Subject: Info before announcement

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:19:58 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone!

	I noticed recently that fvwm.org had not been registered.  I
thought about it a bit and decided to register it.  I work at an ISP, so
it costs me nothing to DNS host it, and I love fvwm, so I thought it would
be a good thing to do.  Right now, I have pointed www.fvwm.org to
fvwm.math.uh.edu.  I have not set any other info up for the domain.

	I wanted to tell everyone and find out what everyone wants to do
with the domain.  I want everyone to know that I got the domain for the
fvwm team, not for personal use... so I wanted to put it up for you all to
talk about.  I thought this was an appropriate time, with fvwm 2.2 about
to be released.  

	I also wanted to offer up some server-space for fvwm.  I have a
P-Pro 200 web server with a couple web sites on it (not many) and a few
gig of space, if we want to use it to host fvwm, or perhaps mirror the
main site.  (We're connected to MAE East and MAE west, among other
interconnect points, so we have some pretty decent bandwidth)

	On another note related to 2.2 release, I think it would be a good
idea to create a new sample .fvwmrc file, something that demonstrates some
of our newer features... and proves how cool the new stuff is.  I would be
willing to put something together if no-one else would rather do it.

Thoughts?

Jay

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jan 1999 17:42:07 -0600

>>>>> "J" == Jay  <[email-masked]> writes:

J> I noticed recently that fvwm.org had not been registered.  I
J> thought about it a bit and decided to register it.

I just got approval to run name servers for external domains on Friday and
have already registered some .cx domains for myself (hey, they're much
cheaper than .org) but wanted to consult the group before blowing $100 on
fvwm.org.  Fortunately I now don't have to.

J> Right now, I have pointed www.fvwm.org to fvwm.math.uh.edu.

You just chained CNAMES; I believe that's illegal.  fvwm.math.uh.edu is a
CNAME for larry.math.uh.edu, which runs Apache with name-based virtual
domains:

XYX:epithumia:~/fvwm> host www.fvwm.org
www.fvwm.org is a nickname for fvwm.math.uh.edu
fvwm.math.uh.edu is a nickname for larry.math.uh.edu
larry.math.uh.edu has address 129.7.128.51

J> I wanted to tell everyone and find out what everyone wants to do with
J> the domain.

Cool.  We had talked about it and several folks wanted to chip in for the
fee but at the time I wasn't allowed to do the hosting.

I don't really care who does the DNS, but it might be easier if I'm the
primary because I might need to move things around depending on hardware
issues and other things that nobody should have to worry about but me.
Having a geographically separated secondary or two is always a plus,
though.  (Heck, I'd love to have that for my personal domains.)

J> I also wanted to offer up some server-space for fvwm.

I think we're doing fine by server space at the moment but mirrors never
hurt anyone.  (Unless the group objects; if folks want to move the servers
then I won't fight over it.  I don't have any personal stake in any of
this.)

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 17 Jan 1999 02:25:35 -0500

%% Jay <[email-masked]> writes:

  j> 	I noticed recently that fvwm.org had not been registered.  I
  j> thought about it a bit and decided to register it.  I work at an
  j> ISP, so it costs me nothing to DNS host it, and I love fvwm, so I
  j> thought it would be a good thing to do.  Right now, I have pointed
  j> www.fvwm.org to fvwm.math.uh.edu.  I have not set any other info up
  j> for the domain.

Cool!  There was discussion on the list about this recently and we had
various volunteers to chip in $$, but Jason wasn't sure he could host it
so we didn't do anything about it at the time.

  j> 	I also wanted to offer up some server-space for fvwm.  I have a
  j> P-Pro 200 web server with a couple web sites on it (not many) and a few
  j> gig of space, if we want to use it to host fvwm, or perhaps mirror the
  j> main site.  (We're connected to MAE East and MAE west, among other
  j> interconnect points, so we have some pretty decent bandwidth)

Jason has a lot of stuff on his current site, including the mailing
lists, archives, CVS repository, Jitterbug database, in addition to the
web pages themselves.  I think (myself) it would be best to leave it
where it is since it took some work and seems to be working quite well.
As long as Jason doesn't mind, of course.

  j> 	On another note related to 2.2 release, I think it would be a
  j> good idea to create a new sample .fvwmrc file, something that
  j> demonstrates some of our newer features... and proves how cool the
  j> new stuff is.  I would be willing to put something together if
  j> no-one else would rather do it.

I think this would be good, esp. if there were copious comments on what
is being done, and they displayed some of the more interesting things
that are possible.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:47:33 -0500 (EST)

> CNAME for larry.math.uh.edu, which runs Apache with name-based virtual

	My bad.  I've fixed that.  =)

> though.  (Heck, I'd love to have that for my personal domains.)

	I am easily reached to change DNS records... I'm on the machines
every day... but if you prefer I'd be more than happy to have my servers
pull from a primary at your site.  If you really want, I'll add your site
to the NIC records as well.

> then I won't fight over it.  I don't have any personal stake in any of

	That's cool by me.  Just wanted to make the offer...  I'm still
willing to mirror... at least on web pages, I'll do backup-mail-spooling
if you want as well.  

Jay

---

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:54:07 -0500 (EST)

> As long as Jason doesn't mind, of course.

	Understandable.  As I mentioned, I'm still willing to mirror. =)

> is being done, and they displayed some of the more interesting things

	Cool! =)  If no-one objects, I'll start working on this.  I would
like input on what I should put in there.  I'm pretty familiar with
gradients and menus... but I've not played with much else since 2.0.46...
Suggestions anyone?  

Jay