Subject: Creating iconified windows broken

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:48:20 -0500

Anyone else see this:

I have a keybinding for creating iconfied rxvts.

Key s R C Exec exec rxvt -iconic

I use this placment style:

Style "*" ActivePlacement, SmartPlacement

When there isn't   room  to place  the  full size   window, I  get   a
rubberband  and have to hit  return for the  icon to be created.  Even
worse, the  icon  is often placed  offscreen, depending  on  where the
rubberband is.

This  doesn't happen with  2.0.46.  I'm  not sure  when it surfaced in
2.1.x.  I think its pretty bad.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:50:11 -0500 (EST)

Dan Espen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm  not sure  when it surfaced in 2.1.x.  I think its pretty bad.

	Mea culpa. I broke this when I "fixed" the "StartsOnPage doesn't
work with -iconic" problem. Obviously, the non-StartsOnPage + -iconic
cases need to follow the old code path.

	I'll be happy to commit the fix if we have a consensus that this
should override the code freeze. (I vote yes.)

	I'd like to test it a bit more while waiting for the votes to
come in.

- Bob

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:30:46 -0500 (EST)

Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 	I'll be happy to commit the fix if we have a consensus...
> 	I'd like to test it a bit more...

	By the way, in order to try to satisfy both your case and
the "I want StartsOnPage to work with -iconic" case, a compromise
has to be made. To insure that the old handling obtains (don't
get fancy with placement if the window is starting iconic) *and*
you have a StartsOnPage + -iconic window that falls back to
ActivePlacement  --  got all that?  --  you'll need to add
GlobalOpts ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage to your .fvwm2rc.

- Bob

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:33:26 -0500

> GlobalOpts ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage to your .fvwm2rc.

I think   so.  I currently only   plan to use  starts  on page for non
iconic windows.  I take it that

 "GlobalOpts ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage"

would also cause the undesirable behavior I observed?

I  would, of  course, vote  for  inclusion of the fix,  since starting
windows iconic is something I do frequently.  I think I mentioned that
the rubberband outline  had a penchant for  appearing near the edge of
the screen, so that when I hit  return, the icon  and its window ended
up on the wrong page.  (I find the bug really bad.)

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:47:17 -0500 (EST)

I committed the fix this evening. As far as I can see it covers
all the possibilities, but let me know if it doesn't quite do the trick
for you.

- Bob