Subject: fvwm2 man page needs extensive rewrite

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:52:58 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Paul Smith
Version: 2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: Solaris 2.5.1/Linux 2.2.1
X_Server: OpenWin/XFree86
Submission from: (NULL) (192.32.171.157)
Submitted by: psmith

1        0         0         0         0         0         0         70
Recently we were discussing the organization of the fvwm2.1 man page,
ensuring that the commands were correctly listed alphabetically.

I've been thinking about this, and I think this is a bad way to structure
the fvwm2 man page, and it should be reworked completely.

As it is, it's much too confusing and difficult to find the things you
need.  The commands aren't named such that they naturally group together
the way you'd like (and why should they be?)  For example, the menu
handing commands AddToMenu, DestroyMenu, MenuStyle, ChangeMenuStyle, Menu,
and Popup (?) are scattered all over the place.  Searching man pages is
usually a tedious process of text-based search, and it can take a while.

I think the man page should be rewritten to organize the config commands
into related _sections_.  For example, we can have a section "MENUS" that
introduces the concept of menus, describes how to create/destroy them,
introduces the idea of a menu style and describes how to manage and apply
them.  We also could have sections on "WINDOW DECORATION", "MOUSE/KEY
BINDING",
"RUNNING PROGRAMS/MODULES", etc.  I don't know all the best categories and
some things will be hard to categorize; we'll definitely need a few
iterations.
And probably a "MISC" category :).

But, I think an arrangement like this would make it significantly easier
for
users to understand and create configuration files.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].