Subject: For the collective ego

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jun 1999 20:59:40 -0500

>From Linus' Q&A session at USENIX:

What Desktop do you Use 

I can feel the flames coming... My current desktop is fvwm2 which is like
saying "Okay, I have the horsepower to run something better because I have
machines that most hackers have wet dreams about." But I still just decided
that fvwm2 is what I need and I subscribe to the tenant that small really
is beautiful. I've seen some of the enlightenment demos and I like the fact
that when you move Windows around you can kind of see transparent Windows
moving. When I saw that for the first time, I was drooling. Basically I
don't really care about that kind of desktop issues. I can select my own
background color and that's just about the control I need personally
frankly and I refuse to use the really old Window manager.

fvwm2 was the first one that made me happy and then after that I stopped
bothering to even search for better things. So in that sense I'm not so
interested in kind of the desktop as you see it on the screen because my
needs are not that high. I think that is where most of the really
interesting work is going to happen. Not the Window manager per se but the
desktop applications, the desktop use, and the desktop is interesting in
that it's the only use of computer that isn't specialized. Supercomputers
are basically always used for one thing.  The same is true of the embedded
space, so above and below you have specialized use. And the desktop is
interesting exactly because the use is so varied and that makes it much
more interesting to me as a kernel person because I get [unbelievable]
problem reports from the embedded space. So above and below you have
specialized use and the desktop is interesting exactly because the use is
so varied and that makes it much more interesting to me as a kernel
person. I get problem reports you wouldn't believe and that would never
ever be a problem on a super computer or on an embedded device. So that's
why I'm interested in the desktop because of the kind of user space issues
that people keep pestering me about and that doesn't mean that I'm
interested in the Window manager personally.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]