Subject: Where to find the x-includes and x-libraries

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:43:24 -0500 (EST)

When building with autoconf, I think the x-includes and x-libraries should
be set relative to the path by default.

i.e I have the following X installations;
/usr/openwin
/usr/local/X116
/usr/local/X11R6.3
/usr/local/X11R6.4

The defaults for this system link /usr/local/X11R6.3/bin/* /usr/local/bin.
This means that /usr/local/bin/xmkmf is found first for most people.

However if I do the following in my shell before autoconf;
setenv PATH /usr/local/X11R6.4/bin:$PATH

Fvwm does the wrong thing with some of its paths and finds stuff in
someone's predefined order of how things should be searched. I consider this
a bug. Fvwm should use the location of xmkmf or imake in the PATH (if
found) as the default place to build x-includes and x-libraries.

I do not know if autoconf has a way to use imake/xmkmf to gain pertainant
information, but if if does this would be more consistant. (actually,
looking at how gtk+ builds, I see they have done this correctly in their
"configure".

Randall

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].