Subject: bugs/comments - 2.3.8

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:37:06 -0700 (PDT)

General comments about 2.3.8 (bugs/pics to follow below).

Comments:
 a. WinList has a tendency to quit (or crash without any error messages or
    indicators) after numerous iconify/deiconify events (will try to narrow
    it down).
 b. If one goes ballistic on switching pages (do it as fast as you can as
    long as the pager follows-along for about 30seconds) you'll notice that
    every once in awhile the window mapping gets royally messed-up and
    then corrects itself.  I've seen it happen once on normal speed switching.
 c. I've seen instances when the pager seems to refocus (or refresh) itself
    (happens more often with maximized windows).  The pager flickers.
 d. In Netscape, if I Meta-o and then take the focus away from the transient
    (I use mousefocus - ie. enter the transient and then leave) the transient
    refreshes itself (flashing affects that looks kinda ugly).
 e. Don't like the default fvwm banner (the older one had character :-)
    This is more cosmetic than anything else - and yes I know I can change it.
    This will be settled with the contest, I'd guess.

Bugs:
 I'm MIME-attaching a tar file that includes xwd files (use xwud -in * to
 view) of before and after snapshots of the pager and winlist to show the
 differences.  Note, there are no changes to my .fvwm2rc file (ie. results
 ought to be identical) - the .fvwm2rc is included as well.

 1. On the pager, note the window border color.  Its white under 2.3.8 instead
    black (in 2.2.2).  Also note the fvwm sticky windows are not green-colored
    (as in 2.2.2), instead they're blue.

 2. On the WinList, note the iconfied buttons - different button/text colors.
    NOTE: The 2.2.2 pic is narrower in width due to the fact that I always
          comment out line 860 concerning the "Magic Number" in FvwmWinList.c
          There were emails (and a bug report in Jitterbug) about the topic.

 Compiled on: SunOS cosmo 5.5.1 Generic_103640-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
 Running  on: exceed-6.1.0.0

Let me know how I can help.

 - Nadim (please cc replies)

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:54:37 +0100

>     (as in 2.2.2), instead they're blue.
The window borders were changes as part of putting colorsets in. The
color is no longer fixed at black but is the same as the text color. The
green blue does look like a bug though.

>           There were emails (and a bug report in Jitterbug) about the topic.
There are some new options: *FvwmWinListIconFore and
*FvwmWinListIconBack. If you don't specify them you get the default of
black and gray.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:40:01 +0200

> green blue does look like a bug though.

I'm not sure that is the correct thing to do. Usually the border colour
derives from the background of the area, not from the text colour.
The contrast between text and background is usually high, but you don't
necessarily expect a high contrast between the background and the border.
Shouldn't the shadow colour be used instead?

> *FvwmWinListIconBack. If you don't specify them you get the default of

The man page states something different:

       *FvwmWinListIconFore color
              Specifies the color to use for the button names for
              windows  that  are iconified. If omitted, the color
              from FvwmWinListFore is used. Cancels  *FvwmWinLis
              tIconColorset.

(same for IconBack)

This seems to be the right behaviour.

I have already a patch to solve the problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:47:14 +0100

> Shouldn't the shadow colour be used instead?

You can have this already with *FvwmPagerWindow3dBorders.
Cheers,
Tim.