Subject: Dynamic icon update

From: [email-masked] (Stephane Rosa)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:52:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I have different icons based on window titles/icon names. Depending
on the app currently running in a shell, I would like that
the icon (actually in FvwmIconBox) reflects this app.

Of course by default, the icon is the one reflecting the
window when it opened the first time and does not change
unless I Restart/Recapture all. How could I make
the icon dynamically change when the icon name changes ?

I think of using FvwmCommand and watch for "icon" or "window"
triggers, and send a WindowId $0 RecaptureWindow each time
I get those.

Although I've set RecaptureIgnoresStartsOnPage, it seems that
RecaptureWindow moves the window to its starting place, is that
correct ?

Anyway, is this the only way to do it ?

Thanks !
Stephane

--
SILICON GRAPHICS                 EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
##############################################################
Stephane Rosa                     Tel :     +41 (0)32 843-3638
Business Analyst                  Fax :     +41 (0)32 843-3909
APS/FP  Project                   GSM :     +41 (0)79 448-5335
--------------------------------------------------------------
ircnoc.neu.sgi.com  SGI Intranet  IRC :   EuroOper on #irchelp
irc.stealth.net     Euro-IRCNet   IRC :   Clipper on #radionet
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:48:15 +0100

> the icon dynamically change when the icon name changes ?

I think with the work on update w/o recapture in the last
weeks you should be able to trigger this from FvwmEvent.

> triggers, and send a WindowId $0 RecaptureWindow each time

Yes, FvwmEvent can do this.  You won't need FvwmCommand, though.
(It's a bit slow).

> RecaptureWindow moves the window to its starting place, is that

May be a bug.  Which version do you use?  With 2.3.10 and up
you won't need a recapture to change the icon anyway.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephane Rosa)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:37:52 +0100 (CET)

> weeks you should be able to trigger this from FvwmEvent.

Great! icon_name and window_name are nice triggers... BUT...

With
*FvwmEvent window_name WindowId $0 RecaptureWindow

It sends in fact WindowId RecaptureWindow window_id

- Is there a way to put the window id in the *middle* of a
command instead of at the end ? Why $0 does not work here...

- The other thing is that I can't use FvwmEvent with two
different FvwmEventCmd right ? Either I play sound, either
I update my icons...

Thanks!
Stephane

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephane Rosa)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:40:21 +0100 (CET)

> you won't need a recapture to change the icon anyway.

I have 2.3.10, I will try this again just to be sure. Why is
that I shouldn't need a recapture then ? Do you mean that
fvwm would automatically check for dynamic style changes ?

Thanks
Stephane

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:01:15 -0800

Previously from Stephane Rosa
>command instead of at the end ? Why $0 does not work here...

I don't believe this is currently possible. A patch should be fairly
easy to do though...

>different FvwmEventCmd right ? Either I play sound, either

You can start FvwmEvent under an alias like:

Module FvwmEvent IconHandler

Then configure

*IconHandlerCmd foo
*IconHandlerPassID

etc.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:39:06 +0100

> fvwm would automatically check for dynamic style changes ?

Not for changes in the icon name, but style changes are applied
immediately without the need for 'Recapture'.  I have been working
hard on this for a while now.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]