Subject: fvwm kills itself

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:12:56 +0200

When I run fvwm2 and then try to start it again from a
rxvt, my running fvwm2 is killed. No error message, no
coredump.

--- 15 minutes later ---

Both wm's are closed as soon as the XSetSelectionOwner
call in icccm2.c, line 82 is flushed.

--- 20 minutes later ---

This happend because the new fvwm2 tries to take over
wm functionality from the old one (as defined in icccm2).
Unfortunately the X server doesn't like this since the
original fvwm2 is the last client started in my .xinitrc
file. As soon as it exits the X server dies.

There *must* be a better way to implement this. It's
unacceptable that all your applications are killed
because of a typo (you do save often, do you?).
Matthias, any ideas?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:06:27 +0200

> rxvt, my running fvwm2 is killed. No error message, no

Fine so far. 

> file. As soon as it exits the X server dies.

Bad. Perhaps I never noticed this problem since the last
program ran in my .xsession file is xsm.

> because of a typo (you do save often, do you?).

Run a session manager ?! Or put a dummy program after the wm,
like an extra xterm ? Seriously, I'll reread the ICCCM on this. 

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]