Subject: FVWM: On the process hosted in its window

From: Paolo Pumilia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:52:13 +0200

Hi all,
I am using fvwm 2.3.20
Is it possible to pass to fvwm the command line used to start the
process hosted in each window?
I would like to bind a window button to different actions, depending on the
process being displayed
E.g.  if the the file fname has been opened by the command 'gvim fname'
      one of the window buttons on the title bar will open my tricks&tips
      notes about gvim and another one will open my notes about the
      contents of fname.

How can i do?

thank you for your help

Pol
-- 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 02:26:45 +0200

> process hosted in each window?

No, this is not possible with fvwm as of now.

>       notes about gvim and another one will open my notes about the

This can be done using a window name.
Fortunately for you, gvim sets its name to "VIM - fname"

So, this should do the work (Ctrl-Mouse3 on the titlebar button 1 here):

  Mouse 3 1 C MyGvimExclusiveAction

  AddToFunc MyGvimExclusiveAction
  + WindowId $w ("VIM - fname.txt") Exec exec open-my-notes-about fname.txt
or:
  + WindowId $w ("VIM - *") Exec exec open-my-notes-about "$n"

where open-my-notes-about is your shell script, which gets the file name
or the gvim title (it should parse it, s/^VIM - //, to get the file name).

I hope, you get an idea.

If you want to have different number of titlebar buttons, you should use
FvwmEvent (see archives how) to catch VIM window and bind more buttons.

Regards,
Mikhael.