Subject: Re: CVS 'up' again

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Nov 1998 13:02:19 -0600

>>>>> "SR" == Steve Robbins <[email-masked]> writes:

SR> I copied that message to "tibbs".

Sorry; I got it but I was only skimming my mail at that point (been out of
town all weekend) so I didn't see the mention of the upload down in the
message.

I've moved the file.  Ummm, wow, it's 50% bigger than 2.0.26.

SR> Hmm... maybe I should send it to "fvwm-owner" (as directed in the ftp
SR> site's README) instead?  Okay, this is copied to that address.

It got here, too, only the message was shorter so I recognized the intent
sooner.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 15:09:51 -0500

> I've moved the file.  Ummm, wow, it's 50% bigger than 2.0.26.

I don't have the actual file, but I can approximate.

Looks like the growth is mainly the textures directory and
sample.fvwmrc/BradyMontz/roots.

I have mixed feelings about that stuff being in the package.
At this time we are not really using it, and there are other ways of
acquiring it.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:53:06 +0100

> At this time we are not really using it, and there are other ways of

Yup. We should put that in a separarate 'distribution'.
The gzipped package is nearly too big to fit on a
floppy already.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 02 Nov 1998 16:31:10 -0500

%% Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:

  jlt> I've moved the file.  Ummm, wow, it's 50% bigger than 2.0.26.

Yeah, I noticed that too: the dist is getting to be of decidedly
un-fvwm-like size.

A lot of that is the modules in extras; they're almost as big as the
normal modules.  The other biggy is the textures directory.  Here's the
top sized items from the top-level directory (using du; numbers are in
K):

 1960    modules
 1776    extras
 1056    textures
 864     fvwm
 804     icons
 772     sample.fvwmrc
 140     libs
 136     configure
 112     docs
 68      utils
 48      FAQ
 40      ChangeLog
 36      xpmroot
 12      aclocal.m4
 12      TO-DO
 12      Makefile.in
 12      INSTALL.fvwm

Everything else is under 10K.

I think we should give serious consideration to moving the icons and the
textures, and more advanced stuff in sampe.fvwmrc, into a separate
distribution.  Not only are they large, but they're not installed
anywhere and they don't have much to do with Fvwm itself.  I don't
really see the need for them to be under CVS control, or marked with a
certain version of Fvwm.  Perhaps some of the basic icons could be kept
if there are modules, etc. that depend on them.

Hopefully the themes stuff will take off, then people can go get
complete themes separately from fvwm itself and all that will be
obsolete.

We can also consider moving the extras modules into a separate dist, but
that might be harder to do.  We might take a harder look at the stuff in
extras and decide what of it is _really_ up to the level of being
included in the dist, even in the extras directory.

I think, also, that the existing modules might be re-examined, and with
respect to the extras versions.  For example, it seems like there are
about 5 modules for dynamically interacting with fvwm; yes, it's cool
that we can do it but do we really need all these ways?  I'd prefer to
see one module, or at most two (an interactive one and a script one).

We also have FvwmSave and FvwmSaveDesk, and a large number of
button-bar/icon manager/window list things, etc.

I think it would be nice to combine FvwmCpp and FvwmM4 into a generic
"preprocessor module".  Or does this even need to be a module; maybe
it'd be simpler and smaller to create some kind of parameterized
"include" feature in the fvwm config language that allows you to specify
an (optional) preprocessor command and reads its output.  Dunno.

FvwmAudio seems to be obsolescent; we should either remove it or
relegate it to the extras area, I think.

Probably more stuff.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:29:57 -0500

> At this time we are not really using it, and there are other ways of

The latest distribution:

-rw-rw-r--  dane  1003926 Nov 20 10:13 fvwm-2.1.2.tar.gz
                  ^^^^^^^

We are comfortably within the 1.4 meg sweet spot.

Still  going thru old  mail.   Got as far   as  the proposal that  all
modules have their own ChangeLog.  Guess I wasn't dreaming after all.