Subject: bug in event handling - need assistance

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:31:01 +0100

I've noticed a strange thing with events that causes a bug in
menu handling and possibly at other places:

I have the window menu bound to title button 1 of all windows
(with mouse button 1) and another menu bound to mouse button 1
over the root window:

  Mouse   1   R      A   Menu WorkMenu Nop
  Mouse   1   1      A   Menu WindowMenu Delete

Now, when I click mouse button 1 once over the root
window, the menu handling code does not see the
ButtonPress event (this is correct since it has been
eaten up by the main event loop in HandleButtonPress())
and only gets the ButtonRelease event.

When I do the same over title bar button 1 the menu
code gets a ButtonPress event. I'm puzzled. How can this
happen?

This breaks the 'default action' of menus:
If you click once in the title bar button (if yor're
fast enough) fvwm executed the default action and closes
the window although you only clicked once.

Perhaps related to this I noticed this:
When I click on the root window (i.e. press and release)
the menu pops up immediately when I release the button.
If I only press the button there is a slight delay between
the button press and the moment the menu pops up. I've tracked
that down to HandleButtonPress. The delay already happens before
HandleButtonPress is ever called.

All this applies to fvwm-2.2 too.

Could someone help me here? I'm not familiar with our event
loop.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:25:59 +0000

I can't help with your problems Dominik but I thought you should know
that todays CVS is broken for key press handling.  fvwm is no longer
eating up key press events associated with menu hot keys and other key
bindings.  The functions and menu picks still work but I keep getting
extra characters typed into windows.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:39:11 +0100

> extra characters typed into windows.

Hmm, probably related to my binding cleanups from yesterday.
Still I can't fathom what could cause the problem. Any ideas?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]