Subject: enhancement: raising icon titles

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 19:26:15 +0200

CDE has a nice feature: Whenever the pointer is over an
icon window CDE raises the icon title window above all
other windows. Is this easy to implement with the current
stacking order code?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:17:59 +0200

> other windows. Is this easy to implement with the current

It doesn't have much to do with the stacking order code.
It can be implemented by adding some 20 lines to DrawIconWindow
(the function which is also responsible for the resizing of
the icon title). I have just committed the change. Do we want
to make this controllable via a style option or global option ?

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 02:52:27 +0200

> to make this controllable via a style option or global option ?

Can't imagine a reason why someone shouldn't like it. It may
be a bit surprising at first, but it is definitely an enhancement
in usability. The wax it was coded before you sometimes had to
raise the icon from the window menu to be able to see the full
title.

------ a while later ------

Ah, there is one thing that should be changed: the title
is raised only when the icon receives the focus and lowered
when it loses focus. This works well only with MouseFocus. With
NeverFocus the title is never raised, with ClickToFocus only when
you click on the icon (it's too late then, but I'll check what CDE
does with ClickToFocus) and with Sloppy focus the title stays raised
above overlapping windows when you leave the icon. Is it difficult to
make it behave like for MouseFocus in all four cases?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:07:36 +0200

> make it behave like for MouseFocus in all four cases?

I guess we have to move the raising/lowering into HandleEnterNotify
and HandleLeaveNotify then. 

Matthias

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:45:48 +0200

> and HandleLeaveNotify then. 

I have done this now. I have also changed the logik of DrawIconWindow
to do the icon title clipping parallel to the raising /lowering, since
it seemed silly to raise a clipped title (would have happended for 
ClickToFocus or NeverFocus with the old logic). 

Matthias

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 02:18:57 +0300 (IDT)

Another enhancement, which is related to the raising icon titles is
loosing a focus and focusing another icon, when a mouse is over another
icon's non-focussed title. It might be an option. This seems to me very
useful, since an icon with a very long title blocks all other icon titles
in a line.

Other possible solution is making icon titles not a part of an icon.
Something like balloons, which are reduced to the icon width in non-active
state and expanded when an icon is focused.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 02:19:44 +0200

> state and expanded when an icon is focused.

??? But icon titles already work this way. The only problem I see is when
you only have icon titles but no icons. When the expanded title overlaps
other titles you may have to move it away to make these visible again.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 02:12:58 +0200

> ClickToFocus or NeverFocus with the old logic). 

Excellent work :-) And I hadn't to lift a finger to get it. Thanks.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:15:55 +0200

> Excellent work :-) And I hadn't to lift a finger to get it. Thanks.

But not perfect. I'd like to get rid of the new style flag again by
splitting the current DrawIconWindow in three functions DrawIcon, EnterIcon
and LeaveIcon (the first would only redraw, the other two would do the
resizing/raising). Then we could directly call {Enter,Leave}Icon in
Handle{Enter,Leave}Notify instead of setting the flag.  

Matthias

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:45:07 +0300 (IDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> ??? But icon titles already work this way.

Yes, but a title is a part of an icon, unlike a balloon.
Ok, balloons are not good for icons, since they require visible icons.

> The only problem I see is when
> other titles you may have to moveit away to make these visible again.

This is a real problem. But even with a visible icon there is an
unexpected behaviour. I have two icons of the same height and SloppyFocus.
    __   __
   |  | |  |
   |  | |  |
   |__| |__|
   titl*titl

My pointer is the star. I _expect_ that by moving my pointer left-right,
two icons get (and loose) focus alternatively. Instead, the first title
overlaps the second title and is not deexpanded until I focus another
window or icon, which is unexpected to me. What if there are no other
windows or icons in the page and the title is too long to be nice.

I think that deexpanding focused title, when the pointer is outside of the
icon box, is a good global or style option, like RestoredIconTitleOutside.
Icon box is defined by the (icon + non-expanded title) rectangle.
Note that the icon remains focused, but with a non-expanded title.

I can fill out the web-based form for this enhancement request, if needed.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:12:23 +0200

> windows or icons in the page and the title is too long to be nice.

With the version in CVS, it should be enough to leave the icon (title and 
image) to deexpand the title. Even if there are no other clients on the
page, there should be enough room to leave the icon title :-)
> Note that the icon remains focused, but with a non-expanded title.

This won't be trival to implement. Right now we deexpand upon the 
LeaveNotify from the icon title. to implement the proposed behaviour,
we would have to add an inputonly window of the unexpanded size or track
pointer motion or ...

Maybe a simpler way to handle this would be to give users a way to suppress 
overly long icon titles, something like Style * IconTitleSizeFactor 2.0 
to indicate that icon titles should never be longer than 2 times the icon 
image size or just a plain IconTitleMaxSize 64 to indicate that icon title 
should expand to 64 pixels but not more. Would that be acceptable ? 

Matthias

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:47:44 +0200

> should expand to 64 pixels but not more. Would that be acceptable ? 

I'd make expanding the title independent from focusing the icon.
Expand it when the pointer is over the icon, collapse it when the
pointer leaves the icon.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Apr 1999 12:01:40 +0200

> other windows. Is this easy to implement with the current

How about bubble help windows like in the pager?  This wouldn't be the
same as CDE but maybe also useful?

kai
-- 
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 16:10:11 -0700

> same as CDE but maybe also useful?

We have a "message-window" feature in Scwm that you guys could use code
from.  It's a generalization of the move/resize window.

Greg