Subject: FVWM: eDaycare finds 52% think it's OK to spank a child

From: "eDaycare.com" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:16:34 -0800

=================================================================
         EDAYCARE SHOW AND TELL  --  MARCH 2, 2000
=================================================================
         News for Child Care Professionals and Parents
          ------ Published Weekly by eDaycare -------
                   http://www.edaycare.com
=================================================================

HELLO FROM EDAYCARE!

eDaycare is the leading online community for child care providers
and parents.  We offer many free services and tools, including a
database of more than 110,000 licensed child care centers, email
and websites, that help providers and parents find one another,
communicate better and keep informed. The eDaycare community also
provides updated news articles, important tips and resources
related to the child care industry. Visit www.eDaycare.com today!
_________________________________________________________________

MEMBERS' SPOTLIGHT

Congratulations to eDaycare member Ruth Egan!  Ruth will be
awarded $50 from eDaycare for her hilarious, true story. The full
article is now available on our website: http://www.edaycare.com.

Submitted by Ruth Egan

Horror at the Grocery Store

It was one of those days when nothing was going right.  As dinner
time approached, I found that I was out of milk and kitty food,
so I grabbed the kidlet and ran to the store. The store was full
of people stopping for the milk or bread on their way home from
work, and even the express lane had 15 people in line.  With the
milk jug in my hand, and my two and a half year old on my hip
holding the box of kitten food, I waited my turn...
(more: http://www.edaycare.com)
_________________________________________________________________

WE WANT YOUR STORIES!

Got an interesting story to tell about your child-rearing
experiences?  Has your kid done something funny lately?  Got a
tip for moms and dads? Know of any good children's books, toys,
videos or other products?  Ideas for rainy day activities? Send
your submissions to Mariam Morshedi, eDaycare's content manager,
at [email-masked].  If chosen for publication on our
website, you'll receive $50.
_________________________________________________________________

OPINION POLL

Last week's results:

52% of eDaycare members say it's OK to spank a child, while 48%
say it's never OK.

This week's poll:

Should children who commit serious crimes be tried as adults?

o yes
o no

Click here to vote: http://www.edaycare.com
_________________________________________________________________

FROM OUR BULLETIN BOARDS

High Turnover Rate!!!

As Assistant Director of a large center I am responsible for
hiring our staff and it is driving me crazy!!! We pay so little
good teachers are impossible to find, they can't afford  to work
for us. So we end up with aides with no education who actually
"forget" to come to work! This is my biggest headache. I
advertise at our local colleges but most of the students know
they can get better paying jobs with degrees. Does anyone have
any ideas?

Do you have the answer? Good advice? Click here to reply:
http://www.edaycare.com/msg/000302.html
_________________________________________________________________

NEWS AND TIPS

o Overcoming Shyness with Creativity

While most young children possess a wonderful lack of inhibition
and eagerness to try new experiences, some lack social confidence
and find unfamiliar people and places frightening. By fostering
and encouraging creative skills, you can help build your child's
confidence...
(More: http://www.edaycare.com)

o Program Trains Substitutes for Day-Care Teachers

...Through the GTCC Substitute Program, adults will learn how to
teach and care for children in day-care facilities. In turn,
their education will allow other day-care workers to leave their
post to further their own education, thus providing a higher
quality learning environment for the children they care for
each day...
(More: http://www.edaycare.com)

o Having Kids Can Pay Off at Tax Time

Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone
is writing a book. -- Cicero

Not much has changed in 2,000 years. Kids still don't listen, and
when they grow up, they write first-person essays for The New
Yorker about your Vienna sausage casserole...But one aspect of
child rearing has changed: the cost. The average family can expect
to spend $156,690 by the time a child reaches 17, according to
the Department of Agriculture.  That's just for food, health care
and sneakers. Toss in college tuition, and you're looking at
another $50,000 to $80,000 before you can turn junior's bedroom
into a yoga studio...
(More: http://www.edaycare.com)
_________________________________________________________________

EDAYCARE NEWS

eDaycare training sessions at the CAEYC conference, March 10-11,
in Sacramento, CA (booths 227-229) are quickly filling up! If
you're a child care provider and would like get your center a free
website, email account and other online tools please call
(toll free) 877-317-3329 today.
_________________________________________________________________

You received this email because you have signed up as an
eDaycare.com member or have requested a copy of our newsletter.
To automatically unsubscribe, please click here:
http://www.edaycare.com/unsubscribe.jsp?email=[email-masked]

eDaycare welcomes your comments and suggestions.  Please forward
to [email-masked].
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].