Subject: Problems with WindowShade

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:33:24 +0000

I'm having trouble with windows getting in a pickle when they are
shaded. This is with the latest CVS (11th Mar) and WindowShadeAnimate
4.  If I run xev and shade it I get the following at the end:

======
ConfigureNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    event 0x3800001, window 0x3800001, (0,-54), width 178, height 178,
    border_width 0, above 0x0, override NO

VisibilityNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    state VisibilityPartiallyObscured

ConfigureNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    event 0x3800001, window 0x3800001, (0,-108), width 178, height 178,
    border_width 0, above 0x0, override NO

ConfigureNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    event 0x3800001, window 0x3800001, (0,-162), width 178, height 178,
    border_width 0, above 0x0, override NO

ConfigureNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    event 0x3800001, window 0x3800001, (0,0), width 178, height 178,
    border_width 0, above 0x0, override NO

Expose event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    (0,0), width 178, height 10, count 2

Expose event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    (0,10), width 10, height 18, count 1

Expose event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    (68,10), width 110, height 18, count 0

ConfigureNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    event 0x3800001, window 0x3800001, (0,0), width 178, height 65524,
    border_width 0, above 0x0, override NO
                                        This looks really weird ^^^^^
Expose event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    (0,0), width 178, height 10, count 2

Expose event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    (0,10), width 10, height 18, count 1

Expose event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    (68,10), width 110, height 18, count 0

VisibilityNotify event, serial 15, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    state VisibilityFullyObscured
=====
What seems to cause the problem is the onfigureNotify reporting that the
window is 65524 pixels high.  Is this a bug in my XServer? It's Exceed
6.1 running on NT and it's not the best Xserver I've come across.

Cheers,
Tim.

PS if you want to replicate this don't click on the xev window, you get
millions of events.  I type the following in to FvwmConsole

Exec xev > ev.log
Next ("Event Tester") WindowShade
Next ("Event Tester") Close
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:09:24 -0500

> 4.  If I run xev and shade it I get the following at the end:
...
> 6.1 running on NT and it's not the best Xserver I've come across.

I don't think Exceed is the culprit.

I  fooled around with   an rxvt making it   maximized  and sticky  and
windowshaded.  At one point I had it unshaded and I maximized it.  The
rxvt froze in  a half maximized state,  the frame was  maximized, rxvt
wasn't yet, (I think it was trying).

I had to kill rxvt when its memory use reached 823Meg and Xsun reached
62meg.  I beat my  previous record of  300Meg or  so with  Netscape by
quite a margin!

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:19:36 +0100

> 62meg.  I beat my  previous record of  300Meg or  so with  Netscape by

Be assured that it will hog all your memory :) I had the same once
(don't know what I did), and I waited too long. When I tried to kill
it I couldn't open a root shell or even reboot. So I had to
wait until it coredumped when the swap space was exhausted. Sometimes
I wonder if I should limit per-process memory usage ;-)

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]