Subject: ClickToFocus + "Application Window" Key Bindings = Confusion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:40:58 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Larry Gensch
Version: 2.1.11
CVS_Date: 
OS: Digital Unix 5.0 (prerelease)
X_Server: X11R6.3
Submission from: (NULL) (192.208.46.245)

The following key binding:

Key F4		W	M	Close

I take this to mean, when Meta-F4 is pressed in an application
window, a WM-generated "close" function should be executed.

Alas, this does not always work with ClickToFocus.

When a new window appears, despite my having ClickToFocus set,
the new window automatically gets the keyboard focus.  While this
is in and of itself problematical, I have gotten used to it.
Anyway, normal key events are passed to the application as expected.
However, if I press Meta-F4, the window does NOT close.

To get the window to close, I need to "click" in the window
(which ALREADY has the keyboard focus!) and THEN press Meta-F4.

An example with Netscape (again, using ClickToFocus and the Key
binding shown above):

1.  Hit mouse button two to open a link in a new window.
2.  Notice that the new window has the keyboard focus:  PageDown
    will scroll down the page; PageUp will scroll up.  Cursor
    keys also work.
3.  Hit Meta-F4 (Key binding for Close) -- notice that nothing
    happens.
4.  Click the mouse somewhere in that new window (which ALREADY
    has the focus).
5.  Now press Meta-F4.  Window closes.

Now, I don't expect this to be fixed in 2.1.x or 2.2, but I would
like to see this fixed in a future release, as it seems that Fvwm's
idea of which window has the focus is inconsistent.

One of the following should happen:

1.  ClickToFocus should either ignore new windows unless I click on
    them.  This means that ClickToFocus will only focus on windows
    after you click on them.  (ClickToFocusRequiresClick?)

2.  ClickToFocus should give focus to new windows and ALSO process
    Key bindings for the application window that has the focus.
    (ClickToFocusFocusesOnNewWindows?)

I can accept either of these behaviors, and I'd like it even more if I
could decide for myself which of these behaviors happens.

But the current behavior of giving a window keyboard focus, but at the
same time not accepting Key bindings for the application window is
totally confusing and is, in my opinion, a serious bug.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].