Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm hippo

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:58:28 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	hippo	99/03/30 02:58:27

Modified files:
	fvwm           : misc.c 

Log message:
Filled in the Exceed vendor string for the raise-over-NT-windows feature
"Hummingbird Communications Ltd." works for me.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:28:46 +0200

> "Hummingbird Communications Ltd." works for me.

Does "works for me" mean "the string is correct" or "the EXCEED_HACK works" ?

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:42:55 +0100

> Does "works for me" mean "the string is correct" or "the EXCEED_HACK works" ?

Well, I thought both but on checking found I hadn't got a #define
EXCEED_HACK anywhere even though I ran configure --enable-exceed-hack
(after deleting config.cache).  I put it in config.h and, yes, the
string works but, no, the code doesn't.  I've committed what I believe
is way to get it working.  It will cause more redraws than necessary if
you raise a window and there are windows in layers above it that overlap
but it is the only way I could get Exceed to really raise the window. 
Exceed gets in a mess when XRestackWindows is used.

The code used to do a raise of the top most window (probably a pan
frame) followed by a restack, now it gets the stacking order from the
server and works it's way from the window being raised to the top,
raising each one in turn. It does cause excess redraws on its way to the
top but it does get X windows and NT windows stacked right when it has
finished.

I don't know what you want to do with the #define.  I'd vote for putting
this in always and not having a configure option.  If you're not and
Exceed user it will have no effect.  If you are and you have configured
Exceed to not need it (going full screen) you can always change the
vendor string.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:46:54 +0200

> top but it does get X windows and NT windows stacked right when it has

Yes, this was my first idea for implementing it, since I already had
the feeling that XRestackWindows may be too clever for the troublesome
X server. 

> Exceed to not need it (going full screen) you can always change the

Yes, if it works now, the #define can probably go away. I just put
it in since I had no way of really testing the code.

Matthias

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:49:05 +0200

> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:42:55 +0100
> From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
> Organization: Quadrics Supercomputers World Ltd.
> X-Accept-Language: en
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: list
> X-Majordomo: 1.94.jlt7
> 
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > Log message:

Forgotten autoconf ? I put the #undef EXCEED_HACK in acconfig.h
from where it should be transferred to config.h.in at autoconf-time
(I guess).