Subject: Re: FvwmBackerDesk -solid color; Gives blank

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 01:59:24 +0200

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 01:02:06PM -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
> Full_Name: Gary Swearingen
> Version: 2.2 & 2.0.46
> CVS_Date: 
> OS: RH 5.2
> X_Server: XF86_SVGA
> Submission from: (NULL) (206.125.79.30)
> 
> 
> I have two desktops and use backgrounds of red and darkblue using lines
> like
> 
> *FvwmBackerDesk 1 Exec xsetroot -solid red
> 
> This works, but is slow when changing desktops with key commands. (For some
> reason
> it is fast when clicking on the pager.) I used to use
> 
> *FvwmBackerDesk 1 -solid red

Finally I found the time to check this, but I don't see your problem.
Is that still an issue? If it is, fetch a snapshot of the current
development source from our web page and try again. If that doesn't
solve the problem I need more information. Are there any error
messages on the console? Are you sure you made no typo? Is the
FvwmBacker module really running (please verify with ps)?

> but this stopped working when I switched to my current motherboard
> (ASUS-97V)
> and X server last summer.  It just makes the background black.

Perhaps you're out of colours and FvwmBacker can't allocate the one
it wants?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary W. Swearingen)
Date: 03 Apr 1999 17:54:01 -0700

> FvwmBacker module really running (please verify with ps)?

I took the effort to download the latest (non-developement?) software
and build it just before reporting the error that I have been
experiencing with older versions since I moved from Red Hat 4.2 to
5.0. (I'm now at 5.2.)  I'm not currently in the mood to do it again.

No hard feelings on either side, I hope.  Maybe I'll try later.

No typos. One line has "Exec xsetroot"; the other doesn't.

My old .fvwm2rc file worked with RH 4.2 and didn't with RH 5.0 is how
I remember it.

The FvwmBacker module is running now at least.

> Perhaps you're out of colours and FvwmBacker can't allocate the one

I don't think that's likely. It works with the "Exec xsetroot".
I'm using 16 bpp and just running Netscape & Emacs. 

Thanks anyway.