Subject: FVWM: Config Help

From: Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 02:38:13 -0500

Okay, there a few things I'm lost on.  I'm hoping that someone can
answer my newbie questions.

First, I'm trying to bind "alt-m" to windoze-style window cycling.  You
know, "alt-tab" switches between the last two focused windows and
continuous "alt-tab" cycles through all the windows.  I've tried the
following, but to no avail:

    Key Tab    A M    Prev FlipFocus "Next Focus"

I've also tried "Next/Prev (*)/[*] Focus" but it seems that as soon as
it hits the "Prev FlipFocus" it stops right there.  I thought about a
function with a "Wait", but the way I read it, it wants a window-name,
and giving it (*) will just do more of the same.  Any pointers?

Second, is the FvwmGtk module capable of reading .gtkrc?  I've defined
my root menu and then do a "SendToModule FvwmGtk MenuFvwmRoot 1" but it
ends up looking the same.

Also, is there a repository of sample .fvwm2rc files that cover these
"newer" features?  I've hit the pages off the "Links" section of
www.fvwm.org, but all this info seem rather dated.

As always, thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 302.593.4322               ||  matter of life or death...
email: [email-masked]          ||  ...It's much more important
                                  ||  than that!
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Mathias Winkler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:44:47 +0100 (CET)

> and giving it (*) will just do more of the same.  Any pointers?

Try:

Key	Tab	A	M	Next [*] focus
Key	Tab	A	SM	Prev [*] focus

Regards
Mathias
-- 
Mathias Winkler  //  Muenchen/Munich, Germany
mailto:[email-masked]  //  Homepage: http://www.arkanda.net
Maintainer of:       XTree Fan Page       at: http://xtfp.arkanda.net
und: Celibidache Schueler Im Internet  unter: http://www.arkanda.net/konzerte

---

From: Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:30:51 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 01:44:47PM +0100, Mathias Winkler wrote:
: 
: Try:
: 
: Key	Tab	A	M	Next [*] focus
: Key	Tab	A	SM	Prev [*] focus

Nah, that's exactly what I don't want.  With one "alt-tab" press, I want
to flipfocus, with multiple ones in a row, I want to cycle my focus.

        --Jerry

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jan 2000 10:53:42 -0500

%% Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]> writes:

  ja> Nah, that's exactly what I don't want.  With one "alt-tab" press,
  ja> I want to flipfocus, with multiple ones in a row, I want to cycle
  ja> my focus.

You can't get FVWM to work exactly like Windows.

The latest 2.3.x pretests do it this way:

  * Alt-TAB brings up a window list.

  * More Alt-TAB's will cycle through the list.

  * You have to press RET (e.g.) to select the window you want; letting
    up the keys doesn't do anything.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:56:32 +0000

> to flipfocus, with multiple ones in a row, I want to cycle my focus.

I think what you want is a bit more subtle. When you say multiple ones
in a row don't you mean repeated hits of the TAB key without letting go
of the ALT key? It's impossible in fvwm.  The nearest you can get is
using the built in WindowList menu (see the FAQ question 3.3
http://www.fvwm.org/generated/FAQ.html )

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Jerry Alexandratos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:17:46 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 03:56:32PM +0000, Tim Phipps wrote:
: Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
: > Nah, that's exactly what I don't want.  With one "alt-tab" press, I want
: > to flipfocus, with multiple ones in a row, I want to cycle my focus.
: 
: I think what you want is a bit more subtle. When you say multiple ones
: in a row don't you mean repeated hits of the TAB key without letting go
: of the ALT key? It's impossible in fvwm.  The nearest you can get is
: using the built in WindowList menu (see the FAQ question 3.3
: http://www.fvwm.org/generated/FAQ.html )

Dang!!!

I don't suppose anyone is planning on adding this feature?  It's like
the only decent feature of that "other" GUI and it greatly accelerates
everything.  8(

        --Jerry

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:26:00 +0000

> the only decent feature of that "other" GUI and it greatly accelerates

I don't think it will happen. Fvwm only reacts to key presses and this
would require it to listen for key releases and be able to bind
sequences to functions. How would you specify this behaviour in a
.fvwm2rc?

There are ways of getting around the desktop quickly. The FAQ has a
method that makes hitting alt-tab twice quickly work like the quick
alt-tab in Windows:

DestroyFunc my_dbltab2
AddToFunc my_dbltab2 "I" WindowListFunc $w
DestroyFunc my_dbltab
AddToFunc my_dbltab "I" Prev (CurrentDesk) my_dbltab2
Key Tab A M WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk NoGeometry my_dbltab

If you bind the keypad Enter instead of Alt-Tab it gets a bit quicker:

Key KP_Enter A N WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk NoGeometry my_dbltab

Another method that may give even better results is to use FvwmIconMan
and write some functions/bindings to get it to focus to specific buttons
e.g. Alt-F1 could send a message to FvwmIconMan that would make Fvwm
Switch focus to the first window in the FvwmIconMan list, Alt-F2 to the
second etc. Since FvwmIconMan is always visible you could decide which
window to go to and just hit the appropriate key.  If you arrange the
FvwmIconMan window carefully you may even get it to arrange the windows
straight above the functions keys and you won't even have to count, just
hit the key beneath the FvwmIconMan button.

heers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:13:34 +0100

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 03:26:00PM +0000, Tim Phipps wrote:
> I don't think it will happen.

Of course it will happen :)

...Continued in reply to Paul's message...

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].