Subject: Xmu

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:10:25 +0200

Hello,
Can we use the Xmu library in fvwm code ?
Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:06:33 -0400

> Can we use the Xmu library in fvwm code ?

I assume you know more about  the library than I  do.  My research led
me to the Solaris "Standards(7)" man page:

     The only X Consortium standards are the ones  listed  above.
     No  other  documents,  include  files,  or software in X11R6
     carry special status within the X Consortium.  For  example,
     none of the following are standards:  internal interfaces of
     the sample server; the MIT-SHM extension; the Athena  Widget
     Set; the Xmu library; the Xau library; the RGB database; the
              ^^^
     fonts distributed with X11R6; the  applications  distributed
     with    X11R6;    the    include    files   <X11/XWDFile.h>,
     <X11/Xfuncproto.h>,     <X11/Xfuncs.h>,     <X11/Xosdefs.h>,
     <X11/Xos.h>,  and  <X11/Xthreads.h>;  the  bitmap  files  in
     <X11/bitmaps>.

So I guess if you wanted to use it, the prudent thing would be to
surround it with a feature test in the configure script.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:58:40 -0400

> surround it with a feature test in the configure script.

Ok, I take that back.  The O-Reilly books say "it should be available
on virtually all machines".

Plus  old versions of fvwm made  references to the headers even though
they didn't seem to actually use any functions in the libraries.
This was up thru 2.2.2.

I searched  thru all the  programs I have source  code to and although
most  use  seemed  to  be confined  to   graphics  programs, "pixmap",
"Xaw3d", it seems to be used quite a bit.

I then checked to see if I already had libXmu loaded on my machine,
and I found Netscape had it loaded.

Netscape's use looked like this:

fork> /usr/proc/bin/pmap 772 | grep Xmu 
EF560000     80K read/exec         /usr/openwin/lib/libXmu.so.4
EF582000      8K read/write/exec   /usr/openwin/lib/libXmu.so.4
EF584000      8K read/write/exec     [ anon ]

I'm not  sure about the  "anon"  number, but I  think usage  might add
about 16K to fvwm's memory use.  (I don't  know what it would save, or
what functionality you might add with it.)

Bear in mind,  I have little idea what  I'm talking  about.  Since you
asked, I'm guessing that you want some input.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:16:08 +0200

> what functionality you might add with it.)

When, I ask my question there are no Xmu in fvwm. Now I see that there
are in FvwmDragWell ! However, it is in a module code ...
I am still with my "Busy Cursor Patch" (do not know if I never
send it) and I would like to use  XmuCursorNameToIndex for that the user 
can use cursor name (and not only number) in the CursorStyle command. 
However, we can probably do that with hands and as you explain save 
some memory ... ?

> asked, I'm guessing that you want some input.

You know surely more than me about that. I have just see the above
command in my X book and think that it can save my times.

Olivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:34:41 +0200

> are in FvwmDragWell ! However, it is in a module code ...

Ugh, that's bad.

> command in my X book and think that it can save my times.

We had a bug report a few weeks ago because Xmu is *not* available
on all platforms.  Can't remember the details though.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:47:03 -0400

> > > > > Can we use the Xmu library in fvwm code ?
...
> on all platforms.  Can't remember the details though.

Well, it actually is available, although searches thru the mail
archives reveal that sometimes system administrators fail to install
it.  I found one instance on HPUX9 from a few years back, and this
more recent one on AIX:

http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9909/msg00591.html

Since we had the headers being included, but we didn't need them, you
removed the includes, but I don't see any instance of the headers not
being available, just missing.