Subject: FVWM: Restricting TaskBar to applications in current desktop?

From: Rohan Oberoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:54:31 -0500

Hi,

1. Does anyone know if it's possible to order the TaskBar to only show
   applications in the current virtual desktop (ie. FvwmPager mode)?

   (If I have 18 applications open in 3 desktops, I'd much rather have
   6 show up in each desktop's TaskBar, rather than all 18 in each
   desktop's TaskBar as currently happens).

2. Since I suspect from reading the man page that it is not possible
   to do that, is it possible to create a simulated TaskBar using
   FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan?  

   I have only the haziest idea about these functions, so I would be
   grateful for any answers (and fvwm2rc samples!)

Thanks very much,
Rohan.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 19:31:16 -0800

Previously from Rohan Oberoi
>   applications in the current virtual desktop (ie. FvwmPager mode)?

I don't think it's possible.

>   FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan?  

Sure. Depending upon how exact you want things, it's easy or hard to
do. Take a look at http://www.best.com/~mikehan/fvwm2rc.html and
fvwm2rc.tgz for an example of the same principle (though what I've
done is created two small FvwmIconMan instances, one of which is
showing current page and the other showing everything not on the
current page.

Anyway, the simplest example I can give you would probably look like
this:

*FvwmButtons( Swallow FvwmIconMan "Module FvwmIconMan" )
*FvwmIconMan*resolution desk

After that you'd need to start tuning things to look nice, put in the
Start button and clock, etc.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
A double negative is a no-no.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 07:09:07 +0100

>    applications in the current virtual desktop (ie. FvwmPager mode)?

It is not possible with the 2.2.x (or inferior) version. But, it is
possible with the devel version since 2.3.? (for fvwm-devel: NEWS does 
not mention this! and I've not found any entries about this in the
change log). So if you use your machine for fun try the latest devel
version 2.3.15 (current status: feature freeze beta, need help for
debugging!).

Olivier