Subject: Re: FVWM: window background color

From: robert_wilhelm_land <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:51:12 +0200

Tenebrae wrote:

> Hmmm...
> I always launch vncserver from an Eterm (after I've started X).
> My vncserver xstartup file reads like this:
>
> [tenebrae@pointy .vnc]$ cat xstartup
> #!/bin/sh
>
> xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -bg black -fg LightGrey -ls -title
> "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" & fvwm2

The endless loop vaneshed after launching X11 and then starting
vncserver (your suggestion), I'm woundering why?
There's one difference between your vnc startup script and mine - I've
got a "&" as the terminating character after fvwm2, therefor:
"$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" & fvwm2 &

I'm not quite happy having to launch X11 to use the vncserver because my
intention is to use the server without a monitor and launching X11 for
nothing would take some system resources which I would rather like to
use for applications.
But -oops - I just realized I can't start any x-apps (netscape, xemacs)
without starting x11 ( I thought vnc uses x11 libs and provides these
libs to all other apps because I have a fvwm2 desktop with just starting
vncserver from a terminal and no x11 running currently on the entire
linux server)
Actually this is the big difference:
Removing the terminating "&"  in ""$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" & fvwm2 &"
causes vncserver to launch without running the system into a endless
loop which I mentioned in the previous message. 

> I've never had a problem with it, except trying to figure out how to get
> my starting xterm to have reverse video enabled!  I finally gave up and
> just set the background and foreground colours.
> I also dunno what the xrdb $HOME/.Xresources line is for (I can't find one
> anywhere).  Oh well...at least it works.
>                                 -Tenebrae.

What exactly is " reverse video" ?
Additionally - how do I kill a vncserver ? The html help provides
"vncserver -kill :<serverinstancenumber>"
If I do that - the appropiate server instance does not die - instead a
new server instance is created!

Robert

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tenebrae <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

> nothing would take some system resources which I would rather like to

I also found out the hard way that turning off my monitor before I left
kinda made it impossible to use vncserver...heh.  Oops.

> What exactly is " reverse video" ?

Okay, when vncserver starts, it politely launches an xterm for me (my
usual Eterms do NOT work well under vnc).  It uses my cursor preference of
purple, but it makes the background off-white and the text black.  I'd
rather have the background black and the text off-white.  Or light
grey.  When I'm sitting at my computer, I can hit ctrl-middlemousebutton
and it will pop up a list of VT options (one of which is reverse
video).  Selecting this will conveniently switch the foreground and the
background colours.  I wanted to find a way to enable it by default when
an xterm is launched (I finally did - yay - the XTerm statement was
case-sensitive...).

> new server instance is created!

That's odd.  When I launch vncserver (telnet into server from work, type
in vncserver &), it usually creates server instance 1.  To kill it, I
telnet back into the server and type in "vncserver -kill :1" and that
works for me...if it doesn't work from you try going into your ~/.vnc and
find the PIDs of the other sessions, kill them manually, and remove all
associated files.  There's another file off in another directory that I
can't remember that it creates...mind like a steel sieve.

(I also hate it when I postpone an e-mail message and then forget to
resume it...heh)
								-Tenebrae.