Subject: FVWM: Re: Window position change?

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:22:40 +0000

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> You have to set the WM size hints to ask for a specific position.
> These are handled as you expect.  To be precise, fvwm's current
> handling of ConfigureRequest is against what the ICCCM2 suggests,
> but since certain applications (xv) expect it to work this way we
> can't simply fix it.  Perhaps I'll make a new style option for this.

  I think it's worse in my case :-(  The wretched GUI builder we have to
use plots & maps a window the moment we create it - before we can
determine where it's supposed to be, so it actually comes up with a
'default' location/size (1x1+0+0 in this case). *Then* we have to move it
to the right place. <sigh> I wish I had the time & budget to recode it to
use Qt or something.

  Anyway, from what I can tell, the window's *created* 'correctly' at
+0+0, but then gets stuffed when I do the later move/resize. Well, when
the GUI builder does it, but I've fairly certain it issues a straight
Configure request.

  Do other (older?) WMs like ol[v]wm/CDE *always* fiddle with the co-ords
given by the user in order to take into account the decor?

  I guess a PositionIgnoresDecor type option would be kind of nice ... but
then you have to worry about whether you really make it a Configure...
option that includes the actual *size* in the calculation (not something
I've ever seen, to be honest, but I can see, for example, a use when one
wants a full-screen window (say 800x600 on such a sized display), but
*creating* one makes a window /larger/ than the display afte the decor's
added). Hmm.

> >   My wibbling windows problem seems to have gone away since 2.3.12, though
> What are 'wibbling' windows? Can't find that word in my dictionary :-)

  Sorry :)  For me, at least, "wibble" = "small jittery wobble". For the
life of me, I can't remember where I got it from ...

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |            This .signature is
    mailto:[email-masked]  |          certified Y2K compliant
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].