Subject: FVWM: Using FvwmAnimate

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 09:35:44 -0500

I am trying to use FvwmAnimate. These are the setting in my .fvwm2rc

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+                           "I" Module FvwmAnimate

AddToFunc "RestartFunction"
+                           "I" Module FvwmAnimate

*FvwmAnimateEffect Zoom3D
*FvwmAnimateIterations 12
*FvwmAnimateWidth 1
*FvwmAnimateTwist 0.500000
*FvwmAnimateDelay 1
*FvwmAnimateColor Gold2

What is this module supposed to do? I have wide references to it's
use but I do not see any extra functions from fvwm2. The ModulePath
is point to the right directory.

Any help appreciated to get this feature working.

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
[email-masked]
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 10:19:13 -0500

> is point to the right directory.

When you iconify or deiconify a window, FvwmAnimate draws lines on the
root window between the window and the icon.

If you are using a 2.2 version of fvwm and you are using an icon manager
instead of the root window icons, you won't see anything.

In the 2.3 betas, additional configuration would be needed to get animation
with the icon managers.

If you have a very fast machine, you may have to increase the line width
or iterations.  The effect may be going by too fast for you to see anything.
Try a line width of 16 and work down.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:40:32 -0500

> Try a line width of 16 and work down.

I am using the IconManager, yet I don't see any on the FvwmAnimate features.
It could be because of the fvwm2 version 2.2.4.

When I try to restart my fvwm2 session, for the changes to take effect, why
is my fvwm session terminating?

Any clues please?

Subba Rao
[email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 13:48:20 -0500

> It could be because of the fvwm2 version 2.2.4.

"Could be" is not correct.

Thats definitely the reason.

> is my fvwm session terminating?

Someone else will have to help you with this one.  I'm not familiar with
your setup.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 14:39:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

>is my fvwm session terminating?

I can only offer personal experience.  Usually I make incremental changes
to my configuration files.  Sometimes (i.e. usually) I make an error in
what I type in or I would just guess at something which might work and
find that it doesn't (like what I was trying a while ago with switching
decors).  Occasionally this causes my login session to terminate and
return me to xdm or simply hang (for at least long enough for me to know
that I did something wrong).  Are you redirecting errors to a file?  Have
you tried loging into a virtual terminal i.e. not starting fvwm and
checking out what the errors tell you?  Have you tried using a simple
.fvwm2rc file to see if the problem still persists or if it might be
something in your present configuration file which is causing the problem?
All I can suggest is that you play around a little to see what the
behavior of the problem is.

Sorry I couldn't help more,

Tom

---

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 18:04:19 -0500

> Someone else will have to help you with this one.  I'm not familiar with

I found out why my system has been existing each time I restart. The fvwm2 has a "-d"
option, which I thought was the debug option. Wrong. It was for the DISPLAY variable.
For debug, you have to explicitly spellout the "-debug" for fvwm2.

Subba Rao
[email-masked]