Subject: wm-icons autoconfiscating

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:30:12 +0000

I've autoconfiscated wm-icons this afternoon.  I have a few questions
before I make it available for testing.

Firstly, there are currently 15 sets of icons.  It would make sense to
split them into about 4 sets, one base one which is always installed
and three optional ones which can be installed via --enable-martyr or
something like that.  Or would we want to be able to selectively
choose each individual set?

Also, is there ever any need to install the 01x01-templates directory,
or should that remain in the source package only?

Another thing: I presume it would be preferable to have the scripts
written as shell scripts rather than Perl scripts?

   Julian

-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:16:03 +0200

> choose each individual set?

Grouping is good enough. I definitely prefer 4 questions instead of
15 or --enable-*.

Like we have discussed already, the packages can be:
  * wm-icons-base
  * wm-icons-general   (or should it be included in base?)
  * wm-icons-penguins  (they are so cute, include into base?)
  * wm-icons-kde
  * wm-icons-3dpixmaps
  * wm-icons-martys

> or should that remain in the source package only?

If you choose to create a wm-icons-devel package directory, it should go
there, otherwise - remain in the source package only.

> written as shell scripts rather than Perl scripts?

There are 3 kinds of scripts:
  * ./configure    - I am going to switch to autoconf
  * in bin/        - probably can be converted to .sh, but not now
  * in devel/bin/  - can remain in perl

Unfortunately I have not much time this month even to switch to autoconf.
I would like someone to help with this (Paul?).
Thank you.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:27:27 +0000

> > before I make it available for testing.

I've *DONE* the work in converting to autoconf.  Please don't bother
to do it again!

>   * wm-icons-penguins  (they are so cute, include into base?)

OK, so I'll do the following:

(01x01-template      None)
14x14-general        base
16x16-general        base
16x16-kde            kde
17x14-3dpixmaps      3dpixmaps
20x20-martys         martyrs
20x20-martys2        martyrs
21x18-3dpixmaps      3dpixmaps
32x32-kde            kde
32x32-kde2           kde
44x52-penguins       penguins
48x48-general        base
48x48-kde2           kde
56x46-3dpixmaps      3dpixmaps
56x56-martys         martyrs
56x56-martys2        martyrs

That's one base and four optional sections.

>   * ./configure    - I am going to switch to autoconf

Almost done.

>   * in bin/        - probably can be converted to .sh, but not now

Working on it ;)

>   * in devel/bin/  - can remain in perl

Agreed.

I'll let you all have the results in a day or two.

   Julian

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 01:21:28 +0200

> I've *DONE* the work in converting to autoconf.  Please don't bother

Ah, is this a new jargon, I mean "autoconfiscated"? :)

> OK, so I'll do the following:

I always wanted to know why you spell it "martyr"? :)

> That's one base and four optional sections.

Ok. This just mean that we badly need to clean general icon sets, included
with the base.

> I'll let you all have the results in a day or two.

Fine. Take your time.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Nov 1999 23:03:45 -0500

%% Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

  mg> Unfortunately I have not much time this month even to switch to autoconf.
  mg> I would like someone to help with this (Paul?).

It sounds like Julian is already doing it.  Which is good, because I'd
like to help but I'm completely over my head right now, and have been
since Sept.  No idea when the madness wil abate...  I don't even get to
update my FVWM sources more than once a week or so :).

Anyway, I don't have time to convert anything myself but I'll be happy
to check out the good work I'm sure Julian is doing, when he's done, and
make comments or send patches if there are any to be made or sent.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:37:10 +0000

> Ah, is this a new jargon, I mean "autoconfiscated"? :)

I guess ;-)

> I always wanted to know why you spell it "martyr"? :)

'Cos I can't reed and I deffeenately cant spel.  ;-)
And "martyrs" is an English word, "martys" isn't.
And I hadn't read the README file to understand the name :-(

> Ok. This just mean that we badly need to clean general icon sets, included

OK -- someone else's job.

   Julian