Subject: FVWM: Fvwm newbie's questions (problem with FvwmPager)

From: [email-masked] (Gregory A. Shimansky)
Date: 17 Apr 2000 16:11:29 +0400

Hello here :)

I have. I have some minor problem with FvwmPager. As I've written earlier I
have four desks and move through them using keyboard (Alt+right and
Alt+left keys). I have several windows stiky (like irc, icq, console).

I have several windows on one desk, some of them are stiky. I move one
non-stiky window to the top of all of them, it is shown correctly on the
pager. Then I move to another desk and return back. On the screen I see the
non-stiky window still on the top of all. On the pager I see the stiky
windows on top of non-stiky ones... Here are the pictures describing what I
see. Console and irc are stiky, mail is not.

On the screen:

+----------------------------------------------+
|+-Console----------+                          |
||       +-mail---------+                      |
||       |              |                      |
|+-------|              |                      |
|        |              |                      |
|        |              |                      |
|        |              |                      |
| +-irc--|              |                      |
| |      |              |                      |
| |      +--------------+                      |
| |          |                                 |
| |          |                                 |
| +----------+                                 |
+----------------------------------------------+

On FvwmPager:

+----------------------------------------------+
|+-Console----------+                          |
||                  |---+                      |
||                  |   |                      |
|+------------------+   |                      |
|        |              |                      |
|        |              |                      |
|        |              |                      |
| +-irc------+          |                      |
| |          |          |                      |
| |          |----------+                      |
| |          |                                 |
| |          |                                 |
| +----------+                                 |
+----------------------------------------------+

Is it a bug or an intended feature and if it's intended how can I make
pager to show me the true positions of the windows?

Thanks in advance.
--
Gregory
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 02:34:16 +0300

> see. Console and irc are stiky, mail is not.

It is not a feature, pager should show the real world, so it is a bug.
Please always tell us the fvwm version when reporting problems (you should
test over the latest stable or unstable one). When reporting bugs, it is
very helpful if you show how it is possible to reproduce them. Thank you.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory A. Shimansky)
Date: 20 Apr 2000 13:59:28 +0400

>>>>> "MG" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

>> see. Console and irc are stiky, mail is not.

MG> It is not a feature, pager should show the real world, so it is a bug.
MG> Please always tell us the fvwm version when reporting problems (you should
MG> test over the latest stable or unstable one). When reporting bugs, it is
MG> very helpful if you show how it is possible to reproduce them. Thank you.

I upgraded to
[FVWM][main]:  Fvwm Version 2.3.16 compiled on Apr 20 2000 at 13:11:17
[FVWM][main]:  with support for:  ReadLine RPlay Stroke XPM IMLIB Session
and the bug is still here. As for how to reproduce it, I think I described
it all well enough. In short:

1. On a desk where you have several overlapping sticky and not stiky
windows bring the not sticky window to the front.
2. Switch to another desk.
3. Return back to the desk where you started.
4. On the screen you will see the not sticky window on top of others, on
the pager you will see sticky windows on top of it.

Hope it helps.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:11:54 +0200

> the pager you will see sticky windows on top of it.

I can easily reproduce this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:29:40 +0100 (BST)

Hi - I'm not 100% sure if this is an Fvwm thing or an xterm thing, but:

I'm trying to use the 'activeIcon' functionality of the xfree86 xterm
[patch #132], in fvwm 2.2.4: basically I want iconified xterms to accept
input: I can verify that the xterms have activeIcon support compiled in:
If I remove the 'Icon' entry from their styles, I see a miniaturised
version of an xterm when I iconify them, and I'm _almost certain_ that in
the past, they used [in a version of fvwm 2.0.x, I think]  to accept input
in this state as well, but they don't seem to do that any more. Rxvts
still accept input when iconified. Is there something extra I need to do
to get fvwm 2.2.x to supply input to iconified xterms? [The xterm
documentation states that the activeIcon input stuff works with fvwm]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? [I've specified 'Lenience' in the xterm 
style, just in case]

They both have the follwing in ther Identify info:

Focus Policy: Passive
- Input Field: True
- WM_TAKE_FOCUS: Absent

Anybody have any ideas about this? Is there something I need to
set/compile in to fvwm? Or should I direct my attention back towards
xterm? 

-- 
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't it.
                -- Groucho Marx

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:12:22 +0200

> set/compile in to fvwm? Or should I direct my attention back towards

There were some fixes to the 'active icon' related code in fvwm
in the 2.3.x beta releases.  Try if the latest beta (2.3.16)
shows the same symptoms.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:09:09 +0100 (BST)

> in the 2.3.x beta releases.  Try if the latest beta (2.3.16)

I'm afraid that seems to dump core as soon as anything that takes input
[ xterm, rxvt, xcalc is opened, [at least for the one I compiled anyway]
  and I have to get _some_ stuff done today, so I'll have to do my window
  shopping later :) ... I'll probably try stuff out at home this
  weekend... ]

-- 
Come, Goratrix, we must return to the chantry to prepare for tomorrow night!
What are we gonna do tomorrow night, Tremere?
The same thing we do every night, Goratrix: Try to Take Over The World!

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:46:18 +0100 (BST)

Hi - I'm having a little trouble getting PipeRead to behave as I expect
in 2.2.4: 

I have the following function:

AddToFunc make_module_menu
+	"I"	DestroyMenu Module-Popup
+	"I"	AddToMenu   Module-Popup	FOO	Title
+	"I"	PipeRead    'for m in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2/*; do X=`basename $m`; echo -e "AddToMenu\tModule-Popup\t\"$X\"\tNop"; done'

The title of the menu gets set, but there are no entries in it.
When I run the above shell command by hand, I get the following output:

AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmAnimate"   Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmAudio"     Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmAuto"      Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmBacker"    Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmBanner"    Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmButtons"   Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmCommandS"  Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmConfig"    Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmConsole"   Nop
AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmConsoleC"  Nop

Which looks Ok to me: In fact, when I add those lines explicitly as + "I"
elements of the make_module_menu, they show up: Is PipeRead relatively
fussy/flaky? DO I need to move up to the latest betas to get it working?
[ For a while I got it to generate a menu with the correct number of
  entries, but it seemed to insist on picking the wrong word as the menu
  label, and now I don't even seem to be able to produce that ]

-- 
Nobody wants constructive criticism.  It's all we can do to put up with
constructive praise.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:44:27 +0300

> AddToMenu       Module-Popup    "FvwmAudio"     Nop

I am commenting the current version, but I don't think there were changes
in PipeRead parsing from 2.2.4. Solutions:

1) Quote all backslashes in your PipeRead line with backslash: \\.
2) Create a small shell script and PipeRead it.
3) Rewrite your last line to be simplier:

  + I PipeRead 'for m in `ls /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2`; echo "AddToMenu Module-Popup $m Nop"; done'

Regards,
Mikhael.