Subject: FVWM: starting fvwm

From: Elliot Sowadsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:11:47 -0700 (PDT)

What's the recommended way of starting whatever calls fvwm?

I'm on Solaris 2.5.1 that boots to a "dos prompt", not the winmanager
selection menu. I dont want CDE, just the basics required run fvwm2.

Right now (for histerical reasons)I have this chain of events.
fvwm2 is started from a .xinitrc.
Notice the 25MB /usr/openwin/bin/X elephant.

 0.3  920  744 console  S   Jun 27  0:00 /bin/sh /usr/openwin/bin/openwin -nobanner
 0.5 1840 1304 console  S   Jun 27  0:00 /usr/openwin/bin/xinit -- /usr/openwin/bin/X :0 -nobanner -auth /home/elliot/.xsun.darkstar:0
 0.5 11.012983228152 console  S   Jun 27 10:31 /usr/openwin/bin/X :0 -nobanner -auth /home/elliot/.xsun.darkstar:0
 0.2  0.9 2552 2144 console  S   Jun 27  0:38 fvwm2

Thanx
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:07:05 -0400

Elliot Sowadsky <[email-masked]> writes:
>  0.5 1840 1304 console  S   Jun 27  0:00 /usr/openwin/bin/xinit -- /usr/openw
> in/bin/X :0 -nobanner -auth /home/elliot/.xsun.darkstar:0

I think the "xinit" method is the simplest way to go, one advantage
being it can be understood by ordinary mortals.

Heres something from the Solaris FAQ that may explain the size of the
X Server:

5.50) Why is Xsun such a memory pig, especially on the SX, S24 and FFB?

    Ps counts the mappings for the framebuffer as memory.
    Especially on the FFB where a number of different mappings
    of the device address space is used to optimize
    access this can cause large amounts of memory, but not
    physical memory, to be mapped and shown by ps.

    It's not unusual for the FFB+ (Creator3D) to show a 500MB
    process size for the X server.

    Solaris 2.3 FCS also has a number of Xsun memory leaks when using
    the SX.  Get the SX patches or upgrade to a later release of
    Solaris 2.x.

    /usr/proc/bin/pmap (new in 2.5) will show the exact mappings used
    by Xsun.  "pmap -x" (new in 2.6) will even show how much of each
    mapping is shared/private resident, etc.  If Xsun has a memory leak,
    you'll see a huge "[heap]" with pmap.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].