Subject: Various meta-stuff

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Dec 1998 12:34:18 -0600

Is anyone here familiar with any of the following:

  LXR
  Bonsai
  Tinderbox
  MySQL
  Bugzilla

Jitterbug is in place and the web server's running.  I'm playing with
moving the mailing list archives over.  A test CVS server is just about set
up and the machine is into our normal backup rotation (which is what the OS
upgrade was about yesterday; dump doesn't work out of the box on Digital
Unix).

However, I want to continue to play with the available tools.  Jitterbug
works, but it's turning out to be somewhat limiting so I want to see if
BugZilla can handle things.  CVSweb is nice, but LXR is pretty neat as well
and there's no reason not to run both.  I don't know about Bonsai and
Tinderbox, but some of the larger projects seem to find good uses for them.

Is there anyone here with familiarity with these tools who might lend a
hand if I get stuck, or who might say a word as to their applicability for
our purposes?

Also, the question of a domain name has come up before.  'fvwm.org' is free
and it would be nice to grab it.  I don't believe I can host a domain here,
although I do have several DNS servers so perhaps I can.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:45:10 -0500

> Is anyone here familiar with any of the following:

Sorry, no.

> although I do have several DNS servers so perhaps I can.

If there is any cost to acquiring the name, I would be willing to chip
in.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 03 Dec 1998 15:32:26 -0500

%% Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:

  jlt> Is anyone here familiar with any of the following:

  jlt>   LXR
  jlt>   Bonsai
  jlt>   Tinderbox
  jlt>   MySQL
  jlt>   Bugzilla

I'm very familiar with MySQL; I wrote a change grouping package on top
of ClearCase that everyone over here is using.  It's in perl and uses
MySQL as the database repository for storing information about the
change groups, dependencies, etc.

I think MySQL is great, it's wicked fast, small, easy to use, has great
Perl (and C) database interface, has easy-to-use PHP and other
interfaces, etc.  And, while not strictly open source, it's very close
(basically it's OSS except you can't sell MySQL as part of another
product) and has a nice community.  The authors are very active on the
mailing list.

But, it's just a basic SQL database so I'm not quite seeing where it
fits in with the other tools you've specified here :)

  jlt> However, I want to continue to play with the available tools.
  jlt> Jitterbug works, but it's turning out to be somewhat limiting so
  jlt> I want to see if BugZilla can handle things.  CVSweb is nice, but
  jlt> LXR is pretty neat as well and there's no reason not to run both.
  jlt> I don't know about Bonsai and Tinderbox, but some of the larger
  jlt> projects seem to find good uses for them.

An auto-build is OK, but it seems to me that having automated tests for
a window manager will be tricky: how are you going set it up?  Have an X
server just hanging out, and keep running fvwm2 tests against it?  I
guess you could do it.

The fvwm build is pretty fast, so I'm not sure it's really necessary
yet.

  jlt> Also, the question of a domain name has come up before.
  jlt> 'fvwm.org' is free and it would be nice to grab it.  I don't
  jlt> believe I can host a domain here, although I do have several DNS
  jlt> servers so perhaps I can.

That would be really nice, if we could do it.  I'd chip in some $$ for
the registration, too.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Dec 1998 14:57:36 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> But, it's just a basic SQL database so I'm not quite seeing where it
PDS> fits in with the other tools you've specified here :)

It is used as the backend repository for at least Bugzilla and I think
another of those tools.

PDS> An auto-build is OK, but it seems to me that having automated tests
PDS> for a window manager will be tricky: how are you going set it up?

I guess you could only test if it compiled.  That's still useful, but not
stunningly so.

 - J<

---

From: Tak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 12:20:09 -0800

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>  I don't know about Bonsai and

I'd be willing to lend a hand with Bonsai/Tinderbox/Bugzilla if required.
I use Bonsai and Bugsplat (internal version of Bugzilla) on a daily basis for
my job.

-tak