Subject: Logos

From: [email-masked] (Fabien Villard)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:14:53 +0100

Hello all.
	Ok, here are the 3 little pixmaps I drew the other night. They are just 
quick job but I can modify them according to your suggestions.
	Fab.

Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="LogoFvwm.zip"

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 08:23:33 -0500 (EST)

Here's the one my friend made...  Someone else suggested a logo
contest...I think its a great idea... anyone else think so?

http://www.oneway.com/jay/fvwm-thing.gif

Thoughts?

Jay

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:54:52 -0500

> contest...I think its a great idea... anyone else think so?

Hmm...Will we give away a free copy of fvwm2?

> http://www.oneway.com/jay/fvwm-thing.gif

I like the image.  I propose to give it a transparent background, save
it as an Xpm, and add it to the distribution as fvwmcat_big.xpm.  (The
"_big"  seems to be  our   current convention for FvwmBanner  images.)
Comments?

Fabien's 3 images  gave me some  extraction problems  (I using XEmacs,
MH-E, and TM).  By editing the mail a little I was  able to extract 3
images:

  -rw-r--r--   1 dane  18895 Feb  2 14:35 LogoFvwm1.xpm
  -rw-r--r--   1 dane  18935 Feb  2 14:53 LogoFvwm2.xpm
  -rw-r--r--   1 dane  13834 Feb  2 15:11 LogoFvwm3.xpm

LogoFvwm1.xpm is a horizontal FVWM in blue on gray, western style text.
LogoFvwm2.xpm is a vertical FVWM in wood pattern, plain text.
LogoFvwm3.xpm is a vertical FVWM in brown on tan, stenciled text.

The first 2 are quite large, owing to using 2 characters per color and
200+ colors.

I'm not sure what the first one is for, I thought this was in response
to the "side pixmap" proposal.  I like the  blue color.  (I know I can
rotate it with xv.)

They all seem like good candidates for side pixmaps, although I'd like
to cut the file size a bit.

The names I suggest are:

side.fvwm-western.xpm
side.fvwm-wood.xpm
side.fvwm-military.xpm

I'd like to see one with "fvwm2" rather than just "fvwm".

I think for people that customize fvwm2 to look like that other thing,
we should have one with a  gradient background.  I  have access to NT,
and  it uses a gradient with  black at the top, to  blue on the bottom
and non-serifed white text.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:22:16 -0500

> http://www.oneway.com/jay/fvwm-thing.gif

I got the cat to  go from 117K  to 59K by editing  the bytes per pixel
down to 2.  When I change the background  color to None, this leaves a
fuzzy white  border around  the image.  I  know  I can repair  it with
gimp, but I wonder if your friend has some easy way to clean this up?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:42:58 +0100

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 10:14:53AM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> UEsDBBQAAgAIAG+kQiaVvXglHRMAAM9JAAANABAATG9nb0Z2d20xLnhwbVVYDAAGXLc2gVO3
> NgAAAADtWmtTI0eyvZ/9KxSub47bbT27Ja/Xa8HAABLvlxDeZarULRAgxEMICWbw24CHh8H4
> ...

How can I read these? This looks as if the file was uuencoded, but there's
no header. It's definitely no zip archive snd I got no attachment.

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:47:00 -0500

Jay, the only thing i see wrong with your friends logo is that they
forgot the "2" :)  I'm going to be greedy and ask if you can post the
.xcf or .psd  or whatever file that image came from.  It's a great
design. 

If there are multiple people interested in creating a new logo, perhaps
we could hold a contest like many other programs (and wm's) have? (I
guess someone already suggested this?)

** Mmmaybe the guys at http://contest.gimp.org/ would take care of the
submissions for us?  Someone more official than I want to contact them? 

I'm sure any number of us could whip up Perl apps to do the job of
displaying entries and even taking votes, but it'd be nice to do it in
an established public forum.  Getting a front page blurb on themes.org
would be sweet.  

Remember, it's an easy way to get more people to look at or think about
FVWM2.  It's a public event we can advertise.

Later,
~p@

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:52:09 +0100

> submissions for us?  Someone more official than I want to contact them? 

Ehm, a member of the fvwm workers list is official enough in my eyes.
You can be sure to have my support. You could say that you speak for
the fvwm workers list.

> FVWM2.  It's a public event we can advertise.

Your ideas are good and I'd be happy if we can enlist you to do
some of the things you suggest.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Feb 1999 10:23:53 -0500

>> NgAAAADtWmtTI0eyvZ/9KxSub47bbT27Ja/Xa8HAABLvlxDeZarULRAgxEMICWbw24CHh8H4

  dv> How can I read these? This looks as if the file was uuencoded, but
  dv> there's no header. It's definitely no zip archive snd I got no
  dv> attachment.

Yes, the MIME is busted in this message.  But check the
Transfer-Encoding; it's base64 encoded (that's the new standard in MIME,
replacing uuencoding; it gives a more compact encoding).

I had to cut/paste it to a file and run a base64 decoding program on it
by hand, then use unzip (not gzip).

All in all, not the most straightforward message for us UNIX types :)
But, thanks for sending them!

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:32:18 +0100

> I had to cut/paste it to a file and run a base64 decoding program on it
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And what would hat program be?

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:40:24 -0500

> > I had to cut/paste it to a file and run a base64 decoding program on it

Thats "mimencode -u", part of metamail from ... Bellcore.

I did correctly post the images to the list.  About an hour ago.
Are we getting sporadic mail delays?

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Feb 1999 10:42:20 -0500

I got mine to use with Emacs VM, from:

  ftp://ftp.uu.net/networking/mail/vm/

There are many tools you can use; any MIME-capable mailer will come with
one either builtin or as a separate program.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:46:38 -0500 (EST)

>> I had to cut/paste it to a file and run a base64 decoding program on it

uudeview does a pretty good job.

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

       "I suggest a new strategy, R2:  Let the Wookiee win." -- C-3PO

---

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:09:25 -0500 (EST)

> gimp, but I wonder if your friend has some easy way to clean this up?

	I talked with her a little while ago and she is willing to do
some clean up and add the '2' as patrick suggested.  It will probably be
this evening though.

Jay

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:48:58 -0500

> no header. It's definitely no zip archive snd I got no attachment.

They aren't attached right.  I did some hand  editing to get them out.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Feb 1999 12:56:22 -0600

>>>>> "PR" == Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]> writes:

PR> ** Mmmaybe the guys at http://contest.gimp.org/ would take care of the
PR> submissions for us?  Someone more official than I want to contact them?

I have a feeling that if someone just asked Tigert, he/she/it would be
happy to do a logo.  Tigert seems to like making FVWM pretty.

 - J<

---

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:57:17 -0500

I must not be part of the *In Crowd*, cause I'm not on a user name basis
with Tigert. :)

Will someone please ask Tigert, then...

(I'd also like to submit my own logos, that's why i suggested a
contest...)

~p@

-- 

Patrick Rogan
-----------------------------------
Systems Engineer

Lycos, Inc.
1 Oxford Centre
301 Grant Street, Suite 525
Pittsburgh, PA   15219-1408
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:12:34 -0500 (EST)

> (I'd also like to submit my own logos, that's why i suggested a

	How about just getting a few together and letting the list
decide? 

Jay

---

From: Patrick Rogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:27:43 -0500

A contest gives us a little publicity.  I said before, it looks like
everyone's excited about E and Windowmaker right now.

The number of dead links to fvwm pages is alarming to me, at least.

~p@

-- 

Patrick Rogan

Lycos, Inc.
1 Oxford Centre

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:36:08 +0100

> 	How about just getting a few together and letting the list

I forwarded these last mails about tigert to him.. His response when I
said "You have to draw a new logo" was: "EEEK" ...

Let's see if Tuomas paints something pretty... (I know he's very busy,
but he has been an fvwm2-fanatic for quite a while, now switched to
wmaker tho..)

He usually hangs around on #gimp on gimpnet (as I do too)
(http://www.rru.com/~meo/gimp/faq-user.html#irc)

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].