Subject: New server. Ideas?

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 1999 15:02:54 -0500

I was finally allowed to take apart an older Beowulf cluster we had running
here and now I can give a nice PentiumPro 200 machine to the project.  I
will slowly begin the process of transferring stuff to it.  This will be
mostly transparent but I may put up at least a test CVS server to test the
speed.  (As you may recall, the lack of speed of the AlphaStation that I
had previously given to the project was noticeable in CVS update speeds.)

The new machine is of course running Linux; this makes lots of other things
much easier than on the old Digital Unix-running machine since I never have
to spend time figuring out how things need to be changed.  So I'd like to
look at possible improvements to the bug tracking system.  It's obvious to
me that Jitterbug sucks hard and another alternative is needed.

The two main contenders seem to be BugZilla and the Debian tracking
system.  They each seem to have pluses and minuses; I find myself tending
towards BugZilla at the moment after trying to report a KDE bug (KDE using
the Debian system).

If there are other services which would be useful I'd be happy to work on
adding them.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 16:26:30 -0400 (EDT)

On 22 May 1999, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> So I'd like to

I know nothing about your leading contenders for a bug tracking
replacement.  But let me throw out two wishes we might consider in our
search: 

1. I do most of my work on FVWM at home, with PPP turned off.  This
greatly lowers my motivation to log in and update the bug-tracking
database. 

I wonder if there are any systems out there that can be administered via
email, or maybe the bug DB can be distributed & updated via CVS?  

2. I sat down today and hacked a "fvwmbug" script & manpage out of BASH's
"bashbug".  Currently my script mails off the bug report to fvwm-workers. 
Would injecting it directly into a bug-tracking database be worthwhile? 

Doing so would require a tracking system that allows bug entries by email. 
I fear that this might increase the likelihood of duplicate bug reports,
since you don't have the ability to easily search the DB for a similar bug
before submitting one.  [How much of a problem this might be depends on
whether people are actually using Jitterbug to search for bug reports
now.]

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

A man came up to me and said, "I'd like to change your mind,
by hitting it with a rock," he said, "though I am not unkind."

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1999 15:49:24 -0500

>>>>> "SR" == Steve Robbins <[email-masked]> writes:

SR> I wonder if there are any systems out there that can be administered
SR> via email, or maybe the bug DB can be distributed & updated via CVS?

I think both are administrable via email and will accept bugs the same
way, but you don't have forms that way so the functionality is generally
lower (or the submitter is required to format the message in a specific
way.  I think that the Debian system is administrated solely by email as well.

SR> Currently my script mails off the bug report to fvwm-workers.  Would
SR> injecting it directly into a bug-tracking database be worthwhile?

When the system is done, sure.

 - J<

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 01:40:41 +0100 (BST)

> replacement.  But let me throw out two wishes we might consider in our

I don't either, but I would be willing to investigate how easy it
would be to modify Debian's bug tracking system to use for FVWM.  (See
http://www.debian.org/Bugs for the system in action.)  I won't have
time until next week at the earliest, but it could be interesting.

> email, or maybe the bug DB can be distributed & updated via CVS?  

The Debian BTS is totally email controlled.

> whether people are actually using Jitterbug to search for bug reports

Debian has a "bug" script which creates the necessary email.  Easy to
hack.

Searching using Jitterbug is a pain.  But if there are duplicate
reports, then they can be "merged" and are thereafter considered the
same report for most purposes.

The problem is likely to be that the Debian BTS is too big and complex
for our needs.

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:55:08 +0100

> If there are other services which would be useful I'd be happy to work on

How about adding a way for the maintainers to kick off a snapshot build
so we can have a really quick turn around time for bug fixes.

Cheers,
Tim.