Subject: copyrights...

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 17:21:10 +0200

I think our distribution is clean enough now to put it
under an open source license compatible with GPL. The only
module that isn't is FvwmRearrange. So how about it, Andrew,
may we put it under an open source license?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Apr 1999 16:06:57 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> The only module that isn't is FvwmRearrange.

???

/*
 * FvwmRearrange.c -- fvwm module to arrange windows
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Andrew T. Veliath
 *
 * Version 1.0
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 * GNU General Public License for more details.

This change was made on 1999.03.10.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:11:13 +0200

> This change was made on 1999.03.10.

Ah! I didn't notice the commit with that. So, what license will we
adopt in COPYING? Is GPL the way to go?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Apr 1999 11:08:12 -0400

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> Ah! I didn't notice the commit with that. So, what license will we
  dv> adopt in COPYING? Is GPL the way to go?

I think it's the only choice.  We have GPL'd code and so everything must
be released under that license or its functional equivalent.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:51:15 +0200

> be released under that license or its functional equivalent.

Well, then I'll change the COPYING file to reflect this. But
what should we do with individual files? Can we leave them
untouched or should we put a GPL notice in there?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Julian Gilbey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 01:49:43 +0100 (BST)

> untouched or should we put a GPL notice in there?

Seeing as individual files may be used outside of the FVWM project
environment, they really all ought to be labelled with the standard
GPL notice.  To quote from the GPL file:

=========================

	    How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs

  If you develop a new program, and you want it to be of the greatest
possible use to the public, the best way to achieve this is to make it
free software which everyone can redistribute and change under these terms.

  To do so, attach the following notices to the program.  It is safest
to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively
convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least
the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.

    <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
    Copyright (C) 19yy  <name of author>

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

Also add information on how to contact you by electronic and paper mail.

===============================

Hope this helps.  It will add a little bloat, but it's probably worth
it in the long run.

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]