Subject: Re: Public archive distributions

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:07:16 -0500 (EST)

[email-masked] (Paul D. Smith) wrote:
>
> Sunsite Linux is (IMO) less important: _most_ people use RPM or DEB
> packages these days, it seems to me.

	I think quite a few people do as I do, and monitor what's showing
up in Incoming, particularly those who don't mind building from source.
For binaries, I think you're probably right. So, I'll add Red Hat and Debian
to the list. Austin Donnelly is a long-time list follower/contributor, and
he's the fvwm package maintainer for Debian; so I imagine they'll have an
up to date package pretty quickly.

	I have no idea who the Red Hat package maintainers are, but I'll
look into it. I will, that is, if their contrib machine's response picks
up a bit from what it was this afternoon. Dominik, did we actually make
any headway in establishing relations with those folks when you finally
got your hands on their famous bug fix patches?

	I also put Patrick Volkerding on the list. I suspect that notifying
the various Linux packagers is more of a courtesy than a necessity, though.
I think they'll notice as soon as Jason posts a notice to Freshmeat.

> We should keep track of all the places and people we need to contact and
> write it down in a file in the tree, so we don't forget it.

	I'm makin' a list, and checkin' it twice.... This sort of thing,
I think, argues for having something like the old archive directory, that
would be in the CVS tree, but not included in the build tarballs.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Feb 1999 22:22:35 -0500

>> write it down in a file in the tree, so we don't forget it.

  bw> 	I'm makin' a list, and checkin' it twice.... This sort of thing,
  bw> I think, argues for having something like the old archive
  bw> directory, that would be in the CVS tree, but not included in the
  bw> build tarballs.

I'm not sure we need a whole different directory for that; any files not
listed in the appropriate variables in the respective Makefile.am won't
go into the dist tarball...

  docs/Makefile.am:

  EXTRA_DIST = ANNOUNCE BUGS DEVELOPERS FAQ TODO Y2K-Compliance \
          color_combos error_codes fvwm-2.xx.lsm fvwm.lsm	\
          m4_hacks black-stone1.jpg fvwm.gif fvwm_smaller.gif	\
          run_man2html.sh txt2html.sh $(HTML)

Anything you don't put in this list, won't show up...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:46:27 -0500 (EST)

> go into the dist tarball...

	Sounds good enough to me.

- Bob

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:01:21 -0800

Previously...
>got your hands on their famous bug fix patches?

Well, hope you didn't spend any time looking, since here's the info:

Aron Griffis <[email-masked]> did the 2.1.x contribs, though
RedHat has someone doing the one's they distribute. RedHat's packager
is most recently Cristian Gafton <[email-masked]>.

>I think they'll notice as soon as Jason posts a notice to Freshmeat.

Wouldn't be so sure, taking into account that 2.1.x has been packaged
and contrib'd by a 3rd party.
-- 
[email-masked]
Beans are neither fruit nor musical
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:53:29 -0500 (EST)

> would be in the CVS tree, but not included in the build tarballs.

Uh, what is wrong with distributing such a file?

Sure, 99.999% of the people won't care about it, but there's always the
chance that someone who just got the tarball would send us a correction or
addition to the list.

More importantly, it is just less work all around if the tarball coincides
with the CVS tree.  Why make them differ??

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Too cool to live -- too smart to die.