Subject: Two bug I found in FvwmButtons with panel (Fvwm-2.1.4)

From: Guangyong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 21:25:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, I think I've found another two bugs in FvwmButtons using panel in
fvwm-2.1.4 on my linux 2.0.36 PC.
 I have a buttonbar composed of a few panels, like the flollowing:

*FvwmButtons(Title Terminal,Icon xterm.linux_3d.xpm,Panel (right)
Terminal)
*FvwmButtons(Title PPP,Icon ppp.xpm,Panel (right) PPP)
*FvwmButtons(Title Softwares,Icon pick_3d.xpm,Panel (right) Softwares)
*FvwmButtons(Title Games,Icon games.xpm ,Panel (right) Games)
*FvwmButtons(Title WinOps,Icon bomb_defuse_3d.xpm,Panel (right) WinOps)
*FvwmButtons(Title Exit,Icon quit.xpm,Panel (right) Exit)
#*FvwmButtons(Title ,Icon ,Panel (right) )

and in the panel "Softwares" I have two more sub-panel defined:

*FvwmButtonsPanel Softwares
*FvwmButtonsGeometry +0+0
*FvwmButtonsRows 1		
*FvwmButtonsBack bisque2	
*FvwmButtonsFore #f020f0
*FvwmButtonsFont -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

*FvwmButtons(Title Emacs,Icon gnu-animal.xpm, Action  `Exec
/usr/bin/emacs &`) 
*FvwmButtons(Title Plan,Icon cal_3d.xpm, Action  `Exec
/usr/local/bin/plan`) 
*FvwmButtons(Title ICQ,Icon icq.xpm, Action  `Exec /home/gxu/bin/ICQ`) 
*FvwmButtons(Title StarOffice ,Icon office.xpm, Action  `Exec
/home/gxu/opt/Office50/bin/soffice`) 
*FvwmButtons(Title Top,Icon xload.next.xpm, Action  `Exec
/home/gxu/bin/xtop`)
*FvwmButtons(Title Audio,Icon Music.xpm,Panel (up) Audio )
*FvwmButtons(Title Graphics,Icon paint2_3d.xpm,Panel (down) Graphics)

The first bug comes like this:
When I press the botton "Softwares" to bring out the panel "Softwares",
then press the botton "Audio" in the panel to bring out a second panel,
a child of the first one. I press the botton "Softwares" again, the first
panel "Softwares" disappeared, but the panel "Audio" is still there,
hanging in the air!!

The second bug: if I bring out more in one panels at a time such as
"Terminal", "Softwares", "PPP", etc., and press a button in any of these
panel bars, as the command gets executed, all the panels disappear! I
believe the right way is either the panel with the button I pressed should
disappear and the others should remain, or they should all remain until
being pulled back manually. 

Did anyone else on other systems experience the same thing? I'd like to
know if this is a bug of the program. Thanks.

Best wishes,
G.Xu

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jui-Hsuan Feng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 21:37:00 CST

Hi,

These are not really bugs. I expect them will behave like this. :)

> When I press the button "Softwares" to bring out the panel "Softwares",
> then press the button "Audio" in the panel to bring out a second panel,
> a child of the first one. I press the button "Softwares" again, the first

My solution: Press the button "Softwares" to bring up the "Softwares" panel,
then press "Audio" to close up the hanging "Audio" panel. :)
In fact, if there are two bottons that invoke the same "Audio" panel and
are pressed, one will bring up the panel and the other will hide it. Otherwise
showing two identical panels is kind of waste of resource, which is against
the philosophy of Fvwm. So all the panels are of the same rank, the only
parent they have is the root/main panel. However, if two panels are designed
identically with different names, they can show up at the same time.

> being pulled back manually. 

We can argue about this. Usaully I search for a certain button, when I find
it, I can invoke the application without going back to close all those panels,
since they take up space and you don't want them to stay there after you
find the button you want. The CDE's panels sure have the behavior you described.
But I think some of the CDE's features are not that good; for example, the
FvwmPager is a lot better than the CDE's only 4 windows, amoung which you
can not drag one application window to another. And what you found is the
CDE's convetion I don't want to stick to. Anyhow, just my opnion.

> To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm" in the body of a
> message to [email-masked].
> To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].
> 

Regards
--
J. Joshua Feng                            (O)608/262-3640
Electrical & Computer Engr., Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~fengj  [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Guangyong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 02:25:06 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the reply. I think you have a point there. However, the second
one I mentioned, maybe there could be an option to control the actions of
the panels (i.e., the user can specify if the panels will withdraw or not
after a button is pressed?)

There is one more thing I found out today. It looks like the buttonbars in
the panel do not have support for *FvwmButtonPixmap. This works for my
root panel, but no other panels could use a pixmap background. Was it
designed to be that way or just forgotten:-)?

all the best,
-g

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:59:25 +0100

> > panel "Softwares" disappeared, but the panel "Audio" is still there,

It's easy: it has to be either fixed or documented

> CDE's convetion I don't want to stick to. Anyhow, just my opnion.

I wouldn't like that too. You usually know where you have to look for
something so there it no need to close every open panel (I won't be
using panels much anyway since the menu geometry patch allows some
kind of panels too).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:49:58 +0100

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 09:25:17PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>...

I have applied the fix. Please verify that with the
current CVS source.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]