Subject: Notification: incoming/522

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 04:05:08 -0600 (CST)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/522

Message summary for PR#522
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: StartsOnPage doesn't seem to work
	Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 04:05:02 -0600 (CST)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:45:25 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> When adding the following lines to my .fvwm2rc file, every program
> should start on the upper left page of my first (and only) desk.
> 
> GlobalOpts SmartPlacementIsReallySmart, CaptureHonorsStartsOnPage,
> RecaptureHonorsStartsOnPage
> Style "*" StartsOnPage 0 0 0
> 
> However, they didn't. Not even xterm, which behaves perfectly if I
> add the command line option -xrm "Fvwm.Page:0 0 0".  Unfortunately,
> I'm trying to get this feature to work with another program. (The
> "*" style is a test to see if the option requires the programs to
> accept -xrm "Fvwm.Page:...").
> 
> Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
> (I hope the latter; that's easier to fix)

	We would have to see your entire .fvwm2rc file to figure out what's
going wrong. The fact that using the -xrm technique seems to work for
those apps that understand it suggests that there must be something that
is overriding your StartsOnPage style.

	First, try this. See if your .fvwm2rc contains the style spec

Style "*" NoPPosition

If it doesn't please add this and try again.

	If that doesn't work, could you send us your .fvwm2rc file, so we can
take a look at it?

Cheers,
Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Oscar Kind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:37:51 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Bob Woodside wrote:
<cut>
> 	First, try this. See if your .fvwm2rc contains the style spec

It does.

> 	If that doesn't work, could you send us your .fvwm2rc file, so we can

Here it is.

mvg,
Oscar

-- 
   ,-_  Oscar Kind                     Homepage: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~okind/
  /() ) Reclame sturen kost geld: zie m'n homepage.
 (__ (  If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do
=/  ()  have a problem.                         -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:08:50 -0500

> >       If that doesn't work, could you send us your .fvwm2rc file, so we can

	Well, I'm mystified. It works on my system. 

	I had to change a few things in your .fvwm2rc, obviously. The
ModulePath, PixmapPath, and IconPath were changed to fit my system, and
I had to comment out most of the things in your InitFunction, since you
invoke several programs I don't have. I also added a Pager invocation to
your InitFunction so I could easily see where things were (since I had
to comment out your Buttons setup).

	Then I had to add a StartsOnPage style for something, since the only
one you had was for Licq, which I don't have. I tried setting a
StartsOnPage style for "xterm*", on several different pages, and it
worked fine. Then I tried the

that you mentioned in your original note, and tried starting things from
several different desks and pages, and they always fired up on 0 0 0.

	I'm grasping at straws here. Are you, by any chance, running your tests
with no other windows active other than Sticky ones? Since you don't
specify SkipMapping for your StartsOnPage windows, the viewport is
switched to the target page and desk when the app starts; but you would
have no visual point of reference to tell you that you've switched
pages, unless you're looking at the Pager. As I said, I'm really
grasping at straws, because I can't make it fail on my system.

	Can you see any error messages from FVWM startup on the console log?

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:32:12 -0800

Previously from Bob Woodside
>> >       If that doesn't work, could you send us your .fvwm2rc file, so we ca
>> > take a look at it?
>> 
>> Here it is.
>

Hmm, perhaps there's a geometry/placement resource setting? Maybe a
'grep geometry' from your X resources database would be
enlightening... Best of all, maybe a:

xrdb -query | grep geometry

and maybe a:

xrdb -query | grep Fvwm

while we're at it?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"If you lend me some money, it'll be my treat."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]