Subject: RPM stuff

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jun 1999 20:57:45 -0500

OK, I've done some picking at the spec file that David Frye uploaded.
(After figuring out cpio, that is.  Why on earth cpio instead of tar?)
There are some interesting things there that I wasn't aware of.

First, there's a small patch which amazingly doesn't touch any code.  (I
guess they didn't feel the need any more.)  Changes:

location of perl in FvwmConsoleC.pl
Remove various items from the system.fvwm2rc that don't ship with RedHat.
Nuke the remote-logins popup from system.fvwm2rc (which I think is dumb
  anyway).
Remove most of the other WM choices from the Restart menu
This hunk from configure.in:

-FVWM_MODULEDIR='${libexecdir}/${PACKAGE}/${VERSION}'
+FVWM_MODULEDIR='${libexecdir}'

That's it for the patch; it's all reasonable for RedHat's situation except
for the last bit, which some folks might have issues with.

There is an included tarball of 'compat-icons'; the content listing of that
archive is at the end.  I don't remember if there were reasons why removed
these.

They distribute icons that seem to be from 2.0.46; most of them are in the
CVS tree but some aren't.  A list of those is also at the end.  And note
that we name mini icons like "mini.arch.xpm" while they replace '.'  with
'-'.  In the list below, I have made their names confirm to ours for the
purposes of finding which ones are really missing.  I also don't understand
why they choose to include some icons in both the compat and regular icon
tarballs under different names.

The icon issues are rather important; they prevent us from providing a
drop-in replacement for the RedHat package.  Does anyone know how Debian
deals with this?  Particularly the fact that we removed some icons should
be an issue.

 - J<

XYX:epithumia:~/blah/rpm> tar tfz compat-icons.tar.gz |sed 's!usr/share/icons/!!'| pr -3 -w80 -t 
bell.xpm                   mini/mini-edit.xpm         mini/mini-paint.xpm
desktop.xpm                mini/mini-exclam.xpm       mini/mini-pencil.xpm
folder.xpm                 mini/mini-exp.xpm          mini/mini-question.xpm
keyboard.xpm               mini/mini-eyes.xpm         mini/mini-raise.xpm
mini/mini-ball.xpm         mini/mini-filemgr.xpm      mini/mini-ray.xpm
mini/mini-bball.xpm        mini/mini-fractal.xpm      mini/mini-rball.xpm
mini/mini-bomb.xpm         mini/mini-gball.xpm        mini/mini-resize.xpm
mini/mini-book1.xpm        mini/mini-gv.xpm           mini/mini-roach.xpm
mini/mini-book2.xpm        mini/mini-hammer.xpm       mini/mini-run.xpm
mini/mini-bug1.xpm         mini/mini-happy.xpm        mini/mini-sh.xpm
mini/mini-bug2.xpm         mini/mini-hextris.xpm      mini/mini-sh1.xpm
mini/mini-bx2.xpm          mini/mini-k.xpm            mini/mini-slon.xpm
mini/mini-calc.xpm         mini/mini-lock.xpm         mini/mini-stop.xpm
mini/mini-camera.xpm       mini/mini-lower.xpm        mini/mini-term.xpm
mini/mini-cdlabel.xpm      mini/mini-mail.xpm         mini/mini-tetris.xpm
mini/mini-clock.xpm        mini/mini-manual.xpm       mini/mini-turn.xpm
mini/mini-colors.xpm       mini/mini-max1.xpm         mini/mini-up.xpm
mini/mini-comanche.xpm     mini/mini-maze.xpm         mini/mini-wilbur.xpm
mini/mini-connect.xpm      mini/mini-modules.xpm      mini/mini-windows.xpm
mini/mini-connected.xpm    mini/mini-move.xpm         mini/mini-x.xpm
mini/mini-cross.xpm        mini/mini-move1.xpm        mini/mini-x2.xpm
mini/mini-default.xpm      mini/mini-nscape.xpm       mini/mini-xmahjongg.xpm
mini/mini-display.xpm      mini/mini-ofolder.xpm      mini/mini-xv.xpm
mini/mini-doc.xpm          mini/mini-olwm.xpm         mini/mini-zoom.xpm

XYX:epithumia:~/blah/rpm> diff b a|grep '>'|sed 's/^> //' |pr -4 -w80 -t 
                    mini.colors.xpm     mini.hex.xpm        mini.sound.xpm
Xfm.xpm             mini.connect.xpm    mini.hextris.xpm    mini.start.xpm
bckgnd1.xpm         mini.crosbone.xpm   mini.icons.xpm      mini.stop.xpm
bckgnd3.xpm         mini.cross.xpm      mini.keyboard.xpm   mini.telnet.xpm
documents.xpm       mini.desktop.xpm    mini.lock.xpm       mini.term.xpm
doombig.xpm         mini.diff.xpm       mini.mail.xpm       mini.tetris.xpm
find1.xpm           mini.diskette.xpm   mini.manual.xpm     mini.trebol.xpm
folder.xpm          mini.display.xpm    mini.max1.xpm       mini.turn.xpm
fvwm-menu.xpm       mini.doc.xpm        mini.maze.xpm       mini.twm.xpm
gv.xpm              mini.doc1.xpm       mini.modules.xpm    mini.window.xpm
help.xpm            mini.dog.xpm        mini.monitor.xpm    mini.windows.xpm
jewelbig.xpm        mini.edit.xpm       mini.move1.xpm      mini.x.xpm
lemacs.xpm          mini.espada.xpm     mini.mwm.xpm        mini.x2.xpm
linux-menu.xpm      mini.exclam.xpm     mini.news.xpm       mini.xfig.xpm
mini.arch.xpm       mini.exp.xpm        mini.nscape.xpm     mini.xjewel.xpm
mini.ball.xpm       mini.eyes.xpm       mini.ofolder.xpm    mini.xkeycaps.xpm
mini.bball.xpm      mini.fax.xpm        mini.olwm.xpm       mini.xlander.xpm
mini.book1.xpm      mini.fdisk.xpm      mini.pager.xpm      mini.xmahjongg.xpm
mini.book2.xpm      mini.filemgr.xpm    mini.paint.xpm      mini.xsnow.xpm
mini.books.xpm      mini.folder.xpm     mini.palette.xpm    mini.xv.xpm
mini.briefcase.xpm  mini.font.xpm       mini.pdf.xpm        mini.zoom.xpm
mini.bug1.xpm       mini.fractal.xpm    mini.pencil.xpm     mini.xpm
mini.bug2.xpm       mini.frame.xpm      mini.penguin.xpm    nscape.xpm
mini.bx2.xpm        mini.ftp.xpm        mini.perf.xpm       programs.xpm
mini.calc.xpm       mini.gball.xpm      mini.question.xpm   run.xpm
mini.camera.xpm     mini.go.xpm         mini.ray.xpm        settings.xpm
mini.cat.xpm        mini.gopher.xpm     mini.rball.xpm      shutdown.xpm
mini.cave.xpm       mini.graph.xpm      mini.roach.xpm      textedit.xpm
mini.cd.xpm         mini.gv.xpm         mini.run.xpm        utilities-menu.xpm
mini.cdlabel.xpm    mini.hammer.xpm     mini.sh.xpm         wterm.xpm
mini.chinese.xpm    mini.happy.xpm      mini.sh1.xpm        xboingbig.xpm
mini.clipboard.xpm  mini.hdisk.xpm      mini.slon.xpm       xview.xpm
mini.clock.xpm      mini.heart.xpm
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:18:53 -0700

Previously...
>archive is at the end.  I don't remember if there were reasons why removed

Does this spec file still apply the FVWMDIR patch? It restores the
FVWMDIR variable for use in FvwmCpp and FvwmM4. The spec file from
fvw2-2.2-1, the latest RPM I found (in contrib.redhat.com) was
applying it, I suppose to support AnotherLevel.

Also, does --prefix=/usr/X11R6 or /usr/local?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Closed Mondays." The Walker Art Center
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jun 1999 20:19:18 -0500

>>>>> "MH" == Michael Han <[email-masked]> writes:

MH> Does this spec file still apply the FVWMDIR patch?

I don't think so; all I see is what I mentioned.  Other than the system
fvwm2rc changes there's just the change to FVWM_MODULEDIR.

MH> Also, does --prefix=/usr/X11R6 or /usr/local?

ENOPARSE, but perhaps this will answer your question:

%build
CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./configure \
        --prefix=/usr/X11R6 --enable-extras \
        --libexecdir=\${prefix}/lib/X11/fvwm2   \
        --sysconfdir=/etc/X11/fvwm2
make 

 - J<