Subject: rplay and readline headers

From: "Robert H. Ford II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:06:16 -0600

I downloaded fvwm-2.1.11 and I thought I would download and install rplay and
readline and play around with these features.

The only problem I have is that when I run configure, it can not find the header
files rplay.h or readline/readline.h.

I've ran configure with "--with-rplay-include=/opt/x11r6/include" and
"--with-readline-include=/opt/x11r6/include".  This does not help.

Here is what is in the config.log:

configure:4675: checking for rplay.h
configure:4685: gcc -E   conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:4681: rplay.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 4680 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <rplay.h>
configure:4778: checking for readline in -lreadline
configure:4797: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lreadline -lreadline -lterm
cap  1>&5
configure:4842: checking for readline/readline.h
configure:4852: gcc -E   conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:4848: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 4847 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <readline/readline.h>
configure:4945: checking for readline in -lreadline
configure:4964: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lreadline -lreadline -lncur
ses  1>&5
ld: fatal: library -lncurses: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:
#line 4953 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char readline();

int main() {
readline()
; return 0; }

If I edit the configure script and change line 4681 from "#include <$ac_hdr>" to
"#include "/opt/x11r6/include/$ac_hdr"" I can get configure to locate the rplay
header but I can not do the same for readline.

There must be an easy way to get this working, or maybe I'm missing something. 
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

-- 
    _/_/_/     _/  _/   _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/ Robert H. Ford II
   _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/    Lucent Technologies
  _/_/_/     _/_/_/   _/_/_/       _/    _/     Bell Labs Innovations
 _/   _/    _/  _/   _/           _/    _/      Naperville IL, 60566-7045
_/    _/   _/  _/   _/         _/_/_/_/_/_/     mailto:[email-masked]
                                                Voice: (630) 713-4957
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Feb 1999 16:32:02 -0500

%% "Robert H. Ford II" <[email-masked]> writes:

  rhf> I've ran configure with "--with-rplay-include=/opt/x11r6/include" and
  rhf> "--with-readline-include=/opt/x11r6/include".  This does not help.

You must use --with-readline-includes=....
                                    ^
(note plural)  See the INSTALL.fvwm file or "configure --help".

Does the file /opt/x11r6/include/readline/readline.h exist on your
                                 ^^^^^^^^
system?  Ditto for /opt/x11r6/include/rplay.h?

  rhf> configure:4842: checking for readline/readline.h
  rhf> configure:4852: gcc -E   conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
  rhf> configure:4848: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory

See, this is wrong: there's no -I on the compile line so of course the
compiler can't find the header file.  This is probably due to the
misspelled option, above.

If you still can't get it to work, please resubmit a bug report with:

  * The kind of OS and hardware you're using.

  * The _exact_ command line you used to invoke configure (cut and
    paste, please).

  * The output configure generated to the screen when looking for
    readline and rplay.

  * The sections of config.log (as you provided here) related to
    readline and rplay.

  * Look on your system for where readline and rplay were installed and
    provide full paths to the readline.h, rplay.h, libreadline.a, and
    librplay.a files.

Thx!

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:37:52 -0500 (EST)

> "--with-readline-include=/opt/x11r6/include".  This does not help.

Try using --with-foo-includes and see if that helps.
                           ^^^
Note the 's'.

Also, readline.h expects to be in a subdirectory named 'readline'.  In
your case, the header should be at

	/opt/x11r6/include/readline/readline.h

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Don't know what I want, but I know how to get it.

---

From: "Robert H. Ford II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:09:35 -0600

It's the little things in life that can really bring you down.  I knew to type
that silly little "s" in "--with-foo-include" but didn't.  That not only wasted
a few hours of my time, but also your valued time.  I am ashamed.

Thank you for your courteous responses, this was just a silly mind block.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:02:31 +0000

> Try using --with-foo-includes and see if that helps.

This is probably an automake feature but I thought that GNU long options
let you use abbreviations as long as they were unambiguous.  Is
--with-foo-inc a subset of --with-foo-includes?  If it is then shouldn't
configure be happy? If it isn't then configure should complain.  This
sort of problem is going to plague us especially as --with-foo-library
isn't --with-foo-libraries.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 01:12:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Sorry if this already got answered; I may have skipped over it.  I'm just
catching up on emails after 10 days out of the country. 

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Tim Phipps wrote:

> let you use abbreviations as long as they were unambiguous. 

It hasn't much to do with GNU long options, because the option parsing is
done in shell script that autoconf generates.

For the STANDARD "configure" options, such as "--bindir", unambiguous
prefixes are allowed.  For the "--with-*" and "--enable-*", they are not.
You'll have to take it up with the autoconf folks to change this.

> Is
> configure be happy? If it isn't then configure should complain.  

The configure script will not complain about illegal options.  I think
this is goofy, too, but this is by design, and I think the autoconf people
have a rationale for this behaviour.  I can't recall where I saw the
rationale spelled out, however. 

> This

Istanbul was Constantinople,
now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople.
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'!