Subject: Icon Attraction and Icon titles

From: [email-masked] (Stephane Rosa)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:28:28 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

It seems that a SnapAttraction 10 SameType Screen on 2.3.10
does not give the expected result on icons.

The top of an icon Snaps to the bottom of another icon by
overriding the icon title (the one below the icon).

Is it possible to avoid this behavior ?

Attached is a gif showing this. The bottom Icon is snapped
to the top icon, making its title not visible (as compared
to the icon on the right).

Another question would be to know if it is possible to
automagically snap Icons together without using FvwmIconBox
or FvwmIconMan. I'm not happy with :

Style "*" IconBox 231x980+2+2, IconGrid 2 2

A 2/2 Grid, 10/10, 3/3 or 1/1 does not give the expected
result, which would be to have a good packed appearance.

Last think, what about a way to "Reorganize Icons", something
"a la" Windows ?

Thanks
Stephane

--
SILICON GRAPHICS                 EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
##############################################################
Stephane Rosa                     Tel :     +41 (0)32 843-3638
Business Analyst                  Fax :     +41 (0)32 843-3909
APS/FP  Project                   GSM :     +41 (0)79 448-5335
--------------------------------------------------------------
ircnoc.neu.sgi.com  SGI Intranet  IRC :   EuroOper on #irchelp
irc.stealth.net     Euro-IRCNet   IRC :   Clipper on #radionet

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:04:10 +0200

> Is it possible to avoid this behavior ?

Probably not, it seems that icon titles are not evaluated right,
but I am not familar with attraction code.

The icon snap attraction is really somewhat useless as it is now.
Do you really need to move your icons? It is possible to get very good
results with multiple IconBox/IconGrid/IconFill without moving.

> result, which would be to have a good packed appearance.

You'd better use IconGrid 80 100 (according to your large icons).
And this only affects placement grid (once it is placed, IconGrid
is not used, for example on moving).

There was some discussion two months ago. But it seems that noone has a
free time now to improve IconBox's (or proposed IconArea's).

> Last think, what about a way to "Reorganize Icons", something

The following will rearrange your icons:
  All (CurrentPage Iconic) RecaptureWindow

Also search for DeiconifyAndRearrange in the fvwm man page.

> Stephane

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]