Subject: FVWM: Wallpaper

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:34:39 -0800

How do I keep FVWM2 from loading any wallpaper at startup?  I like to
run xphoon, which is the moon phases in real time.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:57:55 -0500

> run xphoon, which is the moon phases in real time.

A default installation of FVWM2 doesn't load any wallpaper at startup.

The FvwmBacker module could be used to set a wallpaper.

Give us some details about the OS and configuration.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:57:01 -0800

Sorry.  I'm using SuSE Linux.  The default configuration supplied by the
distribution loads what looks to be a tiled grainy grey pattern.  I've
been adding xphoon as the last line in InitFunction and RestartFunction
and that works okay, but FVWM2 still loads the wallpaper first.  The
only references in the file resembling what you mentioned are like
these:

*FvwmBackerDesk 0 -solid steelblue
*FvwmBackerDesk 1 -solid midnightblue
*FvwmBackerDesk 2 -solid yellow...
etc., up to six.  The only reference to FvwmBacker other than that is a
menu item to a man page.

I assume this means six windows, all solid colors, overridden by the
tiled image.  I don't know the name of the tiled image and can't find it
on disk.

---

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:33:23 -0800

I'm familiar with the X default, and this isn't it.  This one has a
definite marble to it.

Dan Lowe wrote:
> 
> Generally, that description matches the state of the root window when /no/
> background has been applied - most X servers default to a fine grained
> black and white checkerboard pattern which looks like a "tiled grainy grey
> pattern".
> 
> HTH,
>  -dan
> 
> Previously, TJ said:

<snip>

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 17:08:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I think I'm coming in on the middle of this, but have you tried to grep
for xpmroot or say xsri.

I'm not familiar with the SuSe dist. but if you use FvwmM4 it is quite
useful to use the -debug flag, giving you a copy of the .fvwm2rc file
which was put together.  In this case you can simply grep for files with 
"image format" suffices.

Other things you could try is to simply grep for grey or gray since most
us lack much imagination when naming images for tiling.

If none of this works, then send a little more info. like if you are using
FvwmM4, or cpp to construct a .fvwm2rc file.   If so, one thing you can do
is to look at the paths used for icons and image tiles such as
PixmapPath and IconPath.  If Fvwm2 is putting the wallpaper up then it
should be located in one of these paths.

HTH,
Tom

---

From: TJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:17:14 -0800

Well folks, I'm embarrassed now.  It was in both InitFunction and
RestartFunction with the filename "wall_suse.xpm."  It couldn't have
been more obvious. :-)

Incidently, for those who haven't been exposed to the SuSE distro, they
really take some time with their default .fvwm2rc, even though this
isn't the default wm for the distro.  They include bundles of 3d icons
also.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].