Subject: FVWM: Help required.

From: "Jake Holmen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:08:31 GMT

Hi.   Dorky as this sounds, I would like to use FVWM2 as a W95 replacement - 
with some buttons mapped to different applications like Netscape - Gimp etc. 
    Could someone (with a well commented dotfile ; )
please send me a link to their dot file - with instructions as to where to 
store it, and the different pixmaps they have installed on their system.   I 
have downloaded some files that I thought would be useful
- the dotfile generator  (dotfile-2_4_1-1_noarch.rpm)
- the dotfile fvwm2 module (dotfile-fvwm2-1_1-1_noarch.rpm)
Also from the FVWM2 homepage (I think :)
I downloaded
- 3d pixmaps (3d_pixmaps_V1_21_tar.gz)
- Normal icons (icons_tar.gz)

If someone is using these icons successfully to have "shortcut icon menus"  
(Cant think of a better way to describe it) like in wharf, could they send 
me (off list if neccessary) a copy of the dotfile and where to put it.

Sorry if that sounds absurd, but I am trying to get my head around the 
different options to make fvwm2 usable for myself and my wife.

2nd Q.

IF someone can also send me the syntax of a "shutdown machine" button on 
their X-win desktop that would be cool.

For example - someone told me I could use 'sudo halt' and map it to a 
button.

Cheers.

J

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:21:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

As for the W95 emulation, one possibility is to use the AnotherLevel
Package from RedHat, or if you like I can log in once and choose the
Fvwm95 decors and send you the .fvwm2rc file.  (Can't promise on
documentation though...)

As for shutting down there are a couple of possibilities which have been
suggested in the past.  One is

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
how about just setting ctrl-alt-del to shutdown instead of reboot?

in your /etc/inittab do this:

instead of "ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now"
do "ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now"

(RH system, but it should be similar everywhere)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
or

Write a little shell script to run the shutdown command.

Install sudo on your system (see the man page, etc.)

Set up the sudoers config file to allow you, your wife, etc. to run that
script with root permissions.

Add a menu item to your FVWM root menu (or wherever) that invokes "sudo
/my/script/name".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or another option yet is to use gdm as your X-login interface instead of
xdm.  This has a halt and reboot option on the interface.  My wife already
rebooted my machine with this interface, got nervous when she saw all the
infomation and, "following directions", next thing she new she was in the
BIOS setup...

Tom

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:25:13 -0400

> different options to make fvwm2 usable for myself and my wife.

Using icons to launch things never made any sense to me.

This approach, using fvwmButtons comes close:

DestroyFunc Launcher
AddToFunc Launcher
+ I DestroyModuleConfig $0Launch.*
+ I *$0Launch.(Icon $1, Action `Exec $2`)
+ I *$0Launch.Pixmap none
+ I Module FvwmButtons $0Launch.
+ I Style $0Launch. HandleWidth 0

Launcher RXVT rxvt.xpm "rxvt -bg black -fg green"

This creates a "Launcher" macro that you call with an aritrary name,
the icon name and the command to execute.

You could add a geometry argument for placement.

I don't know how to get a title on it, "Style Title" didn't seem
to work.

> For example - someone told me I could use 'sudo halt' and map it to a 

If "sudo halt" works, then this should work too:

Launcher DANGER halt.xpm "sudo halt"

That won't   give  you a  confirm button.   You  might look   at using
FvwmForm, and  create  the   window  iconic.   The first  click  would
de-iconify, the second click could shutdown.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:56:43 -0400

Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Hi.   Dorky as this sounds, I would like to use FVWM2 as a W95 replacement 

Here's the latest version:

     # FvwmButtons icon launcher:
     DestroyFunc Launcher
     AddToFunc Launcher
     + I DestroyModuleConfig $0Launch.*
     + I *$0Launch.Geometry 64x68
     + I *$0Launch.Columns 1
     + I *$0Launch.Rows    4
     + I *$0Launch.Frame  0
     + I *$0Launch.(1x3+0+0, Icon $1, Action (Mouse 1) `Exec $2`)
     + I *$0Launch.Pixmap none
     + I *$0Launch.(1x1+0+3, Font 9x15, Fore White, Back DarkBlue, \
                    Title $0, Action (Mouse 1) `Exec $2`)
     + I Style $0Launch. HandleWidth 0, NoTitle
     + I Module FvwmButtons $3 $0Launch.
     # Examples:
     Launcher RXVT xterm.xpm "rxvt -bg black" "-g +0+0"
     Launcher XV   xv.xpm    "xv"   "-g +0+100"