Subject: Perl-based fvwm module.

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 04:08:07 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Olivier Chapuis (in private message) wrote:

> Do you know if there is a project for a kind of FvwmPerlPP ?
> (i.e., one can add perl code in fvwm config files and read it
> via this module ).

No, I don't know about something similar. Sounds interesting. And it is
not very hard to implement in perl. The syntax can be very simple.
Something like blocks of perl code (to be eval'ed) and plain configuration
lines with perl variables (to be expanded). Also it is nice to have an
implementation of fvwm-module protocol in perl. It must be an object
oriented (Fvwm::Module, Fvwm::Packet), so anyone else can inherit to
write his own fvwm-module. This is the hardest part.

Actually, there is a nice object-oriented Barry Warsaw's Python interface
to fvwm-module (for fvwm-2.2?), which can be a good starter. There is a
link from fvwm.org.

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Randy J. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:15:46 -0700 (PDT)

> not very hard to implement in perl. The syntax can be very simple.

It's a thought I've had, as I try to update my X11::Fvwm module to work on
the 2.2 series. But there were some pretty heated discussions a year or so
back, when people started suggesting language support in reference to the
current config file syntax (see discussions of scwm, which was where it
started).

As for the X11:Fvwm module itself, I'm still pretty short on round tuits.
I recently left my contract gig at HP for a permanent gig with RedHat (and
yes, I still use fvwm, to the exclusion of E :-). So I've been mostly all
about todying up loose ends at HP and starting anew at RH here of late.

Randy
-- 
[email-masked]

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware.

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:10:10 +0100 (BST)

> > (i.e., one can add perl code in fvwm config files and read it

There's John Lapeyre's fvwmconf which is an FVWM module written in
Perl.  Might be a good start.  I think there's a link from the FVWM
pages.

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:30:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hullo Julian,

You are the current debian maintainer for FVWM, right? I just installed
debian at home a few weeks ago and now I'm completely hooked on packages.
However, I trashed the old FVWM that came with debian 2.1 and am using a
version compiled from CVS, which lives in /usr/local.  All works fine, but
I don't get the nifty menus of applications that the debianized FVWM had.
What is the easiest way to make the CVS tree work like the debianized one?

One thought I had was to get ahold of your stuff that makes .deb files.
Is that the best way to go?  I know nothing about making deb packages, but
I'd like to learn 'cause I have another utility that I'd like to package
up someday.

Your thoughts?