Subject: PipeRead description too terse for inexperienced users

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 08:42:11 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Joe Mooney
Version: 2.2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux (Redhat)
X_Server: XFree83 3.3.3
Submission from: (NULL) (204.179.92.80)

PipeRead man page description is minimal and therefore, hard to
understand.  Also, my version (2.2.2) is inconsistent with the
example given in the FAQ (section 7).  The form of the command as
shown in the man page on my version is "PipeRead cmd option".  It
appears that the example in the FAQ is just "PipeRead cmd".

Specifically, one thing I am trying to do is have a button that
swallows the xclock and reports the output of "date +%b\ %d\ %Y"
as its title.  Clicking on the date will then open ical.  I've
acutally done that once before without using PipeRead (or SetEnv)
but I can't figure out how and I lost my old .fvwm2rc.

But that's another issue I guess.  I see a lot of potential for
PipeRead if I can figure it out.  I am aware that the pipe command
in Unix is pretty fundamental and maybe thats why the man page
explanation is so minimal.  Unfortuneatly, I am self taught on
Linux so some basic stuff like that may be as obvious to people 
like myself.

Anyway, I think that the raw configurability of FVWM2 makes it the
best window manger for Linux.  I'm hoping that mastering commands
like PipeRead will make it possible to develop a form customizeable
interface for my wife.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]