Subject: Is multi-head working?

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:08:38 -0700

I just downloaded and compiled 2.3.9, and I'm getting behavior that's
erratic at best.  In no instance was I able to get a usable configuration.

I tried versions back to 2.3.6, and all were getting hundreds of internal
errors, and either freezing or crashing.

I finally tried running with -s, and everything works just fine now, except
that I only have it running on one screen.

I haven't tried paring down my .fvwmrc yet, though I did eliminate the
possibility of external programs screwing things up.

This is also on Solaris 8, if that makes any difference.

Let me know if there's any way I can help debug this.

Thanks,
Danek
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 05:28:03 +0200

> Let me know if there's any way I can help debug this.

Unfortunately none of the developers has a mutiheaded setup.
You are not the first one who reported this.  Perhaps we will
see something if you post the first few errors you get.
Otherwise we'd greatly appreciate if you try to debug this (I
guess from your description that the error occurs very early
in fvwm startup, so you should start looking in fvwm.c).  Can
you find out the first version that shows the problem?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:08:11 -0700

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 05:28:03AM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> Perhaps we will see something if you post the first few errors you get.

Usually a whole bunch of

    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 20, Error 17, EventType: 0

The Request / Error numbers changed; here's the complete list:

    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 0, Error 1, EventType: 0
    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 119, Error 1, EventType: 0
    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 8, EventType: 0
    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 18, Error 5, EventType: 0
    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 20, Error 17, EventType: 0
    [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 6, Error 8, EventType: 0

I can put the whole files up on my website if you think they'd be of any
interest.

It didn't seem to be doing it in a consistent place.  Usually it would
finish parsing the rc file, but not always.  Sometimes it would start
parsing the file again (presumably the second instance of fvwm).

> Can you find out the first version that shows the problem?

Somewhere between 2.2 and 2.3.6.  I didn't have the time to narrow it down
further.  I'll try 2.2.2 to make sure it didn't get introduced there.
There don't seem to be any versions, either released or snaps, between
those two, on ftp.fvwm.org.  I could use CVS to bundle up intermediate
snaps, but my multihead machine doesn't have gcc.  :-/

Oh, BTW -- IconMan, IconBox, and WinList all have fvwm_msg(DBG, ...) in
them, which will neither compile nor link.  I think one of your recent
putbacks took it out of WinList, but not the others.

Thanks,
Danek

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:49:00 +0200

> you find out the first version that shows the problem?

Dominik, you can use Xnest with multiple screens...

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:23:54 +0200

> Dominik, you can use Xnest with multiple screens...

Well, I could if SuSE hadn't removed XNest from their distribution :-(
And since they removed the X sources too I hesitate to compile X
myself.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:42:32 +0200

> And since they removed the X sources too I hesitate to compile X

You could use Xnest on a remote machine...

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 05:18:03 +0200

> snaps, but my multihead machine doesn't have gcc.  :-/

I got Xnest running again and found out it appears first in 2.3.5.
Tim, the only thing I can see that might cause this is the stuff
around Pvisual/Pcmap/Pdepth introduced in 2.3.5.  Any ideas?

Bye

Domiink ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:39:19 +0100

> around Pvisual/Pcmap/Pdepth introduced in 2.3.5.  Any ideas?

Since you are running in Xnest you won't mind if fvwm core dumps.  If
you change the error handler to dump core and run fvwm with -debug (so
it runs synchronously) you should be able to see where the X errors come
originate.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:35:42 +0200

> it runs synchronously) you should be able to see where the X errors come

Oh, I don't need to force a coredump to figure this out.  I already
found the place with ddd:

  #0  FvwmErrorHandler (dpy=0x8085ad0, event=0xbfffed4c) at fvwm.c:1888
  #1  0x4008e099 in _XError () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #2  0x40077a2c in XGetWindowProperty () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #3  0x400a1c19 in _XcmsGetProperty () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #4  0x4009fb51 in LINEAR_RGB_InitSCCData () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #5  0x4009fa03 in _XcmsInitScrnInfo () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #6  0x4009d3d7 in XcmsDefaultCCC () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #7  0x4009d252 in XcmsCreateCCC () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #8  0x4009d51d in CmapRecForColormap () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #9  0x4009da1e in XcmsCCCOfColormap () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #10 0x4007f4da in XParseColor () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
  #11 0x807c068 in GetColor (name=0x808e1c8 "black") at Picture.c:458
  #12 0x8056d97 in SetHiColor (eventp=0x8084864, w=37, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
      action=0x808e19d "black grey", Module=0xbffff238) at builtins.c:1288
  #13 0x806fb5e in ExecuteFunction (Action=0x807f623 "HilightColor black grey", 
      tmp_win=0x0, eventp=0x8084864, context=8, Module=-1, 
      expand_cmd=EXPAND_COMMAND) at functions.c:561
  #14 0x805f3ab in SetRCDefaults () at fvwm.c:946
  #15 0x805ec99 in main (argc=6, argv=0xbffff6c4) at fvwm.c:597

I.e. It coredumps when handling the first line from the RC defaults
in fvwm.c.  But I can't figure out why.  Surely a 'XParseColor'
shouldn't show such weird behaviour.  There must be more to this.

In the mean time I could narrow down the time when this bug was
introduced to a single day:

With

  cvs -z3 checkout -P -D "2 Jul 1999 12:00" -d fvwm-02-jul-1999

everything is okay, but the CVS from the next day has the bug:

  cvs -z3 checkout -P -D "3 Jul 1999 12:00" -d fvwm-03-jul-1999

Now, if somebody can tell me the cvs command to list all commit
messages between these two points in time...

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:44:44 +0100

> messages between these two points in time...

cvs diff -D "2 Jul 1999 12:00" -D "3 Jul 1999 12:00"

This gives quite a big diff (mostly me I'm afraid). I think these
changes includes making fvwm use the fvwmlib GetColor and moving some
Scr.things to globals in libs/Picture.c (Pcmap, Pdepth etc. ). Maybe the
initialisation of the picture library is happening in the wrong place
(too early) and the second head fvwm is using the first head globals?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:48:03 +0200

> You could use Xnest on a remote machine...

I don't have a remote machine at home :-)  Anyway, with SuSE 6.2
Xnest is distributed again (it was missing in 6.1).  Now all I
have to do is upgrade my home machine (yuck).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:07:15 +0200

>     [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 20, Error 17, EventType: 0

Uuuh, that look *really* screwed up.  According to the file docs/error_codes
which describes X errors (I don't have a X manual handy right now):

  Error code:
    BadImplementation 17    /* server is defective */

And an event type of 0 is suspicious too.
 
> further.  I'll try 2.2.2 to make sure it didn't get introduced there.

No, don't waste your time on 2.2.2.  The 2.2.x series is in a separate
branch.

> those two, on ftp.fvwm.org.

The older files are in the testing directory:

  ftp://hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/testing/

> putbacks took it out of WinList, but not the others.

??? Everything comiles fine here.  What are the error messages you get?
Do you use some unusal compiler of configure options?

Bye

Dominik ^_^