Subject: growing windows still

From: Richard Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:57:42 -0500

I looked at jitterbug, and I'm not sure whether people think this is fixed
or not. But I am still having problems with tkbiff using the latest CVS.

Occasionally tkbiff will start growing widthwise pretty fast, and keep
going until it reaches just under the width of the *desktop* (all pages).

Seems to occur when the tkbiff window changes size. May also be related to
the window being partially obscured and then getting a refresh while
changing size. But I've not identified the exact circumstances yet.

I also have an occasional problem with FvwmIconMan wandering down and
to the right when new windows are added to the list.

Both tkbiff and FvwmIconMan have HandleWidth 0.

Ric

Richard J Lister, Georgetown Institute for Cognitive and Computational Sciences
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Phone: +1 202-687 2878
Email: [email-masked] 
Web: http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~ric/
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:15:30 -0800

> or not. But I am still having problems with tkbiff using the latest CVS.

Just to put my two cents in, I'm finally seeing this (for the first time!)
with xv.  It's slowly shifting down and to the right from its upper left
hand corner position as I move from one picture to another.  Looks like
it's only one pixel at a time, though.

Another odd thing with regard to sizing ... I've managed to get xbuffy to
start up with the wrong size.  I don't give it a full geometry
specification, just the position.  But it would come out about 20 pixels
too tall.  I couldn't figure out what caused this, and it doesn't happen
all the time.  If I see it again, I'll try tracking it down.

Thanks,
Danek

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:21:44 +0100

> all the time.  If I see it again, I'll try tracking it down.

I'll fill the move/resize/event code with DBUG lines soon. I want
to see these bugs dead! Even if I have to put in three DBUG calls
in for every code line ;-|

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:17:56 +0100

> all the time.  If I see it again, I'll try tracking it down.

So, the wandering FvwmWinList/xv problem should be gone, but how
about xbuffy being too tall? Does it actually grow more than once?
And what about tkbiff growing rapidly. Could you both try to get
the debug output I prepared (you need to #define DEBUG in config.h
manually, configuring with --enable-debug-msgs is not enough).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:51:56 -0800

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 08:17:56PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> So, the wandering FvwmWinList/xv problem should be gone,

Yep, thanks.

> but how about xbuffy being too tall?

That's something that didn't happen too often.  I think it happened maybe
five times in the brief period where I was using one of the 2.1.5 versions
*and* happened to be restarting xbuffy a whole lot because I was mucking
around with FvwmButtons as well.

So it's something I would see very rarely, but I can spend some time this
evening throwing up xbuffies and seeing if I get this behavior any more.
I'll try it with one of the older versions as well.

> Does it actually grow more than once?

No, the only thing it did was to show up too large on its first mapping.
The odd thing was that I gave it a SouthEast geometry, but the *top* of the
window showed up where it was supposed to be, and the bottom extended below
where it was supposed to be.

Can that even *be* an fvwm problem?

In retrospect, there might have been an FvwmButtons floating around that I
hadn't killed, and the xbuffy got sucked in and forced to fit one of the
buttons.

> Could you both try to get the debug output I prepared (you need to
> #define DEBUG in config.h manually, configuring with --enable-debug-msgs
> is not enough).

Oops.  I saw the #define of DBUG and just read the E into that.  Sorry.  ;)

If I can reproduce the behavior again, I'll fire up the debug version.

Danek

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:59:06 +0100

> Can that even *be* an fvwm problem?

Yes, certainly. Some parts ignore gravity completely after the
upper left corner is known. If it gets too large then...

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:29:57 -0800

I fired up xbuffy a couple hundred times last night, both on the newest CVS
and one of the older ones which still had the wandering xv problem.

No dice.

I didn't try it with FvwmButtons again, but I'm sick of trying to get that
to work the way I want it to.

Danek

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:34:30 +0100

> to work the way I want it to.

Oh, I can understand this wo well. I think if I read another mail
about growing or wandering windows I'll jump out of the window. Sigh.
I'm living in the basement. Maybe some other way.

Bye

Dominik