Subject: FVWM: (no subject)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 01:38:51 EST

I have Red Hat Linux 5.2 and an FVWM2, and I cannot display anything but 
pixmaps for a background.  it is extremely annoying and inconvenient.  I had 
a bitmap and a JPEG file, and the preferences screen would not take them.  I 
was wondering where the command line or lines for displaying background 
images is, and if there is a reason I can't display those types of files.  I 
also tried saving them as pixmaps but that didn't seem to work either.  And I 
checked your FAQ and it had no question of this type, so you should be able 
to find it in your infinite wisdom to know the answer.  Just don't ignore me, 
I need a response, even if it is just to tell me I'm a moron.  
'
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:37:24 -0500 (EST)

I believe that with fvwm2 comes xpmroot which can be used to put up
background images on the root window if they are of the type xpm.  
In this case you can say use FvwmBackerDesk to set the root window
background for different desks as follows.

*FvwmBackerDesk 1 Exec xpmroot PATH_TO_TILES/bg.xpm
*FvwmBackerDesk 2 Exec xpmroot ...

If you have a different file format, such as the jpg that you mention then
at least in RH 6.1 they make use of a package called xsri

$ rpm -q xsri
xsri-1.0-4

in order to put up images on the root window for the gdm (replacement for
xdm) login interface.  I think it's a fairly new package, but you should
be able to either get it in an rpm for 5.2, upgrade to 6.1 or 6.2, or
build it yourself.  It has the following options and I know that it
understands jpg, png, ppm, and gif; haven't tried any others...

$ xsri
Usage:
xsri [options] image_file

where options are any of:
  -geometry [WIDTHxHEIGHT][+X+Y]
  -root
  -scale
  -scale-width
  -scale-height
  -avoid [WIDTHxHEIGHT][+X+Y]
  -center-horizontal
  -center-vertical
  -integer-scale
  -keep-aspect

Beyond this there are many other ways, such as using xv. Finally, you
could try to be a little more polite or nicer.  We understand
how frustrating it can be, but no one here is the cause of your problems;
nor are we obligated to offer assistance.

Tom