Subject: CVS olicha: * Implemented a synchronous mask that lists the messages that fvwm

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:59:43 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	olicha	99/11/11 06:59:43

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : module_interface.c module_interface.h 
	                 functions.c functions.h 
	libs           : Module.c Module.h 
	modules/FvwmWinList: FvwmWinList.c 
	modules        : ChangeLog 

Log message:
* Implemented a synchronous mask that lists the messages that fvwm
will treat as synchronous. I do that for implementing NoIconAction
for the FvwmTaskBar (in progress).
* Use SetSyncMask in the place of M_LOCKONSEND for NoIconAction
configuration command in FvwmWinList (for an example).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:41:41 +0000

> configuration command in FvwmWinList (for an example).

This looks like a much better way than lock on every message and have
the modules unlock on every message.

Have you got the time to change FvwmIconMan.  I get an occasional hang
with this but I've been unable to get it to core dump when locked. I
suspect FvwmIconMan is causing the lock when several message arrive but
I can't be sure. If you chnaged it to the new style I think the chances
of lock up will be reduced/eliminated.

Another thought: could you try removing the LOCKONSEND command
altogether. We are running short on space for new module commands and
this would free up one.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:38:18 +0100

> of lock up will be reduced/eliminated.

Hello,
Ok I think I will have the time in the 4 next days to do that.

> altogether. We are running short on space for new module commands and

This means that I have also to add the new methode to all send on Lock
module ? This means I think Animate and Auto ... and Gtk! ?
Strange why FvwmGtk is LOCKONSEND. I will take a look to these modules
after I have done IconMan and TaskBar. But, I do know nothing on these modules.
If one want to do one, no problem !

Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:12:38 +0100

> of lock up will be reduced/eliminated.

Hello,
can you say more on this hang: is it a crash (without core file) or
a fvwm freeze ?
In fact I have noted some random TaskBar and WinList crash without 
core file. I have worked on these last night and I see that in fact
the problem come from SendFvwmPipe and that fvwm2 kill the The TaskBar
and WinList in HandleModuleInput (from modules_interface.c) !
It seems to me that IconMan do not have *this* problem and I have
use the SendFvwmPipe of IconMan in TasBar and WinList and the problem
disappear. So, before committing this change I will be interested to
know more on the IconMan hang that you mention.
I say that the TasBar and WinList crash are random, but you may try to
reproduce it at follows:

Open a lot of windows (may help)
Use an app "xyz" which is starticonified.
Do a Recapture
Click on the button which represent "xyz" to deiconify it
Play a little bit with this button
Do a Recapture
Click on the button which represent "xyz" to deiconify it
...

In my machine TaskBar and WinList usually crash at the first or second step.
May be these crash are the crash that mention Nadim Saeed few weeks ago ...

Olivier

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:44:29 +0000

> can you say more on this hang: is it a crash (without core file) or

It was a deadlock caused by FvwmIconMan doing an XSync() when fvwm had
the server grabbed. It doesn't happen now that FvwmIconMan uses a sync
mask for messages.

Cheers,
Tim.