Subject: Re: FVWM: A problem with EdgeResistance, EdgeScroll (fvwn 2.1.45)

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 09:01:12 -0500 (EST)

Dan Espen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > > Dan Espen wrote:
> > > > > Perhaps some X Servers aren't happy with 1 pixel wide windows.
> > Well, if that's the bug, would you please back this
> > auto-hide fix out, Dan?
> Jui-Hsuan Feng's approach seems like a likely candidate.

	I don't think this is a good idea. At the very least, users
(particularly me) need a way to disable the new behavior.

	My objection is that Jui-Hsuan Feng's approach breaks core
functionality for the sake of an optional module from the extras
directory. I haven't experienced any problems with the 1-pixel pan
frames, but obviously some people do, so we have to fix that; but
but giving StaysOnTop windows precedence over edge scrolling is
worse than the original autohide problem, IMO. I think this one needs
a little more thought, once we're out from under the pressure of
an impending release.

	In my setup, I use edge scrolling constantly. I have my
mouse sensitivity set so that I can move at a pretty brisk clip,
and I can move from one end of my 4 x 4 virtual desktop to the other
with a quick flick of the wrist and not run off the edge of the
mouse pad. Having some intervening StaysOnTop window interfere with
this would be constantly infuriating.

	For this release, could we maybe hack in a config option so one
could set the pan fram width to either the new or the old value? Then
we can study the matter at greater leisure. Perhaps for the long term
solution we would want a new command to change the pan frame width on
the fly, or even a modification of Jui-Hsuan's patch that adds the
ability to enable/disable this behavior (with a run-time command, not
a config opt).

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:43:13 -0500

> ability to enable/disable this behavior (with a run-time command, not

Bob, you are making a lot of good points.

Expect a patch along those lines shortly.

Your point about an optional module from the extras directory seems to
be especially well taken.  I'll have to check Jitterbug, but we should
have a load of bug reports on this module.  I managed  get a core file
from this module  quite quickly, it won't   pop down when a  window is
near it,  and it doesn't  seem to reflect  window state  until it gets
focus, and so  far I haven't figured  out why  some buttons have  tool
tips and others don't.

To be fair, I'm not done verifying these problems.

Any thoughts about how this new command:

PanFrameThickness [0-2]

is going to impact future development.   It does seem to interact with
things that want to autohide, or stay on top.  It looks like a working
autohide  module  would   need  to    query  fvwm2 for    the  current
panframethickness setting.

My first inclination is to limit it to 0, 1, or 2 so we have something
to work with.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:10:25 +0100

> a little more thought, once we're out from under the pressure of

I fully agree to Bob's opinion. Yes, autohiding is broken and needs
a better solution, but I see no need to break EdgeScrolling instead
just to have a quick but dirty fix. We need a clean solution finally,
but surely not before 2.2. If someone is willing to do the work we
might put in a temporary configure option '--enable-autohide-hack'
to have both.

> ability to enable/disable this behavior (with a run-time command, not

Ah, Bob and I seem to think similarly ;-)

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]