Subject: [Fwd: April 1 CVS]

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 16:11:18 +0100

Subject: Re: April 1 CVS
From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 16:08:10 +0100

Brad Giaccio wrote:
> stderr and stdout go to /dev/console
> the error I get over and over after I kill fvwm is:
> [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
> [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 1, Error 8, EventType: 0

This is a BadMatch error from an XCreateWindow and is probably my
fault.  I've been messing with fvwm to get it to be able to use a
Truecolor visual event though the default is PseudoColor with different
depth. I can't test different depth stuff but I committed some changes
today for all the cases I could find in the sources.  Could you try the
latest one (it will have M_NEW_LOOK defined in module.h)?  If it still
fails it may be the the XCreateWindow attributes have to specify a
border pixmap and background pixmap of None.  I may not have time to
hack them in today and I'm off until next Thursday (if anyone wants to
try look for all the .attributes = CWColormap lines).

This stuff shouldn't be activated unless you #define PICK_TRUECOLOR but
who knows.

I guess the reason for the hang is that you're running an xterm -C and
the xterm is grabbing the console device before creating it's window.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:59:35 -0500

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 04:11:18PM +0100, Tim Phipps wrote:

> > [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error *** Request
> > [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> 1, Error 8, EventType: 0
>
> fault.  I've been messing with fvwm to get it to be able to use
> a Truecolor visual event though the default is PseudoColor with
> different depth. I can't test different depth stuff but I committed
> some changes today for all the cases I could find in the sources.
> Could you try the latest one (it will have M_NEW_LOOK defined in
> module.h)?  If it still fails it may be the the XCreateWindow
> attributes have to specify a border pixmap and background pixmap of
> None.  I may not have time to hack them in today and I'm off until
> next Thursday (if anyone wants to try look for all the .attributes =
> CWColormap lines).
>
> This stuff shouldn't be activated unless you #define PICK_TRUECOLOR
> but who knows.

well I definetlly am not doing anything to define it, and I only see it
being used in fvwm.c.  The current copy of module.h I have does include
M_NEW_LOOK.  And before someone asks I did do a make clean first.

> the xterm is grabbing the console device before creating it's window.

well I already have the xterm -C up and non iconic when I do the start.
[that is startx; start fvwm; use fvwm; exit fvwm; lots of windows
runnning around including xterm -C; start fvwm]

Unfortunatelly I didn't read this thread to closelly, I had about a week
of mails to catch up on and just skimmed it, so I missed what exactlly
you were trying to accomplish here.

In case you are wondering I am running with a 24 bit display, with a
TrueColor visual, using the Solaris 2.5.1 Xsun server, if you need some
help testing this stuff I would be glad to help as always.

Brad
-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:08:50 +0100

> help testing this stuff I would be glad to help as always.

Dominik has fixed the problem with the resize handles, I fixed one with
the border not being drawn today.  To test the non-default visual use
you have to configure your Xserver to have a 8 bit pseudocolor as the
default visual, and compile fvwm.c with -DPICK_TRUECOLOR. After that
fvwm should use a truecolor visual for all the border and title
decorations, menus and the feedback  window. Applications that use the
default visual will have a border that doesn't look right but
applications that use the truecolor visual (netscape -visual TrueColor)
should have a border that looks right when their colormap is switched
in.  If you have a fancy graphics card and server that can display two
colormaps at the same time everything should look peachy.

I've tested this with 8 bit colormaps (honest I did and I didn't see any
BadMatches with the resize handles, very strange) but I'd feel happier
if someone would test it with different depths.

Cheers,
Tim.

PS does anyone know where I can copy some -visual argument parsing
from?  I know xv does it but it's not GPL so I don't want to look at the
source.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 11:22:17 -0400

> from?  I know xv does it but it's not GPL so I don't want to look at the

xscreensaver does something, but I didn't really understand it.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:33:00 -0400

> xscreensaver does something, but I didn't really understand it.

Don't look at the xscreensaver source itself look at one of the smaller
hacks like worm.  Failing that hit ftp.ora.pub and get the example
for vol1 of the x refrences, as I recall their is an example in their
for handling quite a bit of visual stuff.  But I would try some the
xscreensaver hacks first.

Brad