Subject: GNOME support

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Mar 1999 10:26:45 -0500

As people start using GNOME 1.0, I'm seeing and hearing lots of
grumbling about the current state of GNOME-aware WM's.  There is
far-reaching dislike for Enlightenment.

Do we have any news on the GNOME patches for fvwm?  It's looking more
and more like we (fvwm) could really be a hit if we provided a
reasonable alternative to the other GNOME window managers in a timely
manner...

I see the fvwm-2.2 GNOME aware version on Jay's web site:

  http://www.serv.net/~jpaint/download/fvwm-gnome-2.2.tar.gz

What's the status of this?  Should we be looking at it for merging with
2.3.x, or is more work needed on it first?

Of course, some people are looking for graphical configuration of WM
features, too, which we don't have (much) yet.  But, first things first
:)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Mar 1999 10:18:06 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Do we have any news on the GNOME patches for fvwm?

Jay (P) was going to do a writeup of his stuff a while back, but I don't
think we've seen it.

PDS> It's looking more and more like we (fvwm) could really be a hit if we
PDS> provided a reasonable alternative to the other GNOME window managers
PDS> in a timely manner...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants to argue this point.  Perhaps
fortunately for us, GNOME was released on somewhat of an unfinished state,
so we have a bit more time.  But I think that if we don't make the RedHat 6
cutoff date (whenever that is) then we essentially concede to icewm or qvwm
or one of the other small WMs, even though they aren't finished.  (Which
never made much sense to me, but that's the way it seems to be.)

PDS> Of course, some people are looking for graphical configuration of WM
PDS> features, too, which we don't have (much) yet.

I wonder if someone couldn't take FvwmForm, convert it to GTK and turn it
into a control panel applet somehow.  Then it just comes down to writing
all of the forms.

 - J<

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:17:02 +0100

> into a control panel applet somehow.  Then it just comes down to writing

my GtkMenus module was a start in that direction. I'm on dialogs right now.
Stay tuned.

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]