Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm dane

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:43:59 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	dane	99/03/20 16:43:59

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : builtins.c fvwm.c fvwm2.1 

Log message:
* fvwm/builtins.c (SetColorLimit): Ignore ColorLimit if display
depth exceeds 8 bits.

* fvwm/fvwm2.1 (Example): Describe new behavior, colorlimit does
nothing on display depths greater than 8, else new default is 255.

* fvwm/fvwm.c (InitVariables): If screen depth is 8 bits or less,
automatically colorlimit.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:05:33 +0100

> * fvwm/builtins.c (SetColorLimit): Ignore ColorLimit if display

Why? Won't people with more than 255 colours want to have this too?

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:59:54 -0500

> Why? Won't people with more than 255 colours want to have this too?

I can't see why they would want approximate  colors when they can have
accurate colors.  I  could be wrong  for the case  of 16 bit displays,
but for Truecolor (24 bit), I think its the right way to go.

Mainly, I have an 8 bit and a 24 bit display  at work, and I'd like to
avoid a preprocessor and use the same config file.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 1999 23:08:13 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> I can't see why they would want approximate colors when they can have
DE> accurate colors.

There are machines with more than 8 plane CLUT modes.  Some SGIs have a 12
plane mode so they still have a restricted number of colors (4096).  Of
course, they could still turn color limiting on if they wanted.

In general it doesn't make sense for truecolor visuals, only for
pesudocolor visuals, and these are essentially independent of the number of
planes.  If it is possible to simply extract the type of the visual from
the server, it might be better to decide whether or not to limit colors
based on this since there are also 8 plane truecolor modes.  (Of course,
such modes are pretty ugly but they do exist.)

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:33:26 +0100

> avoid a preprocessor and use the same config file.

Hmm, if nobody complains... Wasn't there some kind of 15 bit visual too?
Or doesn't X11 support that?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]