Subject: FVWM: config, basics

From: "leegold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:37:11 -0400

i am a new user have some basic questions:
lets start w/the 1st thing i see in my system.fvwm2rc file:

EdgeResistance 250 10

I read the man fvwm2 entree for EdgeResistance but I don't understand -
could you rephrase it a different way and maybe I'll get the concept.

Thanks

btw, what's a "viewport"?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:14:23 -0230 (NDT)

Hello,

You might want to read the section of the fvwm2 man page entitled
"THE VIRTUAL DESKTOP" as it explains the difference between desktops,
pages, and viewports. You may also want to look at the DeskTopSize
command as you need a desktop larger than 1x1 (i.e. more than one page)
to use the EdgeResistance feature. If the EdgeResistance feature does
not seem to be working for you then perhaps your configuration script
implements multiple desktops but not multiple pages per desktop.

Bye,

Neil

---

From: "leegold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:23:36 -0400

Please,

I would deeply appreciate if someone would rephrase the manual entree, or
perhaps a brief practical example of what this setting - EdgeResistance 250
10
 -  does. say it's eg desktop 2x2.

Yes, I have printed out and am "barnstorming" the manual ( all 63 pages ).
As well as going thru my system.fvwn2rc line by line to get acquainted w/the
config. Would anyone indulge me for a moment and offer their explaination
of: EdgeResistance 250 10.

Thank You

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:16:18 -0400

> of: EdgeResistance 250 10.

The best way to understand the command is to try different values.
You can issue the command without restarting fvwm with FvwmTalk.

Refer to the man page text below.

For "scrolling" try values like 100 (tenth of a second) and 1000
(1 second). Move the pointer to the edge of the screen and hold it
there a while.  Try the righthand edge of the screen first.

For "moving" try 1, 100, and 1000.  With the mouse put the pointer
on the frame or titlebar of a window and try to drag the window off
the edge of the screen.

     EdgeResistance scrolling moving
          Tells how hard it  should  be  to  change  the  desktop
          viewport  by  moving  the  mouse  over  the edge of the
          screen and how hard it should be to move a window  over
          the edge of the screen.

          The first parameter tells  how  many  milliseconds  the
          pointer  must spend on the screen edge before fvwm will
          move the viewport.  This is intended for people who use

               EdgeScroll 100 100

          but find themselves accidentally  flipping  pages  when
          they don't want to.

          The second parameter tells how  many  pixels  over  the
          edge  of the screen a window's edge must move before it
          actually moves partially off the  screen.   By  default
          the  viewport  is  moved  a  full page in the requested
          direction, but if  you  used  EdgeScroll  and  set  any
          values other than zero they will be used instead.

          Note that, with

               EdgeScroll 0 0

          it is still possible to move or resize  windows  across
          the  edge  of  the current screen.  By making the first
          parameter to EdgeResistance 10000 this type  of  motion
          is impossible.  With EdgeResistance less than 10000 but
          greater than 0 moving over pages becomes difficult  but
          not impossible.  See also EdgeThickness.

After trying a few values, the man page explanation should make more
sense.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].