Subject: 2.2.2 RaiseLower problem?

From: Ives Aerts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:42:56 +0200

I've been running 2.2.2 at our site for a good month now and some
people seem to have hit upon a nasty problem: at times, some windows
will refuse to come to the front when they are RaiseLower'ed. Instead,
they will go to the back :^/. The funny things is that in FvwmPager,
it does look like the window was brought to the front.

BTW: all this is on Solaris 2.6.

Anyone else who noticed this problem? Would switching to 2.3.5 fix
this?

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (R&D Software engineer)           Sony NSSE-Brussels
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`A mathematician is a machine for turning    B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 coffee into theorems.'                      PHONE : +32 2 724 86 11
                                (Paul Erdos) FAX   : +32 2 724 86 88
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:14:42 +0200

> it does look like the window was brought to the front.

Most likely the windows that refuse to raise are already on top
but under some of their own transient windows (e.g. netscape
below its owm 'find' window). In this case the main window
can't be raised above the transient. Can you confirm that this
is the problem? If not, please try to find a reliable way to
reproduce it.

> Anyone else who noticed this problem? Would switching to 2.3.5 fix

I am currently working on this. I don't recommend trying 2.3.5
since the solution isn't working well yet.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Ives Aerts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:02:19 +0200

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 01:14:42PM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Most likely the windows that refuse to raise are already on top but
> under some of their own transient windows (e.g. netscape below its
> owm 'find' window). In this case the main window can't be raised
> above the transient. Can you confirm that this is the problem? If
> not, please try to find a reliable way to reproduce it.

This is not the problem (although I most often have observed the
problem with Netscape Navigator, I've had the problem with rxvt & mutt
as well).

Trouble is I can't find a way to reproduce this though :^/ since it's
rather rare. That's why I was asking whether someone else had already
observed this problem.

> I am currently working on this. I don't recommend trying 2.3.5 since
> the solution isn't working well yet.

Ok, thanks.

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (R&D Software engineer)           Sony NSSE-Brussels
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
                                             B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
`Bee There Orr Bee a Rectangular Thyng'      PHONE : +32 2 724 86 11
                  (Soul Music - T.Pratchett) FAX   : +32 2 724 86 88
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 02:50:22 +0200

> rather rare. That's why I was asking whether someone else had already

Yes, several people has seen that too (including me). The problem is
that we can't find a way to reproduce it to pin it down.

Bye

Dominik ^_^