Subject: Notification: incoming/291

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:38:39 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/291

Message summary for PR#291
	From: "Jed S. Baer" <[email-masked]>
	Subject: Bug #155 - Reproducible
	Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:22:14 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:04:24 +0200

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 07:38:39PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> I'm using fvwm2-2.0.46-11 in RH 5.1, XFree86-3.3.2-8. I have the same
> problem I found in your bug tracking web site, under the unreproducible
> section, message number 155.
> 
> The problem is that the buttons on either side of the title bar stop
> responding to mouse clicks. Also, a resize using a mouse binding on the
> window frame corners doesn't work either. This behaviour isn't present
> when fvwm2 first starts, but invariably occurs eventually. Identical
> functions, when invoked from a pop-up menu, work just fine.

The 'invariably occurs eventually' part most likely means that you
pressed the num-lock or scroll-lock key (or some other locking modifier
key except caps-lock). Unfortunately X treats them as ordinary
modifiers. Thus you would have to grab a long list of modifier
combinations if you wanted to ignore all of them for key bindings.
I have tried it and it is *really* slow.

Should this not be the problem in your case, please fetch a recent
snapshot of the sources and try again. We won't spend time debugging
the outdated 2.0.46 anyway. The current official release is 2.2.
In the current development source there is the command
'IgnoreModifiers' that switches off specific modifier keys with
aforementioned drawback. A better solution is to disable the
modifiers with xmodmap. I've done that a few weeks ago and I'm
perfectly happy now. There is a detailed description how to do
this in the latest FAQ.

> I was surprised to see this under "unreproducible", because I found
> another post in one of the linux newsgroups describing the same
> behaviour.

Well, that doesn't help us. If there is a bug the developers have
to reproduce this and if we can't we need some cooperation. In the
end we have the choice to clutter up the 'open bugs' section or to
move bugs to unreproducible some day. I hate to do that, but what
else can we do? I can't spend a week in hunting down elusive problems
that may not even be bugs.

> I can imagine you'd like various information about my system, but would
> rather not guess about that, and clutter things up with uneeded
> attachments, info, etc.

None required for now.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]