Subject: FVWM: _Building_ fvwmrc from within startup-file, not in xinitrc

From: Matthias Intemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:15:27 +0200

Hi!

There's a little problem I can't solve myself.

When starting my FVWM-session (fvwm2), I'm generating my fvwmrc. As I
want to use the same configuration-files on different architectures
(Linux and Solaris mixed on Suns, PCs and IBM PowerPCs), I need to
generate them while starting my X. The graphics are completely mixed up,
so there's no way of guessing geometry or depth by CPU or OS. Builing a
list of all computers is no way of solving my problem, as there are too
many and new ones are often being baught.

I need # of bitplanes, height, width, OS, CPU and name of the system.
>From those, I build my rc. Offcourse, it's a nice thing on a fast
machine. But, as You may guess, on rather slow machines or lot's of
traffic on the nfs-server, FVWM is up before the rc has been finished.
Well, all modules, like FvwmM4, are being spawned.

Writing a xinitrc would include writing X-Tools for reading the display.
I don't want that, because that would mean five different binaries. And
will it be easy? I don't know any X.

What I'm doing at this time:

my .fvwmrc starts FvwmM4 and reads the file, I generate.

Generating a file means doing some nasty M4-things and reading my
definition-files. Out comes the main rc for this session.

This way, there's no problem when restarting. BTW: That's what I need to
do to read the new rc, except I logged in on the same architecture
before.

So. Can any cool reader help me? I know, it is not trivial. But there
has to be a way to solve it, has it?

Thanks in advance! Even if it's just a "No ***** way, man!"

--
 Matthias Intemann
  [email-masked]
University of Bremen
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 03:20:37 +0200

> do to read the new rc, except I logged in on the same architecture

Here are 3 ways to solve synchronization problems.

If you need an external script (not FvwmM4) to generate fvwmrc, just run
it (without ampersand) before fvwm. Utilities like `uname` and `xwininfo
-root` together with `sed` should provide the needed constants.

If you want your full configuration to be processed by FvwmM4, run
fvwm as: fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc.m4"

In the 2.3 versions you can call FvwmM4 to process the variable parts
synchronously: ModuleSynchronous FvwmM4 -lock menus.m4

I hope this helps, sorry if I don't understand your problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.