Subject: Re: FvwmForm and widgets

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:42:30 -0500

BJ Goodwin <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hey folks,
> 
> I dont know if this was changed on purpose from 2.0.46 or a bug. In FvwmForm
> all the widgets are flat rather than "3d" like in 2.0.46. Like buttons are ju
> st
> text with a box around them. Not raised or anything. I am using 2.1.6. I also
> noticed it in 2.1.5. Here's what FvwmForm looks at when I call it with 
> 'Module FvwmForm Run...':

I don't see a difference.

Could you use "xmag" on both versions and report the rgb values of the
shadows and highlights in both cases?

> -- 
> BJ Goodwin

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: BJ Goodwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:34:40 -0800 (PST)

> shadows and highlights in both cases?

That's the problem, there are no shadows on the FvwmForm widgets. I hate to
redirect, but if you could look at http://www.seattleu.edu/~bjk/fvwmprob.jpg it
might explain it better than I can. In 2.0.46 the widgets were raised like a
button, these are flat for me in 2.1.6 (and 2.1.5).

-- 
BJ Goodwin
[email-masked]
http://www.cutlet.ddns.org

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 17:22:20 -0500

> button, these are flat for me in 2.1.6 (and 2.1.5).

Jpg's aren't the best choice for showing color detail, but it looks
like the shadows and highlights both came out black.

I think color allocation is failing.

Are you  using 8 bit  color?  Is it  possible that  you've used up all
your available colors?  Do you see any  error messages on your console
about color allocation failing?

---

From: BJ Goodwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:39:07 -0800 (PST)

> about color allocation failing?

I am using 16bit color. I didnt see anything in my .xsession-errors about
colors failing. It happens on any FvwmForm 'function' that I use (logout
verify for example).

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 12:47:25 -0500

> colors failing. It happens on any FvwmForm 'function' that I use (logout

Thanks, that last bit was the final hint I needed.  I've just
commited changes to 2.1.7 to fix that.

By the way, someone looking at the shadow code may see that the logic
is not using the new shadow/hilite logic in the PsuedoColor (8 bit)
color case.  (The logic in that routine is fairly complicated and I
missed it.)  I prefer to just make this minimal change at this time.

For sometime  after 2.2 I  have a  completely new version  of FvwmForm
where all of this stuff is done much more cleanly.  (My opinion.)