Subject: Re: crash in menu handling (PR#56)

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:48:45 -0600 (CST)

dv> Somehow fvwm2.1.4 is receiving SIGALRM and doesn't have a signal
  dv> handler for it.  Thus, fvwm exits and doesn't leave a core file
  dv> (default behavior on SIGALRM).  So, no stack trace.

Why is it getting a SIGALRM?  I don't think anything in fvwm sends one.
Hmm.  Wait.  I see FvwmTaskBar uses it; are you running that in your
setup?  Not sure exactly why fvwm2 would see the signal, but I haven't
investigated that code yet.

  dv> I see that fvwm.c uses the signal() call to register signal
handlers.
  dv> Isn't it better to use sigaction() to avoid the problems associated
  dv> with signal() (window for signals to not be handled).

The problem, obviously, is that sigaction() isn't ubiquitous.  However,
I can look into porting some signal handling code from, say, GNU make
into fvwm which will allow it to use better signal handling functions
if they're available.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:57:47 +0100

>   dv> (default behavior on SIGALRM).  So, no stack trace.
   ^^^^^
I only forwarded this mail.

> investigated that code yet.
 
I don't really know what I am talking about, but the only line in
the .fvwm2rc was 'xclock', would it be possible that xlock sends the
SIGALRM? Perhaps the right thing to do is to disable this signal.

> into fvwm which will allow it to use better signal handling functions

Hmm, the signal handling code needs definitely some work.
When should we do this, before or after 2.2? Or should we
branch now for the more disruptive kind of development?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].