Subject: New Exec docs

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 15:45:23 -0500 (EST)

Comments on this new description of Exec?

  .IP "Exec \fIcommand\fP"
  Executes \fIcommand\fP.  You should not use an ampersand ``&'' at the
  end of the command.  You probably want to use an additional ``exec'' at
  the beginning of \fIcommand\fP.  Without that, the shell that fvwm
  invokes to run your command will stay until the command exits.  In
  effect, you'll have twice as many processes running as you need.
  Note that some shells are smart enough to avoid this, but it never hurts
  to include the ``exec'' anyway.

  The following example binds function key F1 in the root window, with
  no modifiers, to the exec function.  The program rxvt will be started
  with an assortment of options.
  .EX
  Key F1 R N Exec exec rxvt -fg yellow -bg blue \\
    -e /bin/tcsh
  .EE

I also modified all examples of "Exec foo ..." in the man page to "Exec
exec foo ...".

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:09:30 -0500

>   Executes \fIcommand\fP.  You should not use an ampersand ``&'' at the
                          ^ asynchronously

Perhaps thats too big a word, but I'd like to make the point that:

Exec exec "echo AddToMenu ... > /tmp/file"
Read /tmp/file

won't work reliably.

>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:17:55 +0100

> Exec exec "echo AddToMenu ... > /tmp/file"

Well, if you want to make that point, don't hide it behind
'asynchronously'. I'd just write it into the manpage.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].