Subject: Re: Window Manager Icons 0.2.0

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 13 May 1999 12:33:19 -0400

%% Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

  mg> The new version of wm-icons is out. This is the first beta version.

I'm downloading now; the web page looks nice.  I'm sure I'll have more
comments once I look at the contents :)

One thought; I see a mention of a FAQ in the NEWS; maybe the FAQ could
be linked in the web page as well?

Another thought: looking at the list I see "wm-lock" but nothing for
"screensaver" or similar; is that what wm-lock is?

Also, I see that you have added choice-no and choice-yes; do most apps
grab pixmaps for this stuff dynamically, or are they builtin?  If many
apps do this dynamically I wonder if we shouldn't add more of these
types of things ("dialogue" pixmaps), like "error", "warning",
"information", "danger", etc. etc. (or some subset of that).  As I said,
I don't know how many apps could use these but it would be cool to
change your entire desktop theme, including dialogue box pics, etc., by
switching a word or two in the config (or whatever).

Maybe that's getting too far away from the "wm" in "wm-icons", though :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 01:39:22 +0300 (IDT)

> comments once I look at the contents :)

Good idea. :) Installing it and adding Read .fvwm2rc-wm-icons line to your
.fvwm2rc will also help to have more comments.

> be linked in the web page as well?

I also thought about FAQ.html, but current version of FAQ is not complete
enough to be linked IMHO. I am not a good writer, especially in English.
One guy has suggested working on the web page using 2D or 3D graphics, but
I like pages without graphics at all. So I am not sure about this, except
that a more animated page will attract more artists, probably.

> "screensaver" or similar; is that what wm-lock is?

Sort of. All names can be changed if there are enough people that want
this. I thought whether to have 'wm-' prefix or not for these 4 names
(lock, quit, refresh, restart) and decided these are not applicational
names, all of them refer to wm state and, like names for window
operations, must be prefixed. By this logic your proposed icon name can
be, probably, wm-screensaver, is it?

> "information", "danger", etc. etc. (or some subset of that). As I said,

'choice-no' and 'choice-yes' were supposed to be used in menus or dialog
buttons. So more appropriated names to add to this group are 'choice'
(general), 'choice-cancel' as specified in the candidates section
of doc/icons.lst. 'error', 'warning', 'information' and 'danger' is
another group - info dialog. I am not sure how difficult it is to 
standardize these kinds of things, expecially if they are not directly
wm-specific.

> switching a word or two in the config (or whatever).

All GNOME (or KDE) apps use (can use) the same icons for their dialogs.
wm-icons provides icons to be used with a window manager, not by
applications. It would be interesting, hovewer, if there would be
applications (or wm modules) that use wm-icons as their icons.

> Maybe that's getting too far away from the "wm" in "wm-icons", though :)

It should not be difficult for apllications to use installed wm-icons.
wm-icons-config script provides (at least supposed to) all info about
where icons are installed and applications can use icons via standard
icon set aliases, like 'menu', 'mini', 'norm' for their menus, dialogs
(new aliases 'button', 'dialog'?) or other purposes. The problem is to
find and standardize these issues (and let us not forget about drawing
these icons). So, maybe, sticking only to simple types of window manager
icons, like menu and application (mini/norm) icons, is the right thing
for now.

Regards,
Mikhael.

http://wm-icons.dhs.org/