Subject: FVWM: Re: gnome -> fvwm?, key repeat rate?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:07:16 +0200

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 03:17:29PM -0700, Jason Maron wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Is it possible to entirely bypass gnome and run fvwm instead. I don't
> mean running fvwm *on* gnome, I mean not running gnome at all. Gnome
> uses outrageous RAM, and I can't prevent all the obnoxious
> control_center +other windows and icons from appearing, which wastes
> time at the beginning of each session.

Yes, of course this is possible.  Since I'm a fvwm developer I can't
tell you exactly how to disable GNOME, though.  I will forward your
question to the fvwm mailing list ([email-masked]).

> There is an option within gnome to increase the key repeat rate and decrease
> the delay until repeat, but the maximum values are still too slow. Is there
> a way to increase these further? It would be even nicer to do it independent
> of the window manager. Alvin suggests a file ".xserverrc" with the line
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -ar1 250 -ar2 20 -middlekey 106 -rightkey 108
> where the ar1 and ar2 control key repeat rate, but this didn't work.

As far as I know the maximum rate is 250ms delay and 30 characters per
second.  With XFree86 you don't have to use command line arguments
though.  You can put the AutoRepeat option in the XFree config file.
>From the man page ("man XF86Config"):

      AutoRepeat delay rate
           changes the behavior of the autorepeat of the key
           board.  This does not work on all platforms.

Put this in the "Keyboard" section.  You can also use the command
"xset r rate <delay> <rate>", but the config file solution is better.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 19:59:40 +0300

> question to the fvwm mailing list ([email-masked]).

What happens is that gnome-session is started and it already starts all
session clients (like gmc icons). You want to ensure that fvwm2 is started
instead of gnome-session.

Depending on your distribution the following tips may or may not work.
Create a file ~/.Xclients containing one line "fvwm2". If you want to
bypass any logic you can create a file ~/.xinitrc with one line "fvwm2".

Regards,
Mikhael.