Subject: StartsOnPage without flipping pages?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:43:14 +0100

I wonder if it's possible to start an application on a
different page/desk *without* moving the viewport to this
new page. At the moment I don't think fvwm2 is able to do
so. Is this doable at all? Or do some applications always
require to start on a visible page?

The setup I use is this: On page 0 0 I do all the work. When
I begin a PPP session I usually start a large mutt window on
page 0 1 and sometimes a netscape window on 1 0. To supervise
PPP startup I have to return to page 0 0 however. I'd like to
run mutt and netscape in the background and flip pages
manually when the connection is up.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:21:00 -0500 (EST)

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> new page.

	Add SkipMapping to the style for whichever app you want
to do this with. For your example, starting Netscape like so:

Style "Netscape*"    SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 1 0

will start Netscape on page 1,0 of the current desktop without
forcing a viewport switch.

	I tend to group a lot of related things on a specific
desktop. For example, communications stuff goes on desk 1, so
I start Netscape this way

Style "Netscape*"    SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 1 1 1

to fire it up on page 1,1 of desk 1, without interrupting whatever
I'm in the middle of doing somewhere else.

- Bob

---

From: Johan Bengtsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:42:35 +0100 (CET)

> require to start on a visible page?

I use StartsOnDesk in conjunction with SkipMapping to achieve
something like that.

	/ Johan

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:54:46 +0100

> forcing a viewport switch.

OK, now that I know how it is called I can find it in the manpage.
I wouldn't have seen it even if I knew where to start looking. I
think in the future we really have to have better documentation.
'SkipMapping' has a certain logic if you already know it, but to
the novice (like me in this case) it means nothing.

Should we create a 'fvwm2-howto' with lots of examples how to
configure all these nifty features?

Bye

Dominik