Subject: FVWM: FvwmCommand: get screen width?

From: "Riswick, J.G.A.v." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:24:35 +0100

Hi!

With FvwmCommand it's possible to pipe information about 
windows (like the window's position) into a shell script.
Now my question: is it also possible to get other types 
fvwm-information, like the screen width, or the desktop size?

regards,

Jos.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:32:35 -0800

Previously from "Riswick, J.G.A.v."
>fvwm-information, like the screen width, or the desktop size?

For the time being, I don't think you can't get that, except by some
really godawful hacks:

AddToFunc _SendScreenSize
+ I GotoPage 1 1
+ I FvwmPipe "Screen $x $y" # I don't use FvwmPipe, but you get the idea
+ I GotoPage prev

N.B. this only works if your DesktopSize is at least 2x2. Whatever
parses the screensize should be on the lookout for $x or $y == 0.

A much better approach would be to introduce two more builtin
variables like Vx and Vy which would be the dimensions of the screen.
Having access to raw $x and $y is less helpful since they don't tell
you the page you're on. See the man page if you don't know what $x and
$y return.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"How can someone with glasses that thick be so stupid?" - Bart
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].