Subject: FVWM: Trouble running Fvwm in OpenWindows!

From: Louis LeBlanc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:25:19 -0400

Hey, all.  I have been trying to install FVWM on a Solaris 2.6 maching
running OpenWindows.  So far I am having  no luck.

I set up my ~/.xinitrc as follows:

#!/bin/sh
stty erase
DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISLPAY
xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults
exec fvwm2

About as basic as it gets.
The .fvwm2rc file is the sample with the icon path and pixmap path
fixed.  Nothing more.

When the login screen comes up, I select OpenWindows from the Options
dropdown, and the screen comes up black, flashes white, and bonks back
to the login screen.  Then I have to log in to CDE to fix it back.  With
this .xinitrc, I do have twm running, but I want virtual desktops!

I compiled fvwm with xpm support ( I had to build and install the xpm
libs myself from xpm-3.4k-solaris.tgz )

I am not sure how to test the xpm libs, but that is the only thing I can
imagine would cause the problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Lou

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:34:37 -0400

> I set up my ~/.xinitrc as follows:

Try this:

exec fvwm2 2>/tmp/fvwm.out

The fvwm.out file might contain an error message.

> libs myself from xpm-3.4k-solaris.tgz )

If you didn't install this in /usr/lib you might  have to add the "-R"
option   during the  compile.   See  the   INSTALL.fvwm file for  more
information.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:57:42 +0100

> exec fvwm2 2>/tmp/fvwm.out

  Also try a 'failsafe' login (xterm, no WM), and run fvwm2 from the
command line there to see if there's a fundamental problem.

  Another option is to copy the 'openwin' script, change the olwm ref. to
'fvwm2' in it, then run that after selecting 'command-line login (you may
need to <Ctrl-C> to stop that automatically running openwin or something).
You'll probably need to 'script errorfile' first; this option is a last
resort!

> > libs myself from xpm-3.4k-solaris.tgz )

  You may well be hitting my favourite problem, which Dan has already
pointed out (not using -R fir libXpm).

  I imagine from what you've said that almost certainly you're not finding
libXpm.so at startup.

  See what 'ldd fvwm2' gives you. Then see if you've not LD_LIBRARY_PATH
set normally, and see if ldd 'loses' anything.

  There's an option for the DT login (checks ... DTSOURCEPROFILE in
~/.dtprofile) that makes DT run your .login/whatever before [re]starting
X. If you need LD_LIBRARY_PATH/PATH/etc. set up for login, put 'em in
there and set that variable.

  But it *is* cleaner to always try compiling stuff (like fvwm) with no
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |    If this .signature looks pants,
    mailto:[email-masked]  |     then just stop using Outlook!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].