Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm psmith

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:54:05 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	psmith	99/01/05 13:54:04

Modified files:
	.              : BUGS ChangeLog NEWS acconfig.h acinclude.m4 
	                 aclocal.m4 config.h.in configure configure.in 
	fvwm           : events.c 
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmCpp: Makefile.am Makefile.in 

Log message:
Configure changes:

* Test for select(2) arg types and change events.c to use it
* Have configure generate a summary of important results at the end
* Test XPM more robustly: from XEmacs configure, check the version
of XPM.
* Allow the user to specify --with-cpp=<path to cpp>
* Try more places to find a cpp if they don't
* Die a horrible death in configure if cpp can't be found

* Update NEWS and BUGS files.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:09:10 -0500 (EST)

> * Allow the user to specify --with-cpp=<path to cpp>

I thought we had a discussion before about keeping down the number of
--with-* options.  

In this case, it is unnecessary, because you can do

	FVWM_CPP=<path> ./configure

just like you do

	CC=blah ./configure

> * Try more places to find a cpp if they don't

Good idea

> * Die a horrible death in configure if cpp can't be found

Bad idea; FvwmCpp is still useful because you can specify cpp at runtime.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

I am an anarchist.  
I am the antichrist.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Jan 1999 21:41:06 -0500

%% Steve Robbins <[email-masked]> writes:

  sr> I thought we had a discussion before about keeping down the number of
  sr> --with-* options.  

Possible; I don't recall this.

I do like to keep down the number of --enable-* options, since each one
adds greatly to the complexity of testing the app (witness Dominik's
script to configure all options :-/) but --with-* is different, I feel,
because it works more with how to build than the resulting
functionality.  Maybe too subtle a distinction, I don't know.

  sr> In this case, it is unnecessary, because you can do

  sr> 	FVWM_CPP=<path> ./configure

  sr> just like you do

  sr> 	CC=blah ./configure

Good point.

  >> * Die a horrible death in configure if cpp can't be found

  sr> Bad idea; FvwmCpp is still useful because you can specify cpp at
  sr> runtime.

Ah.  Cool.  I didn't know this (toldja I don't use FvwmCpp for anything :)

OK, I'll have another go.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].