Subject: 2.3.4: icon style enhancements

From: Amir Chossrow Akhavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

Before it's too late (2.4) - but it is probably already - a request for 
2 enhancements:

1. A style option like IconForeground and IconBackground
My title fonts are white on a dark background when inactive, and black on
a
bright background when active.
The window borders are some sort of light grey, and when the icons are
unselected, reading the iconname is really a bit difficult. 
I've tried all sorts of color combinations to overcome this while still
preserving the general look and feel, and my "solution" is to use a
slightly
darker default background but have an additional bright pixmap for the
window
borders (there is no BorderStyle "color" or alike)
So a style to set the icon font colors and the icon background
colors, maybe even with an active/inactive option, would be nice.

2. This is more a "look" & eye-candy thing. 
Maybe there's no need for an enhancement, because it's already implemented
and
I'm just to dumb to figure it out.
My icons are displayed in a column along my right desk border, 
very NeXT like. 
If I deiconify one app, there is a gap in the column, and after a while
the
whole thing looks really messy, especially if the icons have different
heights, it's an eye sore.
I couldn't figure out up to now how to convince fvwm to automatically
rearrange
the icons and  fill these gaps. I had no luck with the icon manager
modules,
because they are  not transparent and they have borders etc. (or is there
a
way?) As I said, this is just a "look" thing. 

thanx & cheers,
amir

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:05:32 +0100

> the icons and  fill these gaps. I had no luck with the icon manager

if you have a de-iconify function put:

All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow

into it.  You may have to experiment with using CurrentPage in the
parentheses if you use virtual pages. It will also forget the fact that
you may have moved an icon manually.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:36:22 -0400

> you may have moved an icon manually.

This seems to work a treat:

AddToMenu Module-PopUp "&4. Icon Auto Arrange" Module FvwmEvent IconArrange
*IconArrange deiconify "All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow"

We've  had a number of  requests for this feature,  and I keep putting
the requests  off.  This seems  to be the  same as enhancement request
124.  Without any  icon sorting.  Any reason this  can't be offered as
the solution?

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 22 Jun 1999 16:03:56 -0400

>> All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow

  de> This seems to work a treat:

  de> AddToMenu Module-PopUp "&4. Icon Auto Arrange" Module FvwmEvent IconArrange
  de> *IconArrange deiconify "All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow"

I don't know much about FvwmEvent (it took me about 3 solid minutes of
looking at these two lines to (I think) figure out what they do :) but I
don't understand why we're invoking a whole Module operation here.

Why can't we do what Tim suggested, and just put that into a function
for deiconify?

What does the FvwmEvent module invocation give you?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:15:53 -0400

> What does the FvwmEvent module invocation give you?

Nothing.

Sorry, I didn't parse Tim's mail too well.
I've got it now.

> -- 
>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:04:56 +0100

> What does the FvwmEvent module invocation give you?

If a client de-iconifies itself the FvwmEvent solution will work.

I think there may be problems with this as a solution: I'm not sure what
state you lose with RecaptureWindow; and I had an email saying this
doesn't work well if you use (CurrentPage Iconic), I don't use virtual
pages so I can't easily test this.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:26:40 +0200

> 124.  Without any  icon sorting.  Any reason this  can't be offered as

Well, if you don't want to make this patch (ok by me), why don't we
explain how to do it in the man page (e.g. by hinting at the FAQ)?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Jun 1999 10:52:30 -0400

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> if you have a de-iconify function put:

  tp> All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow

Hmm.  I tried this with the latest CVS as of about an hour ago and it
gives _really_ odd results.  Maybe I did it wrong.  I did this:

  AddToFunc Iconify-and-Compact
  +       "C" Iconify
  +       "C" All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow

  Mouse 2   I   A   Function Iconify-and-Compact

Ouch.  What happens is everything seems more-or-less normal until the
first time I use the function (click mouse-2 on an icon), then it goes
to heck.

After that, every new window that's created is created iconified by
default.  This persists until I restart fvwm2.

Also after this happened I got some other weird effects.  Once I tried
to raise my Emacs GNUS frame (using a key in Emacs) and the window frame
appeared but the contents were never refreshed.  Emacs was running OK,
though, it wasn't hung.  I tried moving the window, iconify/deiconify,
redraw, etc. and nothing fixed it; I had to restart fvwm2 to see the
contents.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:03:23 +0100

> default.  This persists until I restart fvwm2.

This sounds like quite a nasty bug, can you fix it?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:17:41 -0400

> default.  This persists until I restart fvwm2.

I got the same effect from FvwmEvent.
It seemed too weird to be a bug.