Subject: rpm packages?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:01:34 +0200

Didn't we hack up a script somewhere to make rpm packages from
the tarballs? Jason, can you remember what the status of this was?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Jun 1999 18:13:52 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Didn't we hack up a script somewhere to make rpm packages from the
DV> tarballs?

Given a spec file, I can make an RPM.  I suppose I could take the spec from
the current RedHat packages.  I've actually made my own RPMs since the last
time this was discussed, so I understand what is involved a bit more now.

(As an aside, I'm being sorely tempted by Debian after my RPM experience.)

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 08 Jun 1999 20:21:30 -0400

%% Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:

  jlt> (As an aside, I'm being sorely tempted by Debian after my RPM
  jlt> experience.)

Coooooooome to the light! :)

Actually, I quite like RedHat a lot, and I'm not sure Debian's package
stuff is any more straightforward than RPM from a development
standpoint, but I switched from RH 5.2 to Debian 2.0 when I got my new
system in January, and it would take a _lot_ to convince me to move
back.

Initial install may be slightly simpler for the newbie with RedHat, but
ongoing system maintenance/package upgrade with Debian is _light_years_
more simple than RedHat.  Want the newest version of a package?

  # apt-get update
  # apt-get install <package>

That's _it_.  I don't have to know anything about ftp site directory
hierarchies, etc. etc.  Want to update to all the latest packages you
have (obviously, taking into account (possibly conflicting) dependency
issues, etc.)  What to upgrade to _all_ the latest packages?

  # apt-get update
  # apt-get upgrade

Done.  That's how I went from Debian 2.0 to 2.1.  Flawless.  And,
although the default Debian sites might not contain stuff like Qt and
KDE, there are alternate sites you just add to your site list, then you
can use the above commands to get these packages, too, without doing
anything special.

RedHat could do this too, and I hope they do.  But until then... Debian
for me.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:10:51 -0700

Previously...

>From Julian I might've expected this ;)

>system in January, and it would take a _lot_ to convince me to move

I tried 2.0 many months back and was well on my way to really liking
it a lot better than RedHat, when I fscked things up rather badly. Now
I'm stuck back in my RH4 installation waiting to find the time to do
the big migration again.

The one thing I think .deb's got over .rpm is that .deb allows for
post-installation configuration, which .rpm doesn't seem to do, based
on the skim I made of _Maximum_RPM_. I've also never seen it happen,
so...

Anyway, I think it's come up before, but I think it'd be nice if we
(fvwm-workers) included .spec for making RPMs and whatever it was that
was used to build .deb's. Julian seems a likely candidate for
maintaining the Debian file...
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not defame New Orleans
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]