Subject: How do I get MAKEFLAGS to work?

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:50:24 +0100

I can't get MAKEFLAGS=-j5 to work.  If I cd into a leaf directory and
type 'MAKEFLAGS=-j5 make' it works but from the top of the fvwm src tree
MAKEFLAGS gets lost somehow.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:57:15 -0400

I usually use 
MAKE="make -j 20" make -j 20 
from the root and it works fine, haven't tried MAKEFLAGS though.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:11:44 +0100

> MAKE="make -j 20" make -j 20

Works fine, thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Jun 1999 10:16:19 -0400

%% Regarding How do I get MAKEFLAGS to work?;
%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> I can't get MAKEFLAGS=-j5 to work.  If I cd into a leaf directory
  tp> and type 'MAKEFLAGS=-j5 make' it works but from the top of the
  tp> fvwm src tree MAKEFLAGS gets lost somehow.

Yes, that won't work.  When GNU make starts up it reads MAKEFLAGS and
parses them just as if they were normal flags--and applies the same
rules to them as to normal flags before putting them back into the
MAKEFLAGS variable for the submake.

Note the next version of GNU make shouldn't require this hack; it has a
new feature where the make and all it's submakes communicate to ensure
that only X subprocesses are running at the same time--so make doesn't
replace -jN with -j1 for submakes anymore.

Seems to work, and it's really quite lightweight--just like fvwm, it
uses simple pipes.  Gotta love UNIX :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]