Subject: Can't commit to new CVS server?

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Dec 1998 23:53:55 -0500

The new cvs server seems a good bit more responsive than the old one,
but if I try to commit a change I get this error:

  cvs server: cannot exec /cvs/fvwm/CVSROOT/commit_prep: No such file or directory
  cvs server: Pre-commit check failed
  cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!

checkout and release seem to work fine...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 1998 23:08:32 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> The new cvs server seems a good bit more responsive than the old one,
PDS> but if I try to commit a change I get this error:

You don't want to commit to it, since it just has a copy of the sources
from some random time.  They aren't kept in sync or anything.

PDS> cvs server: cannot exec /cvs/fvwm/CVSROOT/commit_prep: No such file
PDS> or directory

I need to fixup the location of Perl.  I've done that, so you should be
able to test out commits, but keep in mind that nothing you do will get
saved.

I'm glad to hear that the new machine is more responsive.  It should be,
but there is one annoying performance problem relating to CVS stupidity
that I'm hoping I can find a way around.  Essentially, when you checkout it
copies the entire directory structure of the repository to /tmp to make
locks in or something, then deletes it when the update is done.  One the
Sun, /tmp is in RAM so this doesn't take too long.  The Alpha doesn't have
tmpfs, though, so it has to actually write to disk, which takes a while.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Dec 1998 01:22:40 -0500

jlt> You don't want to commit to it, since it just has a copy of the
  jlt> sources from some random time.  They aren't kept in sync or
  jlt> anything.

Understood; I just wanted to try committing to see if it worked.  Just
some throwaway bogus changes.

  jlt> I need to fixup the location of Perl.  I've done that, so you should be
  jlt> able to test out commits, but keep in mind that nothing you do will get
  jlt> saved.

I'll try it... tomorrow :-/.

  jlt> The Alpha doesn't have tmpfs, though, so it has to actually write
  jlt> to disk, which takes a while.

Bummer.  Maybe if you ran Alpha/Linux? :)

PS. Weren't you going to bed?  Go to sleep!  Sounds like good advice I
    shall take myself.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Dec 1998 09:41:01 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Bummer.  Maybe if you ran Alpha/Linux? :)

I like Linux, I really do.  But DU is a really, really good Unix.  Linux on
the Alpha has a place, especially when DU costs $1000, but when you get DU
for free, there is really very little reason to run Linux.

Read the Linux/Alpha groups; there are nagging problems and bugs that you
just don't see with DU.  Plus, you can't install it over a serial console,
and these machines don't have graphics.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 07 Dec 1998 10:02:11 -0500

jlt> I like Linux, I really do.  But DU is a really, really good Unix.
  jlt> Linux on the Alpha has a place, especially when DU costs $1000,
  jlt> but when you get DU for free, there is really very little reason
  jlt> to run Linux.

Well, it has a tmpfs.

I'm just spoofin' you, though, that wasn't a serious suggestion.  I'm
sure you have better things to do that mess with that; I know it's not
nearly as stable and robust as Intel/Linux.

Heck, I run Solaris on my SPARC and have not even the slightest thoughts
of installing SPARC/Linux.