Subject: FVWM: twm style & more info

From: Bill Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:36:03 -0500

Hi, here's a feature of twm that I really liked.  In my .twmrc I have

WindowRing {"emacs" "xdvi" "Ediff" "ghostview"}
"L5"    = 	: all		: f.warpring "next"

Then I can hit L5 and it toggles between my Emacs & Xdvi windows.  Is
there an fwm analogue of this?

Also, where can I get more fvwm info?  All I have is the FAQ, which is
helpful, but doesn't tell me how anything works.  

I'm using the Another Level interface, so I have these canned files 

.fvwm2rc.decors .fvwm2rc.defines, .fvwm2rc.defstyles, .fvwm2rc.init

which are pretty good, but I can't read them, to some extent I can
modify them.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:27:44 +0300

> there an fwm analogue of this?

Here is an equivalent if I understand twm correctly.

Style "*"	CirculateSkip
Style "emacs"	CirculateHit
Style "xdvi"	CirculateHit
Style "Ediff"	CirculateHit
Style ghostview	CirculateHit
Key L5 A A	Next (!Iconified CurrentDesk) SwitchToWindow

AddToFunc SwitchToWindow
+ I Focus
+ I Raise
+ I WarpToWindow 50 10p

There are other solutions not using CirculateSkip/CirculateHit. With some
function programming you can make several window-rings. You can also use
WindowListSkip/WindowListHit style options and WindowList (for example
bound to Alt-Tab) to show only certain applications.

> helpful, but doesn't tell me how anything works.  

Try 'man fvwm2'. This is your main reference, there are also man pages for
all modules, like FvwmPager, FvwmButtons.

> which are pretty good, but I can't read them, to some extent I can

These are most probably m4 files, i.e. they are first preprocessed using
FvwmM4 to get the real fvwm configuration. See 'info m4' for m4 syntax.
It is possible to create ~/.fvwm2rc without any preprocessing.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 07:57:01 -0400 (EDT)

>helpful, but doesn't tell me how anything works.  

Man pages are very good.

>which are pretty good, but I can't read them, 

Why it is written in english...  It's just m4.  For syntax use man m4 or
just learn by example.  It's fairly well written from the point of code
with comments.

>to some extent I can modify them.

That's good.  You should know that the AnotherLevel setup is a RedHat
piece of code and is not directly part of fvwm.

Tom

---

From: Bill Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:37:58 -0500

>Also, where can I get more fvwm info?  All I have is the FAQ,
   >which is helpful, but doesn't tell me how anything works.

   Man pages are very good.

How dumb of me.  I had my MANPATH set for the Sun network, so I wasn't
getting a fvwm2 man page.  I changed my .bash_profile to now read:

case `uname` in 
        Linux) ;;
        SunOS)  export MANPATH=/home/dehn/richter/man:/usr/tex/man:/usr/net/man:/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/openwin/share/man 
esac

and now I can read the 3383 line long fvwm2 man page!

---

From: Bill Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 20:52:52 -0500

Style "*"	CirculateSkip

   AddToFunc SwitchToWindow
   + I Focus
   + I Raise
   + I WarpToWindow 50 10p

Thanks.  This actually works even better for me:

Style "*"	CirculateSkip
Key F10 A A	Next (!Iconified CurrentDesk) WarpToWindow 50 30

I put that in my .fvwm2rc.defstyles.  

Now I can recomment 

# Uncomment USE_AUTO_RAISE turn turn on window autoraising by default
# define(`USE_AUTO_RAISE')

in my .fvwm2rc.defines, and also put in .fvwm2rc.defines the command

define(`DESKTOP_SIZE',1x1)

Anyone know the rhyme or reason to all these different AnotherLevel m4
files?  I couldn't find any RedHat info, they just give you the files 

 (poincare)richter> ls /etc/X11/AnotherLevel
 decors/               fvwm2rc.defstyles.m4  fvwm2rc.macros.m4
 fvwm2rc.apps.m4       fvwm2rc.forms.m4      fvwm2rc.menus.m4
 fvwm2rc.apps.orig     fvwm2rc.functions.m4  fvwm2rc.modules.m4
 fvwm2rc.apps.rpmsave  fvwm2rc.hostmenus.m4  fvwm2rc.mouse.m4
 fvwm2rc.apps~         fvwm2rc.init.m4       fvwm2rc.xlock.m4
 fvwm2rc.decors.m4     fvwm2rc.keys.m4       scripts/
 fvwm2rc.defines.m4    fvwm2rc.m4

and say go have fun.  I can't see what the difference between the
files is, why put something in one file rather than another.  

-- 
Bill 
<http://www.math.nwu.edu/~richter>

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:31:37 -0400 (EDT)

>files is, why put something in one file rather than another.  

The idea is that it should be self explanitory.  Each file contains
configuration commands which match the file name. 

fvwm2rc.defines.m4 -> user selected defines

fvwm2rc.functions.m4 -> Functions set up by the writers of AnotherLevel to
simplify and define the behaviour of menu selections and the like.

fvwm2rc.xlock.m4 -> A FvwmForm which also makes use of a script to _try_
and figure out what screensavers are available and make a form for user
selection.

fvwm2rc.mouse.m4-> mouse configuration...

 Furthemore, they expect
that the common user will only choose to edit one or two of the files
(putting them in their home directory and renaming them and all that) and
the rest of the files would remain at the system level.  If you want to
use the win95 like interface then that is fine, but you will quickly
become bored as you apparently are and start changing things.

So, the point of the defines is that it is supposed to be like selecting
options and the m4 does the processing to make it happen.

Tom