Subject: FvwmGtk

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:06:23 -0500

I was just trying to build this module under Solaris 2.5.1 and I got
link do to a missing function "snprintf".  I see this exists in Solaris
2.6 but not 2.5.1 anyone have a work around to this? 

Or does that make 2 things that don't work on 2.5.1:  session, and GtkMenus
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Mar 1999 10:10:42 -0500

%% Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> writes:

  bg> I was just trying to build this module under Solaris 2.5.1 and I
  bg> got link do to a missing function "snprintf".  I see this exists
  bg> in Solaris 2.6 but not 2.5.1 anyone have a work around to this?

We can always grab a copy of snprintf from the GNU dists, if it's deemed
important.  Or maybe the code can be rewritten relatively easily to
avoid the need for snprintf(), I haven't looked.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:37:43 +0100

> avoid the need for snprintf(), I haven't looked.

Oops, I meant to ask about the use of these GNU extensions. 
I happen to like them. 

I´d vote for conditionally including them in libfvwm on systems 
without them.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Mar 1999 10:52:35 -0500

%% Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> We can always grab a copy of snprintf from the GNU dists, if it's
  >> deemed important.  Or maybe the code can be rewritten relatively
  >> easily to avoid the need for snprintf(), I haven't looked.

  mc> Oops, I meant to ask about the use of these GNU extensions. 
  mc> I happen to like them. 

snprintf() isn't a GNU extension; it's in SingleUNIX v2, for example,
although not in POSIX.1 I don't think.

  mc> I´d vote for conditionally including them in libfvwm on systems 
  mc> without them.

We'd have to find a version.  Note that the one in glibc may well not be
usable, as it probably uses internal glibc functions etc.

Also, thinking about this further, note that this function isn't really
that easy to emulate without rewriting all of the *printf() features.
We can look into it, though.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:10:23 -0500 (EST)

> avoid the need for snprintf(), I haven't looked.

If you want a GPL'd snprintf, you may need to get xsnprintf.c from the
Apache distribution.  glibc's snprintf makes a LOT of assumptions on how
printf is coded (it basically assumes you are using glibc for all
formatting).

I discovered this in another application that I was porting.

I believe the Apache source license would allow FVWM to co-opt it, but
you better check it to be sure.  The application that I was porting was
a private one and not commercially (or publically) distributed.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

I would really appreciate it if the login command had a better sense of humor.