Subject: Re: FVWM: About initialisation

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:34:08 -0800

[thread brought over from general fvwm list]
Previously...
>On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 03:41:27PM +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
>> The fvwm2 man page says: during initialisation fvwm2 searches for
>> .fvwm2rc configuration file in the home dir ectory of the user, if
>> doesn't find, then in /usr/lib/X11/fvwm. If can't find any of tehm,
>> fvwm2 will be "basically useless". Now, I've got none of them, my fvwm2
>> still works pretty well. How is it possible?
>> Ver.: 2.0.46.
>
>(Assuming you have a Linux distribution): Sone distributors hack
>in their own paths instead of /usr/lib/X11/fvwm. The file might
>have another name too.

This kind of brings up an issue. Would it be appropriate to request
that distributors who change the documented behavior of fvwm (no
longer honors .fvwm2rc or [ETCDIR]/system.fvwm2rc) patch the manpage
to reflect their changes? The amount of traffic in the fvwm list
revolving around this point (almost always with RedHat Linux) seems to
warrant it. Heck, even a "see also" entry in the manpage pointing to a
readme for AnotherLevel (the system-wide m4 thingie) would suffice.
While we're at it, perhaps I could write an FAQ entry.

Hrmm, how about something like this?

<<FAQEntry
47) I run fvwm on RedHat Linux and can't figure out how to edit my
fvwm2 configuration. I read the manpage and edited the appropriate
files, but nothing changes. What's going on?

======================================================================

47) I run fvwm on RedHat Linux and can't figure out how to edit my
fvwm2 configuration. I read the manpage and edited the appropriate
files, but nothing changes. What's going on?

A: RedHat Linux as of version 4.1 ships with the AnotherLevel package,
   which handles your configuration files for any and all of the
   window manager packages you install. See its documentation in [I'll
   have to figure this out at home where I can poke around in the
   rpm].
EOFAQEntry
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not cut corners
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].