Subject: Re: List of Debian FVWM bugs

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:21:24 -0500 (EST)

Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> spouted the following drivel:
> Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]> may or may not have written:
> 
> >  jg> 20444  Restarting fvwm seems to shift some windows slightly
pds> > Good lord, I hope this is fixed but I suspect there may still be
pds> > some shifting probs lurking :(.
bw> 	There are. Position the pager exactly in the lower right hand
bw>  corner of the screen, do a few restarts, and watch it wander upward
bw>  and leftward.  :-(

	This, of course, is nonsense. The pager can't wander on a
restart, since it's killed and a new one is spawned. It's misplaced
initially, with a geometry of -0-0 or -1-1. I've been ignoring this
quirk for so long that I automatically drag it into place without
thinking. I'd just done a restart shortly before I wrote that, and the
image of a seemingly wandering window was fresh in my mind.

	So, there may be some shifting problems lurking, but I don't
know of any. In any case, the one that prompted this bug report in
the first place has probably been corrected.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:37:52 +0000

> the first place has probably been corrected.

This got me thinking that maybe the pager shifting wasn't on restart but
on recapture.  Good news is that it isn't the pager misbehaving, bad
news is that recapture and restart shift north-west gravity windows up
and left by one pixel.  It happens to both MWMBorder and FvwmBorder
styles so it's not the dreaded ->bw and it only happens once. It feels
like something in the uncapturing logic is getting the screen size wrong
by one, or it could be in the initial capture logic as if you move the
window back to the edge after a recapture has shifted it it then stays
put after another recapture.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:16:51 +0000

> put after another recapture.

Nothing to do with the screen size, it's the border width of the client
that is stashed as ->old_bw that is causing the wander on recapture. 
Try xclock -borderwidth 20 followed by Recapture.  I think it's
something in misc.c/RestoreWithdrawnLocation() that's going wrong.

Cheers,
Tim.