Subject: FVWM: Change cursor.. ?

From: Geoff Ludwiczak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:17:50 -0700

Hi

I'd like to know if it's possible to set a default cursor with a
provided xbm file for everything, not just the root window, i know how
to do that with xsetroot.  But I want to set one for everything, whether
I'm in Netscape, or whatever..

Thanks

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 19:44:11 -0700

Previously from Geoff Ludwiczak
>I'm in Netscape, or whatever..

I don't think there's any way to change the cursor used *within* an
application context, except by configuring/hacking the application.
For example, the little "hand" cursor in Netscape when you rollover a
link is private to Netscape. It's an area of weakness in X, IMHO.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:29:09 -0400

> link is private to Netscape. It's an area of weakness in X, IMHO.

I disagree.  I find this stuff in my Netscape.ad file:

! Mouse cursor when over an anchor.
*linkCursor:			hand2
! Mouse cursor when awaiting a reply.
*busyCursor:			watch
! Mouse cursor when "Save Next Link As..." mode is on, and over a link.
*saveNextLinkCursor:		hand2
! Mouse cursor when "Save Next Link As..." mode is on, and not over a link.
*saveNextNonlinkCursor:		crosshair

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:49:52 -0400

> I disagree.  I find this stuff in my Netscape.ad file:

Oops, sorry Michael, you did mention "configuring".  I guess you meant
a simple way to do this for all applications,  without hacking a bunch
of resources.

You could just find the bitmaps and change them.  For Solaris 2.6 they
seem to be in /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.Z.