Subject: ImagePath

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:53:01 -0600

I have a question about ImagePath or IconPath or PixmapPath.

If I have two of more dirs defined to look in but have two or more
pixmaps with the same name will fvwm just take the first one it finds
with that name via the first path defined or will it just wig out and
start picking them at random?

Also is there a way to add/remove dirs from the path without having to
define a 'base' dir every time?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:25:40 -0400 (EDT)

> I have a question about ImagePath or IconPath or PixmapPath.

If you have a recent fvwm that supports ImagePath, then just use it and
forget about Icon/PixmapPath.
 
> start picking them at random?

It should pick the first found.
 
> define a 'base' dir every time?

You can easily add dirs (to the end or beginning of the path).  A '+'
token is expanded to the previous path, so you can say

	ImagePath   first/dir:+:/last/dir

for example.  There is no way to remove dirs.

If you find the manpage confusing on this issue, clarifying suggestions
are welcome!
 
--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Don't play cards with the Devil.  He'll deal you an awful hand.

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:03:19 -0600

> for example.  There is no way to remove dirs.

Yeah I knew about just using ImagePath rather then Icon and Pixmap path just
wanted to see if there was different options for them or something.  Well
thanks that is very helpfull.  Well then is it possible to do something like
PATH=/dir/somewhere, ImagePath $PATH:/newpath/, and then change it with
ImagePath $PATH:/othernewpath.  Basicly is there a way to store varibles
somewhere in .fvwm2rc?  If not I think this would be a very usful feature,
esp. for themes setup and the like.  Or even perhaps a PipeRead might work.
+ I PipeRead cat somefile | echo ImagePath +:/NewPath or something, I know
that won't work like that, what kind of syntax would work here if at all?

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:59:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Jason Kibblewhite wrote:

> Well then is it possible to do something like

I've never done anything remotely so complicated, but it seems to me that
"PipeRead set-image-path", where `set-image-path' is a script that spits
out "ImagePath ..." is the way to go.

If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die.

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:28:59 -0600

> out "ImagePath ..." is the way to go.

I've picked going the FvwmScript route.  As it's a joke to set this up
since I can store variables in the script from a cat grep of the
.fvwm2rc file which is basicly what I wanted to do from the start.  And
since I'm also doing a bunch of other things that require Func commands
upwards of 20 lines I figured I'd just move everything I wanted to
FvwmScript instead. 

However I do have more questions.  Say I was playing around with
FvwmConsole making decor changes and such.  Now I like the way it looks
but I can't remember half the stuff I put in there to make it look the
way it is and I've done the trial and error route so looking through the
buffer of what I've typed is of little help.  So is there away to have
fvwm2 do something like dump all the settings it has in memory to a
file?  Or even for a module such as FvwmScript to ask it what the
current settings are for say button 1?  I am assuming the frame work is
in place for a module to find out this info, just not sure if any of
them can do it, maybe FvwmEvent it seems pretty versatile
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]