Subject: strange pager events

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:52:10 +0100

I noticed that the pager balloons flicker when you press button
1 in a mini window in the pager.  I found out that pressing the
button causes a LeaveNotify, then an EnterNotify and finally
a LeaveNotify.  When the button is released, another EnterNotify
follows.  No wonder the balloon flickers (it's mapped/unmapped
every time a window is left/entered).  I'm puzzled; where do
these events come from?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:55:33 +0100

> every time a window is left/entered).  I'm puzzled; where do

I've noted some similar "strange" events with the TaskBar. I do not
know where they come from, but you may perhaps detect such events
by a test like:

 if (Event.xcrossing.mode != NotifyNormal)
 { /* strage event */

Olivier

-- 
[email-masked]
"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 02:06:58 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:55:33 +0100
Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> 
>  if (Event.xcrossing.mode != NotifyNormal)

Guys, I don't see this on fvwm 2.3.3 on a linux box (XFree86 3.3.5).
A button press unmaps the balloon, but that is on purpose. I put the
following in x_pager.c (line 589) a long time ago:

    case ButtonPress:
      if ( ShowBalloons )
        UnmapBalloonWindow();

because moving a mini window left the balloon behind in the old
location, which looked silly.

Playing with xev I find that the main window generates the following
for a mouse click:

  ButtonPress
  ButtonRelease

as expected. In the sub-window I get:

  ButtonPress
  EnterNotify
  KeymapNotify
  ButtonRelease
  LeaveNotify

I'm guessing main window is entered in order to pass the KeymapNotify
to it instead of the sub-window, then left again to return to the
sub-window.

You could try sticking a test for the sub-window in front of the
call to UnmapBalloonWindow().

Ric

Richard J Lister
Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878.
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:06:31 +0100

> following in x_pager.c (line 589) a long time ago:

Yup, that was the place where I started debugging.  BTW, shouldn't
button 1 leave the balloon mapped?  I see no reason why not since
with a button 1 click you can't drag the mouse anyway.  Of course
this won't work at all before this enter/leave problem is solved.

> to it instead of the sub-window, then left again to return to the

Can you try putting a fprintf just behind the EnterNotify and
LeaveNotify labels?  And if that doesn't help, can you try 2.3.10?

> call to UnmapBalloonWindow().

All the EnterNotify and LeaveNotify events that the pager received were
for the subwindow, so this won't help.  I tried a workaround already
(keeping the state of the button), but that failed miserably.  I guess
the only good fix will be to suppress the events.

Bye

Dominik ^_^