Subject: config.cache and -lncurses

From: Chris Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:52:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have isolated that reappearing "-lreadline -ltermcap" problem: if
the config.cache file says that FVWM uses libreadline.a then configure
assumes that it's because of -ltermcap. Hence only "make distclean;
./configure" use -lncurses, and every other time configure gets it wrong.

BTW I have perl, automake-1.4 and autoconf-2.13 and I find that "make
clean" doesn't clean out all .o files any more... Weird.

Chris.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 22 Jan 1999 00:38:14 -0500

%% Chris Rankin <[email-masked]> writes:

  cr> BTW I have perl, automake-1.4 and autoconf-2.13 and I find that "make
  cr> clean" doesn't clean out all .o files any more... Weird.

Which ones does it miss?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:28:02 -0500 (EST)

> ./configure" use -lncurses, and every other time configure gets it wrong.

Correct.  I'm reasonably sure that this can be fixed by adding these two
lines:

  unset ac_cv_header_readline_readline
  unset ac_cv_lib_readline_readline

to configure.in just before the line that reads:

smr_CHECK_LIB(readline, , , readline, readline/readline.h, -ltermcap)

However, the whole business about probing for readline using termcap, then
re-probing using ncurses seems like a gross hack to me.  It seems to me
like it bears careful thinking about.  Due to the code freeze for 2.2,
however, I didn't patch it.  Instead, there is an oblique note in BUGS
about it: 

======================================================================

Configure remembers too many things, particularly with respect to the
optional libraries.  If you ever need to re-run configure, using
different --with options, please remove "config.cache" file first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

> clean" doesn't clean out all .o files any more... Weird.

Very weird.  I can't reproduce this.