Subject: Re: Removing Titlebar buttons... Is it possible?

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 01:45:53 -0500

Do we really want themes to be able to change behavior?  I thought one
of the fundamental ideas behind themes was to separate look from feel,
and only be able to change the look (via changing themes).  

The number of titlebar buttons and their bindings are definitely
"feel".  

Without the rollover ballon-type help that Enlightenment provides for
titlebar widgets, changing their behavior could be a sudden unwelcome
surprise for the user (for instance, my "close" button is on the left of
the titlebar instead of "iconify"...)

The pixmaps used to display them are "look" and therefore would be
themable.   We might want to make standard decors for "CloseButton",
"IconifyButton", "MaximizeButton", etc.  These can be changed via
themes, and the corresponding buttons (with those decors) change
automatically.

~p@
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael C Tilstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:52:26 -0600

yes, here is a function that I used in my config file to clear out all the
buttons in the title bars. Not a super clean way of doing it, but it
works.

##########################################################################
# Function:     Disable ALL buttons 
#               (This needs to be called when resetting between different
#               Decors to keep from getting buttons all mixed up)
#========================================================================#

DestroyFunc     "RemoveAllButtons"
AddToFunc       "RemoveAllButtons"
+ "I"   Style "*"       NoButton 0, NoButton 1, NoButton 2, NoButton 3, \
                        NoButton 4, NoButton 5, NoButton 6, NoButton 7, \
                        NoButton 8, NoButton 9

Use this with a function like:
DestroyFunc	Decor_Mwm
AddToFunc	Decor_Mwm
+ "I"  RemoveAllButtons
+ "I"  Style "*"	UseDecor Mwm, ForeColor Black
+ "I"  Style "*"	Button 1, Button 2, Button 4
+ "I"  MenuStyle	Black grey75 grey40 -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-120-* mwm
+ "I"  Mouse 0 1 N	Menu Window-Ops Close
+ "I"  Mouse 0 2 N	Maximize
+ "I"  Mouse 0 4 N	Iconify
+ "I"  Mouse 3 4 N	Replace
+ "I"  Recapture

This is stuff that builds up a basic system of doing themes that I started
this summer.  But with the class load I have this year, I just haven't had
time to work on it. (that and I don't have a machine that runs fvwm anymore
either....) hmm, I suppose that if you want, I can send you what I've done.
Its nothing real impressive, just a small foundation. (but it mostly worked
:)

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 11:57:32PM -0500, Jay Kuri wrote:
[snip
> You cannot remove a button from the title-bar once it has been added.
[snip]
> Can someone shed some light for me?

Hope things have been lightened...
-- 
Mike Tilstra                                         Tadpol
[email-masked]        http://www.tc.umn.edu/~tils0007/
"Never trust a computer you can't lift."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jay Kuri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:44:06 -0500 (EST)

> and only be able to change the look (via changing themes).  

	This is an interesting question.  Most WM's that support themes
don't allow changing of buttons (look at WindowMaker or even the new Mac
themes)... the existing themes at fvwm.themes.org do allow modification of
the buttons... but probably because they were not built with 'instant
switching' in mind.  I think we should keep the ability to do it, but make
it a *FvwmTheme config option (that defaults to not allowing it).

> the titlebar instead of "iconify"...)
	Absolutely true... Ask me how many times I've switched to another
theme and nuked the window I was working in when trying to iconify it..
heh. =)
 
> themes, and the corresponding buttons (with those decors) change

	I like this idea.  This is getting away from keeping the
Fvwm-style configuration options... but I think I can find a way to work
it in while still keeping the config style.  I think this is the route I
will pursue...  

	However, I still think there should be a way to remove a button
from the titlebar once it is no-longer bound.  I realize (now) that you
can do the "style * nobutton 1" thing, but then you have to re-specify
each button you are going to use to get them back.  To make this work
properly the FvwmTheme module requires quite a bit more logic (and access
to some things it currently can't get, like which buttons are active when
it starts).

	How difficult would it be to have the display-button-or-not logic
triggered during a recapture... or is that even the right place for it?

Thanks,

Jay

---

From: Jay Kuri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:46:01 -0500 (EST)

> Its nothing real impressive, just a small foundation. (but it mostly worked

	I would like to see it if you don't mind.  Anything that can
help!!  Thank you for your help so far..  I totally missed the NoButton
stuff.

> Hope things have been lightened...

	Quite a bit... thank you.

Jay