Subject: border drawing slow with rxvt and bagground xpm

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:57:41 -0600

I use rxvt's with a background pixmaps for most of my applications.
When I switch pages this happes:

  1) The window borders are drawn without any decorations, titles, ...
  2) The background pixmap of the rxvt is drawn.
  3) The missing parts of the window borders are drawn.

There is a noticeable delay between 1 and 3, even on a fast machine.
I wonder if there is anything we can do to get the window borders
drawn completely before X draws the background pixmap.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 13:55:21 +0100

Dominik Vogt wrote:

> drawn completely before X draws the background pixmap.

You could configure your X-server to have backing store on always (not
just when mapped) if you have lots of memory to spare, but as a
developer I don't think you should because you would miss out on
expose-event testing.

For fvwm to do anything about this would require the border drawing to
happen in the frame's background pixmap.  Which would have to be the
same size as the window (i.e several Mbytes) rather than the size of the
border tile (probably small).

I don't think fvwm can control the order in which the server maps
windows and we can't keep the client unmapped until the frame
expose-event has been done because it may not arrive at all (if the user
has backing store turned on).

Cheers,
Tim.