Subject: FVWM CVS: fvwm domivogt

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:04:43 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	domivogt	98/12/08 19:04:42

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : builtins.c menus.c misc.h move.c resize.c 
	modules/FvwmPager: x_pager.c 

Log message:
* fvwm/resize.c: don't wait for buttons up before resizing a window when
initially placing it

* fvwm/move.c (moveLoop): a little clean up
(DisplayPosition): a little clean up
(Keyboard_shortcuts): patch to make cursor key work when placing
windows invoked from a menu
(Keyboard_shortcuts): removed old reference to menu code (not called
anymore from there).

* fvwm/misc.h:
* fvwm/builtins.c (DeferExecution):
* fvwm/resize.c (resize_window):
* fvwm/move.c (Keyboard_shortcuts):
(moveLoop): patch to Keyboard_shortcut (was used for other things than
move/resize which didn't work well).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:25:32 -0800

> move/resize which didn't work well).

Thanks for this one.

> * fvwm/resize.c: don't wait for buttons up before resizing a window when

To be a particularly ungrateful bastard, I'm going to complain about this
one.  I think I agree that the new behavior (old-new? new-old?) was better
-- easier on the wrist and all, as you pointed out.

The thing that struck me as wrong was the gratuitous and non backwards
compatible change in behavior.  If it's possible to do both, that would be
wonderful (say, the old way if you click and drag, the new way if you click
and release within ClickTime).

If both is impossible, then I think this `fix' should be reverted and
documented as `not a bug -- we're saving you from a debilitating disease'.
How many other WMs can advertise that?  :)

Then again, perhaps someone other than myself has an opinion on this?

Thanks,
Danek

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:51:53 +0100

> -- easier on the wrist and all, as you pointed out.

Well, I was just going to ask what people think about that.
Although I changed that back for now I'm not sure what we should have
in the end. Personally I prefer not having to move the mouse with a
button pressed, but since I don't use ActivePlacement that doesn't
bother me here. I wanted to see how difficult the 'fix' would be
(it is only one line).

> and release within ClickTime).

That will certainly be difficult. The button is pressed in a different
module than it is released. Well, the idea is nice and if it can be done
without some diry hack I shall do it. Would you hack that into Jitterbug?

> How many other WMs can advertise that?  :)

Maybe with a compile time option to change some kinds of behaviour?
  'configure --enable-debilitating-disease-saving' ;-)
I'll investigate if such an option would make sense.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].