Subject: Aargh!! (just a moan, no probs!)

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:16:49 +0000 (GMT)

(I just need to air my pain -- no need to take any of this too
seriously!)

I was just going to look at packaging 2.1.13 for Debian this evening,
but I just looked at the Debian source diffs for 2.1.10, and it's
about 21000 lines long!!  I think I'm going to leave reading through
that lot for another day when I am a *lot* less tired and have a *lot*
more time.  And I seriously hope that I can condense it by a factor of
at least 10.  'Cos I *really* don't want to have to maintain such a
large number of changes.  And I've still got some X books to read and
understand.  So Debian may be a little behind for the time being, but
I will catch up some time in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks for listening!

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 01:45:37 +0100

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 12:16:49AM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> about 21000 lines long!!

Wow! I you're through this mess I'd appreciate if you can
find out if there are any buxfixes/features that are not
in the official release. We're always interested in this
kind of stuff.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 19:49:02 -0500

Good lord!  What are they doing?

I build 2.1.x vanilla, with no changes at all, on my Debian system and
it works fine.

What hacks are they making to our lovely code! :)

I wonder if some of the changes they have are from 2.0.46 somehow, and
we've already added them?

If you put the diff file up for ftp (or you can email it to me
personally) we/I'll take a scan through it.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 02:45:46 +0000 (GMT)

> in the official release. We're always interested in this

Hi Dominik!

As I haven't yet begun to make sense of the package (although I will
in good time, no doubt), you might want to have a look at the current
bug reports yourself.  You can find them all at:

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm.html  (fvwm 1.x)
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm2.html (fvwm 2.x)
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm-common.html  (part of fvwm 2.x)

If you do look at them, I'd be more than appreciative if you could
mail at least [email-masked] (where nnnnn is the bug report
number) with a comment to say that the bug is fixed in version 2.2,
for then I will not have to struggle with non-existent bugs.

Thanks,

   Julian

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 03:29:07 +0000 (GMT)

> Good lord!  What are they doing?

The current version in unstable is 2.1.10.

A quick glance at the diffs seems to show that all of the Makefile.in
files have been regenerated using automake version 1.3 instead of the
1.4 as distributed, and autoconf 2.12.2 instead of 2.13, which leads
to such huge diff files.  The important diffs are probably lost
amongst such noise :-(  Yet more work for me with a very low S/N ratio.

> I build 2.1.x vanilla, with no changes at all, on my Debian system and

I'm sure it does 8-)

> What hacks are they making to our lovely code! :)

Probably very few by the looks of it (see below).

> we've already added them?

Perhaps.  You'll have to judge that one.

> personally) we/I'll take a scan through it.

By memory:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/source/\
  x11/fvwm2_2.1.10-2.diff.gz

Here are the possibly significant changes made in Debian's version of
2.1.10 (with some snippets of diff files).  The earlier ones seem to
be more significant than the later ones in general.

(1) In acconfig.h, and similarly in config.h

--- fvwm2-2.1.10.orig/acconfig.h
+++ fvwm2-2.1.10/acconfig.h
@@ -106,6 +106,9 @@
+#undef PACKAGE
+#undef VERSION

(2) configure.in replaces -ltermcap with -lncurses

(3) The fvwm2.1 manpage replaces:
-percent of pages, so "CursorMove 100 100" means to move down and right
+percent of pages, so "CursorMove 100 100" means to move down and left

    Am I meant to believe this correction?  I doubt it, somehow!

(4) The modules/FvwmIdent/FvwmIdent.1 manpage has the following
    correction: 
 
 .IP "*FvwmIdentBack \fIcolor\fP"
-Tells the module to use \fIcolor\fP instead of white for the window
+Tells the module to use \fIcolor\fP instead of black for the window
 background.

    Is this correct?

(5) Significant diffs to FvwmPager.c.  I don't know what these do.

--- fvwm2-2.1.10.orig/modules/FvwmPager/FvwmPager.c
+++ fvwm2-2.1.10/modules/FvwmPager/FvwmPager.c
@@ -1008,6 +1008,14 @@
 
       if (StrEquals(resource, "Geometry"))
 	{
+	/* reset back to defaults in case we get multiple Geometry
+	 * lines. <[email-masked]>, 1997/09/17 */
+	  usposition = 0;
+	  xneg = 0;
+	  yneg = 0;
+	  window_w = 0;
+	  window_h = 0;
+
 	  flags = XParseGeometry(arg1,&g_x,&g_y,&width,&height);
 	  if (flags & WidthValue)
 	    {
@@ -1033,7 +1041,6 @@
 	    }
 	  if (flags & YNegative)
 	    {
-	      window_y = g_y;
 	      yneg = 1;
 	    }
 	}
@@ -1104,6 +1111,8 @@
 	  CopyString(&font_string,arg1);
 	  if(strncasecmp(font_string,"none",4) == 0)
 	    uselabel = 0;
+	  else
+	    uselabel = 1;
 	}
       else if (StrEquals(resource, "Fore"))
 	{
@@ -1204,6 +1213,10 @@
       else if (StrEquals(resource, "StartIconic"))
 	{
 	  StartIconic = 1;
+	}	
+      else if(StrEquals(resource, "NoStartIconic"))
+	{
+	  StartIconic = 0;
 	}
       else if (StrEquals(resource, "Rows"))
 	{

(6) Two corresponding (?) changes to the FvwmPager.1 manpage:

 .SH COPYRIGHTS
-The FvwmPager program, and the concept for
+The FvwmClean program, and the concept for
 interfacing this module to the Window Manager, are all original work
 by Robert Nation.

-.IP "*FvwmPagerNoStartIconic"
-Causes the pager to start normally.  Useful for cancelling the effect
-of the \fIStartIconic\fP option.

(7) A few changes of #!/usr/local/bin/perl to #!/usr/bin/perl; not
    really significant in the larger view of things.

(8) A GoodStuff.man page is found in debian/GoodStuff.man in the diff
    file.  This may already be in the main distribution.

(9) Some example fvwm2rc files in the debian/ directory.  Maybe some
    of these will be helpful or worth including in the distrib?

(10) The dirhack.tar.gz.uue file contains a single directory
     extra-pixmaps with lots of xpm and a few icon files.

(11) An m4.fvwm2rc script in the debian/ directory.  This may already
     be in the distrib (it's attributed to Steve McIntyre
     <[email-masked]>).  If this is useful and not
     already added, maybe it could be?  There's no explicit
     copyright/left statement, so I could check out with him.

(12) A setup-background script in debian/ which does just that.

(13) A system.fvwm2rc in debian/.  Anyone who knows what they're
     talking about able to check over it?

(14) Some irrelevant Debian menu-system stuff in debian/, as well as
     the requisite installation scripts.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Now for some sleep....

   Julian

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:31:55 +0100

> for then I will not have to struggle with non-existent bugs.

I had a look once, but I was overwhelmed. I'm involved with fvwm2
development since October, so I can't answer most questions. I was
always hoping Austin would hack the bugs into Jitterbug someday.
This doesn't mean I'm not willing to help here, it's just that there
are *so many* old bug reports.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:38:55 +0100

> always hoping Austin would hack the bugs into Jitterbug someday.

Is there a way to prepare the bug database for easy inclusion into
Jitterbug (our bug tracker)? Perhaps it's possible to generate
emails per script from the Debian database. That would save us a
lot of work.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:42:55 +0000 (GMT)

> emails per script from the Debian database. That would save us a

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw about 45 outstanding bugs.

What I will try to do in the next few days is to summarise the bugs in
a report to this list, with a 2-3 line summary of each.  It is
entirely probable that the majority of bugs will have the response:
"already fixed", so they don't need sending to Jitterbug.  Any which
people are not sure about, let me know and I'll send them to
Jitterbug.  But sending 45 reports to Jitterbug will not be very
useful, I'm sure.

   Julian

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:04:21 +0000

> for then I will not have to struggle with non-existent bugs.

If you post a list of one-liners for all these bugs I'd like to add it
to CVS (temporarily) so that the people with commit privilege can just
edit it rather than everyone posting to the list and some poor soul
having to go through the responses.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 22 Feb 1999 13:59:55 -0500

%% [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey) writes:

  jg> A quick glance at the diffs seems to show that all of the
  jg> Makefile.in files have been regenerated using automake version 1.3
  jg> instead of the 1.4 as distributed, and autoconf 2.12.2 instead of
  jg> 2.13, which leads to such huge diff files.  The important diffs
  jg> are probably lost amongst such noise :-(

I wonder how they managed to use autoconf 2.12?  We have some stuff in
configure.in that requires 2.13.

automake 1.4 isn't so important: we moved there mainly to fix a bug with
the "make install-strip" rule... but unfortunately it only partially
fixed the problem.  Still, it's better.

Anyway, you can easily avoid this by using the --exclude option to GNU
diff to tell it to ignore all the Makefile.in's, configure, etc.:

  $ diff -r --exclude=Makefile.in --exclude=configure fvwm-old fvwm-new

or whatever.

  jg> --- fvwm2-2.1.10.orig/acconfig.h
  jg> +++ fvwm2-2.1.10/acconfig.h
  jg> @@ -106,6 +106,9 @@
  jg> +#undef PACKAGE
  jg> +#undef VERSION

I think this is an autoconf version difference.

  jg> (2) configure.in replaces -ltermcap with -lncurses

I assume you mean in the readline lib check.  The latest configure.in's
test for _both_ termcap and ncurses so you should be able to ignore this
change.

  jg> (3) The fvwm2.1 manpage replaces:
  jg> -percent of pages, so "CursorMove 100 100" means to move down and right
  jg> +percent of pages, so "CursorMove 100 100" means to move down and left

  jg>     Am I meant to believe this correction?  I doubt it, somehow!

Yes, that change seems wrong to me, too.

  jg> (4) The modules/FvwmIdent/FvwmIdent.1 manpage has the following
  jg>     correction: 
 
  jg>  .IP "*FvwmIdentBack \fIcolor\fP"
  jg> -Tells the module to use \fIcolor\fP instead of white for the window
  jg> +Tells the module to use \fIcolor\fP instead of black for the window
  jg>  background.

  jg>     Is this correct?

Not sure.  Someone will have to go look at the FvwmIdent code to find
the default background color is.  I'm pretty sure it's white, not black,
though.

  jg> (5) Significant diffs to FvwmPager.c.  I don't know what these do.

  jg> --- fvwm2-2.1.10.orig/modules/FvwmPager/FvwmPager.c
  jg> +++ fvwm2-2.1.10/modules/FvwmPager/FvwmPager.c
  jg> @@ -1008,6 +1008,14 @@

Not sure about these, someone more experienced with FvwmPager will have
to comment.

  jg> (6) Two corresponding (?) changes to the FvwmPager.1 manpage:

  jg>  .SH COPYRIGHTS
  jg> -The FvwmPager program, and the concept for
  jg> +The FvwmClean program, and the concept for
  jg>  interfacing this module to the Window Manager, are all original work
  jg>  by Robert Nation.

??  The original is correct.

  jg> -.IP "*FvwmPagerNoStartIconic"
  jg> -Causes the pager to start normally.  Useful for cancelling the effect
  jg> -of the \fIStartIconic\fP option.

This is related to the patches to the .c file in (5) above.  Again, not
sure.

  jg> (7) A few changes of #!/usr/local/bin/perl to #!/usr/bin/perl; not
  jg>     really significant in the larger view of things.

This should definitely be configure-ified.

  jg> (8) A GoodStuff.man page is found in debian/GoodStuff.man in the diff
  jg>     file.  This may already be in the main distribution.

There's a man page FvwmGoodStuff in the extras/FvwmGoodStuff directory.
There is no GoodStuff module anymore, so we don't need a man page for
it.

  jg> (9) Some example fvwm2rc files in the debian/ directory.  Maybe some
  jg>     of these will be helpful or worth including in the distrib?

Possibly; we should take a look.

  jg> (10) The dirhack.tar.gz.uue file contains a single directory
  jg>      extra-pixmaps with lots of xpm and a few icon files.

Again, we should take a look.

  jg> (11) An m4.fvwm2rc script in the debian/ directory.  This may already
  jg>      be in the distrib (it's attributed to Steve McIntyre
  jg>      <[email-masked]>).  If this is useful and not
  jg>      already added, maybe it could be?  There's no explicit
  jg>      copyright/left statement, so I could check out with him.

What does it do?

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:12:05 +0000 (GMT)

Firstly, thanks for your comments.  Now that I've looked through the
package a little more, I have a few more comments to make on some of
this stuff.  In order not to bother everyone with too much junk, I'll
only talk about still open stuff.

> Not sure about these, someone more experienced with FvwmPager will have

They do three things:

  (i) They reset the default geometry stuff before reading a Geometry
      resource, in case there is more than one such resource; this
      makes the second (?) one take effect and ignores the first,
      rather than having them become confused with each other.

 (ii) Implements a NoStartIconic resource to complement StartIconic.

(iii) Two bug-fixes: the Geometry resource case of Flags & YNegative
      has had an extra line (window_y=g_y;) removed, and the Font
      resource case has had an 'else' clause added (else use_label=1;).

> This should definitely be configure-ified.

Definitely.

> Again, we should take a look.

OK.

>   jg>      copyright/left statement, so I could check out with him.

It turns out that it is just an example .fvwm2rc configuration file
which makes heavy use of M4.  That's all.

Onto the next bugs....

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]