Subject: help request for win95 like config file

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 04:16:40 +0200

Basically my work on the win95 like config file is done.
There are two open issues that I can't resolve alone:

 1) Paths
    There are some absoulte paths in the config file that
    point to some places on my disk. Could someone please
    hack in the correct paths? (All places are marked with
    three exclamation marks (!!!)).

 2) Icons
    The config file needs lots of icons that are not in our
    distribution. I have gzipped all icons from fvwm95 and
    dumped them in the icons directory (icons95.tar.gz and
    mini-icons95.tyr.gz). How can we handle this?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 11:37:47 -0400

>     three exclamation marks (!!!)).

I don't have resolutions, but here are some comments:

#!!!use configure here
ImagePath /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps:/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons:/home/avatar/src/fvwm/icons:/home/avatar/src/fvwm95-2.0.43b/pixmaps:/home/avatar/src/fvwm/icons

This has to do with automatic detection of icon packages.  I believe we
planned to do this when the "wm-icons" project was started.

More on this below.

#!!!use configure here
DestroyMenu Documents
AddToMenu Documents \
  FVWM2%mini.win95.xpm%		Exec netscape \
					/usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm95/index.html

I believe you  are trying  to start Netscape   pointing at  a  locally
installed  copy  of  the "fvwm-web"  package.   Why  not  point  it at
fvwm.org?

#!!!use configure here
*FvwmAudioPlayCmd /usr/bin/play
*FvwmAudioDir    /usr/local/lib/sounds

Possibly configure could  be hacked to find  a "play" command, but the
sound directory would be a stretch.  An FvwmAudio form might make more
sense.  Windows has most sounds off by default.  Note that fvwm2 ships
with icons but  no  sounds.  I  think a separate  sound  distribution
makes sense.  If we had one, then detecting it might be possible.

#!!!use configure here
*FvwmScriptPath /usr/local/lib/X11/fvwm2/scripts

I think what  FvwmScript is doing  with  its "Path" is   not good.  It
should at least default to looking in "etc/fvwm" the same way FvwmForm
does.  I planned to do this in some indefinite future.

>     mini-icons95.tyr.gz). How can we handle this?

We are not currently  installing any  icons.   I favor moving all  the
icons into a separate distribution.  I can do that part.  The separate
distribution should have an install script, possibly co-ordinated with
the "wm-icons" installation proceedure which I haven't had time to dig
into yet.  Once we deal with installing our own icons, then we need to
hack configure to detect the  various icon distributions installed and
get  the builtin  imagepath set accordingly.   The  simplest things in
configure have me  scratching my head, so I  don't think I'm the  best
person to attack the configure/install part of  this.  (I'm not giving
up though, I'll master it someday.)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:42:36 +0200

>   FVWM2%mini.win95.xpm%		Exec netscape \
               ^^^^^
This has to be updated too.

> installed  copy  of  the "fvwm-web"  package.

Note that the complete look and feel in this file stems from
fvwm95.  I simply adapted it to fvwm2 as best as I could.

> Why  not  point  it at fvwm.org?

Sounds good.

> icons into a separate distribution.  I can do that part.

The only thing to worry about is that if the icons are not available
you won't get much of the win95-like config file. Not even the window
decorations will work.

> The separate

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:03:34 +0300 (IDT)

> Basically my work on the win95 like config file is done.

Just some impressions from screenshots. I remember that fvwm95 had more
correct simmulation of win95 window buttons. Buttons are smaller than a
title height and there is an additional space between [X] and [O] buttons,
like in their screenshot:
  ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/html-test/screenshot-decor.gif

The start menu is very good simmulated (are pixmaps free?).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:04:04 +0300 (IDT)

> Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

[about win95 configuration]

> planned to do this when the "wm-icons" project was started.

I think that win95 config file must go together with icons (and sounds)
it uses, so it is really configure's problem of the package to set the
real paths.

Another question is that icons and sounds needed for concrete fvwm
configurations must not be included in the core fvwm distribution.
I think we need a separate fvwm-themes distribution, which can include
win95, mwm, other WM simulations and completly new look&feels.

If we decide to go this way, we can exclude all icons from fvwm
distribution in favor of fvwm-themes; the default configuration almost
does not use any icons anyway.

There was a long email from Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]> on 16 Jun
regarding themes. I had no time to respond. Seems to be a good idea.
It is nice to see this in action if it already works.

> Possibly configure couldbe hacked to find  a "play" command, but the

If it is not depended on any concrete configuration (like wm-icons),
a separate sound distribution makes sense, otherwise it must be included
in the fvwm-themes package under win95 theme sound directory.

> up though, I'll master it someday.)

I am not sure which solution is better - to move all icons from fvwm to
the fvwm-icons package or to distribute icons between themes in
fvwm-themes. I can help with this (not with autoconf, I don't know much
about it and prefer to write configure myself :) ).

I suggest to check fvwm-themes option, there are some insightful points in
Jason's message. We can start with one config file per theme and common
icon and sound files for all themes and switch to a more flexible scheme
later. There is a lot of work to be done, but themes is what users want.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:38:17 +0200

>   ftp://mitac11.uia.ac.be/html-test/screenshot-decor.gif

Yup. Can't be done with fvwm2. The config file is based on
the fvwm95 file (> 95%). I made changed as little as possible.
The remaining differences are so small it isn't worth to spend
more work.

> The start menu is very good simmulated (are pixmaps free?).

I don't know. I simply dumped the icons from fvwm95 into our
CVS tree.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:44:42 +0200

> does not use any icons anyway.

Sounds good. The perfect solution would be to have the themes
stuff in a different distribution but in the same source tree.
So you could chose which themes to download and simply install
all downloaded packages into the same directory.

> regarding themes. I had no time to respond.

Same with me. The mail was simply too long ;-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^