Subject: readline and configure

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:56:41 +0100

Just noticed this in the output of configure:

  checking for readline in -lreadline... no
  checking for readline in -lreadline... yes

???

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 19:55:33 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv>   checking for readline in -lreadline... no
  dv>   checking for readline in -lreadline... yes

This means that your readline is compiled with ncurses instead of
termcap (or vice versa, I forget).  The first time it checks with one
and, if that fails, it tries with the other.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 01:57:21 +0100

> and, if that fails, it tries with the other.

Shouldn't this be reflected in the message somewhere?
It's a bit confusing.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 02:02:36 +0100

> and, if that fails, it tries with the other.

Hm.. I have a slight variation of this... It finds readline.a and
readline.h .. then tries to use readline/history.h but I don't have any
such... (the other readline stuff comes from gdb)

--without-readline doesn't work, I have to use
--without-readline-library to make it not use readline..

If I just give --without-readline-includes I get:
configure: error: argument must be a directory

8/

Solaris 2.6 system...

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 22:04:38 -0500

>> and, if that fails, it tries with the other.

  dv> Shouldn't this be reflected in the message somewhere?
  dv> It's a bit confusing.

Ideally, yes; however the macro that performs the check is generic and
there's no argument to it that allows you to provide any extra text like
"with termcap" or something.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 22:07:24 -0500

%% Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]> writes:

  to> Hm.. I have a slight variation of this... It finds readline.a and
  to> readline.h .. then tries to use readline/history.h but I don't have any
  to> such... (the other readline stuff comes from gdb)

You have to have history.h in order to enable readline support in
FvwmConsole.  Are you saying that configure decides you do have a proper
readline, and then the compile of fvwm fails because you don't have
history.h?

Or that configure says you don't have a proper readline?

If the former, that's a bug and should be fixed (post 2.2).  If the
latter, that's correct.

  to> --without-readline doesn't work, I have to use
  to> --without-readline-library to make it not use readline..

Hm.

  to> If I just give --without-readline-includes I get:
  to> configure: error: argument must be a directory

Hm.

These should be fixed, at some point.  Can you write a bug about this
into Jitterbug for us?

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:18:26 +0100

> readline, and then the compile of fvwm fails because you don't have

Yes.

> Or that configure says you don't have a proper readline?

It accepts my readline and fails at compile-time.

> These should be fixed, at some point.  Can you write a bug about this

It tries to link with readline, thinks it looks ok.. then tries to find
the headerfiles which I said I don't want to use...

I don't really understand why Fvwm insists on having me specify both lib
and include ... I haven't heard of anyone that keeps them in separate
prefixes.. Every other autoconf program I've seen uses

--with-foo=/usr/local

and looks for includes under /usr/local/include  and libs under
/usr/local/lib ...

/Tomas