Subject: FVWM: problems with 'Resize' command

From: Joseph Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:47:35 +0100 (IST)

Hello,

   I'm running FVWM-2.3.21 under RedHat Linux 6.0.

   I have some slight problems with the 'Resize' command.

   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   I'm attempting to resize a terminal window (xterm or rxvt)
   by a single character, by moving its bottom right corner.

   The two commands:

      Resize bottomright w+1c keep

      Resize bottomright keep w-1c

   both work correctly, making the window one character wider
   and one character shallower, respectively.

   However, the command:

      Resize bottomright w-1c keep

   makes the window *two* characters narrower, rather than just one.
   Furthermore, the command:

      Resize bottomright keep w+1c

   has no effect on the window, instead of making it one character deeper.

   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Some other problems arise when attempting to resize windows created by
   "pixel-oriented" programs such as xdvi, gv, or ee (Electric Eyes).

   In these cases:

      Resize bottomright w+1c keep  makes the window 10 pixels wider
      Resize bottomright w-1c keep  makes the window 11 pixels narrower
      Resize bottomright keep w+1c  makes the window  7 pixels deeper
      Resize bottomright keep w-1c  makes the window  8 pixels shallower

   From the FVWM documentation, I would have expected that here, '1c'
   should mean 1 pixel.  Or at any rate, that all four resize commands
   should change the window size by the same amount in each case.

   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   I wonder if my understanding of what's supposed to happen is incorrect,
   or if there's a bug in the code for resizing?

   I would be grateful if one of the developers could take a look at this.

Thanks! -- Joseph

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joseph Manning / Computer Science / University College Cork / [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:10:25 +0300

>    I have some slight problems with the 'Resize' command.

[...]

>    should mean 1 pixel.

This is not correct. :)
If you read the man page, it says that bottomright accepts the same x & y
parameters as Move does, and Move does not support 'c' suffix, maybe it
will support later, but not now. So, w+1c is just w+1; try w+1p.

>    Or at any rate, that all four resize commands

This is half way incorrect too. :)
X and Y increments are independent, for example 'Resize 1c 1c' for xterm
with 7x14 font is equivalent to 'Resize 7p 14p'. And the actual X and Y
values in 'Resize 1 1' or 'Move 1 1' are usually in 4/3 or 5/4 proportion.

But you are right that the following two commands do not restore the
original positions (due to float/int rounding errors, may be fixed):

  Move w+1 w+1
  Move w-1 w-1

Thank you for your report.

Regards,
Mikhael.