Subject: FVWM: FvwmForm

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:24:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm getting a segmentation fault from FvwmForm which only occurs when the
number of items grows to become comparable to the MAX_ITEMS definition in
FvwmForm.c.

In fact changing this 

/* tba: use dynamic buffer expanding */
#define MAX_LINES 16
#define MAX_ITEMS 64

to this

/* tba: use dynamic buffer expanding */
#define MAX_LINES 26
#define MAX_ITEMS 84

gets rid of the problem.  So, the problem must be occuring in the dynamic
memory allocation.  (This idea is born out from using gdb.) 
Is anyone familiar enough with this code to be able to
track down this bug without having to learn it in it's entirety (sp?) like
I would?  If not, I will try to take a stab at it.

Tom

Oh yeah...  This occurs with both fvwm2.2.2 and fvwm2.2.4 .

_________________________________________________________________________
Thomas Gardiner
[email-masked]

University of Rochester
Department of Physics and Astronomy
P. O. Box 270171
Rochester, NY 14627-0171

(716) 275-9625 Office 2
(716) 275-0537 Office 1
(716) 275-8527 fax
__________________________________________________________________________

The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it
because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature
were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.- Henri Poincare
__________________________________________________________________________

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:59:42 -0500

> Oh yeah...  This occurs with both fvwm2.2.2 and fvwm2.2.4 .

In the 2.3.x series, all of the limits in FvwmForm are removed.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:16:20 -0500 (EST)

Previously...

>In the 2.3.x series, all of the limits in FvwmForm are removed.

So then do you, Dan, suggest that I simply use my down and dirty hack for
now and wait for the 2.3.x series since the memory managment issue is
apparently managed in a different way?

Tom

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:37:24 -0500

> apparently managed in a different way?

Yes.

The changes to FvwmForm are too extensive to put into the 2.2.x series.
Just making the hard coded numbers larger should suffice for the 2.2.x
series.

Right now we don't have a definite plan for 2.2.5 but if you like you can
send me the numbers you needed to increase and if we do create a 2.2.5
I'll try to get them in.

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:02:08 -0500 (EST)

>send me the numbers you needed to increase and if we do create a 2.2.5

Dan, the numbers in this e-mail above.  The problem occurs when using an
AnotherLevel option to include a form for accessing the possible
screensaver options for which there are some 70 or so...

Tom