Subject: Public archive distributions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:57:45 -0500

I thought I'd break the discussion of LSM, etc. out into a separate
thread.

     I checked linux.org, and it looks as though the LSM is still alive and
well, currently maintained by Aaron Schrab <[email-masked]>. We should
send an updated copy of the lsm when we release 2.2.0. We should probably
send him a note requesting a clean-up, since there are currently 2 entries
(one for 2.0.42 and one for 2.0.43), both about to be out of date, and I
think it will require manual intervention on his part to fix this. I'll be
happy to take care of this, unless the Pumpking would rather do it.

     This brings up the subject of oher public archive sources for FVWM. I
certainly don't know all of them, but here are a few that I know of. Do we
want to try to update them (or get the archive maintainers to do so), or
just ignore them?

     - Sunsite Linux archive  --  The latest one they have is 2.0.43.

     - x.org  --  The latest they have in X11/contrib is 2.0.42.

     - Sunsite's Solaris package archive  --  This seems fairly active:
they have 2.0.40 and 2.1.5 (!) pre-built Solaris binaries. I believe that
Mark, the archive maintainer, does all the builds himself, rather than
taking binaries from just anyone. Probably a courtesy note to him
([email-masked]) would be in order on the day we release.

     I'll follow up on these, if you like. Does anyone know of any others?
Chuck, did you put up any of the common public archive copies, or did they
just appear from somewhere one day?

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:22:54 -0500 (EST)

> just appear from somewhere one day?

ftp://contrib.redhat.com

	Contains RPM's and SRPM's (source) for RedHat distributions
	(note that binary distributions are maintained for Intel, Sparc,
	Alphas (others?).

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

       "I suggest a new strategy, R2:  Let the Wookiee win." -- C-3PO

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:30:58 -0500 (EST)

>>>>> "Bob" == woodsy  <[email-masked]> writes:

....
Bob>      I'll follow up on these, if you like. Does anyone know of any others?
Bob> Chuck, did you put up any of the common public archive copies, or did they
Bob> just appear from somewhere one day?

The only updates I ever did were on the fvwm ftp site.  Sometimes the
source tar files would get mystereously uploaded to ftp.x.org, sunsite,
etc.  Have no idea who was doing that...

I never did any prebuilt binaries either, except for IBM internal ones.

Chuck

--
*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis and Balintawak Escrima]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:40:49 +0100

> I never did any prebuilt binaries either, except for IBM internal ones.

Hey, I should have known this when I was still working for IBM :)

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Feb 1999 12:17:49 -0500

%% [email-masked] writes:

  w> or just ignore them?

  w>      - Sunsite Linux archive  --  The latest one they have is 2.0.43.
  w>      - x.org  --  The latest they have in X11/contrib is 2.0.42.

We definitely want these two updated.  ftp.x.org is still just about the
first place I look for X software.  The fact that they only have 2.0.42
means they're not actively updating it.

Sunsite Linux is (IMO) less important: _most_ people use RPM or DEB
packages these days, it seems to me.

  w>      - Sunsite's Solaris package archive  --  This seems fairly active:
  w> they have 2.0.40 and 2.1.5 (!) pre-built Solaris binaries. I believe that
  w> Mark, the archive maintainer, does all the builds himself, rather than
  w> taking binaries from just anyone. Probably a courtesy note to him
  w> ([email-masked]) would be in order on the day we release.

That sounds good.

We should keep track of all the places and people we need to contact and
write it down in a file in the tree, so we don't forget it.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].