Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.3.20 install and config files

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:01:11 +0000

Hello,

I just got done compiling and installing FVWM2 2.3.20. The module
path is /usr/X11R6/libexec/fvwm/2.3.20/ . In the past (2.2.x and before)
the FVWM had a configuration file in $HOME, either (.fvwmrc or .fvwm2rc).
The new installation does not seem to be using the file I originally had,
i.e. $HOME/.fvwm2rc.

1. Where is the FVWM2 reading the configuration file from?

2. Why does FVWM does not start from XDM but works fine from GDM?

The "fvwm2" binary is installed in /usr/X11R6/bin. My distro is Slackware 7.1.

-- 

Subba Rao
[email-masked]
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:23:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

>1. Where is the FVWM2 reading the configuration file from?

I think if you look at the man page for fvwm2 you will find that it reads
it from ~/.fvwm/ unless you set some environment variable.

>2. Why does FVWM does not start from XDM but works fine from GDM?

I really can't help you here.  At least with 2.2.4 I know that it works
from both XDM and GDM.  I haven't tried XDM lately.  

>The "fvwm2" binary is installed in /usr/X11R6/bin. My distro is Slackware 7.1.

At least with the RH6.1 setp gdm calls the same script as xdm on start-up,
so I can't see why it wouldn't behave the same for me.  I don't know
Slackware...

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:34:33 +0300

> 1. Where is the FVWM2 reading the configuration file from?

The current betas are 2.2 compatible, so .fvwm2rc or system.fvwm2rc are
searched in the same places, but also in ~/.fvwm. If you still feel your
$HOME/.fvwm2rc is not read, supply more info (any error messages?).

Regards,
Mikhael.