Subject: Re: FVWM: Quit does not really quit ?

From: Elliot Sowadsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:41:32 -0800 (PST)

< > When I choose "Yes, really quit" , the fvwm exits partially by removing
< > the destop buttons , menus etc, but the applications that I have been
< > running still remain up, and I have to close them myself. even after
< > that the Xsession does not close, and I have to kill this process from
< > another machine by rlogging into the original machine.
< >< 
< Please mention the version of fvwm you are using and a little aboout the
< OS you are using.
< 
< I'm going to assume you are starting fvwm with a ".xinitrc".
< 
< At least one command in the ".xinitrc" has to hold the "X session",
< that is, it doesn't exit.
< 
< Some people use the window manager for that, others use a program
< like xlogout, or xconsole.  Any program that doesn't exit until you
< tell it to will do.
< 
< Take a look at your .xinitrc and notice which programs are backgrounded,
< and which programs are run in the foreground.

I've hit a similar problem exitting from 224 or 2311 (solaris2.5 started
from .xinitrc).
Quitting kicks me out of the windowing environment but not back to the
prompt, I noticed while logged in on another machine that there was one
windowing prcoess still running. Killing it didnt help. Killing every
process i own didnt help. I had to reboot.
Perhaps fvwm should kill -9 any windowing process that refuses to die
gracefully.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].