Subject: Re: FVWM: Page-placement of windows?

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:34:56 -0500 (EST)

Neil Bird <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Bob Woodside wrote:
> > Neil Bird <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >   Well, I'm now trying to use this, ... and it /doesn't/ seem to work. It
> > > gets the Netscape stuff on the right page if one removes '-iconic', but
> > > the StartsIconic style fails, and both Navigator & MailThread kick off in
> > > open windows:
> > 
> >         If you install the latest CVS sources or the next tarball, and still
> > have problems with StartsOnPage, please let us know ASAP.
> 
>   I'm assuming that the fairly recent 2.1.7 tarball /isn't/ the one you
> were alluding to, but in case it is, I'm using it & the netscape
> StartsIconic failure is still there.
> 
> 
>   I've installed CVS, but I can't use it 'cos our firewall won't let it
> out!

	(Neil, your note wasn't cc'ed to the workers' list. That's why
I've quoted the whole thing, so all the developers are kept up to date.)

	I'm afraid we all misinterpreted your original note as describing
part of a bug in the StartsOnPage code; and since we knew that the fix
for it had just been committed to CVS, we didn't give it much thought.
(Actually, the fix went in before the 2.1.6 tagging.)

	Unfortunately, the problem you're having wasn't related to
StartsOnPage, or to the use of the -iconic flag, which *does* work now.
It isn't even new with the 2.1.x betas - I just verified that it also
happened with 2.0.46 (a little differently, of course, since you didn't
have the StartsOnPage style then).

	Netscape does something that seems to override *both* StartIconic
and SkipMapping (when used together with StartIconic). It does seem to be
peculiar to Netscape. It's not a generic Motif thing: I tried 3 other
Motif apps (and a variety of non- Motif ones) with a style like this:

	Style  "Netscape*"  StartIconic, SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 1 1 1

They all worked flawlessly.

	That's as far as I've gotten so far.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 02:36:05 -0500 (EST)

> Neil Bird <[email-masked]> wrote:
NB>> > the netscape StartsIconic failure is still there.

BW>> 	Netscape does something that seems to override *both*
BW>> StartIconic and SkipMapping (when used together with
BW>> StartIconic). 

	Bad news on this one, I'm afraid. What happens is this: FVWM
properly handles your StartIconic, SkipMapping, StartsOnPage style,
and starts Netscape up, iconic, in the right place; then Netscape
sends a second MapRequest, to which we're required to respond by
de-iconifying the window. (If you position yourself on the page where
Netscape is going to appear, you can see the icon window flash
briefly before the Netscape window appears.)

	The de-iconification has the side effect of making SkipMapping
*appear* not to have worked.

	There really isn't anything we can do to prevent this. It seems
that Netscape doesn't like to be started up iconic, unless it requested
it itself (as happens when you use the -iconic flag).

- Bob