Subject: Do all the man pages using "find" and generate the man page index.

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:07:42 -0400

Jason,

  As I threatened earlier,  I've updated the run_man2html.sh script
to do a better job.

  I was going to commit it to the 2.2.1 branch, but the way its written,
it doesn't need to be there.

  If you take the copy now in 2.3.2 and run it like this:

run_man2html.sh dir_where_2_2_source_is dir_where_you_want_the_html

we should be in good shape.

  This does not handle the NEWS, FAQ, and TODO files, they still
need to be done individually using txt2html.sh.

  By the way,  the subject  lines look  much better with  your  latest
adjustment.  I just have to remember that the  first line of the change
text should be the most descriptive line of the overall change.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 1999 12:35:49 -0500

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> As I threatened earlier, I've updated the run_man2html.sh script to do
DE> a better job.

I see that it just changed; I was just in the process of updating the
script I use to do this; now I don't have to.

Unfortunately this script is broken big time for me; no /bin/find, no
/bin/cut.  And it produces names like FvwmAudio.1.html instead of
FvwmAudio.html.

I'll have time to mess with it in an hour or son.

DE> run_man2html.sh dir_where_2_2_source_is dir_where_you_want_the_html

Hmm.  I didn't realize 'man' would take a path and render the page directly
from that file.  I think this is heavily OS dependent (which is fine with
me, honestly, but it didn't work on the Perl version I use across all of my
platforms).

DE> By the way, the subject lines look much better with your latest
DE> adjustment.

Yes, I think so too.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:49:41 -0400

> I'll have time to mess with it in an hour or son.

OK.

I'm just being compulsive with using full paths.  Are find and cut in
your path?  If so, the fix should be easy.

The "cut" is needed to get the man page names to not include the ".1".

> me, honestly, but it didn't work on the Perl version I use across all of my

No, "man" won't take a full path.  The new script creates /tmp/man/man3
and puts each page it finds there, and exports MANPATH=/tmp/man.
It cleans this up when its done.

I'm not sure what you mean about running this script for every new
release.  Probably we should only run this against non-beta releases,
unless we create "production" and "lastest beta" man pages...

Right now, I assumed we would want to run this for 2.2.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 1999 23:21:53 -0500

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> I'm just being compulsive with using full paths.

I usually am, too.  But then different operating systems like to put things
all over the place, so for portable scripts I end up setting $PATH to the
collection which works on all of the various platforms I have to use.

DE> Are find and cut in your path?  If so, the fix should be easy.

Yes.

DE> The "cut" is needed to get the man page names to not include the ".1".

Hmmm.  I guess I've been using zsh way too long; doing stuff like that is
an expansion:

XYX:epithumia:~> i=blah.1; echo ${i%.1} 
blah

DE> No, "man" won't take a full path.

On Linux it does:

XYX:epithumia:~/fvwm/fvwm> man fvwm2.1
No manual entry for fvwm2.1

XYX:epithumia:~/fvwm/fvwm> man ./fvwm2.1 

FVWM2(2.xx)                                           FVWM2(2.xx)

NAME
       fvwm2 - F(?) Virtual Window Manager (version 2.xx) for X11

DE> I'm not sure what you mean about running this script for every new
DE> release.

Well, every "release" release.  I.e. not testing or beta releases, at least
after 2.2 came out.  Before then I did run it for every beta but now
there's not much point.

 - J<