Subject: Re: Default Popup double-click-action is to do nothing

From: Chris Siebenmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 04:05:25 -0500

[Sorry for the slow turnaround on this:]
| >  Third, doing this at all assumes that the Popup invocation can
| > predict what entry will be under the mouse when the menu appears. I
| > am not sure that this is always the case, especially with some of the
| > MenuStyles.
| This is exactly the problem.  If you doubleclick a root menu near
| the bottom of the screen you will get a random menu item.  This is
| especially annoying if you have a long window menu and double-click
| window button 1 to close windows.

 I still think that the current behavior is a mistake, even given this.
Here's some reasons:
- MenuStyle allows you to control if the pointer will always land on
  the same menu entry, regardless of where the menu pops up, so you
  can insure that this never happens to you.

- there is no indication of what is going on when the double-click
  happens. I actually wound up inserting debugging statements into
  the source base to figure out why sometimes my menu selections weren't
  doing anything. Perhaps the default double-click action should be
  'Beep' or something similar.

- this may still make a sensible default, but there is no way to turn
  it off if you really know what you're doing. I think that there should
  either be a MenuStyle option or an option on Menu/Popup (perhaps in
  place of the double-click action) that says 'do NOT do double-clicks
  for this menu'. 

Hmm. Does setting DoubleClickTime to 0 in the global menu style already
disable this? I'm not sure I follow the code well enough to tell for
sure. (If it does, this could stand documenting and would, I suppose,
deal with my objections.)

	- cks
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]