Subject: Notification: incoming/355

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:36:23 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/355

Message summary for PR#355
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: SGI and Window placement
	Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:36:22 -0500 (CDT)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:21:02 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
>         From: [email-masked]
> 
> When we create a window and place it on the desktop we store the X & Y
> location.
> When we try to re-create the window it is offset by +5 pixel on X and +28
> on Y.
> This is from within a program.  Sorry - can't send the program since it is
> a
> government project.  This does not happen under SGI's standard X Windowing
> System (4dwm).  Ideas on why this is happening?  Thanks!

This looks like your app is not taking into account the window manager
borders and titlebar. Fvwm double reparents the client windows and if
you use FvwmScroll you will have quad-reparented your client. In order
to find your clients absolute coordinates you must traverse back up the
window tree from your client to the root taking into account the offsets
and border widths of all the ancestors. It's not that hard to do
properly, just a ten line loop.  I can't send an example because the
only one I know of is GPL'd.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]