Subject: Re: FVWM: focus problem with multihead setup

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:28:57 +0100

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:38:29AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> I have a Matrox G400 board that allows my two 1280x1024 monitors to
> appear to the X server as a single 2560x1024 monitor. I would like
> crreated windows to popup on the monitor (=> which half of desktop) I
> initiate them from. They currently have a preference for the upper left
> corner.

This doesn't sound like the classical multi head setup.  Usually
you tell X to have two 'screens' (usually :0.0 and :0.1).  In the
'multi screen' case fvwm is started on the first screen and then
spawns copies on all other screens of the same display.  The copies
of fvwm don't know of each other's windows.  If you start and
application from screen 1 it's windows should always appear on the
same screen.

> Is there a method to use sloppy focus and still  bound the window to
> appear within some distance from the current cursor location?

This is on the wish-list, but not implemented yet.

> Or is there a way to make the desktop smaller that the screen size

No.

> and still use two desktops at the same time?

> The man page says you can have
> "multiple disjoint   desktops   which  can  be  used  separately  or
> together." I haven't been able to figure out how to implement this.

"multiple disjoint desktops" means that only one desktop is visible
at the same time.  To switch between desktops you use the GotoDesk
command (or the obsolete 'Desk' command).  The default desktop is '0'.
To switch to another desktop you can say 'GotoDesk 123987'.  The new
desktop will have no windows when you first make it visible (except
sticky windows).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].