Subject: CVS help

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 11:29:53 -0500

I'm sorry to be dense, but I figure I better ask before I get into a deeper
hole.

I'm trying to add a NEWS file.

I get this:

fork> cvs add -m"New news file" NEWS
cvs server: cannot add file on non-branch tag version-2_1_0

What should I be doing to add files to version-2_1_0?

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Nov 1998 11:45:53 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> I'm trying to add a NEWS file.

Note Steve already did :)

  fork> cvs add -m"New news file" NEWS
  de> cvs server: cannot add file on non-branch tag version-2_1_0

  de> What should I be doing to add files to version-2_1_0?

You can't.  Note that version-2_1_0 is a label that applies to a
specific set of files and specific versions of those files.  That's the
point of labeling them, to be able to get a reproducable set :)

You should remove the sticky tag; it's keeping you from seeing any new
code that's checked into the tree.

Do this:

  $ cvs -q -z3 update -dPA

The -q and -z3 are optional (quiet and compress, respectively).  The -d
and -P options handle new/obsolete directories.  And the -A removes any
sticky items (tags, dates, etc.) and lets you get the latest and
greatest stuff.

You can see if you're using sticky things with cvs status:

  $ cvs status configure

or whatever.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:56:37 +0100

Hey Paul,

as you seem to know quite a bit about CVS, why don't you
take archives/cvs-howto.txt and fill in a few of the sections
that would really ease the pains for us CVS-newcomers.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 14:24:27 -0500

> that would really ease the pains for us CVS-newcomers.

I would prefer, that we create docs/cvs.html!

I have just put the following changes on the main branch:

TO-DO is renamed TODO.

NEWS has additional information from our old "news.html" file
in text format at the end of the file.

The docs directory has what I am proposing as our new WEB documenation
in it.

You should be able to check it out thru your browser by pointing it
at "file:/fvwm_location/docs/".

The "NEWS", "TODO", and "FAQ" files won't be there unless you run
the txt2html.ksh file to create them.

I went thru all of the web stuff.  The module documentation got the most
re-work.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:32:54 +0100

> I would prefer, that we create docs/cvs.html!

Whatever you want, but I would like to be able to actually
read the cvs file even if I have no web browser. Anyway,
the discussion is moot as long as nobody writes anything
into the file.

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 14:24:11 -0500

> the discussion is moot as long as nobody writes anything

I have started work on a cvs.html.

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:23:39 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Dan Espen wrote:

: [email-masked] writes:
: > On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 02:24:27PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
: > > I would prefer, that we create docs/cvs.html!
: > 
: > Whatever you want, but I would like to be able to actually
: > read the cvs file even if I have no web browser. Anyway,
: > the discussion is moot as long as nobody writes anything
: > into the file.
: 
: I have started work on a cvs.html.

Thank you! traffic has been going by so fast I have not been able to keep
track of what is the finally agreed on method to do what.

Randall

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 16:37:08 -0500

> track of what is the finally agreed on method to do what.

Even though I am not done, and I have not linked "cvs.html" to
any other page yet, I have checked in "cvs.html".

I have to admit by cvs knowledge is sketchy so I'm sure I won't be
the only contributor to this page.  Feel free to get in there
and make changes.  I won't mind having to merge any additional
changes I come up with.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Nov 1998 18:51:45 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> Even though I am not done, and I have not linked "cvs.html" to any
DE> other page yet, I have checked in "cvs.html".

Should I be putting these pages up in place of the FVWM pages that exist
now?  I can probably even make a cron job to do it.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:21:24 -0500

> DE> other page yet, I have checked in "cvs.html".
  ^^
Does your mail client do that for you?  If so, what is it?
> now?  I can probably even make a cron job to do it.

I don't want to unilaterally control the Fvwm web pages.  I would like
to wait a day or 2 for comments.  If there are no objections then, I'd
like to put the web pages in place.

The web pages  to some extent  reflect  the current  release.  I'm not
sure  a cron job is the  right way to go,  unless  we were to put some
kind  of trigger  file in the   source tree  to make   the actual copy
happen.

Do you have a copy of man2html or will you  need one of us to generate
up-to-date man/html pages?  (Note that for the  time being, we need to
leave the old man pages in place.)

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Nov 1998 23:45:52 -0500

de> Does your mail client do that for you?  If so, what is it?

Supercite, which is an Emacs package that can be combined with any of
the Emacs main handlers (the default RMAIL, or VM, or Gnus which handles
both mail and news).

FYI :)

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Nov 1998 23:09:06 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> The web pages to some extent reflect the current release.  I'm not sure
DE> a cron job is the right way to go, unless we were to put some kind of
DE> trigger file in the source tree to make the actual copy happen.

Fair enough.  A trigger is possible, but requires a certain incestuous
relationship between the CVS user and the web user.

DE> Do you have a copy of man2html

I don't, but if someone tells me where I should get such a thing then I
will...

I won't touch the pages for now (though I could stick something useful in the news
section); I'll take the issue back up when we get to a release that we
think is as stable as 2.0.46 that we can recommend that folks upgrade to.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 09:25:01 -0500

> I don't, but if someone tells me where I should get such a thing then I

I just downloaded from http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/man2html.html
but I haven't unpacked or tried it yet.

We only need this working when we put the 2.1.0 man pages
in place.  Until then, the current pages are fine.

> think is as stable as 2.0.46 that we can recommend that folks upgrade to.

Well, it has been 2 days since I posted the new docs, and there doesn't seem
to be any objection.  I suggest we put the new docs in place.

These are 2.0.46 docs, with just a little information about whats
going on now.

I just linked up the "docs" page to the CVS page.

Make your updates to the NEWS file, then cd to where you want
the web pages, and run:

$fvwmsrc/docs/txt2html.sh $fvwmsrc/NEWS
$fvwmsrc/docs/txt2html.sh $fvwmsrc/TODO
$fvwmsrc/docs/txt2html.sh $fvwmsrc/FAQ

cp $fvwmsrc/docs/*.html .
cp $fvwmsrc/docs/*.jpg .
cp $fvwmsrc/docs/*.gif .