Subject: FVWM: FVWM 2.2.4 vs Rational Rose (Solaris)

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 2000 10:01:41 -0400

I've been using FVWM for ages and it's always worked for me just
fine.  However, I've started using Rational Rose for Solaris.  FVWM
seems to get completely confused.

o FVWM doesn't draw any frames around the Rose window like it does for
  all other windows (except for those I explicit said not to).

o The Rose window is always on top.  Nothing I do can bring another
  window above the Rose window.

o Using FVWM's identify window module shows nothing.  No identify
  window pops up showing the window info.

o Focus sometimes seems to be lost.  (I have focus follows mouse).  I
  have to move the mouse out of the window and back in to get focus.
  Sometimes I also have to click in the window to get focus.

The annoying thing is that this all seems to work with CDE and dtwm.
I don't want to have to switch to dtwm so any hints or pointers on
where to look to get FVWM to understand this window would help me a
lot.

Thanks,

Ray

P.S.  Here is what xwininfo has to say about the Rose window.  The
Rose window looks just like a Windows 95 window with it's buttons and
stuff.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x1680108 "Rational Rose - (untitled)"

  Absolute upper-left X:  35
  Absolute upper-left Y:  83
  Relative upper-left X:  35
  Relative upper-left Y:  83
  Width: 1214
  Height: 910
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x34 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: yes
  Corners:  +35+83  -31+83  -31-31  +35-31
  -geometry 1214x910-31-31

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:17:01 -0400

> xwininfo: Window id: 0x1680108 "Rational Rose - (untitled)"
...
>   Override Redirect State: yes

This hint tells the window manager to ignore the window.
Since that hint is set, I think all the behaviors you describe are
correct.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Raymond Toy <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 2000 10:52:28 -0400

>>>>> "Dan" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> xwininfo: Window id: 0x1680108 "Rational Rose - (untitled)"
    Dan> ...
    >> Override Redirect State: yes

    Dan> This hint tells the window manager to ignore the window.
    Dan> Since that hint is set, I think all the behaviors you describe are
    Dan> correct.

Hmm, this is weird.  When I run it under dtwm, xwininfo says Override
Redirect State: no.  I wonder how rose knows how to set this?  Can
rose figure out what window manager is running?  Note that I start
dtwm and fvwm both via startx.  The only difference is that I set
USE_CDE=yes to choose dtwm instead of fvwm

Is there a way to tell FVWM to ignore this hint for a window anyway?

I don't want to use dtwm, so any hints on getting this to work with
FVWM would be most appreciated.  (I'm too lazy to switch, and I like
fvwm.) 

Thanks,

Ray

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 02:56:06 +0200

> USE_CDE=yes to choose dtwm instead of fvwm

Probably your application can know about dtwm running by USE_CDE or other
dtwm-documented methods (X Atoms?).

> Is there a way to tell FVWM to ignore this hint for a window anyway?

No, fvwm simply is not notified by X Server about such windows.
Some info in: http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9903/msg00958.html

> FVWM would be most appreciated.  (I'm too lazy to switch, and I like

You can use "BugOpts RaiseOverUnmanaged on" in the betas to improve the
situation, but the real solution is to ask the app authors to fix it.

Regards,
Mikhael.