Subject: FVWM: strange behavior with graphics programs

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:59:01 -0800

I ran into an unexpected problem when updating to fvwm 2.2.2 with my
SuSE 6.3 distribution.  FVWM2 has always worked in the past and I can't
quite figure out what to do now.  I'm no expert at this.

When loading some graphics programs, notably Gimp and Compupic, windows
in the mouse focus are colored properly, but those out of focus have
some really strange "reversed" colors.  In addition, after closing one
of these programs I have to restart FVWM2 because subsequent windows
come up without the border and in the upper left of the screen, making
them unusable.  I have tried two different graphics cards, one a plain
vanilla S3-Virge.  The behavior has me scratching my head because I've
run these programs for years without problems.

Does anyone know of a fix?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jan T. Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:59:13 +0100

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 07:59:01PM -0800, TJ wrote:
> some really strange "reversed" colors.

Probably, you use an X server that is able to display only a limited
amount of colors. In such cases, the X server uses the colors it can
display to show the window which has the focus in the colors it has
requested. As a consequence, all other windows are shown in random,
psychedelic false colors, and this pattern changes abruptly when the
keyboard focus is moved to another window -- a phenomenon known as
colormap flashing.

> In addition, after closing one
> them unusable.

I don't know about this one.

> I have tried two different graphics cards, one a plain

Did you try the cards without installing the corresponding X server? In
that case, you are likey using the generic VGA X server, which has only
16 colors. (This doesn't mean your card can't do better, just the plain
vanilla VGA X server never uses such capabilities, thix X server is
commonly used as a least common denominator for initial system installations
and the like.)

If you have used the X server for your card, try running it in true color
mode (``startx -- -bpp 24'' or ``startx -- -bpp 32''). If this doesn't
work, check your XF86Config file.

Since these issues are only indirectly related to fvwm, you might ask
your question on a SuSE or Linux related newsgroup or mailing list, as
people there may be able to give you more competent advice.

Greetinx, Jan
-- 
 +- Jan T. Kim -------------------------------------------------------+
 |             email: [email-masked]                           |
 |             WWW:   http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~kim/              |
 *-----=<  hierarchical systems are for files, not for humans  >=-----*
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:52:49 -0800

Okay, that information gave me enough information to root it out.  I
ended up going back to 16-bit (64K colors).  Thanks.