Subject: FVWM: fvwm installation;

From: Farhad Jalilvand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:44:40 -0700

Hi there,

I have downloaded the fvwm installation tar file ( fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz) to my
home directory but I am unable to uncompress the file. Here is what I get on
unix prompt:

fjalilva@olive:/home/fjalilva:( 31 )%zcat fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz
fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz.Z: No such file or directory

What utility do I use to uncompress the downloaded file?

Thanks,
Farhad Jalilvand
Sharewave.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:24:25 -0400 (EDT)

$gunzip fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz
$tar -xf fvwm-2.2.2.tar

or if you use gnu-tar then

$tar xzf fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz

Tom

Ps. Don't you think you should get fvwm-2.2.4 instead?

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:48:53 -0400

%% Farhad Jalilvand <[email-masked]> writes:

  fj> I have downloaded the fvwm installation tar file (
  fj> fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz) to my home directory but I am unable to
  fj> uncompress the file. Here is what I get on unix prompt:

  fj> fjalilva@olive:/home/fjalilva:( 31 )%zcat fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz
  fj> fvwm-2.2.2.tar.gz.Z: No such file or directory

  fj> What utility do I use to uncompress the downloaded file?

Some browsers "helpfully" decompress the file for you when they download
it.  Of course they don't change the name when they do this *sigh*.

That file is likely already uncompressed.  Rename it to just
fvwm-2.2.2.tar, then extract it with tar.

As someone else mentioned, the latest stable version of FVWM is 2.2.4,
available from http://www.fvwm.org/

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:07:46 -0700

use gunzip to uncompress gz files.

  tar --gunzip -xvf file.tar.gz often works as well (with gnu tar at
least)

  also: use file file.tar.gz to figure out what file you have.

	erik