Subject: fvwm and session manager

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 00:22:07 +0300 (IDT)

I have spend several hours to test and debug fvwm under a session manager
(I used gnome-session). I have fixed two small bugs, but this is not
enough. Here are some random notes on the subject.

1) I think, it must be in the man page that InitFunction/RestartFunction
must not include Exec's which map windows (like xterm, but xsetroot is ok)
if anyone wants to use a session manager.
Or probably new functions SessionInitFunc & SessionRestartFunc can be
executed if a session manager was detected.

2) There are problems with swallowed windows in FvwmButtons. They are
usually duplicated by the session manager and fvwm on the next start-up,
because they were unswallowed on the previous module exit. The solution
is either to not unswallow them (forcing Swallow (Close) if a session
manager detected) or to delay somehow swallowing by FvwmButtons. I am
not sure which is more correct here if at all.

3) SaveWindowStates sometimes produces wrong geometry, for example:
  [GEOMETRY] -1 -1 104 94 0 0 114 0 0 0    - for FvwmPager.
    must be: (0  0 104 94)
This causes my sticky pager to become invisible, he is on the page (1,1)
instead of the current (0,0). I use another pager to move it to (0,0) and
then close. This happens, of cause, without a session manager too.

4) Sometimes (on start-up) window flags are not restored.

5) Must fvwm have QuitSession command? Current Quit behaves very
unexpected creating troubles on the next start-up (fvwm is not started),
the cure is to switch to another WM (via gnomecc) and back.

Mikhael,
Regards.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 23:40:29 +0200

> if anyone wants to use a session manager.

What is the exact problem with these ?
If you are running a session manager, you shouldn't start apps via
the InitFunc anyway. The session manager is responsible for that.

> executed if a session manager was detected.

Probably not. We should maybe add some documentation about the interaction
of Init/RestartFunc and SM to the FAQ.

> not sure which is more correct here if at all.

Wow, unforeseen problem. I'll have to think about it a bit.

> then close. This happens, of cause, without a session manager too.

This is most likely due to my wrestling with C's mod() and div() functions.
I did stupid things there and didn't get around to fixing them yet. Maybe
you could have a look at it ? IIRC I had problems with negative coords
which I tried to solve by writing my own mod() surrogate.

> the cure is to switch to another WM (via gnomecc) and back.

No, users have to be educated not to use Quit if running under SM.
Using Quit under SM simply causes fvwm to leave the session which 
continues to run. You could instruct the SM to automatically restart fvwm
in this case...
It should btw already be possible to define QuitSession by Exec'ing
a commandline tool to control the SM (doesn't Gnome have something
like session-quit ?)

MAtthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:20:42 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> [Mikhael Goikhman wrote]

Is it your mailer not adding these lines or trying to save bytes? :)

> the InitFunc anyway. The session manager is responsible for that.

The problem is that I want to have one rc file, good for both running
inside a session and without it. Is it only me wanting this?

> which I tried to solve by writing my own mod() surrogate.

I will look at this anyway.

> continues to run. You could instruct the SM to automatically restart fvwm

Yes, restarting seems to be more expected. At least there will not be
such bad situation, although it seems to be gnome bug here thinking WM is 
running (on the next start), when it is not.

> a commandline tool to control the SM (doesn't Gnome have something

I didn't find something similar. This works: killall gnome-session :)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:31:34 +0200

> From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
> 
> > [Mikhael Goikhman wrote]
> 

I really should figure out how to tell rmail to add these...

> inside a session and without it. Is it only me wanting this?

OK, good point. Then Session versions of InitFunc and RestartFunc may
be a good way to achieve this.