Subject: FVWM: FvwmEvent: killing netscape windows (fwd)

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:37:38 -0230 (NDT)

Thanks!

BTW, is there a way that I can add a resource with xrdb by
specifying a resource or a list of resources on the command
line rather than a file?

Thanks,

Neil

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 [email-masked] wrote:

>   +> Netscape*selectBackground:  #FFFF66
> 
>   +> Add that with xrdb, restart netscape and you're done. There's a whole
>   +> lot of other settings one can mess with... :->
> 
> Best practice is probably to put it into your .Xdefaults or .Xresources. This 
> file is generally loaded with 'xrdb -merge <FILE>' when X (or your session) 
> starts, but you can do that from the commandline just as well.
> 
> You should probably leave Netscape.ad alone - you'll never change more than a 
> few of the properties, and it's better to have these collected with other 
> private changes in your .Xdefaults file.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:20:49 +0100

Neil Zanella wrote:
> > Best practice is probably to put it into your .Xdefaults or
> > .Xresources. This file is generally loaded with 'xrdb -merge <FILE>'
> > when X (or your session) starts, but you can do that from the
> > commandline just as well.
> >.
> > You should probably leave Netscape.ad alone - you'll never change more
> > than a few of the properties, and it's better to have these collected
> > with other private changes in your .Xdefaults file.

  I disagree; IIUC, anything set up globally (as in .Xdefaults using xrdb)
is always passed in full to every application that starts. It seems a bit
of a waste of time passing every app.'s defaults to a new app. that only
cares about it's own.

  There seems to be a few ways of doing it on an app. by app. basis, but
the one that seems to work best (and is supported by most apps., inc.
xterm & netscape) is to setenv XAPPLRESDIR to $HOME/usr/lib/app-defaults
or some such, it being a directory, and put in there defaults files for
each application (the files, I think, must have the correct resource class
name). The contents of my app-defaults, for example, are:

/home/nabird/usr/lib/app-defaults:
Bclock        Clock         Dtcm          Emacs         Emacs.old 
Netscape      Olwm          Raplayer      Rxvt          Teamwork 
Vncviewer     WIO           XClock        XDbx          XKeyCaps 
XScreenSaver  XTerm         XTicker       Xmag          

  You only need include those things you want to change (e.g., for
Netscape). And you need to set up XAPPLRESDIR before WM startup, otherwise
it won't be there for app.s started from the WM.

  Of course, if you find an app. that doesn't play ball, and look for it's
defaults there, you'll have to put the values into .Xdefaults. Mine only
contains 12 lines, with default colours, locale, etc.

  (warning: when using this method, *technically* you may omit preceeding
application-class strings (e.g., you can do '*color:' safely, instead of
having to do 'XTicker*color'), but xterm has it's own defaults parser
which ignores any lines not beginning with the correct classname (usually
XTerm/xterm)).

> specifying a resource or a list of resources on the command

  echo 'App*Resource: value' | xrdb -merge

  Should work; you may want to set up an alias for that.

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |    If this .signature looks pants,
    mailto:[email-masked]  |     then just stop using Outlook!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].