Subject: fvwm2.1 manpage

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:16:59 +0000 (GMT)

I've just been reading through the fvwm2.1 manpage in the 2.2 release,
and have observed a concerning number of problems.  In essence, they
seem to be related to the fact that this release was called fvwm2 at
one stage and fvwm now.  I'm really confused.  When should the manpage
talk about fvwm and when about fvwm2?

Some examples:

- The title is wrong (.TH line): it talks about FVWM (2.xx), with date
  "late 20th century".

- Is the program called fvwm or fvwm2?

- What are the filenames and directory paths used?  Do they have fvwm2
  or fvwm components?

- The documentation for Restart appears to say that fvwm will restart
  itself if Restart fvwm2 is called, but fvwm/fvwm.c seems to restart
  itself if Restart fvwm is called.

Please could someone "in the know" have a good read of the manpage and
update it for FVWM 2.2, then let us know that it's been done?

Thanks,

   Julian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [email-masked]
             Debian GNU/Linux Developer.  [email-masked]
       -*- Finger [email-masked] for my PGP public key. -*-
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:33:04 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> one stage and fvwm now.

> - Is the program called fvwm or fvwm2?

It is called fvwm2.  It *should* be called just fvwm, in my opinion.  It's
a trivial change that I'm MORE than happy to make.

Correspondingly, the config files should be named .fvwmrc NOT .fvwm2rc.
 
> - What are the filenames and directory paths used?  Do they have fvwm2

The module dir is by default /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/VERSION.  See
INSTALL.fvwm.

---

From: [email-masked] (Julian Gilbey)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:58:36 +0000 (GMT)

> a trivial change that I'm MORE than happy to make.

Erm, the manpage NAME section calls it fvwm2, but the SYNOPSIS
section says fvwm [options].  There are also a bewildering mixture of
occurrences of both fvwm and fvwm2, sometimes within the same
paragraph.  I'd be more than willing to help rewrite the manpage if
that's wanted.  There are also some references and fvwm-2.0.

Also, the INSTALL.fvwm doc talks about version 2.2.0, whereas the
current version is released as 2.2.

> Correspondingly, the config files should be named .fvwmrc NOT .fvwm2rc.

OK.  But one has to account for the possibility that .fvwmrc might be
the OLD config file.

> The module dir is by default /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/VERSION.  See

Oh, yes.  Duh!

   Julian