Subject: 2.1.10

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:45:57 +0100

Allright folks, I see we have a big discussion about what is
going into 2.1.10 and I see this solution:

1) 2.1.9 stays in testing

2) 2.1.10 gets exactly two fixes:

   a) The menu navigation fix
   b) The xpm fix

   Nothing else.

3) We create a 2.2 branch off 2.1.10 immediately. If fixes
   are absolutely necessary they go into the branch. The
   branch versions (if any) are labeled 2.1.10.x (ugh).
   Any further bugs will be ignored for 2.2.

4) We begin integration fixes on the main trunk right
   after 2.1.10 is labeled.

5) Within a week after 2.1.10 the branch becomes 2.2.

Paul (PDS), I will be checking in the menu fix right now.
Please make 2.1.10 as soon as you have the xpm fix in.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 19 Jan 1999 16:31:08 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> 1) 2.1.9 stays in testing

  dv> 2) 2.1.10 gets exactly two fixes:

  dv>    a) The menu navigation fix
  dv>    b) The xpm fix

  dv>    Nothing else.

I believe we have some not-entirely-insignificant document cleanups,
too: at least the new URLs and, if the DNS switch comes through, the
mailing lists, too.  We should make an effort to get this into 2.2.

  dv> 3) We create a 2.2 branch off 2.1.10 immediately. If fixes
  dv>    are absolutely necessary they go into the branch. The
  dv>    branch versions (if any) are labeled 2.1.10.x (ugh).
  dv>    Any further bugs will be ignored for 2.2.

I would really rather wait to branch until, for example, the doc fixes
are there.  Remember that once we branch we have to do extra work for
each change to the 2.2 stream: once for the 2.2 branch then merge it
into the mainline.  Might as well wait an extra couple of days.

  dv> 4) We begin integration fixes on the main trunk right
  dv>    after 2.1.10 is labeled.

I don't see any huge rush to start this, myself.  There are some patch
backlogs but nothing like we had before (before 2.1.x); we're very close
and I don't think it'll hurt anyone to wait, as I say, a couple more
days.

The way we originally planned it, IIRC, the 2.2.0 release would actually
be made on the main trunk (that is, the version of configure.in with
VERSION set to 2.2.0 would be on the main trunk), _then_ branched to
create 2.2.1, etc. if needed.  We can certainly change this if we want
to--I'm just not sure there's a compelling reason to do so.

  dv> 5) Within a week after 2.1.10 the branch becomes 2.2.

  dv> Paul (PDS), I will be checking in the menu fix right now.
  dv> Please make 2.1.10 as soon as you have the xpm fix in.

OK, I'm testing it now.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:37:41 +0100

> mailing lists, too.  We should make an effort to get this into 2.2.

Of course, I was talking about sources and configuration only.

> into the mainline.  Might as well wait an extra couple of days.

OK, that's an option too, but as soon this is ready I'd rather
branch and not wait any longer.

> and I don't think it'll hurt anyone to wait, as I say, a couple more

I don't see a rush either, but if we don't make a 2.2 right now (OK,
a few days won't matter) we'll begin patching again not so important
stuff or we will paralyse ourselves.

> to--I'm just not sure there's a compelling reason to do so.

I don't care at all on which branch 2.2 is labeled.

Bye

Dominik