Subject: Style memory leak?

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 12:48:14 +0100

Why doesn't style.c's ProcessNewStyle free() the tokens returned by
GetNextToken(), as I beleive it's supposed to? The initial free() calls
are "#if 0"'d out ...

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |
 mailto:[email-masked] |        There are 116 days remaining
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:38:18 +0200

> GetNextToken(), as I beleive it's supposed to? The initial free() calls

If I remember correctly we tried to clean up these memory leaks
for 2.2, but it was too complicated without causing a coredump.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:44:04 +0100

> for 2.2, but it was too complicated without causing a coredump.

  Hmm. It looked suspicuously like someone'd left some debug #if's in the
code. I've had a wade through the function, and as far as I can see
(assuming one /can/ always free() the token output of GetNextToken())
they're perfectly OK. I'm trying it with them in in the version I'm
fiddling with.

  Maybe they were part of a more thorough 'insert loads of free()s'
session, /all/ of which got #if'd out, but in the case of style.c it all
looks OK.

  I'll let you know when mine builds!

  For the record, I'm trying to put in a "Style 'SomeStyle*' -" syntax to
remove style definitions. It seemed to fit in with other 'unbinding'
syntaxes (e.g., Mouse), but now I come to write this, maybe DestroyStyle
would be more in keeping that a "-". But then thre's no corresponding
AddToStyle ...

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:41:15 +0200

>   I'll let you know when mine builds!

Can you provide a patch then? (BTW, please include ChangeLog entries in
your patches).

> would be more in keeping that a "-". But then thre's no corresponding

I vote for DestroyStyle instead of introducing a new cryptic syntax
with '-'.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:50:47 +0100

> Can you provide a patch then? (BTW, please include ChangeLog entries in

  I've done that before & had 'em ignored :-/  But I'll start again.

> I vote for DestroyStyle instead of introducing a new cryptic syntax

  So do I, now (I changed my mind)! I'm about to test it. I'll post the
patch to the list when I'm done (instead of email it straight to you,
Dominik) 'cos I'd like it if some others ran with it for a bit, just to
confirm that my style.c memory free()s don't cause funny crashes!

 mailto:[email-masked] |        There are 115 days remaining

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 01:29:46 +0200

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 08:50:47AM +0100, Neil Bird wrote:
> I'll post the

That's always the right way to submit patches.  If you send them
personally to me I will immediately forward them to the list most
of the time anyway.  I may know a lot about fvwm after the year
years I've spent with it, but often I simply don't understand what
patches are doing and rely on others to look at the patches before
applying them.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]