Subject: Re: xterms active icon still broken

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:29:42 -0500

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 11:52:17PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Sorry Matthias, I deleted your reply to my mail, hence
> the new thread.
> 
> Your patch fixed iconify/move/deiconify in general, but
> active icons are still broken. I cant get an active icon
> at all with the current code.
> 

Well Dominik, since I'm the chief complainer about active icons, I'll
chime in here.  What I now get is, working active icons.  Working
meaning I can start up an xterm do something in it that creates
scrolling output, iconify and I see the icon getting updates, in
addition the behavior of moving the icon and the icon shrinking to just
a few pixels no longer occurs, I'm free to move icons as I see fit
without any ill effects.

The only problem that remains, and it is a new one since Saturday, is
that all of my icons no longer have labels.  Well they have a rectangle
under them for a text string it just doesn't have anything in it, and it
doesn't get the 3d effect I usually see.

Brad
-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 07:55:18 -0500

> doesn't get the 3d effect I usually see.

Hmm, and here I thought I was seeing things.  I hesitated to report the
problem since my Netscape icon labels do have visible text.  All the rest
are missing the text.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:55:35 +0200

> at all with the current code.

The problem seems to be that fvwm insists that it is told
about the application supplied icon window in a 'XA_WM_HINTS'
property notify. My xterm doesn't send one and thus the
defined icon is used. But if I define no icon for xterm
it works. xterm must use a different way to tell fvwm
about its icon window.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:28:11 +0200

> doesn't get the 3d effect I usually see.

Fixed, but see other posting about using the ChangeLog.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:15:20 +0200

> a few pixels no longer occurs, I'm free to move icons as I see fit

This hasn't changed. If you have an icon pixmap explicitly defined
for xterm you don't get the active icon:

  Style xterm Icon foo.xpm

> doesn't get the 3d effect I usually see.

Strange. As soon as the icon gets focus the title is deleted.
And the string isn't centered but aligned to the left.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:27:49 -0500

> it works. xterm must use a different way to tell fvwm

Well i didn't think in any of the versions we could have an active icon
plus a regular icon, but then again I never tried having two icons seems
a little silly to me.  If we really want it working I can try and watch
events sent from the xterm and events the fvwm receives from it.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:11:24 +0200

> events sent from the xterm and events the fvwm receives from it.

Well, you can't use xterms with active Icons and xterms without
customised icons but without active icons. Apart from this it is
very confusing.

Bye

Dominik ^_^