Subject: FVWM: tying a key to the paste command

From: Keith Kaple <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:07:17 -0400

This is probably an X question, but does anyone know how I might config Xfree86/fvwm to paste the buffer when I hit the insert key?

Thanks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:21:16 +0100

> This is probably an X question, but does anyone know how I might config Xfree86/fvwm to paste the buffer when I hit the insert key?

  This'll be entirely dependant upon the app. you want to do the paste in
- if many, then you'll need to set up each individually. FVWM does take
any part in that sort of action.

  However.

  You *can* in FVWM map the <Insert> key to call a program, passing the
window ID that has focus as an arg. You can then make that program perform
a fake key-press in the window; in this case, you'd want <Ctrl-V> I
imagine.

  Bit OTT, mind, but it'll work! (I do a similar thing to reformat emails
in Netscape; I have a key that runs up vim, then a vim script that grabs
the current selection, reformats it, and calls my prog. to fake a <Del>
then a <Ctrl-V> in the NS window to paste the edited contents
automatically back.)

  I have a very noddy xKeyClick.c thing that you could compile up & call;
if you're actually interested I'll email [the source] (or post it; it's
only 2Kb or so).

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |    If this .signature looks pants,
    mailto:[email-masked]  |     then just stop using Outlook!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:24:59 -0400

Keith Kaple <[email-masked]> writes:
> This is probably an X question, but does anyone know how I might config Xfree
> 86/fvwm to paste the buffer when I hit the insert key?

It would have to be done at the X resource level, mostly on a per
application basis.  This works for XTerm:

XTerm*VT100.translations:#override\n\
	<Key>Insert:	insert-selection(PRIMARY)

I don't know how far you would get if you tried:

*translations:#override\n\
	<Key>Insert:	insert-selection(PRIMARY)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].