Subject: Latest CVS hanging

From: [email-masked] (Tim Phipps)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:19:56 GMT

Not sure what's causing this, hope it's not me removing ->bw, but I get hangs when
some windows get closed, moved.  With -debug the last thing in the log file is:

[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 8, EventType: 2

Any clues as to what this is?
Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:01:52 +0100

> Any clues as to what this is?

A BadMatch in X_ConfigureWindow caused by a KeyPress event?
There's a file docs/error_codes that explains these error
messages.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:54:37 +0000

> There's a file docs/error_codes that explains these error

Oh, I forgot about that, thanks.  The man page for XConfigureWindow only
mentions BadMatch in two cases. One is setting the borderwidth of an
input only window, the other is specifying stack position against
another window that is not a sibling.

I managed to get gdb to grab fvwm2 when it hung.  It's not hanging, it's
looping around the stack list (line 899 of misc.c). It seems to happen
when I hit a key that runs a functions that does:
Close
Prev Focus
Prev Raise

and the window that is closed is a transient of the window that gets
raised.

It looks like the stack order list is getting corrupted.. I hate to
point the finger of suspicion but this only started after the layer
patch went in.

Cheers,
Tim.

PS it would be nice if SIG_QUIT signal caused a core dump. In this case
it doesn't break the loop, only SIG_KILL works and that doesn't leave a
core.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:07:52 +0100

> point the finger of suspicion but this only started after the layer

Good spotting. In fact, last night I realized that my implementation
of layer-smart RaiseWindow was not so smart after all (manipulating
the stacking order list while looping over that list is, um, dangerous.)

I'll provide a (hopefully) better RaiseWindow tonight.

The symptoms that the current CVS might show are either X errors from
ConfigureWindow (as you've seen) or getting stuck in a tight loop 
(the stacking order can get corrupted to have cyclic pointers). All
this should only happen when raising windows with transients. A
way to make fvwm work more reliable until I correct my mistakes
should be to compile with DONT_RAISE_TRANSIENTS, I guess.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]