Subject: menu X error message

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:57:42 -0400

I didn't see this reproted so:

I get the following in my console every time I move the cursor from a 
submenu back to its parent or if I select a menu item on a submenu, but not if I select one from a parent menu.

[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 54, Error 4, EventType: 14
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:51:07 +0200

> [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 54, Error 4, EventType: 14

Could you post the complete menu and menu style definitions?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 08:09:53 -0400

> Could you post the complete menu and menu style definitions?

Ask and you shall receive.

Just so you know I have noticed that if I popup a menu (using popup or
menu) the parent menu is fine then I popup a submenu and it looks fine
until I actually move my mouse onto the submenu.  When I move the mouse
over the submenu it looses its gradient (but no error message).  Then
if I move the mouse back again to the parent the gradient returns to
the submenu, and I get tehe message, I aloso jsut noticed that it looks
like the submenu is getting lowere behind the parent when this message
happens. If I then move back to the submenu I the gradient doesn't
disapppear but there is noticable flicker, and it gets raised above the
parent.  Now on the first time in a submenu or any subsequent I also
get the same error if I select a menu item.  But I get no message if I
select something on the parent.

Well here is my config let me know if you need more.

The problem can easilly be seen with any of the submenus

MenuStyle * mwm, \
    Foreground gray90, \
    Background #515178, \
    Greyed gray40, \
    ActiveFore Black, Hilight3DOff, \
    Animation, \
    Font -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-120-*-75-p-*-iso8859-1
MenuStyle * MenuFace HGradient 128 #515178 #606078 

Mouse 1    R       A       Popup Utilities Nop

AddToMenu Utilities     "Main"  Title
+       "XTerms"                   Popup XTerms
+       "Pitcairn"                 Popup Pitcairn
+       "Venice"                   Exec XRSH -l venice jojo rxvt -pixmap blue_roc.xpm &
ifelse(PLANES, 8, {
+       "Netscape"                 Exec /usr/local/bin/netscape -install -no-about-splash -
geometry 970x803 &
}, {
+       "Netscape"                 Exec /usr/local/bin/netscape -no-about-splash -geometry
970x803 &
})      
+       "NT"%mini.windows.xpm%     Exec HOME/scripts/nt &
+       "Wabi"                     Exec /usr/local/SUNWwclt/bin/rwabi &
+       ""                         Nop
+       "Tools"                    Popup Tools
+       "&Modules"                 Popup Module-Popup
+       ""                         Nop
+       "Refresh Screen"           Refresh
+       "Restart MYVERSION"        CleanRestart /home/bgiaccio/MYVERSION/bin/fvwm2
+       "Reset X defaults"         Exec xrdb -load HOME/.Xdefaults
+       ""                         Nop
+       "&Exit Fvwm"               Popup Quit-Verify

DestroyMenu XTerms
AddToMenu XTerms "Sizes" Title
+       "65" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x65 &
+       "60" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80X60 &
+       "42" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x42 &
+       "31" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x31 &
+       "24" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x24 &
+       "21" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x21 &
+       "15" Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x15 &
+       "7"  Exec XTERM_TITLE HOSTNAME -geometry 80x7  &

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 11:49:55 -0400

> > Could you post the complete menu and menu style definitions?

	I'm seeing the same thing (with FVWM style menus), so here's a bit of
additional info.

	I only get the error when I'm using gradient menu styles.

	The error does not occur if I navigate the menus using keyboard
shortcuts, only if I use the mouse. Further, it only happens if I enter
the submenu with a mouse movement. It doesn't matter whether I return to
the parent menu with mouse or keyboard, just that I entered the submenu
with the mouse.

	I don't see the other quirks Brad mentioned (losing gradients,
lowering, flickering), using last night's CVS.

	Here's one of my menu styles:

MenuStyle * FVWM, \
  Hilight3DThick, \
  Foreground black, \
  Background Red4, \
  font -adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*
MenuStyle * MenuFace DGradient 128 2 RoyalBlue 50 LightSkyBlue 50
MidnightBlue 

	When I switch to a plain menu style, i.e., specifying

MenuStyle * MenuFace

the error no longer occurs.

- Bob

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:09:01 -0400

> lowering, flickering), using last night's CVS.

I still see the loosing gradients, lowering, flickering with current CVS 
as of right now.

And just to prove I'm not going crazy here is a snap of my menus with
no gradient on the submenu.  Keep in mind I just have the one menustyle
setting.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 19:05:32 -0600

> I still see the loosing gradients, lowering, flickering with current CVS 

Of course you do. I didn't fix anything. I saw most of the symptoms
myself, but didn't find a reproducible way to get them. After the
'recursive menu' work I'm not the least bit surprised about these
problems. I can't promise to look into it this weekend (my mom
pays me a visit) but eventually I'll fix all of them.

> no gradient on the submenu.

Not you are definitely not crazy (well, as far as I can judge it ;-) )
Don't spend too much time hunting phantoms, everything will be fine
soon.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 01:28:12 +0200

Brad Giaccio wrote:
> over the submenu it looses its gradient (but no error message).

I didn't handle gradients properly with the 'recursive menu' rewrite.
The flag that the menu had already painted its background could be
set even though this wasn't true.

Fixed.

> Then  
> the submenu, and I get the message,

The error message occured because I tried to delete a pixmap twice.
Doesn't happen anymore. The strange gradient drawing behaviour was
caused by mouse movement popping up menu copies although a simple
menu would have done. This is fixed too.

> I also just noticed that it looks
> like the submenu is getting lowered behind the parent when this message 
> happens.

Yup, that was to prevent that you still land on a submenu when you hit
'Left' and the sumbenu overlaps the parent menu too far. You shouldn't
notice this anymore. I do it only it the 'Left' hits the wrong menu now.

> If I then move back to the submenu I the gradient doesn't

All fixed (see above).

> 	I only get the error when I'm using gradient menu styles.

Yup, the command causing this belongs to the gradient code.

> the submenu with a mouse movement.

That's the mouse movement problem mentioned above.

> It doesn't matter whether I return to
 
Dito.

> lowering, flickering), using last night's CVS.

That's because you don't use H or V gradients. It doesn't happen with
D and B gradients.

> MenuStyle * MenuFace DGradient 128 2 RoyalBlue 50 LightSkyBlue 50
                       ^^^^^^^^^

Bye

Dominik ^_^