Subject: Test CVS server up

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Dec 1998 13:22:56 -0600

I've put up a CVS server on fvwm.math.uh.edu; I'd like folks to try it out
and see if there is any noticeable performance difference.  This machine
should be a bit faster than the old clunker, but it only has 64MB of RAM
(and it's an Alpha, so binaries are huge; the old machine had a few hundred
meg).  We'll see how it goes.  If anyone has any additional 72-pin true
parity memory they feel like tossing, feel tree to toss it my way.  I'm
going to scrounge around and see what I can find around here.

You can access the server with -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs/fvwm
and you will have to login again.  Don't overwrite your main source tree.

If this runs OK and I can find some more RAM, I'll have everyone switch.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 11:24:03 -0500

> If this runs OK and I can find some more RAM, I'll have everyone switch.

I got login to work, but checkout failed.

Me> cvs -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs/fvwm checkout -d servertest fvwm
cvs checkout: in directory servertest:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs server: Updating servertest
U servertest/AUTHORS
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot open CVS/Entries.Log: No such file or directory

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 1998 10:46:06 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

Me> cvs -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs/fvwm checkout -d servertest
Me> fvwm
DE> cvs checkout: in directory servertest: cvs checkout: cannot open
DE> CVS/Entries

I think that's a local error; the same command line (changing dane to
tibbs, of course) works fine here.  I'm at CVS 1.10.3, as is the server.

Has anyone else tried?

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 13:40:26 -0500

> tibbs, of course) works fine here.  I'm at CVS 1.10.3, as is the server.

Well I tried again and it worked fine.

As you can  see I tried  to check out  into a directory other than the
default "fvwm".  On my first test, I made  the mistake of creating the
directory "servertest" before I  did the checkout.  The above messages
are  the apparent result of  doing that.  Without  the directory being
there, it works fine.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 1998 13:00:48 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> Without the directory being there, it works fine.

CVS continues to surprise.

Honestly I know Perforce to be the better system, but CVS really is the
path of least resistance.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:16:58 +0100

> going to scrounge around and see what I can find around here.

It runs smoothly but slow for me. With the old server I got the
complete tree in 128 seconds while with the new server I had to
wait about 225 seconds.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:21:29 +0100

> complete tree in 128 seconds while with the new server I had to

Sorry, forget it, my checkout from the old server went astray
(i.e. to a local disk instead of the remote disk I used for the
new server). I'll try again.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:28:53 +0100

> going to scrounge around and see what I can find around here.

So, here are the correct numbers for a complete checkout:

old server: 135 seconds
new server: 191 seconds

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Dec 1998 14:30:18 -0500

Funny.  I haven't tried it since my previous message about the bad
commit, but when I did the new one was a bit faster; as I recall:

  old:  49 seconds
  new:  37 seconds

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].