Subject: Re: FVWM: drag'n drop

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:29:56 -0700

Previously...
>%% Richard Lister <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>  >> http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/xdnd/
>
>  >> They do list icewm and Window Maker as "window managers that use
>  >> XDND", but it's not entirely clear to me what that means.  I can
>  >> see modules like FvwmButtons and FvwmWinList making use of it,
>  >> certainly.
>
>  rl> I think with windowmaker it means you can have active apps in the
>  rl> 'dock' (wm's buttons/toolbar), whereby dropping an object (file,
>  rl> url, text, etc) on the app will trigger an appropriate action.
>
>Yep... and FVWM's equivalent to the dock is FvwmButtons, thus my comment
>above :)
>
>IOW, I can't think of anything the _core_ FVWM app would do with D&D,
>but I can think of things that some of the _modules_ could do,
>certainly.
>
>I think it would be _'WAY_ cool if FvwmButtons supported D&D... I'd have
>to look more closely at the protocol, though, to see how the FvwmButtons
>configuration language would need to be extended to support it; I guess
>you'd want to define new kinds of actions for the different types of
>things that could be dropped on a button.

Another candidate for Xdnd support would be FvwmPager. And IconMan and
IconList. Actually, Pager support for Xdnd would be really neat. You
could D&D (anyone thinking of the game from TSR? :) to any window you
have open, anywhere. Kinda useful, perhaps?
-- 
[email-masked]
"Bart Bucks" are not legal tender
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:36:28 -0600

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 11:29:56AM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
> could D&D

> (anyone thinking of the game from TSR? :)

Yep :) That's why I spelled it in lower case. Reminds me too much of this
strange role playing game. I prefer my own rules.

> to any window you

Nice idea.

Bye

Dominik ^_^
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 14:58:01 -0400

%% Michael Han <[email-masked]> writes:

  mh> Another candidate for Xdnd support would be FvwmPager. And IconMan
  mh> and IconList. Actually, Pager support for Xdnd would be really
  mh> neat. You could D&D (anyone thinking of the game from TSR? :) to
  mh> any window you have open, anywhere. Kinda useful, perhaps?

Hmm.  What you're talking about here isn't really D&D support per se,
but some kind of D&D "redirection" where the Pager would forward D&D
protocol requests to the window you dropped on.

That could be cool, I suppose, but we'd have to check the protocol to
see how possible it is :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:07:24 -0700

Previously...
>see how possible it is :).

Yeah, I spotted XdndProxy, which seems to be exactly the thing for all
the potential applications that I've seen mentioned so far, for Xdnd
support in FVWM (well, at least its modules).
-- 
[email-masked]
The boys room is not a water park
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:14:24 -0400

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:29:56 -0700
Michael Han <[email-masked]> 
> >things that could be dropped on a button.

Looks like the AfterStep Wharf supports Xdnd too. This is from the
Wharf docs at http://www.afterstep.org/man/stable/Wharf.html:

  Wharf supports the OffiX Drag and Drop standard. The following is
  an example of a DropExec line: 

  *Wharf trash Recyler.xpm DropExec "" rm %s
  *Wharf trash - Restart "" afterstep

  The button will restart AfterStep when pushed. If a file is dragged onto
  into it, rm will be called with %s being replaced by the dropped filename. 

I'm sure it would be beneficial to glance at the AfterStep code, seeing
as AfterStep orignally span off from fvwm.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Ke Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:56:10 -0500 (CDT)

>as AfterStep orignally span off from fvwm.

FvwmWharf module in the curren fvwm2 already has D&D skeleton in there already,
though, I think it is disable. Maybe someone can look into enabling it by a
configure option. It seems that the parsing, and button setup code is in there
already. Not sure why the author did enable it before? Just search for
ENABLE_DND. btw, it does seem to be an old version of Offix XDND protocol,
though.

On a side note, there was some sort of synchronization between Afterstep wharf
and our wharf. Why did it stop?

>Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/

-- Ke Huang
------------------------------------------
e-mail:  [email-masked]  (preferred)
         [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 15:56:18 -0400

mh> Yeah, I spotted XdndProxy, which seems to be exactly the thing for
  mh> all the potential applications that I've seen mentioned so far,
  mh> for Xdnd support in FVWM (well, at least its modules).

Hmm.  Well, I guess I can see usefulness in having FvwmButtons, for
example, support D&D directly.  Maybe you want to program a button that
does one thing if you drop a file on it, another thing if you drop
some random text on it, and yet another thing if you drop a GIF on it.
Or something like that :).

I've spent about 4 minutes thinking about this so maybe there's a
better way to do this (maybe have a button that just invokes a
general-purpose "drop handling tool", then just have FvwmButtons
redirect D&D requests to that?)

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:52:24 -0400

Ke Huang <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> On a side note, there was some sort of synchronization between Afterstep
> wharf and our wharf. Why did it stop?

I recently mined AfterStep for its Icon Animation.

Since I try to never touch rodents, I'm not the one for this DND stuff.

All it takes is someone with the interest...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]