Subject: FVWM: Problems with getting XPM/colored icons to work

From: "Scott Shipley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:21:17 -0400

Hello,

As in the subject, I'm having trouble getting XPM, and thus colored icons
to work in fvwm. This server was recently given a clean install of Solaris 7
8/99, and then patched with the most recent Sun recommended patch set
for Solaris 7. The server itself is a Sun clone (please don't laugh). The
processor on a psrinfo -v says "sparcv9 processor running at 360 MHz"

Anyway, I compiled XPM 3.4K. I put the X11 includes in /usr/local/include
and the lib files in /usr/local/lib. I ran configure as follows:

LDFLAGS=-R/usr/local/lib
./configure --without-cxx --with-xpm-library=/usr/local/lib
--with-xpm-includes=/usr/local/include

The make ran with most gcc comands using the "-lXpm" flag.

The icons themsleves are in /usr/local/icons.

The configure.log file contains no references to errors involving Xpm.

If I am not providing enough information, please write back, and I'll
provide what
I can. If not, then thanks in advance for your assistance!

-STS

Scott Shipley
Senior System Administrator
outweb, Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:34:21 -0400

> I can. If not, then thanks in advance for your assistance!

You should have seen  something like this at the  end of the configure
step:

Configuration:

  FVWM Version:                    2.3.16

  Have ReadLine support?           yes
  Have RPlay support?              no
  Have Stroke support?             no
  Have XPM support?                yes
                                   ^^^

If you see "yes", then you have successfully compiled in XPM support.

Let us know what version of fvwm you are using.
If you've got compiled in support, send the parts of your .fvwm2rc where
you try to use the icons.  Depending on the release you are using, check
your PixmapPath, or ImagePath.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Apr 2000 11:39:42 -0400

%% "Scott Shipley" <[email-masked]> writes:

  ss> Anyway, I compiled XPM 3.4K. I put the X11 includes in
  ss> /usr/local/include and the lib files in /usr/local/lib. I ran
  ss> configure as follows:

X programs expect all headers to be in an X11 directory under the
include directory.  That is, they all do things like:

  #include <X11/xpm.h>

So, you need to copy that header to /usr/local/include/X11/xpm.h, not
/usr/local/include/xpm.h.

Don't know if that helps; you definitely should have seen some kind of
message about XPM not being found correctly in the configure output if
it didn't work.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].