Subject: Re: Fvwm with VMS

From: [email-masked] (Fabien Villard)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:38:02 +0100

>You must be refering to this code:
>
>  x_fd = XConnectionNumber(dpy);
>
>  fd_width = GetFdWidth();
>  if (fcntl(x_fd, F_SETFD, 1) == -1)
>  {
>    fvwm_msg(ERR,"main","close-on-exec failed");
>    exit (1);
>  }

        Yes. That's it.

>I assume you saw the "bad file number" message when you added a perror
>call?
        I prefere strerror, but yes.

>Since the "1" would  make the file close  after an "exec", my guess is
>that  this  will somehow  limit   the available  file descriptors  for
>processes that fvwm starts.
>Bypassing the exit sounds like a logical first step.
        Ok, I  think I see it.  It becomes normal to not do that under
VMS where exec  (and  fork  and  all that kind of stuff) id not at all
implemented like in Unix.    With VMS, child processes can not inherit
the IO channels from their creator.  They have to reopen them in order
to mimic the father.
        Well, I'm not at the end.  For now the X server get crashed by
the fvwm process each time before drawing the first segment :-) I have
to analyze the  log  files  to guess (I'm not a privileged user on the
system :-( what happens.    I modified the fvwm_msg function in misc.c
to get a file in  addition  with  stderr  output.    But I think the X
server is to blame...
        Stay  tuned  and  thanks for the help, but again, feel free to
tell me if I bore you  all  with  this work.  I would be very proud to
achieve it but I'm not sure to  have  both  enough knowledges and good
conditions to get it.
        Fab.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].