Subject: autoconf and options in configure.in

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:40:19 +0200

I though it might be a good idea not to remove all the ifdefs
in the code for the configure options we won't allow in the future.
How can I tell autoconf to enable the macros unconditionally?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:35:34 +0100 (BST)

> How can I tell autoconf to enable the macros unconditionally?

Comment out the AC_ARG_ENABLE commands and the corresponding setting
of the relevant shell variables, retain the AC_SUBST and give a
meaningful value to the relevant variable, something like:

SHAPES=yes
AC_SUBST(SHAPES)

Haven't checked precisely on the code, but if they are simple
substitutions, this should work.

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:09:43 -0400 (EDT)

> substitutions, this should work.

Actually, the AC_ARG_ENABLEs in question are wrapped up in a fancy
"smr_SWITCH" macro, in an attempt to deal with the pre-autoconf mess. 
There were a dozen or so of these defines, some which were on by default,
some which were off; some of the symbols enabled a behaviour
(FVWM_DEBUG_MSGS) and some that *inhibited* a behaviour (MODALITY_IS_EVIL
-- i.e. disable modal dialogs).  See acinclude.m4 for full details.

The answer to Domink's question is:

1. comment out the corresponding "smr_SWITCH" line in configure.in, by
   putting "dnl " in front of it
2. find the `#undef SYMBOL' line in `acconfig.h', and set to the value
   desired -- either leave it undefined, or change to #define SYMBOL 1