Subject: Version after 2.2?

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:52:21 +0000 (GMT)

Is the thought to number the version after 2.2 as 2.2.1 or 2.3?  The
latter doesn't sound very sensible -- it would represent a jump from a
three-part numbering scheme to a two-part one -- most confusing.

And if the next release (patches to 2.2?) will be 2.2.1, then it
hardly matters if the version number is 2.2.0 or 2.2, I would guess.

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 21 Feb 1999 00:39:09 -0500

%% [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey) writes:

  jg> Is the thought to number the version after 2.2 as 2.2.1 or 2.3?
  jg> The latter doesn't sound very sensible -- it would represent a
  jg> jump from a three-part numbering scheme to a two-part one -- most
  jg> confusing.

  jg> And if the next release (patches to 2.2?) will be 2.2.1, then it
  jg> hardly matters if the version number is 2.2.0 or 2.2, I would guess.

Any critical bugs in 2.2 that need to be fixed will be made in an
official release 2.2.1 (and 2.2.2, etc., if necessary).

In the meantime, development versions for the next real release will be
made as 2.3.0, 2.3.1, 2.3.2, etc.

The next official full release after 2.2 will be 2.4.

Essentially, we're following a common release numbering scheme
introduced by Linux, where odd-numbered versions are development
versions and even numbered versions are released stable versions.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].