Subject: What happened to WindowListFunc?

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:47:25 -0400

I just noticed that the builtin WindowList no longer works, because
somebody removed the default WindowListFunc that used to be built in
SetRCDefaults. You can no longer warp to a window selected from the
list.

	Was there a good reason for this, or was it just an oversight? The man
page still documents its existence.

	If no one knows a good reason why it shouldn't be there, I'll put it
back this afternoon.

- Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:08:00 -0400

> 	If no one knows a good reason why it shouldn't be there, I'll put it

The WindowListFunc has been in fvwm/ConfigFvwmDefaults for a couple
of weeks.  This file should get installed in sysconfdir and read
by the read command at the end of the table used by SetRCDefaults.

I haven't built today's CVS, but this was working a day or 2 ago.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 12:35:41 -0400

> by the read command at the end of the table used by SetRCDefaults.

	It's there, all right, and that's all very well for the new user. But I
rarely run a make install (not just for FVWM, but for a great many
programs) unless it's a brand new install on a new machine. 

	It seems to me that, for any function for which there's a hard-coded
call in the FVWM code, SetRCDefaults should build a minimal, default
function. (I suppose for consistency that would have to apply to the
InitFunction and RestartFunction, too, as well as the UrgencyFunc and
UrgencyDoneFunc.)

	I'm sure this issue was debated to death already, but I wasn't
following those threads too closely. I'll have to think about this one a
bit before commenting further (or just quietly acquiescing).

- Bob

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 13:20:51 -0400

> bit before commenting further (or just quietly acquiescing).

Sounds like you remember the discussions that got us to this point.

I think I should explain why I didn't put the entire table back into
fvwm.c.

When I started this, I had in mind adding a whole lot of stuff to this
file,  maybe hundreds of lines.   I didn't think that  would be such a
good idea  while the table  was in fvwm.c.  So  far, I haven't come up
with the hundreds of lines, and I'm less sure that we ever will.

The things that I think COULD go in this file:

Binding more keys, for example, "SunFront" to "Raise", "SunOpen" to
"Iconify".  Root keybindings for the arrow keys, PageUp, etc.

The Module menu from ConfigFvwmSetup, and perhaps some other menus.

Styles for common applications and fvwm modules.

A read command for "ConfigFvwmSiteDefaults".

A "Warp" function.

This is  all to make fvwm2 easier  to  configure.  Right now,  I'm not
sure everyone  would appreciate a  whole  bunch of things  builtin  to
fvwm2, especially if they are very choosy, and want it done just so.

So right now, I'm of two minds on  this table.  With its current small
size, its not buying  us much.  (Maybe  a few  hundred bytes  of image
size).

On the other hand, running "make install" once in a while couldn't hurt
much either.  :-)