Subject: FvwmIconMan and fvwm packets

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:28:57 -0400

I seem to have a problem with FvwmIconMan, I have 4 pagers defined, 3
go in FvwmButtons and are sticky, the last goes is StartsOnPage 0 1 0
and catches all my gimp windows.  The problem is if I use my I use mouse
or keyboard to traverse my pages. It seems that the manager follows me,
but worse than that it keeps redrawwing itself, over an over again. It
also happens if I move the manager from one page to another using the
Pager, but in that case once I release the mouse button, the manager
keeps following the path it took from the pager to my mouse release.

Is anyone else seeing this?  I'm not sure exactlly how to debug this
one, if anyone has a tip I'm listening.

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:35:43 +0200

> one, if anyone has a tip I'm listening.

Hm, that's too complicated for me. Can you send me your IconMan
configuration (plus the lines that start it and possibly the
colorset lines)?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:25:48 -0400

> configuration (plus the lines that start it and possibly the

Well you are just a glutten for punishment today but here goes.

start it with 
Module  FvwmButtons IconManButtons

*IconManButtonsGeometry +0-0
*IconManButtonsColumns 1
*IconManButtonsRows 3
*IconManButtonsFore rgb:51/51/78
*IconManButtonsBack rgb:51/51/78

Read .fvwm2Module
*IconManButtons(Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) "All_windows" `Module FvwmIconMan`, Size WIDTH 14)  #where width is yur screen width (1280)
*IconManButtons(Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) "Emacs_windows" Nop, Size 1150 14)
*IconManButtons(Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) "Xterm_windows" Nop, Size 1150 14) 

*FvwmThemeColorset 0 gray80 #515178 CGradient 128 #515178 #000000
*FvwmThemeColorset 1 gray80 #515178 DGradient 128 #000000 #909078
*FvwmThemeColorset 2 gray80 #515178 CGradient 128 #515178 #000000
*FvwmThemeColorset 3 gold #515178 DGradient 128 #000000 #909078
*FvwmThemeColorset 4 pink #515178 DGradient 128 #000000 #909078

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmIconMan*
*FvwmIconMan*numManagers          5
*FvwmIconMan*Resolution           global
*FvwmIconMan*background           #515178
*FvwmIconMan*foreground           yellow
*FvwmIconMan*font                 -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons            true
*FvwmIconMan*shape                true

*FvwmIconMan*followfocus          true
*FvwmIconMan*sort                 name
*FvwmIconMan*titlebutton          raisededge gray80 #515178
*FvwmIconMan*plainbutton          up gray80 #515178
*FvwmIconMan*selectbutton         up pink #515178
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton          down gold #515178
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectButton flat gold #515178

*FvwmIconMan*1*format             "%t"
*FvwmIconMan*1*buttongeometry     74x0
*FvwmIconMan*1*managergeometry    18x1+0-0
*FvwmIconMan*1*show               class=XTerm class=Eterm
*FvwmIconMan*1*dontshow           resource=pine resource=consolewin resource=mutt
*FvwmIconMan*1*title              "Xterm_windows"
*FvwmIconMan*1*iconname           "Xterm_windows"

*FvwmIconMan*2*format             "%t"
*FvwmIconMan*2*buttongeometry     74x0
*FvwmIconMan*2*managergeometry    18x1+0-18
*FvwmIconMan*2*show               resource=emacs
*FvwmIconMan*2*dontshow           title=Speedbar*
*FvwmIconMan*2*title              "Emacs_windows"
*FvwmIconMan*2*iconname           "Emacs_windows"

*FvwmIconMan*3*format             "%t"
*FvwmIconMan*3*buttongeometry     164x0
*FvwmIconMan*3*managergeometry    1x0+1153-54
*FvwmIconMan*3*title              "Gui Builder"
*FvwmIconMan*3*iconname           "Gui Builder"
*FvwmIconMan*3*show               class=Uimx3_0 class=BuilderXcessory

*FvwmIconMan*4*format             "%t"
*FvwmIconMan*4*buttongeometry     200x0
*FvwmIconMan*4*managergeometry    1x0+1280-54
*FvwmIconMan*4*title              "Gimp"
*FvwmIconMan*4*iconname           "Gimp"
*FvwmIconMan*4*show               class=Gimp

*FvwmIconMan*5*format             "%i"
*FvwmIconMan*5*buttongeometry     74x0
*FvwmIconMan*5*managergeometry    18x1+0-36        #each button is 18
*FvwmIconMan*5*drawicons          always
*FvwmIconMan*5*title              "All_windows"
*FvwmIconMan*5*iconname           "All_windows"
*FvwmIconMan*5*dontshow           icon=Untitled class=Fvwm* icon=tkgoodstuff icon=xbif*icon=xload icon=Ftptool* title=Man* title=Speedbar* resource=pine resource=consolewin resource=mutt 

*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 1      N sendcommand "Iconify -1, Raise, Focus"
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 2      N sendcommand Iconify
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 3      N sendcommand "Iconify -1, Lower"
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 0      M sendcommand "Iconify -1, WarpToWindow 15 15"
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 0      S sendcommand "Iconify -1, WarpToWindow 15 15"
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 0     SM sendcommand "Iconify -1, WarpToWindow 15 15"
*FvwmIconMan*action Mouse 0      C sendcommand "Iconify -1, WarpToWindow 15 15"
*FvwmIconMan*action Key   Left   N gotobutton Left, select
#*FvwmIconMan*action Key   Right  N gotobutton Right, select
#*FvwmIconMan*action Key   Up     N gotobutton Up, select
#*FvwmIconMan*action Key   Down   N gotobutton Down, select
*FvwmIconMan*action Key   q      N quit
*FvwmIconMan*action Key   Return N sendcommand Focus

*FvwmIconMan*colorset             4
*FvwmIconMan*selectcolorset       4
*FvwmIconMan*focuscolorset        3
*FvwmIconMan*focusandselectcolorset        3
*FvwmIconMan*titlecolorset        2
*FvwmIconMan*plaincolorset        2

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 00:44:23 +0200

> > > one, if anyone has a tip I'm listening.

Hrm, something is awfully wrong here. I just got a coredump
because IconMan requested generated a BadMatch in a CreatePixmap
request (value out of range). Backtracing the coredump I find that
IconMan got a ConfigureNotify with these values:

  xconfigure.x = 0
  xconfigure.y = -164264529
  xconfigure.width = 151
  xconfigure.height = 0

Either fvwm or the X server are freaking out or some code
in IconMan overwrites parts of its own memory.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:17:19 +0200

> Well you are just a glutten for punishment today but here goes.

First of all the IconMan looks really strange when I start it
during fvwm startup. It creates four windows, the first two
stretch all over the screen and the other two have the right
size but are not on the current page (screenshot attached).
Is that on purpose? If I kill IconMan and restart it while
fvwm is still running, all windows end up on the current page.

I have seen the bug you describe once, but I don't know how to
reproduce it. The window jumped around the screen again and
again and again and again... To me this looks as if IconMan
got a ConfigureNotify event and reacted to it by configuring
itself (perhaps resizing). But has a different notion of its
own position and request a new position thus getting a new
ConfigureNotify again... I have seen something similar with
TaskBar: start a task bar at the bottom of the screen, then
drag it to the top. Most of the time it will jump back and
forth between the top and bottom border of the screen before
settling down. This *is* caused by a ConfigureNotify/Request
race condition with fvwm, but I didn't know what to do about
it and didn't care either.

------------------ a while later ----------------

Yup, it really seems to be what I suspected. Since we implemented
colour set support, a ConfigureNotify event triggers the function

force_manager_redraw() -> draw_manager() -> resize_manager() ->
resize_window() -> XMoveResizeWindow!!
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I made a patch that

 - eats up all ConfigureNotify events from the server before
   doing anything
 - only redraws if something has changed

Does that help?

Bye

Dominik ^_^