Subject: Re: New icon code doesn't work on mixed-visual depth displays

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:39:13 +0100

Subject: Re: New icon code doesn't work on mixed-visual depth displays
From: Greg Onufer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:08:30 -0700

(sorry, I don't subscribe to fvwm-workers and you didn't cc me
on your reply so I only found it by accident browsing the archives
today)

> I haven't got xemacs 21.2b15 but xemacs 21.0 works fine.  It doesn't
> provide an icon pixmap but an icon bitmap,  I tried to get xemacs to use
> a truecolor visual but it refused with the error message:
>
> Invalid Depth specification in TrueColor... ignoring...

It chooses one by default if the display supports it.  Even when the
default visual is 8-bit pseudo-color.

> (I ran it with xemacs -visual TrueColor, I have an 8 bit Pseudo default
> and just one other visual: a 24 bit TrueColor). What depth is your
> Truecolor visual?  If xemacs works with any other window manager is the
> icon in color or monochrome?

24-bits.  Until I updated my fvwm CVS workspace it was color.

> I made some changes to the icon code on the 10th June 1999, is your
> version of fvwm before or after this date?

After.  Here's the exact message fvwm emits:

[FVWM][GetIconBitmap]: <<ERROR>> Bad client icon pixmap depth 24

And all I get is the text label.  If I open and close again even
the text label disappears (probably off-screen?).

Cheers!greg