Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm drbob

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:51:00 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	drbob	99/01/20 20:51:00

Modified files:
	.              : COPYING 
	docs           : fvwm-2.2.lsm 

Log message:
Added to the draft fvwm-22.lsm.  Fixed a typo in COPYING that's bugged me
for years (tortuous ==> tortious).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:44:24 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, CVS wrote:

> Fixed a typo in COPYING that's bugged me for years (tortuous ==>
> tortious). 

Hum.  Re-reading this file, it occurs that we might want to reinstate
"tortuous".  As in: "The authors of FVWM disclaim all liability arising
from mental anguish or damage to common sense due to reading the tortuous
language, logic, and syntax used in this file." 

More seriously, I noticed an inconsistency as I was reading the file. 
After the first four paragraphs, there is suddenly list of modules, with
no connecting phrase.  I couldn't make out the intent, so I will leave it
for someone else to correct.  Could someone who was following the
copyright issues (Dominik?) fix this up appropriately? 

Are the modules listed EXCEPTIONS from paragraph 4?  Or, to the contrary,
are they the only ones that p4 applies to --- the rest being GPLed?  Or is
the list an anachronism that ought to be removed? 

P.S. Whoever fixes this might as well remove the section at the end
entitled "How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs", as we presumably
already know how to apply these terms :-)

P.P.S.  There is no module "extras/FvwmPerl".  There used to be
"extras/fvwmperl" (lowercase 'p') but it hasn't been distributed for a
long time now.

Excerpt from COPYING, starting at paragraph 4:

In addition, permission is granted to use this software for any
purpose, as long as the individual copyrights, copyright notices
and associated disclaimers remain intact in the sources and the
supporting documentation.

  modules/FvwmRearrange
  extras/FvwmPerl
  extras/FvwmPipe
  modules/FvwmAnimate
  modules/FvwmAudio
  modules/FvwmEvents

and all files within.

The modules modules/FvwmAnimate, modules/FvwmAudio and modules/FvwmEvents
are subject to the GNU public license (see below).

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:02:19 +0100

> copyright issues (Dominik?) fix this up appropriately? 

Yup, 'twas me. 

> the list an anachronism that ought to be removed? 

I'll take care of this. Might have done a bit too much cut-and-paste.

> already know how to apply these terms :-)

It's just the complete GPL. This paragraph is in the original GPL
file.

> "extras/fvwmperl" (lowercase 'p') but it hasn't been distributed for a

Really? Since when? When I wrote that it was still in.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:11:06 +0100

> copyright issues (Dominik?) fix this up appropriately? 

Ugh! You're right. A paragraph is missing. I'll try to fill that
in from some older release when I'm back home.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:59:03 -0500 (EST)

> It's just the complete GPL. This paragraph is in the original GPL

Actually, it's the example COPYING file from automake, I think.

It is the text of the GPL *plus* a bit about how to apply the GPL to your
programs.  It says things like "put a copyright notice in each file, blah
blah blah".  

Well, we've already applied GPL to (bits of) fvwm.  All we need in COPYING
is a copy of the GPL.  That is: the contents of COPYING minus "How to
Apply these Terms..." 

> Really? Since when? When I wrote that it was still in.

Since about two months:

Mon Nov  9 18:56:50 1998  Steve Robbins  <[email-masked]>

        * Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Removed fvwmperl, since this version is
        known to be obsolete.  Removed fvwmpython on suspicion of being
        obsolete.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Well, you tried it just once, and found it alright for kicks,
Now you found out that it's a habit that sticks,
And you're an orgasm addict.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:23:41 +0100

> is a copy of the GPL.  That is: the contents of COPYING minus "How to

I think this bit is almost always attached to the GPL since most
folks don't care about removing it. Anyway, I don't care either.
I've removed it and corrected the other problem.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]