Subject: FVWM: Fvwm newbie's questions (preventing to close fvwm module windows)

From: [email-masked] (Gregory A. Shimansky)
Date: 12 Apr 2000 20:26:52 +0400

Hello here :)

I use FvwmButtons and FvwmTask bar. So I do not use icons at all. I have a
SUN keyboard with additional SUN keys so I bound Open (F17) to close the
focused window. I also use point-to-focus focus style. When I occasionally
move a pointer to FvwmButtons or FvwmTask windows and press Open that
window is closed and actually disappears because I cannot restore it by
icon and it is not shown in window list. How can I protect a window from
being ever closed?

Thanks in advance.
--
Gregory
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:48:48 -0700

"Gregory A. Shimansky" wrote:
> focused window.

  is there by any chance a Close (F??) key that you could map to open
new xterm? :-)

> I also use point-to-focus focus style. When I occasionally

  the close (unlike destroy) can be ignored by application (at least
that's what I see some applications doing), but I am not sure if you can
do that from outside of the application.

  there is another solution though: you can make window unfocusable, so
that it never gets focus or make it so that it needs a click to get
focus. one of those might solve you problem., here's an example:

Style "oclock"          StaysOnTop, NoTitle, Sticky, \
                        WindowListSkip, ClickToFocus

  this way, the clock does not get focus when the mouse is over it and
thus would not get closed. note that the general policy can still be
point to focus, it is just changed for the particular wondow...

	erik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:27:59 +0200

> icon and it is not shown in window list. How can I protect a window from

Yes, if you have one of the 2.3.x beta versions.  With

  Style FvwmButtons NeverFocus

FvwmButtons will not get the focus if you move the mouse over
it, so it won't be closed with your key stroke.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].