Subject: CVS dane: well, looks like there will be one icon in the distribution

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:10:00 -0500 (CDT)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	dane	99/09/14 10:10:00

Modified files:
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmBanner: FvwmBanner.c Makefile.am 
Added files:
	modules/FvwmBanner: fvwm2_big.xpm 

Log message:
well, looks like there will be one icon in the distribution

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:24:29 +0300 (IDT)

> well, looks like there will be one icon in the distribution

And it is ugly... Maybe we just replace it? There is a candidate in:
  http://www.princeton.edu/~alanho/fvwm/

It uses 255 colors vus 6 in fvwm2_big.xpm, but much nicer.
What do you think? At least we must remove '2' from the current logo.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:34:44 +0100

> It uses 255 colors vus 6 in fvwm2_big.xpm, but much nicer.

This is too many colors for the default logo. FvwmBanner might be run
before the ColorLimit command and using up the whole colormap may cause
other programs to fail to start.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:31:45 -0400

> other programs to fail to start.

I'm not sure thats right, the Colorlimit command goes on by default
with 8 bit color.  Also FvwmBanner exits, freeing its colors so
only programs starting while the banner is up could have a problem.

I think FvwmBanner  using 256 colors may fail  to display.  Even using
"close" colors, if you try for too many colors, I've seen xv and other
programs just fail to be able to display at all.

I think I favor having the built-in stay low in color, and I prefer
the image to the logos at the above site.

We don't seem to have a link to the above site.

I'm not sure if we should link to it, or just grab the images and
add them to fvwm-web.  I don't want to create the worlds greatest
icon repository, but it might make sense to collect the fvwm
specific images.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:07:55 +0300 (IDT)

> the image to the logos at the above site.

Ok, I have reduced a number of colors from 255 to 3 (haha) and it is
still much nicer than the current one, so I will make it a default
(until we have results of fvwm-logo contest if any).

> icon repository, but it might make sense to collect the fvwm

I think that a link would be enough. You can include them to fvwm-web
later when the site disappears, for example. Because this or a similar
site can be updated. There are fvwm images in the old context page too:
http://members.tripod.com/~rrrogaine/fvwmlogo.html

Regards,
Mikhael.