Subject: Wandering on recapture

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:42:38 +0000

Well, I think I fixed it, but I'm not sure how! I think the problem was
with non-active placement and it was not stashing the correct value for
xdiff & ydiff. This meant that on a recapture/restart windows that have
an old_bw > 0 were placed back on the screen wrongly.  When fvwm
recaptures/restarts it goes through a different bit of code to place
windows and that bit works.  What I've done is to take the code from the
recapture placement and copied it to the smart/dumb placement section.

Does this make sense to anyone? Does it break anything? I've tried it
with xclock and it fixes the problem with all four corner gravities.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:08:48 -0500 (EST)

Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Well, I think I fixed it, but I'm not sure how!

And Bob tried to reply:
> Super!  I'll check it out over the weekend (can't get to the CVS tree
> from work, dammit!).

	Don't know what happened to the text of that last message. It
seems to have been a bad week for e-mail in Connecticut. I've had trouble
sending from home to the list all week, and now the system at work is
acting strangely, too.

- Bob

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Feb 1999 17:46:29 -0600

>>>>> "BW" == Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

BW> I've had trouble sending from home to the list all week, and now the
BW> system at work is acting strangely, too.

Might this have something to do with it?

Feb 26 17:06:34 karazm sendmail[5865]: RAA05865: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<[email-masked]>, relay=pcnet1.pcnet.com [204.213.232.3], reject=501 <[email-masked]>... Sender domain must exist

Given the level of Spam controls these days, no system is going to accept
mail from a host that it can't send bounces to.  If your envelope sender
doesn't resolve, you can't get bounces and my machines will reject mail
from you.

 - J<

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:17:41 -0500 (EST)

Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> wrote:
> BW> I've had trouble sending from home to the list all week...
> 
> ...reject=501 <[email-masked]>... Sender domain must exist
> 

	Hmmm...I suspect you'll be rejecting a lot of mail from folks
with only a ppp connection through an ISP.  :-(

	Can you give me a couple of pointers on how to persuade sendmail
to construct an envelope you'll accept?

- Bob

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Feb 1999 11:21:11 -0600

>>>>> "BW" == Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

BW> Hmmm...I suspect you'll be rejecting a lot of mail from folks with only
BW> a ppp connection through an ISP.  :-(

Only those with seriously broken connections.  If you persist in this, you
will find that your mail doesn't get to a lot of places.  Of course, you'll
never know since _you can't get the bounces_!

If you use the hpc.uh.edu addresses for the time being you won't get
blocked there, but I can't say how long that will continue to work.

BW> Can you give me a couple of pointers on how to persuade sendmail to
BW> construct an envelope you'll accept?

I suggest you relay all mail through your ISPs mail server (they should do
proper envelope rewrites) and if you are and they're not, then complain.
Note that if you aren't relaying through your provider then you're breaking
anther cardinal law and may be blocked by anyone running DUL checking (see
http://maps.vix.com/dul/) which is soon to be me in an attempt to crack
down on more spam.

I can't really suggest how to make your MTA cope with this situation.  The
bottom line is that you can't just make up a hostname and expect the world
to cope with it.

 - J<