Subject: Dot during decor parsing

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:36:10 -0500

Perhaps  someone more familiar  with  functions.c can figure this  out
faster than I can.  I have a stack trace from the hang I get where the
mouse pointer turns to a dot while executing some decor logic.

(gdb) where
#0  0xef4b8bc0 in _END_ ()
#1  0xef4d3f50 in _END_ ()
#2  0x39018 in IsClick (x=634, y=506, EndMask=8, d=0xefffcf20, may_time_out=0)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/functions.c:684
#3  0x39624 in ComplexFunction2 (eventp=0x7c228, w=0, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0xda6c0 "4_buttons", Module=0xefffd10c, desperate=0xefffd050)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/functions.c:810
#4  0x38258 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0xda6d8 "4_buttons", tmp_win=0x0, 
    eventp=0x7c228, context=8, Module=-2)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/functions.c:329
#5  0x39368 in ComplexFunction2 (eventp=0x7c228, w=0, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0xda708 "DecorCustom\n", Module=0xefffd31c, desperate=0xefffd260)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/functions.c:768
#6  0x38258 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0xefffd340 "DecorCustom\n", 
    tmp_win=0x0, eventp=0x7c228, context=8, Module=-1)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/functions.c:329
#7  0x56e10 in ReadSubFunc (eventp=0x7c228, junk=40, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0x8294d ".fvwm2rc", Module=0xefffd914, piperead=0)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/read.c:178
#8  0x56efc in ReadFile (eventp=0x7c228, w=40, tmp_win=0x0, context=8, 
    action=0x8294d ".fvwm2rc", Module=0xefffd914)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/read.c:198
#9  0x381f8 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0x68a48 "Read .fvwm2rc", tmp_win=0x0, 
    eventp=0x7c228, context=8, Module=-1)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/functions.c:320
#10 0x3ac84 in main (argc=1, argv=0xefffdd54)
    at ../../version-2_3_0/fvwm/fvwm.c:471
(gdb)

I now   believe I  am executing  "DecorCustom",  which  is calling the
function  "4_buttons".   The  "4_buttons"  command  wanders  into  the
function "IsClick"  waiting for the  pointer to  move.  (I don't  know
why.)

One of the things that seems suspicious is the value of Scr.ClickTime
(-150).

(These functions work fine with 2.2.)

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:38:10 +0100

> function "IsClick"  waiting for the  pointer to  move.  (I don't  know

Does this happen during startup? If not the ClickTime has to be positive.
Probably something I broke. I'll ckeck it in the evening.

> (These functions work fine with 2.2.)

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:51:34 -0500

> Probably something I broke. I'll ckeck it in the evening.

It happens during startup and while running.

Maybe Scr.ClickTime  is not the key  to this.  When it happens outside
of startup, Scr.ClickTime is 150.

What is it doing in IsClick?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:02:44 +0100

> What is it doing in IsClick?

I believe this is a bug nobody noticed before I made a change to
IsClick recently. Whenever ytou call a complex function the code
tries to figure out if it has to execute the Click, Doubleclick
or Motion action, even if the function isn't invoked via a mouse
click (just guessing). I modified IsClick so that it waits forever
if no ButtonPress, Motion or ButtonRelease events arrive. This might
be related with your problem.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:22:18 -0500

> be related with your problem.

But   whats it  doing in    there at all    when  the function is  "I"
(immediate)?

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:33:26 +0000

> But   whats it  doing in    there at all    when  the function is  "I"

I think I saw something like the following in you rc file

AddToFunc Something
+ I xxxxxx

I think I remember there being a problem with not having an "I" after
"Something" making the function wait fo a clickTime.  Try rewriting it
as

AddToFunc Something I xxxxx

If that fixes your problem I think we should make "AddToFunc Something"
behave as though "AddToFunc Something I NOP" were typed.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:38:50 -0500

> behave as though "AddToFunc Something I NOP" were typed.

Great minds think alike.  I too remember the bug.
Before I sent the mail this AM I tested exactly that.