Subject: A compilation problem and a request

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 18:57:16 -0800

This is with a grab of the CVS tree today at 20:49:13 (UTC, I guess),
according to CVS/Entries, but I think it applies to 2.1.4 as well.

On my Linux box, I was unable to compile with --enable-extras turned on
because of a problem in FvwmConsole.  FvwmConsole.h includes sys/un.h
before sys/socket.h.  Unfortunately, sys/un.h on my libc5 setup simply
includes linux/un.h, which doesn't define sa_family_t.  This is defined in
sys/socket.h, which is included immediately after sys/un.h in
FvwmConsole.h.

Switching the order of the two lines fixed the problem, and everything
compiled fine afterwards.

I don't believe this is a problem for glibc2 (libc6) Linux systems.

My request is this.  Ever since the switch from fvwm 1 to fvwm 2, I have
kept the name fvwm, rather than switching to fvwm2.  This always struck me
as an ugly hack to make sure that people would be caught unawares and shoot
themselves in the foot.

Luckily, in the old Imakefile setup, there was an option to disable the
rename, and I always took that option.  It doesn't seem like that option
exists now in the new (and really smooth, I might add ... thanks!)
configure setup.

So if we're never going to return to a binary without a builtin version
number by default, could we at least have an option to do without it for
those of us who haven't had fvwm1 on their system since, um ... since ...
well, a really, really long time?

(If the answer is `We're willing to accept such a patch if you write it',
then I will, but I'd appreciate any pointers as to what I'd need to change
and how.)

Thanks, everyone, for a job well done.
Danek
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].