Subject: Termcap/NCurses/Curses ...

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:41:41 +0200

Here's an old one..

Which order should they be looked for? It's right now used with
libreadline in some module...

Currently, configure checks for termcap first, then ncurses if it didn't
work. Never curses.

IMO, it should look for ncurses, then curses, and last termcap due to
termcap's "issues".

Ideas? Suggestions? Flames?

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Jul 1999 13:28:21 -0400

%% Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]> writes:

  to> Which order should they be looked for? It's right now used with
  to> libreadline in some module...

  to> Currently, configure checks for termcap first, then ncurses if it didn't
  to> work. Never curses.

  to> IMO, it should look for ncurses, then curses, and last termcap due to
  to> termcap's "issues".

  to> Ideas? Suggestions? Flames?

It doesn't matter in what order they're searched for.  The question is,
what library was readline compiled with?  Regardless of the order only
one of *curses or termcap will succeed: the one readline was compiled to
use.  The other will always fail.  I guess given that we should pick our
best guess as to the most common configuration to be first.  How does
readline pick?  We should use the same order it does (e.g., given that
you have both *curses and termcap, which will it use?) for no particular
reason other than consistency.

As to whether we should be checking for both curses and ncurses, sure,
that'd be OK (ncurses first, of course; I'm not sure but this _might_
make a difference).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]