Subject: 'select' compile warning

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:35:18 +0100

Hi Paul (PDS),

after you changed that hpux dependency in events.c I now get
this warning during compile:

  events.c: In function `My_XNextEvent':
  events.c:1543: warning: passing arg 2 of `select' from incompatible pointer type
  events.c:1543: warning: passing arg 3 of `select' from incompatible pointer type

In my config.log I find:

  configure:4443: checking whether select wants fd_set*
  configure:4457: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c 1>&5
  configure:4450: sys/select.h: No such file or directory
  configure: failed program was:
  #line 4446 "configure"
  #include "confdefs.h"
  #include <stdio.h>
      #include <sys/types.h>
      #include <sys/time.h>
      #include <sys/select.h>
  int main() {
  fd_set in[1], out[1];
      select(1, in, out, 0, NULL);
  ; return 0; }

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:16:01 -0500 (EST)

>       select(1, in, out, 0, NULL);

Interesting - I also modified a select() on HPUX machines because the
HPUX machine I use at work DOES have fd_set. I don't think it has
sys/select.h though. What exactly is this configuration test doing?

Chris.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Jan 1999 10:15:31 -0500

>> events.c:1543: warning: passing arg 3 of `select' from incompatible pointer type

This warning should be innocuous, but it is annoying.

  >> select(1, in, out, 0, NULL);

  cr> Interesting - I also modified a select() on HPUX machines because the
  cr> HPUX machine I use at work DOES have fd_set. I don't think it has
  cr> sys/select.h though. What exactly is this configuration test doing?

The test is supposed to use HAVE_SYS_SELECT to decide whether to include
sys/select.h in the test program, and it works on my Solaris system
(which doesn't have sys/select.h) but apparently not on the HP system.
Odd.

Can you look through config.log and see if there's any problems with the
test for sys/select.h?  Does it succeed or fail?

Note that the new autoconf 2.13 has a builtin test for select() argument
types; it might be best to just use that rather than my lame-o configure
hacks :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:20:08 +0100

> test for sys/select.h?  Does it succeed or fail?

The test failed which is correct since my Linux doesn't have
sys/select.h.

Bye

Dominik