Subject: Function cursors and triggers

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:33:38 +0300 (IDT)

Dominik,
Before the latest cursor code rewrite, a user had got "dot" cursor when a
function was started (in case it had several triggers). Now there is no
indication that the function is started and there will be soon activated
one of the defined triggers; which is not convenient, IMHO.

Speaking about functions, I think, the bug #359 can be in the bug section,
not in the "enhancements to do". No matter how you look at the "M" trigger
(for one it may be totally broken, for another it is improved) - the "C"
trigger is still broken. Because, in contradiction to the man page, the
"C" trigger is activated even after ClickTime. ClickTime is not taken into
account here at all. I really miss the "M" activated after ClickTime.

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:09:40 +0200

> one of the defined triggers; which is not convenient, IMHO.

Hm, I had hoped that you don't need that cursor anymore because an
action is alway triggered as soon as the user stops fiddling with the
mouse. But the real reason is that running functions and selecting
windows shared the same cursor and that I didn't see a real need here.
I imagine the dot cursor is a bit confusing to new fvwm users. It would
be trivial to undo that change.

> account here at all. I really miss the "M" activated after ClickTime.

It's in enhancements because I still think the way it is handled now is
more intuitive. You made a suggestion about a 'Hold' action. This is
what I would consider an enhancement. The man page has to be corrected if
it says something different. Sorry if I didn't find the time to implement
this (and that won't change for a while). If you want if this badly it
would be best if you try to make the patch yourself. The IsClick()
function is a bit tricky, buth otherwise there is not much to it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:56:56 +0300 (IDT)

> be trivial to undo that change.

The problem here is that currently time from the function start and its
action can take minutes (while holding mouse pressed) and a user can't
know that after releasing the mouse button something will happen. :)

If there will be "H" implemented and "C" will be limited to ClickTime,
there will probably be no need for this cursor (it would be nice to have
it anyway as an option maybe), since in this case one of the actions will
be evaluated during ClickTime (which is less than half a second usually).

> function is a bit tricky, buth otherwise there is not much to it.

I didn't mean that _you_ must implement this, I only wanted to bring this
question up. And you definitely need not to be sorry.
Thank you for all your work!

Regards,
Mikhael.