Subject: FVWM: keyboard shortcuts

From: Jeff Howie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:54:00 -0500

Hi all. While testing procmail I lost the messages I was keeping from
previous posts, so thanks to those who helped me start off down the
happy road to mouse-less operation!

Here's what I've been using so far with good success. Any comments &
suggestions are more than welcome.

thks again.

--
Key Tab     A       M       Next (CurrentPage) NextFocusAndRaise
    AddToFunc NextFocusAndRaise
    + I Next (CurrentPage) Focus
    + I Raise
Key Tab     A       C       Prev (CurrentPage) PrevFocusAndRaise
    AddToFunc PrevFocusAndRaise
    + I Prev (CurrentPage) Focus
    + I Raise
Key Left    A       SCM     Desk -1 0 2         # next desktop to the left
Key Right   A       SCM     Desk 1 0 2          # next desktop to the right
# The Maximize functions take in to account the space @ the bottom of
# the screen taken up by things like the pager, etc.
Key F1      A       M       Maximize 100 88     # maximize
Key F2      A       M       Maximize 0 88       # Maximize vertically
Key F3      A       M       Maximize 100 0      # Maximize horizontally
Key F1      A       C       Menu RootMenu
Key F2      A       C       Menu Window-Ops
Key R       A       CM      Restart fvwm2
Key X       A       C       Exec xterm
--

-- 
------------------------------------------------------
| THKS :&>               | Federated Insurance       |
| Jeff Howie             | Information Systems - P&C |
| Int Programmer/Analyst | 204.786.6431.x.217        |
------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jeff Howie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 22:01:09 -0500

Sorry to reply to my own message, but there was one question that I
wanted to ask that I forgot. The PrevFocusAndRaise & NextFocusAndRaise
functions that i (slighlty) modified from your suggestioms _work_, but
they're really slow. It seems the raise operation (?) takes a long
time (a few second pause). Is there anything I can do about that?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 08:35:09 -0400

> > Key Tab     A       M       Next (CurrentPage) NextFocusAndRaise
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >     + I Next (CurrentPage) Focus
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >     + I Raise

Right now I'm unable to reproduce the delay, but aren't there too many
"Next (CurrentPage)"'s there?  Try using one in either the function or
the key binding.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jeff Howie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:34:20 -0500

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 09:20:46AM -0500, Jeff Howie wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 08:35:09AM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
>     Key Tab     A       M       NextFocusAndRaise
> It still takes a good 2 seconds to switch from one window to the next,

AHA! Thanks to an unrelated message posted by Jerry Alexandratos
asking how to turn off FvwmAuto, I now have what I was looking for. By
using the following combination:

--
AddToFunc InitFunction
+             "I" Module FvwmAuto 0 Raise Nop
AddToFunc RestartFunction
+             "I" Module FvwmAuto 0 Raise Nop
Key Tab     A       M       Next (CurrentPage) Focus
Key Tab     A       C       Prev (CurrentPage) Focus
--

I now have my quick focus&raise. I'm guessing that the default raise
delay is 200ms or so? :$}

Thanks all, especially to Jerry. It pays to skulk!