Subject: GNOME sticky hint not working (panel)

From: Jay Painter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:30:13 -0700 (PDT)

I tried the latest cvs fvwm yesterday, and noticed that many window hints
are now handled by gsfr (I'm unsure what this is).  The "sticky" hint, as
in sticks to glass, seems to no longer work.  I'm unsure if this is a
problem with stickyness in general with fvwm, or if the order of hints
being set in add_window has changed.

I'm also working on some updates to GNOME support which will remain
isolated in gnome.c.  These have to do with needing to detect if the GNOME
proxy windows already exist, and use them if they do.  Currently,
restarting fvwm results in GNOME functionallity going away.

Regards,
Jay

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jay Painter -- [email-masked] -- [email-masked] -- [email-masked]
http://www.serv.net/~jpaint/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:25:34 -0400

%% Jay Painter <[email-masked]> writes:

  jp> I tried the latest cvs fvwm yesterday, and noticed that many
  jp> window hints are now handled by gsfr (I'm unsure what this is).

GSFR stands for "Great Style Flag Re-write"; basically all the flags for
window styles, etc. used to be stored in a single 32-bit int.  A long,
long time ago we ran out of flags, but still had lots more styles :(
Various hacks like global styles, etc. had to be invented.

So, the GSFR changes the style flags from an int to bitfields, which are
infinitely expandable.

FYI.

Also, note that "gsfr.h", etc. will be renamed to something much less
cryptic When We Get Around To It (definitely before 2.4.0 :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:17:07 -0400 (EDT)

> cryptic When We Get Around To It (definitely before 2.4.0 :).

Why not now?

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:37:16 -0400

> > cryptic When We Get Around To It (definitely before 2.4.0 :).

	I agree...suggestions/votes for the new name?

- Bob

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:05:37 +0200

> 	I agree...suggestions/votes for the new name?

flags.h
styleflags.h

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:56:06 +0200

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:30:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jay Painter <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: list
> X-Majordomo: 1.94.jlt7
> 

Jay, I recently did some Gnome support updates. The reason why
the sticky bit didn't work is that GNOME_GetHints writes directly
in the flags of the FvwmWindow struct and those are later overwritten
in AddWindow (when the flags from the style are copied to the window).
I have changed the logic somewhat by using a new function GNOME_GetStyle
which is used to initialize the style flags with the Gnome hints (you
can find this in style.c)

This seems to be more in sync with the general logic of Fvwm configuration
that user-supplied styles override hints from the program (If your setup
would have worked, the user would not have a way to override gnome hints).

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]