Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm domivogt

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 07:58:51 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	domivogt	99/03/05 07:58:51

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	docs           : ChangeLog mod_f2m_communication.html 
	                 mod_initialization.html 
	                 mod_m2f_communication.html 
	extras         : ChangeLog 
	extras/FvwmCommand/scripts: focus-link.pl 
	extras/FvwmConfig: FvwmConfig.C 
	extras/FvwmDebug: FvwmDebug.1 FvwmDebug.c 
	extras/FvwmGoodStuff: FvwmGoodStuff.c 
	extras/FvwmScript: FvwmScript.c 
	extras/FvwmTaskBar: FvwmTaskBar.c 
	extras/FvwmWharf: FvwmWharf.c 
	extras/fvwmperl: FvwmDebug.pl FvwmForm.pl MiniPerl.pl 
	                 fvwmmod.doc fvwmmod.pl 
	extras/fvwmpython: Fvwm.py 
	extras/fvwmpython/Manual: fvwm_man.html 
	fvwm           : functions.c fvwm2.1 
	libs           : Module.c 
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmBacker: FvwmBacker.c 
	modules/FvwmButtons: FvwmButtons.c 
	modules/FvwmForm: FvwmForm.c 
	modules/FvwmIconBox: FvwmIconBox.c 
	modules/FvwmIconMan: FvwmIconMan.c 
	modules/FvwmIdent: FvwmIdent.c 
	modules/FvwmPager: FvwmPager.c 
	modules/FvwmRearrange: FvwmRearrange.c 
	modules/FvwmSave: FvwmSave.c 
	modules/FvwmSaveDesk: FvwmSaveDesk.c 
	modules/FvwmWinList: FvwmWinList.c 

Log message:
Renamed builtin functions:
Send_ConfigInfo -> SendConfigInfo
Send_WindowList -> SendWindowList
set_mask        -> SetMask
Added a hint to ImagePath command in manpage (IconPath, PixmapPath)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:37:21 -0500 (EST)

> Changes by:	domivogt	99/03/05 07:58:51

[snip!]

> Send_WindowList -> SendWindowList

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

This is going to break a few things:

1.  tkgoodstuff uses these documented commands (WindowList, Switcher,
    among other things).

2.  People using FvwmCommand or FvwmPipe to do special things will have
    to modify their scripts to use the new names if they use those
    functions.

Remember, the module interface was DOCUMENTED in order to allow people
and programs to take advantage of it.  Serendipitously changing
function names during a minor release will break things needlessly.

I beg you to reconsider this change.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

       "I suggest a new strategy, R2:  Let the Wookiee win." -- C-3PO

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:11:04 -0500 (EST)

> Added a hint to ImagePath command in manpage (IconPath, PixmapPath)

I use a man page to, say, find out how to configure fvwm.  So I like to
have the useful information up front.  

Is it useful to know about obsolete commands?  Yes, if you have an old
fvwm2rc file that you are trying to understand.  But not if you are trying
to write yours, or understand the supplied examples.  None of the examples
have IconPath or PixmapPath in them.

I guess we should decide on what the primary purpose of a man page is: be
a short reference, or be a comprehensive document.

IMO, the man page is already too long, so one ought to think carefully
about what to put in it.  In this case, fvwm itself already warns you that
IconPath being is replaced by ImagePath.  The NEWS file also documents the
change.  Thus, I removed the IconPath and PixmapPath entries deliberately. 
If the question comes up a lot in future, I'll write a FAQ entry.

If it is deemed absolutely necessary to have obsolete commands mentioned
in the manpage, I suggest a small note AT THE END of the ImagePath entry. 
Man pagers allow searching by string, an this will suffice for that
purpose. 

P.S.  Dominik, you re-inserted IconPath twice.  ;-)

P.P.S.  For a similar reason, I re-wrote the Iconify section about the
optional argument to put the CURRENT syntax FIRST, and the old numeric
stuff *last*.  I only re-wrote this because I happened to notice it.  If
there are other similar sections, I'd advocate doing the same.

--
Steve Robbins			<[email-masked]>

A woman came up to me and said, "I'd like to poison your mind,
with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:16:32 -0500

> I beg you to reconsider this change.

I agree with Larry.

If  this was attempt to  fix the collating  sequence problems with "_"
vs.    caseless compares, I still    favor changing the command  table
itself to  all one case, and changing  the argument  to the same case,
and doing the command matching with strcmp instead of strcasecmp.

It seems nuts to use binary searches, on the command table, and at the
same time do case conversion twice before every compare.

I  know we  are doing  this in modules  too,  but in  the main command
loop...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 14:10:21 +0100

> have IconPath or PixmapPath in them.

This is not for eternity. Simply removing a command without
any comment in the manpage is bad practice. As long as the
commands work there should be something in the manpage. So, 
If you for example look through your .fvwm2rc and want to know
what exactly IconPath/PixmapPath do you won't even find it in
the manpage.

> a short reference, or be a comprehensive document.

What else can it be than 'a comprehensive document'? We have no
other documentation so we shouldn't make it less detailed.

> about what to put in it.

Right. But instead of making the manpage smaller I'd suggest to split
it into several parts (like the zsh manpage).

> In this case, fvwm itself already warns you that
> IconPath being is replaced by ImagePath.

Yes, I've seen that, but I don't assume everybody looks at the
output.

> The NEWS file also documents the change.  Thus, I removed the
> IconPath and PixmapPath entries deliberately. 

> in the manpage, I suggest a small note AT THE END of the ImagePath entry. 

That will do you no good if you specifically look for 'IconPath'. You
won't find it.

> Man pagers allow searching by string, an this will suffice for that

But you assume that everybody knows how to do a string search in a manpage.
I know lots of people who never thought that this was possible at all.

> P.S.  Dominik, you re-inserted IconPath twice.  ;-)

Oops!

> there are other similar sections, I'd advocate doing the same.

Maximize, WindowShade and Stick. I hate writing manpage :)

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 14:19:58 +0100

> I  know we  are doing  this in modules  too,  but in  the main command

OK, reading the old thread again I see that I misinterpreted your
suggestion, Dan. I'm quite aware that this will force people to update
the modules that are not distributed with fvwm itself. Well, if it's
this bad for some people I will remove the change although I still
think we should do it. Now something for the CVS experts: how can I
remove just the changes I committed when the files have already been
modified by someone else?

Bye

Dominik