Subject: FVWM: Copying

From: Peter Novodvorsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:38:49 +0400

Hello!

How can I copy contents of one Menu to another.
I mean, I made menus 'menu1' and 'menu2'. Then I filled
menu1 with something. How can i copy all contents of menu1 to menu2, so
i can delete menu1?

Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Novodvorsky,
IPLabs Linux Team member:                  [email-masked].
Linux.RU.NET Team member:  [email-masked], [email-masked].

-- System Information
Debian release: woody
System: Linux lambda 2.2.14 #1 Sun Jan 16 13:48:57 EST 2000 i586 unknown

PS. Could you add me to Cc, I'm not subscribed to this list.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 06:38:40 +0300

> menu1 with something. How can i copy all contents of menu1 to menu2, so

You can't copy menu items dynamically as of now.

If you simply need a way to avoid a duplication, you can create a function
to add to your menus and call it several times:

  AddToFunc AddBrowserItemsToMenu
  + I AddToMenu $0 "%mini/www.xpm%Mozilla" Exec exec mozilla
  + I AddToMenu $0 "%mini/www.xpm%Galeon" Exec exec galeon
  + I AddToMenu $0 "%mini/www.xpm%Lynx" Exec exec xterm -n lynx -e lynx
  + I AddToMenu $0 "" Nop

  AddBrowserItemsToMenu MyMenu1
  AddBrowserItemsToMenu MyMenu2

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:34:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Simple question.  I've been using fvwm for some time now but
always the latest stable release.  I thought I might try living a little
more on the edge and use some of the beta code to explore some of the
theme work and new features which are being put into fvwm.  Any
suggestions on:

1) Themes?  I've been using a hacked AnotherLevel m4 configuration.  How
far has the themes work progressed?

2) New features, etc.  Am I reading the man pages like a book to find out
what's new or is something else written up?

3) Suggestion on which release to try and why?  How to get it?  etc?

Thanks for reading such a boring email, :-)

Tom

One more question.  Has there been any thought of including some scripting
abilities into the .fvwm2rc files such as a simple include, or has it been
decided to leave this sort of thing to m4 or cpp pre-processing?

_________________________________________________________________________
Thomas Gardiner
[email-masked]

University of Rochester
Department of Physics and Astronomy
P. O. Box 270171
Rochester, NY 14627-0171

(716) 275-9625 Office
(716) 275-8527 fax
__________________________________________________________________________

The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
__________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:49:25 -0400

> what's new or is something else written up?

Look at the "docs/ANNOUNCE" file.

> 3) Suggestion on which release to try and why?  How to get it?  etc?

The latest snapshot.  Its very stable.  Check the download section at
www.fvwm.org.

> decided to leave this sort of thing to m4 or cpp pre-processing?

Fvwm's "read" command does this.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 13:04:45 +0300

> far has the themes work progressed?

"How far" depends on what you expect to have at the end, maybe it already
has everything you need. You are welcome to try and comment.

> what's new or is something else written up?

There is a NEWS file containing all new features and changes.

> decided to leave this sort of thing to m4 or cpp pre-processing?

Yes and no. There are several preprocessings in rc file, mainly expending
special variables, like $n, $d in certain contexts, environment variables
$[USER] and more. And PipeRead command provides shell scripting abilities.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 10:55:14 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Dan and Mikhael,

I should have upgraded to the latest snapshot a long time ago!  I like the
changes that have been made, moving everything to ~/.fvwm (by default) and
making use of a read ConfigFvwm____ .

Tell me, can an environment variable be used like this?

read decors/$[DECORS]

where DECORS is an environment variable?  When is the read actually done?

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find anything on this in the man pages.

In case you can't tell, I'm going to play a little game and see if I can't
replace the functionality of AnotherLevel (Hopefully improve upon it) by
using just the commands allowed in fvwm. :-)  These days it just seems to
big and cumbersome to me.

Tom

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 12:20:24 -0400

> I'm sorry, but I couldn't find anything on this in the man pages.

Read works with environment variables.
I couldn't find it in the man page either.  Could have sworn it
was there...

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 06:16:22 +0300

> > where DECORS is an environment variable?  When is the read actually done?

Read is a blocking command, it is done immediately when encountered.
This command existed since fvwm 2.0 versions.

> > I'm sorry, but I couldn't find anything on this in the man pages.

% man fvwm2
/\$\[            - jumps to 'COMMAND LINE PARAMETER EXPANSION' section

> I couldn't find it in the man page either.  Could have sworn it

Dan, maybe you mean Restart, it works with $DECORS without braces too.

Every fvwm command works with $[DECORS] starting from 2.3.19, i.e. this is
replaced with the contents of the DECORS environment variable if exists,
or left as is if not exists.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 23:46:09 -0400

Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > I should have upgraded to the latest snapshot a long time ago!  I like th
> > > changes that have been made, moving everything to ~/.fvwm (by default) an
> > > where DECORS is an environment variable?
...
> /\$\[            - jumps to 'COMMAND LINE PARAMETER EXPANSION' section

You are right of course.

I think that section should be titled "COMMAND PARAMETER EXPANSION".
The term "command line" is used earlier in the page with a different
meaning.