Subject: new MenuStyle syntax

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 22:23:48 +0100

I have a general question about the new MenuStyle syntax.
When I'm done reworking the code there will be some
substantial changes in the logic behind menus and some
other things (Move/Resize feedback window is one of them).
We won't get exactly the same behaviour as before. So there
are two possibilities:

1) Try to keep the old MenuStyle syntax (I mean the one
   before German's patches).

2) Throw away the old syntax and make the new one the
   standard.

Personally I vote for 2) since the new syntax is slightly
incompatible to the old one anyway (to the better, of course).

Comments?

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:16:38 +0100 (MET)

> incompatible to the old one anyway (to the better, of course).
	I also vote for 2), so people installing it by first time
don't start complaining about something wrong.
	And also I would like to know how you are implementing it, I
would like to help on it, because menu handling is the only thing of fvwm I 
understand (well, or so I think :-)

<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
   One O.S. to rule them all,          |  German Gomez Garcia
      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]
   One O.S. to bring them all          |
      and in the darkness bind them.   |  "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"
<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:26:58 -0500

> incompatible to the old one anyway (to the better, of course).

My understanding is that the "MenuStyle" command configures the
default menu, and retains its original syntax compatibility.

A new command "SetMenuStyle" is being changed to a new syntax
and doesn't need to retain its old syntax.

I'm not  sure   we need a  "GlobalOpts"   command  or a  "GlobalStyle"
command.  We  have lots of "Global" commands  that stand on their own.
For example, we don't have "GlobalOpts EdgeThickness 1".

Its my understanding, all the "GlobalOpts" commands will go away
when they are made part of the "Style" command.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:27:59 +0100

> and doesn't need to retain its old syntax.

The reason why I'd want to throw away the old MenuStyle command
is because it has a totally different kind of syntax. My approach
is to make the fvwm/win/mwm style some kind of 'macro' that
enforces a bunch of options you can configure anyway. There
is only one chance to consolidate the MenuStyle syntax issue
and that is before 2.2. Although it wouldn't cost me much time
to rewrite the old MenuStyle command to work with the new one
I still think it might be better to get rid of it. Any other
comments?

> when they are made part of the "Style" command.

Hmm, how would you implement these as a style:

SmartPlacementIsReallySmart
SmartPlacementIsNormal
CaptureHonorsStartsOnPage
CaptureIgnoresStartsOnPage
RecaptureHonorsStartsOnPage
RecaptureIgnoresStartsOnPage
ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage
ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage

There's stuff in GlobalOpts that can't be made a style.
We need a solution for these commands too. I just thought
GlobalStyle would be a good idea for assorted options
that can only be switched on or off (this saves a bit of code).
I can't put my finger on it, but I feel things like 'EmulateMWM'
should be handled more like a 'Style'. This is a different
quality than AddToMenu, ClickTime or DeskTopSize, isn't it?

Well, I see that this isn't very consistent with some
other commands. What do you (all) think?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 20:58:37 -0500

> I still think it might be better to get rid of it. Any other

I just checked my typical users  config files, and for  me its a small
managable perl or awk problem.  I'll let someone else answer.

> ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage

Not sure, but if they aren't style options, then
they would have more correctly been:

StartsOnPage Capture Ignore, Recapture Honor

or some other scheme without the word "Global" in there.
To me, "global" was meant to be the opposite of "Style per
window".

> that can only be switched on or off (this saves a bit of code).

Parsing args and commands should take about the same time,
and code...I wonder?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:19:59 +0100

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 03:16:38PM +0100, German Jose Gomez Garcia wrote:
> 	And also I would like to know how you are implementing it,

Fast and efficient ;-)

> I would like to help on it, because menu handling is the only
> thing of fvwm I understand (well, or so I think :-)

You're a bit late if you want to help implementing (it's nearly
ready), but there is a good deal of debugging to be done. Sorry,
I can't say much right now.

Bye

Dominik