Subject: FvwmGtk segfault

From: TG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:54:27 +0200

I tried to start FvwmGtk within fvwm2, but I don't see anything happen.
When I run it from the command-line, it segfaults.

This is gdb output:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.5/./FvwmGtk 

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
__strtol_internal (nptr=0x0, endptr=0x0, base=10, group=0) at
strtol.c:287
strtol.c:287: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  __strtol_internal (nptr=0x0, endptr=0x0, base=10, group=0) at
strtol.c:287
#1  0x804d0eb in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffffbb4) at
/usr/include/stdlib.h:156
(gdb) 

Bye,

Tung

PS. Is there something wrong with JitterBug? I can't submit my bugreport
there.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:26:48 +0200

> I tried to start FvwmGtk within fvwm2, but I don't see anything happen.

If you haven't added any FvwmGtk configuration commands, it'll just sit there
lurking. Does it show up in 

ps ax | grep Fvwm*

?

> When I run it from the command-line, it segfaults.

Fvwm modules can only be spawned by fvwm. Shouldn't segfault though, just
refuse to run.

PS Here is a minimal config to try it out:

*fvwmgtkmenu test
*fvwmgtktitle test
*fvwmgtkseparator
*fvwmgtkitem item1 "exec echo item1"

module FvwmGtk
mouse 3 a r sendtomodule FvwmGtk test 3

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Jun 1999 11:34:02 -0400

%% TG <[email-masked]> writes:

  t> I tried to start FvwmGtk within fvwm2, but I don't see anything happen.
  t> When I run it from the command-line, it segfaults.

You're not allowed to run any module, including FvwmGtk, from the
command line.  Modules must be started by the fvwm2 Module command.

Of course, it shouldn't segfault.  Most modules die with a polite
message:

  $ /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.4/FvwmButtons
  FvwmButtons v2.3.4 should only be executed by fvwm!

So, the segfault is a bug (weren't we going to create a "ModuleInit()"
function that did all the basic setup for modules in libfvwm.a?).

As to why "nothing happens", how do you have it configured, and what did
you expect to happen?

  t> PS. Is there something wrong with JitterBug? I can't submit my
  t> bugreport there.

Why not?  I mean, what happens when you try?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: TG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:47:11 +0200

> As to why "nothing happens", how do you have it configured, and what did

I hadn't read the man page well, I thought it would do "something". I
was wrong. :-)

> Why not?  I mean, what happens when you try?

When I clicked the submit button this moring around 10:30 MEST, Netscape
told me it was contacting www.fvwm.org, but no data came in. I tried
three times, and I had to use the abort button each time. Dunno wether
it is still a problem right now.

Tung

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jun 1999 14:40:34 -0500

>>>>> "T" == TG  <[email-masked]> writes:

T> When I clicked the submit button this moring around 10:30 MEST, Netscape
T> told me it was contacting www.fvwm.org, but no data came in.

We had an outage which ended at 8:20AM CDT, but everything's been fine
since then.

I sure would like to get my UPS back online.  As an aside, think twice
about buying APC products; I've lost two 2.2KVA units in the last year.
Unfortunately I don't know of anything else like a Symmetra (which I really
want), so I'll have to spring for 24hr on-site service.  Sigh.

 - J<