Subject: DEVELOPERS Suggestion

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:28:18 -0800 (XXX)

I think something to this affect should be included in the DEVELOPERS file
in the /docs directory (to serve/guide new hackers/coders)

 FVWM Objectives
 ---------------

 1. Designed to minimize memory consumption (SMALL footprint)
 2. Designed to provide the ability to use accessory programs (modules)
 3. Designed to provide a 3-D look to window frames
 4. Designed to provide a simple virtual desktop
 5. Designed to be extremely customizable
 6. BLAH BLAH BLAH

With all the recent additions (layers/gnome-support/etc) my concern is for
FVWM not to grow and become blotted (controlled growth is OK, as long as
the objectives above are adhered to as much as possible)

Don't get me wrong, I dig the new additions (and I agree with most that they
are sorely needed if FVWM is to keep up with other wm).  I just wanted to
remind people to keep the general objectives in mind and to make sure that the
new hackers know about 'em as well - thus my suggestion of the inclusion,
noted above, to the DEVELOPERS file.

Keep up the GREAT work

 - Nadim (cc me for replies)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:18:10 +0100

>  FVWM Objectives

The DEVELOPERS file already has a hint in that direction:

 5) New features should be discussed on the list to ensure everyone
    thinks they're "appropriate" (one of the goals of fvwm is to be
    relatively efficient, remember, which means we don't necessarily
    want the kitchen sink).

But it may be worth to add something like

 6) Before adding a new feature think twice if it could perhaps
    be implemented as a module (perhaps after some esxtension 
    of the fvwm<->module communication protocol). Moving features
    in modules helps to keep fvwm itself clean and efficient.

I have thought about ways to implement the session management stuff 
in a module. It would perhaps be possible, but only after considerable
extension to the Style command and the fvwm<->module protocol (you must
be able to specify all relevant per-window state in a Style command
and to match windows by client-id and role and fvwm must communicate
its global state to modules). 

The layers stuff doesn't really bloat fvwm in my eyes...it actually
cleans up some ugly places in the code (I only mention KeepOnTop()
and the RAISED flag).

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]