Subject: ClickToFocus has grown too strict

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:40:24 -0500

In the CVS code as of last night (I hadn't updated in several days),
newly-created ClickToFocus windows fail to get the focus automatically
*if* there is already a window on the same page that has focus. Has
anybody else been noticing this lately?

	If the currently focused window is on another page, the focus transfer
behaves normally.

- Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 01:22:30 +0100

> 	If the currently focused window is on another page, the focus transfer

Because of the many complaints I've created another style that
allows to configure this. The default has changed so that the
focus is not grabbed by new clicktofocus windows. The style to use
is

  Style * ClickToFocus, GrabFocus

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:21:37 -0500

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> focus is not grabbed by new clicktofocus windows.

	But I never complained....  :-)

	I remember seeing that change fly by, butI didn't notice that you'd
changed the default. Thanks. Now to try to catch up with the "setup
change" thread....

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:46:09 +0100

> changed the default. Thanks. Now to try to catch up with the "setup

Well, if many people like the old behaviour I can easily chnge the default.
What do you think?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:23:52 +0000

>   Style * ClickToFocus, GrabFocus

Not that I use ClickToFocus but on the principle of least suprise
shouldn't the default be the old behaviour and the fix for complaints be 

Style * GrabFocusOff

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:45:21 +0100

> shouldn't the default be the old behaviour and the fix for complaints be 

Well, that depends on how many people will dislike the change. If most
are happy with the change the new default is probably okay. In the end
the question is how we can make more people happy. Wouldn't people who
dislike the new behaviour ask what has happened? Probably more often
than new users would try to find out how to turn it off. Or am I
totally wrong here? I don't care myself what the default is. Any
votes which one to use?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:25:21 -0500

> Well, if many people like the old behaviour I can easily chnge

	After playing with this for a bit, I see a bit of a problem with it.
When you pop up a transient - like a string search dialogue in your
favorite editor - you usually expect it to get focus automatically. But
with this change, it doesn't, and you find yourself typing the search
string into the file you're editing.

	Any thoughts on whether transients should automatically get focus,
regardless of the GrabFocus setting?

	As to the default, I'm inclined to agree with Tim on the principle of
least surprise.

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:31:42 +0100

> regardless of the GrabFocus setting?

I'm living with this for ages now (Sloppy Focus). There should be
another global or style option that allows to set this for mouse
and sloppy focus too.

> 	As to the default, I'm inclined to agree with Tim on the principle of

I've just checked cde's dtwm. It also grabs the focus.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:52:55 +0000

> another global or style option that allows to set this for mouse

Suffer no longer. You can fix this with FvwmEvent with the PassID config
option and a functions called on add_window events:

AddToFunc map_event I WindowId $0 (Transient) your_focus_and_warp_func

It's not perfect, that would mean checking that the transient is a
transient of the current window, but most of the time transients don't
just pop up from nowhere.

Cheers,
Tim.