Subject: can't build without xpm support

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 19:51:02 +0200

The seems to be no configure option to disable xpm support.
I had to edit config.h manually to disable it. Can we hack
something in that allow to explicitly disable XPM support
even if you have the XPM library. That would help a bit
when running compile tests with different options.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 23:55:24 -0400 (EDT)

> The seems to be no configure option to disable xpm support.

Of course there is: --without-xpm-library

Look in INSTALL.fvwm.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

A man came up to me and said, "I'd like to change your mind,
by hitting it with a rock," he said, "though I am not unkind."

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 May 1999 01:10:52 -0400

%% Steve Robbins <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> The seems to be no configure option to disable xpm support.

  sr> Of course there is: --without-xpm-library

  sr> Look in INSTALL.fvwm.

Also, and the first thing I do with any new autoconf'd package:

  $ ./configure --help

tells you all the secrets.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:58:30 +0200

> Of course there is: --without-xpm-library

configure --help doesn't tell me about that.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:12:32 +0200

> tells you all the secrets.

No, it doesn't:

  # ./configure --help | grep -i xpm

  --with-xpm-library=PATH   use xpm library (for coloured or shaped icons)
  --with-xpm-includes=DIR  set directory for xpm headers

  # ./configure --help | grep -i without
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --without-cxx           disable probing for C++ compiler

  # ./configure --help | grep -i without
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as --enable-FEATURE=no)
  --disable-activedown-button    disable ActiveDown button state
  --disable-borderstyle    disable BorderStyle command
  --disable-extended-titlestyle    disable styled title-bars
  --disable-gradient-buttons    disable gradient button style
  --disable-inactive-button    disable Inactive button state
  --disable-mini-icons    disable MiniIcon style option
  --disable-modality    disable modal dialogs for applications
  --disable-multistyle    disable stacked button styles
  --disable-pixmap-buttons    disable pixmap button style
  --disable-shape    disable shape extensions
  --disable-usedecor    disable UseDecor style option
  --disable-vector-buttons    disable vector button style
  --without-cxx           disable probing for C++ compiler
  --disable-gtktest       Do not try to compile and run a test GTK program

Is it my weird thinking or why do believe the name of the package
should be 'xpm' and not 'xpm-library' (This applies to the other
libraries too, I guess).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:43:50 -0400 (EDT)

> configure --help doesn't tell me about that.

You are supposed to infer this ability from the following:

./configure --help 
  ...
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
 ...
  --with-xpm-library=PATH   use xpm library (for coloured or shaped icons)

I'm a member of the Elvis Death Cult.

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:48:12 -0400 (EDT)

> should be 'xpm' and not 'xpm-library' (This applies to the other

It's a debatable point.  I think the original proposal did not have
-library.

The reason it is foo-library and foo-includes is to follow the model of
the X libraries and includes flags:

  --x-includes=DIR        X include files are in DIR
  --x-libraries=DIR       X library files are in DIR

Now you might ask why --with-foo-library, rather than just --foo-library. 
The answer is that the latter is not possible unless you hack autoconf
itself.  The X stuff is built into autoconf itself. 

I'd probably be famous now, if I wasn't such a good waitress.