Subject: Xlib sequence lost

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:28:47 +0200

Xlib: sequence lost (0x10a99 > 0xaac) in reply type 0x0!

Has anybody an idea why I get these errors when clicking on window buttons;
the buttons don't work. The title area does. 

This is with a recent CVS version.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:02:38 +0200

> the buttons don't work. The title area does. 

At least I know why the buttons didn't work now: It was a Scroll lock 
without IgnoreModifiers gotcha. Still no idea about the Xlib error though.
I didn't happen again after a restart so far.

Matthias

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:47:10 -0400

> I didn't happen again after a restart so far.

I have noticed it as well for about a week, but haven't been able to
determine the cause so I haven't tracked it down yet.  Could it be
something to do with the GC changes??

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:07:07 -0400

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> ... Still no idea about the Xlib error though.

	Hmm...now that you mention it, I've occasionally spotted these in my
console logs lately. I've not noticed them as they were happening, only
some time later, so I don't know what actions they were associated with.

	Ah, scrolling back through my xconsole, I see a couple:

Xlib: sequence lost (0x102f9 > 0x2fb) in reply type 0xc!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x10455 > 0x457) in reply type 0xc!

	There've been a couple of restarts since then, so I'd guess these
happened a couple of days ago.

	I don't think this error is related to your button problem, but I have
no idea what I was doing when these occurred. I don't recall anything
weird happening that might have been related to the errors.

	I'll kill xconsole and start a new one, and try to keep a closer watch
on it. If anyone else has seen this, and knows how to cause it to
happen, please tell.

- Bob

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:07:31 +0100

> something to do with the GC changes??

If you're not running FvwmIdent, FvwmScroll or FvwmAnimate then it won't
be. The changes I did to fvwm went in ages ago and were most changes
from:
XFreeGC();
XCreateGC();
to:
XChangeGC();

Could you do a cvs update -D "various dates" to find out when it
started?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:36:14 -0400

> on it. If anyone else has seen this, and knows how to cause it to

I haven't seen the messages, but if you can run "contool" instead of
"xconsole", its easy to configure "contool" to take a specific action
based on the message content.  (For example, playing a sound file, or
deiconifying when this message occurs.)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:56:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Tim Phipps wrote:

> be.

I'm running only FvwmPager and FvwmButtons, and I see the messages, also.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Speeding motorcycle ... won't you take me ...

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 00:12:34 +0200

I can produce these more or less repeatably by moving and lowering a window

Xlib: sequence lost (0x128ea > 0x28ec) in reply type 0xc!

diffing in xlib source revealed that reply type is Expose
and the error message is produced if the condition

 dpy->request - dpy->last_request_read < 2^16

is violated. Now don't ask me what this means or how we could
cause it. Perhaps we are producing tons of exposes without reading them
off the queue ? 

Btw I also get these error messages for reply type 0x0 (that is: Error)

Matthias