Subject: link to fvwm-2.2

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:25:17 -0500 (EST)

It might be nice if there was a link to fvwm-2.2.tar.gz at the "top
level" of the ftp site:

  ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/fvwm-2.2.tar.gz

That way people don't have to search through all the beta releases in
the version-2 directory to find it (if they use ftp and not the web
link).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 1999 12:38:37 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> It might be nice if there was a link to fvwm-2.2.tar.gz at the "top
PDS> level" of the ftp site:

I made that link, but I actually want to restructure the site a bit.
Having version-1 and version-2 directories is now seriously less useful
since we have a real, released fvwm2.  I'm thinking of just moving
version-1 to old/version-1, moving fvwm-2.2 up to the top level and moving
everything else into old/version-2.  But I have to leave things mostly as
they are (or make a bunch of symlinks) so that old links still work.

I've already moved everything in unofficial-patches to
unofficial-patches/old, since I don't think any of them will apply to 2.2
(or they were subsumed).

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Feb 1999 15:37:59 -0500

jlt> I made that link, but I actually want to restructure the site a bit.
  jlt> Having version-1 and version-2 directories is now seriously less useful
  jlt> since we have a real, released fvwm2.

Agree 100%.

  jlt> I'm thinking of just moving version-1 to old/version-1, moving
  jlt> fvwm-2.2 up to the top level and moving everything else into
  jlt> old/version-2.  But I have to leave things mostly as they are (or
  jlt> make a bunch of symlinks) so that old links still work.

How about something like this:

  /pub/fvwm/
        README, etc.
        fvwm-2.2.tar.gz
        beta/
          testing/... for developers only
          version-1/
          version-2.0/
             fvwm-2.0.*
          version-2.1/
             fvwm-2.1.*
          version-2.3/
             ...soon enough :)...

Maybe we can put a link to fvwm-1.24r.tar.gz at the top level, too.
It was an official release, and people do still use it.  I don't think
anyone'll be confused about which is the newest thing :)

When we get fvwm-2.2.1.tar.gz, fvwm-2.4.tar.gz, etc. those'll go on the
top level, too.

Do we need a "current.tar.gz" link?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]