Subject: FvwmConsole won't build under Linux 2.2.1

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:12:39 -0500 (EST)

I installed the latest Linux kernel - 2.2.1 - this weekend, and
found that FvwmConsole no longer builds.

	The problem is that the type of sun_family in un.h has been
changed from unsigned short to sa_family_t, which is typedef'ed in
socket.h, which is included *after* un.h.

	The fix is to switch the order of the includes for sys/un.h and
sys/socket.h in FvwmConsole.c.

	This also works fine under the older Linux kernels. *If* I have
time tomorrow - and the way things are at work right now, that's a
very big if - I'll try building under Solaris.

	I'd appreciate it if you can try this under as many different
Unices as possible before I commit the change. I don't expect it to
cause a problem, but you never know.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:30:18 -0800

> cause a problem, but you never know.

I noticed this problem in the late 2.1.x series, with libc5, and forgot to
check whether it worked as-is under libc6.

So ... two data points here ... it compiles fine either way with linux
2.2.0-final and glibc 2.1, as well as on a stock Solaris 7 system (though I
get other, unrelated prototype warnings).

HTH,
Danek

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:43:47 -0500 (EST)

> get other, unrelated prototype warnings).

	Dang! Color me green with envy - you managed to snag glibc 2.1
before they yanked it while they bicker over copyright issues. I was
planning to do the glibc upgrade this weekend (I'm still using libc5);
but now, who knows when I'll get around to it.

	Thanks for the info. My feeling is that if it works either way
on most systems, we should change to the reversed order, since we know
of at least one configuration where it doesn't work as is. My hope is
that we don't have to add more config logic to try to cope with this.

- Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 Feb 1999 23:42:31 -0500

%% Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

  bw> 	Dang! Color me green with envy - you managed to snag glibc 2.1
  bw> before they yanked it while they bicker over copyright issues. I
  bw> was planning to do the glibc upgrade this weekend (I'm still using
  bw> libc5); but now, who knows when I'll get around to it.

Note: the reason glibc was yanked has _nothing_ to do with copyright
issues; that rumor started on slashdot has no basis in reality.  The
real reason is much.... stranger... if you ask me.  No one did, of
course.  I heard this straight from the developers' mouths (er,
keyboards).

Anyway, I'd advise against installing 2.1 right now; I've heard some
very, very bad things about it (someone claimed it trashed his hard
disk).  I'm not sure how many of these things I believe outright but all
the same, I personally have no plans to upgrade until an officially
"supported" version of my distribution (Debian, since last month, RedHat
before that) is available.  Of course, I'm already on a glibc system so
it's not that big a deal for me to wait :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].