Subject: Re: [PATCH] suppress needless icon recreation

From: [email-masked] (Peter Funk)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:43:50 +0100 (MET)

Hello!

I wrote to Mattias Engdegård in reply to his message to workers list:
>>In your patch you added 4 pixels for border.  Is this always 4?
>>I thought, the actual number of pixels depends on the current 
>>configuration, but I don't know for sure.  

Mattias Engdegård replied and asks:
>I suspected that too, but I found the constant 4 in icons.c (see
>CreateIconWindow()) so I hard-coded it. I don't feel too happy about
>it, and the entire code should be handled better, but then we all know
>that fvwm is a crock that should be rewritten anyway :-)
>
>By the way, how does the patch end up in the development tree? Do I
>have to commit the change into CVS myself, send it to some maintainer
>or can someone (you?) do it for me? I don't subscribe to the
>fvwm-workers list, nor have I used the CVS server before.

Also I'm subscribed to the fvwm-workers list I am not a very active
maintainer (to say the least).  I am just a very satisfied user and
beta tester.  But since fvwm2 simply works well for me I keep my
mouth shut on the list most of the time.  May be someone else on 
the list could answer Mattias question?

Regards, Peter
-- 
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Tel: 04222 9502 70, Fax: -60
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 08 Dec 1998 11:19:44 -0500

>> fvwm-workers list, nor have I used the CVS server before.

The CVS tree is read-only to the general public; anyone (with a CVS
client) can download the latest version as of that second.

However, write access is not general: typically what happens is you
start inundating the list with lots of good patches and the people with
write access get tired and give you write permissions to save themselves
work :).

So, the short answer is you should do exactly what you did: send patches
to the fvwm-workers list.  Discussion will probably follow for any new
feature.

Alternatively, you can submit a bug to the Jitterbug database with your
patch included, and someone will move it to the enhancements queue.
Remember that fvwm-workers gets a notification of all bugs submitted, so
you don't need to do both.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].