Subject: FVWM: Netscape 4.7 source window not managed by fvwm2

From: "Jan T. Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:22:42 +0100

Dear all,

recently, I installed fvwm 2.2.4 on a Compaq (formerly DEC) Alpha
workstation running OSF1 V4.0e. All works well -- the system looks &
feels like my Linux box...  ;-)  except one little quirk: When I
display a HTML source window with netscape communicator 4.7, the
window appears is not managed by FVWM at all after initial placement.
It receives no decorations, thus I cannot move / raise / lower /
iconify etc. the window using the standard mouse operations. The
window can be iconized with FvwmIconMan, though, and it can be
deleted by invoking FVWM's delete function via a popup menu.

Does anyone else know this effect -- and does anyone know what the
causes are, or what I should try to fix this?

Greetinx & thanx in advance, Jan
-- 
 +- Jan T. Kim -------------------------------------------------------+
 |             email: [email-masked]                           |
 |             WWW:   http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~kim/              |
 *-----=<  hierarchical systems are for files, not for humans  >=-----*
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:59:54 -0500

> causes are, or what I should try to fix this?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "HTML Source window", but if its a
window popped up by Netscape, then you may want to look at
"DecorateTransients" in the man pages.

If its just a case of all Netscape windows lacking decoration,
then I would expect something like:

Style "Netscape*" NoTitle, HandleWidth 0

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:11:10 +0100

> > deleted by invoking FVWM's delete function via a popup menu.

That you can iconify the window proves that the window is indeed
managed.  Dan is probably right - for some reason the window is
not decorated.

> I'm not sure what you mean by a "HTML Source window",

I guess he means the window you get with 'View page source'
entry from the right mouse button menu over a html window.

> but if its a

You can check if the window is transient with the FvwmIdent module.
(simply start it, select the window and look for the line
'Transient:     Yes/No').

> Style "Netscape*" NoTitle, HandleWidth 0

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Jan T. Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:57:06 +0100

> managed.

True -- I must admit that I didn't choose the wording in the subject
100% accurately. Also, the initial placement interaction indicates
management, of course.

> entry from the right mouse button menu over a html window.

Yep.

> (simply start it, select the window and look for the line

No, it's not the transient window handling, described in the FAQ. The
"Find" dialog box receives standard decorations.

> > Style "Netscape*" NoTitle, HandleWidth 0

No, it wasn't this -- I found the line that causes the trouble:

    Style "*"  MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, HintOverride

After commenting this out, the "View Source" window of netscape
receives normal decorations. With a little more experimentation, I
found out that the "MWMDecor" style option is responsible for the
problem. As I don't know about MWM and its particular decoration
behaviour, I still don't fully understand why the HTML source window
of all netscape windows elicits this effect. Perhaps, there's
something unclean in the netscape code that causes uninitialized
garbage to be passed as window manager flag arrays...?

I must admit that I "inherited" the trouble making line from the system
default fvwm2 startup file that came with my Linux distribution, and I
just put this ~/.fvwm2rc file (which I modified quite extensively, yet
without looking at all the "inherited" stuff in detail) from the Linux
box mentioned above to the Alpha workstation.

Thanks to all who replied.

Greetinx, Jan