Subject: stacking order bug

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:32:24 +0100

Something in the stacking order is broken now:

I have a tkbiff window partially obscured by one of my
rxvt's. When a mail arrives it raises itself. Clicking
on the title bar of my rxvt doesn't raise it above the
tkbiff window again. I can raise another rxvt over the
first one and vice versa, but that doesn't bring it
above tkbiff again. Only after I clicked on the tkbiff's
title or moved some window around it works as usual
again.

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:36:56 +0100

> title or moved some window around it works as usual

The BUGS file seems to mention this with xemacs. Maybe
that's not a new bug.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 20:00:32 -0500 (EST)

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > tkbiff window again....

	Hmmm...did this just start happening since last night, or
did you just notice it? Have you got a backup FVWM from sometime
before I committed the stacking order/StaysOnTop/override_redirect
changes Tuesday evening, with which you could confirm whether it's
a new problem? I don't have tkbiff, so I can't quickly test this.
I'll have to go looking for it.

	I don't think Matthias' and my changes should cause this kind
of behavior, but I wouldn't swear that they couldn't.

- Bob

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 21:15:20 -0500 (EST)

> of behavior, but I wouldn't swear that they couldn't.

	Ok, I found & installed tkbiff, and tried it on my backup system
and the newly-built one. The problem does seem to have been introduced
by last night's changes. I'll have to do some tracing to see what's
going on.

	Er, regarding another thread, please don't suddenly switch over
to requiring developers to install autoconf in order to build the CVS
sources, while I'm in the middle of trying to fix this one. In fact,
couldn't we postpone that till after 2.2 is out?

- Bob

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:40:32 -0500 (EST)

Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The problem does seem to have been introduced by last night's changes.
> I'll have to do some tracing to see what's going on.

	I'm afraid I'll have to disable or back out Matthias' fix. The
problem is that FVWM doesn't know that the tkbiff window has been raised
to the top, so it doesn't know what sibling to raise it above. This gets
a bit too complicated to try to force in before 2.2.

	I don't know if the problem is peculiar to the way Tk handles
raising windows, but we never see a ConfigureRequest for the tkbiff
window. Instead, what xev shows coming in is a synthetic ConfigureNotify,
and FVWM doesn't even look at ConfigureNotify events, synthetic or
otherwise.

	A further implication, of course, is that the stacking order chain
is still not 100% accurate - it only reflects changes that FVWM knows about
and participates in. It's good enough for its current use, but needs some
more work post-2.2.

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:05:46 +0100

> and participates in. It's good enough for its current use, but needs some

Hmm, could you hack in a bug report and keep track of that
after 2.2?

Thanks

Dominik

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].