Subject: Re: FVWM: cannot even pass configure

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Jun 1999 12:52:22 -0400

%% "Pushpak Patel" <[email-masked]> writes:

  pp> Can you help me, please

  pp> configure:1873: checking for c++
  pp> configure:1911: checking for c++
  pp> configure:1943: checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works
  pp> configure:1959: c++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
  pp> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  pp> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't find library for -lg++
  pp> configure: failed program was:

  pp> #line 1954 "configure"
  pp> #include "confdefs.h"

  pp> int main(){return(0);}

_This_ is what I was referring to a few weeks ago when I said that
configure died if you didn't have a C++ compiler.  Maybe it works OK if
you don't have a c++ program at all, I haven't tested that.

But I still think configure should "catch" the error if the C++ compiler
can't be used, and continue on.  After all, C++ is needed only for one
module, and probably one of the lesser-used ones at that.

We can add a note or warning to the informational printout at the end
saying that the C++ compiler wasn't found or was unusable, but IMO
configure shouldn't choke.

Can we do that with autoconf?  Would we have to write our own versions
of the compiler checking macros?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 02:35:46 +0300 (IDT)

> you don't have a c++ program at all, I haven't tested that.

This is also the reason for me to always do: configure --without-cpp
Must be fixed, IMO.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 01:43:09 +0200

> module, and probably one of the lesser-used ones at that.

Say, what module do you mean? Not FvwmConfig, by any chance? This
isn't in the distribution anymore.

> of the compiler checking macros?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Jun 1999 22:34:15 -0400

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> Say, what module do you mean? Not FvwmConfig, by any chance? This
  dv> isn't in the distribution anymore.

Hmm, good point!  I thought it was FvwmScript but I can't see any .cpp,
.cxx, .c++, or .C files anywhere in FVWM anymore.

Maybe we don't need a C++ compiler anymore?  That would be _way_ cool!
Can anyone think of a reason we need one?