Subject: FVWM: FocusFollowsMouse problems

From: Von Welch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:01:03 -0500

Hello all,

 I'm seeing problems with my focusing. I've checked both the XFree86 and
fvwm faqs without luck. If anyone can give me any pointers on what to
look at for a fix, I'd appreciate it, 'cause this is annoying.

 I'm using FocusFollowsMouse and it works most the the time, but I'm seeing
the following problems:

 1) about 1 time in 10 when I move the mouse from one window to another,
the focus fails to follow and the first window retains the focus. The
same is true moving from the root window to a window, 1 time in 10 the
window will fail to receive focus.

 2) when new windows appear and the mouse cursor is already in them, they
don't always receive focus.

 3) Very rarely, once a week, I see a situation where one window apparently
has focus (i.e. it's highlighted) , but another window is receiving the
keyboard input. In this situation I usually have to iconify the window
receiving keyboard input in order to get another window to receive it.

 I don't beleive I've always had this problem, it seemed to appear one
day, but I haven't been able to discover what actions I did to cause it's
appearance. I didn't upgrade X or fvwm2 or anything obvious to me.

 My .fvwmrc2 file contains the following line, plus a handful of other
lines for specific apps that state they are 'ClockToFocus':

Style "*"           FocusFollowsMouse

 My versions are:

Fvwm Version 2.2.2
XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 / X Window System
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15 on an i686

Thanks in advance,

Von

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:20:25 -0700

>  I'm seeing problems with my focusing. I've checked both the XFree86 and

  time for new glasses? :-)

  I have this in config (fvwm 2.2.4):

fvwm-theme:#Style "*" ClickToFocus
fvwm-theme:#Style "*" MouseFocus
fvwm-theme:Style "*" SloppyFocus
fvwm-theme:Style "xload"           NoTitle, Sticky, WindowListSkip,
ClickToFocus  

...
> Style "*"           FocusFollowsMouse

  it looks like it changed since 2.2.2

> Fvwm Version 2.2.2

  I think the best way to go is to update to last stable version...

  I noticed that over time lot of little quirks/inconveniences
disappeared (the newer versions are less buggy)...

> Kernel 2.2.5-15 on an i686

	erik