Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm psmith

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:24:30 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	psmith	99/03/17 14:24:30

Modified files:
	docs           : DEVELOPERS cvs.html 

Log message:
Updated the DEVELOPERS and cvs.html files with lots more details.  Please
check and review.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:48:13 +0100

> Updated the DEVELOPERS and cvs.html files with lots more details.  Please

Hm.. Just one thing... we need more than just a c++ compiler and XPM to
compile... readline and gtk(?) as well...?

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {cs,ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:03:24 -0500

%% Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]> writes:

  to> Hm.. Just one thing... we need more than just a c++ compiler and
  to> XPM to compile... readline and gtk(?) as well...?

Oh ugh.  Readline isn't so bad, but now we can't build dists on anything
except a Linux box with gtk installed?

That seems like a Very Bad Thing...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:09:32 +0100

> except a Linux box with gtk installed?

Who said anything about Linux? GTK builds on almost anything afaik..
Even win32 (different tree now, being migrated into 1.3.x currently)

/Tomas

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:38:03 -0500

to> Who said anything about Linux? GTK builds on almost anything afaik..
  to> Even win32 (different tree now, being migrated into 1.3.x currently)

Well, I guess I was thinking ahead to GNOME and KDE support.  I know
those are _supposed_ to build on anything, but I've had no luck getting
KDE to compile on my Solaris system and compiling GNOME looks like a
nightmare, with all those prerequisite libraries...  maybe this isn't a
big deal: it depends on how the GNOME/KDE integration is done.

Even so, requiring gtk in order to create dists seems a bit steep.  If
we do, we do, and we should document it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:47:25 -0500

I just realized I _do_ have gtk installed on my Solaris system :).  I
forgot I installed GIMP.

Anyway, I notice there's no option in configure on where to look for GTK
libs?  I have mine installed in a non-standard place.

I wonder if we shouldn't redo the way we handle this in configure.
Rather than having specific options for each library, can't we do
something like:

  --with-libs=path1:path2:path3
  --with-includes=path4:path5:path6

or similar?  I dunno, seems like it'd be easier.

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:49:10 +0100

On 17 March, 1999 - Paul D. Smith sent me these 1,3K bytes:

> Well, I guess I was thinking ahead to GNOME and KDE support.

If I have understood the gnome/kde support correctly, we won't link to
any libs, just setting some X-properties here and there as
communication.. (correct?)

> I know those are _supposed_ to build on anything, but I've had no luck
> getting KDE to compile on my Solaris system and compiling GNOME looks
> like a nightmare, with all those prerequisite libraries...

I've had no problems with GNOME on Solaris 2.6/Sparc...

> we do, we do, and we should document it.

Not very often we need to create dists.. right? (should be documented
tho.)

/Tomas

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:54:48 +0100

> libs?  I have mine installed in a non-standard place.

As long as gtk-config is in your path, you shouldn't need to specify
anything more.. we should have a --with-gtk-exec or something...

>   --with-includes=path4:path5:path6

gtk (and many libraries nowadays) is a bit special, since gtk-config
gives you everything you need to know.. for instance where to find the
platform-specific glibconfig.h etc..

/Tomas

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 Mar 1999 16:55:02 -0500

%% I wrote:

  pds> Anyway, I notice there's no option in configure on where to look
  pds> for GTK libs?

Never mind, I re-gen'd configure and I see some now.  I'll try them out.

  pds> like a nightmare, with all those prerequisite libraries...

  to> I've had no problems with GNOME on Solaris 2.6/Sparc...

I just took a look at the list of prerequisite libs GNOME needs and gave
up for the moment.  It's daunting.

  to> If I have understood the gnome/kde support correctly, we won't
  to> link to any libs, just setting some X-properties here and there as
  to> communication.. (correct?)

I expect so, although I don't know for sure.  But libraries really
aren't the issue: in order to get the dependency info for the file you
need to be able to compile it (since it's GCC that creates that info).
If you can't compile a file, you can't construct the right Makefile.in
dependency info during the make dist phase.

If all the GNOME/KDE stuff is inserted into other files, it should be
OK, but if there are files like "gnome.c" that can be compiled only on
systems that have GNOME, then we won't really be able to generate
dependency info on non-GNOME systems.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:17:18 -0500

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 10:49:10PM +0100, Tomas Ogren wrote:

> > I know those are _supposed_ to build on anything, but I've had no
> > luck getting KDE to compile on my Solaris system and compiling GNOME
> > looks like a nightmare, with all those prerequisite libraries...
>
> > Even so, requiring gtk in order to create dists seems a bit steep.
> > If we do, we do, and we should document it.
>

I'd have to agree with Paul here I've started three times now at trying
to build all the prerequisites libraries for GNOME and gave up (the
first time I ran out of diskspace on a 1 gig disk, yikes!!!).

granted building gtk isn't as bad, you have to have gimp, eventhough
the current stuff doesn't playy nice with an 8-bit display anymore (but
problem not yours).

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:51:44 -0500 (EST)

> or similar?  I dunno, seems like it'd be easier.

Yes, the current optional-library stuff is horrible.  

I'm not sure whether I like what you suggest, or whether to just leave it
up to people to set CFLAGS before configuring.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Istanbul was Constantinople,
now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople.
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'!