Subject: Re: Three patches for fvwm-2.3.6

From: Mark Rainford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:05:19 +0100

Dominik,

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 13:49:35 +0200 Dominik Vogt wrote:
> 
> On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 05:59:21PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> > Wed, 1 Sep 1999 02:28:10 +0200 Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > ... Does this suggest the toggling thing should be dropped
> > altogether? My patch for RaiseTransientStrict could simply become normal
> > behaviour for RaiseTransient and RaiseTransientStrict would be removed
> > as a separate style.
> 
> It might be useful if someone doesn't have move and raise bound to the
> same button. And I'm not sure what to do to remove it again. I think it
> should stay in, but not as the default.

Okay: in, but not the default.

> > ... Should I send complete
> > replacements for my earlier patches against 2.3.6, or should I ...
> The best way is to use CVS. There are instructions how to set it up
> on the web page (a link from the downloads page)...

Aaaahhh ... so that's how to use CVS: what a great page! Thanks for the
pointers.

> > > And don't forget
> > > that 'strict' affects raising as well as lowering.
> >
> > I don't understand how strict affects lowering. What am I missing?
> 
> The non-strict version we have now toggles the main window above and
> below transients at the bottom of the stack if you repeatedly lower
> it. It's the same as with raising, but at the bottom instead of at
> the top.

Hmm ... it doesn't happen for me in any version (using Alt+F3=>Lower to
avoid possible influence of a mouse click), nor can I see the code which
does it: as far as I can tell there would need to be some more logic in
fvwm/stack.c(must_move_transients). However, it makes sense to mirror
the "top of layer" behaviour.

> > then we are left with just
> >
> >    (i) removal of RaiseTransientStrict as a separate style, and
> >   (ii) incorporation of RaiseTransientStrict behaviour into
> > RaiseTransient .
> >  (iii) no need for (Dont)StackTransientLenient
> >   (iv) a parent window with RaiseTransient will never toggle above its
> > transient
> 
> Hm, I really don't know if anybody would use the Raise/LowerTransient
> styles we have at the moment. If they are useless I'd remove them.

Now you really *are* trying to wind me up aren't you :-? I got involved
because my site relies on Raise/LowerTransient Motif behaviour. I vote
we keep them.

So ... is this where we stand ?

(1) RaiseTransient - as now.
(2) LowerTransient - as now with addition of toggling main above+below
its transients to be described in the man page, and made to work for me
too.
(3) New style (Dont)StackTransientLenient which augments
Raise/LowerTransient by (not)allowing the toggling, and has no effect if
neither of the two is used (from your suggestion Thu, 2 Sep 1999
02:55:56 +0200).

> > Oh, one more newbie question: what is the policy on "To: fvwm-workers"
> > vs. "To: you" ?
>
> I prefer discussing everything on the fvwm-workers list. I have a different
> mail address at work and I have to patch the 'From' field in my mails to make
> sure I get relplies at home too. Unless you want to send huge patches or
> screenshots (>50k) there is no need to send private mail.

Okay.
-- 

Regards,  Mark.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:57:22 +0200

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 06:05:19PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> fvwm/stack.c(must_move_transients).

:-p I mean, you know what I want and know much better what's in the code.
I'll just not try to guess what I coded once upon a time.

> neither of the two is used (from your suggestion Thu, 2 Sep 1999

Ah, no. Raise/LowerTransient should work like your suggested ...Strict
styles and ...Lenient activates the 'toggling' behaviour.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mark Rainford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:51:21 +0100

> styles and ...Lenient activates the 'toggling' behaviour.

Yes! you are right. I do believe we agree :-)
-- 

Regards,  Mark.