Subject: background icons change layer on restart

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:28:28 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: John Califf
Version: 2.3.6  - latest
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux 2.1
X_Server: XF86_SVGA 3.3.1  
Submission from: (NULL) (208.150.162.26)

This problem occurs on a restart with Kde filemanager with desktop icons on
any desktop.
(Note:  If using the kfm one must alway leave at least 3 icons on desktop
-
trash, templates and autostart, so this can't be worked around without
hacking Kde. These
icons are "sticky" and appear on every desktop in fvwm, independently of
any settings
in fvwm rc files).

Normally these icons are not handled by the window manager.  They seem to
be in backgroun
of root window, but can be moved and accessed for drag and drop from
filemanager, etc.
just fine.  The problem occurs when restarting a fvwm session after Kfm has
been
running.  The icons jump to and stay on the top layer, and this can't be
changed, 
creating a messy situation for other windows one would like to be one top. 

Rasing another window has no effect - the icons always stay on top of all
other
windows after a restart.  Killing kfm and then restarting kfm separately
from the
fvwm2 init sequence solves the problem, but also results in a loss of
current setting
and open directories, etc.

I have also noticed that several other types of "sticky" windows which I
have not
set to stay on top in the fvwmrc (pager, wharf, etc.) jumpt to the top
after a restart,
but these can be put back to a normal layer where I want to keep them by
raising 
another window or manually lowering with mouse, etc.

Note:  The problem does not appear to be specific to the latest development
version,
but has been happening with all recent versions of fvwm2 I've tried since
2.2.2.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]