Subject: Notification: incoming/374

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 04:54:06 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/374

Message summary for PR#374
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: enh: make all the modules share fvwm' visual and colors
	Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 04:54:04 -0500 (CDT)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:01:34 -0400

> Volunteers required to upgrade these modules to follow the
> Default{Font,Color,Background} command from fvwm:
>   Fvwm{Form,Icon{Box,Man},Pager,Script,TaskBar,Wharf,WinList}
> These modules already do if they have no config settings of font,fg,bg:
>   Fvwm{Animate,Buttons,Ident,Scroll}
> There is code in libs/ModGraph.c to help parse the config commands from
> fvwm.

FvwmForm has text foregrounds and backgrounds and button and input
foregrounds and backgrounds.  Any comments/ideas on how this should be
handled?

I    believe     there    are     similar    issues     for  titlebars
(active/inactive/pressed), and menus (unhilighted, hilighted, grayed).

Doing part of  this with default  commands and part of  this somewhere
else seems like an issue.

> --

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:59:32 +0100

> foregrounds and backgrounds.  Any comments/ideas on how this should be

I had a go at FvwmForm and failed by getting lost in the lists of
dt_types or something. My idea was that initially the color and font was
inherited from fvwm and as soon as you specified a different color it
created a new dt_type.  I was going to put in a new command
*FvwmFormDefaultColorAndFont so that you could have an explicitly
colored bit of text/button/input and then have an inherited part later
on.

> (active/inactive/pressed), and menus (unhilighted, hilighted, grayed).

There are also big problems with the pager/winlst type of modules. I
think it's time to decide if this stuff is worth it or to junk it.  To
carry on I think we need to implement sets of color/font rather than
just have one.  I don't know what to call these things, I'm not keen on
calling them themes since that name seems to mean more than just the
look.  CDE calls them colorsets which is OK but theses things include a
font as well. Any suggestions?

> else seems like an issue.

Yeah, it's only a part solution at the moment.  Having fvwm send the
DefaultGraphics to modules is not right, the first half (the visual to
use) is invariant, the XORGC is not very useful and I don't think just
sending the XFontID is enough if we are going to do the I18N thing
(which I don't understand and can't test).

I don't think we have to bloat fvwm with this. I'm thinking that fvwm
would send out the visual information only and a module could manage the
sets of colors and background pixmaps.  You could even have a variant
that links with Imlib to give you gnome theme support, or CDE or KDE
perhaps.

This is too big a task for just me, help!

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:04:34 +0200

> that links with Imlib to give you gnome theme support, or CDE or KDE

FvwmGtk does this already (imlib and gnome theme support, i mean).

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:56:26 -0400

> colored bit of text/button/input and then have an inherited part later

Yeah, its got lists of lists of lists of lists.  (At least that many).

I'm not sure you would   need a command,  the  first color or font  it
detects sets the overall default.  If no color or font command is ever
sent, it uses the defaults in  FvwmForm.h.  I think its those defaults
you'd want to mess with.

I think you'd want to  set "screen_background_color" without  changing
"bg_state" to do the  background.  The other things  you'd want to hit
are the "font_names" and "color_names" in the same file.

(Actually, I'm  under the impression you  don't actually send names of
things, but thats a detail.)

But the issue at hand is it needs at least 4 colors and 3 fonts.

> font as well. Any suggestions?

I'm not not   an expert on  CDE  but I think  CDE can   make this work
because they restrict so many things.  Because we are so configurable,
its a non-trivial problem.

I think we need lists:

Title fonts
input fonts
text fonts

button colors (fg/bg)
text colors (fg/bg)

Still things like the pager are special cases.  Each desk should be its
own color so you end up with

desk 1 background
desk 2 background

I don't know, I think it requires some more thought.

> This is too big a task for just me, help!

I'd like to, but its hurting my head.
Oops, got to get back to work.  Later.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:36:58 -0600

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 05:59:32PM +0100, Tim Phipps wrote:
> just have one.  I don't know what to call these things,

Palettes and font lists (like in CDE)?

> I'm not keen on

It will indeed be a big effort. But I think the gains may be worth it.
Wouldn't it be great if you could configure fonts and colours in a central
place and all modules would use them? I could imagine it like this:

In the main fvwm module there are commands to define a font list and
a palette, consisting of eight fonts/colours (actually this is exactly
what I have in my config file via FvwmCpp now).

  DefaultColour 1 black
  ...
  DefaultColour 8 green
  (colour 1 = default background, colour 2 = default foreground)

  DefaultFont xxxs 5x7
  DefaultFont xxs  6x9
  DefaultFont xs   lucidasanstypewriter-8
  DefaultFont s    lucidasanstypewriter-10
  DefaultFont m    lucidasanstypewriter-12
  DefaultFont l    lucidasanstypewriter-14
  DefaultFont xl   lucidasanstypewriter-18
  DefaultFont xxl  lucidasanstypewriter-24

In the module configuration you can use the colour names 'DefaultColour1-8'
and the font names 'DefaultFontXXXS-XXL' which are handled appropriately
by the lib. Each module has to have a certain common structure to hold this
information so that the lib can handle it. A great enhancement would be if
you could change the font list and palette at run-time and the modules
reconfigure themselves to display the changes. That would be a big step
ahead in themes support.

> sets of colors and background pixmaps.

Hm, I don't think it can be done without an enhancement of the module
interface.

> You could even have a variant
 
> This is too big a task for just me, help!

I'd love to, if it's not me who does the main work this time.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]