Subject: 2.3.7 doesn't remember iconification status

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:30:32 -0400

If I have rxvt windows iconified, exit fvwm and start fvwm 2.3.7
it doesn't seem to know which windows were iconfied, at exit, and
it opens my rxvt windows.  This doesn't happen with 2.2.2.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:51:47 +0200

> it opens my rxvt windows.  This doesn't happen with 2.2.2.

Yes, Restart doesn't do what it used to and what I liked it to do.
You can either simmply 'Restart', but then fvwm remembers everything,
including the size and positions of the modules I want to restart,
and when you 'Restart --dont-preserve-state' it forgets about icons
and shaded windows. I don't like either version :-(

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:02:37 +0300 (IDT)

> it opens my rxvt windows. This doesn't happen with 2.2.2.

It is not clear from your message whether you exit using Quit or Restart 
and whether you use session manager. Anyway, AFAIK, 2.2.2 does not have
session support and the only thing it remembers about windows is their
desk and only if you don't exit X, of course.

fvwm never remembers any window state if you exit using Quit and start
it again, even if you use SM (you must shutdown session instead of exiting
fvwm). If you exit using Restart, it must remember window states for
versions starting from 2.3.0.

If your 2.3.7 doesn't remember iconification state on Restart can you
please give more details (say, whether it remembers other window states;
and for others than rxvt windows)?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:28:30 -0400

> desk and only if you don't exit X, of course.

I exit using Quit.  I'm not intentionally using the session manager.
I just looked for an .fvwm_restart file, found one, removed it, tried
everything again, with the same result.

When I exit my window manager, I use "xprompt" to prompt me for the
next thing to run.  (X continues to run.)  I'm getting the problem
when I type in "fvwm2 -v 2.3.7".  (There's an fvwm2 shell in the
picture.)  When I type in "fvwm2 -v 2.2.2", my windows come back the
way they were when I exited.

> versions starting from 2.3.0.

I don't think thats correct.  2.2.2 and before always restored all my
windows to the correct iconification and desk state.

> and for others than rxvt windows)?

XEmacs, xlogout and contool are coming back iconfied.  The only windows
that change state are rxvt windows.  (Just added an xterm window.  It
also doesn't remember its state.)

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 01:10:09 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Dan Espen wrote:

> > and whether you use session manager.
> 

The name .fvwm_restart is not used anymore, it was renamed, but one is
not supposed to remove the restart file anyway, it is autodeleted on
restarts and not used otherwise (when you do Quit, for example).

> > fvwm never remembers any window state if you exit using Quit

Oh, I am not correct here, iconification is restored for 2.2.

> also doesn't remember its state.)

Hmm, I can't reproduce this. For me nothing is restored for the current
version when I do Quit and start fvwm from xterm again.
Maybe someone who familar with Recapture code can help here. Matthias?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:30:14 -0400

> and shaded windows. I don't like either version :-(

I think this should be on the 2.4 "must do" list.

It would also be nice if we stopped all the extra window reparenting
that happens during startup.