Subject: Java and icon names

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:11:50 -0800

I've been having a problem with a program being written in java 1.1, having
to do with setting the icon name.  I've attached a sample java program
which displays the problem.

I'm not sure whether it's a problem with java, with fvwm, or with the
interaction between the two, so before I report a bug in java, I wanted
some input on the problem.  I've also only tested this on Solaris 2.7;
haven't yet run the sample program on my linux box.

Java has no provision for setting the icon name separately from the title.
They're both done via the setTitle() method on the frame.  This works just
fine if the method is called before the window is mapped.  After mapping,
however, fvwm seems to only recognize the setting of the title, not the
icon name.

Using xev, I see the following when the method is called:

    PropertyNotify event, serial 10, synthetic NO, window 0x6c00022,
    atom 0x27 (WM_NAME), time 159708856, state PropertyNewValue

I do not see a WM_ICON_NAME PropertyNotify event, however.  The underlying
call in the AWT code is

    XtVaSetValues(wdata->winData.shell,
                  XmNtitle, text_prop.value,
                  XmNtitleEncoding, text_prop.encoding,
                  XmNiconName, text_prop.value,
                  XmNiconNameEncoding, text_prop.encoding,
                  XmNname, ctitle,
                  NULL);

Where text_prop is the text property created from the string array of which
ctitle is the first element (fairly straightforward, as far as I can see).
XmN* is #define'd to be XtN*, according to Xm/XmStrDefs.h.

Unfortunately, fvwm never seems to find out that the icon name has been
changed.  I don't know if the PropertyNotify event was just never sent or
what, but the icon name in the pager, or in FvwmIdent, stays as it had
been, while the title changes.

This does not happen under dtwm -- the name underneath the icon changes
just fine.

Can anyone shed light as to what's going on here?  What program, if any, is
at fault?

Many thanks,
Danek
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:29:24 -0500

> Can anyone shed light as to what's going on here?  What program, if any, is

To test icon and title changes, I have the following in my .kshrc:

  function shdr	{		# changes screen title
    print -n '\033]2;'$*'\07'
  }
  function setlabel {		# changes "icon name"
    print -n '\033]1;'$*'\07'
  }

I can then do "setlabel xxx" or "shdr yyy" in rxvt or xterm.
Both work fine under fvwm2.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].