Subject: Random reordering on "restart"!

From: Chris Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:53:01 +1000 (EST)

Hi,
Just built the latest CVS and restarted ... and suddenly all my xterm
windows have done a big switcharoo! (All except one, anyway). What
happens is that I do a "Restart", and all the window-frames disappear
etc. Everything seems to be in its original position. However, when
the frames come back, all my x-terms are displaying the wrong
contents! The frames themselves are the right sizes and in the right
positions.

Did I see a patch about a "stacking order" just go by?

BTW, the "coordinates" box that appears in the top left-hand corner
appears to have a different background colour every time I restart
too.

Cheers,
Chris.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:34:16 -0400

> contents! The frames themselves are the right sizes and in the right

	Ah, but it gets worse! I get multiple xterms not only switching places,
but switching geometries as well. This only seems to affect multiple
instances of the same window, whether within the same application
instance (say, multiple GIMP image windows), or multiple instances of
the app (like the xterm example).

	I've also occasionally observed some downright whimsical re-placement
of windows when they're reparented to root (when the window-frames
disappear) - they get put in places that seem to have no relation to any
place they (or any other windows, for that matter) have ever been. Then
when the Restart finishes, they may be restored to their original
locations...or they may not.

	So far I can see no rhyme nor reason to this behavior. Sometimes
instead of switching places, one window will seem to have disappeared
completely: in this case, I usually find that it's been stacked below
another window of the same type.

> Did I see a patch about a "stacking order" just go by?

	I don't think it's related. I started seeing this yesterday, which was
the first update I'd done in several days.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 02:07:38 +0200

> the app (like the xterm example).

The switched windows are caused by excluding the 'if (Restarting)' code.
Dominik convinced me that this is a bug, not an optimization :).
I have reimplemented the removed code differently.

This would fix windows with the same resource class and name and
command-line and everything switching places. But only on restarts
and not on start-up inside a session manager, weird.

> locations...or they may not.

I don't know anything about why this happens.

> another window of the same type.

Hmm, really strange.
Is this still reproducible?

> the first update I'd done in several days.

It is only related to the raise order. Yes, the original order may not
be preserved temporarily. Can you live with it until I have a time to fix
it, so it does't harm a session manager user?

Regards,
Mikhael.