Subject: regular expressions

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:50:20 -0500 (EST)

Well I am unfortunatelly going to have to bow out of this conversation,
but I'll give it a thread name so I can find it when I get back on the
3rd.

Back to the discussion
Dominik, keep in mind that adding regular expressions won't help with
your Style ordering matches, what we probably need there is the syntax
(I think it was Dan) suggested to designate class, resource, ...  With
that you can specify wich you want, and with GSFR we could probably handle
marking something as the overider so if you had class and title that
matched a window, styles could be merged or not, and the overider would
win on conflicts.  Explicitlly picking one is better than the stack system
we have now.

Now for regular expressions, I'm not really sure how much extra code it
would take, but for your example you said 
[Nn]etscape*  wouldn't ?etscape* work too, do you have any betscape
windows around, and if you did just add the extra betscape line.

Well there are my thoughts, so have a good holiday all, and please no more
than 500 messages between now and the 3rd.  

Brad 

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:06:46 -0800

Previously...
>win on conflicts.  Explicitlly picking one is better than the stack system

I'd just like to chime in that a style syntax like:
Style -class netscape
would be, to me, more useful than
Style -class /netscape/i
Especially with tk-based programs where the class and resources, and
sometimes even the title and icon strings are left as default... I've
got scads of class:Toplevel windows that I like to try to Style, but
with limited success.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will stop talking about the twelve inch pianist
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:37:03 -0500

> >win on conflicts.  Explicitlly picking one is better than the stack system

I'm not following this overrider stuff at all.

Bear in mind that lots of different attributes are merged into
a structure with the last one winning.  Each style command
can have one or more attributes.  If you wanted to enter a style
command and mark it as an overrider, you would need an overrider
flag for each attribute in the command.  Then as you attempted to
merge, a particular attribute, you would have to check to see
if you already accepted that attribute with an overrider.

What I'm not following is how that would relate to GSFR at all.
To be sure you would need overrider flags for most of the style
flags, but you would also need overrider flags for everything
else style related.

So far, I'm not fond of the idea.

> mike ([email-masked])

497 and counting.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:24:07 -0800

Previously...
>I'm not following this overrider stuff at all.

I was more referring to your previous suggestion, which Brad
mentioned, regarding the utility of specifying which string to
match. Hence my snipped example:
Style -class "Toplevel"
Though I suppose the current matching is quite symmetrical to X
resource strings, which is good. Still, for X resources, there's less
to match, since they never try to match against the title/icon
strings, only resource and class...

So I guess I was agreeing with you, but following up Brad's message.
Sorry, bad form.

>[snip stuff about logistics of override]

Overrides, I'm really far less sure about and sounds a bit arcane to
me. *That* point, made by Brad, can be hashed out by him next year.
And I don't even want to go *near* a thread involving GSFR...

>> mike ([email-masked])

497 subscriptions? I've lurked fvwm-workers for well over a year
now...
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I do not have power of attorney over first graders
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 01:05:05 +0100 (MET)

Well, I think Brad is right, we need more control about what is
matched against, I think it should become a priority to add some kind of
option to the Style (as one suggested something like -class, -title, etc
would be nice). Just one more thing if we do it we need to do it right, as
it seems that classes and titles are the less standard thing, if not
aggree, try some qt or tk apps under window maker, which is supposed to
use the WMHINTS :-).

	Happy Xmas

<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
   One O.S. to rule them all,          |  German Gomez Garcia
      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]
   One O.S. to bring them all          |
      and in the darkness bind them.   |  "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"
<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:37:08 -0500

> strings, only resource and class...

The current matching is against "name", "class", and "resource".
(I am using FvwmIdentify terminology.)

FvwmIdentify also shows "IconName".  I think style matching
should be against all 4 fields, possibly more.

> 497 subscriptions? I've lurked fvwm-workers for well over a year

No, Brad asked that we not send more than 500  messages before he gets
back.  I  had this crazy idea  that  I would count down  the remaining
number of mails allowed by Brad to each of my mails until he got back,
but too late, I've already lost track.

Or is that 489 and counting?

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:22:30 -0800

Previously...
>should be against all 4 fields, possibly more.

Ah, sorry to be dense. What besides title, icon, class, resource did
you have in mind? I do think explicitly specifying *what* string
you're trying to hit with a Style line would be handy too.

>Or is that 489 and counting?

Aaaah... probably dropped to 486 or so by now...
_________
mike ([email-masked])
Nobody likes sunburn slappers
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].