Subject: FvwmButtons bug?

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 11:20:49 -0400

Another weird thing in the latest CVS:

I have a button defined like this:

  (Icon n/netscape.xpm, Title Netscape, \
          Action (Mouse 1) 'Exec "Netscape" exec netscape', \
          Action (Mouse 2) 'Exec ns-start "`wxpaste`"', \
          Action (Mouse 3) 'Exec ns-start "`wxpaste`" ,new-window')

The netscape.xpm pixmap has only 14 colors, but when it appears the
colors are all screwed up.  The weird thing is I use other pixmaps
(although with less than 14 colors) and they all appear correctly.  I am
definitely not out of colors (yes, I ony have an 8-bit display, but the
buttonbar is essentially the first app to come up and so there are
plenty of colors available--also I can display that same pixmap using
sxpm after startup and it appears just fine).

I don't have a ColorLimit defined in my .fvwm2rc, either.

Any ideas?  Do you need a screenshot?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:59:53 -0400

> Any ideas?  Do you need a screenshot?

To   "improve"  the user   configuration   process, Colorlimit  is now
automatic on 8 bit displays.  Use "Colorlimit 0" to turn it off.

> -- 
>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 13:30:46 -0400

>> Any ideas?  Do you need a screenshot?

  de> To "improve" the user configuration process, Colorlimit is now
  de> automatic on 8 bit displays.  Use "Colorlimit 0" to turn it off.

Automatically set to what value?

And, why isn't this documented in the man page ;)?

  ...

Ah, yes, setting "ColorLimit 0" fixed it alright.  I'm not sure of the
utility of this improvement, myself :).

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:46:22 -0400

>From the man page:

This  command only  makes sense  on screens that display a
limited number of colors at  once.
If your  display can display  more
than 2 million colors at once, this command is ignored.
Screens that only display 256 colors at once are known as
8 bit displays.
The 2 million color cutoff point corresponds to 21 bit color,
the most common screen that exceeds this limit would be 24 bit.

On 8 bit displays, the default color limit is set to the size of
the built in table, (about 60).  We recommend that you start with the
default value, and not include this command in your .fvwm2rc.

> utility of this improvement, myself :).

For you or I, I would rate it as useless, and possibly a bother.

(Except that I now have access to both 8 and 24 bit color systems
and I am still avoiding CPP and M4.)

I was hoping for the average user, they wouldn't even notice.
Therefore, we would never get one of those problem reports,
"fvwm is eating all my colors".

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 14:35:49 -0400

>> From the man page:

  de> This command only makes sense on screens that display a limited
  de> number of colors at once.  If your display can display more than 2
  de> million colors at once, this command is ignored.  Screens that
  de> only display 256 colors at once are known as 8 bit displays.  The
  de> 2 million color cutoff point corresponds to 21 bit color, the most
  de> common screen that exceeds this limit would be 24 bit.

  de> On 8 bit displays, the default color limit is set to the size of
  de> the built in table, (about 60).  We recommend that you start with the
  de> default value, and not include this command in your .fvwm2rc.

Hmm... that's not there when I say "man fvwm2".  I guess my man page
isn't getting installed somewhere that man is looking when I run make
install.  Ho hum, I'm off to check my MANPATH.

  de> I was hoping for the average user, they wouldn't even notice.
  de> Therefore, we would never get one of those problem reports, "fvwm
  de> is eating all my colors".

I guess so.  It doesn't bother me all that much now that I know about it
;).