Subject: feature suggestion: non-blocking window movement

From: Wing Tung Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 16:15:20 +0100

Hello,

I don't know how hard it is to implement it, but I think it looks very
nice and can be useful.

When I start moving a window - using the mouse or keyboard - all window
output seems to be blocked. Other windows can't get on the screen, the
top in an xterm stops refreshing and xclock doesn't tick anymore. Can't
fvwm2 still do the movement without blocking the other output?

Kind greetings,

Tung
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 15:01:47 -0500

> fvwm2 still do the movement without blocking the other output?

What release are you using?

Is this an Opaque move or a rubberband move?

The server must   be grabbed  during  an  rubberband move since    the
rubberbands are Xor-ed onto the background and would cause specs to be
left around if the server wasn't grabbed.  (I believe.)

I just tried  an Opaque move with the  latest CVS and my other windows
continued to update while the move was in  progress.  I don't remember
if this is a new feature, hence my question  about the release you are
using.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Greg J. Badros" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 1999 12:24:58 -0800

> if this is a new feature, hence my question  about the release you are

Fvwm2 has been handling opaque moves w/o grabbing the server for as long 
as I can remember.  It'd be great if someone could figure out how to use 
the overlay plane of X servers that have them to support drawing into
the overlay plane so that grabbing the X server would not need to be
necessary for rubberband moves, resizes, and other overlayed effects.

Greg

---

From: Wing Tung Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:15:21 +0100

> What release are you using?

CVS version.

> Is this an Opaque move or a rubberband move?

Rubberband.

> if this is a new feature, hence my question  about the release you are

I'm used to the rubberband moves, because they seem to be drawn faster.
I didn't know the opaque move doesn't grab the x server. For the moment,
I will use the opaque move for "smaller" windows.

Thanks for the help.

Tung

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:50:28 +0100

> fvwm2 still do the movement without blocking the other output?

The simple truth is: no.  If you move with the wire frame the only
way to make sure it can be undrawn again is preventing all other
screen output.  If you move windows opaque this limitation doesn't
apply.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]