Subject: CVS down for tagging

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:21:34 +0100

I think it's time to have a successor to the flawed 2.1.6.
Too many people are using it.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:37:09 -0500 (EST)

> I think it's time to have a successor to the flawed 2.1.6.

Just a quick CVS note:

You don't need to announce "cvs down for tagging".  Just go ahead and tag
it. 

What happens if someone does a commit in the meanwhile?  Nothing!  The
command 'cvs tag' works on the versions IN YOUR CHECKED OUT REPOSITORY. 

So once you are convinced that your sources should form the basis of
2.1.7, say, just do the tag, upload a new tar file, *then* announce it to
the world.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Don't know what I want, but I know how to get it.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 02:21:39 +0100

> command 'cvs tag' works on the versions IN YOUR CHECKED OUT REPOSITORY. 

Hmm, OK, that should work.
 
> 2.1.7, say, just do the tag, upload a new tar file, *then* announce it to

But still I'm not safe with my checkout. Of course I fetch the latest
source after this mail and if someone would be checking in while I'm
checking out I have inconsistent code on my disk, correct?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 06:37:45 -0500 (EST)

> checking out I have inconsistent code on my disk, correct?

Nope.  All CVS operations on the repository are atomic.  If you try to,
say, checkout while someone is committing, you will get a message about
waiting for a lock on the repository.

The key point is: if you want your copy of the sources to end up as
version x.y.z, you can just tag it without worrying about what others are
doing.  Once the tags are in the repository, you or anyone else can
retrieve the identical sources with "cvs checkout -r version-x_y_z",
regardless of what happened to the repository in the meantime.

Another point: if you want to make a tar file for distribution, it is safe
to do so just after your tag, using the copy you just tagged.  You don't
need to fetch "the latest source" or anything like that.

Remember: they always let you down when you need 'em.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:33:34 +0100

> need to fetch "the latest source" or anything like that.

No, I meant I fetch the latest source before tagging.

Bye

Dominik