Subject: FVWM: Bug in FvwmConfig

From: Jean-Pierre Demailly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:02:16 +0100 (MET)

There is a bug in the (braindead!) FvwmConfig module. The bug occurs only 
in case of depth modes 16 and more under X. Actually, FvwmConfig appears 
not to have been maintained since a long time, maybe it's the reason. 
In any case, the bug was easy to correct -- find below the corrected 
FvwmConfig.tar.gz file in attachment.

I personally like quite much fvwm2 and have been using it for about 5 years.
The only point which is missing, I believe (and which is a bit discouraging
for beginners), is GUI-configuration on the fly of the main features: namely
menus and buttons (less essential things such as window decorations, styles, 
themes, ... should perhaps also be GUI-configurable). It would be very nice 
to be able to manipulate the tree of popups with the mouse and then have
a routine converting fvwm's actual configuration into a .fvwm2rc file...

(Of course, fvwmconfig from John Lapeyre does this to some extent, but 
the Tcl/Tk interface probably cannot be nicely integrated as a module.
Also, fvwmconfig somehow has "too many" features -- again in view of
use by beginners.)

Why not thinking about an extended FvwmConfig module in this direction?
Implementing "easy" GUI-configuration of menus, buttons and styles is 
maybe not that hard...

Jean-Pierre Demailly

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 10:20:00 -0500

> Implementing "easy" GUI-configuration of menus, buttons and styles is 

FvwmConfig was removed from fvwm sometime during 2.3.x development.

Work on new configuration tools not requiring Tcl/Tk is underway.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].