Subject: FVWM: Multiple screens

From: "Rob O'Leary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:49:57 +0000

Hi

In the 'features' list on the web site, multi - screen support is
listed. However, I could find no reference to it in the FAQ or anywhere
else obvious. Can you point me in the right direction?

What I would like to do is be able to push a window from 1 screen onto
another and have it partially displayed on both screens if I choose. Is
this possible?

Thanks
Rob
-- 
-------------------------------------------
The Information contained in this e-mail and any 
subsequent correspondence is private and is intended
solely for the intended recipient(s).  For those
other than the intended recipient any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or any action taken or 
omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:08:40 +0100

> else obvious. Can you point me in the right direction?

If you have multiple screens configured for X, fvwm starts on
all of them automatically.

> another and have it partially displayed on both screens if I choose. Is

No.  X doesn't allow windows windows to switch between different
screens.  Even if it did, the application itself had to know
about the screen switch.  Sorry.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 2000 12:31:10 -0500

>> another and have it partially displayed on both screens if I choose. Is

  dv> No.  X doesn't allow windows windows to switch between different
  dv> screens.  Even if it did, the application itself had to know
  dv> about the screen switch.  Sorry.

Well, that's not strictly true depending on what you mean by "screen".
If you mean multiple physical screens, X _can_ do this, but in order for
it to work you have to be running one X server that treats all the
screens as one large bit of real-estate.  The applications all think
it's a normal screen (just a really wide--or tall--one :) and the X
server determines what pixels get drawn on each screen given the
geometry.  I've seen this done before, where you can move the mouse,
windows, etc. between screens.

At any rate, this obviously isn't within the purview of the window
manager (or any other application).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:41:01 -0800

Previously from "Paul D. Smith"
>manager (or any other application).

Right. Macs have always been able to do this, and the Xinerama
extension in XFree86 4.0 (upcoming) is going to do it too. Pretty
neat. Doesn't allow some of the funny stuff the Mac did, like
different visuals on each screen! So weird to move items between an
8-bit dpy and a 1-bit... Freaky. Oh look, we've wandered way off
topic.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"If you lend me some money, it'll be my treat."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].