Subject: Re: Slow response times on Solaris 2.6 system

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 01:39:10 +0200

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 02:40:47PM +0100, George Beckett wrote:
> Hi Dominik,
> 
> Thanks for your e-mail. Sorry I haven't been in touch more quickly
> - I've been away on business. I tried your suggestions, i.e.
> generating an empty .fvwm2rc file and or using the sample
> configurations (system.fvwm2rc-sample-1 and system.fvwm2rc-sample-2),
> but without any success. I usually start Emacs from the button bar,
> though the same behaviour occurs if I start it from an XTerm.
> 
> I have included a copy of my configuration, if it is of use. Sorry
> I don't have better news.
> 
> George.

I can only guess what this might be. A few things you could try:

 - Check if your search path and the ModulePath in fvwm do really
   point to the places where you have installed fvwm. Perhaps you
   are running files from older versions?
 - Try to recompile fvwm from scratch. Sometimes strange things
   happen with the builds.
 - Does it help is you remove your emacs config files? (I don't
   think so).
 - Can you run trace or strace (whatever it is called on Sun) to
   find after which call it hangs? (If you don't have a clue what
   I'm talking about, ignore this).
 - Could you attach a debugger to the starting emacs and see where
   it hangs?
 - When does emacs show up in the process list (ps command)?
   Immediately after executing the function or later when it comes
   up?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:42:58 +0200

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:05:02 +0100
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Slow response times on Solaris 2.6 system
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Hi Dominik,

Thanks for your e-mail. I'm afraid that I haven't made much progress
with the problem, so I'll stop pestering you until I establish
something significant. However, here is a summary of what I have found
so far.

Firstly, looking at the process list, I see that applications such
as emacs appear on the process list immediately, even though they
take a few seconds to appear. This supports my unjustified feeling
that the slowdown occurs when X11 creates new windows under fvwm2.
I have an

	Emacs.geometry:         80x24+100-50

in my .Xdefaults: removing this seems to reduce, though not
completely eliminate the problem with its start-up speed and
changing fonts. So it may be related to this.

Secondly, my system administrator has recently installed a number
of security patches from Sun, and my gut feeling is that the problem
has been since this time - however, the administrator is not keen
to remove the patches. I tried re-compiling (using cc and CC, since
I couldn't get fvwm2 to compile with gcc - command is:

	env CXX=CC CC=cc ./configure
	  --with-xpm-includes=/mathsoft/local/lib
	  --with-xpm-library=/mathsoft/local/lib

), but this had no affect.

Anyway, the bottom line is that fvwm is working fine, just a little
slow at times, and I suspect that on most machines this slowdown is
not even obvious, as applications generally take a few seconds to
start. I will continue to use fvwm2 and will let you know if I find
any more significant clues. Thanks for all your help!

Yours,
George.

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]