Subject: restart broken *again* (sigh)

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:09:45 +0200

1) Start fvwm on page 0 0 with some app.
2) switch to a different page
3) exit X, reboot or whatever
4) Start fvwm again.

==> Fvwm starts on the page on which you ended the last session.
    New applications appear on the current (wrong) page.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:11:41 +0200

>     New applications appear on the current (wrong) page.

Sorry, after looking more closely it seems that a restart alwasy puts
me on page 0 1 (on a 2x2 desktopn).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:25:00 -0400

> me on page 0 1 (on a 2x2 desktopn).

	Sounds like what you're doing is restarting FVWM under a different name
from the last invocation. With the current state of the Restart code,
FVWM doesn't recognize that it's restarting in this case, so it doesn't
switch back to the previous page. You should also see your InitFunction
being executed instead of your RestartFunction when this happens.

	Have you tried out Mikhael's Restart patch from Friday? I haven't had a
chance to do so yet -- my schedule's been really crazy this week.

- Bob

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:35:15 +0300 (IDT)

>   New applications appear on the current (wrong) page.

Try to remove ~/.fvwm_restart and start again, does this help?
I will look at this tommorow to determine the possible cause of this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:07:30 -0400

> me on page 0 1 (on a 2x2 desktopn).

	Actually, I think you may have been right both times! I think it's that
it always tries to go back to the last page a restart was done from when
the restart file was written - even on a cold start, after terminating X
and starting it up again.

	I finally got it to settle down by deleting my .fvwm_restart file. (I
also shut down X and started up again cold.) Now it seems to be working
pretty much the way Restart used to (which isn't quite what we want,
granted). 

	The current version isn't writing the restart file, so I can't say
whether it would be correct if it did - but it won't continue to confuse
itself or another version of FVWM. It will get confused, however, if you
do a Restart from another recent version.

	Can we live with it like this for a day or two? I won't have a chance
to look at it seriously till tomorrow evening at the earliest. (Of
course, by then, Mikhael may well have spotted the problem.)

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:42:18 -0600

> chance to do so yet -- my schedule's been really crazy this week.

No, it's the other way round. I don't *restart* fvwm, I reboot my machine and
start it then. Althought it's clearly no restart, the .fvwm-restart file
is evaluated. I don't know if my windows are started from RestartFunc or
InitFunc, but they all pop up on page 0 1. The .fvwm-restart file has
0 1 stored as the current page (I didn't look at the sections for the other
windows). I noticed the problem first with the patch applied.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:47:59 +0100

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> is evaluated.

I think it might be a good idea for .fvwm-restart to be deleted as soon
as it has been used.  The only time it should exist on disk is when fvwm
is restarting itself.
Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:55:57 -0600

> me on page 0 1 (on a 2x2 desktopn).

I'm a bit confused about the status of this. With all available patches
applied it still happens.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:56:17 +0300 (IDT)

> as it has been used. The only time it should exist on disk is when fvwm

Yes, but there is no harm (not the case for the moment) of having
old .fvwm-restart, since it will only be used on Restart (not on StartUp).
Also .fvwm-restart probably must not be removed, if you exit from fvwm,
but not from X and then start fvwm again (Restarting implied in this
case).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:07:36 +0300 (IDT)

> applied it still happens.

This problem was not fixed yet, I will try to fix it today.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:13:45 +0300 (IDT)

>   New applications appear on the current (wrong) page.

This is fixed. Now waiting for Jason.
I will send you the patch again if there will be no access in 3 hours. :)

There are still problems on restarts, like placing sticky windows on
wrong pages, so they are visible only in a pager (if at all).
I didn't have time to look at it more closely.

Regards,
Mikhael.