Subject: Bugs in FVWM 2.1.4

From: "Haakon Riiser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 16:30:39 +0100

I recently upgraded from 2.0.46, and noticed a couple of new problems:

  When using the Up/Down arrow keys to select an item in the Fvwm menus,
  the X server is immediately killed.  No error messages, just a clean
  kill.

  Color gradients in the Fvwm menus do not work.  The menus are just
  displayed in regular solid background color.  (Background pixmaps work
  fine though.)

  The background pixmap in the FvwmButtonbar isn't always displayed in
  buttons that contain swallowed applications.  (asclock and asmail in
  my case.)  However, if I issue a Refresh command after starting X/Fvwm,
  all the buttons are shown with the correct background pixmap.

These problems were encountered on a PC running Linux 2.1.130, glibc
2.0.7pre6 and XFree86 3.3.2.  (Haven't tried it on other systems yet.)

-- 
 Haakon
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:40:56 +0100

> I recently upgraded from 2.0.46, and noticed a couple of new problems:

Please remember that 2.1.4 is a *beta* release. I know, that didn't
mean much in the past, but this time it is really a *beta test* release
that will be followed by a stable release soon.

>   displayed in regular solid background color.  (Background pixmaps work

As I said before, they work for me. I'll commit the syntax change
(see previous posting) to the CVS tree today.

>   all the buttons are shown with the correct background pixmap.

Fixed with my next commit session.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 20:14:42 +0100

>   the X server is immediately killed.  No error messages, just a clean

Already fixed in the develompent tree.

>   displayed in regular solid background color.  (Background pixmaps work

I can't verify this. How did you set your menu style? Not by any
chance like this:

  SetMenuStyle ... fvwm (menuface)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This does not work (see manpage). I understand that this is
rather unintuitive. I'll change that.

>   all the buttons are shown with the correct background pixmap.

Do you mean the background pixmap of FvwmButtons or does
asclock have one of its own? Please post you FvwmButtons
config lines from .fvwm2rc.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: "Haakon Riiser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:42:48 +0100

[Dominik Vogt]

>> displayed in regular solid background color.  (Background pixmaps
>> work fine though.)

> I can't verify this. How did you set your menu style? Not by any chance
> like this:

> SetMenuStyle ... fvwm (menuface)

I used

  SetMenuStyle ... next (menuface)

just as I was told to do in the manpage.

> Do you mean the background pixmap of FvwmButtons or does asclock have
> one of its own? Please post you FvwmButtons config lines from .fvwm2rc.

I mean the background pixmap of FvwmButtons.  Asclock/asmail have
transparent backgrounds.

The relevant config lines should be

  *FvwmButtonsPixmap <bg pixmap>
  *FvwmButtons(Swallow asclock 'Exec "asclock" asclock -24 -shape &')
  *FvwmButtons(Swallow asmail 'Exec "asmail" asmail &')

Lately, only the button containg asmail has had problems with displaying
the background pixmap.  Asmail also refuses to read it's rc-file
(~/.asmailrc) when started in the FvwmButtons and that could be a part
of the problem.  This is really strange, because it has no problems in
finding the rc-file when I execute asmail from an XTerm window.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:15:39 +0100

> just as I was told to do in the manpage.

Hmm. What kind of gradients did you use? I tried the diagonal
gradient example from the manpage and it works. What is the
config line you use?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:31:02 +0100

[Dominik Vogt]

> Hmm. What kind of gradients did you use? I tried the diagonal gradient
> example from the manpage and it works. What is the config line you use?

Among others, I tried

SetMenuStyle default <fgcolor> <bgcolor> <shade> <active> <font> \
  anim next (DGradient 128 2 lightgrey 50 blue 50 white)

-- 
 Haakon