Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm hippo

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:26:46 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	hippo	99/03/11 08:26:45

Modified files:
	fvwm           : read.c 

Log message:
Read & ReadPipe read the system rc file only during startup, not just after
the first read (usually ~/.fvwm2rc) fails.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:39:24 -0500

> the first read (usually ~/.fvwm2rc) fails.

I think I had some insight into this part of the startup process.

What I think we should do when we can't read .fvwm2rc is:

Look for .fvwmrc, if found, popup 'FvwmForm XXXXX' and ask if the
user wants to run the conversion script we have.

Otherwise, copy system.fvwmrc to $HOME/.fvwm2rc.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:56:52 +0000

> Otherwise, copy system.fvwmrc to $HOME/.fvwm2rc.

This would be nice but don't forget that this is probably happening
during startup and that means you can't pop up forms without getting
stuck in the dreaded 42 second timeout deadlock.  I think we can pop up
menus during startup but I haven't tried it.

Cheers,
Tim.

PS the reason for the above patch is in case a user starts fvwm and gets
it configured without any Reads.  There was a danger that a failing Read
would end up doing a Read of system.fvwmrc.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:03:48 +0100

> menus during startup but I haven't tried it.

No, I don't think we can. Menus are not created before the .fvwm2rc
has bee completely parsed.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Mar 1999 10:28:02 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> menus during startup but I haven't tried it.

  dv> No, I don't think we can. Menus are not created before the .fvwm2rc
  dv> has bee completely parsed.

Maybe we can create some kind of global flag that says "didn't find a
config!" or similar.

Then, after fvwm gets completely started, if that flag is set we can
kick off some kind of FvwmForm to help the user decide what to do next,
maybe based on whether they have a .fvwmrc, as specified above.

On the other hand, probably the number of people still using fvwm 1.x
and upgrading to 2.x is very rapidly dwindling with every new release.
If a release with this feature isn't made within a few months it's
probably not worth bothering with :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]