Subject: Xpm, readline not found

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:50:21 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Pete Forman
Version: 2.1.10
CVS_Date: 
OS: Solaris 2.6
X_Server: NCD
Submission from: (NULL) (195.60.31.15)

Problem: configure did not find Xpm and readline without extra
    options (e.g. --with-xpm*) or environment (e.g. CPPFLAGS=-I...)

Fix: Get configure to look in /usr/openwin and /usr/local by itself.
    (This is genrally a good idea, not just for Solaris.)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:31:34 +0100

>     (This is genrally a good idea, not just for Solaris.)

Paul (PDS), what is the status of this bug report? Is it still an
issue?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Feb 1999 10:11:03 -0500

>> (This is genrally a good idea, not just for Solaris.)

  dv> Paul (PDS), what is the status of this bug report? Is it still an
  dv> issue?

I didn't do anything with it.  I'm not sure it's really a bug: after
all, the entire reason those options exist is so you can point configure
to where your files are, if they're not in the standard place (/usr/X11
something).

There's some argument to be made for searching /usr/openwin by default,
I suppose, since that's where all standard Sun X installations reside
(and, I assume, if you use Sun's xmkmf to build libxpm that's where
it'll put things) and Sun is a pretty common platform.

As for /usr/local, again there's some argument to be made for looking at
$prefix/lib and $prefix/include for libraries in general, but I feel
this should be a feature of configure itself (and I've mentioned this to
the autoconf folks a number of times).  And generally libxpm.a won't
ever be installed automatically into /usr/local, since it uses
Imakefiles, so this isn't that common of a situation, I expect.  This is
more important for libreadline and rplay, I think.

In short, we could do both of these but I consider this more along the
lines of an enhancement request than a bug.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:07:58 +0100

> lines of an enhancement request than a bug.

Well, I have no strong feelings about that and I don't think we can
make configure 100% foolproof. Please do what you like with the bug
report. Either make it an enhancement request or just close it or...

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]