Subject: colorset praise

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 02:27:54 +0200

Tim, I am absolutely delighted about the possibilities
of the colour sets. With a bit of trickery I was able
to get the same gradient pixmap background on each and
every button in my FvwmButtons (although the code is
still very experimental and doesn't work too well with
xclock). I have attached a screenshot of my FvwmButtons.
The only problems left are the gradient in the xload
window (the 6th button in the bottom row) and that the
hands of xclock leave a trail painted in the original
background colour. I was just too lazy to solve problem
one, which should be easy.

I don't think we can do much about the xclock problem.
Any ideas how to implement a transparent background?
The only thing I can think of is creating a shaped
window with the background, but that is too disruptive.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Aug 1999 21:37:56 -0400

Just a note, Dominik; if you use the right MIME type for your
attachments (image/gif in this case) it's a lot simpler for us to view
them...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:19:45 +0200

> attachments (image/gif in this case) it's a lot simpler for us to view

Duh, I don't know why. I have the image/gif line in /etc/mime.types.
Don't know why my mail client didn't use it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:15:11 -0400

> window with the background, but that is too disruptive.

Why don't you check in all of that or at least tar up your changes and
send them to Tim and myself, that way we can see where you are and maybe
then offer some suggestions.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:58:53 +0200

> then offer some suggestions.

Because I have already checked it in :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:14:59 +0100

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> of the colour sets.

Ta very much. Don't give me all the credit though, I think it was you
who suggested separating the background pixel from the pixmap. Without
that we wouldn't be able to use shaped pixmaps. And don't forget Brad
who is a coding dynamo.

> one, which should be easy.

Are you using a hacked version of xload and xclock? The ones I have only
do solid background colors.

> window with the background, but that is too disruptive.

oclock has a transparent option, I don't know if it works when
swallowed.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:45:02 +0200

> that we wouldn't be able to use shaped pixmaps. And don't forget Brad

Yup, but without you I would not have begun such a big task at
this time.

> do solid background colors.

Er, no. With the experimental stuff I have in FvwmButtons it
simply forces its own background on the swallowed application.
Very dirty and unreliable, but seems to work for xload and xlock.

*FvwmButtons(3x2+15+3, Colorset 6, Swallow xload 'Exec exec xload -g +32767+32767 -fg $fg -bg $bg -nolabel`)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^

If the application ever sets its background again...

> oclock has a transparent option, I don't know if it works when

It does, but what I am aiming at is forcing our colour set
backgrounds upon applications that don't support all the
fancy stuff we can do. E.g. you can make an application
shaped with the colour sets, even if the applications is
completely ignorant about shapes, but a real transparent
background is much more difficult.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:25:41 -0400

> background is much more difficult.

You got me thinking here and I realized that one place this will always
fail is with motif applications the window we have is not the one you
want to set the background of, and I just tried their is no way to get
to those windows, so you would be garunteed that motif apps wouldn't get
gradients.

As for xload and xclock I think the only thing you can do is set up a
timer and send an Expose event to them preriodically.  I'm not sure how
slow that would be though.

Brad

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:47:32 +0100

> Very dirty and unreliable, but seems to work for xload and xlock.

EEEK! drawing in other clients windows is a bit naughty.  It must work
in xload because it does and XClearArea before drawing the load line.  I
guess that xclock moves the clock hands by drawing the old position in
the background color and then drawing them in the new position in the
foreground.

> background is much more difficult.

Making an application shaped is OK but don't forget that the application
may be using it's own colormap so you can't just draw in it's windows.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:25:26 +0200

> to those windows, so you would be garunteed that motif apps wouldn't get

Which window should I draw to with Motif apps? I was thinking about
drawing into the main window and its first child. Would that help?

> slow that would be though.

Doesn't sound like anything I want to try.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 06:33:18 -0400

> drawing into the main window and its first child. Would that help?

It might work, wether its the right thing to do or not is a completelly
different matter though.

Brad

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:23:59 +0200

> It might work, wether its the right thing to do or not is a completelly

The whole thing is a hack. If it doesn't work then we won't fix
it but tell people not to use it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^