Subject: FvwmForm pipe drainage problem

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 16:37:39 -0500

Sorry for the subject line, this is not about plumbing.

A while ago we had a problem with FvwmForm sending a bunch of commands
to fvwm2  and then exiting.  fvwm2  saw the module  exit before it had
read all the  commands, so it  closed the pipes and  never got all the
commands it was supposed to.

I believe I have a simple working solution.

I simply  changed the  button from a  "quit"  button  to a  "continue"
button, and  sent a "KillMe" command to  fvwm2 as the  last command on
the  button.  I don't  believe  the   "KillMe" command is   documented
anywhere,  but it seems   to  have been  designed expressly   for this
purpose.

So far, I don't see any  negative consequences, except that the "quit"
button doesn't work as advertised.  Perhaps I can make the quit button
send a "KillMe" without the user actually coding it as a command...

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Dec 1998 23:09:11 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> A while ago we had a problem with FvwmForm sending a bunch of commands
  de> to fvwm2  and then exiting.  fvwm2  saw the module  exit before it had
  de> read all the  commands, so it  closed the pipes and  never got all the
  de> commands it was supposed to.

This is bug #4.

  de> I simply  changed the  button from a  "quit"  button  to a  "continue"
  de> button, and  sent a "KillMe" command to  fvwm2 as the  last command on
  de> the  button.  I don't  believe  the   "KillMe" command is   documented
  de> anywhere,  but it seems   to  have been  designed expressly   for this
  de> purpose.

Hmm.  Well, if it's to be supported it needs to be documented so it
isn't conveniently "forgotten" at some point.

Also, while this may solve the problem I still consider it a workaround.
The pipe should not be closed while data is still in it.  Fixing this
may take a little thought but it's not that hard and it's The Right
Thing To Do.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 14:58:30 -0500

> may take a little thought but it's not that hard and it's The Right

I agree.  I just wanted to mention the simple workaround.

I see the only other place KillMe is used is in FvwmCommandS.c.

Perhaps when the real fix is in place there will be no reason to
document the command.

> -- 
>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen