Subject: Enhancements (FvwmButtons & Paging)

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:29:33 -0700 (XXX)

I have a couple of minor enhancement questions.  

1. Is there anyway to get a Fvwmbuttons button to stay pressed-in to indicate
   a certain feature is on/off.  In other words, is it possible to have all
   the buttons start-off with a non-pressed-in look and change based on
   certain functions embedded into the button.  For example, this used to
   work fine in fvwm-1.24r (the button would in fact look pressed-in)

     in fvwm-1.24r

     *GoodStuff Paging       clamp.xpm       TogglePage

   I was able to recreate the functionality in fvwm-2.x.x (TogglePage was
   retired) by doing this in my .fvwm2rc file

     in fvwm-2.x.x

     AddToMenu MiniScrollMenu
     +       "ON"                    EdgeResistance 500 100
     +       "OFF"                   EdgeResistance 10000 10000

     *FvwmButtons Paging     clamp.xpm       Popup MiniScrollMenu

   But now I don't see the button pressed-in.  Is there anything I could do
   to toggle between a pressed-in look (to indicate OFF for example) and
   non-pressed-in look (to indicate ON)

2. Is there a way to disable the pointer-icon from changing shape from the
   normal "X" to the "->|" when the sides of the screen are reached
   when paging is disabled (via a very high EdgeResistance setting).  In other
   words, when paging is OFF I would like to always see a pointer-icon of "X"
   and when paging is enabled (ON) then it may change at will to the "->|"
   shape when the screen sides are reached.

Are these worthy enhancements to ask for (ie. should they be
entered in the bug-tracker) or are they completely superfluous ?

Thanks for the help

 - Nadim (please cc replies)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 22:40:04 +0200

>    shape when the screen sides are reached.

I recently added support for setting the edge cursors independently of the
rest. Thus what you ask for should already be possible.

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 14:47:46 -0700 (XXX)

On Friday - May.21.1999 [22:40:04 +0200],
 > rest. Thus what you ask for should already be possible.

Thanks for the reply; but what I was getting at is something along the lines
of making fvwm2 smart enough to know that paging will NOT happen and thus not
to modify the cursor to anything else at all.

Please note that I'm guessing that Matthias's "setting edge cursor" could
mean one of two things,

 1. this is what the cursor looks like whenever I am x% (or pixels) away from
    the edge (regardless of paging ability)

-or-

 2. fvwm decides to change my cursor for me due to the fact that I am about
    to change pages (meaning paging is in fact enabled -- ie. ON)

I personally prefer option #2 and thus the question - Is there anyway I can
do that with fvwm today ?  In other words, can I make fvwm recognize that
paging is disabled and not to bother itself with cursor changes.

What I'm asking for is something along the lines of (I've kinda incorporated
Matthias' "edge cursor" changes as well),

  if ( paging_is_enabled & cursor_location_is_near_edge )
    if ( user_defined_edge_cursor )
      change_cursor( cursor_type_defined_by_user )
    else   
      change_cursor( cursor_type_that_is_default ) /* today its "->|" */
  else
    /* do nothing - leave cursor as is */

 - Nadim

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 05:12:44 +0200

>    shape when the screen sides are reached.

You've switched it off the wrong way. If you use this:

  EdgeResistance   250 10
  EdgeScroll       0 0

You won't get the cursors.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:49:00 +0200

>     the edge (regardless of paging ability)

What is happening is that fvwm puts up narrow invisible windows at the
edges of the screen. These have the incriminated cursors attached to them
(and they are user-settable after my patch).  I don't currently know if
fvwm unmaps these pan-frames if paging is disabled. Maybe it should, since
this would satisfy your request.

Matthias

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 19:28:29 -0400

> this would satisfy your request.

You can completely remove the pan frames, disable paging, and
the cursor change at screen edges with:

EdgeThickness 0

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 19:55:15 -0400

Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > Thanks for the reply; but what I was getting at is something along the li
> ne
> > s
> > > of making fvwm2 smart enough to know that paging will NOT happen and thus
>  n
> > ot
> > >  1. this is what the cursor looks like whenever I am x% (or pixels) away 
> fr
> > om

Oops, EdgeThickness (at least in 2.2) is only good at startup.
There was a recent commit from Tim that had the comment that it could
be used at any time, but the man page hasn't changed yet.

Stay tuned for further developments...

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:40:04 +0100

> Stay tuned for further developments...

I forgot to change the man page.  EdgeThickness is usable all the time
from version 2.3.1 onwards. Also 2.3.1 includes smart unmapping of
individual panframes when paging is not going to happen in the relevant
direction (controlled by EdgeScroll).

Cheers,
Tim.