Subject: icon auto arrange bugs

From: Amir Chossrow Akhavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:23:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

a few weeks ago I've asked for some icon style enhancements, one of
which was related to rearranging the icons after each
deiconification. 

The following suggestion was included in the fvwm man page:

 Hint: You can auto arrange your icons in the icon box with  a
       simple  fvwm function. Put the DeiconifyAndRearrange function
       below in your configuration file:

       AddToFunc DeiconifyAndRearrange
        + C Iconify off
        + C All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow

etc. etc.

this works somewhat.

But it seems that doing a recapture is really overkill and 
has some bad side effects.
It goes like this:

CVS 2.3.6 July, 5th
on page 1, open a few apps, some of which are iconified.
on page 2, open another app, xy, iconify it.
back on page 1, deiconify one app.
go back to page 2, deiconify xy, it will show up on page 1.
(well, I can live with it, but is some sort of a bug)

CVS 2.3.6 July 16th
when an icon gets deiconified on one page, all other icons are moved
to that page, no matter where the original icon position was. 
When those apps are deiconified, their windows jump back 
to their original pages. 
(this is much more confusing)

I've observed this also in the CVS of July 12th.
So right now I'd better use the July 5th CVS.

Besides, the recapture of the icons slows down the deiconification 
considerably (on a 400MHz PII box with Matrox MillenniumII ), 
and the "flicker" effect is aesthetically not really pleasing.

I'd rather have an option or Icon Style command that deals with
sorting icons directly. 

At this point, I'd like to ask (again) for some IconFontColor option,
simply because it would help me getting rid of some really awkward 
.fvwm2rc lines (which don't even come close to implement what I really
want).

thanx, Amir

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]