Subject: Notification: incoming/401

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:42:20 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/401

Message summary for PR#401
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: Fvwm Taskbar clock not update unless mouse is over it
	Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:42:18 -0500 (CDT)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:51:05 +0200

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 10:42:20AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> Running Fvwm-2.2 on Solaris 2.5.1 machines the clock 
> in the FvwmTaskbar is not updated until the mouse
> is moved over it. This problem is not affected by 
> changing the update time.

I can't verify this on my machine, but it isn't a Solaris machine. So
I have prepared a file with debugging output that should help to find
the problem. Could you please replace the file
extras/FvwmTaskBar/FvwmTaskBar.c with the attached file (make a backup),
recompile and install and record the console output? As this will generatei
tons of output, please do it exactly this way:

  1) Start X with fvwm and log the console output into a file.
  2) Do whatever you need to start the task bar.
  3) Focus a window with a shell and type 'cp logfile logfile.bak'
     where 'logfile' is the name of the file your console output is
     logged to. Don't hit 'Return' yet (i.e. type the command but do not
     execute it).
  4) Don't do anything. Don't touch the mouse or keyboard, simply wait and
     watch a few minutes until your problem occurs, i.e. your FvwmTaskBar
     should have updated the clock but didn't.
  5) Hit 'Return' to run the command you prepared above.

Run

  man select > select.manpage

on the offending machine. Finally send 'logfile.bak', 'select.manpage'
and the *FvwmTaskBar commands from your .fvwm2rc to [email-masked].
Please tar and gzip the files if you feel they are too large. If it's
still more than about 50k, send the files directly to me
([email-masked]) and I will truncate them appropriately before
forwarding them to the mailing list.

One thing you could try afterwards is this:

 1) Find the function EndLessLoop in the FvwmTaskBar.c file. If looks
    like this:

      void EndLessLoop()
      {
      fd_set readset;
      struct timeval tv;

      while(1) {
      ...

 2) Add a line before the 'while(1)':

      Xsynchronize(dpy, 1);

 3) Recompile and see if the problem goes away.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Len Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:54:10 -0400 (EDT)

Dominik,

	thank you for getting back to so quickly on this. My mail program
( pine ) did not show any attachment though. :{  I looked at the problem
again briefly and it seems that the focus needs to go between windows for
the time to be updated. i.e. sitting on a window or moving from a window
the root window does not update the time. But going between two xterm
window, etc will cause the taskbar to query the time. I am going to try
the suggestions at the end of this email, and hope to hear back from you
with the attachemt.

			thanx,
				len

---

From: Len Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:30:30 -0400 (EDT)

Dominik,
	I recompiled with the FvwmTaskBar.c you sent me. I've attached 4
files. 

1. Logfile.bak is the file created as you specified. I ran fvwm2 w/
taskbar, and then after a few minutes when the time was not updated I
pressed return to copy the console logfile to logfile.bak.

2. Logfile.bak2 was a second copy I made of the logfile, right after I
changed focus to another window, and thereby causing the time to be
updated.

3. fvwmtaskbar is a text file showing the *FvwmTaskBar options. The users
local .fvwm2rc issues the commands Read system.fvwm95rc and and Read
stat.fvwm95rc. Those are the only two lines in the local .fvwm2rc.

4. is the select.manpage from the solaris system.

	Also I tried to add the line Xsynchronize(dpy,1); to the
EndLessLoop function but the functions is not defined and the compile
fails. I will look into this some more.

	Let me know if you need anything else.

			Thanx,
				len

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:23:48 +0200

> changed focus to another window, and thereby causing the time to be

Thanks. This convinces me that you are experiencing a configuration
problem.

> stat.fvwm95rc. Those are the only two lines in the local .fvwm2rc.

With your config file (using only the lines from system.fvwm95rc) I see
it too. The seconds are not updated. The clock is refreshed every 60
seconds or when something happens on the desktop (as it is documented in
the man page).

You say you tried to increase the update interval and it didn't work. So
I suppose you made a typo. When I add the following line to the end of
the system.fvwm95rc the clock runs as it should:

  *FvwmTaskBarUpdateInterval 1

(without the leading spaces, of course). Please tell me if it solves
your problem.

> fails. I will look into this some more.

Forget it :)

> stat.fvwm95rc:AddToFunc "RestartFunction" "I" Module FvwmTaskBar
> stat.fvwm95rc:+ "TaskBar%mini-exp.xpm"		Module FvwmTaskBar
> stat.fvwm95rc:Style "FvwmTaskBar" NoTitle,BorderWidth 4,HandleWidth 4,Sticky, \
                                                                              ^^^^^

Is that just a cut-and-paste error? If not it will stop the next line from working.

Bye

Dominik ^_^