Subject: FVWM: DISPLAY variable changing after running fvwm

From: John Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:45:40 -0500

Hey.
I have $DISPLAY exported to "computer_name:0.0" before I run fvwm.
When I bring up an xterm inside fvwm, my DISPLAY variable has changed
to just ":0.0", when it should be "computer_name:0.0"... Why does fvwm
strip off the name of the computer in this variable ???

I have two monitors and all local x-applications are displayed
correctly...
My problem is running remote x-applications... The display never makes
it back because $DISPLAY is set to ":0.0" and not fully qualified to
"computer_name:0.0".... you see... And I don't want to export $DISPLAY
every time I start a new xterm...

I tried using the fvwm command "SetEnv DISPLAY computer_name:0.0"
and that sets $DISPLAY to "computer_name:0.0", but then all the
applications
show on :0.0 and never :0.1... doh, and double doh...

Has anyone else encountered this... I would like it if fvwm didn't
manipulate
the DISPLAY variable, or if there was a way to tell it not to ???

jgiles
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:54:17 +0300

> strip off the name of the computer in this variable ???

fvwm itself does not strip computer_name from DISPLAY variable. What it
does is reseting DISPLAY variable to whatever display-string X server
returns. So it is X that stripts. It is possible to change fvwm not to
reset DISPLAY if already set, but probably the current behaviour is ok.

I see several ways to solve your problem. Hope one of them helps.

1) Use $HOSTDISPLAY, it should be fully qualified, i.e. computer_name:0.0.
2) Add a line: PipeRead `echo SetEnv DISPLAY computer_name$DISPLAY`
2.1) in 2.3 this line may be: SetEnv DISPLAY computer_name$[DISPLAY]
2.2) or: SetEnv DISPLAY $[HOSTDISPLAY]
3) Export DISPLAY variable with a computer_name including a dot.

Regards,
Mikhael.