Subject: Late reply: outstanding patches

From: "Fred Maciel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:53:42 +0900

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the delay in spotting this one, I was quite busy because of the
end of the semester (yes, in Japan the business semester ends in March).

> > On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 09:58:48PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> The following patches are still lying around on my disk:
>
> 1) FvwmStyle module (in perl)

Is this my FvwmStyleCmd module? If it is, let me try to explain what has
happened.

First of all let me explain the history, and give an update of, the Perl
modules for Fvwm, as concisely as possible. On Fvwm 2.0 there was the
fvwmmod.pl module, however it is not maintained anymore and was taken out of
Fvwm 2.2. There is a new module called X11::Fvwm which subsumes fvwmmod.pl
(see http://www.byz.org/~randy/perl/X11::Fvwm), but its author (Randy Ray)
prefers to distribute it separately from Fvwm. When Fvwm 2.2 was released I
was going to remind you about X11::Fvwm so we could add a link to it from
the Fvwm Homepage but (among other problems) X11::Fvwm won't compile with
2.2. I think that the changes to make it work again are minimal. I contacted
Randy, but he said that he has been "working heavy overtime" so it seems
that he won't have time to update it soon. I'll offer to help him: Perl
makes writing (and/or prototyping) modules *very* fast, and it is worth to
have X11:Fvwm working again.

Finally, about my module. I wrote it for fvwmmod.pl, and it is working
nicely on Fvwm 2.2. I might make a X11::Fvwm version also. However, I prefer
to have its features included in FvwmEvent. See
http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9812/msg00494.html. I haven't worked on
this yet.

Dominik, for short:
- You may erase the module if you want, it won't be included in Fvwm.
- If anybody asks for something like a StartMaximized feature, tell him/her
to e-mail me.
- It could be put in the unofficial_patches directory or any other suitable
place (but first let me re-pack it including fvwmmod.pl).

Last, but not least, a question:
- When installing X11:Fvwm it uses the Fvwm sources to read the packet
types. This is good because you get the latest packet types, but this is bad
because you need the Fvwm sources. If I copy the packet types and other
information to X11:Fvwm to solve this problem, how is the X11:Fvwm license
affected by this?

Yours truly,

                         Fred Maciel
                         E-mail  [email-masked]

Disclaimer:
I don't speak for Hitachi,
I don't know who speaks for Hitachi,
I don't want to know who speaks for Hitachi.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:41:40 -0800

Previously...
>have X11:Fvwm working again.

X11:Fvwm wouldn't even build against 2.0.47d. The trouble was that
while the docs stated you needed => 2.0.46, it was reading the VERSION
from the source tree and doing a
if ( $string == '2.0.46' )
kind of thing! I hacked that and things were happy once again. It's
still working under CVS sources, even though I compiled against
2.0.47d. Come to think of it though, I think X11:Fvwm needs to be
compiled with an accurate command table, in which case my X11:Fvwm is
probably broken, though i haven't noticed... I don't think there's
anything else that'd need fixing, other than perhaps dealing with the
recent changes for AtomicSendText().
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not call the principal "spud head"
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]