Subject: FVWM: fvwm: is there a way to move windows between desktops?

From: [email-masked] (Arya Behzad)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:47:15 -0700

Hi,

If I have two desktops defined (or more), how can I move a window from one
to the other?

Thanks.

Arya

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:58:04 +0100 (BST)

> If I have two desktops defined (or more), how can I move a window from one

If you have > 1 desktop displayed in your pager

[* FvwmPagerColumns 2, I think...]

then you can 'pick up' the miniwindow in the pager with the middle mouse
button and move it around on the pager.

-- 
He's been shot through the chest with an arrow.
What about his horse?
I don't think anyone's shot him with that.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Arya Behzad)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:32:42 -0700

Hi all,

Thanks for the helps...Unfortunately it did not solve my problem though.  It
may be something that the window manger cannot handle, and I may have to
recompile X with certain options.  My problem is that I have a dual-monitor
setup.  One DISPLAY name is :0.0 and the other s :0.1.  They are both
controled by Fvwm, but it seems like everything is independently controled
for each display. Even if I open a multi-desktop pager on one of the
terminals, all these virtual desktops belong to that monitor.  The only way
to open an object on the othter monitor is to set the DISPLAY environment on
the first monitor to :0.1 and then open the window.  Unfortunatelyh, this
does not solve my pronblem of wanting to move windows once they are placed
on one desktop on a particular monitor.  I hope it is clear what I am trying
to say!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know for sure that the Win
manager can not take care of this problem, I would like to know also.

Thanks again.

-Arya

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Vivek
> Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 2:58 AM
> To: Arya Behzad
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm: is there a way to move windows between
> desktops?
>
>

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:08:51 -0700

I think you're right about this not being WM problem. the two monitors
are behaving as two independent displays on X level. you need to
configure X so that both of them are one, it can be done with latest X
(under certain conditions). just my $.2, I don't have any personal
experience with multi-headed X.

	erik

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:26:24 -0700

Previously from Arya Behzad
>manager can not take care of this problem, I would like to know also.

As noted by another poster, your suspicion that this isn't a window
management issue is correct. It's an X server thing. Specifically,
what you're looking for is called Xinerama, and is part of the latest
X11R6.4 specification. XFree86 4.0 supports Xinerama. I don't know the
status of commercial Unix support for X11R6.4 or Xinerama.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"If you lend me some money, it'll be my treat."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].