Subject: FVWM: Edge Flipping

From: Ben Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:08:36 -0600

Is there a way to enable edge flipping only when I'm dragging a window?
I hate accidentally flipping with the mouse, but want to drag windows
between desktops.

-- 
Ben Sinclair
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:54:36 -0800

Previously from Ben Sinclair
>I hate accidentally flipping with the mouse, but want to drag windows

Take a look at the manpage entry for EdgeResistance. It allows you to
define resistance for regular mouse movement and window movement
separately.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"I will not be a snickerpuss." - Lisa
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Ben Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:06:18 -0600

> define resistance for regular mouse movement and window movement

I've played around with EdgeResistance, but what I want to do is flip
pages only when I'm dragging a window. If I set the first parameter to
something large and the second to something small, it lets me drag them
off the screen but doesn't flip pages.

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:15:26 -0800

it can be done, that's how my setup works:

EdgeScroll 0
0                                                                  
EdgeResistance 400 0

  relevant parts of manpage:

EdgeResistance scrolling moving
...Note that, with "EdgeScroll 0 0", it is still  possible to  move  or 
resize  windows  across  the  edge of the current screen.
...

EdgeScroll horizontal vertical
...If you don't want any paging or scrolling when you hit the edge of a
page include "EdgeScroll 0 0" in your .fvwm2rc file, or possibly 
better,  set the EdgeThickness to zero.
...

  I'm using 2.2.4 on solaris and something close to 2.2.4 mon linux, it
works on both (mouse does not change viewport unless you move/resize
windows).

	erik

---

From: Ben Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:29:59 -0600

Erik Steffl wrote:
> EdgeScroll 0 0

Thanks! That did the trick.

I'm having a little problem with something else now. This is a Windows
alt-tab style window focus flipper. I want it to skip certain things. In
this setup, it skips Gaim and the panel, but it doesn't skip XMMS.

Next [CurrentPage !Iconic !Sticky !Gaim !XFCe*Panel !xmms] RaiseNFocus

In this example it skips xmms and the panel, but not Gaim. Any ideas?

Next [CurrentPage !Iconic !Sticky !xmms !Gaim !XFCe*Panel] RaiseNFocus

---

From: Fuzzy Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:06:33 -0600

Ben Sinclair <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> 
> I'm having a little problem with a Windows alt-tab style window focus
> flipper. I want it to skip certain things. In this setup, it skips
> Gaim and the panel, but it doesn't skip XMMS.

> Next [CurrentPage !Iconic !Sticky !Gaim !XFCe*Panel !xmms] RaiseNFocus

In my opinion it's better to do this sort of thing using the
"CirculateSkip" style.  windows marked with this style won't show up as
the target of a "Next" or "Prev" command, so those commands are more
suitable for focus-flipping.  Here's how I do it in my config:

    Style "Netscape"	CirculateSkip,NoPPosition
    Style "xmmix"	CirculateSkip,NoPPosition
    Style "r?player"	CirculateSkip
    Style "xawtv"	CirculateSkip
    Style "XMcd"	CirculateSkip
    Style "kxicq"	CirculateSkip,Sticky
    Style "mxaudio"	CirculateSkip
    Style "xconsole"    CirculateSkip,WindowListSkip
    Style "vrc"		CirculateSkip,Sticky
    Style "kradio"	CirculateSkip,Sticky
    Style "xplaycd"	CirculateSkip,Sticky
    Style "phone"	CirculateSkip,Sticky,NoHandles
    Style "xpostit"	CirculateSkip,Sticky,NoHandles,NoTitle,WindowListSkip,BorderWidth 0
    Style "oclock"	CirculateSkip,Sticky,NoHandles,NoTitle,WindowListSkip,BorderWidth 0
    Style "PostItNote"	CirculateSkip,Sticky,WindowListSkip

These are all the window types I want to avoid focusing on.  Then, my
Alt-Tab binding is a simple function:

    Key Tab	A	M	Function NextWindow
    Key Tab	A	SM	Function PrevWindow

    AddToFunc NextWindow	"I" Next (!Iconic CurrentDesk) Focus
    +				"I" Current Raise

    AddToFunc PrevWindow	"I" Prev (!Iconic CurrentDesk) Focus
    +				"I" Current Raise

Whatcha think?

-- 
   [email-masked] (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                 -- Life Lessons
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].