Subject: Session management vs. modules

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 23:45:09 +0200

I think somebody asked about the relation of SM support
and the FvwmSave/FvwmSaveDesk modules...

They both are related to session management, but are not quite the same.
They try to write an .xinitrc/.fvwm2rc that captures the current state 
of the desktop.
Thus upon restarting X/fvwm, the same clients are started and their
wm properties are restored as far as they can be specified on the
command line (mostly geometry).

This approach turns the window manager into a kind of el-cheapo session
manager, since it controls what clients are initially started, but it
doesn't support clients restoring their state.

Proper session management via xsm or gsm is much more powerful, but
it may not be available everywhere (XSM is an R6 extension, I think)
and in these situations the two modules could be an alternative.

Something else related to session management is fvwms effort to store
some wm state in properties (WM_DESKTOP) on the clients windows when
restarting. This is no longer needed and should be removed, since
restarting now uses the sm code to save state to a file and restore it
from there.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]