Subject: FVWM: FVWM Error: Can't open display :0.0

From: Al Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have installed Linux 6.1 onto my Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT
laptop and decided I also wanted fvwm as my x-windows environment.
I have successfully installed fvwm 2.2.4 onto the laptop.
This is my first experience installing Linux and fvwm.
Although I've had some Unix experience, I've never been
a sys admin.

I have looked through the /docs directory of the fvwm installation and
searched through the archives of www.fvwm.org and I'm still stumped.

I am using tcsh. I setup the display environment variable
with the command:

   setenv DISPLAY :0.0

(tcsh doesn't have an export command).

When I try "fvwm" or "fvwm2", I get the error message:

   _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect : Can't connect : errno = 111
   [FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> can't open display :0.0

>From this I can conclude either my laptop LCD display is not
supported or I'm doing something wrong with setting up the
display. What else do I need to do???

Please be very specific in commands, filenames and directories
as this is my first installation of Linux and fvwm.
What may be "obvious" to you may not be obvious to me.

(For example, it wasn't obvious to me you had to type
"fvwm" or "fvwm2" to start up fvwm. It wasn't documented anywhere.
These things "everyone knows" is not obvious for a Linux beginner
like me.)

Also, please reply to directly to me as I am NOT subscribed
to your mailing list currently. 

Thanks,

  Al, [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 10:43:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Have you started X?  How are you loging in, through a X login interface
such as xdm or gdm, or are you loging in through a text prompt and typing
startx.

Tom