Subject: Re: FVWM: "stuck" on a page with Netscape

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:00:05 +0200

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 12:25:54PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> (I sent this a couple of days ago, but it hasn't popped up on the list
> yet, so I'm resending it.)
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
>   I don't know if this is a fvwm 2.2 issue or a Netscape issue, but I've
> only noticed this problem with Netscape windows.  (Bear with me, I think
> it's an original report...)
> 
>   I run Netscape (actually, just Navigator and Messenger) at 
> 1018x688+0+56, with "BorderWidth 3, HandleWidth 3", essentially expanding
> it to fill the whole screen, minus the 56 pixel row at the top of the
> screen.  (Actually, to get this geometry, I just did a "Maximize 100 100",
> and then resized the top down by 56 pixels.)  From here on out, when I
> mention Netscape windows, I'm referring to just Navigator and Messenger
> windows, since both of these exhibit the problem.  (Others, like Composer,
> might too, but I don't run them.)

What I don't quite understand is: what do you expect to happen when
bumping the mouse against Netscape's borse = the page border. Your
Edge... settings disallow page flipping with the mouse.

> 
>   The problem:  sometimes, if I try to move my mouse pointer into another
> page, I get "blocked" on the edges by the Netscape window.  I just can't
> "push" past the border of the window.  It's not always the same edge -- it
> can be the left, right, or bottom edge (never the top edge, since this
> only occurs for Netscape borders against the edge of the current page).
> When this happens, I see the arrow-pointing-to-the-edge icon, the one you
> get for resizing edges, since the mouse pointer is "stuck" over Netscape's
> border.  This happens maybe once or twice a day, and I'm on the computer a
> lot.  (Or so says my fiancee :-)
> 
>   I run several other programs full-screen in a similar fashion, e.g.
> xterm, xmaple, xemacs, etc. but I haven't seen anything exhibit this
> behavior other than Netscape.  I've found that it's usually pretty easy to
> get around, either by using Ctrl-Arrow keys to switch pages, or to move
> the mouse off of some other edge of the page, return back to the original
> page, and attempt to move the mouse to the desired page again, which seems
> to always cause it to work again.  However, it is pretty annoying.
> 
>   Is this an fvwm issue, or a Netscape issue?  I'll post what I think may
> be relevent config info below.  As always, please contact me if you need 
> more info.
> 
> Thanks,
> -jason
> 
> 
> EdgeScroll 100000 100000
> EdgeResistance 0 10
> EdgeThickness 1
> 
> Style "*" IconBox 30 90 -30 -30, IconFill right top, IconGrid 90 90, \
>   ForeColor wheat, BackColor DarkOrange4, ActivePlacement, DumbPlacement, \
>   NoPPosition, BorderWidth 3, HandleWidth 3, Icon linux-penguin.xpm, \
>   DecorateTransient
> 
> --
> Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.
> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
> 

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: jason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:35:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> I (jason) wrote:

  Not true -- I use the mouse quite frequently to flip pages, and in fact
it is set up to 'wrap around' from the leftmost/topmost page to the
righmost/bottommost page in the same row/column of pages, and vice-versa.
(That was a mouthful.)  I'll try to be more clear as to what I experience:

  What normally happens is this:  I move the mouse pointer from the
Netscape screen toward a page edge, and the mouse pointer rolls right
across the Netscape border, into the next page as expected.  It's just
that every so often the mouse pointer gets 'jinxed' so that no matter how
I slam the mouse pointer into that edge of the page, it completely stops
on top of Netscape's border, and won't allow me to go to the next page.

  Now, this is why I think it is a bug (fvwm or Netscape, I dunno):  If I
run into a situation where I get "stuck" like I described above, I can
solve it by doing the following:  I use the mouse pointer to switch to a
different page than the desired one, move back to the original page, and
*then* use the mouse pointer to go to the desired page.  In this whole
process, the position of the Netscape window on the offending page *has
not changed*, but suddenly I can push the mouse pointer across the same
Netscape border that wouldn't let me across before.

  I thought this might be caused by my tiny EdgeThickness, combined with
thin borders, but I don't know.  It's a pretty arcane problem, and it's
probably not worth spending a lot of effort to track down (assuming it's
an fvwm problem).  I just thought someone might know what could be going
on.  Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

All the best,
-jason

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 15:37:43 -0400

> on.  Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

	This seems to be a Motif problem rather than specifically a Netscape
one. I occasionally experience this with other Motif apps. I have it
happen occasionally with Nedit. The window doesn't have to be maxed out,
it just needs to have the top border jammed up against the top of the
viewport. Also, you need to have been *doing* something with the app in
that window - what, I'm not sure. It hasn't happened often enough that I
wanted to spend a lot of time looking into it. I've also found that
clicking on the title bar (or possibly on the desktop, I can't remember)
will clear the condition. It looks rather like when you cross the menu
bar in your upward movement Motif sometimes puts a stray grab on the
mouse, expecting you to do something that it's interested in, and
doesn't want to let you go any further until you do it.

	Is anyone else familiar with this problem?

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 21:22:40 +0200

> righmost/bottommost page in the same row/column of pages, and vice-versa.

OK, you're right, I mixed up EdgeScroll and EdgeResistance. I thought the
zero parameter to EdgeResistance turned scrolling completely off.

> on.  Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

Most likely a fvwm bug. Let's try to hunt it down:

 1) What happens if you try to flip pages in the 56 pixel gap above the
    Netscape window?
 2) Does the problem persist if you take a new run-up with the mouse?
 3) Can you make an image of the offending border with xmag?
 4) Does it happen at any page boundary (top, bottom, left and right)?
 5) Does it happen at desk boundaries too?
 6) Can you resize the Netscape window over the edge?
 7) When you press a mouse button over the offending border, do you get
    the root menu or can you resize the netscape window (move the pointer
    as far towards the edge as you can).
 8) Does it happen with EdgeThickness 2?
 
> > >   NoPPosition, BorderWidth 3, HandleWidth 3, Icon linux-penguin.xpm, \

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]