Subject: Re: Menus as a module ?

From: "Tim Phipps" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:19:04 -0000

>> The idea is to move the whole menu code to a module.

A big bridge to burn. I don't have a problem with a module that does
menus but I wouldn't like to have to rely on a module for menus. What if
fvwm can't find the module? What if you run out of process space and
can't fork? How would fvwm behave if it tried to do something while the
module had the server grabbed?

By all means do a module but what are the advantages of having menus
from a module rather than just a straight X program? You can get input
to the program from Exec and you can communicate with fvwm using
FvwmCommand, FvwmPipe etc.

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:02:51 +0100

> module had the server grabbed?

Well, you can already get problems like that: try 

fvwm2 -cmd 'FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc.m4' 

with FvwmM4 in some place different from the hardcoded default.
 
> FvwmCommand, FvwmPipe etc.

If you go that route, you have to invent new syntax for defining
menus for the external program. I had the vision of transparently
replacing the builtin menus by gtk menus without rewriting config
files. 
 
-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].