Subject: Re: FVWM: FVWM 2.2.4 vs Rational Rose (Solaris)

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 09:20:08 -0400

Raymond Toy <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> I've been using FVWM for ages and it's always worked for me just
> fine.  However, I've started using Rational Rose for Solaris.  FVWM
> seems to get completely confused.

Rational Rose  uses some software from Mainsoft  that  lets MS Windows
applications be recompiled to run on UNIX.

There seem to be 2 Mainsoft Knowledgebase pages that relate to UNIX
window managers:

http://www.mainsoft.com/nbase/mainwin/kb/kbmw0027.htm
http://www.mainsoft.com/nbase/mainwin/kb/kbmw0034.htm

The second page looks like it might help, try
exporting MWWM=allwm before you run your application.

You might also try MWWM=MWM.  With this it would make sense to tell
fvwm to respect MWM decor hints.

I think the fvwm-workers list would be interested in any results you
can tell us about.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Sep 2000 10:11:39 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> seems to get completely confused.

    Dan> Rational Rose  uses some software from Mainsoft  that  lets MS Windows
    Dan> applications be recompiled to run on UNIX.

    Dan> There seem to be 2 Mainsoft Knowledgebase pages that relate to UNIX
    Dan> window managers:

    Dan> http://www.mainsoft.com/nbase/mainwin/kb/kbmw0027.htm
    Dan> http://www.mainsoft.com/nbase/mainwin/kb/kbmw0034.htm

    Dan> The second page looks like it might help, try
    Dan> exporting MWWM=allwm before you run your application.

    Dan> You might also try MWWM=MWM.  With this it would make sense to tell
    Dan> fvwm to respect MWM decor hints.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

This works just fine!  Setting MWWM=allwm, Rose comes up like a normal
X app where the WM draws the borders.  With MWWM=MWM, it works ok too
except that for the main window, no borders are drawn by the WM and
Rose draws it's own borders (I have fvwm respecting MWM decor hints).
(This is correct as mentioned by the Knowledgebase pages above.)  I
don't recall what Rose looks like with dtwm, but I suspect it's quite
close to all MWWM=MWM.

    Dan> I think the fvwm-workers list would be interested in any results you
    Dan> can tell us about.

If the fvwm-workers list is different from [email-masked], then I'm not
on it, and for some reason I can't reach www.fvwm.org right now to
find out what it is.

Your help very, Very, VERY much appreciated!!!!!!

Ray

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 21:17:07 +0200

> fvwm to respect MWM decor hints.

Dan, would you please add something to the FAQ?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].