Subject: New icon code doesn't work on mixed-visual depth displays

From: Greg Onufer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:49:28 -0700

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: SunOS x-files 5.8 exodus-1999/06/10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS: -O3 -mv8 -mtune=ultrasparc
prefix: /pkg/X11
sysconfdir: /pkg/X11/etc
libexecdir: /pkg/X11/libexec

FVWM Version: 2.3.4
FVWM_CONFIGDIR: unset
FVWM_MODULEDIR: unset
FVWM_USERHOME: unset

Description:

  Xemacs, which chooses a non-default TrueColor visual, no longer has an
  icon with the current state of fvwm in the CVS tree.  Only the text
  label of the icon shows up.  The default visual is 8-bit pseudocolor,
  the app runs with Truecolor.  Netscape's icon is also broken but at
  least displays (netscape also automatically chooses a TrueColor
  visual).  The transparent part isn't transparent, it just draws as
  black.

Repeat-By:
  Start fvwm, start xemacs 21.2b15, iconify it, examine missing
  icon
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:57:23 +0100

>   Start fvwm, start xemacs 21.2b15, iconify it, examine missing

I haven't got xemacs 21.2b15 but xemacs 21.0 works fine.  It doesn't
provide an icon pixmap but an icon bitmap,  I tried to get xemacs to use
a truecolor visual but it refused with the error message:

Invalid Depth specification in TrueColor... ignoring...

(I ran it with xemacs -visual TrueColor, I have an 8 bit Pseudo default
and just one other visual: a 24 bit TrueColor). What depth is your
Truecolor visual?  If xemacs works with any other window manager is the
icon in color or monochrome?

I made some changes to the icon code on the 10th June 1999, is your
version of fvwm before or after this date?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:06:19 +0200

> provide an icon pixmap but an icon bitmap,  I tried to get xemacs to use

There is no way an application can provide an icon pixmap, short of 
providing an icon window and do the drawing itself. The ICCCM only
supports bitmap icons.

It may be true that fvwm wouldn't choke on a pixmap instead of a bitmap,
but from an ICCCM point of view, apps relying on that are broken.

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:59:28 +0100

> providing an icon window and do the drawing itself. The ICCCM only

They can do it but the pixmap has to use the default visual and colormap
since there is no way of querying a pixmap to find the visual it uses
(you can't do XGetWindowAttributes on it, all you can do is
XGetGeometry).

Netscape does it fine even when the root is PseudoColor and Netscape
uses an TrueColor.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:12:02 +0200

> (you can't do XGetWindowAttributes on it, all you can do is

Of course they can do it ... and hope that the wm is as clever as fvwm
in dealing with this. I just wanted to make clear that the description
of WM_HINTS in the ICCCM says: (putting on my ICCCM hat again)

The icon_pixmap field may specify a pixmap to be used as an icon. The
pixmap should be: 

* One of the sizes specified in WM_ICON_SIZE...

* 1-bit deep... 

Later on I find: 

Clients that need more capabilities from the icons than a simple 
two-color bitmap should use icon windows.