Subject: Default Popup double-click-action is to do nothing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:41:26 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: Chris Siebenmann
Version: 2.2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux (Redhat 6.1)
X_Server: Xig's Xaccel
Submission from: (NULL) (128.100.102.185)

 If you create a menu where the first entry is not the title, and
invoke this menu as 'Popup <menuname>' in an appropriate context in
one's .fvwm2rc, and when you use it immediately release the appropriate
mouse button, expecting to get the first menu entry, you will be
surprised:
nothing happens.

 This is because the code considers this to be a 'double-click',
falls back to the 'default-action' for the Popup, and the default
action is to do nothing. (I believe that the same thing happens for
'Menu' style menus, as well.)

 This may be either a bug or something that the fvwm2 developers
consider a feature. If it is considered a feature, I would like
to argue for why it shouldn't be:

 First of all, it is not documented that the default double-click
action is 'Nop' (indeed, the 'Nop' section of the fvwm2 manpage
suggests that it's not, by labeling this as one use for Nop). I
expect that this is going to surprise people writing .fvwm2rc files.

 Second, forcing people to specify the default menu action in the
Popup invocation means that suddenly one must maintain part of the
menu's contents in two places: in the specification of the menu
itself, and in all the Popup invocations of it. If one changes one
without remembering to change the other, one's .fvwm2rc file develops
peculiar, perhaps rarely occurring 'bugs'.

 Third, doing this at all assumes that the Popup invocation can predict
what entry will be under the mouse when the menu appears. I am not sure
that this is always the case, especially with some of the MenuStyles.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:07:59 +0100

> to argue for why it shouldn't be:

I am the fvwm developer who changed this and I do consider it a
feature.

> expect that this is going to surprise people writing .fvwm2rc files.

I'll check this and fix the man page if this isn't clear.

> peculiar, perhaps rarely occurring 'bugs'.

All true, but ...

> that this is always the case, especially with some of the MenuStyles.

This is exactly the problem.  If you doubleclick a root menu near
the bottom of the screen you will get a random menu item.  This is
especially annoying if you have a long window menu and double-click
window button 1 to close windows.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]