Subject: Non-standard XPM libs. 'not found' by 2.1.5 configure

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:16:05 +0000

Following on to my hassles with 2.1.5's 'configure' & my local
installations of xpm & readline: I'm attaching the output & log of
configure, and the mini-script I used to run it (with the relevant
parameters.

  Of course, at this stage, there's every chance I'm just being a plonker!
My current build worked after I edited configure to not unset the XPM_
vars. (etc.) if it thought the files weren't there (after the other tests
had passed!).

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 361 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-154 days! ]

configure  \
   --prefix=/home/nabird/opt/fvwm2  \
   --with-xpm-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib/libXpm.a  \
   --with-xpm-includes=/home/nabird/usr/include  \
   --with-rplay-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a  \
   --with-rplay-includes=/home/nabird/usr/include  \
   --with-readline-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib/libreadline.a  \
   --with-readline-includes=/home/nabird/usr/include  \
   --enable-extras
Script started on Tue Jan 05 10:59:45 1999
[101/wsc102]-=> source conf
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking whether to enable modal dialogs for applications... yes
checking whether to enable saveunders for pop-up menus... yes
checking whether to enable shape extensions... yes
checking whether to enable ActiveDown button state... yes
checking whether to enable Inactive button state... yes
checking whether to enable MiniIcon style option... yes
checking whether to enable vector button style... yes
checking whether to enable pixmap button style... yes
checking whether to enable gradient button style... yes
checking whether to enable stacked button styles... yes
checking whether to enable styled title-bars... yes
checking whether to enable BorderStyle command... yes
checking whether to enable UseDecor style option... yes
checking whether to enable WindowShade function... yes
checking whether to enable debugging messages... no
checking iconpath... /usr/include/X11/bitmaps:/usr/include/X11/pixmaps
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for vfprintf... yes
checking for waitpid... yes
checking for c++... c++
Using c++ to compile C++ programs
checking for c++... (cached) c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/openwin/lib, headers /usr/openwin/include
checking whether -R must be followed by a space... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking for connect... no
checking for connect in -lsocket... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... no
checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
checking for X11/xpm.h... yes
Using xpm library
checking for rplay_create in -lrplay... no
configure: warning: Requested rplay library not found!
checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
Using readline library
checking for cpp... /lib/cpp
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... :
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... (cached) flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... no
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for getopt.h... no
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking for sys/systeminfo.h... yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for off_t... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for strftime... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for mkfifo... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for setvbuf... yes
checking for socket... no
checking for waitpid... (cached) yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strstr... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for memcpy... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for uname... yes
checking for div... yes
checking whether setvbuf arguments are reversed... no
checking for gethostname... no
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for usleep... no
checking for connect... (cached) no
checking for connect in -lsocket... (cached) yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating libs/Makefile
creating fvwm/Makefile
creating modules/Makefile
creating extras/Makefile
creating utils/Makefile
creating xpmroot/Makefile
creating docs/Makefile
creating icons/Makefile
Can't open ./icons/Makefile.in
creating sample.fvwmrc/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmAnimate/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmAudio/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmAuto/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmBacker/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmBanner/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmButtons/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmCpp/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmEvent/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmForm/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmIconBox/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmIconMan/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmIdent/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmM4/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmPager/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmRearrange/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmSave/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmSaveDesk/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmScroll/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmTalk/Makefile
creating modules/FvwmWinList/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmCommand/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmConfig/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmConsole/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmDebug/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmGoodStuff/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmPipe/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmScript/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmScript/Scripts/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmScript/Scripts/some_nice_icons/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmScript/Widgets/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmTaskBar/Makefile
creating extras/FvwmWharf/Makefile
creating config.h
[102/wsc102]-=> exit
[103/wsc102]-=> 
script done on Tue Jan 05 11:09:50 1999
# This file is a shell script that caches the results of configure
# tests run on this system so they can be shared between configure
# scripts and configure runs.  It is not useful on other systems.
# If it contains results you don't want to keep, you may remove or edit it.
#
# By default, configure uses ./config.cache as the cache file,
# creating it if it does not exist already.  You can give configure
# the --cache-file=FILE option to use a different cache file; that is
# what configure does when it calls configure scripts in
# subdirectories, so they share the cache.
# Giving --cache-file=/dev/null disables caching, for debugging configure.
# config.status only pays attention to the cache file if you give it the
# --recheck option to rerun configure.
#
ac_cv_c_const=${ac_cv_c_const='yes'}
ac_cv_c_inline=${ac_cv_c_inline='inline'}
ac_cv_func_connect=${ac_cv_func_connect='no'}
ac_cv_func_div=${ac_cv_func_div='yes'}
ac_cv_func_gethostbyname=${ac_cv_func_gethostbyname='no'}
ac_cv_func_gethostname=${ac_cv_func_gethostname='no'}
ac_cv_func_gettimeofday=${ac_cv_func_gettimeofday='yes'}
ac_cv_func_memcpy=${ac_cv_func_memcpy='yes'}
ac_cv_func_memmove=${ac_cv_func_memmove='yes'}
ac_cv_func_mkfifo=${ac_cv_func_mkfifo='yes'}
ac_cv_func_putenv=${ac_cv_func_putenv='yes'}
ac_cv_func_remove=${ac_cv_func_remove='yes'}
ac_cv_func_select=${ac_cv_func_select='yes'}
ac_cv_func_setvbuf=${ac_cv_func_setvbuf='yes'}
ac_cv_func_setvbuf_reversed=${ac_cv_func_setvbuf_reversed='no'}
ac_cv_func_shmat=${ac_cv_func_shmat='yes'}
ac_cv_func_socket=${ac_cv_func_socket='no'}
ac_cv_func_strcasecmp=${ac_cv_func_strcasecmp='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strchr=${ac_cv_func_strchr='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strdup=${ac_cv_func_strdup='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strerror=${ac_cv_func_strerror='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strftime=${ac_cv_func_strftime='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strncasecmp=${ac_cv_func_strncasecmp='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strstr=${ac_cv_func_strstr='yes'}
ac_cv_func_strtol=${ac_cv_func_strtol='yes'}
ac_cv_func_sysconf=${ac_cv_func_sysconf='yes'}
ac_cv_func_uname=${ac_cv_func_uname='yes'}
ac_cv_func_usleep=${ac_cv_func_usleep='no'}
ac_cv_func_vfprintf=${ac_cv_func_vfprintf='yes'}
ac_cv_func_waitpid=${ac_cv_func_waitpid='yes'}
ac_cv_have_x=${ac_cv_have_x='have_x=yes 		ac_x_includes=/usr/openwin/include ac_x_libraries=/usr/openwin/lib'}
ac_cv_header_X11_xpm_h=${ac_cv_header_X11_xpm_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_fcntl_h=${ac_cv_header_fcntl_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_getopt_h=${ac_cv_header_getopt_h='no'}
ac_cv_header_limits_h=${ac_cv_header_limits_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_malloc_h=${ac_cv_header_malloc_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_memory_h=${ac_cv_header_memory_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_minix_config_h=${ac_cv_header_minix_config_h='no'}
ac_cv_header_readline_readline_h=${ac_cv_header_readline_readline_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_stdarg_h=${ac_cv_header_stdarg_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_stdc=${ac_cv_header_stdc='yes'}
ac_cv_header_stdlib_h=${ac_cv_header_stdlib_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_string_h=${ac_cv_header_string_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_select_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_select_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_systeminfo_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_systeminfo_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_sys_wait_h=${ac_cv_header_sys_wait_h='yes'}
ac_cv_header_unistd_h=${ac_cv_header_unistd_h='yes'}
ac_cv_lib_ICE_IceConnectionNumber=${ac_cv_lib_ICE_IceConnectionNumber='no'}
ac_cv_lib_Xpm_XpmReadFileToXpmImage=${ac_cv_lib_Xpm_XpmReadFileToXpmImage='yes'}
ac_cv_lib_dnet_dnet_ntoa=${ac_cv_lib_dnet_dnet_ntoa='no'}
ac_cv_lib_dnet_stub_dnet_ntoa=${ac_cv_lib_dnet_stub_dnet_ntoa='no'}
ac_cv_lib_fl_yywrap=${ac_cv_lib_fl_yywrap='no'}
ac_cv_lib_nsl_gethostbyname=${ac_cv_lib_nsl_gethostbyname='yes'}
ac_cv_lib_readline_readline=${ac_cv_lib_readline_readline='yes'}
ac_cv_lib_rplay_rplay_create=${ac_cv_lib_rplay_rplay_create='no'}
ac_cv_lib_socket_connect=${ac_cv_lib_socket_connect='yes'}
ac_cv_path_FVWM_CPP=${ac_cv_path_FVWM_CPP='/lib/cpp'}
ac_cv_prog_CC=${ac_cv_prog_CC='gcc'}
ac_cv_prog_CPP=${ac_cv_prog_CPP='gcc -E'}
ac_cv_prog_CXX=${ac_cv_prog_CXX='c++'}
ac_cv_prog_LEX=${ac_cv_prog_LEX='flex'}
ac_cv_prog_LN_S=${ac_cv_prog_LN_S='ln -s'}
ac_cv_prog_RANLIB=${ac_cv_prog_RANLIB=':'}
ac_cv_prog_cc_cross=${ac_cv_prog_cc_cross='no'}
ac_cv_prog_cc_g=${ac_cv_prog_cc_g='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_cc_works=${ac_cv_prog_cc_works='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_cxx_cross=${ac_cv_prog_cxx_cross='no'}
ac_cv_prog_cxx_g=${ac_cv_prog_cxx_g='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_cxx_works=${ac_cv_prog_cxx_works='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_gcc=${ac_cv_prog_gcc='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_gxx=${ac_cv_prog_gxx='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_lex_root=${ac_cv_prog_lex_root='lex.yy'}
ac_cv_prog_lex_yytext_pointer=${ac_cv_prog_lex_yytext_pointer='yes'}
ac_cv_prog_make_make_set=${ac_cv_prog_make_make_set='yes'}
ac_cv_type_off_t=${ac_cv_type_off_t='yes'}
ac_cv_type_pid_t=${ac_cv_type_pid_t='yes'}
ac_cv_type_signal=${ac_cv_type_signal='void'}
ac_cv_type_size_t=${ac_cv_type_size_t='yes'}

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Jan 1999 11:01:13 -0500

%% Neil Bird <[email-masked]> writes:

  nb> configure  \
  nb>    --prefix=/home/nabird/opt/fvwm2  \
  nb>    --with-xpm-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib/libXpm.a  \
  nb>    --with-xpm-includes=/home/nabird/usr/include  \
  nb>    --with-rplay-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a  \
  nb>    --with-rplay-includes=/home/nabird/usr/include  \
  nb>    --with-readline-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib/libreadline.a  \
  nb>    --with-readline-includes=/home/nabird/usr/include  \
  nb>    --enable-extras

I usually just set the *-library option to the directory, not the full
library name, like this:

  --with-xpm-library=/home/nabird/usr/lib

But...

  nb> checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... yes
  nb> checking for X11/xpm.h... yes
  nb> Using xpm library

It seems to have worked anyway.

Strange.  What does config.h look like after this?  Is XPM defined?
What about fvwm/Makefile?  What are xpm_CFLAGS and xpm_LIBS set to?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:22:28 +0000

"Paul D. Smith" wrote:
> ...

  Sorry for the confusion - yes, I tried both, not being /sure/ and seeing
it not work - the conf I posted just happened to be my last-ditch attempt
at making it work! Neither way cut the mustard.

> It seems to have worked anyway.

  Oh dear. Have I posted completely the wrong files?? <looks...> nope,
that's right. I may have managed to make it work by virtue having had it
work before ('cos of my editing configure).

  I've just had a look at the freshly created fvwm/Makefile, and it does
have XPM in it, which means that what I posted was completely useless -
sorry!

  I'll do it all again from a fresh untar in a while.

> What about fvwm/Makefile?  What are xpm_CFLAGS and xpm_LIBS set to?

  I can tell you that - the bit I changed in configure was that bit that
/cleared/ xpm_* ... so they were unset with the normal configure.

  I'll retry & repost if I get something sensible.

-- 
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 360 days remaining
 mailto:[email-masked] |                           [ T-153 days! ]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:48:47 +0000

The bl**dy thing seems to be working now :-/

  However, the rplay isn't, and is doing a similar/same thing to what
xpm/rplay did before when it didn't work, so maybe it's of some use.

  The relevant bit out of configure is:

...

  The XPM problem was the same, but it claimed to have found the X11/xpm.h
beforehand, just not the entry on the library.

  I'm now specifiying the --...library= correctly as a directory.

  More info:

configure:3009: checking for rplay_create in -lrplay
configure:3028: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lrplay
-L/home/nabird/usr/l
ib -lrplay  1>&5
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
socket                             
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
gethostbyname                      
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
setsockopt                         
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
getservbyname                      
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
inet_addr                          
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
inet_ntoa                          
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
gethostname                        
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
connect                            
/home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:
#line 3017 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char rplay_create();

int main() {
rplay_create()
; return 0; }

  I wish I'd noticed the config.log stuff before; it looks like the most
useful. I'll analyse it tomorrow; I'm off home now.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Jan 1999 13:56:55 -0500

nb> ...
  nb> checking for rplay_create in -lrplay... no
  nb> configure: warning: Requested rplay library not found!
  nb> ...

  nb>   The XPM problem was the same, but it claimed to have found the
  nb> X11/xpm.h beforehand, just not the entry on the library.

Hm.  I know why _this_ one is broken:

  nb> configure:3009: checking for rplay_create in -lrplay
  nb> configure:3028: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lrplay
  nb> -L/home/nabird/usr/l
  nb> ib -lrplay  1>&5
  nb> Undefined                       first referenced
  nb>  symbol                             in file
  nb> socket                          /home/nabird/usr/lib/librplay.a(rplay.o)

Obviously rplay requires socket, etc. which is probably contained in
-lsocket or -lnsl or similar on your system.  Configure checks for this
but apparently the results of that check aren't being used correctly
when testing rplay (you can see there's nothing like that on the link
line).

I don't have rplay so I can't really test this, but I'll peek into
configure to see if I can see something obvious.

But, my system (Solaris) also requires these and my XPM tests work OK,
so I'm not sure it's the same problem.

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:02:14 -0500 (EST)

On 5 Jan 1999, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> Strange.

Strange, perhaps, but it works that way by design.  See INSTALL.fvwm: 

If configure doesn't do the right thing, try one or more of the
following flags (examples assume library is named "foo"):

    --without-foo-library    to disable probing for libfoo
    --with-foo-library=FILE  to specify the library name
    --with-foo-library=DIR   to specify directory containing libfoo

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

A man came up to me and said, "I'd like to change your mind,
by hitting it with a rock," he said, "though I am not unkind."