Subject: configure fails

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:20:23 +0200

I'm trying to install the sources on a new machine. I downloaded
and installed the newest auotoconf and automake. The I did

  # automake --add-missing
  # autoconf
  # ./configure
 
but get an error:

  ./configure: line 530: syntax error near unexpected token 'AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(fvwm,'
  ./configure: line 530: 'AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(fvwm, 2.3.0'

Any ideas?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:32:54 -0500 (EST)

>   ./configure: line 530: 'AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(fvwm, 2.3.0'

Well, docs/DEVELOPERS has this to say.  Perhaps it is important.

After the *initial* checkout of the sources, (see cvs.html) you will
need to execute the following commands from the top of the source
tree.

    automake --add-missing
    autoreconf

There will be some warnings, which are ignorable as long as you get a
working configure script: the configure script will fix all those
problems.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Is there something wrong with this?
I don't see how there possibly could be:
The waterbed's on fire, 
but everything else is as it should be.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:38:46 +0200

> need to execute the following commands from the top of the source

If you look closer at my mail you'll see that I have done this.
I still fails.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 31 Mar 1999 01:18:16 -0500

>> autoreconf

  dv> If you look closer at my mail you'll see that I have done this.
  dv> I still fails.

Not quite; your mail says you ran "autoconf"; the instructions say to
run "autoreconf".
         ^^

The latter does lots of extra stuff.  I'm not saying it will definitely
solve the problem, but it's a good first step...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:07:47 -0500 (EST)

> If you look closer at my mail you'll see that I have done this.

Well, no; you said you did "autoconf".  The docs say to do "autoreconf".
Yes, it is a subtle distinction.  Too subtle?  

If mashed potatoes were security guards, they wouldn't get much done.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:56:40 +0200

> Yes, it is a subtle distinction.  Too subtle?  

Yes, too subtle. I'd never noticed. It worked last time becuase I
copied it with the mouse. This time I had no working mouse :(

Bye

Dominik