Subject: How about more by-version support?

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:58:54 -0500 (EST)

ls /usr/local/fvwm/libexec/fvwm/
2.1.2  2.1.3  2.1.4  2.1.5

ls /usr/local/fvwm/bin
FvwmCommand  fvwm2        xpmroot

If we are going to keep the modules around, it would be good to install
binaries by version also, and link the current one to the the default name;

ls /usr/local/fvwm/bin
FvwmCommand@       fvwm2@             fvwm2.1.3          fvwm2.1.5
FvwmCommand-2.1.5  fvwm2.1.2          fvwm2.1.4          xpmroot

Or else maybe install the whole tree in a subdirectoy and link everything
in. But if so, then the libexec/fvwm/$version is not needed.

/usr/local/fvwm/
2.1.2    2.1.3    2.1.4    2.1.5    bin      libexec  man

It just seems somewhat inconsistant to only keep the modules around, without
a convienent way to mainatain the rest of the old installation.

Does this seem reasonable? Thoughts?

Randall

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Dec 1998 11:28:17 -0500

%% "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]> writes:

  rsw> ls /usr/local/fvwm/libexec/fvwm/
  rsw> 2.1.2  2.1.3  2.1.4  2.1.5

  rsw> ls /usr/local/fvwm/bin
  rsw> FvwmCommand  fvwm2        xpmroot

  rsw> If we are going to keep the modules around, it would be good to
  rsw> install binaries by version also, and link the current one to the
  rsw> the default name;

I agree, and I've submitted a request to the automake folks to do
exactly this a couple of months ago; perhaps a different kind of install
rule a la install-strip (install-versioned ?).

It _may_ be possible to do this without automake support, but I'm not
sure... the install rule automake generates is kind of a "black box"; I
think there's only a postop rule you can run.  In that case we could
change the installation to use numbered installations, but the initial
install may whack the old fvwm2.  I'd have to try it out.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].