Subject: 2.1.10 bug in gradiented menus

From: Ives Aerts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:40:47 +0100

I've been using 2.1.10 for a while now and I think I've found an
(aesthetic) bug in the menu code. English is not my native language,
so I hope I can describe it accurately enough.

The bug appears when you have a gradiented menu with a (large enough)
submenu. Pop up the menu near the bottom of the screen, then go to the
submenu. This will display the submenu shifted upwards so that it fits
completly on the screen. So far so good.

Now, without going into the submenu, move your mouse up again (in the
parent menu) so that the submenu disappears again.

The parent menu will be redrawn, except for the part that was covered
because the submenu was moved upwards.

For the record: I'm using fvwm2.1.10 on an SGI O2 running IRIX6.3. My
.fvwm2rc file is attached to this mail.

Cheers,
-Ives
______________________________________________________________________
Ives Aerts (R&D Software engineer)           Sony DNSE-Brussels
[email-masked]                       St.Stevens Woluwestr. 55
`It always takes longer than expected, even  B-1130 Brussels, Belgium
 if you take into account Hofstadter's law'  PHONE : +32 2 724 86 11
                          (Hofstadter's law) FAX   : +32 2 724 86 88

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:13:38 +0000

> so I hope I can describe it accurately enough.

I get this in 2.1.11 as well as 2.1.10.  (I've just gone to TrueColor so
it's only recently that I could try Gradients, even though they look
awful since I've only got 8 bits). It looks like the area to be redrawn
is not being calculated correctly when a popup isn't placed where
expected but moved onscreen.  I get problems with the menu items above
and below the popup item. They areas are drawn with a plain background
(probably by the server) and extend horizontally from the right hand
edge of the parent menu to the point where the submenu overlap stops
(PopupOffset controls this). This doesn't happen with plain menu
backgrounds and pixmaps, I haven't tried V/HGradients.

Another feature I found when messing with PopupOffset is that it is
ignored if the popup causes the parent menu to animate to make room for
the popup. Instead the default PopupOffset is applied. I have Emulate
MWM before the Menustyle options:

MenuStyle * Foreground Black, BackGround LightGrey, Greyed Grey,
ActiveFore Navy
MenuStyle * Hilight3DThick, Animation On, MenuFace TiledPixmap
PT_003.xpm
MenuStyle * PopupOffset -2 100, TitleWarp, TitleUnderlines1,
SeparatorsShort

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:36:50 +0100

> MenuStyle * PopupOffset -2 100, TitleWarp, TitleUnderlines1,

Can you hack in a bug report for the latter problem? I'll take
care of it.

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].