Subject: Announcing 2.2.1

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 1999 10:28:19 -0500

Steve made 2.2.1 a while ago but unfortunately Houston has had some pretty
terrible storms for the past day and I had been without power until late
last night.

2.2.1 is up on the FTP site; I will announce it this afternoon assuming the
power stays on and nobody has any objections.

The only thing in NEWS is:

* International characters are accepted as input in FvwmForm.

Here's what's in Changelog; perhaps it would be useful to indicate in the
ChangeLog exactly when a release is made, so that the top entry will always
read 

        * Release of x.y.z

for a given release.  This makes it easy to check what has been done
between two releases.

1999-05-10  Steven Michael ROBBINS  <[email-masked]>

        * utils/fvwmrc_convert: fixes by Julian Gilbey; updated to
        cvs version 1.4.

1999-03-17  Steven Michael ROBBINS  <[email-masked]>

        * INSTALL.fvwm: add note about include directories for optional
        libraries. 

1999-03-16  Dominik Vogt  <[email-masked]>

        * fvwm/menus.c (DoMenusOverlap): Use real numbers for the width
        modifier to avoid excessive roundoff.

1999-02-28  Matthias Clasen  <[email-masked]>

        * libs/ModParse.c (GetArgument): fix GetArgument for quoted args.
        (DoPeekArgument): new function needed in GetArgument.
        Use safemalloc instead of malloc ( change copied from
        modules/FvwmEvent/Parse.c ).
        (PeekArgument): now call DoPeekArgument.

        * fvwm/move.c (InteractiveMove): fix behaviour of
        InteractiveMove when called from a context other than a
        ButtonPress or KeyPress.

        * fvwm/builtins.c (WindowShade): fix an off-by-one error
        with shaded FvwmBorder windows.

1999-02-26  Hippo

        * fvwm/builtins.c: Emulate command updates feedback window position.

        * fvwm/virtual.c: EdgeThickness command can be used at any time to alter
        the panframe windows. Panframe windows unmapped when paging to the end
        page and wrapping is disabled.  Panframe windows go right into the corners.

        * fvwm/placement.c: fixed wandering on restart/recapture caused by
        old_bw being ignored.

1999-02-25  Paul D. Smith  <[email-masked]>

        * configure.in: Updated for 2.2.1.
        * NEWS: Updated for 2.2.1.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 13:38:36 -0400

> * International characters are accepted as input in FvwmForm.

I think we need more than that, below is an attempt.

> ChangeLog exactly when a release is made, so that the top entry will always

It would be helpful.  I'm doing diffs instead.

> for a given release.  This makes it easy to check what has been done

Note that for the 2.2.1 source tree there are multiple changelogs:

./ChangeLog
./docs/ChangeLog
./extras/ChangeLog
./icons/ChangeLog
./modules/ChangeLog
./modules/FvwmAnimate/ChangeLog
./modules/FvwmEvent/ChangeLog

I'll try to reword what I see from  fvwmese to userese.  I've included
the original:

	* FvwmTaskBar/ButtonArray.c (ButtonDraw): If we didn't have enough
	room to write _any_ of the title on the button (if there are
	_lots_ of buttons) then we'd get into an infinite loop as
	search_len is not checked to make sure it stays >0.  Make that
	check.  Note we don't test to see if the "..." itself will fit; I
	suspect you could get buttons small enough that the "..." will
	overwrite some of the button.  Oh well, at least it doesn't freeze up.

Fix to FvwmTaskbar so that it won't loop when there are too many buttons.

Fix positioning bug on overlapping menus.

Any symptom?

Symptom?

Symptom?

New "Emulate" command for independent control of the move/resize feedback
window.

        * fvwm/virtual.c: EdgeThickness command can be used at any time to alter
        the panframe windows. Panframe windows unmapped when paging to the end
        page and wrapping is disabled.  Panframe windows go right into the
        corners.

EdgeThickness command can be issued at any time.

Pan frames not created when not needed.

Pan frames reach corners.

Fixed window wandering on restart, recapture.

	* FvwmM4/FvwmM4.c (m4_defs): fix bad interaction between
	-m4-prefix and -m4-[e|s]quotes.  Reported as PR#201 and PR#246.

Fix for Problem reports 201 and 246...
sorry, m4 is a mystery to me.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:52:12 +0200

>         (PeekArgument): now call DoPeekArgument.

I had a (constructed) example using FvwmEvent to show the breakage.
You could dig it out in the mail archives, but I think this should
be covered by a statement like: Misc bugfixes. 

>         InteractiveMove when called from a context other than a

I observed the problem when issuing move commands from a module, 
specifically FvwmGtk. Since that is not in 2.2, I can't offer a symptom.

>         with shaded FvwmBorder windows.

A one-pixel high part of the window is left visible, makeing it eg
possible to pop up xterm menus on shaded xterms and change the font,
causing breakage.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 1999 18:40:21 -0500

OK, I'm confused a bit now.  If NEWS needs to be changed to get this stuff
in it then 2.2.2 needs to be cut because 2.2.1 is already set in stone.

So which is it?

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:16:19 -0400

> in it then 2.2.2 needs to be cut because 2.2.1 is already set in stone.

Beats me.

I was more concerned with the announcement than the content of the NEWS
file.

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:03:57 -0400 (EDT)

> in it then 2.2.2 needs to be cut because 2.2.1 is already set in stone.

I don't believe anything needs to be added to NEWS.  I thought the idea
was that user-visible CHANGES were added to NEWS.  There was one
user-visible change listed there.  The rest of the stuff was bugfixes, and
hence don't appear in NEWS. 

> So which is it?

Neither.  It would be a great idea, though, to include the list of bugs
fixed in the message ANNOUNCING 2.2.1.