Subject: Removing GlobalOpts for StartsOnPage

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:14:27 -0400

In some other thread, Dominik recently suggested cleaning up some of
the GlobalOpts and changing them to Style options.

	I have no burning desire to see all GlobalOpts done away with. I see no
reason why certain things shouldn't be global. However, StartsOnPage
seems to be responsible for more GlobalOpts than any other single
feature, and it's about to need yet another option (to apply
StartsOnPage to transients, which definitely should *not* be global), so
I'm looking at converting the other options.

	StartsOnPage uses the following GlobalOpts:

CaptureHonorsStartsOnPage/CaptureIgnoresStartsOnPage
RecaptureHonorsStartsOnPage/RecaptureIgnoresStartsOnPage
ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage/ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage

	Does anyone see a good reason why any of these *ought* to remain
global? (I don't.)

	Does anyone feel strongly about leaving the GlobalOpts for backward
compatibility for, say, one release, in addition to having them as Style
options? (I vote against it.)

Cheers,
Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 02:54:25 +0200

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 06:14:27PM -0400, Bob Woodside wrote:
> reason why certain things shouldn't be global.

Neither do I. I would keep the GlobalOpts command itself, but start
moving the window specific stuff into the styles now.

 However, StartsOnPage
> options? (I vote against it.)

I suggest the corresponding global options are removed internally, but
if someone still uses them they are translated to 'Style * <option>'
and a warning that these will be removed soon is issued. We should at
least give people a chance to do notice that they will go away before
we really do it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]