Subject: FVWM: fvwm error messages

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 06:44:39 -0230 (NDT)

Hello,

I get the following errors in my .xsession-errors file and have no
idea of how my fvwm2 file got messed up... I think I must have pasted
something into it without knowing it or something... the worse part
is that it doesn't look much different than it did a couple of hours
ago but some things are simply not working... this is bizarre. Next
time I shall remember not to have too many windows opened at once!

[FVWM][AddWindow]: <<ERROR>> Can't get geometry
[FVWM][AddWindow]: <<ERROR>> Can't get geometry
[FVWM][AddWindow]: <<ERROR>> Can't get geometry a second time
[FVWM][AddWindow]: <<ERROR>> Can't get geometry a second time
[FVWM][AddWindow]: <<ERROR>> Can't get geometry a second time

Does anyone know what could be causing these messages. When I first
log in they are not there. The they come up.

Thanks a lot!

Neil

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:47:50 -0400

> log in they are not there. The they come up.

I'm afraid I added those messages since I couldn't figure out
why an XGetGeometry call would fail for a window fvwm is trying
to add.

I guess fvwm gets notified that a window is being added, but
the window disappears before fvwm can find out about it.

I'll remove the messages.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 19:00:23 -0230 (NDT)

> the window disappears before fvwm can find out about it.

I think you are right here. The windows I was popping up were
being unmapped so fast that I could not see the error messages
displayed within them. To see what the error messages were
I had to launch a cople dozen from my buttonbox and then chase
their titlebars: clicking on a titlebar is the only way of having
a window that's about to disappear stay on the desktop, hence
displaying the error messages I was looking for,

The following example should produce the error message:

Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e /bin/sh -c "/bin/ls; \
   /bin/ls; /bin/cat nonexistentfile"

Thanks,

Neil

---

From: "Jose' Manuel Pereira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 20:00:05 +0100 (WEST)

"NZ" == Neil Zanella <[email-masked]> writes:

  NZ> I think you are right here. The windows I was popping up were being
  NZ> unmapped so fast that I could not see the error messages displayed
  NZ> within them. To see what the error messages were I had to launch a cople
  NZ> dozen from my buttonbox and then chase their titlebars: clicking on a
  NZ> titlebar is the only way of having a window that's about to disappear
  NZ> stay on the desktop, hence displaying the error messages I was looking
  NZ> for,

  NZ> The following example should produce the error message:

  NZ> Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e /bin/sh -c "/bin/ls; \ /bin/ls; /bin/cat
  NZ> nonexistentfile"

To actually see anything, try something like:

Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e /bin/sh -c "/bin/cat nonexistentfile; read xxx"

The window will then stay until you hit <Ret> in it.

OTOH, perhaps I misunderstood the whole point and you were trying something
else...

-- 
 Jose' Pereira				 		Tel. +351.21.841 9340
 DEEC - Dep. of Electrical and Computer Engineering	Fax. +351.21.841 7499
 Instituto Superior Tecnico - Technical University of Lisboa
 Av. Rovisco Pais - 1049-001 Lisboa - Portugal
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 17:32:08 -0230 (NDT)

> The window will then stay until you hit <Ret> in it.

Thanks! That's certainly a very useful debugging hint!

> OTOH, perhaps I misunderstood the whole point and you were trying something

I just posted that as an example of a script that causes a window to pop
up and disappear quickly. The script I was using was actually a lot longer
so I made up something shorter. The problem I was experiencing, as it
turns out, is that some cron job on my sytem changed the permissions on
my /tmp directory making it not writeable and acusing my syntactically
correct script to crash. I had to log in as root to fix that.

Bye,

Neil