Subject: FVWM: Java freezes fvwm shortcuts

From: Sven Esbjerg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:09:50 +0200

I'm haveing some problems with fvwm2. When I use netscape and I browse through
pages that uses java fvwm sort of freezes. All key-bindings and mouse-bindings
stop working. Not even a restart will help - only to kill X. 

Has anyone experienced anything like it? Does anyone have a clue on how to
debug such a thing - do I start with fvwm2 or X?

I'm using Netscape 4.73 with 128bit encryption, XFree86-3.3.6 and fvwm 2.2.4.
It happens while running either Linux or FreeBSD.

Any help is much appreciated
Sven
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory A. Shimansky)
Date: 19 Jun 2000 15:28:53 +0400

>>>>> "SE" == Sven Esbjerg <[email-masked]> writes:

SE> I'm haveing some problems with fvwm2. When I use netscape and I browse through
SE> pages that uses java fvwm sort of freezes. All key-bindings and mouse-bindings
SE> stop working. Not even a restart will help - only to kill X. 

I have the same problem. Recently a found a cool java game
(http://www.plutoniumsoftware.com/ -> Burning metal). When I launch it,
both through Netscape or appletviewer, it opens a full screen window and if
an error is encountered and the game is stopped I have no way to close this
window. No keys, no mouse clicks work. Nothing at all. This window seems to
be as ignorant to anything as an xlock window. Have to telnet from another
compute and kill java process.

SE> Has anyone experienced anything like it? Does anyone have a clue on how to
SE> debug such a thing - do I start with fvwm2 or X?

Would like to hear the answer too.

SE> I'm using Netscape 4.73 with 128bit encryption, XFree86-3.3.6 and fvwm 2.2.4.
SE> It happens while running either Linux or FreeBSD.

I am using:

Netscape 4.73,
java version "1.2" Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2_01, native threads, sunwjit),
SUN Openwindows 3.6.1.0,
[FVWM][main]:  Fvwm Version 2.3.17 compiled on May 15 2000 at 16:43:09
[FVWM][main]:  with support for:  ReadLine RPlay Stroke XPM IMLIB Session

SE> Any help is much appreciated

Yeah, me too please! ;-)

--
Gregory.

P.S. Does anyone know how do I tell TaskBar to stay on top of all windows
that are places in the bottom of the screen? If I do so I can probably use
it to kill the annoying window that takes the whole screen.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:16:36 -0400 (EDT)

This is probably a bad question to ask, but did any of the control keys
get turned on like caps-lock or num-lock.  I've seen things like this
before with netscape (my system is almost identical to yours) but I
thought it a fluke...

Tom

---

From: Sven Esbjerg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:44:25 +0200

> before with netscape (my system is almost identical to yours) but I

Hmmm... yes it sounds like a fluke but - I thought I should give it a try
since I usually use my Numeric Keypad while connected to homebanking. This
requires 'Num Lock' which I had not connected with the strange fvwm behaviour. 

I connected to the bank (without using the Numeric Keypad this time) and behold
fvwm still works. Now before I rush out and talk to one of the developers I
would really like if someone else could reproduce this beahviour.

All I asking is for someone (preferably several people) to enable java in your
Netscape browser, go to a site with java, hit Num Lock while you're there and
sees if your mouse- and key-bindings freeze.

As mentioned before, I use Linux/FreeBSD, Netscape Communicator 4.73 128bit
, Xfree86-3.3.6 and fvwm-2.2.4.

Please post your results to the mailinglist.

/Sven

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:05:04 -0700

the key/mouse-bindings are defined for given modifiers. numlock is one
of the modifiers (just like alt, shift or ctrl are), so pressing crtl-a
and ctrl-a-with-numlock-enabled are two different key-bindings.

  I have most of the mouse/key-bindigs twice, with and without numlock.

	erik

---

From: Sven Esbjerg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:00:35 +0200

>   I have most of the mouse/key-bindigs twice, with and without numlock.

Thanx for the info. I just found an old message with more or less the same
information.

Anyway - thanx.

/Sven

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 19 Jun 2000 17:15:17 -0400

%% Sven Esbjerg <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> before with netscape (my system is almost identical to yours) but I

  se> Hmmm... yes it sounds like a fluke but - I thought I should give
  se> it a try since I usually use my Numeric Keypad while connected to
  se> homebanking. This requires 'Num Lock' which I had not connected
  se> with the strange fvwm behaviour.

  se> I connected to the bank (without using the Numeric Keypad this
  se> time) and behold fvwm still works. Now before I rush out and talk
  se> to one of the developers I would really like if someone else could
  se> reproduce this beahviour.

  se> All I asking is for someone (preferably several people) to enable
  se> java in your Netscape browser, go to a site with java, hit Num
  se> Lock while you're there and sees if your mouse- and key-bindings
  se> freeze.

You're misunderstanding what's happening.  Your mouse and key bindings
aren't freezing when NUMLOCK is pressed.  It's just that when a modifier
like NUMLOCK, CTRL, etc. is pressed, the keysequences transmitted to the
client aren't the same as they were before.  If you press "p" and
"CTRL-p", the client gets different symbols.  Ditto for "F1" and
"NUMLOCK-F1".  Things bound to F1 won't be activated when you type
NUMLOCK-F1, just like they won't be activated when you type SHIFT-F1, etc.

There is no "freezing" going on, it's just that the key and mouse
strokes you're using when NUMLOCK is set aren't bound to any commands.

See the FVWM FAQ, question 5.5.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:24:15 -0400

> Please post your results to the mailinglist.

I went there.   The  game covered my  screen and   none of  my  global
keybindings  worked.  I don't  believe "NumLock" or  "CapsLock" is the
issue.  I did this with Solaris 8 on an Ultra 5.

I haven't had time to dig much deeper.  Maybe  I'll get a chance again
tomorrow.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:22:06 -0400

> compute and kill java process.

I went back to the given URL and tried a few things.

First my fvwm keybindings do work, its just a little hard to tell that
they are working.

The first thing I tried was "Control arrow" which I have bound like this:

Key Left	A	C	Scroll -100 0
Key Right	A	C	Scroll +100 +0
Key Up		A	C	Scroll +0   -100
Key Down	A	C	Scroll +0   +100

I didn't think they were working since the game created window doesn't
even seem to flicker.  But then I noticed that the pointer was changing
shape at the screen edges as it entered fvwm's panframes.  Using the
panframes as a guide, I was able to tell that the "Control arrow" keys
were working.

I have a key binding for FvwmIdent.  Normally if I use it over a window,
I get an FvwmIdent window.  Over this Java window, I get a crosshair.
When I clicked on the Java window, I didn't see anything happen.

Later after killing Netscape, I found the FvwmIdent windows.  They picked
up the application underneath.

With about 5 FvwmIdents running, many attempts to delete and destroy
Netscape thru fvwm, I managed to crash fvwm:

#0  0x7a4b4 in remove_window_from_stack_ring (t=0x1104a0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/stack.c:46
46        t->stack_prev->stack_next = t->stack_next;
(gdb) where
#0  0x7a4b4 in remove_window_from_stack_ring (t=0x1104a0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/stack.c:46
#1  0x56320 in destroy_window (tmp_win=0x1104a0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/add_window.c:1900
#2  0x59114 in CaptureOneWindow (fw=0x1104a0, window=25167074)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/fvwm.c:858
#3  0x594c8 in CaptureAllWindows () at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/fvwm.c:934
#4  0x41c78 in do_recapture (eventp=0xb2d2c, w=42, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0x114181 "", Module=0xffbebdbc, fSingle=0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/builtins.c:2359
#5  0x41d38 in Recapture (eventp=0xb2d2c, w=42, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0x114181 "", Module=0xffbebdbc)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/builtins.c:2376
#6  0x6d5f8 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0xcc7d8 "Recapture", tmp_win=0x0, 
    eventp=0xb2d2c, context=8, Module=-2, expand_cmd=EXPAND_COMMAND, 
    args=0xffbebe58) at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/functions.c:997
#7  0x6e91c in execute_complex_function (eventp=0xb2d2c, w=0, tmp_win=0x0, 
    context=8, action=0x1141c0 "ConfigWinList", Module=0xffbebfec, 
    desperate=0xffbebf28) at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/functions.c:1484
#8  0x6d664 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0x114208 "ConfigWinList", tmp_win=0x0, 
    eventp=0xb2d2c, context=8, Module=-1, expand_cmd=EXPAND_COMMAND, args=0x0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/functions.c:1014
#9  0x6d7d0 in ExecuteFunctionSaveTmpWin (Action=0x114208 "ConfigWinList", 
    tmp_win=0x0, eventp=0xb2d2c, context=8, Module=-1, 
    expand_cmd=EXPAND_COMMAND, args=0x0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/functions.c:1052
#10 0x1e9c8 in do_menu (pmp=0xffbec1b0, pmret=0xffbec1a0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/menus.c:832
#11 0x2c0bc in menu_func (eventp=0xb2d2c, w=42, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0x0, Module=0xffbec3cc, fStaysUp=0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/menus.c:5058
#12 0x2c14c in popup_func (eventp=0xb2d2c, w=42, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0x1042ce "Window-Ops", Module=0xffbec3cc)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/menus.c:5068
#13 0x6d5f8 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0xdc1d0 "Popup Window-Ops", 
    tmp_win=0x0, eventp=0xb2d2c, context=8, Module=-1, 
    expand_cmd=EXPAND_COMMAND, args=0x0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/functions.c:997
#14 0x4b7c0 in HandleKeyPress () at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/events.c:275
#15 0x50eac in DispatchEvent (preserve_Tmp_win=0)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/events.c:2330
#16 0x50f94 in HandleEvents () at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/events.c:2370
#17 0x58d00 in main (argc=1, argv=0xffbec9bc)
    at ../../version-2_3_20/fvwm/fvwm.c:733
(gdb) print t
$1 = (FvwmWindow *) 0x1104a0
(gdb) print *t
$2 = {next = 0x69, prev = 0x71, stack_next = 0x37, stack_prev = 0x5d, w = 112, 
  old_bw = 85, frame = 78, decor_w = 65, Parent = 86, title_w = 110, sides = {
    45, 0, 105, 772}, corners = {1115464, 18, 146147, 0}, 
  nr_left_buttons = 743200, nr_right_buttons = 42, button_w = {25167255, 0, 
    541942126, 975206519, 1115344, 1718550528, 40, 0, 4294967295, 2048}, 
  decor = 0x9, icon_w = 3728080374, icon_pixmap_w = 37748788, 
  wShaped = 25166129, boundary_width = 1068056, corner_width = 19809, 
  visual_corner_width = 26988, title_g = {x = 1115344, y = 0, width = 40, 
    height = 27960}, icon_g = {x = 105, y = 4096, width = 1115576, 
    height = 17}, icon_xl_loc = 146151, icon_t_width = 0, 
  icon_p_width = 743200, icon_p_height = 42, iconPixmap = 25166129, 
  iconDepth = 1024, icon_maskPixmap = 128, 
  name = 0xde3510ec <Address 0xde3510ec out of bounds>, 
...

I did "xwininfo -all -root".  Nothing interesting as far as I can tell:

     0x10133f4 (has no name): ()  1280x1024+0+0  +0+0
        1 child:
        0x10133f5 (has no name): ()  1280x1024+0+0  +0+0
           1 child:
           0x10133f6 (has no name): ()  1280x1024+0+0  +0+0
              2 children:
              0x10133f8 (has no name): ()  16x14+1260+4  +1260+4
              0x10133fe (has no name): ()  1280x1024+0+0  +0+0
                 1 child:
                 0x2000def (has no name): ()  1x1+462+604  +462+604

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 01:35:16 +0200

> Thanx for the info. I just found an old message with more or less the same

This is the relevant section of our FAQ (and this one is surely
the most frequently asked question).  The IgnoreModifiers
command is new in the 2.3.x betas, but the part about xmodmap
works in 2.2.4 too:

----------------------- snip --------------------------
5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers. You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings. With XFree86 the right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key Mouse commands
   in you configuration file and the number of modifiers you want to
   ignore. If you do not have a lightning fast machine ore very few
   bindings you should not ignore more than two modifiers. E.g. do
   not ignore scroll-lock if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server. The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard map.
   Pressing these keys has no effect then. To re-add them try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod2 = Num_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod5 = Scroll_Lock"

   Please refer to the man page of the xmodmap command for further
   details.
----------------------- snip --------------------------

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].