Subject: Pie menus?

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Apr 1999 01:20:54 -0500

I recall a while back some folks going on about pie menus.  I also recall
more recent work on using Gtk for menus.  So check this out:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~0rfelyus/GtkPieMenu/

Perhaps pie menus could come for free if the Gtk menu stuff is done?  I'm
not sure what this pie menu thing is all about, personally, but I've been
using the standard menus since they started sticking mice on computers so
you could say I'm used to them.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Apr 1999 19:41:30 +0200

Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:

  > [...]  I'm not sure what this pie menu thing is all about,
  > personally, [...]

I've used piewm (like tvtwm with pie menus) for a while, and mostly
used pie menus to implement moving around the virtual desktop.  I had
a menu which had `up one page' at 12 o'clock, `right one page' at 3
o'clock, and so on.  Further, there was `go to upper left page' at
half past ten, and so on.  This kinda made it intuitive to drag the
mouse on the root window to change pages (on a 2x2 desktop, if you
haven't guessed yet).  I found it wasn't difficult at all to
discriminate between these eight directions, maybe even more are
possible.

A colleage had a pie menu of host names where each would open an xterm
on that host.  Many hosts...  It seemed to work well for him.

I think the general idea is that people can move the mouse in specific
directions quite accurately whereas distances are not so easy.  Or
something like this.

Though maybe one should implement mouse gestures (strokes?) rather
than pie menus, such that one can do an X to close a window...

OTOH, I haven't used pie menus in five years now, and I haven't missed
them. 

kai
-- 
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:19:45 -0400

>   > [...]  I'm not sure what this pie menu thing is all about,

I haven't tired them out yet but I seem to remember the last scqm
release included them, and they had a couple of pictures on their web
page with a link to the guy who came up with the idea and did seeminglly
way to much research on the subject.

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]