybody know what i can do
about this? 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:21:29 -0400

> but i have no idea how to solve it. does anybody know what i can do

You should always mention version numbers.

I looked at sxpm in the xpm package version 3.4j.

sxpm.c reads the geometry argument, but doesn't set x/y coordinates.
The problem with geometry is in sxpm, not fvwm.
It might not be hard to fix sxpm.

If you mention the version of fvwm you are using, it might be possible
to make fvwm move the window to the location you want after its
created.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Czarina Caro L. Tablante 1995-24644" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:24:00 -0800 (GMT)

> to make fvwm move the window to the location you want after its

oops sorry.. i use fvwm 2.2.4 and in my .xinitrc, this is how i call 
the sxpm windows:

sxpm -geometry +22+0 /home/czarina/pet.xpm &

when i restart XWindows, the sxpms are in their correct positions 
already, but never on startup.

Thanks! :)

C

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 02:00:49 +0200

> already, but never on startup.

Like Dan said, sxpm does not set any position hints, so fvwm can know
nothing about your +22+0. The bug is in sxpm.

Here is what happens. sxpm does not itself manage -g (-geometry) argument.
I suppose it is done in XtInitialize(), because there is no other places
in the source where it can be managed.

When sxmp is run under fvwm (or other wm with own placement policy), fvwm
places it accordingly to your *Placement style options, since there are no
any program or user position hints. Can be verified with 'xwininfo -size'.

But when sxpm is run outside of wm (or before it), the -geometry flag
*is* applied. Add 'sleep 10' without ampersand to work around sxpm bug.
Without (or with small) sleep, it is not guaranteed that sxpm will be
mapped before fvwm is run, so you can get random results, like you did.

Regards,
Mikhael.