Subject: Re: bugs

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:35:15 -0500 (EST)

Michael Han <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ... with StartsOnPage & SkipMapping both on...I notice that placement of the
> window: 1) doesn't seem to account for sticky windows

	Bummer! You're right, it doesn't! I'll look into it.

> and 2) doesn't > seem to avoid (with SmartPlacement also enabled) windows
> properly. I'm having some trouble verifying 2) because my StartsOnPage +
> SkipMapping + SmartPlacement + SmartPlacementIsReallySmart combo behaves
> oddly (seems to reverse the sign on the geometry at times -- thinking it's
> a bug in my server).

	I'm a little confused here. Do you mean window dimension geometry,
or window placement geometry? If you're specifying a placement geometry,
that should override all the FiendishlyCleverPlacement options.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:45:36 -0800

Previously...
>that should override all the FiendishlyCleverPlacement options.

Okay, lemme try that again. CleverPlacement of StartsOnPage &
SkipMapping windows, being mapped off-Page, doesn't seem to avoid
windows on that page at all. Now I could be imagining things. But when
I say the geometry is getting the sign reversed, I mean that on my
1152x900 display, a startsonpage 0 1 sometimes starts on 0 -1
(geometry 0-900), making it hard to tell if the CleverPlacement is
properly avoiding other windows when placing windows off-Page as
directed by StartOnPage & SkipMapping... I hope this makes sense this
time.
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not trade pants with others
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:34:43 -0500 (EST)

Michael Han <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> ...when I say the geometry is getting the sign reversed, I mean that
> on my 1152x900 display, a startsonpage 0 1 sometimes starts on 0 -1

	It does now. I was able to reproduce it...and -1 -1, and other
wondrous things. Don't be too quick to scrap your X server: it's most
likely all my doing. StartsOnPage contained a tupo ("-=" instead of "=")
that caused CleverPlacement to go bonkers...sometimes.

	I've added the code to CleverPlacement to avoid sticky windows
properly. I've noticed a couple of other bits of peculiar behavior with
CleverPlacement that I'd like to fix, so it'll probably be a couple of
days before I commit the changes.

- Bob