Subject: bugs

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:53:22 -0800

Hi, I entered bug #71 in jitterbug. It's got to do with transients and
such. Anyway, I never realized it's just a restatement of the
override-redirect bug explicitly mentioned in the docs. So, since
those are now fixed by Matthias' patch, so too is bug #71. Could
someone with update access refile it out of confirmed and into fixed?

I also added a new bug about 3d effects and offset positioning in
menus.

Finally, does anyone know if cvs has a builtin directive (or
conveniently stores in some file) telling me when I did my last cvs
update?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:13:29 -0800

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 10:53:22AM -0800, Michael Han wrote:

> Finally, does anyone know if cvs has a builtin directive (or conveniently
> stores in some file) telling me when I did my last cvs update?

Unless you've hand-modified it, CVS/Entries gets the timestamp of when you
performed the update.  I've been using that time to label my fvwm versions.

Danek

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:09:16 -0500 (EST)

> someone with update access refile it out of confirmed and into fixed?

	Done.

	Do I take it that you have updated your system from CVS since
last night, and verified that the problem, as you reported it, is fixed?

- Bob

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:33:26 -0800

Previously...
>> someone with update access refile it out of confirmed and into fixed?

Thanks.

>last night, and verified that the problem, as you reported it, is fixed?

Yes, I just managed to catch your update. Your fix definitely covers
#71, as I reported it. Thanks for fixing it.

Incidentally, I figure this will probably come up at some point, so I
may as well ask the question... with StartsOnPage & SkipMapping both
on and doing what they're supposed to, I notice that placement of the
window: 1) doesn't seem to account for sticky windows and 2) doesn't
seem to avoid (with SmartPlacement also enabled) windows properly. I'm
having some trouble verifying 2) because my StartsOnPage + SkipMapping
+ SmartPlacement + SmartPlacementIsReallySmart combo behaves oddly
(seems to reverse the sign on the geometry at times -- thinking it's a
bug in my server). This is something that would be difficult to change
(assuming I'm seeing intended behavior), I take it? If not, I'm sure
it'll become a feature request, from me if from no one else...
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not Xerox my butt
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:35:25 +0100

> it'll become a feature request, from me if from no one else...

Hi Mike,

have you ever considered asking for commit privileges on the CVS tree?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:02:41 -0800

Previously...
>have you ever considered asking for commit privileges on the CVS tree?

Err, no. I've never had a patch accepted into the tree, so it hasn't
come up yet. Besides, I don't think you guys want me to have commit
privs... Though write access for jitterbug I could see. I've now got
quite a few in there (four I think).
-- 
[email-masked]
Tar is not a plaything
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:33:33 +0100

> quite a few in there (four I think).

Well, this was a bit impulsive on my side, but I won't back
down easily. Perhaps I'm trying to shanghai you ;-) We have
a lot of people on the lists that are enthusiastic but few
show the keen understanding of what goes on in the code and
the same level-headedness as you do. Or as I had had said in
German: who know where the hammer is hanging.

The main criterion for me is that people see the whole picture
before they begin patching. I wouldn't fear you having commit
priviledges. And we need able and enthusiastic folks to help
us. At the moment there are six active persons with commit
priviledges (you can't really count Jason and Brady). Steve
Robbins and Paul Smith do a lot for portability. With Dan
Espen, Bob Woodside, Tim Phipps and me that makes about four
people that are working on new features or enhancement
requests in the near future. Not many if you have seen our
to do list, all the unapplied patches and open bugs.

In the end it's your decision how you want to spend your
spare time, but if you spend some on fvwm you're welcome.
If you feel uncomfortable or think my trust is misplaced
you might als well start with write access to Jitterbug.
I would greatly welcome this. So, why don't you talk about
this with Jason?

And perhaps most important: Five months ago I knew almost
nothing about fvwm (apart from two patches I created). Since
I took up all these responsibilities I've spent nearly as
much time on fvwm as on my job. This won't continue much
longer (to be precise, no longer than until 2.2 as I always
said from the start). I want to lean back comfortably and
watch others doing the dirty work for a while then :)

Think about it.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:58:47 -0500 (EST)

Michael Han <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> ... with StartsOnPage & SkipMapping both on...I notice that placement of the
> window: 1) doesn't seem to account for sticky windows

	Ok, I looked at it. CleverPlacement has never quite handled the
SkipMapping case properly, but StartsOnPage reversed the symptom.

	Prior to the 2.1 betas, CleverPlacement didn't avoid windows on
the target page if you had SkipMapping and StartsOnDesk,because it
always calculated interference with windows in the current viewport.
It did, however, avoid sticky windows, quite by accident...becase, of
course, they're always in the current viewport.

	StartsOnPage changed the logic to avoid windows on the target
page, not necessarily the current one. Unfortunately, I overlooked
the case of sticky windows, so now sticky windows aren't avoided but
regular windows are.

	I'll get to work on it as soon as I can.

- Bob