Subject: Not a Restart bug, a Recapture bug

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 23:38:27 -0400

The problem I mentioned a while back (Re: CVS clasen: Restart fixes)
with Restart's placing windows on the wrong desk actually had nothing to
do with Restart - it's a Recapture bug. I had forgotten that I'd slipped
a function call into my RestartFunction that called a function that does
something like

	Style * UseStyle SomeOldStyle
	Recapture

and the Recapture is the source of the problem.

	There are at least a couple of problems here. I'm in the middle of
fixing them, but that's taken a back seat the last few days due to my
wife's having some surgery (all is well!).

	First, Recapture will sporadically, and apparently randomly, fail to
set styles properly. This is because the new CaptureAllWindows loop
somewhat mixes its metaphors, assuming that the list of "all Root's
chillun" and the FvwnWindow chain are in sync. This won't necessarily be
the case anyway; but it's aggravated by the fact that the
reuse-FvwmWindow change doesn't leave the FvwmWindow struct in the
chain, it just doesn't free and re-allocate it, so each call to
CaptureOneWindow will alter the order of the chain. I think this will
clear up a few "this happens to me" - "Gee, it doesn't happen to me"
type problems.

	Secondly, the capturing of a window's _XA_WM_DESKTOP property somehow
got lost in the shuffle, which causes what I originally thought was a
Restart problem.

	I think in the next few days I can get back to the task of actually
fixing this.

- Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]