Subject: Re: #464 configure bombs at setvbuf test with g++ on Solaris

From: "David G. Boynton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:01:45 -0400

I had the same problem. My LD_LIBRARY_PATH didn't include
/usr/local/lib, where libstdc++ was installed. Fixed LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
all was well. I found this out by "ldd conftest", which showed the
missing link.

BTW, I think it's better for the configure script to assume bad user
setup than to assume cross-compiling. It's much more likely. 
                             
-- 
Dave Boynton
[email-masked], also dboynt4189/[email-masked]
Internet Services, Enterprise Web Hosting
703 265-1082
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 Sep 1999 14:28:08 -0400

%% "David G. Boynton" <[email-masked]> writes:

  dgb> I had the same problem. My LD_LIBRARY_PATH didn't include
  dgb> /usr/local/lib, where libstdc++ was installed. Fixed
  dgb> LD_LIBRARY_PATH and all was well. I found this out by "ldd
  dgb> conftest", which showed the missing link.

  dgb> BTW, I think it's better for the configure script to assume bad
  dgb> user setup than to assume cross-compiling. It's much more likely.

I agree, and I've reported this as a bug to autoconf a while ago.  My
comment was that if the C compiler is detected as normal, but the C++
compiler is detected as a cross-compiler, that should be a sure-fire
error and configure should kick you out.

I submitted another report saying that configure shouldn't try these
kinds of tests for cross-compilation: the vast majority of packages
don't support it anyway and configure should simply report an error,
rather than assuming a cross-compiler, if the compiler links but doesn't
run.  I suggested a flag, either in configure.in or on the configure
command line, to allow cross-compiling.

Hopefully the next version of autoconf will fix these issues.

Note that in FVWM 2.4 we won't need a C++ compiler any more, so this is
a non-issue for FVWM after 2.2.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:08:26 +0300 (IDT)

> command line, to allow cross-compiling.

I find that configure --without-cpp currently does the work.

> Hopefully the next version of autoconf will fix these issues.

This would be good.  Paul, if you submit bug reports to autoconf, can you
please submit a bug report about their autogenerated config.status, which
does not allow parallel generation of AC_OUTPUT files. There is a fix for
this at the and of our configure.in, but they must fix this themselves.

> a non-issue for FVWM after 2.2.

This will not be the case when FvwmKb will be added.
I think that --without-cpp may be a default. This will fix most of the
problems. Am I correct?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Sep 1999 13:51:58 -0400

>> command line, to allow cross-compiling.

  mg> I find that configure --without-cpp currently does the work.

What do you mean?  As far as I can tell there's no --without-cpp option
in either 2.2.x or 2.3.x configure--what does it do?

  >> Hopefully the next version of autoconf will fix these issues.

  mg> This would be good.  Paul, if you submit bug reports to autoconf,
  mg> can you please submit a bug report about their autogenerated
  mg> config.status, which does not allow parallel generation of
  mg> AC_OUTPUT files. There is a fix for this at the and of our
  mg> configure.in, but they must fix this themselves.

You can do it yourself; they have an online bug system via GNATSWEB at
Cygnus now:

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=autoconf&user=guest&password=guest&cmd=login

That's where I (re-)reported my bugs.

  >> Note that in FVWM 2.4 we won't need a C++ compiler any more, so
  >> this is a non-issue for FVWM after 2.2.

  mg> This will not be the case when FvwmKb will be added.  I think that
  mg> --without-cpp may be a default. This will fix most of the
  mg> problems. Am I correct?

I (a) don't know what --without-cpp does, (b) didn't know that FvwmKb
will require C++, (c) don't see how having a default of no C++ will
help, since that means no FvwmKb by default, right?  and (c) would
prefer it didn't require C++ in general.

At any rate, my preference is that we not add any more C++ modules
until/unless we also work out the autoconf issues.  It's _really_ easy
to get an installation of C++ that links but won't run unless you use,
for example, a -R option--autoconf won't/can't set that up for you.  And
personally I'm bored answering these configuration questions :).

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:14:34 +0300

> in either 2.2.x or 2.3.x configure--what does it do?

I mean --without-cxx. It is in both 2.2.x and 2.3.x, but currently it is
commented in configure.in.

> prefer it didn't require C++ in general.

(c) you are right, by default FvwmKb will not be compiled/installed
if it is optional. But it can be included in all binary distributions
(rpm/deb).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Sep 1999 11:45:18 -0400

mg> (c) you are right, by default FvwmKb will not be compiled/installed
  mg> if it is optional. But it can be included in all binary distributions
  mg> (rpm/deb).

OK.  When we add it back, if autoconf hasn't released a new version that
fixes the bugs in this area, we should add some code to configure.in to
do it ourselves (check for cross-compiling and throw an error).

At least we can provide a semi-useful error message.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:56:54 +0200

> At least we can provide a semi-useful error message.

I sincerely hope we won't need a c++ compiler in the future.
I have not been able to build 2.2 with all extras for about
half a year now, so this would mean that I can't build releases
anymore.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]