Subject: Re: FVWM: picky picky : shadow/hilight colors

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:22:42 -0500

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> If someone could come up with an algorithm that duplicates the CDE
> shadow/hilight colour calculations this would be very welcome.
> CDE's algo is quite clever and you can see that a lot of know-how
> went into it.

Before we got the code from SCWM, I was toying with a design like this:

Shadows and highlights are perceptual issues, perhaps  not the same in
all people. From my  limited understanding of colors, color  closeness
is non-linear, and perhaps there is no single formula that works.
The more advanced formulas that I've toyed with (in Colorlimiting)
use way too much CPU to be useful.

I thought I'd create 4x4x4 = 64 data points like this:

#000000
#000044
#000088
...
#004400
#008800
..
#FFFFFF

and come up with visually appealing shadows and highlights for each
(by just trying different colors).

Then I thought I could extrapolate any other shadow/highlight color.
(The idea being that small differences could be treated as linear.)

I got as far as trying and writing down some values, and it didn't
look like there was a formula that would produce the same numbers.

I was pretty happy with the SCWM result, so I don't have my notes
any more.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]