Subject: CVS hippo: Patch from Brad: new config option *FvwmPagerWindowColorsets

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:22:57 -0500 (CDT)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	hippo	99/08/05 11:22:57

Modified files:
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmPager: FvwmPager.1 FvwmPager.c FvwmPager.h x_pager.c 

Log message:
Patch from Brad: new config option *FvwmPagerWindowColorsets

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:30:55 -0400

Tim, alright I'll bite why all the changes to the pager?  I compiled everything and one key problem is the pager doesn't reflect window focus. until I switch pages or desks.  

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 08:22:04 +0100

> Tim, alright I'll bite why all the changes to the pager?  I compiled everything and one key problem is the pager doesn't reflect window focus. until I switch pages or desks.

The borders weren't following the colorsets and it wasn't using the
pixmap backgrounds for the mini-windows.  I forgot to commit a change to
libs/Colorset.c that may be causing your problems. Can you test it now?
If it is still broken can you send your config?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 07:07:54 -0400

> If it is still broken can you send your config?

I see what you mean about the mini windows, but I'm still not getting focus updates on the pager. 

DeskTopSize 2x4
*FvwmPagerFont          -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmPagerHilight       orchid
*FvwmPagerFore          black
*FvwmPagerBack          #515178
*FvwmPagerLabel 0       Home
*FvwmPagerLabel 1       Pitcairn
*FvwmPagerGeometry +0-53

*FvwmPagerBalloons            All
*FvwmPagerBalloonBack         Yellow
*FvwmPagerBalloonFont         -*-lucida\ sans\ typewriter-bold-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmPagerBalloonYOffset      +2

*FvwmPagerColorset 0 0
*FvwmPagerBalloonColorset 0 0
*FvwmPagerHilightColorset 0 1
*FvwmPagerColorset 1 0
*FvwmPagerBalloonColorset 1 0
*FvwmPagerHilightColorset 1 1

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:30:20 +0200

> I see what you mean about the mini windows, but I'm still not getting focus updates on the pager. 

Not that you both get the problem with the window borders wrong:
It was solely a problem of the patch to FvwmPager not setting
the right variables. I fixed that yesterday.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 07:35:21 -0400

> I see what you mean about the mini windows, but I'm still not getting focus updates on the pager. 

Now I see the problem it has to do with *FvwmPagerWindowColorsets we
are using that to the exclusion of the per desk colorsets.  Now I'm not
quite sure how to fix this, I haven't stared at the code in a few days,
but I'll take a look.  I think we want to say that

*FvwmPagerFore is overriden by
*FvwmPagerWindowColorsets which can be overriden by 
*FvwmPagerColorset on a per desk basis

Does that sound right before I proceed?

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:56:19 -0400

> Does that sound right before I proceed?

Well it looks like your last commit fixed this my problem.  But I see
you broke the rule: just on major change at a time.  I just looked at
the version diffs and I see you made some changes to how fonts work so
I'll let you look at Dominik's problem.

As for the rest of the pager it all looks good, I like this tag team
aproach to modules.  I imagine FvwmButtons is going to be the same way
they are just to many config options for just one of us to get it right.

I'm probabbly not going to get to FvwmButtons before next week, so if
you have the time you can make the first pass.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:31:30 +0100

> I'll let you look at Dominik's problem.

I think I've fixed this. The only problem I can see now is that with
your config the focus'ed window doesn't show in the hilight color.

> you have the time you can make the first pass.

Over to you Dominik?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:47:48 +0200

> > you have the time you can make the first pass.

Okay, but I can't promise anything for the next few days. My parents
pay me a visit to see the total ecliple of the sun we have here tomorrow
(70% chance of a cloudy sky :-( ) and they'll stay until the weekend.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:04:48 -0400

> your config the focus'ed window doesn't show in the hilight color.

You better talk me through this one.  My understanding was that if you
don't specify FvwmPagerWindowColors or Colorsets that the window colors
come from fvwm itself.  And that is what I see now

Style "*"               Color Black/#515178
and 
AddToDecor $1 HilightColor   Black #909078

which gives me a pager window that look like the attached.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:49:45 +0100

> come from fvwm itself.  And that is what I see now

Does this mean you don't think there is a bug with focus following?

I got confused because my decor has a hilight that is the same as the
default colors (don't ask me why I don't understand decors) and it
looked like the focus window wasn't hilighted in the pager (it was but
with the same colors!).

I think there might be a bug in fvwm because when the pager first starts
the hilighted window is drawn in the default hilight colors and only
switches to the decor hilight colors when the focus changes. It looks
like the M_FOCUS_CHANGE packet sent in the windowlist isn't using the
decor of the focussed window.

I've fixed the core dump Paul reported (smallFont not specified) so I
think it may be time to let FvwmPager have a rest.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Aug 1999 12:22:08 -0400

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> Does this mean you don't think there is a bug with focus following?

  tp> I think there might be a bug in fvwm because when the pager first starts
  tp> the hilighted window is drawn in the default hilight colors and only
  tp> switches to the decor hilight colors when the focus changes. It looks
  tp> like the M_FOCUS_CHANGE packet sent in the windowlist isn't using the
  tp> decor of the focussed window.

I see this too.

Also, if I restart with some things iconified (into the builtin
iconbox), the pager doesn't show the windows in their proper place or
size when I de-iconify them.  Instead, I get a tiny little window at
0x0.

Anything that wasn't iconfied when I did the restart works OK.

Once I switch to another page, everything starts working again on all
pages.

  tp> I've fixed the core dump Paul reported (smallFont not specified)

Core's gone, thanks.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Aug 1999 12:39:00 -0400

%% [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith) writes:

  pds> Also, if I restart with some things iconified (into the builtin
  pds> iconbox), the pager doesn't show the windows in their proper
  pds> place or size when I de-iconify them.  Instead, I get a tiny
  pds> little window at 0x0.

That's 0x0 in the pager... I mean that I get a tiny window outline in
the upper-left corner of the pager window, instead of a "normal"-sized
outline at the right offset (which wasn't the upper-left corner).

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:48:09 -0400

Paul, it sounds like we missed something here, if everything goes back
to normal on a page switch then, we probablly want to do an XClearWindow
and an Expose right before we hit the main loop.  I'm on my way to a
long metting so if you want to give that a shot.

Brad

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 12:22:08PM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:

>   tp> I think there might be a bug in fvwm because when the pager
>   tp> first starts the hilighted window is drawn in the default
>   tp> hilight colors and only switches to the decor hilight colors
>   tp> when the focus changes. It looks like the M_FOCUS_CHANGE packet
>   tp> sent in the windowlist isn't using the decor of the focussed
>   tp> window.
>
> I see this too.
>