Subject: AutoResizing of FvwmWinList

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:53:09 +0200

Hello,

It seems that there is a problem with the auto resizing
of WinList. I saw some problems when a numbers windows
appear / disappear at the same time: WinList does not resize
as expected.
Try the following (*without* FvwmWinListNoAnachor and with say
*FvwmWinListGeometry +0-0). Open a number of xterm (say 3) and a 
FvwmConsole and send to fvwm via the console: All (xterm) Close.
Then, on my machine the geometry of WinList become something 
like +0-15. 

Olivier

PS: I use the latest cvs, I do not know exactly when this
problem happen to me for the first time.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:57:50 +0100

> appear / disappear at the same time: WinList does not resize

This looks like a race hazard. If two windows are added quickly
FvwmWinList will get the M_ADD message for the first, calculate it's new
geometry and does an XMoveResize.  The wandering happens if FvwmWinList
gets the next M_ADD message before fvwm does the Move, it then uses the
wrong coordinates for the next XMoveResize.

I'll have a play and see if I can fix it. If I can't would you be happy
with a config option that would make FvwmWinList warp to it's original
position all the time? At present if you move it it stays where you put
it.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:49:33 +0100

Tim Phipps wrote:
> I wrote

I've committed a fix for wandering when several window get added or
deleted in quick succession.  Ther may still be some race problems
around Recaptures but I don't think I can fix them.

Cheers,
Tim.