Subject: FvwmTaskBar CPU hogging + crash

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:07:06 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Pierre Fortin
Version: 2.2
CVS_Date: 
OS: RH5.2 (2.2.2)
X_Server: XF86 3.3.3.1
Submission from: (NULL) (171.68.117.195)

[Sorry for creating a new bug... I tried updating my previous bug report;
but
the system won't let me do this as 'guest' and I didn't find a way to
login
(no account anyway...).]

Re bug 208:

About an hour after reporting this, FvwmTaskBar crashed:
(gdb) whe
#0  0x40076a61 in XTextWidth ()
#1  0x804ccd2 in ButtonDraw (button=0x8057118, x=336, y=1, w=36, h=22) at
ButtonArray.c:160
#2  0x804d190 in DrawButtonArray (array=0x8051870, all=1) at
ButtonArray.c:403
#3  0x804a59f in RedrawWindow (force=1) at FvwmTaskBar.c:536
#4  0x804a3e7 in ProcessMessage (type=1024, body=0x8057ae8) at
FvwmTaskBar.c:459
#5  0x8049f3d in ReadFvwmPipe () at FvwmTaskBar.c:309
#6  0x8049f06 in EndLessLoop () at FvwmTaskBar.c:290
#7  0x8049db9 in main (argc=6, argv=0xbffffc64) at FvwmTaskBar.c:231

This was not the original process that started looping.  I'd restarted 
fvmw2 several times.  On later occasions, there were two processes running

at 47% CPU each.  In these cases, I used 'kill -9'...  Now, when I'd 
restart fvwm2, it only required that I move the mouse to the taskbar to 
put it back into a loop.  As the mouse moved into the taskbar area, I did
notice that the bar moved down (and left?) a pixel or two at the same time

the looping started...

Was in the process of entering this information yesterday when I first
tried 
killing fvwm2...  I didn't think that would take down the entire X
server...
Live & learn... :^)  After restarting X, I have not yet seen this problem 
repeat itself yet.

In the early stages of the looping problem (before I noticed the dual 
processes and kill) I used "System Utilities -> Task Bar" from DT to 
restart it), I thought I saw a pattern developing:
- have lots of windows open (I had 19)
- have a program which generated a wide bubble (Netscape w/long URL)
- move mouse over NS whose bubble would overlap several rightmost
  task buttons (3)
- looping starts
In this early stage, I found that I could get to NS and avoid the 
looping by switching between desktops without invoking a large 
bubble and carefully maneouvering the mouse around the vdt to the 
edge of the screen to get at NS which was in the bottom-right pane.

This was after the initial start of the problem, when the task bar 
had been restarted each time; so, I can't confirm that the original 
looping started this way.  Once looping starts, restarting the taskbar 
provides only very temporary relief; the X server must [apparently :^] 
be restarted to resolve the issue completely...

I will keep an eye out for this problem and try gdb (not very familiar 
with it; but had a quick glance at the info pages).  Please let me know
there are specific commands I should try...  

I saved the core dump in case it might be of use.

HTH,
Pierre

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]