Subject: GFvwmDebug module ready.

From: Javier Carro Tarradell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:13:48 +0100

Hi everybody,

     GFvwmDebug module is now ready, I have rewriten it in ANSI C
     and using the fvwm cvs tree.

     You can download it at:
     http://www.arrakis.es/~carroj/FvwmModules/FvwmMod.html

     If someone with write access to the cvs tree can upload the
     sources into fvwm/modules/GFvwmDebug I will be very glad.

     Bye,

         JCT

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 18:21:06 -0500

>      sources into fvwm/modules/GFvwmDebug I will be very glad.

One of these days I'll have to get my GTK installation working, it
looks neat.  Since I don't have a working GTK enviroment, I wasn't able
to compile or test it (or apply it).

Watch out for this logic from main_window.c:

    case M_ICONIFY:
    case M_ICON_LOCATION:
    case M_DEICONIFY:
      {
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Application Id" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Frame Id" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+1) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Database entry" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+2) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "X icon position" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+3) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Y icon position" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+4) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Icon width" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+5) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Icon height" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+6) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "X window position" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+3) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Y window position" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+4) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Window width" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+5) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 strcpy( Property[0], "Window height" );
	 snprintf( Property[1], 256, "%u", *(pPacket->body+6) );
	 gtk_clist_append( GTK_CLIST( MessageInfo ), Property );	 	 
	 
      }
      break;

Iconify packets come in various lengths.  
Perhaps thats why body+3 thru 6 are used twice?
You will have to check
the length before reporting all the values.  Also in deiconify
packets the icon location information comes first.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:38:30 +0100

>      sources into fvwm/modules/GFvwmDebug I will be very glad.

Your module isn't properly "autoconf'ed" yet.  I added it to
the Makefile.am in the modules directory locally, but it won't
compile because it looks for some header files

------------------------------------------------------------------------
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/domivogt/src/fvwm/modules/GFvwmDebug'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../..  -I/usr/X11R6/include    -g -O2 -c module_main.c
In file included from /usr/local/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:33,
                 from /usr/local/include/gdk/gdk.h:31,
                 from /usr/local/include/gtk/gtk.h:31,
                 from module_main.c:8:
/usr/local/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I don't have gdk installed, but that has to be handled
by configure so that the module isn't compiled it it's not there.
BTW, would it be possible to have a 'compatibility' version that
just dumps the packets to stdout if gdk is not installed?  Then
we can scrap the old FvwmDebug module.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:08:34 +0100

> compile because it looks for some header files

Oops, I take everything back.  I do have gdk installed, but 
glibconfig.h is found at /usr/local/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:30:39 +0100

>      sources into fvwm/modules/GFvwmDebug I will be very glad.

I have noticed several bugs (screenshot in xwd format attached).

 1) The window is partially placed off screen when mapped first.
    The screenshot shows my entire desk (but I removed all other
    windows so that it's as small as possible).

 2) The menu bar is too big.

 3) The 'Property' filed is not wide enough.

 4) When I select 'Hide menubar', the complete module vanishes.
    It isn't visible in the process list but there's no coredump.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:41:41 +0100

> I have noticed several bugs (screenshot in xwd format attached).

And here goes the screenshot...

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:44:23 +0100

> glibconfig.h is found at /usr/local/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h.

Which "gtk-config --cflags" and "glib-config --cflags" will tell you..
(CFLAGS = `gtk-config --cflags` ...)

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 23:40:32 +0100

Hi,

> I have noticed several bugs (screenshot in xwd format attached).

Thank you very much for your interest.

>     windows so that it's as small as possible).

I am not telling it where to place, so I can not imaging what is wrong.

>  2) The menu bar is too big.

The window has a default size of 300x200 and the resize politic is not
handled properly, I will fix that.

>  3) The 'Property' filed is not wide enough.

The size of the columns can be changed just dragging, but I will set it
widder by default.

>     It isn't visible in the process list but there's no coredump.

Hide menubar is not jet working, and to test I link that to the quit
function. My fault. :-D

Bye and thanks again.

    JCT

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 00:24:40 +0100

> compile because it looks for some header files

Well I have copied the configuration from other module and tried to adapt.

Well that is a GTK problem with the configuration of gtk/gdk/glib but it is there

> we can scrap the old FvwmDebug module.

It could be done for people that do not have GTK, but it will be hard to do. I think that it is
easier that the user chooses the set of modules that fits his/her posibilities. If you have GTK
and you fancy choose GFvwmDebug, else choose FvwmDebug.

bye,

    JCT.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Dec 1999 23:17:14 -0500

I would like to see the name changed.  Right now all our modules start
"Fvwm" and I've found that handy on more than one occasion.  Why not
something like FvwmGtkDebug?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 00:12:50 +0100

Hi again,

>     It isn't visible in the process list but there's no coredump.

Corrected 2, 3, 4.

bye.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:59:09 +0100

> Thank you very much for your interest.

Well, I'm one of the most interested 'customers' for such a module.

> I am not telling it where to place, so I can not imaging what is wrong.

I think the reason might be that the module sets a smaller size
at first (when it creates and maps its window), but then resizes
itself to a larger size. Fvwm would places it with the smaller 
size at first and if the window grows, the bottom moves out of the
page.  You should try to find out the final size before the window
is created.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:49:09 +0200

> something like FvwmGtkDebug?

Yes, FvwmGtkDebug is a good name. Although I would prefer one modular
module FvwmDebug with frontends --gtk, --stdout, --xterm etc..

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 13:37:36 +0100

> module FvwmDebug with frontends --gtk, --stdout, --xterm etc..

That is a good idea, but it will take some more time.

Bye,

    JCT.

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 13:35:40 +0100

> something like FvwmGtkDebug?

Fine, I will change it along the next days, but consider it as changed. Even more
I propose that all modules using GTK are called FvwmGtk* so replacing can be done
easely in the config files.

Bye,

    JCT.

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 14:07:30 +0100

> Well, I'm one of the most interested 'customers' for such a module.

I wrote the module as a trainig for writing others, so be carefull about the
information shown in the lower window before accepting it as good. It seems
I have made some mistakes when intrerpreting the data and some cut and paste
errors, The code tries to be rather clean, so please check that the pakect
body is well treated in process_packet_data() before thinking there is an
error in your code.

> page.  You should try to find out the final size before the window

It sounds reasonable, I have made some modifications to see what happens. I
do not have that problem, can you send me the line you use to launch the
module and what placing policy you are using in the .fvwm2rc to see if I can
reproduce the error. Are you using the last fvwm version, the one from the
CVS tree ?

Waiting your news,

    JCT.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:28:21 +0100

> reproduce the error. Are you using the last fvwm version, the one from the

I'm *always* using the latest CVS; most of the time my code is
even more current ;-)

  Style * SmartPlacement, RandomPlacement
  GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart

  Module GFvwmDebug

Try cluttering the screen so that you can only see the background near
the bottom border of the screen.  The placement policy should make sure
that the window is placed over the free area.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:05:17 +0100

>      sources into fvwm/modules/GFvwmDebug I will be very glad.

I guess you should have commit privileges for CVS so you can
commit your changes yourself.  Anyone out there who wants to
back up my vote?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 17:22:32 +0100

> commit your changes yourself.  Anyone out there who wants to

Yes I'm there, maybe I'm a little bit young in the list for a vote,
but a like the new module !
Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:23:54 -0500

> commit your changes yourself.  Anyone out there who wants to

I don't see what you are basing this on.

Does the latest version of this obsolete FvwmDebug?  Not that I'm
proposing that as a precondition, its just that the logic of a debug
module doesn't demonstrate anything to me.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:09:27 +0100

> commit your changes yourself.  Anyone out there who wants to

Okay, my proposal triggered a bit of discussion because JCT
(sorry, I couldn't find a better hint what your name is) has
appeared on the list only recently.  I think we can all agree
to give him CVS access for a limited period of time at first,
say until 2.4 is released - under the assumption that he
makes changes to GFvwmDebug/FvwmGtkDebug and related files
only.  Is this okay for everybody?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:32:31 +0200

> only.  Is this okay for everybody?

Yes. Welcome, JCT.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 22:51:05 +0100

> that the window is placed over the free area.

Try the last version of the module, I have tried it and seems to work fine.

Waiting your news,

    JCT.

---

From: "Javier C. Tarradell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 23:00:18 +0100

> only.  Is this okay for everybody?

My name is Javier C. Tarradell, I thought it was appearing in the mail
address.

That is fine for me, I will be working only on modules so I only need
access to the modules branch.

I have prefered to participate in the list only with something done, even
if it is not very impressing. I hate theese people that talks about what
tey want to do but finally they do never find the time to do it.

Thanks a lot for the access and please forgive me if I make some errors
at first.

Finally I am very sorry but I have a lovely dog.

Bye,

    JCT.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 18:12:39 -0500

> > only.  Is this okay for everybody?

Dominik and I exchanged mail on this and I didn't realize we were off
the list.  For   the record, previously I  voted  to wait.  With  this
understanding I withdrew any objection.

> Thanks a lot for the access and please forgive me if I make some errors

If you don't, you may be the first.

> Finally I am very sorry but I have a lovely dog.

Thats fine!

You may notice that we already have one strange looking cat on the
cats page.  Another one wouldn't hurt at all.

Feel free to add your pet to the cats page.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 02:08:56 +0100

> Thanks a lot for the access and please forgive me if I make some errors

I didn't see any notice that you have access to CVS now.  If
this is correct you can send a user name plus an encrypted
UNIX password to Jason Tibbits ([email-masked]) and he will
take care of the rest.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]