Subject: [[email-masked]: Re: hotkeys in menus]

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:04:36 +0100

----- Forwarded message from Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:48:20 +0100
From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: hotkeys in menus
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Mutt 0.93i
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>; from [email-masked] on Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 02:53:46AM -0600

> Hi, just did a CVS update and build. Running an Xnest on :1 and hotkeys in
> menus appear to be a bit odd... I click on the root window to access my
> basic menu. Then I hotkey to a submenu and attempt to hotkey an item in
> the submenu. It appears that fvwm fails to update the menu context
> because rather than attempting to select the appropriate item in the
> submenu, it tries the hotkey in the root menu. If the hotkey does not
> exist in the parent (or root? -- don't have multiple-nested menus so I
> can't test the submenu of a submenu case) nothing happens. If the key
> exists in the parent, it attempts to execute on the incorrectly matched
> item in the parent menu. If it's an Exec-type menu item, it Exec's. But
> if it's a hotkey into a different submenu, it quickly paints the submenu,
> but then restores the submenu I'm currently in.
> 
> If I navigate to the submenu by the mouse and attempt to hotkey, it's the
> same behavior, except that for a match on the parent submenu, it goes 
> ahead and sends me to the wrong submenu.
> 
> In what I suspect is a related bug, if I navigate into a submenu, then key
> left-cursor, rather than putting me back in the root menu, the menu is
> unmapped. I guess PopUp menus aren't correctly becoming the context for
> keyboard actions, and the context remains in the parent.

That awfully sounds as if you were using old code. Are you absolutely sure
the compile didn't go wrong? I've fixed the second once, but never saw the
first one. I need all commands related to menus (i.e. at the very least I
need you MenuStyle command line).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:16:37 +0100

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 12:19:42AM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> Okay, I double-checked, and I really did a make and a make install and I
> really got a 2.1.5 binary running. CVS was from 24 hours ago. I just
> re-updated and this time I'm making clean. You're not having this problem?
> How strange. Well, I'm still having it for whatever reason.

No problem at all (although I do not run Xnest). I tried with various
menu styles and the hotkeys always worked well. You don't believe
it could be a problem of the X server? I've never tried Xnest. Any
hints how to get this running?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Dec 1998 13:41:09 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> How strange. Well, I'm still having it for whatever reason.

  dv> No problem at all (although I do not run Xnest). I tried with various
  dv> menu styles and the hotkeys always worked well. You don't believe
  dv> it could be a problem of the X server? I've never tried Xnest. Any
  dv> hints how to get this running?

I don't think we should spend too much time worrying about fvwm working
in Xnest.  On the other hand, I think it unlikely that this is really an
Xnest-only problem.  I seem to have missed some of the messages here,
but the next step seems obvious: try reproducing the problem in a "real"
X server, not Xnest.  Does it happen there?  If so, we can remove this
as a variable.

If you don't have Xnest, and you're not using XFree86, then getting it
is hard.  It comes with the X distribution from The Open Group or
ftp.x.org, but you'll have to build the entire thing, basically, to get
Xnest.

If you are using XFree86, then just go to your friendly neighborhood FTP
site and grab it: it'll be a separate file with the rest of the X server
files.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:47:12 +0100

> X server, not Xnest.  Does it happen there?  If so, we can remove this

We'll have to see. I will install Xnest at home and see if I have
the problem there.

> ...

Ah, I think that's a bit too complicated for me. I'll install
it from CD ;-)

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:57:09 -0800

Previously...
>X server, not Xnest.  Does it happen there?  If so, we can remove this

That's what I'd planned. And I felt more or less the same about Xnest,
so I chatted w/ Dominik privately to try to get a sense of how to
proceed. So tonight I may have non-functional menus... boohoo. If it
turns out to be some bizarre Xnest-related thing, I'll penitently
inform the list.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not fake seizures
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:25:26 -0800

Oh am I embarrassed. Turns out this was an Xnest-only problem... I
haven't any idea why that should be the case, but it seems to be.
After restarting fvwm to run from the new binaries that were running
in the Xnest server,  I cannot reproduce the problem in my "real"
server... So I guess Xnest and fvwm2 don't play nicely together.

It seems perfectly reasonable to file my bug report under "Who cares?"
_________
I will not carve gods

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 11 Dec 1998 14:44:13 -0500

%% Michael M Han <[email-masked]> writes:

  mmh> That's what I'd planned. And I felt more or less the same about Xnest,
  mmh> so I chatted w/ Dominik privately to try to get a sense of how to
  mmh> proceed. So tonight I may have non-functional menus... boohoo.

Just switch back if you still see the problem.  The modules, etc. are
installed in different places so all you need to do is make sure you
save a copy of the old fvwm2 executable.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:40:11 +0100

> server... So I guess Xnest and fvwm2 don't play nicely together.

I think it's still a fvwm2 problem (that probably most other
wm's have too). Have a look what I wrote into the BUGS file.
 
> It seems perfectly reasonable to file my bug report under "Who cares?"

I do.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:53:11 -0800

Previously...
>wm's have too). Have a look what I wrote into the BUGS file.

The last entry, regarding ICCCM? That seems separate from this
problem. I specifically setup my input events so that the two
instances of fvwm *wouldn't* compete for those events. I have
unmodified clicks on root open the main Programs menu, which, if
falling into the Xnest window, fvwm in the main, not-nested server
doesn't molest. But the nested fvwm catches those. Then I use menu
hotkeys to navigate my menu, which again the un-nested fvwm ignores.
But the nested fvwm has trouble figuring out the correct context for
those events in the menu (applies hotkeys to the parent/root menu,
rather than the current submenu). So this isn't that multiple
instances of identically-configured fvwm compete for keystrokes/mouse
events, but that fvwm in the Xnest server seems to handle menus
incorrectly... But that doesn't really bug me. I use Xnest to do
sanity checks on new fvwm builds, so it won't crap out my Xserver or
otherwise do bad things. I don't *expect* it to work on a day to day
basis, nor can I think of a reason to use Xnest that doesn't relate to
testing X software. I'll just make sure to try to reproduce bugs in an
un-nested X server before running off and whining at jitterbug...

Also, as for the ICCCM-thing, I kind of suspect that ICCCM (not that
I've read it) wasn't designed to take into account the Xnest case...
I'd say it's Xnest that's breaking ICCCM, not fvwm or mwm or what have
you. I mean, I can't really think of a way to "do the right thing"
given an Xnest case -- in fact, I'm having trouble thinking of what
"the right thing" would be with Xnest. What currently happens
(unnested wm eats the event before it passes into the nested X server)
seems reasonable. But then again, maybe I've come to expect strange
things ;)
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not call the principal "spud head"
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 02:28:40 +0100

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:53:11PM -0800, Michael M Han wrote:
> The last entry, regarding ICCCM?

Yes.

> I use Xnest to do

Have you tried running Xnest with -sync and -full? When I did this
I had only the problem with multiple assigned hotkeys/mouse bindings.

> "the right thing" would be with Xnest.

The right thing would probably be that the wm limits itself to drawing
decorations around the windows.

> What currently happens

If you ask me, these thing sound logical in ICCCM but effectively
prevent you from writing a user friendly window manager. Period.
Today I've read something in the X FAQ about ICCCM. Perhaps you
are aware of this 'Lenience' style thing that allows the wm to
give badly written clients the keyboard focus even if they don't
tell the wm that they want it (via keyboard input hint). This
seems to be an ICCCM rule. But the FAQ calls wm's that honour this
rule 'picky'. It seems that the people who have written this didn't
know what they want.

Bye

Dominik