Subject: Notification: incoming/456

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:23:30 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/456

Message summary for PR#456
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 54, Error 4, EventType: 18
	Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:23:28 -0500 (CDT)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:25:43 +0200

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 11:23:30AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>...
> Full_Name: Aron Griffis
> Version: 2.2.2
> CVS_Date: 
> OS: Tru64 V5.0
> X_Server: Xdec
> Submission from: (NULL) (192.208.46.34)
> 
> 
> I don't know how to reproduce the bug, so this bug might be untrackable.
> I start xscreensaver, leave the workstation for the night, and by morning
> it is back to xdm login.  Here is (I believe) the relevant portion from 
> .xsession-errors:
> 
> [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
> [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 54, Error 4, EventType: 18
> /usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-command: activating.
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> 
> >From this log, and from the fact that this never happens during the day
> while I'm using the machine, I think the problem is interaction between
> xscreensaver and fvwm.
> 
> One other note that might be of interest is that I'm running dual-headed,
> and never saw this problem before adding the second monitor.  I tried
> upgrading to the 19990906 snapshot to see if that would solve the problem,
> but it first wouldn't even start dual-headed.  I gave it the "-s" option,
> but then modules wouldn't work, so I gave up.

Can you perhaps try out fvwm-2.3.7? If it doesn't run on dual-headed
either, can you provide details on how it fails?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Aron Griffis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:43:21 -0400 (EDT)

> either, can you provide details on how it fails?

I downloaded fvwm-2.3.7 to try it.  It fails compilation on Tru64 5.0
with the following error, so I haven't been able to try it yet.

cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I../libs                -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.7\"        -DFVWM_CONFIGDIR=\"/usr/local/etc/fvwm\" -g -c menus.c
cc: Error: fvwm.h, line 450: Missing ";". (nosemi)
extern void Done(int, char *) __attribute__((__noreturn__));
------------------------------^
cc: Warning: menus.c, line 3187: In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value "&best_tile_width" is "int", which is not compatible with "unsigned int". (ptrmismatch)
                                &best_tile_width, &junk))
--------------------------------^
cc: Warning: menus.c, line 3187: In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value "&junk" is "int", which is not compatible with "unsigned int". (ptrmismatch)
                                &best_tile_width, &junk))
--------------------------------------------------^
make: *** [menus.o] Error 1

-- 
Aron Griffis            Compaq Computer Corporation, ZKO3-3/T30
Tru64 Hardware Support  110 Spitbrook Rd, Nashua, NH  03062
603/884-1276            http://bigfoot.com/~agriffis/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 22 Sep 1999 10:05:02 -0400

%% Aron Griffis <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> either, can you provide details on how it fails?

  ag> I downloaded fvwm-2.3.7 to try it.  It fails compilation on Tru64 5.0
  ag> with the following error, so I haven't been able to try it yet.

This has been fixed in the sources for a while (since about the day
after 2.3.7 I think :).

Try a recent daily snapshot.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:38:52 +0200

> extern void Done(int, char *) __attribute__((__noreturn__));

In the meantime 2.3.8 has been released. Should be available on our
ftp server now. The __attribute__((__noreturn__)) problem is fixed
there.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Aron Griffis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:12:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Try a recent daily snapshot.

I've just tried compiling the following snapshots, and all fail
compilation on FvwmScript.  I've included in the following snippet a
warning that appears in large quantity throughout the compilation.

cc: Warning: ../../libs/Colorset.h, line 52: There is no function named LoadColorset defined in this compilation unit. (nofunc)
inline int LoadColorset(char *line);
-----------^
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../..      -g -c scanner.c
cc: Severe: scanner.l, line 2: Cannot find file "script.h" specified in #include directive. (noinclfile)
# include "script.h"
--^
make[4]: *** [scanner.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/users/agriffis/dl/toinst/fvwm/fvwm-snap-19990920/modules/FvwmScript'

---

From: Aron Griffis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

> warning that appears in large quantity throughout the compilation.

Sorry, I forgot to include the snapshots.  They are

fvwm-snap-19990920.tar.gz  fvwm-snap-19990922.tar.gz
fvwm-snap-19990921.tar.gz  fvwm-snap-19990923.tar.gz

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 02:38:44 +0200

> warning that appears in large quantity throughout the compilation.

Okay, work is already in progress on this problem. Please ignore it
for the moment and just see if your original problem goes away.
You won't need FvwmScript to verify this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Aron Griffis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:56:47 -0400 (EDT)

> You won't need FvwmScript to verify this.

Okay, results:

* fvwm-19990923 freezes trying to start up on both heads.  There are
  no clues in the .xsession-errors, but doing a ps from another
  terminal shows that two fvwm2 processes are running.  To get it
  started, I did

    fvwm2 -s
    fvwm2 -s -display :0.1

* FvwmPager doesn't start, and doesn't give any clues in
  .xsession-errors why not.

* I'll know tomorrow morning if it dies during the night!  I haven't
  had it die since I stopped using xscreensaver, but I'm still
  mystified why that would be killing it.  I also haven't tried using
  xscrensaver with a different wm to find out if that fixes the
  problem, so I have some testing to do.

Thanks,
Aron

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:13:31 +0200

>   .xsession-errors why not.

Does it leave a core file somewhere? If yes can you check where it
crashes?

  # gdb FvwmPager core
  (gdb) where

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Aron Griffis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:17:59 -0400 (EDT)

> Does it leave a core file somewhere? If yes can you check where it

Sorry, there is no core file, and my ulimit is set properly.

It appears that no modules will start properly.  My limited testing
has revealed that FvwmTalk freezes the wm (must be killed from a
remote terminal), FvwmAnimate doesn't start, FvwmAuto doesn't start...
But since FvwmTalk freezes, it does appear to be finding the modules
properly.

I do intend to research this further to provide you with more
information, but at the moment I've been swamped in work, which is why
these reports have been coming sporadically.  Sorry.

> >   problem, so I have some testing to do.

It did die during the night.  I will try again this weekend using
another wm to verify that the problem is at least related to fvwm.

Thanks,
Aron

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:22:17 -0400

> another wm to verify that the problem is at least related to fvwm.

If you are starting any modules in your .fvwm2rc, make sure
they are started from the InitFunction or the new StartFunction.

Modules that don't terminate, like FvwmAnimate can no longer be
started any other way.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Aron Griffis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:12:57 -0400 (EDT)

> Modules that don't terminate, like FvwmAnimate can no longer be

This is my current setup.

AddToFunc InitFunction
+ Module FvwmPager *
+ Module FvwmAnimate

AddToFunc RestartFunction
+ Module FvwmPager *
+ Module FvwmAnimate

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:18:51 -0400

> AddToFunc RestartFunction

Aron, I've been busy getting my new home machine working, and I've
lost track of this.

The problem was "fvwm hanging during startup", and you mentioned:

I don't see FvwmTalk or FvwmAuto in the above.
If they are there and you just cut them out, perhaps it would be
useful to attach dbx to one of the fvwm processes and see what its
doing.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:59:36 +0200

> another wm to verify that the problem is at least related to fvwm.

If things run smoothly I will get a dual-headed setup running
on my home machine this week (believe me or not: only to debug
fvwm). I will look deeper into the problems you reported when
I have it up and running.

Bye

Dominik ^_^