Subject: CVS domivogt: * Undid some of the client vs. parent grab changes.

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 04:29:42 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	domivogt	99/12/09 04:29:41

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : add_window.c events.c 

Log message:
* Undid some of the client vs. parent grab changes.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 14:22:41 -0500

> * Undid some of the client vs. parent grab changes.

add_window.c	-  Good catch, I'd missed that one!

events.c	-  The first block (around line 1423) didn't seem to be
necessary, but I'm leaving it as you changed it. I don't think it does
any harm, and maybe you've observed something I've missed.
		   The second block I'm not sure about. Again, I only found the test
for Tmp_win->Parent to be necessary. I'm commenting out the tests for
Tmp_win->w and Tmp_win->frame for now. Give this a try and see if you
notice any bad behavior. If so, we can easily uncomment the other tests.

	There's one thing I haven't addressed yet, in focus.c (DoSetFocus).
It's the multi-head code, which looks like it's been way out of sync
with the regular code for quite a while. We still have to look into
this.

	(Gee, if only some nice corporate user would donate a nice multi-head
card and an extra monitor to the cause, maybe we could actually test
this multi-head stuff....  :-)  - That's OK, Bob, go back to sleep,
now!)

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 14:45:21 -0500

> this multi-head stuff....  :-)  - That's OK, Bob, go back to sleep,

I can think of one nice corporation that recently floated an IPO and
is just drowning in cash.

I don't have the room for a second monitor, but I bet you could get
one by just asking.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:14:37 +0100

> any harm, and maybe you've observed something I've missed.

I don't know which of the tests are necessary.  But since the code
has changed back and forth in the last month's it's probably best
to make unnecessary checks.

> notice any bad behavior. If so, we can easily uncomment the other tests.

Do you mean the change in GetContext()?  I think we can't do this.
Tmp_win->w might occur as the subwindow and I saw Tmp_win->frame
there with passive grabs in the past (but I'm not sure if it can
still happen today).

> this multi-head stuff....  :-)  - That's OK, Bob, go back to sleep,

:-) I have a second card and a second monitor, but my X server doesn't
support multi head yet (XFree 3.3.4).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:05:02 -0500

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > necessary, but I'm leaving it as you changed it....
> 

	Yup, that's why I left it for now.

> there with passive grabs in the past (but I'm not sure if it can

	No, it's in HandleButtonPress around line 1459, where we handle the
MouseFocusClickRaises case. I'm pretty certain of this one, but let me
know if you see any suspicious behavior.

	As for GetContext, I didn't want to change it, not just yet anyway,
without doing some more observation. I don't think we should see any
more Tmp_win->frame stuff. Tmp_win->w *will* definitely show up as the
subwindow a lot.

> support multi head yet (XFree 3.3.4).

	Maybe next year I can rig up a multi-head setup. I'm not sure where
I'll find the space to put a second monitor, though. (You really
wouldn't want to see my desk!  :-)  )

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:18:08 +0100

> know if you see any suspicious behavior.

We'll have to do a detailed 'bindind' test before 2.4 anyway.  Key
bindings on decorations have already stopped working (at least the
last time I tried).

> wouldn't want to see my desk!  :-)  )

I don't want to see mine :-)  Space desk is always a problem.  I'd have to
remove the cat basket from my desk :-(((((( This will have a severe impact
on morale.

Bye

Dominik ^_^