Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm clasen

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:48:41 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	clasen	99/03/02 12:48:40

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : add_window.c move.c session.c 

Log message:
Fixes to make --disable-windowshade work.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:04:50 +0100

While working on shading/maximizing, it  occurred to me
that I should try to compile with --disable-windowshade
to check that I ifdef'ed all occurrances of WSHADE and
it turned out that there were some unprotected ones. For
now I have just inserted the necessary ifdef's, but I'd
like to question the utility of #ifdef WINDOWSHADE
sprinkled all over the source - what is the rationale for
this ?  disabling it will not save much memory, but the
ifdefs really make the source harder to read. 

And if someone doesn't like shaded windows, he can simply
ignore WindowShade.

I'd vote for removing all #ifdef WINDOWSHADE and the 
--disable-windowshade configure option.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:24:26 -0500

> --disable-windowshade configure option.

We have lots  of those besides WINDOWSHADE.  Probably  as a result  of
using the   the '-D' option to patch,   rather than at the  request of
anyone.

I would guess the only possible advantage to all those ifdefs, is
for someone that decides to turn them ALL off to try to create
a really small fvwm2.  Just turning off WINDOWSHADE probably
wouldn't buy much.

The ifdefs do make a mess.  If the window shade code
isn't too large, I guess I'd vote the same way.

If the question is should we remove all the ifdefs that are along
these lines, (mini-icons, usedecor, etc.),  I'm not sure...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 02 Mar 1999 16:49:57 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> I would guess the only possible advantage to all those ifdefs, is
  de> for someone that decides to turn them ALL off to try to create
  de> a really small fvwm2.  Just turning off WINDOWSHADE probably
  de> wouldn't buy much.

  de> The ifdefs do make a mess.  If the window shade code
  de> isn't too large, I guess I'd vote the same way.

  de> If the question is should we remove all the ifdefs that are along
  de> these lines, (mini-icons, usedecor, etc.),  I'm not sure...

Agree.  I think we need to take these on a case-by-case basis, and
examine critically how much we could save by disabling them, both in
terms of process size and memory or other resources.  We've already had
someone report they don't have a shape-enabled X server (seems
incredible in 1999, but there you go...).

For example, I'd lean towards keeping the ability to disable xpm
support.  But maybe it doesn't make sense to keep pixmap-buttons but
disable mini-icons, for example: maybe mini-icons don't really make much
of a difference.  Or, maybe they do: maybe they add to the size of the
data structures for each menu item and window.  I dunno.

Anyway, whatever.  Re-read my first paragraph :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]