Subject: Everyone with CVS write access...

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 15 Dec 1998 10:41:45 -0500

If you have CVS write access to check things into the tree, AND you've
installed automake so you can rebuild makefiles, PLEASE READ!

Please edit your automake script (it's in Perl) and check the line:

  $TAR = "tar";

If the variable $TAR is set to some other value, like "gtar" or
"gnutar", please modify the script to look like the above; just "tar".

Details:

It turns out that when you configure and install automake, it will stick
some values into the automake script which are then inserted verbatim
into all Makefile.in files automake generates.  Since we check in these
Makefile.in's, if people have different values then they'll rebuild the
Makefile.in files and "commit" will check them all in.  Then the next
person will come along, and "commit" a new set which changes the value
back.  Etc.

We want to all use the same value to avoid this flip-flopping.

Thanks!

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:03:41 -0500

> We want to all use the same value to avoid this flip-flopping.

Paul,

  I got the   message the first   time,  but it was a   little subtle.
Perhaps we want to store this away in the DEVELOPERS file?

> Thanks!
> 
> -- 
>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].