Subject: FVWM: the background

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:54:42 EDT

I have Red Hat Linux 5.2, and an earlier version of fvwm2.  I had a .bmp 
and/or a .jpg image I wanted to make the background, so I emailed some smart 
people and they said to use xv.  Since the .fvwm2rc doesn't work, I finally 
found the real config files in /etc/X11/AnotherLevel/. When I go into xv and 
i bring up the image, I click on root, tiled, and its there.  I notice in the 
FAQ you did it in the .fvwm2rc file, butwhat exactly do you write if you have 
the fvwm2.init.m4 file where it sets the background?
could you please answer me and tell me, in all your linux knowledge, what 
code to write?  oh yeah right now it has the xsetroot command there, and that 
cannot display my image.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:47:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

So, the first thing I would say is that there are many ways to deal with
this.  First of all, if you want to modify one of the .m4 files in
/etc/X11/AnotherLevel, copy it to your home directory and rename it by
adding a "." in front of the name and deleting the ".m4" suffix.  The
reason is if you look at /etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.m4 you will find
this:

define(`readFile', `dnl
syscmd(`test -f $HOME'/.$1)dnl
ifelse(sysval,0,`sinclude(esyscmd(`echo -n $HOME')/.$1)',
`sinclude(ANOTHERLEVEL/$1.m4)')')dnl

This defines an m4 command "readFile" which will first look in your home
directory and then at the default installation for some configuration
file.

eg.

# Now read in some interesting macros...
readFile(`fvwm2rc.macros')

My preference is to use FvwmBacker, xsetroot and xpm files.  So in your
situation I would copy /etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.modules.m4 to
~/.fvwm2rc.modules and insert something like this:

##### FvwmBacker
# Set Up Backgrounds for different desktops.
*FvwmBackerDesk 0 Exec xpmroot HOME/tiles/cyan5mra.xpm
*FvwmBackerDesk 1 Exec xpmroot HOME/tiles/pebble_town.xpm

Then I would copy  /etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.init.m4 to
~/.fvwm2rc.init and modify it.  You will find something which looks like
this:

AddToFunc "SetupFunction"
+ "I" Exec xsetroot -solid BG_COLOR
...

I would comment out this line (insert a # in front of the +) and add this
either before or after it.

+ "I" Module  FvwmBacker

This will start up the FvwmBacker module which will set up the backgroud
for you when you switch desks.  If you want to use xv instead of xpmroot
just change the command in the module configuration file
~/.fvwm2rc.modules for FvwmBacker.

Tom

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 02:12:51 +0300

On 19 Jun 2000 14:54:42 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I had a .bmp  and/or a .jpg image I wanted to make the background

Here are correct command line arguments to xv:

AddToFunc InitFunction I Exec xv -root -quit myimage.jpg

Regards,
Mikhael.