Subject: Gnome Mahjongg problem

From: Lee Skinol <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Feb 99 02:40:50 EDT

Here's one more problem I've run into.  The Gnome Mahjongg game
(distributed in gnome-games versions 0.99.3 and below - I haven't
checked 0.99.4 or higher) has a problem with every FVWM2 version
I've tried.  When the game comes up, its "body" is mapped "directly"
to the upper left of the screen.  A frame window appears on the
screen, and can be moved, but the game itself stays put in the upper
left.  The game also appears on all of the screen pages.

This application seems to be Ok in several other popular WMs.

If I kill FVWM2, and restart it while the game is running, it
will "capture" the game window and work correctly.  It's only
when the game starts after FVWM2 that the problem occurs.

Lastly, when the game runs, FVWM2 2.1.5 gives me the following
errors:

[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 1, Error 2, EventType: 20
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 20

Thanks,
Lee
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tomas Ogren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:49:19 +0100

> [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 20

I just committed the fix (in mahjongg) into gnome-cvs...

I don't know why, but some apps needs to get the main window realized
manually.. Otherwise funky stuff happens... Not sure if it's only fvwm
or any other WM has the same problem..

Any Gtk-expert know?

/Tomas
-- 
Tomas Ögren, [email-masked], http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå
`- Sysadmin at {ing,acc}.umu.se
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Owen Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Feb 1999 15:18:23 -0500

> or any other WM has the same problem..

I've looked into this. The problem is that GnomeApp/Dock does
some improper things which result in the application window
being temporarily created and mapped with an incorrect
minimum or maximum width/height. In some cases, this width/height
could be 0x0, which confuses the heck out of fvwm.

In detail, the problem is that gnome-app is changing its
requisition in its realization handler, which is just
a bad thing to do. (GTK+ runs the size_request before
the window is realized, so this change doesn't take
effect until the next idle queue run, and in between
things are in an odd state.)

Probably the right thing to do is to move the 
gnome_dock_add_from_layout() call and associated stuff from
gnome_app_realize() into gnome_app_size_request().

(GTK+ should probably refuse to set a maxium width
 height of zero, which would tame the problem to simply
 being a flash at the wrong size, but I think fixing
 gnome would be appropriate)

Regards,
                                        Owen