Subject: Re: FVWM: Restricting TaskBar to applications in current desktop?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:23:30 -0500

Merci beaucoup (that's mercy buccops to you John!)

I considered upgrading to 2.3.* but decided to wait for a release
version.

In the meantime, (I use RedHat-6.1) I got the RPMs for fvwm2 and
fvwm2-icons from the RedHat-5.2 distribution tree, installed them with
--nodeps -Uvh, stuck "*FvwmTaskBarDeskOnly" in system.fvwm2rc, and now
the TaskBar works exactly as I want it to!

Exce-e-l-l-e-ent!  (I'm on the East coast, so I can't say that in the
right West coast way).  This is the fastest question-to-solution
turnaround time I've ever seen on a mailing list.

cheers
Rohan.

John Latham wrote:
>> From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
>> Rohan Oberoi wrote:
>> > 1. Does anyone know if it's possible to order the TaskBar to only show
>> >    applications in the current virtual desktop (ie. FvwmPager mode)?
>>
>> It is not possible with the 2.2.x (or inferior) version. But, it is
>> possible with the devel version since 2.3.? (for fvwm-devel: NEWS does 
>> not mention this! and I've not found any entries about this in the
>> change log). So if you use your machine for fun try the latest devel
>> version 2.3.15 (current status: feature freeze beta, need help for
>> debugging!).
>
>Curiously, it was possible with fvwm2-2.0.46-12.
>
>       *FvwmTaskBarDeskOnly
>              Tells FvwmTaskBar to show the windows that are only
>              on  the  current  desktop.    When   desktops   are
>              switched,  the list of windows changes accordingly.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (John Latham)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:46:26 GMT

> From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>

> Previously from John Latham
> >Why did it disappear later? - I'm just curious.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser. Only the manpage entry ever disappeared. All
> the code appears (from a cursory examination) still to be present.
>
> >Is it coming back in the same way?
>
> It'd be pretty trivial to add the entry back to the manpage... Maybe
> I'll submit the patch, unless someone else gets to it first. Anyway,
> the option still exists in the current betas, so I'm guessing it's
> always been there.

Hmm, curiouser still! It doesn't *work* (at least not for me) in
fvwm2-2.2.2-3.i386.rpm (as default in Red Hat 6.1 distribution). So maybe it's
omission from the man page (which still has the same date as in
fvwm2-2.0.46-12!) is not an accident....

The plot thickens!