Subject: Additional default menu item

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:22:31 +0300 (IDT)

When you work with different configurations (possible bad) you sometimes
get no root menus and can't do anything. The default menu contains
Exit option, this is all. I think it is good to add FvwmTalk, so you can
execute anything you like, including restarting with a better config file.

Here is a manual patch to fvwm.c (line 873 for now):

+    "+ \"&3. Fvwm Command\" Module FvwmForm FormFvwmTalk.",

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:01:57 +0200

> +    "+ \"&3. Fvwm Command\" Module FvwmForm FormFvwmTalk.",

Isn't FvwmConsole a better choice? You need only one module and
I find it easier to use. I haven't tried the FvwmForm script however.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:09:21 +0200

> +    "+ \"&3. Fvwm Command\" Module FvwmForm FormFvwmTalk.",

Should the command "Module FvwmForm FormFvwmTalk" do anything useful?
I just get a tiny window (1x1 characters). When I enlarge it I see the
title is FvwmTalk, but it doesn't do anything useful.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 02:34:22 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > Exit option, this is all. I think it isgood to add FvwmTalk, so you can

You forgot trailing dot in FormFvwmTalk. .
Yes, sure. It must be FvwmConsole. I have always used FvwmTalk since
FvwmConsole didn't work for me sometimes with fvwm 2.0.*.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:52:35 +0200

> +    "+ \"&3. Fvwm Command\" Module FvwmForm FormFvwmTalk.",

Hm, I can't get FvwmForm to work. I've added an FvwmConsole menu entry.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:33:58 -0400

>From a "user interface" perspective, I'm not sure I see the utility of
a console type interface  for correcting a  missing configuration.   I
just think it could cause  confusion.  I'm not  dead set against it, I
just wouldn't have done it myself.

Note that the original statement "you sometimes  get no root menus and
can't do anything" does not reflect the current state of fvwm2.

I'm more concerned that "FvwmTalk" isn't working for you.

The tiny  box symptom indicates that  when FvwmForm issued the command
"Read  FormFvwmTalk.  quiet", that it  couldn't find the  file, or the
file   didn't  have    any   commands  in    it    that started   with
"*FormFvwmTalk.".  Is   there  a   file   with  that  name   in   your
"$sysconfdir" (/usr/local/etc/fvwm) or some place similar?

"FvwmTalk" and FvwmConsole do just  about  the same thing.  Which  one
you would use is mostly preference.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:44:04 -0600

> "$sysconfdir" (/usr/local/etc/fvwm) or some place similar?

I never install fvwm with 'make install'. I have a script that copies the binaries.
And I link all that libexec/foo paths to ~/bin/fvwm2. I couldn't figure out where
to put the forms. 

Bye

Dominik ^_^
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:48:49 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Dan Espen wrote:

> a console type interfacefor correcting a  missing configuration. I
> just think it could causeconfusion.  I'm not  dead set against it, I

I wanted to say "no root menu, except the default one". I really need fvwm
command tool in the default menu, just to be able to Raise/Move windows,
Restart with a better configuration (Restart fvwm2 -f file) and so on.

> you would use is mostly preference.

I agree, but, personally, I like FvwmConsole more, because it has no
limitations of FvwmTalk (no history, no copy and paste etc.).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:19:50 -0400

> Restart with a better configuration (Restart fvwm2 -f file) and so on.

I can see anyone on the workers list putting a command tool to use
this way, but surely not on a continuing basis?

> limitations of FvwmTalk (no history, no copy and paste etc.).

Currently, FvwmTalk has paste, no copy.
FvwmTalk is slightly more new user friendly in that it has a help
form.

Don't take  these comments as  disagreement.  I'm not strongly against
"extra" things in the built-in menu.