Subject: Re: Transparent windows (Was: Menu problems with 2.1.7)

From: [email-masked] (Fabien Villard)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:11:34 +0100

>>         It seems to be a little different on my machine.  If you set the
>> background of the window to 'None' it does not redraw in solid color...
>> but it does not leave the window below it (in my case, the root window)
>> showing... instead it keeps whatever contents were on the screen (above or
>> below) until the window is redrawn... A bit faster, but very disturbing to
>> look at.  (Especially if animation is on) I'd rather see the flicker...
>> It's too bad, that would have been useful.
>This sounds weird. Are you saying that if you map a window with a "None"
>background the server draws stuff on the screen before giving the expose
>event?  If so it sounds like a bug in your server.

        I have the same  with  my  Linux  box with XFree86.  I haven't
examined the timings of the  expose  event.  It seems the server grabs
whatever is under the "transparent" window  when  first mapping it and
assigns it to the window bacground.  Then, when you obscure the window
with another one, the background of the "transparent" one gets changed
with what ever "pass in" the "transparent" window.   I  haven't  found
what usefull to do with that, so I through away the learning code :-)
        I  found  that  in  writing a Fvwm module that is  an  archaic
alternative  to  FvwmPager.   It draws a shaped window with just  text
saying "Desk n Page nXm".  I use it with a little font, no decorations
at all,  StayOnTop  and  Sticky,  and  it just floats upon whatever is
under it, very  discretly.    With  my old 14" monitor it saves screen
space.
        Fab.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].