Subject: Re: FVWM: A problem with EdgeResistance, EdgeScroll (fvwn 2.1.45)

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:13:22 -0500

Time to move this thread to fvwm-workers...

Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:
> Dan Espen wrote:
> > 
> > Perhaps some X Servers aren't happy with 1 pixel wide windows.

Seems like we just got confirmation on this.
Thanks Mark.

> > As I remember, the change from 2 to 1 was for FvwmTaskbar?
> 
> Yes it was to get the TaskBars AutoHide to work.  It's more important to
> get page scrolling to work than keeping AutoHide working, so don't worry
> about breaking it.
> 
> I'm not sure FvwmTaskBar has a long term future, it's only unique
> features seems to be the window title tips and the ability to not show
> transients.  Everthing else can be mangled with FvwmButtons,
> FvwmIconMan, xclock, xbiff and FvwmEvent (for autohiding). FvwmIconMan
> could do with some work eventually and I'd like to put tips into it
> then.

I'm not getting the connection between FvwmEvent and autohiding.
How would FvwmEvent hide FvwmTaskBar?

I'd like to keep autohiding working.  Would it make sense for
FvwmtaskBar to hide at a size of PAN_FRAME_THICKNESS+1 (3 pixels)?

If people don't like it 3 pixels high, maybe we might find a patch
to make it transparent.

> Cheers,
> Tim.
> --

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 01:26:18 +0100

> Seems like we just got confirmation on this.

Well, if that's the bug, would you please back this
auto-hide fix out, Dan?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:40:21 -0500

> Well, if that's the bug, would you please back this

Jui-Hsuan Feng's approach seems like a likely candidate.
Rather than just change the pan frames back and break
autohide, I'll check it out.  Tim, you've been in this one
before, perhaps you want it?

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:07:13 +0000

> How would FvwmEvent hide FvwmTaskBar?

-----
*FvwmEvent focus_change FocusEvent

FvwmEvent

AddToFunc FocusEvent "I" Current [FvwmTaskBar] AnimatedMove +0 -0 Warp
+ "I" Current [!FvwmTaskBar] HideTaskBar

AddToFunc HideTaskBar "I" BounceAnim
+ "I" Next [FvwmTaskBar CirculateHit] AnimatedMove +0p +1021p NoWarp
+ "I" DefAnim

AddToFunc BounceAnim "I" SetAnimation 20 .01 .03 .08 .18 .3 .45 .6 \
.8 .99 .8 .7 .65 .66 .65 .75 .85 .90 .94 .97 .99 1.0

AddToFunc DefAnim "I" SetAnimation 20 -.01 0 .01 .03 .08 .18 .3 .45 \
.6 .75 .85 .90 .94 .97 .99 1.0
-----

Make me laugh anyway.

> If people don't like it 3 pixels high, maybe we might find a patch
It would be nice if there was a way to stop the panframes eating events,
the above functions don't work all that well with panframes.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:55:27 -0500

> AddToFunc BounceAnim "I" SetAnimation 20 .01 .03 .08 .18 .3 .45 .6 \

OK, now  I see a  connection, but I thought we  were on  the thread of
making FvwmTaskBar unhide  when it was covered   by the pan frame?   I
don't think  there  would be any   focus event in FvwmTaskBar  in this
case.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:09:42 +0000

> don't think  there  would be any   focus event in FvwmTaskBar  in this

You're right, the FvwmEvent method of AutoHiding also has trouble with
the pan frames but I think fixing the FvwmEvent method would be more
useful than just fixing FvwmTaskBar.  It may be easier to fix too
because the focus change event is triggered from the focus change
module-message from fvwm and since fvwm knows when the mouse has entered
a pan frame and it knows the size, visibility and stacking order of all
the windows it may be able to send a fake focus change message.  Or it
may be possible to do a real focus change by calculation which would fix
the problem of mouse clicks in the pan frame going to the root.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:20:43 -0500

> the problem of mouse clicks in the pan frame going to the root.

FvwmTaskBar sees the same events  that FvwmEvent does, assuming it has
set its message mask for the events it wants.

I have been thinking along the same lines  about panframe events being
passed around for other modules  to work with.   I believe modules can
see enter notify events in the pan frames,  they just don't know which
window the pan frame is.

I  suppose a module  could compare  its  own location  to each windows
location, and know that when  a window  is  entered that obscures  the
task bar,  it is time to raise  the task bar.  It  might make sense to
only do that for   windows that have  the  unique geometry of the  pan
frames.