Subject: Status of fvwm-web

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:14:01 -0400

Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jason, seems like we haven't heard from you in a while.

I'd like to get the fvwm-web project moving again.

My plan was to move all the static content pages into the fvwm-web source
tree and have you set up a cron or some other process that would
automatically propagate changes from CVS onto the fvwm web pages.

I think fvwm-web is ready to go.

Is this OK with you?

Do have some time to set this up?

(I know fvwm/docs/README is out of date, and I haven't decided where
"fvwm/docs/run_man2html.sh" and "fvwm/docs/txt2html.sh" should sit,
but they don't need any change at this time.)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 1999 11:03:28 -0500

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> Hi Jason, seems like we haven't heard from you in a while.

I've been here the whole time, but we're building a cluster and a lab here
at UH so I've been rather busy.  I am in the weird position of having just
way too much hardware.

DE> I'd like to get the fvwm-web project moving again.

Yep, Dom sent me a message this morning.  My plan is to set up the script
on xxx.fvwm.org and make sure it works.  This will probably happen this
evening.  Of the content is OK, I'm considering just moving the web pages
to the new machine.  It's running Linux and is so much easier to maintain
than the Alpha running DU we're using currently.

In any case, the move of the FTP site and CVS tree need to happen soon as
well, so I do have some work ahead of me.

I'll you know when the web pages are set up.

 - J<

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 1999 09:04:46 -0700

> automatically propagate changes from CVS onto the fvwm web pages.

You can instead use a CVS loginfo rule to be executed on commits.  I do
this for my home page, and we do this for Scwm.  In loginfo, something like:

^scwm-web ( date; ( sleep 2; cd /home/httpd/html/scwm; cvs update -dP ) &) >> /usr/local/home/gjb/cvslog/err-scwm-web 2>&1

works great for us.

Greg

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 1999 12:37:46 -0500

>>>>> "GB" == Greg Badros <[email-masked]> writes:

GB> You can instead use a CVS loginfo rule to be executed on commits.

Well, it only works if the web server and the CVS server are the same
machine, which they aren't currently.  You can play with rsh and such, but
it's much simpler to put it in crontab until everything is unified.

It also doesn't deal well with folks who make lots of little changes.  You
have no locking between the multiple update processes that result and the
end product isn't always pretty.

I did use this method for a while with the Majordomo cvs tree, but I
encountered one problem too many.

 - J<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 1999 10:57:36 -0500

Could folks poke about on xxx.fvwm.org and make sure that there are no
broken links or other issues?

Currently I'm seeing these:

1) fvwm-cats is an absolute URL.  No big deal, but I do have it checked out
   with the rest of the documents.

2) the manpages and other converted documents just aren't there.  Is the
   plan to check in the html versions of these as well?  If I'm to generate
   them myself then they should probably be put into a subdirectory and
   stuck in .cvsignore.

3) the screenshots should probably be in a subdirectory.  Or perhaps in a
   separate module, so folks who just want the docs don't have to checkout
   the screenshots, just like fvwm-cats.

A checkout is done every 30 minutes currently.  Once I migrate the CVS
server over then I'll set up something like what Greg Badros suggested,
which will automatically do a checkout after you do a checkin.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 16:23:24 -0400

> Could folks poke about on xxx.fvwm.org and make sure that there are no

I must be slow, I kept seeing "xxx" and reading "www" and wondering
what the problem was.

>    with the rest of the documents.

As long as its not part of fvwm-web, I think a full URL
is logical.  See #3.

>    them myself then they should probably be put into a subdirectory and

I think we should take the generation off your hands.
The person doing the release should do the generation, then commmit
the generated pages into fvwm-web.

Any other opinions?

>    the screenshots, just like fvwm-cats.

Subdirectories seem like they will help, I think this may grow a bit...

I propose creating a fvwm-cats subdirectory in fvwm-web
and moving all of fvwm-cats
because:

To test before upload the more relative paths used
the better "file:" works.

CVS checkout with "-l" will let you get only one directory.

Any other opinions?

> which will automatically do a checkout after you do a checkin.

Sounds, good.  The average 15 minute delay isn't bad either.
By the time I got to this sentence, the change I just made appeared.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 06:08:51 +0200

> the generated pages into fvwm-web.

Didn't we agree that the man page changes only with stable releases?

> CVS checkout with "-l" will let you get only one directory.

That's okay by me. The command you suggest should be mentioned
on our CVS page somewhere.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 09:32:15 -0400

> Didn't we agree that the man page changes only with stable releases?

Yes.  By "release" I meant "stable release".

> on our CVS page somewhere.

Agreed.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Aug 1999 10:19:48 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Didn't we agree that the man page changes only with stable releases?

Perhaps we should have "stable" pages and "development" pages.

I still think modules are the way to go; if you don't want them, you don't
check them out.  If you do check them out once, they're kept updated
automatically when you do cvs update in a directory that contains them.
I.e.:

checkout fvwm-web
cd fvwm-web
checkout fvwm-cats
checkout fvwm-screenshots
[...]
update

The final update gets fvwm-web, fvwm-cats and fvwm-screenshots as well.  In
the end, though, it doesn't make much difference to me because I'm closest
to the server.  I'm just trying to think of folks behind dialups.

 - J<

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

> to the server.  I'm just trying to think of folks behind dialups.

Yes, me me!!  I'm all for this idea!

I went looking in fvwm/docs for something ... discovered that the html
files had relocated to fvwm-web ... then discovered that huge screenshots
came along with the doc files!  I'm working over a 14.4k modem for the
moment, so I still don't have the fvwm-web module :-)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 08:57:58 +0200

> which will automatically do a checkout after you do a checkin.

Jason, I still can't see the new downloads page on http://fvwm.org.
Is something wrong with the update process?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Aug 1999 13:48:24 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Jason, I still can't see the new downloads page on http://fvwm.org.

Only the test server at xxx.fvwm.org is updated automatically.  I don't
recall ever saying that the main site was set up to do it.

DV> Is something wrong with the update process?

We still need to work out issues such as generating HTML from the text
files and manpages first.  Otherwise, you will have your new downloads page
but no manpages.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:26:32 -0400

> Perhaps we should have "stable" pages and "development" pages.

Perhaps.

> to the server.  I'm just trying to think of folks behind dialups.

I'm able to achieve the same thing, (checking out only subdirectories)
with "-l".  I'm going to try it that way, and we can always change it
later.