Subject: enhancement: geometry relative to desk

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 00:21:46 +0200

----- Forwarded message from "Sullivan N. Beck" <[email-masked]> -----

X-Mailer: exmh version 2.0.2 2/24/98
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FVWM: Feature requests
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:43:24 -0500
From: "Sullivan N. Beck" <[email-masked]>
Precedence: list
X-Majordomo: 1.94.jlt7

2)  I'd really like to see the geometry always be relative to the upper left
hand corner of the desktop... NOT page.  For example, I always have Netscape in
(1,1) page.  In order to have it pop up in the right screen, I have to go back
to the (0,0) page before I can run it, otherwise, it will not appear in the
corect screen.

The StartsOnPage function does this great... except that now, I have to modify
my fvwm2rc file every time I want to add a new X client.  I have to create a
special style for it.  I am willing to do this to get the setup I want... but
it doesn't seem to me that the fvwm2rc file is the correct place to be defining
all my clients.

The ideal solution (which is of course impossible) would be for every X client
to accept a geometry and page.  That won't happen, but being able to specify a
geometry relative to the (0,0) page is the next best thing (IMO).

Perhaps the most important problem is that I like to switch back and forth
between window managers (mainly to test them since I'm in charge of installing
software).  Other virtual window managers tend not to use the page concept
(instead, they're just a screen looking at one portion of the whole very large
screen) so geometries are relative to the upper left corner.  So, using the
-geometry option, I can make a list of clients work in all window manager
(except fvwm... unless I'm in the (0,0) page).  There are ways to get around
this... but none are very elegant.

Anyway, just hoping.  Perhaps a compile time option to specify which behavior
to use?

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]