Subject: FvwmButtons rendering problem?? (again w/attachment)

From: "Brennan Cropper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:45:00 +0100

Hi,

I switched over to a Sparc Ultra 5 platform recently, and compiled and
setup 2.2.2.  After launching fvwm, I noticed that there was something
peculiar with my FvwmButtons module.  Edges between buttons were not
drawn properly and were jagged (see attached GIF).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether this was a problem with
the fvwm code, the X server, the graphics card, or perhaps the monitor? 
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.  I've run fvwm on a
number of platforms and never seen behavior like this.  Thanks for any
input.

Brennan

P.S.  Just in case you're wondering, I've tried 2.3.6 and gotten the
same results.  Also, I doubt if it's related to configuration, but
here's my FvwmButton config:

*FvwmButtonsFore Black
*FvwmButtonsBack DarkGreen
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmButtonsFrame 2

# Geometry - really likes to pick its own size, but giving a position
# is OK
*FvwmButtonsGeometry -0-0

*FvwmButtons(1x1, Back DarkGreen Container (Columns 2, Rows 2))
  *FvwmButtons(Icon vim16x16.xpm,    \
               Action `Exec /u/bcropper/bin/vim -g &`)
  *FvwmButtons(Icon mini-term.xpm,   \
               Action `Exec xterm -geometry 80x45 &`)
  *FvwmButtons(Icon mini-lock.xpm,   \
               Action `Exec xlock -usefirst -mode random`)
  *FvwmButtons(Icon mini-nscape.xpm, \
               Action OpenDailyUpdate)
*FvwmButtons(End)
     
*FvwmButtons(Size 64 64, \
        Swallow (Respawn) "wmmail" \
        'Exec /u/bcropper/bin/wmmail -swallowed &' \
        Action GetNewMail)

*FvwmButtons(Size 64 64 \
        Swallow "/u/bcropper/bin/wmmon" \
        'Exec /u/bcropper/bin/wmmon &')

*FvwmButtons(Size 64 64 \
        Swallow "/u/bcropper/bin/wmmon" \
        'Exec /u/bcropper/bin/wmmon -s&')

*FvwmButtons(Size 64 64 \
        Swallow "/u/bcropper/bin/wmmon" \
        'Exec /u/bcropper/bin/wmmon -i&')

*FvwmButtons(Size 64 64 \
        Swallow (Respawn) "/u/bcropper/bin/wmCalClock" \
        'Exec /u/bcropper/bin/wmCalClock -24 -l &' )

*FvwmButtons( 4x1, \
  Swallow "FvwmPager" \
  'Module FvwmPager 0 3' )

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:13:00 +0100

> the fvwm code, the X server, the graphics card, or perhaps the monitor?

It's not the monitor and probably not the graphics card, it might be the
X server or FvwmButtons.  I can't reproduce this but then I don't have
any wm applets and I had to use xclocks instead.  FvwmButtons doesn't
crop swallowed windows so it might be something to do with the sizes of
the buttons.  Have you tried making the buttons bigger or using the
(NoHints) swallow option e.g. Swallow (Respawn NoHints) ...?

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Brennan Cropper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:53:08 +0100

I added NoHints to all of my swallowed apps and that didn't change
things.  I also tried to make each button 96x96 by using Size, but that
didn't change the size of things.

Brennan