Subject: GNU Window manager shortcut standard proposition

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:19:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

This just flew by in comp.os.linux.announce.  Someone's suggesting
standardising WM shortcuts.  This is news to me; are other people here
aware of this?  [Hmm ... I recognize one of the names `Maciej Stachowiak'
from this list ... ]

Just another thing to consider after 2.2 comes out.

BTW: c.o.l.a is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Don't play cards with the Devil.  He'll deal you an awful hand.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:37:04 -0500

> BTW: c.o.l.a is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

All I see at the archive is the one proposal.  They refer to previous
discussions, but I'm not sure where.  Is this related to other
mails we've seem about X standards?  Where is the discussion
taking place?

Some of the keys do seem strangly defined.

* Scroll lock : remapped to Break : lock focus to focused window
 * Pause : start some kind of pause screen (or screen saver if it isn't
available)
 * Print : "stick" focused window to current screen, or "tab to next
window"

Scroll lock is obviously intended to Lock the workstation.
Pause is obviously intended to toggle CD playing (a little mod
I made to Workman).
Print Screen is obviously intended to invoke FvwmForms, and then
after setting some parameters and hittine return,
PRINT the window you select.

(I'm not completly serious, just identifying the way I use these keys.)

I don't see much discussion about context, or buttons, or window
decorations, or those really cool keys on Sun Keyboards, (Open, Front,
Stop, Again, Help, etc.)

You know, I'm not sure what my point is, and it is NOT my intent to
move the discussion to the fvwm-workers list, but I would like to
know a little more.  I have been trying to figure out what fvwm2 should
be doing with default bindings, especially on the root.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].