Subject: Re: FVWM: Icon Titles hidden behind other Icons

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:12:45 -0400

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 10:22:26PM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> > Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 05:40:18PM -0700, Patrick Stadler wrote:
> > > > Last, every once in a while, an icon will place itself behind another
> > > > icon, instead of in an open spot.  I haven't been able to reproduce thi
> s
> > > > reliably.  Its not a problem, though, since I have the WindowList bound
> > > > to a mouse button, but I just thought you might like to know.
> > > 
> > > Can you find a fairly reliable way to reproduce this?
> > 
> > Manually move an icon.  Fvwm2 stops avoiding it.
> > 
> > I believe this is on purpose, but the motivation for the "feature"
> > isn't clear to me.
> 
> Uh, really?  Experimenting with this I see that new icons *do* avoid
> the moved one, but the move icon itself will happily overlap any other
> in its designated place.

Uh, no I guess not.   I must have gotten my  moved and un-moved icons
mixed up.  But moving  an icon seems to  be the  way  to get  one icon
behind another.

> Dan, you know your way around with icon boxes. The passage responsible
> for this bug is (icons.c, AutoPlaceIcon, line 489 ff.):
...
> When the icon has been moved the code avoiding other icons is
> never activated (the passage handling icon boxes). Is it
> difficult to feed the icon box code with the current position
> of the icon as default and just make the icon avoid others
> without warping into the icon box?

The logic  of the "feature"  is clear  enough  now.  Once  you move an
icon, its moved-to position is permanent.   I don't think I follow the
change you are  suggesting.  If I make  a moved  icon, avoid anything,
then that will be changing its position.  Are you suggesting that once
an  icon is moved, it creates  a "hole" in  the iconbox, that no other
icon can  occupy?  I think  that could be  done, but I'm not  sure its
desirable.

Patrick seemed to be satisfied with the current behavior, so I moved
this thread to the workers list.

> Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:31:40 +0200

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 02:12:45PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> then that will be changing its position.

Hm, I'm not sure what can be done about it. I thought when you map a
moved icon and it overlaps some other icon in the same position it could
avoid it by moving a short distance up/down/left/right. Or - it it still
is within the icon box - it could be placed as usual. Sounds weird.
Perhaps it's best just to place it normally when it overlaps another icon.

> Are you suggesting that once

No, that is not what I meant.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]