Subject: FVWM: Displaced mouse pointer during window movement

From: "Jan T. Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:05:21 +0200

Dear fvwm gurus,

in my ~/.fvwm2rc, I have

    ClickTime 150

    Mouse 1 T A Move-or-Raise

    AddToFunc Move-or-Raise  "C" Raise
    +                        "M" Move

This lets me grab and move a window by its title bar, or if I just click
on the title bar, the window is raised -- just as I want it. There's
one funny thing, though: If I start moving the mouse less than 150 ms
after pressing the left mouse button, the pointer moves as expected, but
the window does not. It only starts moving after ClickTime has passed.
Unfortunately, it doesn't jump to catch up with the mouse, either; the
window frame and the mouse pointer move synchronously, but the mouse
pointer may be dozens of pixels displaced from the title bar and remain
constant at this distance.

This behaviour slightly gets in my way when I want to bring a window
such that its title bar is close to the upper border of the screen --
as I cannot move the mouse pointer beyond the border, I have to grab
the window again, patiently wait until the cursor shape changes from a
bullet to a four way arrow, and then do the movement.

Is there any way to work around this? Am I doing something foolish? I
must admit that my ~/.fvwm2rc file is a result of hacking about in a
sample that came with some Linux distrib, so I may well use some less
than optimal technique here...

Greetinx & thanx in advance,
Jan
-- 
 +- Jan T. Kim -------------------------------------------------------+
 |             email: [email-masked]                           |
 |             WWW:   http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~kim/              |
 *-----=<  hierarchical systems are for files, not for humans  >=-----*
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ulrich Fahrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:59:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Jan T. Kim wrote:

> This lets me grab and move a window by its title bar, or if I just
> click on the title bar, the window is raised -- just as I want it.
> There's one funny thing, though: If I start moving the mouse less
> than 150 ms after pressing the left mouse button, the pointer
> moves as expected, but the window does not. It only starts moving
> after ClickTime has passed. Unfortunately, it doesn't jump to
> catch up with the mouse, either; the window frame and the mouse
> pointer move synchronously, but the mouse pointer may be dozens of
> pixels displaced from the title bar and remain constant at this
> distance.

This is a well-known bug in FVWM-2.2.2, as far as I know. So if you're
using FVWM-2.2.2, that's why. I believe this has been corrected in
2.2.4, so an upgrade would solve your problem. The only workaround
I've found is to set ClickTime to 0, a somewhat strange solution. But
who needs double-clicking anyway :-)

-- 
Ulrich Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:23:27 +0200

> constant at this distance.

You don't say which release you are using.  This bug is fixed in the
current beta versions (2.3.x) and - I believe - also in the last
stable release (2.2.4).
 
> than optimal technique here...

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].