Subject: Startup logic and recapture

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:10:24 -0500

The latest CVS fixes the problems with restart not remembering the
iconification status.  How you fixed that I'll never know.  The startup
logic had me scratching my head.

Its funny how you fix one thing, and an old symptom keeps coming back.

After a restart, none of my root window key bindings work.  I have to
use the mouse once before they start working.

Recapture causes a wire frame to appear for one of my off screen windows.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:11:53 +0100

> logic had me scratching my head.

It's so simple: In events.c, in the paragraph beginning with 

  /* If the window has never been mapped before ... */

I reset isIconicState to DontCareState before calling AddWindow().
No wonder nothing restarted iconic :-)  However, now that I removed
this bit, my ddd windows are again iconified during a restart :-(

> use the mouse once before they start working.

Is it really caused by this particular change?  Do the key bindings
work if you use the old events.c?

> Recapture causes a wire frame to appear for one of my off screen windows.

? As if it had 'ActivePlacement'?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:15:05 -0500

> this bit, my ddd windows are again iconified during a restart :-(

Where's the smiley after "It's so simple?".  (I looked thru the change
and the supporting code.)  Simple for you maybe.

> work if you use the old events.c?

This morning I'm unable to reproduce the problem.

> ? As if it had 'ActivePlacement'?

Yes.

Actually  I  normally  run  with 2  offscreen   windows, a small  one,
(Workman)  and a large one  (Netscape).  I'm seeing the Workman window
appear during startup, but its gone by the time startup is complete.

The Netscape window is the one producing the wire frame.  When I click
or hit return, the window never shows up, its created off screen as it
should be.  So   I think its really   a problem of off screen  windows
being temporarily mapped.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:53:42 +0100

> and the supporting code.)  Simple for you maybe.

Uh, actually it took me several hours.  The patch I made in the first
place was just plain stupid.  *Of course* you won't get iconic windows
at startup if you delete the isIconicState variable :-)  BTW, I don't
understand much of the startup code either.  Whenever something goes
wrong it's hours of debugging.

> being temporarily mapped.

You are not using ActivePlacement for any windows, are you?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:32:19 +0100

> use the mouse once before they start working.

'k, fixed this one.  I accidentally removed the focus from
Scr.NoFocusWin when changing styles (Okay, it was not really
an accident, I was just stupid).

Bye

Dominik ^_^