Subject: FVWM: Maximize, but not to top of screen?

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:44:36 +0000

I'd like to set <Ctrl-Open> to Maximize 0 80 (I've currently got it 0
100) because I don't want the window to obscure my xticker, which sits
top-left.

  However, I can't make Maximise put the window anywhere but the top of
the screen (just what I don't want). I thought maybe I could do Maximise 0
-20, but it seems -20 is /synonymous/ with 80.

  Any ideas? I know I could probably wangle a Resize to do the job, but
then I couldn't toggle it back.

  On a similar note, if I resize/move a maximised window, it loses it's
maximised status, when I'd expect Maximise to still toggle it back to
where it was. Is this the intended functionality?

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |            This .signature is
    mailto:[email-masked]  |          certified Y2K compliant
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:14:34 +0100

> then I couldn't toggle it back.

You could 'maximize -20' and then move it to -0-0.

> where it was. Is this the intended functionality?

Yes.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:25:24 +0000

> You could 'maximize -20' and then move it to -0-0.

  But then it goes to the bottom-right (insetad of retaining it's X ord.)
*and* I can't toggle it back!

  Oh well, never mind. I'll live with it till 2.4, and then I can maybe
think of a way to add it.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:08:07 +0100

>   But then it goes to the bottom-right (insetad of retaining it's X ord.)

Only the maximised window is moved.

> *and* I can't toggle it back!

No, you *can* toggle it back.  The 'maximised' state is only turned
off when you *resize* the window, not when you move it.  Try it out,
it works.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:35:34 +0000

> off when you *resize* the window, not when you move it.  Try it out,

  So it does - fantastic!

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:00:30 +0000

> > off when you *resize* the window, not when you move it.  Try it out,

  Except - to get it to work from a bound Function:

AddToFunc Down-Maximise \
  "I" Maximise $0 $1
+ "I" WindowId $w (!Maximized)  Move 0w -0

  ... will *only* work in a binding. OK, that's fair enough. If I
FvwmCommand it, the Maximise asks for the window to be clicked upon, but
the WindowId command won't know what window that was. Doesn't matter.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:51:47 +0100

> the WindowId command won't know what window that was. Doesn't matter.

Actually you can rewrite your function like this:

  AddToFunc Down-Maximise
  + I Maximize $0 $1
  + I Move 0w -0

In theory this function should ask for a window to operate on once
and then use it for 'Maximize' and for 'Move', but apparently is
doesn't.  Seems to be a bug.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:59:22 +0000

> doesn't.  Seems to be a bug.

  Would be useful if it worked - but not in this case; I only want to do
the move when Maximising, not minimising. The above would always move the
window to the bottom, nomatter the toggle state.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:12:22 +0100

> window to the bottom, nomatter the toggle state.

How about

  AddToFunc Down-Maximise
  + I Maximize $0 $1
  + I Current (!Maximized) Move 0w -0

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:20:32 +0000

>   + I Current (!Maximized) Move 0w -0

  Current (the window with input focus) isn't necessarily the one I'm
doing it to :-)  [I've tried that, and it was most odd - one max'd,
another moved!]