Subject: FVWM: StaysOnBottom

From: Christoph Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:48:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm missing a feature in fvwm2, namely StaysOnBottom.
I have several windows that I normally don't want to get in the way of
others, so it would be convenient if those could just stay below all
others. Is there a possibility that this will be implemented or is there a
function/whatever that does that?

Christoph

PS: I'm not on the mailing list, so please Cc: me.
-- 
Lehrstuhl für Rechnerarchitektur
Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany
http://www-wjp.cs.uni-sb.de/~cb/ , +49/681/302-4490, -4290 (Fax)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:52:51 +0200

> function/whatever that does that?

That functionality can be obtained in the development series with the
Layer stuff.

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:38:39 -0400

> PS: I'm not on the mailing list, so please Cc: me.

StaysOnBottom is present in the latest betas.
Download a recent snapshot.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Geo Pertea <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:11:28 -0400

Hi, I am new to this list, but I do like fvwm a lot because it is so light
and fast and yet powerful and I prefer to use it instead of the bloated
windows managers installed by newer versions of RedHat Linux (which we use as
the Linux distribution here)

Anyway, I was very pleased with a feature which was present in version 2.0.xx
of fvwm2 but it doesn't seem to be there for more recent versions ( I haven't
tried the v2.3.xx yet).  With the newer versions I cannot make the taskbar to
display the application windows for the _current_ disjoint desktop only, in
other words it seems to me that there is no way to setup multiple disjoint
desktops each with a separate taskbar behaviour, as now the taskbar displays
all the active applications opened in all the independent desktops at once,
which is sometimes very incomfortable for me. As a result, I had no choice
but to uninstall the fvwm v2.2.xx which comes with RedHat 6.x and "downgrade"
to a 2.0.xx version that I took from a RedHat 5.2 distribution. I checked the
development history information at fvwm.org and I couldn't find a reason or a
mention of this feature being removed from fvwm2.

Am I missing something here? Was this feature (of FvwmTaskBar, I guess)
removed for good? Maybe I just don't know, for the new versions,  how to make
the FvwmTaskBar to be desktop-specific and display only the applications
opened in the current disjoint desktop...

Thank you for any hints about this.

Geo Pertea
[email-masked]
The Insitute for Genomic Research
Rockville, MD 20850

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:27:04 -0400

> Thank you for any hints about this.

Its back in the latest beta releases:

     *FvwmTaskBarDeskOnly
          Tells FvwmTaskBar to show the windows that are only  on
          the  current  desktop.  When desktops are switched, the
          list of windows changes accordingly.

Go to the download page and pick a recent snapshot.