Subject: Re: RedHat finds a 'serious bug' in fvwm2? (fwd) (fwd)

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:30:39 +0000

This is the bug Red Hat found and fixed.

Can someone try and reproduce this?

Austin

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Cristian Gafton <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
cc: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RedHat finds a 'serious bug' in fvwm2? (fwd)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:58:45 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Alan, could you let us (Debian and the fvwm-workers team) know what
> > the Red Hat fvwm2 bug was?  Is it security-related (a la /tmp usage
> > from several years ago).

It was not a security bug, it was a stupid bug where fvwm2 will completely
crash because move_window or resize_window functions can be called for an
unexisiting window. Somehow our setup triggered those before fvwm2 will
have any chance to give focus to an valid open window, causeing a
segfault.

Cristian
------- end -------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].