Subject: FVWM: Help with FvwmEvent

From: Subba Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 09:33:27 -0500

I am switching from FvwmAudio to FvwmEvent. FvwmAudio worked briefly but after
reading through the man pages, FvwmEvent is the newer replacement, I decided to
go with FvwmEvent. I followed the instructions in the man page for FvwmEvent.
My .fvwm2rc entries are:

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+                           "I" Module FvwmEvent

AddToFunc "RestartFunction"
+                           "I" Module FvwmEvent

DestroyMenu "Module-Popup"
AddToMenu "Module-Popup"
+ "Event (aka Audio)"                   Module FvwmEvent

# Audio Sounds
*FvwmEventCmd builtin-rplay
*FvwmEventDelay 1
*FvwmEvent startup /usr/share/sounds/start.wav
*FvwmEvent shutdown /usr/share/sounds/stop.wav

This configuration is not doing anything. Most puzzling for now is, how
does FvwmEvent know the location of the sound files? Is FvwmEvent limited
to AU files only? Does it play WAV files? I have explicitly mentioned the
sound files path and yet it does not work. What modifications do I need to
make to make FvwmEvent work?

TIA.

Subba Rao
[email-masked]
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:06:03 -0500 (EST)

>make to make FvwmEvent work?

Did you compile fvwm2, linking in rplay support?  If not you will not hear
anything.  If not you can use any other player, like wavplay if you use
wav files or sox if you want something more versatile, with possible
errors playing wav files...  I think that rplay will play wav files.  Just
to see if it works try this...

AddToFunc "myplay" "I" Exec exec SOUND_COMMAND SOUND_DIR$0 

*FvwmEventCmd myplay
*FvwmEventDelay 1
*FvwmEvent startup start.wav
*FvwmEvent shutdown stop.wav
...
*FvwmEvent destroy_window drip.wav
...

If you use FvwmM4 then you can use the following defines with the
appropriate path or just hard code it into the function above.

define(`SOUND_DIR',`/usr/share/sounds/')
define(`SOUND_COMMAND',`/usr/bin/play')

Tom