Subject: List of Debian FVWM bugs

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:53:14 +0000 (GMT)

Hiya all!

As promised, here is a very brief summary of all currently open Debian
reports against the FVWM software.  I have even Debian specific ones
for my sake.  If you have any knowledge about the status of any of
these "bugs", please let me know by (personal) email.  My intention is
to report back to this list in a few days time listing just those bugs
which are apparently still relevant, with the intention of then
submitting them to Jitterbug.  (It just seems unhelpful to submit 45
bugs, mostly irrelevant, at this point.)  Even comments such as "This
is not part of FVWM itself" would be really helpful to me, and
therefore ultimately to us all.  Every report is preceded by its
Debian number; please use this when replying back to me as otherwise I
won't know what you're talking about ;-)  My intention is to gradually
work through the remaining bugs over the next few weeks to see which
ones are reproducible in version 2.2 and close those which aren't.
But if there are 20 fewer bugs to test, it'll be much easier!!

Also, some of these bugs are *very* old, so may no longer even make
sense.  That's OK, too.  More details on individual bugs can be found
on the bug tracking system; the relevant URI is given at the beginning
of each section.

And I'm now working my way through the Xlib manual, so I'll be even
more constructive soon 8-).

Thanks for everyone's help!

   Julian

P.S. This took ages to compile -- whew!!

P.P.S. There are some great examples of crazy .fvwm2rc's hanging
around there: one was created by a Perl script, and another was
created by the C preprocessor!!

Open Debian bug reports against fvwm 1.x <-- NO LONGER RELEVANT AS OF TODAY!!!
========================================         WELL DONE ALL OF YOU!!
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm.html)

11835  (Debian local bug)

16142  GoodStuff problems: (1) If GoodStuff was running when FVWM
       exited, then FVWM doesn't restart properly; (2) if X is exited
       with ctl-alt-bksp, then GoodStuff doesn't die & eats all CPU

Open Debian bug reports against fvwm 2.x
========================================
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm2.html)

Normal bugs outstanding
-----------------------

 5736  "Restart  /usr/bin/X11/afterstep" with two spaces doesn't
       work. 

10862  Window order messed up on restarting fvwm; patch available
       (already forwarded?)

11174  Bizarre bug involving a window changing title as fvwmbuttons
       becomes active causing the latter to crash.  You just have to
       see the bug report for full details.

11355  Want some MiniIcon lines in example config file.

11356  Iconified programs ignore TitleStyle, so colours may lead to
       unreadable titles on icons.

11463  Race condition in IconBox: if box window is created after icon,
       then icon ends up out of box, e.g., after restarting fvwm.

11824a Give focus to a window (Sloppy focus) and immediately call up a
       menu in window => menu ends up buried as main window gains
       focus (FvwmAuto too slow or something?).

11824b Want FvwmPager configurable so can click left-mouse once to
       both change viewport and focus.

11845  FvwmAuto and unclutter don't run when called from init.hook or
       init-restart.hook.

11861  (Debian specific)

11886a Sometimes the pager does not display a mapped window until it
       is moved.

11886b Sometimes iconifying programs leads to the icon being mapped
       only very briefly and then disappearing.  (??)

11886c RaiseLower sometimes lowers not fully-raised windows instead of
       raising them.

14163  When moving a window far enough to make the desktop view move,
       it starts flickering in its original position.

14172  Starting elvis in X caused fvwm2 to fail with BadWindow and
       BadDrawable errors in X_DestroyWindow and X_CopyArea requests.

16143  Apparent interaction between WinList and having handles/
       non-zero BorderWidth causes WinList to drift.

18576  FvwmButtons doesn't exit and eats all processor time when
       leaving X with ctl-alt-bksp.  (Similar to 16142 in fvwm1?)

20444  Restarting fvwm seems to shift some windows slightly; perhaps
       to do with miscalculating the save set?  Something to do with
       non-zero border width?

20831  Pager balloon patch: shows balloons when over a window in the
       pager.  (Wishlist; patch included.)

22102  Various config problems, eg can't configure colours of title of
       window with input focus in WinList -- appropriate option has no
       effect.

22286  Problems with colourful menu icons on an 8-bit display; should
       fvwm2 be responsible for filtering them to a small colour set?

24135  (Debian specific)

25751  see #25417

32796  (Debian specific, I think)

32939  (Debian specific)

33109  (Debian specific)

Wishlist items - outstanding
----------------------------

18003  Irregularities for key bindings for Tab etc; C-M-Tab doesn't
       seem to work properly; want Mouse 2 I A Iconify in
       system.fvwm2rc; what happened to C/M-<arrow key>?  (Debian specific?)

21097  Gravity patch for IconBox wanted in main fvwm2.

32795  FvwmPager should be started before user's post.hook in
       system.fvwm2rc.  (Debian specific?)

32923  WindowOps menu should display key bindings (pseudo-patch
       included)

Normal bugs - forwarded to fvwm-workers (!)
-------------------------------------------

 8774  WindowList shouldn't behave same way as other windows(?) in
       respect to resources such as *scratch*.  (I don't quite
       understand this one yet.)

 8785  FVWM unaware of ability to drag windows around by using their
       static areas if they are Athena widgets.

 8954  FvwmPager should allow windows to be moved in it => windows
       moving in main window.  Also, could wordwrap titles in Pager.

 9769  ClickToFocus and SkipMapping don't interact properly.

14791  MenuStyle should default to fvwm, not mwm.  The behaviour of
       menus at the right side of the screen could do with
       improvement.

16040  PipeRead problems: should set env vars and should search for
       missing files in standard places.

21547  Root menu bound to button with "Mouse 0 3 A Menu /Debian Nop",
       but then submenus' positions depend on where button clicked --
       may end up too far left/right.  Only problem with MWM style?

23759  MWMButtons and MWMDecorMax don't work together properly.

Wishlist items - forwarded to fvwm-workers (!)
----------------------------------------------

25601  Would like a possibility of keyboard mouse button emulation.

27276  Internationalisation patch (included) -- from fvwm-users-jp
       mailing list.

Open Debian bug reports against fvwm 2.x --"common parts"
=========================================================
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm-common.html)

[This package is essentially part of FVWM 2, but for some reason has
been separated out.]

Normal bugs - forwarded to fvwm-workers (!)
-------------------------------------------

11495  All sorts of copyright problems which need to be addressed.

And for any of you who help me to untangle this mess -- I'm *really*
greatful.

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Feb 1999 10:31:28 -0500

%% [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey) writes:

  jg> 16142  GoodStuff problems: (1) If GoodStuff was running when FVWM
  jg>        exited, then FVWM doesn't restart properly; (2) if X is exited
  jg>        with ctl-alt-bksp, then GoodStuff doesn't die & eats all CPU

These should be gone; GoodStuff doesn't exist anymore, and while
FvwmButtons (its replacement) had some similar-sounding issues I believe
we've solved all those problems.

  jg> 10862  Window order messed up on restarting fvwm; patch available
  jg>        (already forwarded?)

This is fixed in 2.2.

  jg> 11824a Give focus to a window (Sloppy focus) and immediately call up a
  jg>        menu in window => menu ends up buried as main window gains
  jg>        focus (FvwmAuto too slow or something?).

I believe some changes were made to 2.2 to alleviate this.  Not sure
there's much that can be done to solve it 100% if you're using FvwmAuto
(like I do), but it should be much better in 2.2.

  jg> 18576  FvwmButtons doesn't exit and eats all processor time when
  jg>        leaving X with ctl-alt-bksp.  (Similar to 16142 in fvwm1?)

I think this is fixed.

  jg> 20444  Restarting fvwm seems to shift some windows slightly; perhaps
  jg>        to do with miscalculating the save set?  Something to do with
  jg>        non-zero border width?

Good lord, I hope this is fixed but I suspect there may still be some
shifting probs lurking :(.

  jg> 20831  Pager balloon patch: shows balloons when over a window in the
  jg>        pager.  (Wishlist; patch included.)

This is in 2.2.

  jg> 22286  Problems with colourful menu icons on an 8-bit display; should
  jg>        fvwm2 be responsible for filtering them to a small colour set?

You can specify ColorLimit in your config file in 2.2, to do exactly this.

  jg> 14791  MenuStyle should default to fvwm, not mwm.  The behaviour of
  jg>        menus at the right side of the screen could do with
  jg>        improvement.

I think the latter improvements are done.

  jg> 11495  All sorts of copyright problems which need to be addressed.

I believe this has been done (thanks Dominik!)  See the COPYING file in
the root directory of the fvwm 2.2 dist.

I think a lot of the other problems are also fixed, but I leave it up to
others more knowledgeable to comment further.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:54:00 -0500

> Normal bugs outstanding

Fixed.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:27:52 +0100

>  5736  "Restart  /usr/bin/X11/afterstep" with two spaces doesn't

All 'multiple whitespace' bugs should be fixed. Close this bug and
wait for it to reappear (I do not believe that will happen).

>        focus (FvwmAuto too slow or something?).

I doubt this one is still valid. I can't reproduce it myself.
FvwmAuto can't raise windows while a menu is up with the current
code.

>        both change viewport and focus.

Yes!! We need that!

> 11845  FvwmAuto and unclutter don't run when called from init.hook or

Seems to be outdated. FvwmRearrange works fine in the RestartFunction.
Perhaps a Debian specific issue? Fvwm2 does not use these 'hooks'.

> 11886a Sometimes the pager does not display a mapped window until it

I've never seen that.

> 11886c RaiseLower sometimes lowers not fully-raised windows instead of

Fixed. This occured when only a part of the border/title was obscured.

>        non-zero BorderWidth causes WinList to drift.

I think this is fixed, but ask our WinList experts here.

Fixed.

>        pager.  (Wishlist; patch included.)

Applied.

>        fvwm2 be responsible for filtering them to a small colour set?

Should be fixed with 'ColorLimit' command.

> Wishlist items - outstanding

Close this bug report as fixed. There has been so much
trouble with bindings that nobody can tell you what has
been fixed and what has not.

>        system.fvwm2rc.  (Debian specific?)

Probably debian specific. What's a 'post.hook'?

> 32923  WindowOps menu should display key bindings (pseudo-patch

Key bindings can be displayed. If this is a problem it is a
Debian issue.
 
> Normal bugs - forwarded to fvwm-workers (!)

Neither do I. Please tell us when you understand it.

>        moving in main window.  Also, could wordwrap titles in Pager.

Hmm, if this is about being able to drop windows into the pager
then the answer is not, not in the code at the moment. Of course
you can move windows in the pager. Word wrapping is clearly an
enhancement request.
 
>  9769  ClickToFocus and SkipMapping don't interact properly.

Any more details here?

Fixed.

>        missing files in standard places.

What is the problem?

>        may end up too far left/right.  Only problem with MWM style?

Sounds weird and I bet this is no longer an issue.

> Wishlist items - forwarded to fvwm-workers (!)

Can't be done in a way that makes all applications happy.

> 27276  Internationalisation patch (included) -- from fvwm-users-jp

This has not been incorporated.

> Normal bugs - forwarded to fvwm-workers (!)

Fixed 8-)

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:18:17 -0500

> > 11886a Sometimes the pager does not display a mapped window until it

Hmm, I have.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:58:11 -0500

> I think this is fixed, but ask our WinList experts here.

Thank the ancients this is fixed. I'm tired of my users wining about it

> Can't be done in a way that makes all applications happy.
Some X servers allow this to be done, but its not the window managers responsibility

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:10:54 +0000

>        unreadable titles on icons.

I think this means that the icon label only gets some of the titlebar
settings i.e. it gets the font colours but not the background
colour/gradient/pixmap.  I think the bug is that it gets the font
colours and it shouldn't, not that it should look like a short titlebar.

>        to do with miscalculating the save set?  Something to do with

It's probably messing up with FvwmBorder windows.  I'm going to get rid
of FvwmWindow.bw soon which may fix this.  Just as soon as we agree on
if XDrawLine(x1, y, x2, y) should draw the pixel at (x2, y).

> 21097  Gravity patch for IconBox wanted in main fvwm2.

If this means where icons are placed on the root window it's fixed
(IconGrid,IconFill). If it refers to FvwmIconBox it's not.

>        static areas if they are Athena widgets.

Won't be fixed, too widget specific.

>        moving in main window.  Also, could wordwrap titles in Pager.

If this means that moving a window in the pager should cause the main
window to waggle then it's a enhancement request.  No reason why it
shouldn't happen as long as it's an option to the pager.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:09:40 +0000 (GMT)

> colours and it shouldn't, not that it should look like a short titlebar.

I guess.  The original bug report read:

  The iconified program use the default colors for normal windows,
  EXCEPT they ignore the TitleStyle!  So, because the title style may
  change the background for the title bar, the colors may look good
  for normal windows but may be totally unreadable for icons.

> (IconGrid,IconFill). If it refers to FvwmIconBox it's not.

The report refers to the URI:
ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/unofficial_patches/iconboxes.patch
That probably helps....

> shouldn't happen as long as it's an option to the pager.

What's "waggle" mean?!  He means: just as moving the window on the
screen causes them to move in the pager, the converse should also be
possible.

   Julian

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:14:39 -0500

>   for normal windows but may be totally unreadable for icons.

There is  a  problem  here.   The   Titlestyle command  controls   the
background  for the   3   titlebar states:  activeup,  activedown, and
inactive.

The HiLightColor command  controls the  foreground and  background  of
icon titles with focus, and only the foreground of the titlebar.

The  Style ForeColor and  backcolor controls icon titles without focus
and the foreground only in titlebars that are inactive (unfocused).

Is a  confusing  mess, and  quite difficult to  work out  schemes with
contrast.

Just to make things  even less consistent,  the icon titles don't even
have  the state "activedown" like  the titlebars  do, instead the icon
title disappears as the icon is being moved.

> ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/unofficial_patches/iconboxes.patch

Never heard the iconboxes patch refered to as the "Gravity patch".
This patch is definitely already in 2.2.

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:13:06 +0000 (GMT)

> Key bindings can be displayed. If this is a problem it is a

Is there an automatic way to display key bindings?

> Neither do I. Please tell us when you understand it.

OK, I think I understand what's going on here.  This person had a
window entitled "*scratch*".  He also had a file called "scratch" in
his pixmap path.  So when the window list was displayed, it saw
"*scratch*" and went looking for a pixmap called scratch.  Moral: the
searching for pixmaps and stuff when seeing a window entry such as
"*scratch*" should be turned off when displaying window lists.

> you can move windows in the pager. Word wrapping is clearly an

I haven't been able to move windows in the pager.  Is there an option
to do this?

> >  9769  ClickToFocus and SkipMapping don't interact properly.

To quote the original report:

  The ClickToFocus and SkipMapping styles don't interact properly.
  Replace your ~/.fvwm2rc with these two lines

    Style *     ClickToFocus
    Style test  StartsOnDesk 1, SkipMapping

  then start an xterm as "xterm -name test".  The display stays at
  desk 0 as it should, but the current window loses focus.

> >        missing files in standard places.

Again, to quote the original report:

  When I do a "PipeRead" fvwm2 should set environment variables like
  it does when using FvwmM4 (Ie: TWM_TYPE = fvwm2, WIDTH = 1152,
  HEIGHT = 900, etc)

  From what I can tell, the child inherits fvwm's environment.

  Also, when doing a PipeRead, specifing ".fvwm2/program" doesn't read
  ~/.fvwm2/program nor /etc/X11/fvwm2/.fvwm2/program.  Fvwm should
  treat PipeRead the same way it does Read, but also search the path
  if the program wasn't found.

> This has not been incorporated.

Is there any intention ever to do so?

Thanks,

   Julian