Subject: Border drawing looks weird with my setup

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:18:13 -0500

The recent changes in the border drawing code make my setup look really
awful. I've put a tarball with some screen shots and the pertinent parts
of my .fvwmrc at

	http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmBadBorders.tar.gz

If I need to make changes to my setup because of the code changes, I'm
open to suggestions - as long as I can produce the same result I had
until a few days ago.

Cheers,
Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:57:43 +0100

> 	http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmBadBorders.tar.gz

Bob, can you convert the images to a format that preserves
the exact colours?  The images are speckled with atrifacts
when I view them with xv, so I can't discern if what you are
seeing is a bug or what I intended with the border patches.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:05:21 -0500

> seeing is a bug or what I intended with the border patches.

	Hmm...sounds like you're stuck with a less than TrueColor visual: the
colors look pretty accurate on my machine (I used xv to create them).

	I can try to recreate them this evening, and save them as TIFFs, but
I'm afraid you'll have the same problem unless you can view them with a
TrueColor visual. Right now I've gotta run to catch a train into
Manhattan. Later....

Cheers.
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:54:25 +0100

> colors look pretty accurate on my machine (I used xv to create them).

depth = 16 :-p

> TrueColor visual. Right now I've gotta run to catch a train into

I don't care if the colours are wrong, but I can't use dithered pictures.
BTW, if you recreate the screenshots: I need to see the top borders
and the bottom borders of the two windows in your last screenshots.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 17:53:36 +0000

> open to suggestions - as long as I can produce the same result I had
I think this is the result of the changes to the border relief drawing.
You are using FvwmBorder style ith a borderwidth of 5.  This used to
result in the border being invisible (5 pixels of relief and shadow).
What happens now is that you get a one pixel wide border and the shadow
or relief is thinner.  You can't do anything about this in the config
file.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 23:27:07 -0500

> and the bottom borders of the two windows in your last screenshots.

	OK, I put up a new set:

	http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmBadBorders2.tar.gz

There are a couple of differences (thanks to Tim for prompting me
actually to read my config!).

	I removed the extraneous TiledPixmap BorderStyles, which removes the
real grotesquerie. I had thought I had commented those out long ago;
they were vestiges of another style. They simply never showed up with
the earlier border drawing code, as Tim pointed out.

	This set shows 2 small windows (one highlighted) in their entirety,
before and after. It seems to me that with border widths of 5 pixels or
less, the right and bottom borders look to be all shadow and no relief,
at least in these examples.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:42:34 +0100

> at least in these examples.

Okay, just as I expected.  It seems the calculations are confused about
the width of some relief rectangles.  Unfortunately I don't get the
same borders with the config bits you sent.  Can you mail me your
complete config file, please?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 02:06:49 +0100

> at least in these examples.

Finally I was able to reproduce this.  I've made some patches that
should take care of it.  Do they solve your problem?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 00:10:42 -0500

> should take care of it.  Do they solve your problem?

	Looks much better now. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bob