Subject: MouseFocusClickRaises fails intermittently

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:32:53 +0100

I've noticed that clicking in a window with said GlobalOpts set
doesn't raise the window reliably anymore.

  - start DDD 3.1.4 with a program; it opens the command and the source
    window (I have configured ddd to use separate windows).
  - now open a data window by double clicking on any variable
    --> The data window is mapped over the source window.
  - click inside the source window; it is *not* raised as expected

To fix this, I just raise another window.  After that is works fine.
This sounds awfully like a screwed up stacking order (but the stacking
order in the pager is okay).  On the other hand it might as well be
caused by Bob's last changes to fix mouse bindings.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:47:18 -0500

> caused by Bob's last changes to fix mouse bindings.

	Strange. I just tried this scenario with DDD 3.1.6, and I can't make it
fail. I tried it with both canonical and sloppy mouse focus, just to be
sure, and I've tried it about a dozen times without seeing this happen.

	I've been down with the flu all week, and I haven't updated since last
Thursday (12/09) - any chance that something since then has introduced
this?

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:20:04 +0100

> sure, and I've tried it about a dozen times without seeing this happen.

I figured out that this only happens if you do not change focus
between the double click to open the data window and the click
to raise the source window.  I tried to debug this but didn't
get very far yet sinde my ddd windows are rediculously large
and overlap my debug output window.  I'll have to configure a
keyboard sequence so that I don't have to raise the debug window
with a click.

> Thursday (12/09) - any chance that something since then has introduced

Can't remember any.  The few bits of debug output I could see yet
seem to point to your patches though.  I'll have to spend more
time debugging.  Hopefully that happens on my home machine too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:37:41 -0500

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> to raise the source window.

	Owww! Because there's no focus change here, the source window never
gets regrabbed.

>                   ...The few bits of debug output I could see yet

	Oh, it will, as long as you have the same sequence of overlapping
without having the data window pop up under the mouse to cause a focus
change.

	[Sigh.] I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to satisfy all
applications and situations with this MouseFocusClickRaises thing. I'll
have to think about this some more. I suppose we need to regrab the
currently focused window when a new window is created, if that causes
the currently focused window to be no longer at the top of its layer (at
this point Scr.Ungrabbed should not be NULL, and should point to the
window with focus).

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:01:34 +0100

> without having the data window pop up under the mouse to cause a focus

Only in theory. I can't reproduce it on demand at home, but I still
see it sometimes. Well, let's just try it out. Can you make the
appropriate patch, Bob?

> this point Scr.Ungrabbed should not be NULL, and should point to the

[Double Sigh] Something strange has happened in HandleButtonPress too.
Before I put the XUngrabPointer() call at the end of the function,
my transient pager (bound to button 2 via 'Module FvwmPager -transient')
didn't get drawn properly until I relesed the button.  It hung when it
tried to grab the pointer.  Although fvwm already left the
HandleButtonPress() function, it still had a grab active.  I can't
fathom where this comes from.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:56:16 -0500

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> to raise the source window....

	Fixed.

Cheers,
Bob