Subject: FVWM: restart with different config

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:22:02 -0700

I am using fvwm 2.2.4 and would like to restart with different
configuration file, but the manual page says:

... This command should not have a  trailing  ampersand  or any 
command  line arguments...

  how can I restart with different configuration?

  what I am trying to accomplish: I have two setups - complex that I use
over LAN and really lean one (no bevels, no patterns etc.) to use over
modem line. I am using vnc, so I would like to be able to connect from
home and restart fvwm with lean config or connect from work and restart
fvwm with fancy config (the X server and all programs are running all
the time, it's the vnc connect/disconnect I am talking about).

  TIA

	erik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:18:24 +0300

>   how can I restart with different configuration?

If you use 2.2 or previous versions, you should create a shell script,
say, fvwm-with-rcN and then "Restart fvwm-with-my-rc2". The script has
one line:

	exec fvwm2 -f rcN

In 2.3 versions you can simply execute "Restart fvwm2 -f rcN".
In the latest versions, rcN is searched in $HOME/.fvwm instead of $HOME.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:40:33 -0700

> say, fvwm-with-rcN and then "Restart fvwm-with-my-rc2". The script has

  thanks, that's what I was afraid of:-) it's working fine though...

> In the latest versions, rcN is searched in $HOME/.fvwm instead of $HOME.

  "it's in 2.3" seems to be prevalent response here lately, I hope that
means 2.4 is close... I'm patient, I'm patient! :-)

	erik