Subject: alright what gives

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:14:06 -0500

[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'SET_MASK' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'
FvwmPager: Can't find font '-*-lucida\ sans\ typewriter-bold-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*', using fixed.

the set mask error seems to be coming from FvwmIconMan when it starts.

as for the pager font I have always specified that font like that,
escaping the spaces and it worked fine.  Now I've had quite a bit of
trouble with commits since Friday breaking things so I haven't yet
pinpointed where the problem is.  Additionally I usually had to escape
my args into FvwmM4 specifically the begin and enquote as \{ and \} but
now that fails treating \ as my begin and end quotes, so did something
happen with escaped args if it did then this will substanlly break old
configs.

With respects to my previous problems:  

Key bindings - seem to be working again without passing keystrokes to
window
Iconify works with zero args again
Maximize button looks depressed without switching pages (not my
complaint but it is fixed).  
Slow menus -- seems to have been do to some unread config lines due 
to other problems

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:18:48 -0500

> the set mask error seems to be coming from FvwmIconMan when it starts.

I was mistaken here the error was from FvwmAnimate and I missed its
complaint about Send_ConfigInfo as well
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:32:12 -0500

> complaint about Send_ConfigInfo as well

So far, I can't reproduce it.

Both commands, "SET_MASK" and "Send_ConfigInfo" are valid commands.
A while ago they broke due to some changes Dominik made to functions.c.
(He removed the underscore.)  Those changes were reversed.

You may want to check your copy of functions.c.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:41:44 +0100

On 23 March, 1999 - Dan Espen sent me these 1,2K bytes:

> > > [FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'SET_MASK' in
> > > ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'
[...]
> You may want to check your copy of functions.c.

I got complaints about SET_MASK as well last night, make clean;make  did
the trick.. Strange tho..

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:43:06 +0100

> You may want to check your copy of functions.c.

Is it possible that different implementations of the string
library have different opinions it upper case letters come
before or after a backslash? The list in functions.c seems
to conflict with what Dan said earlier: that the underscore
is in between upper and lowercase letters. Since upper case
letters have the higher ASCII code the '_' should be before
them, but I tried it and came to the conclusion I had to
put it behind the letters in the list.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:39:11 +0100

> You may want to check your copy of functions.c.

And make sure that you have compiled all modules after the reversal
of the changes. (I usually just recompile fvwm proper and thus I 
had those error messages for some time after the reversal - but I knew
why)

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:45:46 +0100

> the trick.. Strange tho..

I have problems like this frequently. I think the dependencies
might not be generated properly. Any comments by the automake
experts?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:00:40 -0500

> had those error messages for some time after the reversal - but I knew

well thinking that was the problem I did make; make clean; make; make instal-strip

Now I just specifically went into FvwmAnimate and did a make clean; make install-strip exited fvwm and restarted

and now I get :
FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'Send_ConfigInfo' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'Send_WindowList' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'Send_WindowList' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'

The executable is running but if I go to my control animation menu it doesn't pop up. now if I kill the exe and restart it I get:
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'read' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'read' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'
[FVWM][executeModule]: <<ERROR>> No such module 'read' in ModulePath '/home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/libexec/fvwm/2.3.0'

but I get the control animation menu and the animation now works.

and yes I did do cvs update and I got no problems except for some
.cvsignore files I added some missing files to.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:10:22 +0000

> .cvsignore files I added some missing files to.

Just to second this. There is a problem withthe module comms, I don't
know what it is though but I'm also getting error messages about missing
commands.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Mar 1999 11:13:26 -0500

>> the trick.. Strange tho..

  dv> I have problems like this frequently. I think the dependencies
  dv> might not be generated properly. Any comments by the automake
  dv> experts?

If you're using the proper versions of the tools I have no idea; I don't
see this myself.  Things always rebuild correctly for me.

As someone else pointed out, you should be sure to build from the
top-level fvwm dir, not just within the fvwm subdir, otherwise things
like libs etc. won't recompile.  There's no rule within fvwm/fvwm that
jumps to fvwm/libs to make sure everything's kosher there, for example.

If you can reproduce it, we can look at it.  Next time something doesn't
rebuild properly when a header or something is changed, check the
.deps/foo.P file for the .c file that didn't recompile and make sure it
has the proper dependencies listed.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:42:53 +0100

> has the proper dependencies listed.

I'll keep my eyes open. I remember builtins.c otfen had such a problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Mar 1999 12:07:06 -0500

dv> I'll keep my eyes open. I remember builtins.c otfen had such a problem.

Whoops!  You're exactly right!

And probably fvwm.c and read.c, too, right?

The fvwm/Makefile.am has a problem: it defines some explicit rules for
these three objects.  But these rules don't do all the fancy dependency
handling stuff that the implicit rules for the other .o's do, so
there're no dependency checks at all for those files!

We'll have to fix that :-/.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:32:55 -0500

> know what it is though but I'm also getting error messages about missing

I don't see yet, how the module communications can be involved
since the commands that come as invalid are plainly valid.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:44:32 -0500

> know what it is though but I'm also getting error messages about missing

Purify reports that the line with the arrow has  a "BSR" (beyond stack
read).

            DoGetNextToken [Parse.c:279]
                 if (tmptok == NULL)
                   *token = NULL;
                 else
            =>     *token = strdup(tmptok);
                 return end;
               }

I don't know if I screwed it up or not.  Looks like there were a number
of recent changes.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:15:41 +0100

> I don't know if I screwed it up or not.  Looks like there were a number

Yes, I changed a lot. I expected something like this to happen.
Token parsing is done in a static buffer now. This removed the need
for the same code in several functions (like GetNextToken vs.
PeekToken or the new CheckToken). There is a #define somewhere
that specifies the maximum allowed token length i.e. the buffer
size. I bet this number is too small. Previously it was used in
one call from one module (in PeekToken).

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:21:44 -0500

> one call from one module (in PeekToken).

I think you missed the point.  In  "DoPeekToken" the variable "tmptok"
was automatic.  Its address is being returned to  the caller by way of
"char **token".  This   caused  the BSR.  I  changed  it  to  a static
variable, but in general  I don't think we would  want to have a bunch
of static areas   to hold intermediate parse  results.   If you  don't
mind, then forget it.  I didn't detect any area being too small.

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:40:51 -0500 (EST)

> put it behind the letters in the list.

If the ordering is a problem, then the solution is simple: sort the list
at startup time.  Surely the quicksort() and bsearch() functions ought to
agree *on the same machine*!

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Don't know what I want, but I know how to get it.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:55:43 +0100

> mind, then forget it.  I didn't detect any area being too small.

No, I don't mind since the static area is nothing new. It was in the
code before.

Bye

Dominik