Subject: building releases

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:33:53 +0200

I think we have a problem with our next releases at the moment.

 1) I can't build the 2.2.3 release because my C++ installation
    doesn't pass configure's tests (I posted a question a week
    ago but obvoiusly nobody knows what's going on).  If I can't
    get this running I need a volunteer to build 2.2.3
    (with --enable-extras).  Just in case nodoby noticed my mail,
    here is the error from config.log again:

      configure:1943: checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works
      configure:1959: c++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
      /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crtbegin.o: No such file or directory
      configure: failed program was:

      #line 1954 "configure"
      #include "confdefs.h"

      int main(){return(0);}

 2) We can't guarantee that further releases work because of these
    autogenerated files in FvwmScript.  The problem is that on my
    machine these are built every time I compile, but then CVS
    complains about the new files and refuses to check out the old
    copies from CVS.  In the end, the releases I build do not
    match the tagged code in CVS.  I'm sure that will cause trouble
    soon.  Any ideas what can be done about this problem?  I think
    this is a showstopper for 2.4.
 
Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:53:53 +0100

Dominik Vogt wrote:
>     doesn't pass configure's tests

Sorry, can't help, my C++ is also broken.

>     autogenerated files in FvwmScript.

If we remove the autogenerate files we force everyone to rebuild them. 
I think we are in for problems if this happens: there were a few reports
of lex failing. I would prefer to include the generated files and have a
method of not generating them.  They only need to be generated once by
the person that modifies the lex and yacc files (correct me if I'm
wrong) so a method of excluding the .y and .l files from
automake/autoconf might work.

Maybe just removing the .l and .y from FvwmScript_SOURCES, adding them
as EXTRA_DIST files and including a Makefile.lex would be a solution. It
would only be needed when changing the script language.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:04:37 +0200

>      (with --enable-extras).  Just in case nodoby noticed my mail,

I thought that --enable-extras was obsolete, right ?

I didn't update my tree since quite a long time, I'll do it
and see if my C++ environment works fine. It's not really gonna
help you anyway, since I'm using SGI Irix CC... :-)

At least we'll see if it's broken all over the place or just
with gcc.

Cheers
Stephane

-- 
SILICON GRAPHICS                 EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
##############################################################
Stephane Rosa                     Tel :     +41 (0)32 843-3638
Business Analyst                  Fax :     +41 (0)32 843-3909
APS/FP  Project                   GSM :     +41 (0)79 448-5335
--------------------------------------------------------------
ircnoc.neu.sgi.com  SGI Intranet  IRC :   EuroOper on #irchelp
irc.stealth.net     Euro-IRCNet   IRC :   Clipper on #radionet

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:30:27 +0200

> I thought that --enable-extras was obsolete, right ?

Right.  But you may not have noticed that I'm talking about 2.2.3,
I.e. a new bug fixing release in the stable 2.2.x series.  And in
2.2.x the --enable-extras is still necessary to build a release.

> At least we'll see if it's broken all over the place or just

:-) I hate C++ compilers :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:32:01 +0200

> would only be needed when changing the script language.

Whatever the solution could be (I can be no help here), I wonder
why this worked before.  There must be some vital difference
between the files in CVS and the former versions.  I never had to
built the offending files before and I never had a conflict when
checking out.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:40:17 +0100

> built the offending files before and I never had a conflict when

I just noticed that .cvsignore listed the files that are causing
trouble.  Try an update and see if it has gone away.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Andreas Dischinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:14:24 +0200

>       configure: failed program was:

Hi Dominik,

I think you have the same problem I got a few weeks ago. You may want to
edit the file /usr/lib/gcc-lib/...../specs. There you should add the full
path to crtbegin.o.

Andi
-- 
   //|       |\\
  //||       ||\\         http://andi.degnet.de/
 //=||       ||//         email: [email-masked]
//  ||ndreas |//ischinger

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 12 Oct 1999 11:20:37 -0400

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> I think we have a problem with our next releases at the moment.

  dv>  1) I can't build the 2.2.3 release because my C++ installation
  dv>     doesn't pass configure's tests (I posted a question a week
  dv>     ago but obvoiusly nobody knows what's going on).

Can't we remove the C++ check from the 2.2.3 release as well?  I thought
the only module that needed it was removed from 2.2.x already?

  dv>       configure:1943: checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works
  dv>       configure:1959: c++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
  dv>       /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crtbegin.o: No such file or directory

Your C++ compiler is mis-installed; that file (crtbegin.o) is supposed
to be installed in the /usr/lib/gcc-lib/.... directory for your
compiler.  If "c++" can't find it but "gcc" can, that means they're
different versions or something.

Do this:

  $ touch conftest.C
  $ c++ -v -o conftest conftest.C

It'll probably give you an error message during the link, but the -v
option will show you the directories it's looking at for everything.

Sounds like you need to reinstall your C++ compiler.

  dv>  2) We can't guarantee that further releases work because of these
  dv>     autogenerated files in FvwmScript.

It is strange that this used to work and doesn't anymore, but Tim's
solution is simple.

_Don't_ create a new makefile, though.

Just add a new rule into the existing Makefile.am that doesn't get
invoked "normally", like:

  .PHONY: buildparser
  buildparser:
            $(LEX) ...
            $(YACC) ...

or whatever.  Now those commands will be run only when you say "make
buildparser".

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:17:52 +0200

> Sounds like you need to reinstall your C++ compiler.

Thanks for the hint.  Seems that my c++ compiler is egcs while my
c compiler is gcc.  Hm, I bet if I install the egcs package too
this will work again.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:39:42 +0200

> trouble.  Try an update and see if it has gone away.

Yup, this fixed it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 05:02:41 +0200

> the only module that needed it was removed from 2.2.x already?

Which module was requiring c++ again?  FvwmConfig?  This one is still in
2.2.3.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:07:57 +0100

>             $(YACC) ...
I did this and it works but it doesn't generate the rules to get the .c
from the .l or .y.  I managed to get it working by copying and old
Makeilfe but I guess this is not very portable since other lexs and
yaccs may behave differently. I currently have:

.PHONY: buildparser

buildparser:
        $(LEX) $(AM_LFLAGS) $(LFLAGS) scanner.l && mv lex.yy.c scanner.c
        $(YACC) $(AM_YFLAGS) $(YFLAGS) script.y && mv y.tab.c script.c
        if test -f y.tab.h; then \
        if cmp -s y.tab.h script.h; then rm -f y.tab.h; else mv y.tab.h
script.h; fi; \
        else :; fi

Is there a way to get automake/autoconf to generate the make rules?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:35:19 +0200

> c compiler is gcc.  Hm, I bet if I install the egcs package too

Yup, that did the trick.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]