Subject: FVWM: Configuration file for CDE-like desktop

From: Zoltan Csala <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:25:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

I am sorry if this was explained before, but:

Can someone send to me his .fvwm2rc configuration file that
describes CDE-like look of fvwm2? I managed to get something
that resembles front panel, but it is still secret (to me)
how to make menus that go upwards, like in CDE.

I think that should be achieved by using FvwmButtons module,
but I am not quite sure.

All the best,

Zoltan
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 04:34:36 +0300

> I think that should be achieved by using FvwmButtons module,

I am not familar with a cde-like configuration utilizing the latest fvwm
features, it would interesing to have (as a theme).

A simple web search using words "fvwm2rc" "CDE" "FvwmButtons" returns
some old configs, for example this one (there is md6.gif screenshot):

  http://www.go.dlr.de/linux/src/.warix/Panel-CDEm-v3.0.tgz.html

To make menus to be posted up, use menu position hints (see the man page):

  Menu PanelSubMenu Root +200p o100-64p  # bottom-left corner at +200-64

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:18:49 +0200

> I think that should be achieved by using FvwmButtons module,

O, where did you get the cde like front panel, i'd be interested.
There is also xfce which is kind of like a cde-clone. It has a front
panel, window manager and several other items. Because it is modular, 
it is possible to use only the front panel with fvwm as window manager.
This way, you can get a good cde-like look. (see http://www.xfce.org )

jos

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:56:26 -0400

> O, where did you get the cde like front panel, i'd be interested.

	The link that Mikhael referenced - 

- points to an old version of Matt Baron's Panel. The latest link I have
to his Panel page is

  http://www.visi.com/~mbaron//panel/

The link is still alive, but I don't think Matt's been actively working
on it for a long time. As I recall, Panel is supposed to be a generic
CDE panel look-alike that should work with any window manager, but had
some special extensions for working with FVWM - I don't remember just
what. If it used the module interface, I doubt that that part will be
anywhere near up to date.

	I used it for a while a few years ago, and it seemed pretty slick. But
I like a clean desktop, so I tend to stop using things like task bars
and control panels as soon as the new wears off.

	Writing CDE clones was a popular activity some 3 or 4 years ago, but
interest seems to have waned. Another popular one was Orlando Andico's
FvwmCDE, but it and he seem to have disappeared; I gave up trying to
locate him a couple of years ago. I don't know anything about the
current status of xfce.

Cheers,
Bob