Subject: FVWM: 2.3.16 -- does not grant Eterm's -x option

From: Andrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:34:09 +0000 (GMT)

Eterm has a nice -x option, which causes it to have no borders, title or any
other 'beautification' from the window manager. This option worked OK up until
2.3.13 (which is the second to last of the devels I have compiled). I just
compiled 2.3.16 and the option ceased to work.

Also I tried using "Style <mytitle> NoHandles" shich did not work...
"Style <mytitle> NoTitle" left the border intact, even though it removed the
title (as it should)...

ANy suggestions? 

Andrey

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:13:39 -0800

Previously from Andrey
>compiled 2.3.16 and the option ceased to work.

Hmm, could you use FvwmIdent or xwininfo to determine if the window is
set Transient or Override Redirect when eterm runs with -x? I figure
that's likely to be the reason it can hint the window manager that it
doesn't want decorations.

>"Style <mytitle> NoTitle" left the border intact, even though it removed the

You could try setting "Style <mytitle> NakedTransient". If that
doesn't do it (which it wouldn't if the window isn't set transient),
you could try "Style <mytitle> NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0".
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Closed Mondays." The Walker Art Center
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:12:07 +0000

Andrey wrote:
> 
> Also I tried using "Style <mytitle> NoHandles" which did not work...

The width of the border around windows is set in two ways:
1) "Style <mytitle> HandleWidth N" by default, and if "Style <mytitle>
Handles" is specified.
2) "Style <mytitle> BorderWidth N" if "Style <mytitle> NoHandles" is
used or the client indicates that it shouldn't be resized.

Try "Style <mytitle> HandleWidth 0" instead of ".. NoHandles".

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Andrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:37:29 +0000 (GMT)

> used or the client indicates that it shouldn't be resized.

BorderWidth 0 fixed it, however it'd be nice if 2.3.16 granted the option as
2.3.13 did -- whenever a window wants to have no title it should be able to do
so :) Is this a bug or a feature? :)
> Tim.

Thanx: Andrey

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 15:04:16 +0000

> so :) Is this a bug or a feature? :)

The fact the Eterm could make borders disappear in 2.3.13 is a
mis-feature of Eterm. It used to work because the window borders were a
direct ancestor of the Eterm window and it fails now because they are
now an aunt.

If an X program wants a borderless window it can use the Motif or
OpenLook window manager hints (which have been working for years).
Admittedly, it can't switch the borders on and off once it has started.

Cheers,
Tim.