Subject: FVWM: fvwm 2.3.8 & fvwm 2.3.9-2.3.12 incompatibility?

From: "Brennan Cropper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 15:15:48 +0000

Hi,

In upgrading from 2.3.8 to 2.3.9 and subsequent (up to 2.3.12) releases,
I've run into some unwanted behaviors in both FvwmPager and
FvwmIconMan.  I was wondering if someone could possibly shed some light
on this.

The problems I ran into deal with the displaying of colors.  I did
notice that I had to change a line in my configuration dealing with
highlight colors during the upgrade and I think this may be the culprit
of my problems.  Previously (2.3.8), this section of my config looked
like this:
------------ snip --------------
AddToDecor CurrentDecor
+ ....
+ HilightColor #ffffff #c0c0c0
+ ....

Style "CurrentStyle" UseDecor CurrentDecor
....
Style "*" UseStyle CurrentStyle
------------ snip --------------

I've since changed this to:
------------ snip --------------
AddToDecor CurrentDecor
+ ....
[+ HilightColor #ffffff #c0c0c0] <---- removed this line
+ ....

Style "CurrentStyle" UseDecor CurrentDecor
Style "MyStyle" HilightFore #ffffff HilightBack #c0c0c0
....
Style "*" UseStyle CurrentStyle
------------ snip --------------

Anyway, after making this change to my configuration and upgrading to a
newer release (> 2.3.8), the colors in FvwmPager and FvwmIconMan have
been behaving strangely.  Here are their config's.

#------------------ Pager
*FvwmPagerBack DarkGreen
*FvwmPagerFore Black
*FvwmPagerHilight grey60
*FvwmPagerFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmPagerGeometry -1-1
*FvwmPagerLabel 0 Home
*FvwmPagerLabel 1 Clearcase
*FvwmPagerLabel 2 Sniff
*FvwmPagerSmallFont 5x8
*FvwmPagerBalloons
*FvwmPagerBalloonFore black
*FvwmPagerBalloonBack wheat
*FvwmPagerBalloonFont 5x8

#------------------ IconMan
*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers 1
*FvwmIconMan*resolution                   desk
*FvwmIconMan*format                       %t
*FvwmIconMan*font         -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

*FvwmIconMan*foreground                   Black
*FvwmIconMan*background                   grey70
*FvwmIconMan*plainbutton                  up
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton                 down
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton                  down
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectbutton         down
*FvwmIconMan*followfocus                  true
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons                    true

*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 1 N sendcommand Deiconify-Raise-Focus
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 2 N sendcommand Iconify
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 3 N sendcommand "Module FvwmIdent FvwmIdent"
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry               200x0
*FvwmIconMan*managergeometry              +0+0

FvwmIconMan's colors become messed up totally.  That is, the buttons
come up as different combinations of fg and bg depending on the colormap
in use, and the selected buttons are sometimes drawn with three or four
lines through them.  It just so happens that the color combinations that
often come up make the buttons unreadable.

FvwmPager's colors behave better, but the window that has the focus
shows up as a solid white window (white on white w/white border), as
where previously it was a window with white as the fg color and #c0c0c0
as the bg color with a white border.

I have attached snapshots obtained with xmag of both FvwmIconMan and
FvwmPager with both the 2.3.8 and 2.3.12 fvwm versions.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  If I can offer any
more information, please let me know.

Thanks a million,
Brennan

P.S.  I'm running on Solaris 2.6.  Incidentally, over the Christmas
break, I upgraded my Linux box to 2.3.12, and did not have the problem I
described above.  Strange?  I think so.

---

From: "Brennan Cropper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:06:04 +0000

Okay,

I feel slightly like an idiot.  Here's the snapshot of FvwmIconMan as
I'm using it in 2.3.12.

Brennan

"Cropper, Brennan (B.) [EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM70]" wrote:
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  [Image]  [Image]  [Image]  [Image]