Subject: FvwmIdent hangs

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:20:05 -0400

I just had FvwmIdent hang twice with this mornings CVS.
(Sometimes it works fine.)  Heres the dbx output:

(dbx) where
=>[1] _libc_read(0x4, 0x29568, 0x4, 0x0, 0xef4a2eb4, 0x16a04), at 0xef438598
  [2] positive_read(0x4, 0x29568, 0x4, 0x29400, 0x0, 0x0), at 0x16a04
  [3] ReadFvwmPacket(0x4, 0x29dac, 0x29da8, 0x0, 0xef4a5e04, 0xffffffff), at 0x16394
  [4] GetConfigLine(0x29da8, 0xefffd90c, 0x29c00, 0x1, 0x29da8, 0x40), at 0x16670
  [5] list_end(0x4000, 0x4000, 0x0, 0x29400, 0x0, 0x0), at 0x13ef0
  [6] process_message(0x4000, 0x29578, 0x29568, 0xefffdb20, 0xef4a2eb4, 0x16580), at 0x13054
  [7] Loop(0x29da8, 0x29c00, 0x0, 0xfbfffc00, 0x74, 0xef48e82c), at 0x12f38
  [8] main(0x6, 0xefffdcac, 0xefffdcc8, 0x29a08, 0x0, 0x0), at 0x12eb4

It seems to hang about 1 out of 10 times I invoke it.

I don't use the module everyday, so I can't say when this started.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:03:25 +0300 (IDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Dan Espen wrote:

> It seemsto hang about 1 out of 10 times I invoke it.
>

I noticed this yesterday at first.
The fastest way to reproduce this is to bind it, say, to Alt-Shift-F10.

  Key F10 A SM Module FvwmIdent

Focus a window and hold Alt-Shift-F10 for a second (not more!).
Some of the open FvwmIdent's will be broken (destroy them).

There is a problem with the binding itself (this is an old problem).
FvwmIdent must not be closed on key releasing (only on pressing),
otherwise keyboard binding with modifiers will not be usable.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 02:39:34 +0200

> I don't use the module everyday, so I can't say when this started.

I've seen it has in select() too. Looks like module
communication is broken.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 03:27:30 +0200

> It seems to hang about 1 out of 10 times I invoke it.

GetConfigLine was called when a fvwm packet was pending. GetConfigLine
waits until a M_CONFIG_LINE packet arrives. All other packets are dumped.
Since no M_CONFIG_LINE came, FvwmIdent hang. I use ReadFvwmPacket now
and do the parsing of the packet in FvwmIdent (code copied from Module.c).
BTW, the returned string 'tline' was freed. But GetConfigLine doesn't
malloc memory.

Tim, I think it's your code I changed (list_end() in FvwmIdent.c).
Could you please double check that my fix is correct and that the
same bug isn't in the other modules too? It was in the default
graphics handling.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:39:59 +0100

> same bug isn't in the other modules too? It was in the default

It looks OK now.

Cheers,
Tim.