Subject: Themes...

From: John Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:02:48 -0800

Hey guys,

This is Cobalt over at fvwm.themes.org.  I don't know if I am sending
this to the correct place, but I have a question.  Is there going to be
a theme system in future versions of fvwm2?  The single file .fvwm2rc is
really bad as far config'ing is concerned.  I don't know what exactly to
suggest, maybe just dividing the .fvwm2rc into different peices for
different functions..  Maybe like WM does, with menus that
autogenerate.  I don't exactly know..

Please tell me what you think, and/or if you are doing this already, and
other information bout your plans.

Cobalt
(fvwm.themes.org  /  [email-masked])

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:48:15 +0100

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 07:02:48PM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> this to the correct place, but I have a question.

You are.

> Is there going to be a theme system in future versions of fvwm2? 

Well, we're always hoping someone takes this work off our backs ;-)

> The single file .fvwm2rc is
> autogenerate.

Oh, but you *can* have multiple files. I have seen configs with a whole
tree of subconfiguration files. All you have to do is to use the
'Read' command (or 'FvwmCpp' or 'FvwmM4' if you want preprocessing.
This works like including files into .fvwm2rc. Or you can read in
shell command output with 'PipeRead'.

> other information bout your plans.

There was some dicussion about theme support in the last few weeks
(I think you triggered that last time). But I didn't follow that.
In general the outcome was that theme support is one of the
biggest open issues but since we are very busy with 2.2 there was
not much time to think about that. Others may have more information.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:18:10 -0500

> other information bout your plans.

As Dominik points out, we are interested in themes.

On the other hand, we recently trimmed out a collection of pixmaps and
backgrounds from  the main  fvwm2  package.  We did this,  because  we
don't currently install  any of these things,  and we like fvwm2 to be
able to fit on a 1.4 meg diskette.

I think we  agree amongst ourselves that  themes are a separate entity
from fvwm2 itself.  We recently  updated the links  on our web page to
point to the  themes  pages  we are  aware  of.  If  you  can identify
changes needed to fvwm2   to more fully   support themes, we would  be
interested.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 Dec 1998 09:44:08 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> If you can identify changes needed to fvwm2 to more fully support
  de> themes, we would be interested.

I think this is the key.  Most of us don't use themes, so we don't
really feel like we understand what issues there may or may not be with
supporting them.

What we'd really like is if you folks who are working with them
day-to-day can provide feedback about what makes that task especially
difficult in fvwm2 today and/or what you'd like to see done about it, we
can come up with some enhancements to ease the burden.

This would be post-2.2, of course :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].