Subject: FVWM: Re: Problems compiling on Solaris

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:23:46 +0000

Danek Duvall wrote:
>     CFLAGS=-O LDFLAGS=-R$prefix/lib PERL=/usr/bin/perl \
>     ./configure --prefix=$prefix \
>     --with-xpm-library=$prefix/lib --with-xpm-includes=$prefix/include \
>     --with-readline-library=$prefix/lib --with-readline-includes=$prefix/include

  I use the follwing with no probs. (using Solaris's ld):

env CPPFLAGS=-I/home/nabird/opt/include CFLAGS=-O2  \
    LDFLAGS="-R/home/nabird/opt/lib -s"  \
configure  \
   --prefix=/home/nabird/opt  \
   --with-xpm-library=/home/nabird/opt/lib  \
   --with-xpm-includes=/home/nabird/opt/include  \
   --with-rplay-library=/home/nabird/opt/lib  \
   --with-rplay-includes=/home/nabird/opt/include  \
   --with-readline-library=/home/nabird/opt/lib  \
   --with-readline-includes=/home/nabird/opt/include  \
   --enable-extras

  Try including the equivalent values for CPPFLAGS's -I and LDFLAGS's -R
(or -L); they may cause those dirs. to appear early enough in the command
to work.

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |            This .signature is
    mailto:[email-masked]  |          certified Y2K compliant
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Hal Haygood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 13:33:38 -0500 (EST)

I didn't receive the original message, but here's how I built it (for
/usr/local installation as root -- I own the box).  I got a prebuilt
libXpm, built readline and rplay myself, then did this.  Hang on to your
hat:

LDOPTS="-R/usr/local/lib" \
./configure \
--with-x \
--x-includes=/usr/openwin/include \
--x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib \
--with-xpm-library=/usr/local/lib/libXpm.so \
--with-xpm-includes=/usr/local/include \
--with-rplay-library=/usr/local/lib/librplay.so \
--with-rplay-includes=/usr/local/include \
--with-readline-library=/usr/local/lib/libreadline.a \
--with-readline-includes=/usr/local/include \
--enable-extras \
--without-cxx 

LDOPTS="-R/usr/local/lib" make
make install

I'm using Solaris 8EA, with the stock make and ld, and gcc 2.95.2 from
sunfreeware.com.  I had a lot of trouble with one of the extra modules,
which went away with the --without-cxx option.  The LDOPTS bit is so that
I don't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Anyways, that's what worked for me.  It runs beautifully.  If you need
more assistance, please email me privately and I'll give you more details
about the other libs I used.

Hal