Subject: Re: Notification: incoming/332

From: Amir Chossrow Akhavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 03:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

Paul D. Smith wrote:
> I'm also using GNOME and the GNOME panel (just trying it out...); I
> wonder if it's related to that?  Maybe it only happens if you
> --enable-gnome?

Even with fvwm2 running from within a GNOME-session 
and using the GNOME-panel, 
with the latest CVS (May 13) I can NOT reproduce any crashes.

Seems to be something more subtle.

Amir

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 May 1999 11:17:45 -0400

%% Amir Chossrow Akhavan <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> wonder if it's related to that?  Maybe it only happens if you

  aca> Even with fvwm2 running from within a GNOME-session and using the
  aca> GNOME-panel, with the latest CVS (May 13) I can NOT reproduce any
  aca> crashes.

  aca> Seems to be something more subtle.

No, Matthias fixed it the same day I posted my message.  That's why you
can't reproduce it :)

I've really been having problems with GNOME.  I thought I'd try it out,
but I just can't get it working.  I'm using Debian and just upgrading to
whatever the latest Debian GNOME packages are, via apt-get.

I have these problems:

  * I hate session management.  How can I turn it off?  I'm so used to
    having a fixed set of apps running every time I login; I don't like
    having lots of stuff from my previous session popped up for me.

  * The panel is giving me fits.  It keeps dying (now I can't even get
    it to come up).  First, I tried to add a pager panel and that kept
    disappearing on me... the panel stays but the pager part just goes
    away.

    Next I tried to swallow the FvwmPager module; since it's a module
    you obviously have to start it from fvwm so I didn't fill in the
    part of the dialogue for what to spawn, I just put FvwmPager in the
    name.  But it never captured the pager, it just left an empty box on
    the panel.  Then, while I was playing the entire panel disappeared
    and now it won't ever come back!  I tried logging out and back in,
    but it still never came back.

    It's really annoying how there are no man pages or much other
    documentation, and I can't find the config options I want in the
    control panels.

  * GNOME takes about 30 seconds to start; it must be trying to resolve
    a hostname or something and waiting for the hostname lookup to
    timeout.  I didn't spend to much time on this one.

Also, I can't find any core files or any logs!  I usually redirect all
the X output to a file, but no output from any GNOME apps shows up
there, like when the panel disappears or doesn't start.  Where are the
errors logged?

Someone should probably add some notes to the FAQ about how to set up
fvwm with GNOME; like how to swallow modules, how to turn off icons if
you want to use the GNOME iconbox, etc.

For now I've just gone back to vanilla fvwm.  I'd really like to try to
get this working, but if I can't even find the silly error messages I
figure I don't have much of a shot without a _lot_ of digging.  If
someone can point me towards some more comprehensive "techhie" docs I'll
take another whack at it.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 22:01:42 +0200

>     having lots of stuff from my previous session popped up for me.

You could just save the session with all your favourite apps once and
then leave the "Save config" check box unchecked when you log out. That
should bring up the desktop in your preferred state whenever you log
in.

>     disappearing on me... the panel stays but the pager part just goes

The Gnome pager refuses to run when it doesn't detect a Gnome-compliant
wm. This problem could also happen if you do start a G-compliant wm,
but the pager gets up before the wm (Gnome hasn an extension to the
SM protocol to let apps set startup priorities, and I have recently
added that to our sm implementation to make sure that fvwm comes
up before the panel and applets.
 
>     the panel.  Then, while I was playing the entire panel disappeared

The swallowing works like with FvwmButtons (I think, haven't really played
with FvwmButtons for a long time): It swallows the next window being mapped
with a matching name. Thus it won't swallow a pre-existing FvwmPager.
I always wonder why there isn't the option to simply select an app
to be swallowed with the mouse.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 22:10:36 +0200

> with a matching name. Thus it won't swallow a pre-existing FvwmPager.

The gnome panel can steal the FvwmPager from inside FvwmButtons.. (been
there, done that)

> to be swallowed with the mouse.

Because noone has coded it? 8)

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 03:18:30 +0300 (IDT)

On 14 May 1999, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> I have these problems:
> 
>      ... Then, while I was playing the entire panel disappeared

Looks like bugs in the panel. Try renaming ~/.gnome/panel.d and then start
'panel >&/dev/null &' again. This should return your panel to the default.

Regards,
Mikhael.