Subject: FVWM: FVWM Output to stderr/console

From: "Leo deck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 06:04:21 -0800

I am running X from the CDE (Common Desktop Environment) graphical login.
fvwm is selected as the window manager to use inside the CDE itself by using
the "wmStartupCommand" resource in my ~/.Xdefaults file as follows:

   dtsession*wmStartupCommand:  /usr/local/bin/fvwm
   dtsession*waitWmTimeout:  2

Messages output by fvwm using calls to the "fvwm_msg" function go to either the
console device or stderr, depending on whether or not NO_CONSOLE is defined.
When selecting and running fvwm as indicated above, how can these output messages
be viewed or logged to a file?

I am basically new to fvwm.  Thanks in advance.

Leo Deck

[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Thomas A. Gardiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:08:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

>I am basically new to fvwm.  Thanks in advance.

Just a guess, but couldn't you just do something like this?
   
dtsession*wmStartupCommand:  '/usr/local/bin/fvwm 2> ~/.FVWM2-errors'

I'm not sure if this is the correct syntax or if the ' should be replaced
by " but experimenting should answer the question.

Tom