Subject: FVWM: Running under CDE

From: Paul_A <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:15:10 -0400

I've dabbled with fvwm 2.2.3 in place of dtwm on my Sun workstation, but
have gone back to dtwm for the simple reason that the Copy and Paste keys
work right out of the box.  Can anyone tell me how I might go about getting
these Sun-keyboard specific keys working in fvwm2?  These keys also have the
advantage in CDE that they apply to some sort of auxilary cutbuffer, or
whatever the correct terminology is (I'm no GUI programmer).

-- 
Paul Ackersviller

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:49:08 -0400

> whatever the correct terminology is (I'm no GUI programmer).

Copy and Paste work for me, (for example in XEmacs).

Which windows do you expect Copy and Paste to work in?

If you  have  fvwm starting  xterms, you might  want to  have it start
dtterms instead.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Paul_A <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:32:30 -0400

> Which windows do you expect Copy and Paste to work in?

I'm mainly concerned about xterm, but I take back part of what I said.
The last time I ran fvwm on the Sun box was a couple of months ago, but I
didn't get around to asking the list until now.  I may have upgraded my
xterm in the interim, because now the keys perform the same action as
mouse copying and pasting.

I suppose this is really an xterm question after all, so this may be the
wrong place to ask, but I will anyway.  What I notice is that dtterm has
the ability, in fvwm as well as CDE, to hold different text in the buffer
used for the Copy key after the mouse buffer has been replaced with newer
text.  If anyone out there knows how this is done, I'd appreciate knowing
the secret.

> If you  have  fvwm starting  xterms, you might  want to  have it start

I'd do this if I could put up with dtterm for any length of time, but I
can't, it's just not as configurable.

---

From: [email-masked] (David S. Goldberg)
Date: 27 Jun 2000 09:20:36 -0400

This is off topic, but may be of general interest.  Any followups
should be taken off the list.

> text.  If anyone out there knows how this is done, I'd appreciate knowing

In X you have the clipboard and the selection (I'm ignoring cut
buffers since they're not relevant to the discussion and I don't know
enough about them anyway :-).  The Copy and Paste (and Cut for some
applications) keys work with the clipboard, the all-mouse select and
paste (usually with left button and middle button respectively) use
the primary selection.  Somewhere there's a secondary selection but I
don't think I've ever found anything that used it.  xterm used to only
know about the selection, but it's been clipboard aware for quite some
time now.  However, I see what I think you're talking about.  I did a
little experiment.  I ran xterm and xclipboard, which I believe is
standard with most X environments.  xclipboard lets you manage several
clipboards, exactly one of which is active at any time.  In my xterm
window I selected some text with the mouse.  When I pressed the Copy
key the text showed up in the xclipboard window.  When I pressed
Paste, the text from the clipboard was pasted into the file I was
editing.  All well and good.  Then I selected some different text.  I
did not press Copy.  The xclipboard window was unchanged.  I just
pressed Paste.  The newly selected text ended up in the file instead
of the clipboard.  So xterm is doing something weird on the Paste key.
If it finds a primary selection it uses that, otherwise the clipboard.
According to the xterm man page on my Solaris 7 system, this must mean
that the Paste key is bound to insert-selection(PRIMARY,CLIPBOARD)
(see the ACTIONS section) or something similar as there may be other
sources checked either before or after the clipboard.  So you should
be able to set up an XTerm translation resource that binds the Paste
key to insert-selection(CLIPBOARD,PRIMARY).  Something like this:

*.VT100.Translations: #override \n\
<Key>SunPaste: insert-selection(CLIPBOARD,PRIMARY)

hth,
-- 
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS K207\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: [email-masked]