Subject: FVWM 2.1.5 (beta) installation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:16:43 -0500

Over the weekend I compiled FVWM 2.1.5 (beta) with the intention
of upgrading the release which came with RH 51 (2.3.5 kernel).
Unfortunately, the 'make install' command didn't hit any of the
default target directories (usr/X11/bin, usr/lib/fvwm, etc.).

I tried walking through the Makefile script and it was very
uninformative (lots of @references, config.x scripts, small
shell programs, etc.).

Has anyone tried and succeeded in this simple (?) task?
Thanks in advance.

                                                   /\
                                                  / \@
                                                 /   \
                                            (( ~ ~ ))
                                               (  ^  )
 ---------------------------o00O-----O00o------------------------------
|  Tim Weil                                            %%

|  InterNetwork Consultant               %%  E-mail=[email-masked]

|  Network Engineering Dept.        %%  http://www.clark.net/pub/timw
|                                                               %%
                                   |
|  RPM Consulting, Inc                     %%  Tel 410 309-6000 (corp)

|  7130 Minstrel Way #230             %%  Tel 202-260-6705 (on-site)
|  Columbia, Maryland 21045       %%    fax 202-708-5865
|                                                              %%
                                   |
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                             (__|!    !|__)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Jan 1999 15:33:16 -0500

%% [email-masked] writes:

  t> Over the weekend I compiled FVWM 2.1.5 (beta) with the intention
  t> of upgrading the release which came with RH 51 (2.3.5 kernel).
  t> Unfortunately, the 'make install' command didn't hit any of the
  t> default target directories (usr/X11/bin, usr/lib/fvwm, etc.).

Not surprising at all.

Note, from the NEWS file:

  Changes in alpha release 2.1.0 (October 1998)

  * basic autoconfiguration support; see INSTALL.fvwm and INSTALL
  * modules installed into ${libexecdir}/fvwm/${VERSION}
    - since the version string is encoded into the module directory, it
      is safer to rely on the compiled-in ModulePath, rather than
      setting it yourself in .fvwm2rc
  * system configure (system.fvwm2rc) searched for in ${sysconfdir}

Essentially, fvwm now uses GNU autoconf to build and install instead of
X's Imake.  That means that the default installation directories are all
based on the GNU standard (/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, etc.) rather
than the X11 standard (/usr/bin/X11, /usr/X11/lib, etc.).

You absolutely will not be able to use older fvwm2 RPM description files
with the newer beta fvwm2's.

I don't know if anyone has created a new set for the new installation or
not, maybe someone else will.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].