Subject: FvwmForm & 2.3.8

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dan, a few things concerning 2.3.8 and FormFvwmSetup.  I'm unable to get it
to work for me since I used --prefix on my install.

Here are my steps:
- I copied off my .fvwm2rc to save.fvwm2rc (don't want my orig file clobbered)
- pressed F1
- pressed FvwmButtons, pressed FvwmPager
    now I have 3 things selected "create a starting .fvwm2rc file"
                                 "FvwmButtons"
  			         "FvwmPager"
- pressed F2 (for Copy Config Files)
- pressed F3 (for Restart fvwm)

 after the restart I don't see any change at all (I can see from the Form
 that a number of copies should have taken place, but they don't since they
 are all hard-coded to be from /usr/local/*).  I list my root directory and
 notice that the only new file that was created is ".FvConSocket".  I, again,
 think we need to define something along the lines of "FVWM_MODULEDIR" to point
 to the Form files (or have it be munged during install).  What's so wrong
 with having FVWM_CONFIGDIR, anyway ? ((I could even supply a patch :-))

So instead of,
 *FormFvwmSetup.Command   $(IDN?!/bin/cp /usr/local/etc/fvwm/ConfigFvwmIdent   ${FVWM_USERHOME})
you'd have
 *FormFvwmSetup.Command   $(IDN?!/bin/cp ${FVWM_CONFIGDIR}/etc/fvwm/ConfigFvwmIdent   ${FVWM_USERHOME})

On a related topic, a couple of suggestions:

1. Add the following entries to "ConfigFvwmDefaults"

   Mouse 1 T A Move		# I should be able to move things
   Mouse 1 F A Resize		# I should be able to resize things
   EdgeScroll 0 0		# scrolling is way too confusing to a newuser

2. Add an option to restart something other than fvwm (you can leave it upto
   the user).  Something along the lines of "F4 Restart command-line" and then
   prompt the user for a command to run (ideally it would be another
   window manager in case they get in a bind)

3. As noted in an earlier email, include the version number on the installed
   forms in case the format changes in the future and you have multiple fvwms
   installed.  Something along the lines of, $prefix/etc/fvwm/VERSION/*files*
                                                              ^^^^^^^
4. In FvwmForm's man file the architecture-independent data directory is noted
   as "PREFIX/share" - is that to happen in the future is or is it going to
   stay PREFIX/etc/fvwm ?  I personally like PREFIX/share.

 - Nadim (please cc replies)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:09:50 -0400

>  are all hard-coded to be from /usr/local/*).  I list my root directory and

They are NOT hardcoded to be from /usr/local.

Take a look in  the source at modules/FvwmForm/FormFvwmSetup.in around
line 56:

*FormFvwmSetup.Command   $(BASIC?!/bin/cp xFVWM_CONFIGDIRx/ConfigFvwmSetup ${FVWM_USERHOME}/.fvwm2rc)

There is a "sed" in the Makefile that will change this to whatever you
set the fvwm    configuration  directory during the    "make  install"
process.  I think you might need to do a "make clean".

>  notice that the only new file that was created is ".FvConSocket".  I, again,

I don't know what this file is, but it wasn't created by the setup form.

>  *FormFvwmSetup.Command   $(IDN?!/bin/cp ${FVWM_CONFIGDIR}/etc/fvwm/ConfigFvw

We just went  thru this didn't we?  You   did install into  /usr/local
didn't you?  Or do you need to do a "make clean"?

>    Mouse 1 F A Resize		# I should be able to resize things

I like these 2.  I was on a mission to put a lot more things into
ConfigFvwmDefaults, but I sensed that some users weren't too happy
with the alt-tab binding.

Anyone else think they should not be added?

>    EdgeScroll 0 0		# scrolling is way too confusing to a newuser

Given the way the pointer reacts to the screen edge before it switches,
it always seemed intuitive to me.  I don't know.

>    the user).  Something along the lines of "F4 Restart command-line" and
>    then prompt the user for a command to run (ideally it would be another

Picking option 3, you should be able to restart anything else assuming
you know how.  If you create a starting .fvwm2rc and restart, you can
then escape into the other window managers that we've allowed for.

>    installed.  Something along the lines of, $prefix/etc/fvwm/VERSION/*files*

I think  you can do this by  using configure --sysconfdir.   I believe
you are  requesting that this become automatic.   When  I put 2.4 into
production here,  I will definitely  be using  a  version number.  Not
being the configure guru, I'll leave decisions on changing defaults to
someone else.

>    stay PREFIX/etc/fvwm ?  I personally like PREFIX/share.

"share" vs. "etc"?  Again something for the configure gurus.  I've
made a mental note to fix the man page.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:27:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday - September.27.1999 [16:09:50 -0400],
 > process.  I think you might need to do a "make clean".

OK - I see what's happening.  The "make clean" or even the "make distclean"
won't help -- I'll still get the same results and that's due to the fact that
"FormFvwmSetup." is not removed during a clean/distclean as it _should_ be.
I guess I was stuck with "/usr/local" after my very first 'make' :-/

In other words, a "make clean" now simply does,

  Making clean in FvwmForm
  test -z "FvwmForm" || rm -f FvwmForm
  rm -f *.o core *.core

where-as it should also 'rm -f FormFvwmSetup.'

Someone should modify the Makefile generation...

>From a completely new user's prospective I'd assume that would be pretty
confusing.  Alas, upto you...

 > being the configure guru, I'll leave decisions on changing defaults to

Yup - I was talking about this automatically happening upon 'install' to mimic
libexec's directory structure.

 > made a mental note to fix the man page.

Yup - it was inconsistent that's all -- "share" makes more sense to me :-)