Subject: another bug or feature

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:34:03 +0100

I think that the module name aliasing in its current incarnation
is useless. I tried to have two copies of GtkMenus:

Module GtkMenus
Module GtkMenus FooBar

Mouse 3 A A SendToModule GtkMenus test 3
Mouse 2 A A SendToModule FooBar test2 2

and I found that the two copies of GtkMenus in fact read their
respective configuration lines, but SendToModule doesn't know
anything about aliases; pressing M3 sends "test 3" to both incarnations
while pressing M2 sends nothing, since there is no module named FooBar,
as far as fvwm knows.

I think there is a similar problem with KillModule.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:19:18 -0500

> I think there is a similar problem with KillModule.

I agree completely.  As it is, the second arg on a module invocation
line may be an alias, or it may be something else.  fvwm2 has no clue.

I'm not sure what  the solution is,  but, at  least for  KillModule, I
lean  toward the module   reading config lines   as it is running, and
understanding "stop" commands, as in FvwmAnimate.

This gives modules a chance to intelligently  process the stop command
in something other than a signal handler.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:48:18 +0100

> line may be an alias, or it may be something else.  fvwm2 has no clue.

Perhaps we need an explicit way to start a module with an alias:

AliasModule GtkMenus Foobar

to work like "Module", just giving fvwm2 the information that this
incarnation of GtkMenus wants to be called Foobar ? Or even

Module GtkMenus alias=Foobar

Perhaps the softlink method is still the best...

> understanding "stop" commands, as in FvwmAnimate.

Sounds reasonable and GtkMenus reads config lines, but my more urgent problem
is with SendToModule (its not actually that urgent, I merely wanted to
try stupid things like having a macos-themed menu on the left button and
a win95-themed menu on the right one...)

Matthias