Subject: Re: I18N_MB patch for fvwm 2.2

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:45:19 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 07:50:11PM +0900, Makoto MATSUSHITA wrote:
> 
> I've reorganized an X i18n-patch (previously, for fvwm 2.0.46) to fvwm
> 2.2. It adds (partially) multibyte support to fvwm. Maybe have some
> dirty codes, but it works 5 years before (yes, FIVE years before. This
> patch was born when the fvwm version was 1.20).
> 
> Interesting? Try:
> 
> ftp://ftp.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/pub/CFAN/fvwm-users-jp/I18N_MB/fvwm-2.2-I18N_MB-1999042001.patch
> 
> I've not sent to this list because it is about 162KB!. Instructions
> are shown in the head of this patch.
> 
> If somebody wanna put into fvwm repository, do it in anyway. Since I
> have very few time to keep this patch up-to-date, I do not want to get
> the access rights to commit fvwm CVS repository.

Okay, I have taken the risk and applied this patch as best as I could
to the current CVS (the coming 2.3.5) anthough we are close to 2.4 now.
Without enabling this the sources still compile as before, so I am not
too concerned of the risk. If we don't get it running we can remove the
code without too much effort. These are the problems I am aware of:

 - The redefinitions of XDrawString at the beginning of FvwmWinList.c
   do not compile.
 - I didn't apply the patch to fvwm/read.c (changed too much).
 - I didn't apply the patch to FvwmForm.c (too big).
 - There are probably some new 'isspace' calls that have to be modified.
 - Same with XDrawString.
 - I have seen several calls of XTextWidth that are not handled (e.g.
   in menus.c). I'm not sure if this is okay.
 - I didn't check the patch for completeness. 

Makoto, please, if you want to see that patch in the fvwm distribution
take the time to update read.c and FvwmForm.c for the current CVS and
check if I have done things right (and complete).

To our autoconf/automake experts: please have a look at the patches
and see what we can do to reduce ifdef'ing drastically. There is the
mentioned compatibility problem with a #define at the start of
FvwmWinList too.

I'd really like to see this patch in the distribution. Please help.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 23:05:04 +0200

> Okay, I have taken the risk and applied this patch as best as I could

I thought we had decided that it wasn't appliable in its current form.

>  - I didn't check the patch for completeness. 

If you ask me, these are more than enough problem to back it out and
wait until we find someone who knows I18N under X, has enough time to
clean up and debug this stuff (and has a system where he *can* debug it.

> I'd really like to see this patch in the distribution. Please help.

I'm strongly opposed to include this in its current form. If there are
japanese fvwm users who have more time than the original patch submitter
they should step forward and help us get this in shape. 

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:44:56 +0200

> they should step forward and help us get this in shape. 

We won't ever get it if we don't make a start. It's too big a task
for any single person to complete it alone. Furthermore it has no
impact on the standard cod. If we don't get it running, all we have
to do in automatically remove the I18N defines, three new files
and patch one Makefile.am.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA (まつしたまこと) <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:41:36 +0900

dominik.vogt> Makoto, please, if you want to see that patch in the
dominik.vogt> fvwm distribution take the time to update read.c and
dominik.vogt> FvwmForm.c for the current CVS and check if I have done
dominik.vogt> things right (and complete).

O.K., I just fetched the current fvwm code; check them ASAP.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:15:40 -0400 (EDT)

> I thought we had decided that it wasn't appliable in its current form.

That's what I thought, too.  Were we mistaken, or has the consensus
changed? 

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

If mashed potatoes were security guards, they wouldn't get much done.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:38:35 +0200

> That's what I thought, too.  Were we mistaken, or has the consensus

The consensus has implicitly changed by ignoring me and my question
and requests for help on this topic completely. If I have to do this
stuff alone, without any actual knowledge of multibyte support, I will
do it.  Sorry, I don't want to look aggressive, but I will continue
this way unless somebody comes up with something constructive. Sure,
in the current form the changes don't fit into our striving for clean
code. But we don't really expect that someone shows up, writes complete
and clean multibyte support, volunteers to test and maintain it and
causes us no additional work at all.

Oh, and BTW, I asked at least half a dozen times for someone else
to take up the job to plan the release. I can live perfectly well
without all this pressure, so if there is a volunteer to do it and
he tells me to remove the patch - no problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]