Subject: FVWM: Newbie question

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to install a new version of fvwm on a Solaris 2.7 machine. (Ultra class). The current version is 2.0.42. I am trying to get 2.2.4 going but I am having problems.

When I put /usr/local/bin/fvwm into my .xinitrc file, fvwm will start up, but the system defaults do not show up (a logout button and the map with the desktops on it) nor is there anyway to log out. If I choose restart FVWM from the menu, then everything comes up ok and I can use it normally.  

I did just a plain ./configure on my system with no arguments.

I know this is sketchy but I don't know what type of information is needed. If you have questions please let me know.

Dave Glaser

 David S. Glaser  AKA Grizz	|        
 M&M Systems Administrator      | Forget virus scanning. Its all about "re-
 U201 M&ME Building 	  	| education". Preferably in a parking lot with
 Houghton, MI 49931	 	| a tire iron.   - BOFH
 [email-masked] 		|  

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 31 May 2000 11:42:10 -0400

%% "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]> writes:

  dg> I am trying to install a new version of fvwm on a Solaris 2.7
  dg> machine. (Ultra class). The current version is 2.0.42. I am trying
  dg> to get 2.2.4 going but I am having problems.

  dg> When I put /usr/local/bin/fvwm into my .xinitrc file,
                                ^^^^
You mean /usr/local/bin/fvwm2, right?
                        ^^^^^
  dg> fvwm will start up, but the system defaults do not show up (a
  dg> logout button and the map with the desktops on it) nor is there
  dg> anyway to log out.

What "system defaults" do you refer to?  Normally, FVWM configuration is
kept in your home directory, in ~/.fvwm2rc.  If you have some system
default file, it's very likely that the new FVWM isn't finding it, since
you installed it in a different place than the old FVWM.

If you have it in your ~/.fvwm2rc, then likely there is some kind of
error in that file.  Do you capture the error output from starting the X
server?  How do you usually invoke X and FVWM on this system?  Does it
boot into a graphical login, or do you log in on the console and then
use startx, or what?

We'll need to see that error messages FVWM generates (if any).

  dg> If I choose restart FVWM from the menu, then everything comes up
  dg> ok and I can use it normally.

When you restart, you are undoubtedly using the old FVWM binary, not the
new one.  Pass a specific path to the Restart command, or put
/usr/local/bin on your PATH _before_ wherever the old FVWM was installed
so it's found first.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

> You mean /usr/local/bin/fvwm2, right?

Yes. my mistake.

> you installed it in a different place than the old FVWM.

The old system.fvwm2rc file. Located in /usr/local/etc.

> boot into a graphical login, or do you log in on the console and then

No ~/.fvwm2rc file.  I log on through CDE. and choose openwin for my manager (which looks at the ~/.xinitrc file to find what manager to run.

> /usr/local/bin on your PATH _before_ wherever the old FVWM was installed

Oh. Ok. Ill try it.

Dave

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:58:29 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Dave (Grizz) Glaser wrote:

> When I put /usr/local/bin/fvwm into my .xinitrc file, fvwm will start
> up, but the system defaults do not show up (a logout button and the
> map with the desktops on it) nor is there anyway to log out. If I
> choose restart FVWM from the menu, then everything comes up ok and I
> can use it normally.
> 

Does `which fvwm` return '/usr/local/bin/fvwm' ?

If not, the restart might be starting a different fvwm than the xinitrc, 
which in turn might be reading different config files.

-- 
He's been shot through the chest with an arrow.
What about his horse?
I don't think anyone's shot him with that.

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Does `which fvwm` return '/usr/local/bin/fvwm' ?

I fixed my profile path and that seems to be working fine. Now it seems that the configuration file that was used in 2.0.42 does not exactly work in 2.2.4. 

In example:

I had a logout button that you could click on and it would ask for confirmation, if you clicked on yes, it logged you out (exited fvwm2). It also had a little map of the desks that you could click on and it would change virtual desktops. They work under 2.0.42, but not 2.2.4.

I have never really programmed the fvwm2rc file and don't really know how this is fixed, (whether they are modules, functions, etc). Does anyone know if these are built in functions that aren't working or some module or something?

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 31 May 2000 12:54:54 -0400

dg> The old system.fvwm2rc file. Located in /usr/local/etc.

Hmm.

Did a new one get installed on top of that?

  dg> No ~/.fvwm2rc file.  I log on through CDE. and choose openwin for
  dg> my manager (which looks at the ~/.xinitrc file to find what
  dg> manager to run.

OK.  Modify your .xinitrc so that it redirects stdout and stderr to a
file (maybe ~/.fvwm-errors or something) so you can see any messages
FVWM is generating.

  dg> I fixed my profile path and that seems to be working fine. Now it
  dg> seems that the configuration file that was used in 2.0.42 does not
  dg> exactly work in 2.2.4.

No doubt.

  dg> I had a logout button that you could click on and it would ask for
  dg> confirmation, if you clicked on yes, it logged you out (exited
  dg> fvwm2).

This was probably implemented using the FvwmGoodStuff module; the name
of this module changed to FvwmButtons.

  dg> It also had a little map of the desks that you could click
  dg> on and it would change virtual desktops.

This is called a "pager", and is implemented by the FvwmPager module.
It's possible (it's been so long I can't remember anymore) that 2.0.42
still had the builtin pager, which may be what the config is using.
That won't work anymore I think; you must use the FvwmPager module.

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:15:54 -0400 (EDT)

> file (maybe ~/.fvwm-errors or something) so you can see any messages

How? I tried .../fvwm >& fvwm-errors but it just puked on me.

> of this module changed to FvwmButtons.
The config file has FvwmButtons in it.

> That won't work anymore I think; you must use the FvwmPager module.

The file also has FvwmPager in it.

If I can get the error stuff show up it would help.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 31 May 2000 14:40:04 -0400

>> file (maybe ~/.fvwm-errors or something) so you can see any messages

  dg> How? I tried .../fvwm >& fvwm-errors but it just puked on me.

Again, I assume you mean ".../fvwm2" here.
                                  ^

What exactly does "puked on me" mean?  It's impossible to help without
proper descriptions of behavior.

I suspect the problem is that .xinitrc is a traditional Bourne shell
script.  The >& token is a C shell (bletch ptooey) feature... although
some Bourne-based shells, like bash, allow it too.

The equivalent to the above, in sh syntax, is:

  .../fvwm2 > fvwm-errors 2>&1

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:06:47 -0400 (EDT)

> proper descriptions of behavior.

My apologies. What happens is that fvwm starts to load, shows xterms I start up, but the "background" which is supposed to be black just stays with the CDE login and never starts up correctly.

>   .../fvwm2 > fvwm-errors 2>&1

Ok. Ill try it and Ill see what happens. 

Thanks.
Dave