Subject: Meta: Can Majordomo insert a reply-to header?

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 10:57:18 +0000

I have been using formail (part of the procmail package) to insert a
Reply-To header but I've had to turn this off because it splits up bug
reports.  Would it be possible to get Majordomo to insert this header?

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Dec 1998 10:03:34 -0600

>>>>> "TP" == Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

TP> Would it be possible to get Majordomo to insert this header?

It is possible.  I don't intend to do it.  See
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html.

Majordomo2 lets each user choose to get a Reply-To: if they want it.  I
suppose I would move this list to Majordomo2, but there's the issue of
stability.

 - J<

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:18:27 +0000

OK you convinced me

> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html.

Now there's a person that doesn't beat around the bush.  It's a shame that
Netscape puts the author in the TO: and the worker list in the Cc:. I could
really use a third type of reply: reply only to recipients.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 08 Dec 1998 11:39:23 -0500

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> I have been using formail (part of the procmail package) to insert
  tp> a Reply-To header but I've had to turn this off because it splits
  tp> up bug reports.

What do you mean?  If you mean it takes a single email message
containing a bug report and splits it up into multiple messages, then
formail is broken.  Are you using the latest version?  Maybe there's
some kind of flag you can give it?

Those messages are valid single email messages (note the second "From "
is escaped with a ">").

  tp> Would it be possible to get Majordomo to insert this header?

If I understand what you're saying, I'm against it.  Every mailing list
I join that does this, I lobby hard to have it changed.

  http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

PS. Of course, majordomo _can_ do it :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].