Subject: Bug #48 -- Window under mouse at startup doesn't get focus

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Dec 1998 23:52:39 -0500

I just created bug #48 which is this old thing.  I knew I'd seen a patch
go by so I searched the archives and found the relevant thread that
starts last Nov (see the bug for the URL).

The result was that Bob W. created the MouseFocusOnStartup unofficial
patch based on some code from Greg B. and scwm.

I think that should be applied, as that bug annoys the dickens out of
me too.  Are there any issues with it, or should I go ahead and merge it
in?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Dec 1998 00:06:30 -0500

Ho hum.  Looking at the code I see that patch was already applied.

So, I'd like to inform folks that it ain't working :)

My setup is:

  AddToFunc InitFunction
  + "I" Module FvwmAuto 500

That's right, not a single mention of "focus" of any kind in my
~/.fvwm2rc file, so I'm getting the default behavior, whatever that is,
plus FvwmAuto.

And this patch isn't helping my problem.

Thoughts?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 14:49:46 -0500

>   + "I" Module FvwmAuto 500

Isn't this supposed to be:

AddToFunc InitFunction "I" Module FvwmAuto 500

>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Dec 1998 15:09:51 -0500

>> + "I" Module FvwmAuto 500

  de> Isn't this supposed to be:

  de> AddToFunc InitFunction "I" Module FvwmAuto 500

As I understand it there's no difference... ?  The + does the same
thing as having it all on the same line.

Anyway, it works and has worked for me basically since FvwmAuto was
first created.

Except that when I start FVWM, it doesn't give focus to the window under
the mouse.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 17:06:39 -0500 (EST)

> Except that when I start FVWM, it doesn't give focus to the window under

	Sorry I've been out of touch lately. I had a family medical
emergency to attend to. My activity will likely remain irregular for
the next few days.

	I seem to recall that some changes went in recently affecting
window list reorganization and focus transfer that looked like they
might make mouse focus behave a little more like click focus under
certain circumstances. I don't remember who did them or when, or just
what was changed. If I have any time this weekend I'll see if I can
locate that message thread, but you might get there before me. I do
think this would be the place to start looking; something seems to
be defeating my (actually Greg's) patch to coerce mouse focus at
startup.

- Bob

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 13:58:21 +0000

> be defeating my (actually Greg's) patch to coerce mouse focus at

It was me. I was attempting to get the windowlist to behave logically and
usefully and inadvertently broke the Focus command slightly.  I've committed
the fix today so could you try it and see if mouse focus on start-up is fixed.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: "Michael Kirby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:13:44 -0500

There used to be a command for installing fvwm2 as fvwm. (without 
the version identifier being required for the .fvmwrc file).

With the move to autoconfig, this seems to have disappeared.  Is it 
gone permanently or is there a magic configuration item that needs 
to be set?  If it is gone forever, then we should probably update the 
FAQ (#28) and reflect that.

Also, fvwm.tmpl seems to have disappeared, and I believe there are 
still a number of documentation references to it in the FAQ.

Mike

---
[email-masked]
To obtain my PGP public key, mail "SEND PUB KEY" in the 
subject to "[email-masked]"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:50:59 -0500 (EST)

This still isn't working, as of tonight's CVS. Has anybody made
any progress on this one?

- Bob

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:29:09 -0500 (EST)

I really haven't had time to look at this yet but could the problem be due
to the fix Dominik made to through away events created before fv fully
starts?  Just a thought.

If thats true we probably need to put the code that gives window focus,
in between these lines in fvwm.c
  fFvwmInStartup = False;
  DBUG("main","Entering HandleEvents loop...");
  HandleEvents();

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:50:24 -0500 (EST)

> to the fix Dominik made to through away events created before fv fully

	Hmmm...I hadn't noticed that one. I'll take a look at it
this evening.

- Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:32:00 +0100

> to the fix Dominik made to through away events created before fv fully

I don't think so. I don't throw away events, just set the
ClickTime to a value < 0 to speed up starting. But fell free
to check that anyway, I'm never quite sure what the implications
of all my patches are (when the count reaches three digits you
might start to forget some things ;-) ).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:37:53 -0500 (EST)

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > ...could the problem be due to the fix Dominik made to through
> > away events created before fv fully starts?
> 
> to check that anyway...

	You're right. [sigh]  The simple change makes no difference.
I'll have to trace through what's happening during the Coerce call.

- Bob