Subject: SnapAttraction - enhancement request

From: Kent Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 01:23:00 -0800

Would there be an easy way to get SnapAttraction to also snap to
the edge of the root window as well?  I'm still orienting myself
with the FVWM codebase so I'm not yet at the point where I can
hack it in myself.

Thanks,
- Kent
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:24:57 +0000

> with the FVWM codebase so I'm not yet at the point where I can

If you set the second arg to EdgeResistance to the same number as
SnapAttraction you get almost what you want.  It won't pull windows to
the edge but you can line them up.

I don't think it would be easy to hack SnapAttraction to include the
root window because SnapAttraction only operates on outside edges of
windows and what you want is to snap a windows outside edge to the
inside edge of the root window.  Simply including the root window in the
SnapAttraction list of windows would make windows snap neatly off screen
(if you moved them far enough off or set the threshold to be huge).

If you want to pull windows to the root window edge I would suggest
changing the way EdgeResistance works. Maybe a positive second arg to
mean pulling as well as the current behaviour and a negative for just
the current behaviour.

If you're going to do that could you also do the same to SnapAttraction?
I mean a positive value to pull in both directions and a negative to
just snap when windows overlap. That would make SnapAttraction and
EdgeResistance be consistent.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:02:31 +0100

> EdgeResistance be consistent.

Isn't there some kind of snapping to the root window? Although windows
are not attracted by the screen edges they certainly resist being
moved over the edge (about 10 pixels I guess).

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]