Subject: Notification: incoming/437

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:50:33 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/437

Message summary for PR#437
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: must call the full pathname?
	Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:50:32 -0500 (CDT)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:12:26 +0200

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 08:50:33AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:

> Why doesn't fvwm use my $HOME/bin when searching for commands?
> 
> It is in my path.

There are several things you could check. First of all fvwm doesn't
use the search path for its modules. You may have to use the
ModulePath command although that is not necessary if you installed
fvwm with 'make install'. If that is not your problem you have to
check your shell configuration carefully. fvwm uses /bin/sh as its
shell, so if you are using tcsh, zsh, ... you may have to make sure
the config file(s) for sh are set up correctly too. Or you can use
the 'ExecUseShell' fvwm command to specify the shell you want to use
for the 'Exec' command.

Hope this helps

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Ruffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:22:39 -0500 (CDT)

The problem is solved- the window manager's environment was
set by CDE, which didn't know about my $HOME/bin.  The fix
required adding $HOME/bin to the $PATH in .dtprofile.

What I don't understand is that by using this fix, it implies that fvwm
looks for executables using its own search path, not by using /bin/sh's
search path, which should come from my .bash_profile.  Confusing.

I tried to post a new note to the bug tracking system but wasn't able.

Thanks for the info.

Chris

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:57:24 +0200

> search path, which should come from my .bash_profile.  Confusing.

No, bash doesn't use the .bash_profile when started as sh. This
is part of the sh compatibility. It looks only for .profile.
Excerpt from the bash man page:

       If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the
       startup  behavior  of historical versions of sh as closely
       as possible, while conforming to  the  POSIX  standard  as
       well.   When  invoked  as  an  interactive login shell, it
       first attempts to read and execute commands from /etc/pro
       file  and  ~/.profile,  in  that  order.
       ...

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:05:37 +0100

> search path, which should come from my .bash_profile.  Confusing.

Most programs do not set $PATH they just use what they inherit from
their parents.  Fvwm does this so if you want to change the $PATH for
fvwm you have to change its parent.  If you're running fvwm in CDE it is
not obvious but you found it in the end. ~/.bash_profile is only ever
read by bash (and only in certain circumstances, try "rsh localhost
some_program_on_your_$PATH").

Cheers,
Tim.