Subject: Status?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:27:50 -0500 (EST)

OK, I saw some bug fixes go through.  What's the status of bugs
targetted at 2.2.0?  What's left from the flurry of problems reported
earlier this week?  Are we going to try to fix the menu gradient
problem, or just investigate (or decide after we investigate)?  Any
others on the horizon?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:48:23 +0000

> problem, or just investigate (or decide after we investigate)?  Any

I Have a fix but I won't commit 'til I get a go-ahead from Dominik. I've
based it on his menus.c so it would include the fix for overlapped
animated menus and the repainting problems.

I've also got fixes for some missing pixel bugs but I need to find out
if it's my XServer that's at fault.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 1999 12:40:12 -0600

>>>>> "TP" == Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

TP> I Have a fix but I won't commit 'til I get a go-ahead from Dominik.

It seems that everyone is being seriously cautious.  This is a good thing,
but it's going to lead to some serious bottlenecks in these last days of
2.1.

I propose that patches should be posted here and reviewed for scope
(i.e. no extraneous changes) and impact (could it possible blow something
else up).  Those who can duplicate the problem should test the patch.
Those who are experts on some section of the code should make sure that the
patch doesn't effect them.  Everyone who can should test to make sure
that their pet feature isn't hosed by the patch.

Doing it via CVS commit and listening for wails of pain isn't a bad idea in
the heat of development, but there needs to be a bit more rigor in the
process now.  I'll leave it up to Dominik to say whether or not he wants to
do the commits himself, give the word that it's OK to do a commit, or just
stay out of the critical path.

When the time comes to release, we should put out 2.1.N, tell the world
it's a release candidate, and simply rename it to 2.2.0 (changing no code,
only docs) if it's OK.  Realistically, we have only a small number of
patches left; the finish line is near.

Plan on having to do 2.2.1 within a week, though and perhaps even a 2.2.2
after that.  At least one more big bug _will_ be found.  Then you'll want
to branch the stable and development releases.  (Someone who wants to get
to work immediately can always make a personal branch and merge back into
the mainline later.)

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:50:19 -0500

> but it's going to lead to some serious bottlenecks in these last days of

I second this.  We won't don't want to rely on a leader, we have to do
this as  a team.  However,  I think Tim is referring  to a menu patch.
It should be  put on the list,  but the best  one to review it must be
Dominik.

> Realistically, we have only a small number of

I can almost see it...

> to work immediately can always make a personal branch and merge back into

I have some stuff  pending.  I've held  it out since  I don't  want to
distract testers  from the 2.2 branch.  If  anyone does start a branch
please consider  that  it may   impact the  testing effort  which   is
currently focused on 2.2.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:54:29 +0100

> It should be  put on the list,  but the best  one to review it must be

Sorry, I have not written the part that Tim patched and I didn't
really understand the problem. But the solution sounds sensible to
me. I'll commit my patch right now along with the (corrected) fix
for report #152 (menu titles are hilighted with ActiveFore).

Bye

Dominik

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:25:54 +0100

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 01:50:19PM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> this as  a team.

Yes, I want that too. I might be off line for a few days anytime (or even
forget telling you when I'm on a holiday) and I don't want the work
stalled because of something like this.

Bye

Dominik