Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: FVWM: Lost key bindings in 2.1.10]

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:51:08 +0100

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:44:19 +0000
Subject: Re: FVWM: Lost key bindings in 2.1.10
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> >   As of 2.1.10 (possibly - I know it worked in 2.1.5, nor sure about the
> > in-betweenies) my Meta+{Home/End/PageUp/PageDown} below have stopped
> > working. The up/down/left/right ones work OK.
> 
> We've had some reports about key bindings, but we couldn't
> reproduce them and the reporters were unwilling to cooperate
> with us so we don't know if our fixes work. Please try to
> answer these questions:

  Okey-doke. I'll send this just back to you; you can repost to -workers
if it's useful.

> 1) Which OS do you have?

  Sparc/Solari-s2.4

> 2) Which XServer?

  Sun's - erm, then one that came with Solaris.

> 3) Which compiler?

  gcc 2.7.2

> 4) Does it work if you press num-lock first?

  ?  Hang on ... oh, I see. No, it doesn't. (default for me is num-lock
off)

> 5) Does it work if you replace the '1' with 'M' (or whatever
>    is the correct modifier)?

  I keep thinking M = Alt (not Sun Meta) on my keyboard. I'll try  ... 
yes, it does!

> 6) Does it work after you restart fvwm?

  ?  hang on.  Yup, works after restarting from a '1' to a '1' setting
(IYSWIM).

> 7) Do you use SloppyFocus?

  Indeed.

> 8) Does it work with MouseFocus?

  Gack. Can't really anwer that without logging out, since it works after
Restart.

> 9) Does it work with ClickToFocus?

  Ditto.

> 10) If you use sloppy focus, try this while no window is focused
>     (just close the window with the focus and make sure the mouse
>      does not move into another window).

  I'm going to have to log out, aren't I :)

> 11) Could you post all your key/mouse binding lines from your
>     .fvwm2rc (or better the complete file)?

  Will if you want; 'cept I've split the thing into little bits. I'll
attach the lot!

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 332 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-125 days! ]

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:07:50 +0100

My mailer didn't forward Neil's .fvwm2rc, so here we go.

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 02 Feb 1999 13:28:13 -0500

>> 1) Which OS do you have?

  dv>   Sparc/Solari-s2.4

Ouch.

  >> 2) Which XServer?

  dv>   Sun's - erm, then one that came with Solaris.

Double ouch!  I think there are a large number of patches to Openwindows
for Solaris 2.4 (boy, that's old! :).  No idea if this is one of them.

  >> is the correct modifier)?

  dv>   I keep thinking M = Alt (not Sun Meta) on my keyboard. I'll try  ... 
  dv> yes, it does!

On a "normal" Sun type5 keyboard, the X server treats the key marked
"Alt" as the Alt modifier (I think it's also mod4).

The key with the diamond on it right next to the space bar is the Meta
key.  That responds when I use "M" as the modifier.  Using "1" didn't
work for me.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:13:46 +0100

>   Okey-doke. I'll send this just back to you; you can repost to -workers

I don't have this problem on my machine with your setup
(Linux with XFree) :(

>   ?  hang on.  Yup, works after restarting from a '1' to a '1' setting

This is the only hint we have. How is your fvwm2 started? This
looks as if the modifiers were changed after fvwm2 has been
started. Can you look at what happens when X is started for the
first time? Is there an xmodmap somewhere? In xinitrc/.xinitrc?

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 02:26:18 +0100

Bye

Dominik