Subject: going for 2.4

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:27:04 -0600

I think it's time to start working towards 2.4 soon. What are the pending
issues? Possible candidates are:

Enhancements:

 e1) Tear off menus (I can't promise that I'll have the time however).
 e2) Get restart straight (sometimes an application vanishes over restarts)
 e3) Document the GNOME stuff (man page still missing).

Fixes:

 f1) Fix the pager bugs I reported today
 f2) Figure out what the problem with Amaya is
 ... (I have a list of more problems at home, I'll add them later).

Testing:

 t1) Run the purify script again (and update it).
 t2) Test the strokes patch.
 t3) Test the new menu styles (ItemFormat!)
 
I wonder if we should put this to do list into CVS or in Jitterbug so that
we can track comments and further ideas. Comments?

Future issues:

 f1) User friendly configuration (e.g. with scripts, menus or FvwmForm?)
 f2) Palette and font list support for modules.
 f3) Investigate drag and drop support.
 f4) Tear off menus.
 f5) Shared library.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:04:35 -0600

>  f1) User friendly configuration (e.g. with scripts, menus or FvwmForm?)

I myself have been playing with a FvwmScript script file to do this very
thing.  However the largest problem I see with this is the wide variety
in how a config file can be setup, and there for making the script huge
with parsing routines to find them out.  Quite frankly I think fvwm1
with it's .fvwm structure would have been easier to modify in this
fashion.  If we could get people to install from scratch their .fvwm2rc
files and use the GUI config tool that is come up with I can't see much
trouble then in modifying them.  Only other thing that has to be done is
to make sure the modules decor functions all have the same type of name
and structure.

Just my humble views on this.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jun 1999 10:32:08 -0500

>>>>> "JK" == Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]> writes:

JK> If we could get people to install from scratch their .fvwm2rc files and
JK> use the GUI config tool that is come up with I can't see much trouble
JK> then in modifying them.

They only have to wipe their files if they want to use the tool.  Don't let
the fact that some people won't do this get in the way of writing the
tool.  Some folks will never use a graphical configurator anyway.

The important thing is that the tool not mangle an existing setup.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:38:29 -0400

> to make sure the modules decor functions all have the same type of name

If you are trying to take on complete configuration, you should check
out the dotfile generator.  Follow the link from the fvwm site.

I think the only reason  we haven't given in  and  accept this as  our
"standard" configurator, is   the Tcl/Tk requirement.  (Well,  I'm not
that familiar with it, but the screenshots look good.)

If you can do anything using FvwmScript that would be great since it
doesn't require any other packages.

It sounds like you are trying to address overall configuration.

I've been  trying  to chop off  pieces,  (FvwmForm, FvwmAnimate), each
with its own config file.  I was hoping, that  after I chopped off all
the pieces, there  would  be nothing  but a  standard, skeleton config
file left.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:43:15 -0600

> that familiar with it, but the screenshots look good.)
 
I've had a look at it.  Yes the screen shots look good, but it doesn't
support half the features and it's mostly like FvwmConfig in that you
still have to specify most of the options by typing them in by hand, all
it really does is add in the proper header types and such.

> doesn't require any other packages.
That as mostly the reason that I was do it that way, and it's also alot
easier then writing a x program from scratch.

> the pieces, there  would  be nothing  but a  standard, skeleton config

This is sorta what I had it mind also, although the module stuff is
rather easy other then FvwmButtons (frankly a config script for
FvwmButtons would probably be harder to write then this one) there
really isn't too many options.  I think if you seperate the
functions/styles/decors all up then it should be alot easier.  E.g.. a
main script that writes/read the config file and launches separate
scripts for each module and style/functions and such.

There are only a few problems that I can think of that pop into my
brain.  First is a way to let people make their own functions in a non
write them in themselves and just write them to the config file way. 
Second is things like style defines, what I'd prefer is something like
they point at a window and it would grab the windows class name info
then they just have to click on radio buttons or something to like set
icons/borders etc.  Could also be added to a window button like Wmaker
has Is this possible?  Something like FvwmIdenet > /tmp/tmpfile then
just parsing that file for it,  maybe FvwmEvent might work here, I'll
have to check.  And third, think it would be better to have one script
that is run at a fresh install so make a starting .fvwm2rc file, then
have one for post install config that contains all the parsing routines
and the like?

And finally, I'm also working on a script to do theme changing so you
can select what you wanted changed, like sounds, background, icons etc.
and a another to make themes.  I guess these could also be included in
there as well.  But as this theme route has been tried many a time
before and never really made it anywhere simply because of the massive
amount of changes and structure that has to be added to most .fvwm2rc
files.

Well I think I've come up with some good ideas on how this can be done
and requires very little in the way of changes to an existing rc file. 
I'll include what I'm doing it and how, plus few questions as it's just
about done in my next message.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]