Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 and GNOME

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:35:25 +0000

I have been using FVWM and FVWM2 for a very long time.

Is FVWM2 a GNOME compliant window manager?
Can GNOME applications and applets be used with the FVWM2 window manager?

I am trying to avoid switching to a different window manager.

Any information appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-- 

Subba Rao
[email-masked]
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:41:20 -0400

> Any information appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The latest betas are Gnome compliant.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:41:48 +0000

> The latest betas are Gnome compliant.

Thanks for replying. I am trying to configure FVWM2 with GTK and GNOME with the following
configure options,

(0)root@myhost:~/src/fvwm-2.3.20 => ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 --exec-prefix=/usr/X11R6
--with-xpm-library=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-xpm-includes=/usr/include/X11 --enable-dmalloc
--enable-debug-msgs --with-x --with-gtk-prefix=/usr --with-gtk-exec-prefix=/usr --with-gnome=/usr/bin
--with-gnome-libs=/usr/lib --with-gnome-includes=/usr/include

At the end of the configure script, I get the following output,

  FVWM Version:                      2.3.20

  Have ReadLine support?             yes
  Have RPlay support?                no
  Have Stroke support?               no
  Have XPM support?                  yes
  Have GTK support?                  yes
  Have GNOME Window Manager support? no
  Have Session Management support?   yes

Why is GNOME Window Manager support being set to "no"?
Do the --with-gnome* options require a path? The configure script "--help" option does not
seem to indicate that requirement. If so, then how do I determine the GNOME libs path and
includes path?

Thank you in advance for any help.

-- 

Subba Rao
[email-masked]

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:57:07 +0200

> Why is GNOME Window Manager support being set to "no"?

--enable-gnome

> Do the --with-gnome* options require a path?

--with-gnome=/somewhere  is to look for gnome includes and libs, used in
FvwmGtk (if available) I think...

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:38:04 +0000

> FvwmGtk (if available) I think...

Thanks for the help. I missed the --enable-gnome option. It works fine now.

-- 

Subba Rao
[email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:34:06 +0300

> Why is GNOME Window Manager support being set to "no"?

In the pre-2.3.21 (the current cvs) the default here is "yes", no need
to specify --enable-gnome.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

On 18 August 2000, Dan Espen wrote:

: The latest betas are Gnome compliant.

What will this let us do?  Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't
experimented with other window managers, KDE, GNOME, or that sort of
thing, except very briefly.  

Bill
-- 
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/ : Caveat lector.

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:57:51 -0230 (NDT)

Hello. I recently upgraded to Red Hat 6.2 which comes with the gnome.
I take the opportunity to ask the following question:

What are the benefits of enabling gnome support in fvwm2 from the
standpoint of an fvwm2 user? What does gnome do for fvwm2?

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:13:43 +0300

> standpoint of an fvwm2 user? What does gnome do for fvwm2?

We are speaking about the GNOME Window Manager hints support in fvwm.
Like with any other optional support, there are only benefits if you plan
to use GNOME specific applications or environment.

Example 1: If you run gnome panel inside fvwm without GNOME support, you
can't fully use GNOME pager applets (if at all); with such support you can
see right pages/desks and move windows between them inside GNOME pagers.
You can also use Tasklist applet and manage your windows using it.

Example 2: If you run gmc and bind GnomeButton (see the man page), you can
pass root clicks to a gnome application (i.e. to gmc in this case).

Example 3: You can run fvwm inside gnome-session, i.e. define fvwm to be
a GNOME Window Manager. This feature is more about a session management
support rather than the GNOME hints support.

If you really wonder what GNOME WM hints are, contact GNOME documentation.

Regards,
Mikhael.