Subject: FVWM: pan frames

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:17:22 -0330 (NST)

Hello,

Just a quick question: what are Pan frames? The keyword appears only
once in the fvwm2 man page under EdgeThickness but does not say what
they are. What's the difference between EdgeThickness 1 and 2?

Thanks,

Neil
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:06:51 -0800

Previously from Neil Zanella
>they are. What's the difference between EdgeThickness 1 and 2?

In order to enable page scrolling via the mouse, four windows called
the "pan frames" are placed at the very edge of the screen. This is
how fvwm detects the mouse's presence at the window edge. Because of
the way this works, they need to be at the top of the stack and eat
mouse events, so if you have any kind of error along the lines of:
"mouse clicks at the edge of the screen do the wrong thing" you're
having trouble with the pan frames and (assuming you don't use the
mouse to flip between pages) should set the EdgeThickness to 0.

I'm not sure what the difference between 1 and 2 is WRT EdgeThickness,
but I believe that sometimes 1 or 2 can mitigate certain problems.

Hmm. Having just read the manpage entry for EdgeThickness, I don't
really think I've said anything that's not in there... Did this help?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
Why do we still live here in this repulsive town? All our friends are in New
York." Stephen Merritt
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:44:24 -0330 (NST)

> really think I've said anything that's not in there... Did this help?

Yes this really clarifies things. The first two sentences of your explanation
could probably added to the man page as they define the term "pan frames".
The rest about the errors occurring at the edge of the screen would
proably be a suitable addition to the Fvwm FAQ.

Thanks,

Neil