Subject: FVWM: Gnome & fvwm: messages to gnome?

From: David Forrest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:55:04 -0400 (EDT)

One of the things I truly enjoy about fvwm is the ability to use
the keyboard.  I have not been able to figure out how to get gnome to do
anything useful with it.  Is there a way to make the Gnome menu activate
with from a fvwm command or key?

I really like things like my:

Key Escape      A       C       Popup "Utilities"
...
+ "&Applications     %mini-x2.xpm%"          Popup   Applications
+ "&Emacs%mini-edit.xpm%"        Exec emacs &

... and would like to trigger the Gnome menu also.  Does Gnome allow any
hooks into itself?  Or must one only access the menus only through the
point & click?

Dave
-- 
 Dave Forrest                                [email-masked]
 (804)296-7283h 924-3954w      http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:33:08 +0300

> hooks into itself?  Or must one only access the menus only through the

If you want to get native gnome menus using fvwm bindings, you need the
gnome-compliant fvwm version, i.e. the development one. Search the man
page for GnomeButton command.

If you want to get native fvwm menus, which launch gnome applications, you
probably will find the script fvwm-menu-desktop, installed by development
fvwm versions, useful (KDE also supported). Try 'man fvwm-menu-desktop'.

Please don't expect development versions to be bug free.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: David Forrest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, 
  I tried the 
       GnomeButton
              Used in conjunction with Mouse to pass mouse button
              presses on the root window to a GNOME program (such
              as GMC).  The following example passes  presses  of
              mouse buttons 1 and 3 to such a program.

                   Mouse 1 R A GnomeButton
                   Mouse 3 R A GnomeButton

but this looks like it passes Mouse (and maybe keypresses?) transparently.
And fvwm-menu-desktop looks closer, but makes me really believe that there
is no hook on the gnome side like:

# in my .fvwm2rc for Fvwm Version 2.3.15 :
AddToMenu "StartMenu"
+ "&Gnome Panel" Exec panel MainMenu::Activate
...

Bummer.  Basically, it looks like one uses this command to recreate all
the menus in fvwm.  I don't really know gnome, and it all it buys me is a
few new applications, maybe it isn't worth the effort involved in
learning it.  I'll give fvwm-menu-desktop a try and see what they have
though.

Thanks,

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 02:19:37 +0300

> but this looks like it passes Mouse (and maybe keypresses?) transparently.

You should also run a program, which will catch these presses.
Just have runned gmc, executed these commands (for me it is better to
substitute 'A' with 'S') and got buttons 1 and 3 working well on root.

> + "&Gnome Panel" Exec panel MainMenu::Activate

I suppose that the panel does not export their menus, thus you can only
popup panel's menus from the panel itself. You can use fvwm-menu-desktop
to create gtk menus, so they will look similarly to the panel's ones.

Regards,
Mikhael.