Subject: CVS commit messages

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:20:49 +0000

I've been trying to figure out: how do you bundle all of the
directories modified in a single commit to be listed in a single
message to the mailing list?  When I run CVS locally, if a commit
affects multiple directories, it makes multiple log entries.

I'd be fascinated to know; I'm sure it's just a simple shell/perl
script run from CVSROOT/loginfo or CVSROOT/modules....

Thanks in advance,

   Julian

-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:17:43 +0100

> affects multiple directories, it makes multiple log entries.

Huh? I simply run 'cvs commit' in the top level directory.
Or do you mean the commit messages for multiple modules?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:25:50 -0500

> Or do you mean the commit messages for multiple modules?

I think what Julian is asking about is the mechanism Jason
put in place to generate mail after CVS updates.

I would guess only Jason would know the answer.

I vaguely remember Jason mentioning that he  did it, but I don't think
we saw any details.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:33:38 -0500 (EST)

> I vaguely remember Jason mentioning that he  did it, but I don't think

ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/cvs

This has the commit_prep and the newlog scripts that are used.  I've been
very thankful that Jason (or whoever) has shared this with others.

Warning:  I don't know exactly how up to date these are.

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

                  "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:21:46 +0000

> I vaguely remember Jason mentioning that he  did it, but I don't think

Yes, that's right.  CVS seems to bundle together all the commits
appertaining to one directory and send them off to the command given
in the CVSROOT/loginfo file, but Jason has managed to get all of the
separate directories affected in one commit to appear in the same
email message.  And I can't figure out how he's done it ;-)  (I'm
jealous; I want one just like it.  Pleeease.  For Christmas. ;-)

Well, OK, it's not urgent, but I'd still love to know.

Thanks!

   Julian

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:50:28 +0000

> Warning:  I don't know exactly how up to date these are.

Thanks!  So I can go and ask the BSD guys if there's a more up-to-date
version, else I'll hack this one.

   Julian

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Dec 1999 15:05:31 -0600

>>>>> "lg" == larry gensch <[email-masked]> writes:

lg> Warning: I don't know exactly how up to date these are.

I believe those are exactly what we're using.

 - j<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Dec 1999 15:09:03 -0600

>>>>> "JG" == Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]> writes:

JG> So I can go and ask the BSD guys if there's a more up-to-date version,
JG> else I'll hack this one.

I'm no longer sure where I got the scripts that I started with.  I made
several changes, though, so if you pull someone else's scripts you'll lose
the FVWM customizations.

Also of note, the CVS server I run is slightly hacked to support one
important feature (proper usernames when using pserver).  I submitted the
patch to the CVS folks but I'm not sure if they did anything with it.  I
can probably dig up the patch if you want it.

 - J<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Dec 1999 15:25:13 -0600

>>>>> "lg" == larry gensch <[email-masked]> writes:

lg> ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/cvs

I should add a couple of instructions.

Check commit_prep and newlog.pl into your CVS tree under CVSROOT, then add
them to checkoutlist.  (The idea is to get them into CVSROOT in checked-out
form.)  Then put the following in commitinfo:

DEFAULT $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commit_prep -r

and something like this in your loginfo:

DEFAULT $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/newlog.pl -s -f $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog -m [email-masked] %s

 - J<

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:50:24 +0000

> I should add a couple of instructions.

Thanks for this too.  Maybe a README saying also where the files
originate?  ;-)

   Julian

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:48:53 +0000

> several changes, though, so if you pull someone else's scripts you'll lose

I think I've located the source of the files, after a very round-about
search: they're in the cvs source package in a contrib directory!
(And they're called log_accum and commit_prep).

> can probably dig up the patch if you want it.

There's a $USER variable which can be used in CVSROOT/* admin files.
I wonder whether that's what they did with your patch?  I don't know
whether it works for pserver, though.

Thanks for the pointers!

   Julian

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Dec 1999 23:21:35 -0600

>>>>> "JG" == Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]> writes:

JG> There's a $USER variable which can be used in CVSROOT/* admin files. I
JG> wonder whether that's what they did with your patch?  I don't know
JG> whether it works for pserver, though.

This is (or used to be, at least) $USER in the traditional shell sense.
With pserver, everything's running as user "cvs", so it's useless.

My patch puts a CVSUSER variable in the environment.

 - J<

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:35:44 +0000

>From the changelog of CVS:

Thu May 29 16:32:47 1997  Jim Kingdon  <[email-masked]>

        * subr.c (getcaller): Return CVS_Username if it is set.

This effectively means that $USER in the *info files is expanded to
the username that they logged in as, not the effective username, if
pserver is being used.

Even so, I really liked your patches to the upstream scripts; they
worked wonderfully (after a little more personalised tweaking).

I do hope to catch up with FVWM stuff sometime soonish....

Have a good break everyone!

   Julian