Subject: FVWM: Mouse menu problems

From: steve rieger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:47:18 -0500

Hello
I have VFWM running on Sun os, and sometimes i lose the mouse menu, what
i mean is that everything will be working fine, and suddenly for no
apparent reason (as far as i can tell) the mouse menu does no longer
come up when i depress the mouse.

Have any of you ever run across this problem and does anybody know how
to fix this..

thanking you in advance
Steve Rieger

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:06:31 -0400 (EDT)

This sounds like the classic NumLock or CapsLock button problem.  Are
either of these turned on?

Tom

---

From: steve rieger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:16:54 -0500

thank you,
the num lock was on

can you please explain the relationship between those

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:38:16 -0400 (EDT)

I'm sorry I don't remember the exact details.  It is described in the FAQ
as well as the man pages.  I also think that there is a command to disable
them. (though it may only be in the betas)  Essentially I think that it is
modifying the signal as it should and fvwm is recognizing them as
different.

Tom

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:25:18 +0300

> Have any of you ever run across this problem and does anybody know how

Replace the following or similar
  Mouse 1 R N Menu MenuFvwmRoot
with
  Mouse 1 R A Menu MenuFvwmRoot

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:05:46 +0100 (BST)

> can you please explain the relationship between those

Num lock, like shift, ctrl and meta [alt] is generally treated as a
modifier by X. There are 3 things that influence what occurs when you 
get a keypress/mouse click:

Context  [where am I: window, titlebar, root-window, etc]
Modifier [shift, alt, ctrl, meta, num lock]
Key      [The actual key our mouse button pressed]

The modifier control has machanisms to say 

"no modifiers" => N
"any modifier" => A
"Shift+Ctrl"   => SC [I think]
 
or you can specify the combination of modifers, but it's hard to exclude a
specific modifier: you just have to specify the same reponse for all
possible sets of modifers you want to apply. I think the lates betas can
ignore specific modifiers, but I think this is an across the board thing,
not a per action thing. You can also use xmodmap to attach modifiers to
keys:

The following, placed in a file  and read with xmodmap -file <file>

keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R

clear Mod4
add Mod4 = Super_L
add Mod4 = Super_R

makes the melted-window keys into 'Super' keys, and then maps the Super
keyboard modifer onto 'Mod4': I can then use 

Key KP_Left     A       4       Scroll -100 +0
 
in my .fvwm2rc [for example] to make [Melted Window] + [Keypad Left] move
me one page to the left in X.

Num lock is usually mapped to Mod2, so Clear Mod2 would probably solve
your numlock proplem.

-- 
Q: Why did the tachyon cross the road? 
A: Because it was on the other side.