Subject: Color allocation

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:23:33 -0500

There were some interesting comments in the module we just pulled the
Hilight/Shadow logic out of:

 * At one time there was no cache in the color routines. When displaying
 * remotely, profile data indicated that the vast majority of the time
 * spent in _XtCreateWidget was spent getting colors from these routines.
 * In Aug 1997, Jon Christopher ([email-masked]) added a cache to each
 * of these routines so that it will remember the data from the last call
 * and avoid server round trips if they are called again under the same
 * conditions.  These changes speeded up _XtCreateWidget by 10 times.

Running fvwm remotely, I see huge amounts of data flying back and forth
during startup.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]