Subject: "FVWMStyle" needed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:06:57 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Paul Smith
Version: 2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: Solaris 2.5.1/Linux 2.2.1
X_Server: OpenWin/XFree86
Submission from: (NULL) (192.32.171.157)
Submitted by: psmith

This came up on the worker's list in reference to FvwmForm a few months
ago.  I wanted to get it written down so we wouldn't forget it.

Something that I think would be a great help for simplifying configuration
of FVWM and giving it a professional, consistent look is the need for
a "global style"; I call it FVWMStyle.  There would be only one, and it's
not immediately clear exactly what kind of options it would have.

_Ceertainly_ it would have at least a foreground color, background color,
and font.  Maybe there would be some kind of "highlight color", maybe
a pixmap tile or gradient.  Maybe some other stuff.

The idea would be that fvwm itself and _all_ its modules would use these
style values wherever possible, unless the user overrode them explicitly.
So, for example, all the modules would use the same foreground,
background,
and font--and this is trivially changed just by changing the global
FVWMStyle.

Obviously all the modules would keep their individual configuration
options; this would in effect replace all the "default" values currently
hardcoded in various modules, and make it easy to create a unified
"theme" to the desktop, at least on a very basic level.  We may need some
new module operations or module command-line options.

There're lots of places to go with this (maybe we _do_ want multiple
"global styles", then you can say this FvwmForm, FvwmWinList, and set
of menus should use one "global style", while these should use another,
for example), but I wanted to get it written down so people can start
thinking about it.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].