Subject: GNOME stuff (was: Re: Notification: incoming/332)

From: Amir Chossrow Akhavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 17:32:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

It's kind of off topic, and the other guys have already replied to that, 
but since you asked:

Paul D. Smith wrote:
>  * The panel is giving me fits.  It keeps dying (now I can't even get
>    it to come up).  First, I tried to add a pager panel and that kept
>    disappearing on me... the panel stays but the pager part just goes
>    away.
...
>    Next I tried to swallow the FvwmPager module; since it's a module
>    you obviously have to start it from fvwm so I didn't fill in the
>    part of the dialogue for what to spawn, I just put FvwmPager in the
>    name.  But it never captured the pager, it just left an empty box on
>    the panel.  Then, while I was playing the entire panel disappeared

I had the same problems with Gnome. The longer I use it the more 
"gnome-complience" sounds like a marketing gag to me...

Still, it makes sense to run fvwm2 from within a gnome session 
as opposed to running the panel as an "ordinary" application, because
- at least that's my experience - the applets eat up much more RAM 
(around 3 MB each) if they are not run from within a Gnome session.
For me that would be about 18 MB for that damned panel.
I wonder why that is...

So after I run into unfixable problems with the Gnome session management
etc.
till not even fvwm2 showed up I simply removed all .gnome*/* files and 
started all over again beginning with the panel. 
After the panel looked the way I wanted it (even after a restart of X
etc.), 
I changed permissions to the panel resource files in 
$HOME/.gnome/panel.d/default/* and of course made backups.
Gnome doesn't like that, of course, but I don't give a damn ;)
Now you can still change the panel configuration within a session, 
but it won't save it anymore. 
I know this is really brute force, but Gnome is (still) buggy crap anyway.

The panel does swallow FvwmButtons easily, and I had no luck with my
pager, too.
But then, my Pager (now with pixmap backgrounds) looks too nice to hide
it...
;)

After that I switched to fvwm2 from within Gnome/Enlightenment with
"Window manager is session managed" turned ON.
(I don't know if that's necessary, but it works for me and turning it off
caused 
problems like every startup app running twice).

I turned "Automatically save changes to session" OFF in the "Session
Manager" 
section of the Control center.
Of course, I saved the session once (Panel>Settings>Save Current Session).

Since then I didn't have any problems with "everything running twice" etc.
and my Gnome applets also eat up 3-5 times less RAM. 

But then, I use RedHat and you Debian.

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> The swallowing works like with FvwmButtons (I think, haven't really
played
> with FvwmButtons for a long time): It swallows the next window being
mapped
> with a matching name. Thus it won't swallow a pre-existing FvwmPager.

I'm sorry, I do not understand that. So is there a way of swallowing a
pager
(possibly started after the panel) or not?

just my 2 cents,
Amir

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:46:56 +0200

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 05:32:55PM -0700, Amir Chossrow Akhavan wrote:
> [lots of comments about GNOME]
> 

I have the impression that Linux distributors are still struggling
to get GNOME configured properly. In the latest SuSE Linux the
GNOME packages are simply dumped on the hard disk. You don't even
get a hint how to start it. No man pages either.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]