Subject: clicks during recapture

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:51:12 +0100

I have a button that does a recapture on my FvwmButtons
bar. When I click on this button twice, sometimes the
second click hits the root window below (at the moment
when FvwmButtons is unmapped) and a menu pops up.

I think the right thing to do would be to ignore all
keystrokes and mouse clicks during a recapture operation.
Any ideas how this can be done?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:23:52 -0500

> Any ideas how this can be done?

Can't say I'm an expert, but Xsync, Xflush, and "XGrab?" come
to mind.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:49:56 +0100

> Can't say I'm an expert, but Xsync, Xflush, and "XGrab?" come

OK, I thought as much, but the problem is that I'm far less
of an X expert that you are. I tried to understand the logic
behind these commands and failed utterly. I really need some
Xlib documentation. More precisely my question should be:
What are the exact Xlib calls to do this (= I need either
someone who does this or someone capable to explain what
to do to a complete idiot ;-) )?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:22:59 -0500

> to do to a complete idiot ;-) )?

I really  like   the expression  "complete  idiot".    It sounds  like
something we should all try to attain, so here goes...

The XSync call at fvwm.c:643 with the last arg  set to 1 (True?) seems
like a good starting  point.   I have  absolutely no  experience  with
this, its a wild guess based on the man page.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:46:01 -0500 (EST)

> this, its a wild guess based on the man page.

I Think what we want to do is play around with the MyGrab/UngrabServer
calls in libs/Grab.c.  What happens is we grap the Xserver but that call
only queues events, until the ungrab.  But if we also call XGrabPointer
and XUnGrabPointer, we can through away all mouse events, and the buty of
it is on the UnGrab it creates leave and enter notify events. Which might
just solve out Focus on startup problem (so we can kill 2 stones with one
bird).  If anyone has Volume 1 of Xwindow you can take a look at Chapter
9.  Otherwise try a man on XGrabPointer.

Brad  

 -- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 Dec 1998 11:38:32 -0500

Not sure if this is relevant here, but recall that recapture can cause
fvwm to dump core.

If we do an XGrab*() then die, won't we be locking the server?

Just a random thought...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:45:03 +0100

> Not sure if this is relevant here, but recall that recapture can cause

How? I don't think that's in Jitterbug, right?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:47:38 -0500 (EST)

> If we do an XGrab*() then die, won't we be locking the server?
Fortunettly Xlib isn't that stupid. It does the Grab based on requesting
Client, and each Client has a connection the server, if that connection
dies all grabs are then released.  However if you happen to be in a
debugger when it dies, good luck typing continue, so it can finish dieing.

Brad

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:52:19 +0100

> How? I don't think that's in Jitterbug, right?

Ahem, er, I remember now, you mean *this* recapture coredump.
Forget it.

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:14:50 +0100

> 9.  Otherwise try a man on XGrabPointer.

Thanks for the help, I could make that change and even learned quite
a bit 'bout X. And there's more good news: recapturing is now *much*
faster! I think this is finally the right solution to prevent the
superflous events during a recapture that were circumvented by this weird
'-blackout' option 8-) Is this theory correct? If it is I will update
the FAQ and mention that as of fvwm-2.1.6 using -blackout will be moot.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:34:36 -0500 (EST)

> the FAQ and mention that as of fvwm-2.1.6 using -blackout will be moot.

Good work, I took a look at your changes, and your right you are starrting
to figure out those Xlib routines.  A tip for you and anyone else who
might care a great place to start learning Xlib is O'Reillies X books Vol
1 and 2 -- 2 is the refrence 1 is the manual with examples. I find them
both invaluable when writing Xlib code.  And if our goal is still to write
good bloat free code an understanding of the X routines is essential.

Brad