Subject: 2.1.0?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:25:16 +0100

Well, let's face the facts, with the remaining problems in 2.1.9
we will need another beta:

a) install-strip still not completely clean
b) xpm seems to have a quirk or two
c) bug in keyboard navigation in menus
d) coredump in FindBuiltinFunction
e) bug with separators and 'AddToMenu'

None of these is critical, but still...
Comments?

Bye

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:27:35 +0100

--> Subject: Re: 2.1.0?
                 ^^^^^^

2.1.10 of course

Dominik

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:10:32 +0000

> we will need another beta:

I'm not so sure, there will always be bugs.  The number of uncommitted
patches for other things is growing.  I think we should declare 2.1.9 =
2.2 ASAP and then get on with fixing stuff.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:21:42 -0500

> a) install-strip still not completely clean

Seems like a "safe" addition.

> b) xpm seems to have a quirk or two

I must not have been paying attention...

> c) bug in keyboard navigation in menus

For those few of us that refuse to touch mice,
this one is essential.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:21:11 -0500 (EST)

> e) bug with separators and 'AddToMenu'

  f) merge extras & modules

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:00:31 +0000

>   f) merge extras & modules

g) fix pan frame visibility. bug #132
h) apply patch to shaded FvwmBorder style windows
i) WarpToWindow & shaded windows. bug #135
j) InitFunctions called too soon. bug #117

I'll do these four but only if we decide to do 2.1.10 and no-one
objects.
Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 19 Jan 1999 10:22:59 -0500

%% Steve Robbins <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> a) install-strip still not completely clean

I lost this change--what was the fix?

  >> b) xpm seems to have a quirk or two

I'll fix the -I ordering, it's simple.  The other one (link problems) I
don't understand; we'll have to get more info from the person reporting
it.

  >> c) bug in keyboard navigation in menus

I agree this one should be fixed.  The fix is simple and the problem is
very annoying.

  >> d) coredump in FindBuiltinFunction

Coredumps are bad: is the fix small and obvious?  If not, given that we
haven't seen it before, maybe it should wait.

  >> e) bug with separators and 'AddToMenu'

Don't recall this one offhand.

  sr>   f) merge extras & modules 

Maybe; we discussed this a good bit early on, too.  At this point I'd
rather see it go out as-is than delay it much.  Also, it might be good
to get a real release out with the current setup, that people expect.

We can document the changes we want to make (what modules will be going
away, which ones are orphaned and need a champion, etc.) and then see
what response we get from the public and make the changes for 2.4.  Just
a thought.

Another thing that needs doing is making a sweep through all the docs
and updating the URLs to use www.fvwm.org, now that we have it working.

Jason, is it possible to reroute the mailing lists through this address?
It would be nice to have "[email-masked]", etc.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:48:00 +0000

> I lost this change--what was the fix?

I don't think I've seen a fix.  The problem is that Makefile.in has 

INSTALL = @INSTALL@
INSTALL_PROGRAM = @INSTALL_PROGRAM@ $(AM_INSTALL_PROGRAM_FLAGS)
INSTALL_DATA = @INSTALL_DATA@
INSTALL_SCRIPT = @INSTALL_SCRIPT@

It really should have INSTALL_SCRIPT = @INSTALL@ to stop the install.sh
script trying to strip a script.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jan 1999 10:10:32 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Jason, is it possible to reroute the mailing lists through this
PDS> address? It would be nice to have "[email-masked]", etc.

I can do this if I'm the DNS primary.  Otherwise someone else can set up an
MX host and do the forwarding, but I can't open up my hosts to relay if I
don't serve the domain.  Our permissive security only goes so far.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 19 Jan 1999 11:48:10 -0500

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> I lost this change--what was the fix?

  tp> I don't think I've seen a fix.  The problem is that Makefile.in has 

  tp> INSTALL = @INSTALL@
  tp> INSTALL_PROGRAM = @INSTALL_PROGRAM@ $(AM_INSTALL_PROGRAM_FLAGS)
  tp> INSTALL_DATA = @INSTALL_DATA@
  tp> INSTALL_SCRIPT = @INSTALL_SCRIPT@

  tp> It really should have INSTALL_SCRIPT = @INSTALL@ to stop the
  tp> install.sh script trying to strip a script.

Ah.  Well, something like that anyway :)

OK, this is a bug in autoconf or automake (depending on how they decide
to fix it), so this can't be fixed.

install-strip works a lot better than it did, but it will fail for those
two programs.  The failure is not a problem, though; we should just
recommend people use the -k option to make when they install-strip, and
expect these errors to be printed.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 19 Jan 1999 11:52:47 -0500

jlt> I can do this if I'm the DNS primary.  Otherwise someone else can
  jlt> set up an MX host and do the forwarding, but I can't open up my
  jlt> hosts to relay if I don't serve the domain.  Our permissive
  jlt> security only goes so far.

OK, that sounds reasonable.  Jay, what do you think?  I don't know
what's involved, here, as far as transferring.

If we can't get this changed around quickly don't worry about it; we can
go with what we have now for 2.2 mailing lists and make the changes
later.

---

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:16:47 -0500 (EST)

> what's involved, here, as far as transferring.

	Cool!  Jason, we will be set as soon as you set up an fvwm.org
domain on your system.  I will have my server pull info from yours as
soon as you let me know that it is active.

Jay

PS- In case you want/need it, here is what I have for the zone right now:

fvwm.org.       IN      SOA     ns.cais.com. dnsadmin.cais.net. (
                98060103 10800 3600 604800 86400 )
                IN      NS      ns.cais.com.
                IN      NS      ns2.cais.com.
                IN      NS      ns3.cais.com.
                IN      MX      20      mx1.cais.net.
                IN      MX      20      mx2.cais.net.
$ORIGIN fvwm.org.
www             IN      CNAME   larry.math.uh.edu.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:06:45 +0100

> don't understand; we'll have to get more info from the person reporting
 
Good.

> I agree this one should be fixed.  The fix is simple and the problem is

Done.

> haven't seen it before, maybe it should wait.

Just one more check for a NULL pointer. Very simple. And the bug
only comes up with a broken config file (I tried to insert a
separator into a function):

  AddToFunc foo
  + "I" "" Nop

> Don't recall this one offhand.

You can't add a separator to a menu with 'AddToMenu', only
with '+'. You'll notice when you do that in a function.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:28:41 -0800

> don't serve the domain.  Our permissive security only goes so far.

Why is it more complicated than just putting

    Cwfvwm.org

In the sendmail.cf file on fvwm.math.uh.edu?  Then if the MX record for
fvwm.org points to you, your sendmail will be the one handling it.  You
shouldn't have to open up relaying for this.

Or am I missing something?

Danek

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 1999 09:48:42 -0600

>>>>> "DD" == Danek Duvall <[email-masked]> writes:

DD> Or am I missing something?

You're missing something; I can't do that if I don't control the domain
because my superiors won't let me.  But that's OK; it's already being taken
care of.  I don't think the root servers have updated everything, though;
they still show the two main servers as being at CAIS.com and those servers
haven't updated from me yet.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 20 Jan 1999 11:55:00 -0500

jlt> But that's OK; it's already being taken care of.  I don't think
  jlt> the root servers have updated everything, though; they still show
  jlt> the two main servers as being at CAIS.com and those servers
  jlt> haven't updated from me yet.

Cool; let us know when it's all set and what the new mailing list names
are.

It would be _really_ nice if ftp.fvwm.org and cvs.fvwm.org also existed
and mapped to the appropriate places :)

I'm very hopeful that, unless major problems surface soon, 2.1.10 plus
various document cleanups will become 2.2.0.

BTW, Steve, should we hold off whacking all the derived files from the
tree until _after_ 2.2.0 is done and labeled?  I know it _shouldn't_
matter, but why rock the boat?

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 1999 11:05:05 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Cool; let us know when it's all set and what the new mailing list
PDS> names are.

[email-masked], as you'd expect.

PDS> It would be _really_ nice if ftp.fvwm.org and cvs.fvwm.org also
PDS> existed and mapped to the appropriate places :)

They have been there for some time now.  The problem is DNS propagation;
NSI still has two cais.com hosts as the servers and these hosts have not
updated from me yet.

 - J<

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:06:50 -0500 (EST)

> matter, but why rock the boat?

S'okay by me.  

I'll not touch anything but docs until you label 2.2.0. 

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die.