Subject: util scripts rewritten in perl

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:03:51 +0200

Mikhael, I think we really need some shell scripts with the names of
the replaced old scripts that call the new fvwm_menu_... scripts with
the correct options to get the old behaviour. I don't think we want
to force everybody to who used that files to rewrite their configuration.
Furthermore there are some references from the fvwm man page to the
old shell script. These have to be removed. I used them as a showcase
for the dynamic menu actions, so we now need a good example of what
you can do with it too.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:27:45 +0300 (IDT)

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> to force everybody to who used that files torewrite their configuration.
> you can do withit too.

Is this not a season for breaking compatibility?
The old directory scripts were not included in any major release (2.2.2),
so I thought there is no problem with them. I may be mistaken.
Also it is easy to replace them (in the man page too, I will do this):
  'fvwm_make_directory_menu.sh' replace by 'fvwm-menu-directory -d'
  'fvwm_make_browse_menu.sh'    replace by 'fvwm-menu-directory -r'

You will probably want additional options (-l -o 4) too, if you want exact
old behaviours. I'd prefer not to create compatibility scripts if possible.
The most probable case is that users had these scripts in their ~/bin or
/usr/local/bin; they still can continue to use them.

There are more problems with BuildXLockMenu. It had been included for ages.
Some rpms even put it into /usr/bin. I see nothing to be done about it.
Everyone who uses it just needs to switch to the new name and interface.
Hopefully the new names and interfaces are final. The options may be 
added, of cause.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:52:18 +0200

>   'fvwm_make_browse_menu.sh'    replace by 'fvwm-menu-directory -r'

No, that's not enough because they were meant as examples. Much
more people can read shell scripts than perl code. We need plain
shell command examples.

> old behaviours. I'd prefer not to create compatibility scripts if possible.

That's not a matter of personal taste. People don't want to rewrite
their configs and we should not force them to unless absolutely
necessary.

> Some rpms even put it into /usr/bin. I see nothing to be done about it.

Make a shell script and let it call the perl script with the proper options.
We have a number of these links/scripts already and I see no reason to
leave this path.

Bye

Dominik ^_^