Subject: autoconf & readline

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 21:44:19 +0100

Any autoconf gurus around?

Problem:
The readline check looks for -lreadline and readline/readline.h
  Fine with me, I get those from gdb (4.16).
extras/FvwmConsole/getline.c uses readline/history.h as well
  Not fine, don't have it.

Thus fvwm thinks I have a full setup of readline, but then the compile
fails because I don't have history.h

Solution:
Check for both readline/readline.h and readline/history.h

Another problem:
I don't know how do fix it 8)

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:46:53 -0500 (EST)

> Check for both readline/readline.h and readline/history.h

Yeah, that's probably the better soltion.

For now, I changed configre to check for only readline/history.h on the
assmption that it won't get installed withot readline/readline.h also
being there.

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:57:23 +0100

> On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Tomas Ogren wrote:
[...]
> assmption that it won't get installed withot readline/readline.h also

checking with termcap... checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
checking for readline/history.h... no
checking with ncurses... checking for readline in -lreadline... no
...
  Have ReadLine support?    no

Looks a bit strange, but it works.

/Tomas

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Mar 1999 13:20:57 -0500

%% Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]> writes:

  to> checking with termcap... checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
  to> checking for readline/history.h... no
  to> checking with ncurses... checking for readline in -lreadline... no
  to> ...
  to>   Have ReadLine support?    no

  to> Looks a bit strange, but it works.

Agreed.  First, in an ideal world it would check for readline/history.h
first, since that's a fast and simple check, then only if that succeeds
would it try the libraries.

Second, I guess the only way to get the kind of thing you'd like to see:

  checking for readline in -lreadline with termcap... yes

would require an extra argument to the current macro checking for libs.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]