Subject: FVWM: Config Questions

From: Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 03:14:15 -0500

I have to admit that it's been ages since I last used fvwm.  However,
I'm thinking of switching back, mostly because I'm getting tired of a
lot of the bloat that's going around in the newer window managers and
because I'm intrigued by some of fvwm's new features.

So, I'm hoping that some kind soul(s) will be able to answer some of my
questions.

1. Is it possible for desktops to remember which of their windows was in
focus?  That way if I jump from desktop to desktop, the window which had
focus before will have focus again, regardless of where the mouse is.

2. I've noticed support for gtk and imlib in the lastest snapshots.  Is
it possible to have "more graphical" titlebars now?  Something like one
that is only half or a third as wide as the window.

Thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 302.593.4322               ||  matter of life or death...
email: [email-masked]          ||  ...It's much more important
                                  ||  than that!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:06:28 +0000

Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
> focus?

Yes, but it takes some functions and it can lose track if you use the
Focus command instead of the FlipFocus command.  Here's how I do it, I
don't use virtual pages, just multiple desks and I use Sloppy Focus. Any
other combinations may not work. This also relies on having a sticky
FvwmButtons so that when switching desks the cursor does not land on a
random window. Alt-F9 to Alt-F12 will swith between desks 0-3.

DeskTopSize 1 1

Style * SloppyFocus

DestroyFunc my_home
AddToFunc my_home I Next (FvwmButtons CirculateHit) WarpToIndow 50 50

DestroyFunc my_flipfocus
AddToFunc my_flipfocus  I Iconify Off
+                       I WindowShade Off
+                       I FlipFocus
+                       I Raise
+                       I WarpToWindow 50 50

DestroyFunc my_gotodesk
AddToFunc my_gotodesk   I my_home
+                       I Desk 0 $0
+                       I Prev (CurrentDesk !Iconic) my_flipfocus

Key F9          A       M       my_gotodesk 0
Key F10         A       M       my_gotodesk 1
Key F11         A       M       my_gotodesk 2
Key F12         A       M       my_gotodesk 3

This will fall apart if any command results in a "Next Focus" as that
will scramble the windowlist order.  If you want to see the windowlist
in action run FvwmWinList
as a sticky window with the *FvwmWinListFollowWindowList option.

> that is only half or a third as wide as the window.

GTK/Imlib is only used in the FvwmGtk module which does menus and forms,
it does not do window decoration. Fvwm doesn't do shaped title bars.
"more graphical"? well, with AddTitlestyle you can add layer upon layer
of shaped pixmaps to the titlebar to get very complex looks. About the
only this you can't do is to stretch pixmaps and shape the window
border.

Cheers,
Tim.