Subject: Re: FVWM CVS: fvwm steve

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:14:21 -0400

CVS <[email-masked]> writes:
> CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
> Module name:	fvwm
> Changes by:	steve	99/04/26 12:28:38
> 
> Modified files:
> 	.              : ChangeLog NEWS configure.in 
> 	docs           : BUGS ChangeLog FAQ TODO links.html 
> 	fvwm           : Makefile.am functions.c fvwm.c fvwm.h module.c 
> 	                 read.c 
> 	libs           : Makefile.am ModGraph.c ModGraph.h Parse.c 
> 	                 Strings.c fvwmlib.h 
> 	modules        : ChangeLog 
> 	modules/FvwmForm: FormFvwmSetup.in 

This:

${FVWM_USERHOME}.fvwm2rc

was changed to this:

${FVWM_USERHOME}/.fvwm2rc

but fvwm.c makes sure FVWM_USERHOME always has a trailing slash.

I think double slashes are OK on all platforms,  I just don't see
what the problem was.

> 	modules/FvwmIconBox: FvwmIconBox.h 
> 	modules/FvwmIdent: FvwmIdent.h 
> 	modules/FvwmScroll: FvwmScroll.h 
> 	modules/FvwmTaskBar: Mallocs.h 
> Added files:
> 	fvwm           : read.h 
> 	libs           : Parse.h Strings.h envvar.h 
> 
> Log message:
> Many bugfixes and code cleanup.
> 
> The biggest fix was to restore the ability to read
> FVWM_CONFIGDIR/system.fvwm2rc file, which got lost sometime in the
> past week or two.

Actually,  the  replacement  was to use   the setup  form  to create a
.fvwm2rc file in  the users   home  directory and restart.   The  file
created is a minor update and reorg to the system.fvwm2rc.

If you think we still need the old functionality, I have no objection.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:40:12 -0400 (EDT)

> created is a minor update and reorg to the system.fvwm2rc.

I've just finally gotten the nerve to rename my config and try starting
FVWM bare, to see what the new config stuff does.  It's definitely pretty
cool!  

The idea of chopping up the config file into pieces will hopefully pave
the way for GUI configuration.

> If you think we still need the old functionality, I have no objection.

I do, for two reasons:

#1.  There is no reason for the upgrade to further[1] surprise old users
who have a functioning system.fvwm2rc file.

#2.  I think the chopped-up config could be even more useful if the base
config file remained FVWM_CONFIGDIR/system.fvwm2rc, rather than being
installed as a private .fvwm2rc.  This allows the sysadmin to define stuff
system-wide (like menus for remote login, say).  With the old logic
restored, you can have it *both* ways!  If the sysadmin likes a central
config file, they create system.fvwm2rc; otherwise with your config form,
they can let the users take care of themselves. 

At startup time, FVWM again[2] looks for the first of the following to
source (unless given -f or -cmd on the command line):

	FVWM_USERHOME/.fvwm2rc
	FVWM_CONFIGDIR/system.fvwm2rc
	FVWM_CONFIGDIR/.fvwm2rc

The last is a sop to backwards-compatability.  I don't imagine -- though I
could easily be wrong -- that FVWM_CONFIGDIR/.fvwm2rc was really intended
as the name of the system-wide config file.  It seems just to be an
artefact of the `Read' function searching in two directories. 

Footnotes:

1. In fact, they will be surprised anyway -- see new FAQ #3.13.

2. I changed the ordering of the last two files, to prefer
   FVWM_CONFIGDIR/system.fvwm2rc over FVWM_CONFIGDIR/.fvwm2rc.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Standing on the beach with a gun in my hand
staring at the sea, staring at the sand ...

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:47:32 -0400

> who have a functioning system.fvwm2rc file.

I'm not disagreeing, but I sort of think fvwm2 is next to useless
with our system.fvwm2rc, but if an administrator modifies it sufficiently,
maybe.

> they can let the users take care of themselves. 

One thought  I   had was to  add:   "read SiteDefaults  quiet"  to the
ConfigFvwmDefaults file.   I didn't  think  that  the "system.fvwm2rc"
file was a good candidate for this file.  (In other words, adding
"read system.fvwm2rc quiet" would probably not be a good idea.

> artefact of the `Read' function searching in two directories. 

Wasn't the old logic:

 	HOME/.fvwm2rc
 	FVWM_CONFIGDIR/.fvwm2rc

I think whatever the intent was, it wasn't completely thought out, and
only documented in "INSTALL.fvwm" after the fact.

>    FVWM_CONFIGDIR/system.fvwm2rc over FVWM_CONFIGDIR/.fvwm2rc.

I think this answers my question above, but I thought this was for
compatibility?