Subject: PRIVATE: Remote session slow to start, FvwmButtons disappears

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:50:38 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Damon Harper
Version: 2.1.4
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux 2.0.35  i486
X_Server: XOnNet 6.0 (trial)
Submission from: (NULL) (204.244.204.16)

Hi there.  I'm not quite sure where my problem lies, but what evidence i do
have points to FVWM.

I am trying to run a remote x session on my computer using XOnNet 6.0, an
MS windows X server emulator.  It connects to my computer via xdmcp, which
runs an xterm in the background and then execs fvwm2.  XOnNet is set up to
allow the remote window manager to manage any x programs.

This setup works perfectly when I'm running XOnNet from my second computer
at home, which is on a local network with the linux box.  It also seems to
work fine from a friend's computer, which is on the same (university
residence) network as my linux box.  However, when i try the same setup
from work, i experience problems.

First, the session takes an age to start.  Up to five minutes.  This is
presumably not due to a slow or bad connexion, as once the session is up
there's virtually no more lag than i experience at home, and no errors.

Second, the FvwmButtons module disappears after the session finally does
start.  I'm not sure how to define 'disappears' exactly; but XOnNet gives
all open X programs (like FvwmWinList, which has the same style settings as
FvwmButtons) icons on the MS windows taskbar, and FvwmButtons doesn't show
up there or onscreen.  Usually it does flash on for a second, and
occasionally it doesn't disappear at all.  My FvwmButtons configuration
consists of a few standard pixmap/text type buttons and three swallowed
programs: xbiff, xclock and xload, all of which do disappear with it.

Now, i realise that this sounds very much like a problem with something
*other* than the window manager; however, if i try the same configuration
(minus FvwmButtons of course) with twm or with blackbox, there is no
problem - no startup delay at all.  Unfortunately i have yet to find
another window manager i like nearly so much as fvwm2.

Further note: even without having FvwmButtons run, the startup delay
problem still happens, so I don't think it's FvwmButtons' fault directly.

I'm marking this message "private" because i confess i doubt there's much
you can tell me and i realise it's quite possibly not a FVWM bug at all;
however, i thought i'd go ahead and send it anyway just in case there *is*
some problem you know about or can speculate about that would cause this
effect.

Thanks for any help

-damon

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].