Subject: Re: FVWM: click delay in menu

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:14:14 +0200

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 09:43:51PM -0500, Philippe Bernard Meunier wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I used to have the following menu when I was using Fvwm v.1 :
> 
>...
>
> I could click anywhere on the root window, the "xterm" entry of the menu
> would appear directly below the mouse pointer, be selected and it would
> immediatly fire up an xterm window.
> 
> Now with version 2, I have the following:
> 
>...
> 
> The behavior is the same, except that now there has to be a slight delay
> between the mouse button press/release for the xterm window to show up...
> I.e. before I just had to click and however fast I was doing it, it would
> work. Now I have to press the button, wait a little, then release the
> button, otherwise it doesn't work...
> 
> Does somebody know how to get rid of the delay ?

Sure.

  MenuStyle * DoubleClickTime 0

David DeSimone wrote:
> I have seen this also.  It seems that fvwm2 thinks it is doing the user
> a favor by not triggering the top menu item, if the mouse is not moved 
> just a bit between the press and the release.  I assume it is trying to
> avoid an accidental root-window click from triggering something
> horrible.  One never knows what might be at the top of some menu, and
> the user could click by mistake...

It's not meant to protect the user from accidental clicks on the top
item but on a random item it he clicks somewhere near the bottom of the
screen. With earlier versions of fvwm, if you had a small window near
the bottom of the screen and double-clicked the close button you would
end up activating some random function from the menu instead of the
double click action (if you had one). The delay you experience is the
time allowed between the two clicks to trigger the double click action,
which is 450 milliseconds by default.
 
> I don't much like the behavior, though.  I'd rather be able to protect
> myself by putting a title on the window, instead.  Since I design the
> menus, I should get what I want.  :)

Well, then use the aforementioned menu style for your root menus.
You can make each menu work differently if that suits you (please
refer to the man page - ...MenuStyle commands).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:17:00 +0200

Sure.

 

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:18:05 +0200

Sure.

 
Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:22:50 +0200

Sure.

 
Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:25:35 +0200

Sorry for the duplicate mails, my mail system freaked out.

> refer to the man page - ...MenuStyle commands).

I must correct myself. You *can't* have a different DoubleClickTime for
each menu

Bye

Dominik ^_^