Subject: VNC and key bindings

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:34:20 -0600

Sorry, I deleted the original mail.

The right way to prevent fvwm from stealing key events from a window
would be not to bind keys to the window in the first place (the same
applies to button presses too). THe initial binding is done in
add_window.c. The right way to do that is to create a new style:

  Style VNC IgnoreKeyBindings, IgnoreButtonBindings

The only drawback is that this can't be done dynamically, i.e. if
the window starts with a name 'foobar' and then is renamed to 'VNC'
the key bindings will still work (and vice versa). If we start
messing with the events in events.c it's too late.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:29:30 -0400

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 01:34:20PM -0600, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> would be not to bind keys to the window in the first place (the
> same applies to button presses too). THe initial binding is done in
> The only drawback is that this can't be done dynamically, i.e. if the
> window starts with a name 'foobar' and then is renamed to 'VNC' the
> key bindings will still work (and vice versa). If we start messing
> with the events in events.c it's too late.

Dominik,

as I pointed out in my response the the original poster, using Num Lock,
for some reason causes the events to get passed through correctlly. By
this I mean I have my regular fvwm on my default X server with
Ctrl+arrows to move around pages.  Then I start a VNC window also
running fvwm, with the same Ctrl+arrows bound.  Now if I have focus on
VNC and hit Ctrl->right my default fvwm moves.  But If I have Num Lock
on and do Ctrl->right the VNC page moves instead.

Now why it works with Num Lock I have no idea.  Yes I know that Num Lock
is a modifier it doesn't match in the toplevel fvwm so it gets passed to
the application.  Now why VNC strips Num Lock I don't know and I don't
care as long as it works.

As for adding a Style Option that was my first thought, and I did in
fact hack it in, but the VNC window has noclass and noresource, so you
only have the icon/window name to work with, which gets set to $USERS's
x desktop.  Which the expresiion to match was conflicting with some
stupid bx windows, so I gave up.  And just used the Num Lock trick.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]