Subject: RedHat finds a 'serious bug' in fvwm2?

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Dec 1998 09:35:24 -0600

When RedHat announced the new XFree RPMS, they said the following:

 New RPMs for XFree86 3.3.3 (X11) are available for Red Hat Linux 4.2 and
 5.x on all platforms. This new release contains a large number of new
 features and bugfixes, including some related to system security.  New
 RPMs of the fvwm2 window manager for Red Hat Linux 5.x are also available,
 as the new X release exposed a serious bug.

They still ship 2.0.46+patches.  Anyone have any idea what the 'serious
bug' is?  It's probably already been fixed, but given past experience
there's a nonzero chance that it hasn't been reported here.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:33:32 +0000

> there's a nonzero chance that it hasn't been reported here.

Alan, could you let us (Debian and the fvwm-workers team) know what
the Red Hat fvwm2 bug was?  Is it security-related (a la /tmp usage
from several years ago).

Austin

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:02:09 +0000

> there's a nonzero chance that it hasn't been reported here.

I've had a message from Alan Cox saying he's forwarded my query on to
someone else who's looking after fvwm2 for Red Hat.  I'll get back to
the list about this one.

Austin