Subject: depressed borders

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:04:19 +0100

I just noticed the follwoing: the window borders do
not change their appearance upon buttonpress, unless
I disable the MWMButtons style. But I'd like
to have both. Is this a bug or a feature ? The 
relevant code is in borders.c, line 440, but I
didn't have time to figure out how to correct it.

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:26:00 +0000

> didn't have time to figure out how to correct it.

It's a bug.  The border depressing thingy should be controlled by the
Emulate command.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:18:08 +0100

> It's a bug.  The border depressing thingy should be controlled by the

Remember the Emulate command does about nothing despite
the grand name. We could enhance it in the future to
control lots of things (like all the MWM style options).

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:19:24 +0100

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:51:58 +0100

> It's a bug.  The border depressing thingy should be controlled by the

I've never seen mwm, but CDE's dtwm which I assume is mostly like mwm
does not depress borders either. So I wouldn't call this a bug but
a bit of mwm compatibility.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:41:06 -0500 (EST)

> a bit of mwm compatibility.

	I just dropped into mwm to verify this, and mwm definitely
*does not* depress the borders.

	But maybe this is the bug part: what I observe is that setting
MWMButtons has the effect of turning off the border depression, but
setting MWMBorder does not. It seems to me that the border depression
should be a function of the MWMBorder/FvwmBorder setting, and not the
MWMButtons/FvwmButtons setting. 

- Bob

---

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:00:49 +0100

> MWMButtons/FvwmButtons setting. 

This is what I would expect, too. It is nice to have a good mwm 
emulation, but it is even nicer if I can just pick the parts of
it I like (like MWMbuttons) and still have other things come from
fvwm. A global "Emulate MWM" cannot give me that flexibility.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:30:58 +0100

> fvwm. A global "Emulate MWM" cannot give me that flexibility.

The Emulate command is a bit of a hack anyway. When I rewrote the
MenuStyle code there were bits in the code not related with menus
but controlled by the menu style. These are now handled by emulate.
Most things hardly justify a separate configuration option.

I wonder if we should carry the mwm vs. fvwm configurability this
far. You can have Motif look and feel without copying each and
every minor feature. The SerparatorsShort vs. SeparatorsLong
MenuStyle options are a good example. Nobody would consider fvwm
as mwm incompatible if the menu separators are a pixel or two
longer or shorter than mwm's. We could try to clean up such minute
details and leave only the noticable options in.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].