Subject: Re: FVWM: Menu behaviour - patch to ver. 2.2

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:22:09 -0800

Previously...
>The problem was reported in a previous message: the fact that keyboard
>accelerators are case-sensitive.  On the one hand this seems like a good
>thing, as it gives you more possible accelerators; on the other hand it's
>a drag that you have to change the case of your description to fit the
>case of your accelerator, and maybe it should be ignored.

hotkeys are not case insensitive. Else the numerous definitions I have
a` la:
AddToMenu Foo "&XTerm" Exec exec xterm
would require me to hit "X" to hotkey instead of "x". The
menuShortcut() function does a tolower() before testing the match. One
assumes that AddToMenu similarly does tolower() on the character
following "&" before placing it in the MenuItem struct as the hotkey.
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not Xerox my butt
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:02:03 +0100

> following "&" before placing it in the MenuItem struct as the hotkey.

And doesn't one call this behaviour case insensitive? I.e. it doesn't
matter if you use lower case or upper case letters.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:55:07 -0800

Previously...
>matter if you use lower case or upper case letters.

Err. Sensitive. Not case sensitive. I was trying to correct Paul's
statement that shortcuts are case-sensitive... Ah, nothing like a
mailing list to make a fool of oneself.
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not squeak chalk
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Mar 1999 13:02:24 -0500

%% Michael Han <[email-masked]> writes:

  mh> Err. Sensitive. Not case sensitive. I was trying to correct Paul's
  mh> statement that shortcuts are case-sensitive... Ah, nothing like a
  mh> mailing list to make a fool of oneself.

But... wait... the bug report says they _are_ case-sensitive:

> I found that key accelerators in menus works only while CAPS is off,
> which is IMHO inproper. It's not a problem with modifiers but with
> case which in this situaction should be ignored.

So, is the bug report (and subsequent patch) wrong?  Or are we talking
about something completely different?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:07:07 +0100

> about something completely different?

The shortcut itself is insensitive and the keypress is (was) sensitive.
In the code it's clearly visible that both were intended to be insensitive.
The patch is correct (and already applied) and the right thing to do.

Bye

Dominik