Subject: Menu Styles

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:31:57 -0500

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but I don't seem to be able
to get menustyle matching working:

#MenuStyle   * SidePic side.fvwm2.xpm, SideColor black
MenuStyle   StartMenu SidePic side.fvwm2.xpm, SideColor black
DestroyMenu StartMenu
AddToMenu   StartMenu "--Start Menu--" Title
AddToMenu   StartMenu "%mini.xterm.xpm%&S. Systems"  	  Popup Systems
AddToMenu   StartMenu "%mini.window.xpm%&W. Window Operations" Popup Window-Ops
AddToMenu   StartMenu "%mini.cut.xpm%&U. Utilities"  	  Popup Utilities

The first, commented out, line works if not commented out,
but the second line is what I want, and so far, no joy.

HELP!
-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 10:44:40 -0500

You have to use the ChangeMenuStyle command to apply a MenuStyle to a
Menu.  Kind of confusing, since that's not needed with normal Style.

Add this:

  ChangeMenuStyle StartMenu StartMenu

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:14:26 +0000

> Menu.  Kind of confusing, since that's not needed with normal Style.

Another nice thing would be a UseMenuStyle so that one menustyle could
use another as a basis.

I think I found a minor bug with menu animation when menustyles change
from one to another or it may be that if you don't specify much in a
menustyle it gets something wrong.  My menustyle defns:

Emulate MWM
MenuStyle * Foreground Black, BackGround LightGrey, Greyed Grey,
ActiveFore Navy
MenuStyle * Hilight3DThick, Animation On, MenuFace TiledPixmap
PT_003.xpm
MenuStyle * PopupOffset -2 100, TitleWarp, TitleUnderlines1,
SeparatorsShort
MenuStyle * MenuFace DGradient 128 3 Magenta 33 Yellow 34 Cyan 33
Magenta
MenuStyle StartStyle SidePic 100/side.fvwm2.xpm, SideColor Black

The start menu is defined:

DestroyMenu StartMenu
AddToMenu StartMenu
+ "&Host        %mini-term.xpm%"        Popup OnceMenu
...
ChangeMenuStyle StartStyle StartMenu

It's popped up with

Menu StartMenu Root 0 o100-24p

The result is that the start menu pops up in the right place but the
first submenu that prepops causes the start menu to be warped to the
right before the first submenu is mapped on the left of the start menu. 
What should happen is that the submenu should map half over the start
menu since I don't define a PopupOffset in StartStyle.  I've attached a
jpg of the result, ignore the colours, Exceed can't handle the server
having its own colormap.  I had to turn the quality down to 10% to get
it to 10K.

This is with 2.2.13. I have no problems when all the menus belong to the
* MenuStyle.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 12:37:54 -0500

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> I think I found a minor bug with menu animation when menustyles
  tp> change from one to another or it may be that if you don't specify
  tp> much in a menustyle it gets something wrong.  My menustyle defns:

  tp> Emulate MWM
  tp> MenuStyle * Foreground Black, BackGround LightGrey, Greyed Grey,
  tp> ActiveFore Navy
  tp> MenuStyle * Hilight3DThick, Animation On, MenuFace TiledPixmap
  tp> PT_003.xpm
  tp> MenuStyle * PopupOffset -2 100, TitleWarp, TitleUnderlines1,
  tp> SeparatorsShort
  tp> MenuStyle * MenuFace DGradient 128 3 Magenta 33 Yellow 34 Cyan 33
  tp> Magenta
  tp> MenuStyle StartStyle SidePic 100/side.fvwm2.xpm, SideColor Black

I was never able to have this kind of thing work either; I just assumed
that menustyle's didn't cross over.  That is, the "*" menu style didn't
serve as a prototype for the ones defined later.

If I redefined each MenuStyle completely, then added new items, it
worked much better.  In other words, your StartStyle above is the basic
style plus some sidepic stuff, not the "*" style plus some sidepic
stuff.

Yes?  No?

I can't find anything in the man page that says "*" styles _should_ be
propogated like this, so I assume they aren't.