Subject: New 'TAB in menu labels' behavior breaks existing menus

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:42:25 +0300 (IDT)

Until now TAB in menu labels delimited two columns, each one left-aligned
(the usual behavior). With the recent changes the second of these columns
is right-aligned (the new behavior). This breaks existing menus, they are
readable, but not nice. See, for example, menus from .fvwm2rc-wm-icons or
a menu produced by BuildXLockMenu; they were designed for the usual
behavior.

I know, the new man page says it must behave as it is with the recent
changes, but the initial intension was to implement the usual behavior.
So, the right thing was to fix the man page, not the code. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From the man page of fvwm 1.4 (implemented usual behavior):

              Note  that  if  a  tab character is embedded in the
              caption of a menu entry then the text following the
              tab  will  be  entered  into a second column in the
              menu and the entire  menu  will  be  left-adjusted.

>From the man page of fvwm 2.2 (unimplemented but documented new behavior):

              All text up to the first TAB in the menu  label  is
              aligned  to  the  left  side  of the menu, all text
              right of the first TAB  is  aligned  to  the  right
              side. All other TABs are replaced by spaces.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I think that the new behavior can be useful for someone, but it must
be an addition, not a replacement for the usual one.

My propose is this. A single TAB delimites a second column to be
left-aligned as it was always (fvwm 1.4, fvwm 2.0 upto 2.3.1) and double
TAB makes a second column to be right-aligned (new behavior). I hope it is
acceptable for everyone. The man page must be changed accordingly.

Regards,
Mikhael.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]