Subject: Key binding problem, 2.1.6+

From: Lee Skinol <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Feb 99 22:05:40 EDT

->On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 02:39:46AM -0400, Lee Skinol wrote:
->> This worked in 2.1.5, but stopped in 2.1.6 and above.  It may
->> be a bug.
->>
->> Key KP_7 A M do-something

->Please try this with 2.1.6 but replace fvwm/bindngs.c with the
->file from 2.1.5. Does this work?

Dominik,

Yes, with the 2.1.5 bindings.c, it works.

Lee
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:28:26 +0100

> Yes, with the 2.1.5 bindings.c, it works.

Huh? Now I'm really confused. Perhaps you could help me here
(since none of the maintainers sees this problem). What I ask
you to do is in no way trivial and required some experience
in C programming and debugging:

What I need is to know where the differences between the two
bindings.c versions are (not the diffs of course). The function
ParseBindEntry has changed. It seems that the 2.1.6 file does
not bind the same keys as the 2.1.5 file. I don't know why.
The set of bindings in 2.1.6 should be a super set of 2.1.5.

So, could you step into both versions with a debugger and see
what they do? This is harder than it sounds, so here are a few
hints:

- use a .fvwm2rc with only the binding line
- attaching the debugger to fvwm2 is a bit tricky (since as
  soon as it runs into a breakpoint you can't use your desktop
  anymore).

  Possible solutions:

    - run ther XNest X server with another display number and
      run fvwm2 on this display from your original display
    - start a second X server on a different display

I am interested in ther information that is stored in the
bindings (about last thirty lines of ParseBindEntry).

----

Parallel to this, could anybody look at bindings.c and tell
me what I'm doing wrong? I've looked over it again and again
and can't see the bug.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:04:01 +0100

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 08:01:15AM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> Dominik,  isn't  this  the     2.1.7  modifier  problem?    The   only
> inconsistency I see is the report is against 2.1.6 instead of 2.1.7.

No, that was something different. This one was in events.c. 2.1.6
has the reported bug and it goes away when he replaces bindings.c
with the one from 2.1.5.

Bye

Dominik