Subject: themes and icons (beautification enhancement)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:29:36 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: John Califf
Version: 2.3.x
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux 2.1
X_Server: XF86_SVGA 3.3.1
Submission from: (NULL) (208.150.162.26)

Please include themes for fvwm with the basic distribution.  This would
require
changing the default and/or sample configs provided to use the themes
engine as
used at themes.org for fvwm2.  

This is very important if you want people to use fvwm2.  Fvwm can look
very, very
good but frankly, the default configs you provide are not competetive.  It
just 
takes too much work for the average user to create attractive
configurations from scratch 
using colors, gradients, and decent icons to replace the inadequate icon
set you 
provide, which looks like it came out of a Window 3.1 garage sale.

This involves no changes to fvwm2 code, because the themes engine is just a
collection
of configuration files which are read by the main config file, and it would
be
better for users to set up configs in this way instead of using one big rc
file as
is provided with default configs in the distribution.  

Related to this is the relative lack of activity in the fvwm2 themes
section of 
themes.org.  This may be because the themes engine (along with attractive
themes) 
is not provided with fvwm2, whereas themes engines are provided for other
window 
managers.  Users have no incentive to develop themes for fvwm because none
come with
the distribution to inspire them, in a vicious circle of cause and effect. 

Further, not including the themes way of configuring rc files gives on the
feeling
that it is unofficial or not approved of by fvwm developers.  What is there
to lose
by making a simple themes engine based on configs official ? 

Also, please provide a set of more attractive icons.  These can be got for
free from
a variety of sources.  (Gnome, NextStep style icons, etc.).  Anything would
be an
improvement over what is now provided.  It would be better to provide no
icons than
what you now include.  These indescribably ugly icons are the number one
reason why 
many people have reacted negatively to the Linux or unix desktop because
fvwm has 
been the default window manager for Linux, at least, for a long time, with
these 
ugly icons.  Please, do not include this icon set again in your releases or
in your 
snapshots.     

(Note:  If you are concerned about availability for people without hi-color
or 
true-color displays, attractive 16 color icons are also available free).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]