Subject: Re: Pager breakage - move.c rewrite suspected

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 01:25:24 -0500 (EST)

Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Bob Woodside wrote:
> >         Is anybody currently working on this stuff?
> Ooh err! I patched move.c to fix a problem with move invoked from a
> menu.  In the past the move assumed that the pointer was on the menu
> item that started the move.  This caused the window to jump at the start
> of the move if the pointer was not on the menu item.  I can't find
> anything wrong with moving from window decorations but I can reproduce
> problems with moving from the pager.  I'll look into this...

	This is getting weird! I tried re-commenting out the XQueryPointer
that you'd uncommented in move.c, and that corrected both the cursor-
leading-the-move quirk and the move-out-of-pager problems. I think this
is better left as it was, unless there's a way you can uniquely identify
the call to InteractiveMove as being triggered from a decoration-bound
menu.

	I didn't quite understand what you were trying to fix, so I decided
to try doing various moves, and discovered that something else has gone
astray. Move invoked from a menu bound to a titlebar button simply doesn't
work anymore (with or without the XQueryPointer)! You can interactively move
the window around, but when you drop it, it snaps back to its original
position. 

	Can we, um, get a dialogue going among all the folks tinkering with
move.c? 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:43:09 +0100

> the window around, but when you drop it, it snaps back to its original

How did you invoke the move (key or button). I wrote some code that should
allow you to undo a move with the mouse (just like pressing <ESC>). It
should be like this: If you drag the window holding down a button,
pressing an releasing a different button terminates the move. This
should only happen if you are dragging with a button pressed. Can you
verify if the behaviour you see matches with what I describe?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].