Subject: FVWM: 4 questions about fvwm

From: "Jake Holmen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 05:12:51 GMT

I know I may have had these answered before (in a roundabout way)
but if someone could answer them, I'd be grateful:

1) How do I find the .fvwm95rc file if there is not one in my /root
($HOME) as root?  I know it must be around somewhere....

2) How do I map a button to a command, and whack it in the"Programs" 
sub-menu (Start-->Programs)

3) how do I get Wharf to persistently start up, just like "config" desktop 
does in Redhat?

4) how do I get "Alt + Tab" (once I find .fvwm95rc file..!) to raise the 
next window to the front (like W95 does?) Currently it brings focus to the 
window (ie changes the title bar to blue) but doesn't bring it to the front, 
so I can't see the whole window behind the current one.

Thanks for all your help. - as far as the last question goes..
I fixed up the "halt" command for the users like I wanted to.. I took the 
easy way out for now, and mapped CTRL+ALT+DEL to halt (shutdown -h now) 
instead of reboot (reboot -r now) in /ect/innittab (thanks someone who 
suggested that!)
Cheers

J
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 16:13:26 +0930

> but if someone could answer them, I'd be grateful:
Firstly which fvwm version are you running? There are slight differences
between them.
> ($HOME) as root?  I know it must be around somewhere....
Second, fvwm95 is really old and no longer supported. The later versions
of fvwm use .fvwm2rc files for configuration. (BTW: running your X
server as root is a security risk! Don't do it! Start X as a user
instead.)
> sub-menu (Start-->Programs)
Menus and buttons are different.

AddToMenu Programs
+ "AppName"	Exec AppName

should work for most applications invoked from a menu.
For a button I'd recommend the "man FvwmButtons" command to read the
manual page for that module. Here's an example line from my config....

*FvwmButtons(1x1, Icon mini-isp.xpm, Action 'Exec kppp', Back grey55)

That line invokes kppp to dial-up my connection.

> 3) how do I get Wharf to persistently start up, just like "config" desktop
AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmWharf

Refer the man page for fvwm2 (man fvwm2).

> so I can't see the whole window behind the current one.
I use a function like...

DestroyFunc FocusAndWarp
AddToFunc FocusAndWarp I Focus
+                      I WarpToWindow 50 50

But that could also be....
DestroyFunc FocusAndRaise
AddToFunc FocusAndRaise I Focus
+                       I Raise

Then a couple of lines like...
Key Tab         A       M       Prev FocusAndWarp
Key Tab         A       MS      Next FocusAndWarp 
should do it.

There's some sample .fvwm2rc's in recent versions of fvwm source in the
sample.fvwmrc/ directory, including a working Win95 clone rc-file.

> Thanks for all your help. - as the last question goes..
Some "online" help for fvwm configs is available via Internet Relay
Chat, on EFNET servers, and channel #fvwm (linux help on #linuxhelp) 
I'm usually lurking thereabouts along with a few other fvwm users. :)

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 10:09:36 -0400 (EDT)

Jake, 
	I gather you're using RH__ which means that you are using their
AnotherLevel (AL) package...  So, depending on what you want to do I might
have a few answers for you.

>($HOME) as root?  I know it must be around somewhere....

If it is AL and RH then the default startup scripts tell FvwmM4 to put a
copy of the .fvwm2rc file in your /tmp directory.  To figure out which is
which look at the user. (it also erases them the next time you log in...)

>sub-menu (Start-->Programs)

If you want to run some executeable like say xv there is a simple way to
do it without hacking on the .fvwm2rc file.  Use wmconfig, or more
correctly stated use it better.  The menus are automatically generated by
a program called wmconfig and if you look at the directory 

/etc/X11/wmconfig/

you will find a bunch of files.  The man page describes the format.  For
mere users you can add to that set by creating a directory called
.wmconfig in your home directory and put a similar set of files in there.
This is what I typically do if I add a package which I'm the only person
likely to use it...

I should mention that it seems to me that the behaviour of this program
(wmconfig) is a little buggy since RH6.1 'cause it appears to be looking
in other directories as well such as the sub directories
of /etc/X11/applnk/ .  This is where all of the gnome stuff is kept.  Of
course none of this is mentioned in the man page...

>3) how do I get Wharf to persistently start up, just like "config" desktop 

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.  If you mean that you want the bar
on the right hand side of the screen which is FvwmWharf and acts like
Afterstep's thing then it's simple.  One way is to copy the file

/etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.init.m4

to your home directory and call it 
.fvwm2rc.init
Then edit this file adding this line to launch FvwmWharf to the
SetupFunction

AddToFunc "SetupFunction"
+ "I" Module  FvwmWharf
...

all done... Choose restart and it should be there...

>so I can't see the whole window behind the current one.

I can't remember the command for raising the next window, but it's just a
key binding and you should find a description of something like it in the
man page.  Again, if you want to continue to use the AL package all you
would need to do to keep things cleanly separated is to copy the file 

/etc/X11/AnotherLevel/fvwm2rc.keys.m4

to your home directory and call it .fvwm2rc.keys

and then insert the key maping in this file.  This is the sort of stuff I
did for my wife so that she could have things personalized...

Tom