Subject: FVWM: raise and lower window based on activity

From: greg shebert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 20:26:31 -0500

hi there...

this may be beyond the scope of a window manager but i figured that,
since fvwm does so much already, that this might be possible...

basically what i want to do is have a terminal window that normally
stays iconified... whenever there is some output in the terminal window,
it should pop up on top of all other windows on whatever desktop/screen
the user is on, sit there for maybe 3 seconds, and then iconify itself
again

can this be done?

-greg-

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:49:03 -0400

> the user is on, sit there for maybe 3 seconds, and then iconify itself

rxvt has this:

     mapAlert: boolean
          True:  deiconify (map) on receipt of a bell  character.
          False:  no deiconify (map) on receipt of a bell charac-
          ter [default].

Fvwm wouldn't be  able  to  do  the  deiconify,  its unaware  of   the
application putting output in the window.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:12:56 +0100 (BST)

> the user is on, sit there for maybe 3 seconds, and then iconify itself

Um... if you pipe the output through a filter, which dumps xterm control
sequences, then yes, you can, but that isn't really fvwm related...

The sequences you want are: 

CSI 1 t

 and

CSI 2 t

[ I can send you a perl script that converts those symbolic sequences into 
  7 or 8 bit control sequences, if you like, since I wrote one the other
  day... synchronicity is spooky ]

I think CSI is: [7bit]: 0x1b 0x5b
            or: [8bit]: 0x9b

depending on whether you're in 7 or 8 bit mode...

You might be able to do other funky things with setting the xterm names 
and FvwmEvent, iirc, but I don't really know much about that.

HTH
-- 
I dunno about the Big Bang. The Big Kludge I can believe in.

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:50:19 -0700

Previously from greg shebert
>the user is on, sit there for maybe 3 seconds, and then iconify itself

Well, I believe that somehow xconsole can be configured to change the
icon title to prepend an asterisk (*) or something when there's new
output. FvwmEvent can respond to icon title events, so you might be
able to work some magic here.
-- 
[email-masked]                               http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].