Subject: FVWM: Quit does not really quit ? and Icon placement.

From: Reshma Acharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:00:11 +0530

Hi,

I have a problem with the quit fvwm. I have the following in my .fvwm2rc
file 

AddToMenu Quit-Verify 	"Really Quit Fvwm?" Title
+		      	"Yes, Really Quit"  Quit
+		      	"Restart Fvwm"	    Restart /usr/local/bin/fvwm2
+		      	"Start twm"         Restart twm
+		      	"Start mwm"    	    Restart mwm
+	      	      	"Start olwm"        Restart /usr/openwin/bin/olwm
+		        "Start tvtwm"       Restart vtwm
+		      	"Start dummy"       Restart xterm -sb
+		      	""		    Nop
+		      	"No, Don't Quit"    Nop

When I choose "Yes, really quit" , the fvwm exits partially by removing
the destop buttons , menus etc, but the applications that I have been
running still remain up, and I have to close them myself. even after
that the Xsession does not close, and I have to kill this process from
another machine by rlogging into the original machine. 

I searched the FAQ, manual, and the mailing list archive but did not
find a solution.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong ?

Also Is there a way to line up the icons automatically to one side of
the visible screen ? SnapAttraction and SnapGrid are for bringing the
icons/windows together when they are close together. and I don't want to
use icon boxes. I mean either ther musst be  an option which tells all
the icons to go to the left side (or whatever ) of teh screen (like in
dtwm for CDE)
OR
something to rearrange the icons on the desktop when they are scattered
all over the desktop. 
-- 
Best Regards,
Reshma.

Email - [email-masked]
Phone - 91-80-5099343

-----00oo00------------o0o-------------00oo00-----
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 06:31:11 -0500

> Can anyone tell me where I went wrong ?

Please mention the version of fvwm you are using and a little aboout the
OS you are using.

I'm going to assume you are starting fvwm with a ".xinitrc".

At least one command in the ".xinitrc" has to hold the "X session",
that is, it doesn't exit.

Some people use the window manager for that, others use a program
like xlogout, or xconsole.  Any program that doesn't exit until you
tell it to will do.

Take a look at your .xinitrc and notice which programs are backgrounded,
and which programs are run in the foreground.

> something to rearrange the icons on the desktop when they are scattered

The "Style * IconBox, IconGrid, IconFill" commands control the placement
of desktop icons.

Currently, there is no way to draw a grid on the screen and move all the
icons into it.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Reshma Acharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 17:28:38 +0530

Dan,

I work on Sun Solaris 2.6 machine with CDE sitting on it by default.. I
am using fvwm2.2

I did not know how to start fvwm from .xinitrc , so I read the CDE
documentation and put a line in my /$USER/.dt/sesions/home/dt.resources
file  as follows - 

dtsession*wmStartupCommand:     /usr/local/bin/fvwm2

So whenever I login from CDE login screen fvwm2 is started instead of
dtwm. Can you please tell me what to do so that I can logout using the
Quit in fvwm ?

-- 
Best Regards,
Reshma.

---

From: Andrew Laden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:49:46 -0500 (EST)

I ran into this myself. Since CDE launches the window manager, quitting
the Window manager doesnt necessarily quit CDE>

CDE requires a special command to quit.

AddToMenu Quit-Verify   "Really Quit Fvwm?" Title       
+          "Yes, Really Quit(CDE)"  Exec exec /usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession

Try that.

-Andrew

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew V. Laden               | Voice: (212) 486-8295
A.V.P. Technology             | Fax  : (212) 355-4271
Sakura Global Capital         | Quote: "If it's not written down
[email-masked]                |          it didn't happen."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Reshma Acharya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:03:01 +0530

Hello,

THANKS !! I can log out now without having to  kill Xsession myself.

-- 
Best Regards,
Reshma.

-- 
Best Regards,
Reshma.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pradeep Subramaniam)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:03:51 -0500 (EST)

Thank you for this pointer, I use it now and it works fine.

Is there anyway to disable the (CDE) question from being asked, if I
really want to quit? Thanks.

Pradeep.