Subject: Re: wm-icons: comments and a patch

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Aug 1999 15:01:11 -0400

%% Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

  mg> Also, I think, these days perl is not less standard than awk or sed.

  >> Certainly it is less standard.  Solaris doesn't have it.  AIX doesn't
  >> have it. HP-UX doesn't have it.

  mg> By default, I think.  perl is not so hard to install, in user home
  mg> even.  Solaris does not have gcc or even its own cc by default,
  mg> you must buy it separately, so what. Even windos has 98%
  mg> compatible perl for free.

If it doesn't come with the OS, it's not standard equipment for that OS
in my book.

  mg> At least perl is usually more standardized than sed and awk, try
  mg> to do regular expressions with different versions of sed.

Well, I won't argue that, but note "standard" != "standardized" :).  I'm
talking about the extra tools people will need to build and install
before they can get wm-icons to install, not how easy/difficult it will
be for us (you :) to create a portable install script.

There are quite powerful sets of both awk and sed commands which are
_extremely_ portable; more than enough for the purposes of your script,
I should imagine.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 23:41:56 -0400 (EDT)

> be for us (you :) to create a portable install script.

Go the auto* route, and you get all the standard directory-specifying
stuff, like --prefix for free!