Subject: Re: List of Debian FVWM bugs

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:18:12 -0500

Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]> wrote:

jdg>>>  8954  FvwmPager should allow windows to be moved in it => 
jdg>>>        windows moving in main window.

BW>>  I think this is the old request to have the pager window icon
BW>>  updated in real time as you drag the window that it represents
BW>>  on the desktop.

MC>  This "feature" is not possible with the pager being an external
MC>  program since fvwm has a grab on the server while it moves the
MC>  window. It may have been possible some time, when the pager was a
MC>  part of fvwm proper.

	Now it's coming back to me. There used to be two pagers, way back in
the latter days of version 1: an internal one, that only showed the
current desktop, and did the real time movement tracking, and the
FvwmPager module (which didn't, for the same reason it doesn't today).

	I don't know when the internal Pager command was dropped, but it was
long ago. The answer to this one is that the feature is not supportable
within FVWM's current architecture.

- Bob
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:42:29 +0000

> within FVWM's current architecture.

Ahem. Not only is it possible, it is in the latest CVS, but only for
opaque moves (and AnimatedMove's just for fun). You are right that it's
impossible with rubberband windows. We could ungrab the server between
undrawing the rubberband and redrawing it and assume the XServer will
let the pager catch up but I don't think it's worth it.  With rubberband
moves the window stays put until the end of the move and this is what
the pager displays.

Cheers,
Tim.