Subject: Done things, how to send tehm?

From: Javier Carro Tarradell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:41:56 +0100

Hi,

I would like first to introduce myself to everybody:

    My name is Javier Carro and I am studing for Industrial Ingenier in
Spain.
    I have been playing with computers for the last 7 years.
    I have just finished writing a C++ library for 3d graphics on the
top of OpenGL that will be released as soo as I write the doc and find a
name for it (actally it is called "vDriaD")
    I have been using linux the last 4/5 years and always use fvwm 1.24
-> 2.046 -> 2.2 and now Gnome as well.

I have tried with fvwm version 1.24 to write a pin-up menus but the code
was too hard for me at that time.

Later on I have learn Xlib programming, but I find that messing arround
with it to write menus is to hard.
Finally I have thought about using gtk to write modules and so I don't
have to worry about the "event loop".

I have just writen a FvwmDebug like module called GFvwmModule that uses
a window with a scrollable list to show the events from fvwm2 and it has
just taken me 4/5 hours.

How can you send the code to you?
Can you run it and tell me what do you think about?

I have made also a enhancement to fvwmlib.h so it can be used with C++
and added the function
        void FreeFvwmPacketBody ( unsigned long *body ) to free the
memory allocated by ReadFvwmPacket in the same library.

I also think it would be nice to add a function called
SetFvwmDeadPipeCallback( ) to set the callbak function to call when the
pipe is broken and not to define a DeadPipe function.

I will like also your opinion about writing a module to handle the
menus, so we can habe a module writen with Gtk to use with Gnome so
menus have more the "Gnome look" and another with Qt so they have the
"KDE look" and so on.

Sorry for so much writing , bye

    JCT.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:50:21 +0100

> with it to write menus is to hard.

8-) You're talking with the certified fvwm menu expert. I know it's a
pain, but you have full control over what happens. Please *don't*
try writing pinnable menus again without talking to me first. I'm
planning this feature after 2.4 is released. I have already begun
with the preparations, so it would be a shame if we do the work
twice.

> a window with a scrollable list to show the events from fvwm2 and it has

Sounds like a great debugging help.
 
> How can you send the code to you?

By posting it to [email-masked].

> Can you run it and tell me what do you think about?

Certainly, *but* since 2.2 was released, the module interface
changed dramatically, so your module will not be of much use
with the current 2.3.x betas. Could you please fetch the latest
beta release or the sources from CVS and adapt your module?
You will find instructions how to access either on the downloads
page of http://fvwm.org.

> memory allocated by ReadFvwmPacket in the same library.

I can't comment on this since I'm not a module expert. But we have
reservations about adding C++ code. We were able to remove all
dependencies to a C++ compiler in 2.3.x and would like to keep
it this way if possible (because C++ compilers generally give you
pains if you want to write portable code).

> pipe is broken and not to define a DeadPipe function.

Why?

> menus have more the "Gnome look" and another with Qt so they have the

The FvwmGtk module that was added after 2.2 was release does
this for GNOME. If you want to write a FvwmQt module, go for it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Javier Carro Tarradell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 01:13:45 +0100

> with the preparations, so it would be a shame if we do the work

Don't worry, I will finish the GFvwmDebug module first, and later I will
probabily do a GtkFvwmIconMan.

> Sounds like a great debugging help.

Maybe...

> By posting it to [email-masked].

Ok, now I will send an attachment with the files. Please forgive me for not
using CVS yet, because
altought I have been using RCS for some work, I don't know CVS at all and I
have a slow dial-up link.
I have tried to make a proper Makefile.am and modified configure.in to enable
C++, I will read the autoconf, automake doc as soon as possible.
Mean while would you be so nice of uploading my code in my behalf and chek th
Makefile.am and configure.in files.
I am using the fvwm-2.3.9.tar.gz
Thanks a lot.

> You will find instructions how to access either on the downloads

Just done, and I must say that the new API is cleaner.

> I can't comment on this since I'm not a module expert.
> But we have reservations about adding C++ code. We were able to remove all
> dependencies to a C++ compiler in 2.3.x and would like to keep it this way
> if
> possible (because C++ compilers generally give you pains if you want to
> write portable code).

Forget about the function beacuse with the new module API is not neccesary.
The modifications I have made is to make C++ compilers aware that fvwmlib.a
is a C library and there are no problems with linking.
There should not be any problems of portability with C++ compilers, I write
Object Oriented programs that compiles under Visual C++, gnu C++  and
SGI C++.

> > pipe is broken and not to define a DeadPipe function.

So it can be linked by other languages as C++ or something more exotic
without having linking problems. See the my code to see how I have had to
define it to avoid linking problems.

> this for GNOME. If you want to write a FvwmQt module, go for it.

I have just seen it :-D
Sorry but altought I have heard that Gtk and Qt are similar I only have
experience with Gtk, so I will go for a GtkFvwmIconMan.

Bye,

    JCT.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Nov 1999 21:26:52 -0500

%% Javier Carro Tarradell <[email-masked]> writes:

  jct> Ok, now I will send an attachment with the files. Please forgive
  jct> me for not using CVS yet, because altought I have been using RCS
  jct> for some work, I don't know CVS at all and I have a slow dial-up
  jct> link.

Just want to point out that if you have a slow link you should
definitely _prefer_ CVS.  CVS will only update files that have changed
and only download diffs (patches) and automatically apply them for you:
it will be a lot faster and a lot less bandwidth than downloading a
large .tar.gz file every time you want to update.

We have pretty decent instructions on using CVS on the FVWM web page.
It's not hard at all, really, since you won't be committing anything
(yet?) just updating.

Of course, you do need CVS installed on your system.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:19:41 +0100

> Object Oriented programs that compiles under Visual C++, gnu C++  and

Ah, the problem with C++ compilers is not the code you write but that
you rarely find a properly installed compiler. At the moment I am the
one who builds our releases. If we add a C++ module I will be unable
to do so because by Linux distribution comes with a screwed up
g++ installation.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Javier Carro Tarradell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 01:04:39 +0100

> to do so because by Linux distribution comes with a screwed up

I don't know what distribution you have, I don't even know if you use the Intel
architecture. I use RedHat 6.0 and goes fine.
Abyway I was using C++ because I can define variables everywhere and memory
allocation is simpler, but I have ported the code to ANSI C and also downloaded
the CVS.
I don't have writing access to the CVS tree, so to do not overcharge the list,
    do you want me to mail the sources to you ( [email-masked] ) with a
ChangeLog and you do the update ?

Bye,
    JCT

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 06:06:41 +0100

> ChangeLog and you do the update ?

If the zipped files are not very large (>50k), you can send
them to the list so that everybody can have a look at the module.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]