Subject: Re: FVWM: FvwmScroll colors

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:06:05 -0500

On Mon, 01 Feb 1999 17:49:34 +0100
TG <[email-masked]> 
wrote concerning 'FVWM: FvwmScroll colors':
> 
> I have some problems viewing the FvwmScroll's scroll bars. I only see
> black margins around my window contents, but no sliders, buttons and
> other stuff. It still works though, but you just have to "guess" the
> slider's positions etc. This happens both with and without the
> FvwmScrollFore and FvwmScrollBack configuration options.
> 
> Using fvwm2.1.10.

I see this also, with 2.1.4 and 2.1.10.

This was OK with 2.0.46. I suspect it derives from the new algorithm
for doing shading. I found that the FvwmScrollBack config works just
fine like this, however ... 

  *FvwmScrollBack Grey

Note to fvwm-workers ... black is a bad choice for default colour
given the new algorithm. Does someone want to change the following
default to something more sensible?

  FvwmScroll.c:52:char *BackColor = "black";

Cheers
Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:30:03 +0000

>   FvwmScroll.c:52:char *BackColor = "black";

I think the problem here is not the background colour being black but
the shadow/relief colours being the same as the background.  The colour
picking part of the library could be changed to pick white if it can't
allocate the colour it calculates from the background. (or pick black if
the background is white)

Cheers,
Tim.