Subject: "prepop" menus?

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 28 Jan 1999 13:24:47 -0500

Looking through the MenuStyle code, there are some really cool things in
there.

But, I see this:

          PrepopMenus and PrepopMenusOff turn prepop menus on and off  (see
          PopupDelay)

What is a "prepop menu"?

I actually see this a lot in the fvwm and modules man pages: these new
(to me, anyway) terms are used and not really well-defined.  It'd be
nice if some kind of basic description was provided, even of things like
gradients, etc.

Maybe a glossary section, or some kind of "Features" section at the
beginning of the man page that describes stuff like this.  I dunno.

On another note, why do we have:

    TitleUnderlines0, TitleUnderlines1 and  TitleUnderlines2

instead of:

    TitleUnderlines [n]

where "n" is 1, 2, or 3?  Just curious...

And I would like clarification of how PopupOffset works with two args:
the first moves the menu by pixels, and the second by percentage of the
parent menu's width: what happens if I use both, like "50 50"?  Do I get
it shifted 50% + 50 pixels to the right?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:07:03 +0100

>           PrepopMenus and PrepopMenusOff turn prepop menus on and off  (see

The user should never encounter this term. A prepop menu is a submenu
that is popped up without the pointer in it. The menu code draws the
menu but remains in the code handling the parent (i.e. the menu is
'prepopped'). With fvwm menus you do not need to 'prepop' because
the pointer is in the menu immediately. This was needed once because if
you called MenuInteraction to handle the submenu but the pointer
was not inside the new menu, it would have re-entered the parent as soon
as you moved the mouse. However this is an obsolete term since there
is no difference between prepop and non-prepop anymore.

Oops, I see that this term slipped into the manpage. I will rename
it to 'PopupImmediately' with my next commit.

> where "n" is 1, 2, or 3?  Just curious...

A relic of the old menu code. The menu style (mwm/fvwm/win) used to
determine of 0, 1 or 2 lines were drawn under a title entry. Not
wanting to change anything I made that an option when I removed the
three menu styles (same with 'SeparatorsLong' and 'SeparatorsShort').

> it shifted 50% + 50 pixels to the right?

Yes. I'll update the manpage.

--- 20 hours later ---

Argh, I didn't send this mail. Replace 'I will' with 'I have'.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]