Subject: DDD "transients"?

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Jul 1999 17:07:31 -0400

The latest CVS fixed the menu side pixmaps, thanks Dominik!

But, I've noticed another problem.

I just started DDD 3.1 on my Solaris box.  When DDD starts it comes up
with a main window, then another little separate "commands" window with
buttons for "Run", "Continue", etc.

This used to be fine with fvwm 2.2, but now with the latest CVS (and
also CVS as of last week) the commands window is completely blank.

If I move the window, then the contents appear _until_ I move the mouse
out of that window again and give focus to another window, then they
disappear again.  As long as the mouse is on the commands window or
root, it looks OK, then it goes away again.  The other window can be
either the main DDD window or something else entirely; either way it's
gone.

However, even if the buttons don't display, clicking on the blank area
_does_ run the right command as far as I can tell.

FvwmIdent says Focus Policy Passive, Input Field True, WM_TAKE_FOCUS
Absent, Sticky No, Ontop No, NoTitle Yes, Transient No.

Not sure what to make of this one; can anyone else reproduce it?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:22:46 +0200

> The latest CVS fixed the menu side pixmaps, thanks Dominik!

The cudos go to Tim. I merely repaired what he found :-)

> buttons for "Run", "Continue", etc.

How do I have to configure ddd to get this? I'm using it often, but
I have never seen this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:13:34 +0200

> Not sure what to make of this one; can anyone else reproduce it?

Okkay, with a bit of experimenting I can see it too, but it
seems to appear randomly. Paul (PDS), do you have a step by
step description to surface this behaviour 100% of the time?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Jul 1999 11:16:26 -0400

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> Not sure what to make of this one; can anyone else reproduce it?

  dv> Okkay, with a bit of experimenting I can see it too, but it seems
  dv> to appear randomly. Paul (PDS), do you have a step by step
  dv> description to surface this behaviour 100% of the time?

Sorry for the length; I'm leaving my original post for context.

It happens _every_ time for me.  All I have to do is start DDD.  Note I
haven't configured hardly anything in DDD; I actually don't use it that
much.  Hmm, I'll rename my ~/.ddd directory to get a completely clean
setup--yep, still happens:

  $ mv ~/.ddd{,-keep}
  $ ddd ../../make
  Creating "/export/home/psmith/.ddd/"...
  Creating "/export/home/psmith/.ddd/"...done.
  Creating "/export/home/psmith/.ddd/sessions/"...
  Creating "/export/home/psmith/.ddd/sessions/"...done.

Then I get the info screen, a tip screen, the main window, and the
commands window.  The commands window is _already_ blank (it seemed to
have button briefly, then go blank when one of the other windows got
focus.)

Note I'm using vanilla DDD 3.1, I haven't upgraded to the latest
releases (I'm on Solaris so I have to build it myself... takes some
energy and time :)

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to test this on my Linux box at
home last night :(.

Again, I'm using FvwmAuto so maybe that exacerbates the problem (if it
really is focus related)?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:03:45 +0200

> setup--yep, still happens:

When I cean out my .ddd directory and the Ddd file in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults I don't get the command tool
by default. I have to explicitly open it with Alt-8.
Sometimes it pops up and then goes to a different page.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Jul 1999 13:02:08 -0400

dv> On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 11:16:26AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:

  >> It happens _every_ time for me.  All I have to do is start DDD.
  >> Note I haven't configured hardly anything in DDD; I actually don't
  >> use it that much.  Hmm, I'll rename my ~/.ddd directory to get a
  >> completely clean setup--yep, still happens:

  dv> When I cean out my .ddd directory and the Ddd file in
  dv> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults

I don't have any DDD X resources anywhere.

  dv> I don't get the command tool by default. I have to explicitly open
  dv> it with Alt-8.  Sometimes it pops up and then goes to a different
  dv> page.

You won't get it by default unless you start DDD with a program as an
argument; e.g.,

  $ ddd

doesn't pop up a command window at the start, but:

  $ ddd someprogram

does.  Or you can run "ddd" then use File->Open Program and pick a
program, then it'll pop the command window.

When it does pop up for you, do you see the problem?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:16:07 +0200

> When it does pop up for you, do you see the problem?

No, because when I open ddd like you said and the command tool comes
up, it flashes for a brief moment before it's moved one page to the
right where I can see it only with the pager :( Definitely something
we have to look into.

...

I tried again on a fresh page where the ddd window ends up on the
left side of the screen. Now the command tool is moved right for
a third of the screen and ends op on the same page. But if I move
the main window partially over the command tool its contents are
deleted. BTW, I'm using ddd 3.0.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:25:40 +0200

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 07:16:07PM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> a third of the screen and ends op on the same page.

Oops. I wanted to say that the window is drawn properly at first.

> But if I move

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:31:51 +0200

> also CVS as of last week) the commands window is completely blank.

Fixed. The problem was: Matthias made a patch to move sending
of synthetic ConfigureRequest events from SetupFrame to
HandleConfigureRequest. Something didn't work well, so Bob
enabled the code in SetupFrame again, but forgot to disable
the new code in HandleConfigureRequest.

The bug that the command tool window lands on a different page
or does not move the same distance as the main window when
the main window is moved is a DDD bug. I reported it to the
DDD mailing list.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]