Subject: FVWM: fvwm2 on solaris 7

From: babu chakrapani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:24:19 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I installed fvwm2 under solaris 7. when I run fvwm2,

I get an error 

[FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> can't open display
<hostname:0.0>

I have set the display variable and dont see what the
problem is..

I can run openwin successfully..

Also I installed fvwm using --prefix=/home/sam
option..
copied the sample fvwm2rc file to /home/sam/.fvwm2rc.

Thanks in advance,
-BC
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 19:02:14 -0500

> [FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> can't open display

Is the name of your machine "hostname"?  I'm guessing it isn't.

You should always tell us what version of fvwm you are using.
I'm going to assume 2.2.4, our latest non-beta.
I doubt it matters.

The display name gets to fvwm either thru the "-d" command line
argument, or thru X Library functions.  According to my 2.6 man pages,
the X Library functions use $DISPLAY.

> I have set the display variable and dont see what the

Make sure that $DISPLAY is "exported" (not just  set) before fvwm gets
invoked.

> I can run openwin successfully..

They are both invoked thru your .xinitrc?

> copied the sample fvwm2rc file to /home/sam/.fvwm2rc.

How you installed fvwm should not matter.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].