Subject: FVWM: news - eazel

From: Nadim Shaikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:34:22 -0800 (PST)

Saw this in the news.

Anyone looking at this from an Fvwm prospective (its open source) ?  I wonder
what window manager they are using or what their plans in this area are.

 - Nadim

Apple, AOL veterans making Linux easy --

Veterans of Apple Computer and America Online are setting their sights on
the Macintosh equivalent of Linux--in other words, a version of Linux your
mother could use.

A start-up called Eazel (www.eazel.com) is at work on a graphical user
interface (GUI) for Linux that founders say will extend to every aspect
of the Linux computing experience. The project is an extension of the
Gnome user interface.

With the current Gnome and the competing KDE user interfaces for Linux, it's
still hard to avoid typing in commands, an activity notoriously unpalatable
to average users. Though showing some signs of growth for desktop use, Linux
still is used predominantly on servers. (C/net)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Erik Steffl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:25:07 -0800

since they are using gnome I would say they are:

  1) using enlightenment (I'd say they'll go with this)

  2) don't care about the wm (that's kinda hard to believe)

  3) write their own wm (that's logical too, sice wm is prominent part
of user interface, but then again, there's a lot of existing WMs that
work OK and can be configured to be as easy to use as neccessary).

  they say their first effort is shell/file manager, which I guess can
be fairly independent of wm (unless it's written by certain company that
just loves integration:-)

	erik

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:45:59 +0100

>   1) using enlightenment (I'd say they'll go with this)

GNOME is moving away from E (and E is moving away from GNOME) and
Sawmill is gaining grounds instead since it's much leaner and faster...

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].