Subject: FVWM: mouse style question

From: "Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 18:33:28 +0200

Hey you coders out there,

Just saw "Lain" (see it, if you are into "Manga") - and what did they
use for window-manager... yes, you are right *s*... fvwm2, hmm.

Anyway, I want to change the style of the mouse in the root menu
(instead of this "horizontal double left arrow" - what kind of styles
are there? I tried to use some of "the names" from one of the demo
programs, but it does'nt work. I use SuSE 6.3 with fvwm2 2.2.0 and I
tried this

  CursorStyle ROOT            rigth_ptr

, okay... that's all for now, thanks in advance, nikolaj, copenhagen,
denmark.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:46:40 +0300

>   CursorStyle ROOT            rigth_ptr

You mean right_ptr, not rig*th*_ptr, right?
This cursor context (ROOT) is only available in the betas 2.3.10+.
For 2.2 versions you can run this command in InitFunction or .xinitrc:

  xsetroot -cursor_name right_ptr

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 22:54:08 +0300

On 12 Aug 2000 19:25:34 +0200, Nikolaj G. wrote:
> Hi Mikhael,
> Uuuu, embarrassing *s* - I made a copy&paste too fast from the last
> help... no, Im joking, can't "get around this one", I think *s* -
> thanks, it works... didn't like the "right_ptr", so my next questions
> are:
> 
> 1. where can I locate the "cursor-font" file, in other words, where can
> I find the names of all the different "cursor shapes?

% locate cursorfont.h
It is usually in /usr/X11R6/include/X11 and /usr/include/X11 (symlinked).

> 2. and how do I change the "hand"-cursor over buttons (maximize,
> minimize etc.) in the title-bar of the window.

% man fvwm2
Search for CursorStyle to learn about all available cursor contexts.
The context you are asking is "SYS".

P.S. Please send your questions and problem-solved messages to the list,
others may also be interested.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Nikolaj G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:25:30 +0200

Okay, it works now, great! ... almost *s*

I locatede the cursor.h file, found the cursor-styles and the different
"context" styles for CursorStyle (man), but the ROOT option isn't there
(as I thought). I tried with

  CursorStyle DEFAULT         132

... instead I use

  + "I" Exec xsetroot -cursor_name top_left_arrow (=132)

, which is working... its fine, but if could use a CursorStyle-command
then why not, no?

And last some installation questions: after installing Fvwm2 (2.2.4)
(how can I check that that is is infact 2.2.4 - "rpm -q" (?)) the
machine gets up in Afterstep - the rc.config says "fvwm2". I made the
"make install" as root, maybe that's why... still it is as if - all the
files are used from the "personal download library" and not from the
"machine-library" (/usr.. bin) the same goes for "doc" files... the
"packages/fvwm2/ dir. is empty, maybe I should take a look on the
Makefile, no?

Okay, thanks... its going the "rig*ht*" *s* way, nikolaj, copenhagen,
denmark.

---

From: "Wolfgang Fritzsche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 18:47:56 +0200

Hi,

how to activate/deactivate mouse/keyboard to control interactive user
inputs?

thanks for answerig

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:58:53 -0400

> how to activate/deactivate mouse/keyboard to control interactive user

I don't think anyone reading your question understands what you are asking.

Maybe you want to try again?

Add more information.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Wolfgang Fritzsche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:12:55 +0200

Hi,

Ok. Will explain better.
I would like to disable the keuyboard and mouse while the system is running.
The user shouldn't been able to hit a key neither move the mouse.

Just tried to chmod 0000 /dev/mouse but doesn't work .

is there a solution with xmodmap ??

---

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:49:36 -0400

Try xscreensaver.  This way, you can re-activate the keyboard and mouse with
the password.

You can set a Key link in .fvwm2rc to allow you to lock the screen just by
hitting a single key -like this
Key Scroll_Lock A       A       Function Sleep

Where Sleep is defined as:
AddToFunc Sleep                 "I" Exec exec
/usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-command -lock

With this, anytime you hit the scroll lock key (ScrLk) your keyboard and mouse
will do nothing but bring up a dialog for a password.

If this is what you are looking for, I hope it helps

If not, maybe a little more context might help.

If you are trying to run the system without keyboard or mouse input from boot,
you probably need to disable them from the BIOS.  But I don't see why you would
want to do this.

Regards
Lou

--
Louis LeBlanc - Software Engineer - Mirror Image Internet, Inc.
http://www.mirror-image.com       [email-masked]
Phone: 781.376.1186                            Fax:781.376.1110

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:24:42 -0230 (NDT)

> The user shouldn't been able to hit a key neither move the mouse.

How are you going to let the user regain control of the keyboard and mouse
if the user cannot press anything. Are you looking for a command that
locks things up until a certain period of time has elapsed or until a
password is entered or until an application starts? Which one?

N.

---

From: "Wolfgang Fritzsche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:44:57 +0200

rehi,

there's a program running in the background wich should manage this.
To allow the user to interact after happens something. This program is ready
and working, yet.
The only missing thing is to protect keyboard/ mouse against the user.

I use C++ to programm the things but also could do it by a shellscript if
theres a posibility or any other funny trick.

greetinx
wf

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:27:39 +0930

> password is entered or until an application starts? Which one?
There ARE of course apps like xlock that displays an xscreensaver until
the correct password has been entered. But xlock requires X to be
running.

Otherwise you would have to use telnet or some other remote login to
issue whatever commands. The simplest answer would be to physically
remove the offending devices.  :)

Alex

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:09:42 -0400

> is there a solution with xmodmap ??

You might want to try XGrabPointer and XGrabKeyboard.

---

From: "Wolfgang Fritzsche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:01:23 +0200

Hi,

If it's a screensaver wich doesn't cover the Desktop or only a little area
of the screen.
I could shot it with a kill command after I would give the user access to
keyboard/mouse

but I think there are noones like this.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:23:19 -0400

> but I think there are noones like this.

Actually, xscreensaver lets you use any program you would like as the
program that writes on the screen.  Including programs that don't write
on the screen.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:00:45 +0300

> , which is working... its fine, but if could use a CursorStyle-command

Because, like I said earlier in this thread, the ROOT cursor context was
introduced in 2.3.10 and you use 2.2.4.

> "packages/fvwm2/ dir. is empty, maybe I should take a look on the

If you installed fvwm from the sources, rpm can't say something correct.
If you installed from the rpm, try: 'rpm -qi fvwm2' (or without -i).

You can run 'fvwm2 -version' to determine the fvwm version.
In betas, also 'fvwm-config -v' or 'fvwm-config -i'.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked] (Danny Dulai)
Date: 23 Aug 2000 17:28:21 -0000

>but I think there are noones like this.

http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/Projects/xl/

-- 
___________________________________________________________________________
Danny Dulai                                           Feet. Pumice. Lotion.
http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/                            [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].