Subject: huge colour leaks

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 02:21:00 +0100

Did anyone ever notice that none of the colours fvwm
allocates are ever freed again? E.g. when you experiment
with colour gradients you may run out of colours very
soon. I think it it necessary to call XFreeColor for
every every successful call to XAllocColor.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:27:05 -0500 (EST)

> soon.

That might explain why xscreensaver:kaleidescope looks so DULL on the
root window but is very impressive in a normal window. It was even
worse under fvwm - none of the screensaver hacks looked good.

Chris.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 16:03:21 -0500

> > with colour gradients you may run out of colours very

I  believe once a color  is used in a  pixmap, it  stays allocated.  I
have the logic  to free the  colors in an  xpm, the xpm library  won't
free it itself.  I was planning to check this out after 2.2.

If you have 8 bit color,  I think gradients are  out.  I don't believe
fvwm2 gradients are ever dithered, which would help with color use.

For pixmaps, the ColorLimit feature gives me a good solution, but some
color freeing couldn't hurt.

> worse under fvwm - none of the screensaver hacks looked good.

The best solution for this is to allow Xscreensaver to install its own
colormap.  Fvwm2 doesn't currently allow  this.  There is a bug report
for this, and lots of discussion in the archives.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 07:33:15 -0500 (EST)

> for this, and lots of discussion in the archives.

Huh?, I'm confused.  What do you mean fvwm2 doesn't allow this?  If it
didn't allow it then I would even bother with xscreensaver, or anything
else that uses a private colormap either.  I only have an 8 bit display,
and quickly use my 256 colors, but I always get a private map when
xscreensaver starts.  I have heard this complaint before about
xscreensaver not installing a private map, but I either don't understand
the problem, or have a unique X server (using Xsun server with solaris
2.5.1 and 2.6).

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:15:46 -0500

> the problem, or have a unique X server (using Xsun server with solaris

Same server as me.

You would see the symptom as strange colors while xscreensaver runs.
Since most xscreensaver hacks are strange anyway, maybe you aren't
noticing?

I commonly see the hacks running with white, or unusual color backgrounds.
Most of the hacks are supposed to run on black backgrounds.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:32:48 +0100

> the problem, or have a unique X server (using Xsun server with solaris

I've got the same problem with some of the xscreensaver modes
(they just fail) and some demos like xtacy.

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].