Subject: Re: FVWM: Problems with fvwm2.1.2

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 09:12:11 -0500

Kaarthik Sivakumar <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >1. (This probably existed in earlier versions also!)  Contrary to the
> >   documentation, modules do NOT read the initial configuration file
> >   (.fvwm2rc), but rather they read the file that was last read.  So,
> >   for example, if I use the FvwmAnimate module, and it creates a file
> >   .FvwmAnimate in my home directory, and then start the FvwmTaskBar
> >   module, it looks in .FvwmAnimate for its configuration rather than
> >   .fvwm2rc - and therefore doesn't work properly!.  This is just an
> >   example;  it applies to any file read with the "Read" command, and to
> >   any module (so far as I could see).
> 
> I am running Fvwm 2.0.45 and I can see this happening in that too.

It appears that FvwmTaskBar is not reading its configuration correctly.
(It is in the "extras" directory after all.)

Originally fvwm modules got passed the name of the  config file as arg
3,  and they opened, read,  and parsed all the  commands in the config
file.   If your  .fvwm2rc  contains any read  commands,  the file read
becomes the  new arg 3  passed to modules.   This leads to the problem
you detected.

What  FvwmTaskBar   should  be doing  is   asking  fvwm2  to  send  it
configuration information through  the fvwm2-to-module pipes.  If  you
want to know when  this is fixed,  you will have  to subscribe  to the
workers list or wait for an announced beta.

The other modules  should not have   this problem.  Please  report any
that do.

The module man pages may  say that they  read the .fvwm2rc config file
because thats what they used to  do, or because the actual explanation
is complicated.  I'll take a look.

> Kaarthik
> -- 

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].