Subject: Auto-Hide ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:29:16 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: Nadim Saeed
Version: 2.2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: 
X_Server: 
Submission from: (NULL) (207.137.158.177)

Is it possible to add a style (or a command) that would "auto-hide" things
(similar to what FvwmTaskBar's AutoHide does) and have it act on misc
windows.

What I'm getting at is, it would be _great_ to have the ability to select
auto-hide (in a menu/mouse-binding or invoke it as a style within
.fvwm2rc - similar to how 'sticky' is treated today) and then click on
a window (xterm/FvwmButtons/FvwmWinList/etc) and just see a 1-2 pixel
ribbon.  The ribbon would revert back to its normal state upon a
mouse-enter event and would be as wide as the edge of the autohidden
window.

Possible syntax examples,

  Style "*"             AutoHide
  Style "FvwmButtons"   AutoHide

  AddToMenu WindowOps-Popup
  +     "WindowOps"     Title      
  +     "Auto-Hide"     AutoHide

There are a couple of ways of doing this,

 1. Auto-Hide would only work on windows that have at least one side
    abutted to the edge of the screen (similar to Windblows' task-bar).
    If there is more than one edge abutted to the screen, use the
    longer-sized edge.  If all edges are the same size, use the edge that
    doesn't impede on a previous autohidden window.  If there already are
    autohidden windows on all the edges, create a 1-2 pixel ribbon 1-pixel
    above whatever is already there.  In other words, one would have the
    ability to Auto-Hide multiple windows on the same edge and have a
    ribbon (or line) for each hidden window.

 2. Auto-Hide would kinda act like 'WindowShade' in the sense that the 1-2
    pixel ribbons don't have to be anchored to any screen edge at all.
    They can float and reside anywhere one chooses to auto-hide a window.

BTW: this option (or style) could be incorporated into FvwmAuto (since it
     seems as though it falls in-line with what FvwmAuto does - "raising
     of things")

Thoughts/comments/likes/dislikes ?

 - Nadim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]