Subject: 2.1.11 uploaded

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:24:20 -0500 (EST)

2.1.11 is in the incoming area.

So... we should assume this is it, right? :)

I think the thing to concentrate on now is any documentation issues.

Jason; I know the initial DNS changes for fvwm.org are done but you said
you might want to change things around some more: is that still TBD, or
should we start changing the CVS, FTP, and email addresses to the new
domain in the docs, etc.?

What else?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Feb 1999 12:33:18 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> 2.1.11 is in the incoming area.

It's now in version-2/testing.

PDS> I think the thing to concentrate on now is any documentation issues.

Yes.  Let's go ahead and change everything over to point to
(cvs|ftp|www).fvwm.org; these should be working now (thanks, Jay).  I still
have some movement I want to do, mainly switching to a Linux machine
instead of this Digital machine that, while free, running at 266MHz and
having 256MB of RAM, is rather disappointing performance-wise.  I've also
gotten used to the extreme ease of working with Linux.  But that's neither
here nor there, and nobody but me should have to worry about it.

One important thing: when giving instructions for the mailing lists, it's
best to use the -request addresses instead of [email-masked].
Relying on the central address makes a few things more difficult.

I'd also like to give the web pages a going-over before the true release
time.  The Links page especially needs some serious work.  If you know of
links that need to be added (at least fvwm.themes.org and the fvwm2gnome
site) please say so.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:37:55 +0100

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:33:18PM -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
> (cvs|ftp|www).fvwm.org; these should be working now (thanks, Jay)...

Jason, could you write a summary of what exactly has changed and
post it to the mailing lists? I think not too many people have
followed this.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 02 Feb 1999 14:16:36 -0500

Quite simple, really:

Web site is now:

    http://www.fvwm.org/

FTP site is now:

    ftp.fvwm.org

Mailing lists are now:

    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]   (?)

CVS server is now:

    cvs.fvwm.org

In other words, throw out all the various uh.edu addresses and replace
them with fvwm.org.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Feb 1999 13:26:48 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Jason, could you write a summary of what exactly has changed and post
DV> it to the mailing lists? I think not too many people have followed
DV> this.

Basically, there is an address at fvwm.org for everything:

cvs.fvwm.org - CVS server (points to cvs.hpc.uh.edu for now)
www.fvwm.org - same as fvwm.math.uh.edu
ftp.fvwm.org - points to ftp.hpc.uh.edu for now

The mailing lists:
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

The mailing list -request addresses:
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Subscription instructions:

Send "subscribe" in the body of a message to one of the request addresses
above.

All of the other hostnames and addresses still work, at least for the time
being.

 - J<

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:30:26 +0100

> [email-masked]

[email-masked] you mean...

> [email-masked]

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:47:26 -0500 (EST)

On 2 Feb 1999, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

: >>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
: 
: DV> Jason, could you write a summary of what exactly has changed and post
: DV> it to the mailing lists? I think not too many people have followed
: DV> this.
: 
: Basically, there is an address at fvwm.org for everything:
: 
: www.fvwm.org - same as fvwm.math.uh.edu

Can "http://fvwm.org" be configured to point to the same page as
"http://www.fvwm.org" instead of the index into the ftp area.

Thanks,
Randall

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Feb 1999 15:38:00 -0600

>>>>> "RSW" == Randall S Winchester <[email-masked]> writes:

RSW> Can "http://fvwm.org" be configured to point to the same page as
RSW> "http://www.fvwm.org" instead of the index into the ftp area.

Yes.

 - J<

---

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 17:24:00 -0500

> I think the thing to concentrate on now is any documentation issues.

One thing i see right away is that the web site is stale.

* The news/change log page is only up to 2.1.8

* The links page has many dead links. (near 50% ??)

* Also, if all of "Bob Woodside's Miscellaneous patches" have been
applied, then I'd (temporarily) remove or demote his link because his
page is also out of date. (no offense intended).

* For the links page I'd suggest adding these links:

(give fvwm.themes.org a more prominent position on the page)

(good)
The FVWM Basics Page
http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~imc/fvwm.html

(great)
Icon Store
http://nether.tky.hut.fi/iconstore/

(???)
Fvwm manual written in japanese (v. 1.2)
http://www-b1.is.tokushima-u.ac.jp/~tsueike/doc/fvwm.html

(ok)
FVWM Samples
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/Graham.Williams/xwindows/fvwm.samples.html

(good config example)
My (AJ Weaver) fvwm configuration
http://neural-server.aston.ac.uk/~weaveraj/fvwm.html

(good?)
FVWM Configuration Help & Samples
http://www.fastlane.net/~sdboyd/index.shtml

~p@

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Feb 1999 23:42:27 -0600

>>>>> "PR" == Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]> writes:

PR> * The news/change log page is only up to 2.1.8

Ummm, look at 2.1.10, that's exactly what's in the NEWS file.  I keep the
pages updated with whatever is in the distribution when it is released.

PR> * For the links page I'd suggest adding these links:

Thanks, I'll look into adding them.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:09:22 +0100

> pages updated with whatever is in the distribution when it is released.

Yup, there was nothing new int 2.1.9 and 2.1.10 so nobody created
the headers in the NEWS file.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 03 Feb 1999 16:55:14 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> Ummm, look at 2.1.10, that's exactly what's in the NEWS file.  I
  >> keep the pages updated with whatever is in the distribution when it
  >> is released.

  dv> Yup, there was nothing new int 2.1.9 and 2.1.10 so nobody created
  dv> the headers in the NEWS file.

Right.

The thing to remember is that the NEWS file contains only _user-visible_
changes.  It doesn't contain info about every bug fix, etc.  I guess the
line can sometimes be fuzzy (is a bug fix user-visible?).

The ChangeLog file contains the full details about all changes to the
source.