Subject: FVWM: some newbie questions...

From: "Nikolaj G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 01:26:47 +0200

Been using Linux with fvwm2 for some weeks now and came up with this
list of questions:

1. Im using a filemenu item called "Files" with a list of files I use
often, each called with "emacs <filename>") - how can I send a file to
an existing emacs window, whitout opening a new emacs window?

2. How can I save a file (or shortcut) on the desktop (like Win95),
without using some kind of filemanager (like tkdesk).

3. Im using "Alt+Tab" to get the windowlist. Is it possible cycle
through the windowlist like Win95 or Enlightenment with flipping windows
on each "Tab"-hit - and recycle when "Shift" is down.

4. How can I - or what is the command to minimize and maximize all
windows back (like in Win95 with "Windows_Key + m" and "Shift +
Windows_Key + m") ?

5. How do I start an xterm that executes a "mount" followed by a "ls" ?

6. Lets say I have a filename in the clipboard. Is it possible to send
(pipe (?)) it to the menu, like
  "xv <take whatever is in the clipboard>" ?

7. Asclock is the only thing I want in FvwmButtons, but it get
"minimized" (only the upper left corner) - what's the exactly "Swallow
string" - and how do I remove edges around FvwmButtons.

8. Where does Linux associate files - or is it individual for each
program?

9. Where is the file with PATH?

10.Im in the xterm - how can I send a html-file to an existing Netscape
window, without opening a new one (same as quesion #1)?

11. How do I keep the normal cursor when in the "desktop-menu" - don't
like this left horizontal left arrow (default).

12. How can I make an "shutdown -h now" from the menu as "non-root" -
only using Fvwm2, and therefore don't have the "shutdown" posibility in
the default "window-manager login window".

13. Where can I add/remove buttons in the caption bar (system, close,
minimize and maximize) - ps know how to change the ButtonStyle.

14. How do I make a dynamic (recursive) "*.txt, *.c, *.cpp" filelist of
~/ in the menu - already tried the fvwm2/new-features example, but
couldn't make it work. Even better - lets say I found the file
(whatever) in the dynamic menu... and then press "Crtl+<something>" and
a menu-program-list pops up to choose from - is that possible? I mean
sometimes I want to use "emacs" other times "xjed" is better.

15. Is there a "drag & drop" utility/program/whatever that works all
over X Windows?

Thanks.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:54:24 -0700

> an existing emacs window, whitout opening a new emacs window?

  that's more of a emacs question

> without using some kind of filemanager (like tkdesk).

  AFAIK you cannot put files on the desktop, the desktop in fvwm is not
a folder (like it is in win95).

> on each "Tab"-hit - and recycle when "Shift" is down.

  it is not possible but you can hit the number (or letter, if there's
too many items) to  focus on particular p[rogram (to switch to
particular program).

> windows back (like in Win95 with "Windows_Key + m" and "Shift +

  I guess you can do that somehow (write a function?) but there's no
dire need to do it since you can send windows to back (so that they are
not on top but hidden behind other widows) and you can go to another
screen (or desktop) if you have too many windows on particular screen.

> 5. How do I start an xterm that executes a "mount" followed by a "ls" ?

  write a script:

#!/bin/sh
mount...
ls
read # or something so that the xterm does not close

>   "xv <take whatever is in the clipboard>" ?

  there are programs that output the current selection, on solaris
machine that I am using right now the program is xv_get_sel, use man -k
selection

> string" - and how do I remove edges around FvwmButtons.

  ?

> 8. Where does Linux associate files - or is it individual for each

  basically yes, but you can use the mime types for that purpose (debian
uses it in that way)

> 9. Where is the file with PATH?

  you set the PATH in the startup script for you shell, the name of the
file depends on shell you're using.

> window, without opening a new one (same as quesion #1)?

  it's not the same, it always depends on the target program. are you
talking about the URL in the xterm or actual file? the URL - just select
it and copy it into netscape's Location: field

> like this left horizontal left arrow (default).

  I think you can change it, check the man page

> the default "window-manager login window".

  don't know but I generally switch to virtual console (ctrl-alt-F1) and
use ctrl-alt-del to shutdown (you might have to change /etc/inittab,
because default is often reboot)

> minimize and maximize) - ps know how to change the ButtonStyle.

  see example .fvwmrc files, read the manual.

> sometimes I want to use "emacs" other times "xjed" is better.

  ?

> 15. Is there a "drag & drop" utility/program/whatever that works all

  lot of programs support the drag and drop protocol called... err... I
forgot, but I think even gnome and kde use it. the programs themselves
need to be aware of drag and drop, there's no separate utility for that.

	erik

---

From: Peter S Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:49:28 -0400

> an existing emacs window, whitout opening a new emacs window?

Use gnuserv.

 1- Get and install gnuserv package
 2- Add this to ~/.emacs :
     
  (setq gnuserv-frame (window-frame (selected-window)))
  (require 'gnuserv)
  (gnuserv-start)

 3- edit a file from the shell:

  $ gnuclient -q somefile.txt

-- 
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <[email-masked]>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
P.O. Box 1000, Mont-Joli Qc, G5H 3Z4 Canada. 418-775-0852 FAX: 775-0546
    6623'rd GNU/Linux user at the Counter - http://counter.li.org/ 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].