Subject: Menu positioning confusion

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:46:04 +0100

The explanation of the new positioning syntax should mention that
context-rectangle reverts to the default "Mouse", if the given
value doesn't make sense (at least that is the conclusion I reached
after some experiments - without looking at the code).

You might also want to emphasize that "current menu" means
the parent menu in the case of context-rectange Menu, but means
the one being popped up in the case of the "m" modifier.

I couldn't find out what some of the special flags try to achieve.
With

AddToMenu test3
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectInPlace
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectWarp
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectInPlace, WarpTitle
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectWarp, WarpTitle

I found when directly popping up test3, the first three entries
do what I think they should do, ie the first and third place the
menu title under the cursor, the second uses the position information.
But the last two seem to behave exactly like the first one, ie
SelectInPlace seems to be ignored when used with WarpTitle.
When using test3 as a submenu, I couldn't get SelectInPlace to
work at all, all five menus appeared with the title under the cursor.

By that time I was almost completely confused and added some more
enties

+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectInPlace, SelectWarp
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectWarp, SelectInPlace
+ sub Popup sub Context 100 100  WarpTitle

and was surprised to find that the first two work like no special
flags at all, while WarpTitle alone has a quite different
effect, namely it warps the pointer to the submenu immediately, ie
before selecting the item which pops the submenu up.

So I guess I should ask you for a little essay on how these
special options are supposed to work alone and in combination.

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 02:30:35 +0100

> after some experiments - without looking at the code).

Before I tell you the (rather simple) solutions to your problem

> the one being popped up in the case of the "m" modifier.

You're absolutely right. I'd be *very* grateful if someone would
rewrite the position hints part of the manpage. I'm unable to say
what has to be said in a simple way :(

>... 

This is absolutely useless. SelectWarp is ignored if not used
in conjunction with SelectInPlace.

> + sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectInPlace, WarpTitle

Another useless combination. You can't select a menu item
that has WarpTitle since the pointer is moved to the popup
menu as soon as you enter the menu item. Well, come to
think of it, if your popup delay is long enough you may
be able to do so.

> + sub Popup sub Context 100 100  SelectWarp, WarpTitle

Again, SelectWarp is (correctly) ignored here.

> work at all, all five menus appeared with the title under the cursor.

The solution is simple. You used 'SelectWarp,' and 'SelectInPlace,'
where you should have said 'SelectWarp' and 'SelectInPlace'. You
must not use commas to separate the options. The parser stops
reading tokens as soon as it find an option it does not understand
so not only the option with the comma is ignored but all others
after it too. This has to be changed in the future of course.

> flags at all,

See above comment. Actually there really is no special option.

> while WarpTitle alone has a quite different

That's exactly how it's supposed to work. WarpTitle and NoWarp
are used when the submenu is mapped while the pointer is still on
the parent menu. SelectInPlace and SelectWarp are used when
you click on the menu item (i.e. when you select it).

> special options are supposed to work alone and in combination.

As I said before, anyone who can improve the manpage on this
topic is very welcome. After six years studying maths I'm
sometimes unable to explain the most simple things (OK, it's
not simple, but that doesn't make it easier).

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 02:31:06 +0100

Bye

Dominik