Subject: make install bug

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:34:36 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: Michael Kirby
Version: 2.3.8
CVS_Date: 
OS: Solaris 2.7
X_Server: Openwindows
Submission from: (NULL) (208.140.33.201)

The basic bug is that make install should not write to the file system.
This causes problems for those who compile as a normal user on an NFS
drive,
and then su to root on a local machine to install.  If make install
writes to the src directory structure, root may not have permissions
on the remote NFS file system.  

Currently it seems to write to the file system for the FvwmTalk sh script.

The final message in the thread is below..

Mike
------------

To:             	[email-masked]
Copies to:      	[email-masked]
Subject:        	Re: Configure fails on checking argument types of select
(Now XPM)
Send reply to:  	[email-masked]
From:           	[email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date sent:      	13 Oct 1999 14:06:57 -0400

%% "Michael Kirby" <[email-masked]> writes:

  mk> I think that a make install (assuming that make has successfully 
  mk> run), should NEVER write to the file system of the source directory.

I agree, this is definitely a no-no.

Can you submit a bug report on it, so we won't forget to fix it before
2.4?  Thx.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management
Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad
Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for
them.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]