Subject: Geometry and Buttons Panel

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:37:23 +0200

Hello,

I like very much (at a user level) the new Buttons panel 
implementation. However, I have a bug report and a suggestion.

First of all the buglette:
When I "unshade" a panel the geometry of the panel
do not seem to be the one expected: 
With my "down" panel the panel seems to far from the
Buttons (3 or 4 pixels): with a NoBorder Style I can see
the background between the buttons and the panel.
With my "up" panel (BorderWidth 5 for this Buttons) the
panel is on the Buttons (not on the Buttons Border, 2 or 3
pixel on the Buttons).
I can send the two Buttons and do more test if the bug is 
not easily reproducible.

A suggestion:
With the old panel implementation we can unshade a panel 
"up", "down", "left" or "right" but also with "geometry"
(then the panel follows the geometry of the panel config in a
relative way). It seems that this feature disappear with the 
new panels (this is right ?). It will be find to get it for the
new panels. My dream is two new relative geometry options,
with one the border come in the computation, with the second one 
the border is forgetted.

Olive
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:51:22 +0200

> panel is on the Buttons (not on the Buttons Border, 2 or 3

The gap you see is a feeble (hard coded) attempt to compensate
the border width of the swallowed fvwm windows.  I have no idea
how I can find out the geometry of the fvwm window.  FvwmButtons
swallows the application window itself, not the window created
by fvwm that is used to draw titles and borders.  It's especially
annoying with the 'down' panel style if the window still has its
title.

> with one the border come in the computation, with the second one 

I'm aware of the problem and thinking about various enhancements
in this area but I'm still not sure how to do it. 

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 13:22:10 +0100

> annoying with the 'down' panel style if the window still has its
FvwmButtons could look for the M_CONFIGURE packet for the panel (not
sure how it would know the windowId to look for). That packet has the
title height and borderwidth in it.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:21:12 +0200

> title height and borderwidth in it.

I have spent several hours trying to find out the border width.
But fvwm does something that defeats all my efforts: when a window
is unmapped it reparents it to the root window again and destroys
its FvwmWindow structure. I need to get the size of the FvwmWindow
before the window is mapped, but at that moment I can't know which 
border width and title height the window would get. Even if the code
were in fvwm itself I couldn't do much.  I'm really stuck. Any ideas
how to solve this problem?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:57:08 +0100

> how to solve this problem?

Would it be possible to map it to an offscreen area and wait for the
M_CONFIGURE packet? If that's not possible how about making an initial
assumption and saving the numbers from every M_CONFIGURE packet that
matched the panel window-id?  It's not likely that the border width will
change often.

Cheers,
Tim.