Subject: CVS snapshots

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:42:45 +0100

I was just having a look at the Enlightenment web page and noticed
they have a way to download a current development snapshot. Wouldn't
this be a good idea for fvwm too? Often we tell people to fetch
the current CVS source, but many would have to install CVS first
and learn using it. Why not build a snapshot of CVS once or
twice every day and put a link to it on the web page?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:17:46 -0500 (EST)

> twice every day and put a link to it on the web page?

This idea has merit, though twice a day seems overkill to me.

    user: "I just downloaded today's snapshot, but I'm having problem ..."
    developer: "Was that the morning or afternoon snapshot?"

;-)

If someone wants to do this, it is pretty easy.  You need to have a
directory for snapshot sources that is separate from your development
directory.  Then:

	cd <snapshot-sources>
	cvs update
	make && \
	  make dist VERSION=snapshot && \
	  cp fvwm-snapshot.tar.gz <wherever> && \
	  cp ChangeLog NEWS <wherever>

This method has the important advantage that the snapshot tarball does not
need all the GNU tools to use!

Of course, you can play around with date to generate a better version
string, if you fancy that.  

One possible wrinkle is that snapshot will not be generated if the sources
fail to build.  You need to do "make" before "make dist" otherwise the
dependency info could be messed up, which could be a real pain to sort out
via email. 

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

This is not a locker room, and that's a surfboard, not a yacht.

---

From: Lee Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 1999 14:33:33 +0000

>     developer: "Was that the morning or afternoon snapshot?"

My vote goes for once a week or something similar, that way you (The
developers) get time to fix bugs people report and people get time to
thoroughly test stuff. Still you don't have to be rigidly tied to that
schedule. You can for instance say you will release at least one
snapshot a week, but if a major bug occurs you can release one mid-week.

Just my 2p

Lee.
-- 
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...  
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:37:05 +0100

> string, if you fancy that.  

And the date should be reflected in the filename.

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:38:46 +0100

> snapshot a week, but if a major bug occurs you can release one mid-week.

I thought of it not as a way to distribute the code but for easy
access to the current development sources. It should be clearly
marked as **instable** and for developers only (and of course to
verify that bugs have gone away).

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:08:11 -0500 (EST)

> And the date should be reflected in the filename.

Yeah, that's automatic if you set VERSION.

Istanbul was Constantinople,
now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople.
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'!

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:10:41 +0100

> > > 	  cp fvwm-snapshot.tar.gz <wherever> && \
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But it's missing here, right?

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:58:09 +0100

> verify that bugs have gone away).

Jason, would you install the script that Steve posted? Someone
has to update the web pages too.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]