Subject: fvwm-2.3.9 & FvwmButtons Panels

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:10:41 -0700 (PDT)

I'm been playing about with FvwmButtons and I can't get the "Panel" to work
properly.

I tried a couple of approaches (from the man pages) and couldn't get either
to work as expected.

--------
Test #1:
--------
  # Make the menu/panel look like CDE
  Style "FvwmButtonsWinOps" Title, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0
  Style "FvwmButtonsWinOps" NoButton 2, NoButton 4, Sticky
 
  *FvwmButtons(Title WinOps, Panel(indicator) FvwmButtonsWinOps \
   "Module FvwmButtons -transientpanel FvwmButtonsWinOps")

  ########## PANEL WinOps
  *FvwmButtonsWinOpsBack bisque2
  *FvwmButtonsWinOpsGeometry -3-3
  *FvwmButtonsWinOpsColumns 1
  *FvwmButtonsWinOps(Title Resize,Icon resize.xpm ,Action Resize)
  *FvwmButtonsWinOps(Title Move  ,Icon arrows2.xpm,Action Move  )
  *FvwmButtonsWinOps(Title Lower ,Icon Down       ,Action Lower )
  *FvwmButtonsWinOps(Title Raise ,Icon Up         ,Action Raise )

Instead of getting ONE button on the main FvwmButtons I get 8 (one per
each line of FvwmButtonsWinOps* and the orig WinOps).  The button titles
are, "WinOps", "WinOpsBack", "WinOpsGeomerty", WinOpsColumns", etc...
The very first "WinOps" button, however, does produce correct results
(ie. it produces a panel when pressed).

The "indicator" arrow (or triangle) was not visible.

I can mail a gif to anyone who is interested..

--------
Test #2
--------
  *FvwmButtons(Icon graphs.xpm, Panel(down, delay 0, steps 16) \
   SubPanel "Module FvwmButtons WinOps")

  ########## PANEL WinOps
  *WinOps(Icon arrows2.xpm, Action Move)
  *WinOps(Icon xcalc.xpm, Action Resize)

In this example I see both the main FvwmButton and the subpanel come-up at
once on a start (or restart) -- in other words, they are both visible at
once without me pressing on anything.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

 - Nadim
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 15:15:00 +0200

> (ie. it produces a panel when pressed).

Oh well, you can't call your panel (or any other instance of
FvwmButtons) 'FvwmButtonsSomething' because fvwm will notice
that the config lines begin with '*FvwmButtons' and send it
to the original FvwmButtons.  You need to use a different
prefix.

>    SubPanel "Module FvwmButtons WinOps")
     ^^^^^^^^                     ^^^^^^

You're trying to swallow a window that does not exist.  The correct
line is:

  *FvwmButtons(Icon graphs.xpm, Panel(down, delay 0, steps 16) \
   WinOps "Module FvwmButtons WinOps")

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday - October.9.1999 [15:15:00 +0200],
 > >    SubPanel "Module FvwmButtons WinOps")

The examples in FvwmButtons' manpage need to be modified then (what I have
noted above is straight out of "FvwmButtons.1")

 - Nadim

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:15:49 +0200

> noted above is straight out of "FvwmButtons.1")

Yup, I know.

Bye

Dominik ^_^