Subject: a few things

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:16:17 -0800

Hi. Most importantly, I just updated my source tree for the first time
in a while. The build fails in builtins.c, trying to include a
nonexistent "update.h". I don't see it in fvwm/... Huh? What did I do?

On to other less pressing things. First, a proposal: with the amount
that's changed between 2.2 and the current FVWM (and more importantly,
between the current version and 2.0), might it not be warranted to
call the next release 3.0?

Next, does anyone know of a way to get *all* of the current
configuration lines through the module interface? I suspect it's not
possible, but I wanted to check to make sure there's not something I'm
missing. If I'm correct, what does anyone think of adding FULL_CONFIG
or something to the module interface? I'm thinking it'd be useful for
two things I've seen requested:
    1) a way to dump the currently running config into a file
    2) help balloons
I'm not sure help balloons could be done in a module, but if they're
to be done at all, I figure the module needs to know what fvwm's
bindings are.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
The life uncaffeinated is not worth living.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:20:34 +0000

> call the next release 3.0?
I would prefer 3.0 to mark the start of a much trimmed down fvwm with
things like decors removed, all color/pixmap selection moved to
colorsets, border/title/button styles removed and replaced with a module
for fancy ones.

I think 2.4 is going to be mostly backwards compatible with 2.2 with a
few minor variations but not enough to warrant changing the major
number.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:00:51 +0100

> colorsets, border/title/button styles removed and replaced with a module

Sounds very appealing to me.  We could get rid of much redundant code,
syntax variations, icon management modules, ...  The things I'd *love*
to remove are:

  Decors           (replaced by more flexible styles)
  Style * UseStyle (replaced by other commands)
  Style * Color    (buggy and unnecessary)
  Style * Icon     (to define a default icon)
  BorderStyle      (clumsy and has a horrible syntax)
  ButtonStyle      (dito)
  TitleStyle       (dito)

I'm not convinced that window decorations can be moved to a
module though.  We're pulling off a lot of tricks that are
simply not possible in a module (e.g. shading/resizing).  May
be too slow too.  I'm not against trying to modularise this,
but my hopes don't soar either.

> few minor variations but not enough to warrant changing the major

Yes.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]