Subject: 'click' vs 'motion'

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:38:06 +0100

Something that has always bothered me: I have this
function bound to my window titles:

  AddToFunc MoveOrRaise
   + "Click"         Raise
   + "Motion"        Raise
   + "Motion"        Move

Why does the pointer change to the move cursor when I click
on a title and hold it down? I haven't moved the mouse so
why is it interpreted as a motion? It could still be a
click or even a double click. Is there anything I didn't
consider? If not that will probably be my first patch in
2.3.x 8-)

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:30:34 -0500

> consider? If not that will probably be my first patch in

Well thanks for pointing that out now that ones going to bother me too
:) If you watch carefully you'll notice your cursor goes from a circle
(Raise) to the move cursor, this suggests that both of us either have
shacky hands and sensitive mice or that somewhere in the descision to
say the mouse is in moition there is some time out.  No real help here
just thought I would commiserate.

Besides doesn't it feel could that that the only thing you need to worry
about is that your cursor isn't quite right when you hold it down for a
while?

Brad
-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:45:49 +0100

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 03:30:34PM -0500, Brad Giaccio wrote:
> say the mouse is in moition there is some time out.

Oh, it's surely not my shaky hand since I use a trackball and can
press any button without any risk to move the pointer. I've looked
into the code (IsClick function in complex.c): The 'Scr.ClickTime'
is used here. So if you hold the button down long enough is assumes
it cannot be a click anymore. In a function the has only 'click' and
'motion' actions the code assumes it has to be 'motion' now.

> Besides doesn't it feel could that that the only thing you need to worry
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could you rephrase that please? Either my English isn't good enough
or you didn't write what you were thinking ;-)

> about is that your cursor isn't quite right when you hold it down for a

If you wanted to ask if it was only the mouse cursor that bothers
me then the answer is no. The 'move' is really initiated (I get
the move feedback window too). And there is no reason why the
decision between click and motion has to be made at this point. I
may still either start moving or just release the button. It can
become really bothersome with a small ClickTime.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:24:00 -0500

> > Besides doesn't it feel could that that the only thing you need to worry

No worries your english is fine, its just that american "edumacation o
mine" that keeps me from proofreading. I was shooting for: " Besides
doesn't it feel good, that the only thing you need to worry ..." (could,
good its all the same word if you think it fast enough)

> become really bothersome with a small ClickTime.

It is even worse if you start using the vnc viewer (gives a second x
server that you can run as an xwindow on any other display) over a 14.4
modem and don't want any screen redraws that you didn't really want.  I
was going to take a look in the source but it sounds like you already
have a handle on the problem so have fun and I'll be glad to test when
you are done.  But first but your feet up, play with the cats and relax
for a while.

Brad

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:20:16 -0800

Previously...
>become really bothersome with a small ClickTime.

Am I being dense? What's wrong with increasing your ClickTime to a
"reasonably" large value? What you describe is exactly what ClickTime
is for, isn't it?
-- 
[email-masked]
Nerve gas is not a toy
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].