Subject: CVS olicha: * Fixed a problem if you switch of desk via clicking on a page in FvwmPager

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 06:50:13 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	olicha	99/12/07 06:50:13

Modified files:
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmPager: FvwmPager.c 
	modules/FvwmButtons: parse.c 

Log message:
* Fixed a problem if you switch of desk via clicking on a page in FvwmPager
* Fixed typo in comments in FvwmButtons

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 17:33:05 -0500

> * Fixed a problem if you switch of desk via clicking on a page in FvwmPager

	I believe the M_NEW_PAGE packet always came through with the current
desk in it before, so you've effectively no-opped the change in
virtual.c. Did you observe some improvement with this change?

	I haven't tried to follow the logic to see what happens if the Pager's
notion of CurrentDesk changes during this function, I merely suspected
that it was probably not a Good Thing. If you could confirm that it
produces undesirable results, then Dominik may feel more comfortable
with my changing virtual.c back to the way it was (well, this part of
it, anyway) this evening. Or at least I will.  :-)

	Of course, this begs the question of why we should bother having the
desk number in the packet at all, if it's always going to be the
"currently current" desk, but we can discuss that another time.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 07:47:41 +0100

> it, anyway) this evening. Or at least I will.  :-)

Hello,
Unfortuately, I do not understand really what you say ... 
However, it seems that everything work find with the two versions of virtual.c.
The only thing I did with the pager is to not update the Currentdesk
with a M_NEW_PAGE message, because the pager is mad so that such an update
must be done with a M_NEW_DESK message.
 
> "currently current" desk, but we can discuss that another time.

Yep, in the case of the pager when you change of desk and page by clicking
on a page, you first get M_NEW_PAGE and after M_NEW_DESK. Any way, maybe
the better thing that we can do is to suppress M_NEW_DESK and to rename
M_NEW_PAGE.

Sorry for misunderstanding the real question.

Olivier

-- 
[email-masked]
"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:09:13 +0100

> virtual.c. Did you observe some improvement with this change?

Yes, I did.  The GotoDeskAndPage command confused the pager in the past.
And no, before I made the patch the *old* desk number was sent with
M_NEW_PAGE.

> "currently current" desk, but we can discuss that another time.

It may reduce flickering in some modules.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:24:09 +0100

> must be done with a M_NEW_DESK message.

I think I have fixed it in list_new_page() in FvwmPager.c.  If the pager
detects a new desk in a M_NEW_PAGE packet, it calls list_new_desk() first
to switch to the new desk.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:33:05 +0200

> the better thing that we can do is to suppress M_NEW_DESK and to rename

I basically agree. Although I think leaving M_NEW_DESK is ok for modules
not wanting to have page awareness. The modules wanting to be page aware
like FvwmPager, FvwmBacker should listen only to M_NEW_PAGE (which should
be compatible with M_NEW_DESK, i.e. to hold a new desk, and could be
renamed to M_NEW_DESKPAGE, and its 3-rd parameter "desk" should be first).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:11:04 +0100

> to switch to the new desk.

Yes, this fix is better than my since I suppose that it is better to
begin with a desk switch than begin with a page switch.
Sorry to not coming in the discussion between you and Bob, but I never
see the bug of the first message of Bob (Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:32:29 -0500)
and I think that my pager commit had fixed the "desk-page" bug when
Bob (Tue, 07 Dec 1999 09:56:19 -0500) used "incompatible" (fvwm, modules)
couple.
Any way, I think that every thing is ok now :), at least for the Pager

Olivier