Subject: Window placement & resize: sticky mouse on absolute virtual screen edges

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:03:33 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: Chris Siebenmann
Version: 2.2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux (Redhat 6.1)
X_Server: Xig's Xaccel
Submission from: (NULL) (128.100.102.185)

 I have 'DeskTopSize 3x2' set, and the default style of my windows
includes 'ActivePlacement, DumbPlacement'. If I am in the top-left
virtual screen (the default start), start up a program that needs
its window placed, and then move my mouse all the way to the left
(to place the window somewhere along the lefthand side) and then
move it up or down, the mouse is very 'sticky'; the window outline
lags significantly behind the actual mouse location. The same thing
holds true if I try to place a window along the top.

 I also have
	EdgeResistance 350 16
	EdgeScroll 100 100
set (and no other Edge* settings made).

 More discussion:
This bug actually happens on any edge of any virtual screen where
the edge in question is the 'absolute' edge of the virtual screen
space, and it can happen during either window placement or window
resizing (resizing is generally the only way to get it to happen
for the bottom or the right edge).

The problem code is HandlePaging in fvwm/virtual.c. Particularly,
the code fails to recognize being on an absolute edge as one of
the conditions that mean that paging cannot succeed; because of
this it will 'camp' in the HandlePaging code, mostly sleeping.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:10:12 +0100

> this it will 'camp' in the HandlePaging code, mostly sleeping.

This problem is already fixed in the 2.3.x betas (and believe me,
I would never have fixed it if I had known how much work it would
be :-) ).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]