Subject: Enhancement (FvwmPager)

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:41:49 -0700 (XXX)

I've often found this to be annoying.  I define one Desk in my FvwmPager and
I map KP_Add and KP_Subtract to 'Desk 1' and 'Desk -1' respectively.  Now
lets assume I am sitting on my one visible desk in the pager and I 'Desk -1'
and start some type of application in the non-visible desk.  Now if I've
defined that application to skip all the windowlists, I'm in a bind to
know-about-it & find-it (note: I am forgetful and so an hour or so later I
start hunting all around to see where that application ended-up at :-)
It would be _wonderful_ if the pager could indicate (somehow, suggestions
to follow) that there are xterms/applications/windows open on other 
(non-visible) desks.

Now for the "how to indicate that"; I have a couple of suggestion:

 1. Have "<<" or ">>" appear in the title of the pager when new windows are
    detected on non-visible Desks (clicking the "<<" or ">>" will take you to
    that Desk (it doesn't necessarily have to be one desk over, it could be
    multiple desks over (ie. pressing 'Desk -1' multiple times))

-or-

 2. Have a one (or user-definable) pixeled bar appear in the direction that
    the windows reside (left or right) alongside the current pager, clicking
    those bars would result in switching to that (or those) desk(s).

-or-

 3. Have balloons indicate the fact and give you the option to switch to those
    non-visible desks by pressing on the balloon itself.

My vote would be #1 (it's the most intuitive, but something similar would have
to be done for those that don't use title-bars on FvwmPagers)

BTW: I know I can define more desks in my pager, but the enhancement request
     still holds.  Using fvwm-2.2.0

I'm not sure if I explained my request well enough or not, if there are
any questions please let me know.

 - Nadim (please cc replies)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:53:46 -0600

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 10:41:49AM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
> and start some type of application in the non-visible desk.

That sounds as if you will like the 'current desk' mode of the pager.
If you start FvwmPager like this:

  Module FvwmPager * *

You will always see the current desk in the pager. Perhaps this eases
your problem a bit.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]