Subject: Re: FVWM: 2.0.46 -> 2.1.4 differences in IconMan, Buttons

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:15:41 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 10:52:54PM -0500, Jim Nicholson wrote:
> 
> I bit and built the new version, and managed to install it. I'm
> noticing some behaviors that puzzle me:
> 
> - FvwmIconMan starts out by issuing "*FvwmIconMan: cannot open
>   /dev/console" and then goes on to send all kinds of debug info to
>   stdout. Is there a way to turn this off?

Paul, I think you were involved with IconMan debug output.
How can it happen that this console stuff now goes to stdout?
Wasn't debug turned off by default?

> - The 'panel' configuration syntax for FvwmButtons is different from
>   the one I was using with a patch Buttons under 2.0.46. The new
>   configuration syntax is probably better, except that I can't get
>   even a simple example (or the manpage example) to work.
> 
> Any hints?

Yup. The manpager example does not work if copied exavtly into
a file. You have to join the lines that are split with
backslashes (although I do not understand why). Depending
on the version you have you may have to add '(Up)' to the
*FvwmButtonsPanel lines

 *FvwmButtonsPanel foo -> *FvwmButtonsPanel(Up) foobar

This is a bug and should already be fixed. If you find
out that is your problem. Please post to the list.

BTW, the right place to mail such questions to is the
workers mailing list:

  [email-masked]

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Dec 1998 10:27:32 -0500

>> stdout. Is there a way to turn this off?

  dv> Paul, I think you were involved with IconMan debug output.
  dv> How can it happen that this console stuff now goes to stdout?
  dv> Wasn't debug turned off by default?

You mean me?

I added some simple debugging macros, but I didn't change much to use
them.  I certainly wouldn't ever turn on or off debugging using #if 1 :)

Actually, I think I complained about this "always on" setting to the
list a month or so ago.  I guess a more productive reaction would have
been to change the setting :).  Since I don't use FvwmIconMan, I was
kinda waiting for someone who did to tell me whether they wanted the
output or not.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:35:26 +0100

>   dv> Wasn't debug turned off by default?

Yes. Or should I rather say 'Mr. Paul D. Smith' ? ;-)

> kinda waiting for someone who did to tell me whether they wanted the

I'm completely at a loss. I thought you had already done this.
If you know what to do, could you make this change?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Dec 1998 11:39:25 -0500

>> You mean me?

  dv> Yes. Or should I rather say 'Mr. Paul D. Smith' ? ;-)

Sure :).  Or, "Paul S" or "PDS" or something.  "Paul" is a not-uncommon
name, even just on this list :)

  dv> I'm completely at a loss. I thought you had already done this.
  dv> If you know what to do, could you make this change?

No problem.