Subject: FVWM: problems with FvwmButtons

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:31:50 -0800

Hi folks. I haven't kept as current as I'd like to with Fvwm2 versions,
but I just upgraded to 2.2.4 this weekend and have run across a problem
with FvwmButtons configuration that is making me pull my hair out. The
following lines worked in the previous 2.2.X beta version I was using
but completely break in the new version, yet the man page for
FvwmButtons doesn't seem to be much different than the last version I
used.

Here's one example. I have a verticle bar on the right side of the
screen. It's set up like this.

*VertButtonsGeometry -1+0
*VertButtonsColumns 1

then I have a clock in the top button, which used to launch plan when
clicked on. here's the line that defined it.

*VertButtons( Title foo, Swallow(NoTitle) "asclock" 'Exec asclock -12 -led Yellow &', Action 'Exec "plan"  plan  &' )

and another button that loaded Netscape with a shell wrapper, invoking
one version of netscape if the left button was pressed and another if
the right one was.

*VertButtons( Icon Jnetscape.xpm, Action(mouse 1) 'Exec "Netscape" /home/jhenders/bin/run.netscape &', \
Action(mouse 3) 'Exec "" /home/jhenders/bin/run.netscape4 &' )

Now when I try to run either of these, I get the following error and
nothing happens.

No such module 'Exec "plan" plan' in ModulePath '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm2'

Does anyone know what changed in the parsing of these lines and how I
could fix it?

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
            GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v
                 b+++ e* s-/+ n-(?) h++ f+g+ w+++ y*

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:14:33 +0100

> Does anyone know what changed in the parsing of these lines and how I

Uh, there's a syntax error in your config line that previous versions
seem to have ignored:

> *VertButtons( ... Action 'Exec "plan"  plan  &' )
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This line should do it:

  *VertButtons( ... Action 'Exec plan &' )

or 

  *VertButtons( ... Action 'Exec exec plan &' )

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:16:47 -0800

No, the first "plan" is the xproperties name of the window, which is how
FvwmButtons knows to pop the button back up. At least that's how it's
worked since it was GoodStuff.

Does anyone know how to get that little location button to show up in
the centre of the screen? The one that pops up when you move a window
which shows you the x+y coords? It used to be in the centre of my screen
but since the new version it's showing up in the top left. I can't find
a config option for it.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:21:15 -0500

> worked since it was GoodStuff.

Ancient history.

"Exec" no longer takes that argument.

> but since the new version it's showing up in the top left. I can't find

Search the man page for "feedback" window.
Its controlled by the menustyle.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:07:32 -0800

> "Exec" no longer takes that argument.

Hmm. I guess the man page is still out of date then, as it has the
following still listed

       The command
              Any  fvwm command is recognized by FvwmButtons. See
              fvwm(1) for more info on this. The Exec command has
              a  small extension when used in Actions, its syntax
              is here:

                Exec ["hangon"] command

              When FvwmButtons finds such an  Exec  command,  the
              button  will  remain pushed in until a window whose
              name or class matches the  qouted  portion  of  the
              command is encountered.

> Its controlled by the menustyle.

Actually it looks like it's been moved back to a global. I had mwm in
Menustyle and now I had to add an

Emulate mwm

As a global variable again.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:32:26 -0500

> Hmm. I guess the man page is still out of date then, as it has the

The man page is OK, its me.  Serves me right for attempting to answer
questions for a module I don't use.

> As a global variable again.

My fault again, forget I put a 2.2.5 fvwm2 manpage in my manpath.
(2.2.5 seems to use either.)