Subject: Re: Growing windows (PR#28)

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 01:04:53 -0500 (EST)

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Tim had an idea about the creeping WinList earlier today and
> that rang a bell: Perhaps both, the growing windows and the
> creeping WinList are caused by HandleWidth vs BorderWidth.
> If both values are different and some code fails to
> distinguish between them this could exactly explain both
> bugs.

	As Tomas reported also, I have HandleWidth and BorderWidth
set to the same value (usually 5, in my case), so that's not the
problem here.

	I've made some more observations, but little progress. It's
slow going when you can't reproduce the thing at will, but have to
wait for some unknown condition.  :-(

	I've finally observed what some others have reported: that,
once it starts, other apps are also affected. What I see seems to point
the accusatory finger at the border code.

	When the fit strikes, if I open a new rxvt window (I'm using an
old version of rxvtxpm, if it matters, but with a plain white background),
the window momentarily flashes a bit of black border along the bottom and
the right side, then quickly covers its immodesty. I haven't tried to
determine whether the window has grown, because the next one is much
more interesting.

	Xforms apps (I only use a couple, Xisp and Xfpovray) appear with
what looks like some extra border area (on the bottom and right side)
that never gets drawn - i.e., you see the desktop background through it.
These windows are difficult to gather information about, because Xforms
doesn't handle whatever's wrong here very well. If I switch to a different
page, and then back, the app dies (Xfpovray just goes away silently, Xisp
dies with a "Bad Drawable" message on an XGetGeometry request).

	This suggests to me two things: first, that the border code is
somehow involved; and second, that some static variable or a field in
the ScreenInfo structure is getting set with a bogus value, or not being
reset when it should be, since the effect spreads to other windows
unrelated to the original victim. And when I manually resize the problem
window, the problem is cleared up globally as well.

	I'm trying to trace the event sequences with normal and pathological
windows. I'll let you know what I find.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].