Subject: FVWM: Gnome, sawmill and FVWM

From: "Robert H. Ford II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:39:24 -0500

All,

I've been a FVWM user since before version 1.24r.

For the past month I've been using Gnome with (I hate to say it) Sawmill as the
WM.

While Sawmill is very nice (you can set everything via an interface with Gnome)
it lacks the dexterity that I've been able to accomplish with FVWM.  It does
have an advantage setting curtain style settings via a GUI.  It's pretty nice.

I am using version 2.3.16 of FVWM and I have been able to run FVWM with no
apparent major problems in Gnome (I do have some small ones that are probable
loser errors). I do however have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know if the Gnome panel can dock/swallow FVWM's pager?

Will FVWM ever give the user the ability to "Modify" FVWM's settings (Styles,
TitleStyles, etc...) via Gnome?  While I don't mind doing things by hand, I have
users who prefer a GUI interface to these things.

Any FVWM/Gnome pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-- 
    _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/ Robert H. Ford II
   _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/    Lucent Technologies
  _/_/_/     _/_/_/   _/_/_/       _/    _/     Bell Labs Innovations
 _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/      Naperville IL, 60566-7045
_/    _/   _/  _/   _/         _/_/_/_/_/_/     mailto:[email-masked]
                                                Voice: (630) 713-4957
__________________________________________________
|  M R spiders!                    |      |   |  |
|  M N O spiders!                  |      |   |  |
|  O S A R - C D E D B D I's?      |      |   |  |
|  Y I B, M R spiders...           |      |   *  |
|                                  *      |      |
|                                         *      |
--------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:40:44 +0300

> Does anyone know if the Gnome panel can dock/swallow FVWM's pager?

Yes, just like any other window. Also if you compiled with GNOME support,
you should be able to use a native GNOME pager (there are several ones).

> TitleStyles, etc...) via Gnome?

Noone can say for sure. Maybe, after the new WM standard will be out.

> While I don't mind doing things by hand, I have

Currently the project fvwm-themes aims to provide this functionality,
but not yet, it will be more ready when fvwm-2.4 will be out.

> Any FVWM/Gnome pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Not very much. But FVWM has usable GNOME and session management support.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:17:53 +0300

On 20 Apr 2000 14:50:10 -0500, Robert H. Ford II wrote:
> Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> I didn't want to use a native GNOME pager as I cannot drag-n-drop windows
> between desktops/workspaces.
> 
> Just to be current I downloaded the snapshot from yesterday and just
> compiled version 2.3.17.  I am having some problems now.  It seems that
> not all my settings are working.  Are there any changes that need to
> happen in the $HOME/.fvwm2rc file to allow my InitFunction or
> RestartFunction to work (they currently don't) with GNOME?

We like these discussions to stay on the fvwm list.

You can search for InitFunction in the fvwm2 man page and find that if you
run fvwm under a session manager (gnome-session in your case, I suppose),
SessionInitFunction is called instead. Or you can use StartFunction, which
is always called.

> How does one add FvwmPager to a GNOME panel?

It is possible by creating a swallowed app. You should start a pager in
StartFunction or using 'FvwmCommand FvwmPager' command of swallowed app
(start FvwmCommandS in StartFunction then). Use pager label as a title.

But I don't suggest this method, it is very problematic, a panel now
requires a FvwmPager (and fvwm) to be run and you don't see a pager
without a panel. I suggest to use a pager separately from a panel.
And a panel sometimes crashes for me when I want to swallow something.

Regards,
Mikhael.