Subject: Jitterbug

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Nov 1998 11:43:26 -0600

I've wrestled with it enough to get it working.  It still hasn't been
customized, but it seems to work well enough.  I'm trying to get the
background to look nice, so it may be ugly for a bit.

The URL is http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/cgi-bin/fvwm-bug.  Maintainers can use
http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/cgi-bin/fvwm-bug.private; your CVS password will
get you in.  I have also installed the web pages from the distribution at
http://fvwm.math.uh.edu.

Note that if you don't have a browser supporting HTTP/1.1, you'll need to
use http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/fvwm; it's a name-based virtual host.

Some comments on the pages (I should put these in Jitterbug...)

FvwmBanner didn't get built at all on my machine; I'm not quite sure why.
So there's no page for it.

run_man2html.sh generates pages named like FvwmAudio.html, but the index
wants them named like FvwmAudio-man.html.

There are no longer pages for FvwmTile and FvwmCascade.

FvwmCpp elicits the following from my nroff:

<standard input>:40: warning: numeric expression expected (got `o')
<standard input>:44: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:47: warning: numeric expression expected (got `f')

FvwmM4 is mostly the same:

<standard input>:50: warning: numeric expression expected (got `o')
<standard input>:54: warning: numeric expression expected (got `c')
<standard input>:57: warning: numeric expression expected (got `c')
<standard input>:60: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:63: warning: numeric expression expected (got `f')

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:28:47 +0100

> background to look nice, so it may be ugly for a bit.

Good work, but don't put too much in this. It would be far more important
to have input/query masks that match our need.

Thanks

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Nov 1998 12:47:32 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Good work, but don't put too much in this. It would be far more
DV> important to have input/query masks that match our need.

Huh?  Are you talking about the report form, or are you talking about
something else.  If there's something you want, you're going to have to be
specific.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:54:04 -0500

> So there's no page for it.

Don't know why.  Try to "cd" to that directory and do a build there.

> wants them named like FvwmAudio-man.html.

Someday  soon, I hope to put  something together to generate the index
itself.  In the mean time, I've commited a fix for the -man problem.

> There are no longer pages for FvwmTile and FvwmCascade.

The new index only has FvwmRearrange.

> <standard input>:47: warning: numeric expression expected (got `f')

I can't reproduce this.  (Solaris 2.6).

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Nov 1998 13:57:42 -0500

Cool!

I guess we need to think about a bug tracking process so we can decide
what categories of bugs we need.  I see you have an "incoming" (and a
"test") category; sounds good.

So, the idea is all bugs start out in "incoming".  I assume we'd need a
"fixed" or "closed" category once the bug is fixed.  We probably want
some kind of "not going to be fixed" category, for things people may
complain about but that we think are features.

What about between those endpoints?  What's the process?  I think it
would be good to have a state that means "someone looked at it and it
seems like a real bug".  That could either be a "holding" state or
combined with others below.

Do we want to categorize things based on "bug" vs. "enhancement"?  Do we
want to have separate queues for doc bugs vs. code bugs?  For modules
vs. extras vs. core fvwm?

When someone decides to work on a bug, does that require a state change?
Should we have an "in progress" state for bugs someone is actively
looking at?

One thing I run into a lot professionally is duplicate bugs: does
Jitterbug handle that?  Do you just delete one?  Do we have a special
"duplicated" queue you assign it to, with a note specifying the original
bug number?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Nov 1998 13:17:27 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> Don't know why.  Try to "cd" to that directory and do a build there.

No Xpm headers, it seems.  Once they're installed and things are
reconfigured, it builds fine.

>> <standard input>:47: warning: numeric expression expected (got `f')

DE> I can't reproduce this.  (Solaris 2.6).

I'm on Linux, which has a picky 'man'.  I don't pretend to understand
enough roff to say what the problem is.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Nov 1998 14:51:34 -0500

jlt> I'm on Linux, which has a picky 'man'.  I don't pretend to
  jlt> understand enough roff to say what the problem is.

I'm using groff, too, which is what I'm sure Linux uses, and I don't see
it.  Odd.

Anyway, the problem surely is this:

  .IP -Cppopt \fIoption\fP

This is incorrect.  The .IP macro specifies an indented paragraph; the
second option is supposed to be indentation level but here it's
"\fIoption\fP".  You should probably change these to:

  .TP
  -Cppopt \fIoption\fP

instead (.TP is the same as .IP, except that the tag for the indented
paragraph comes on the next line with .TP instead of the same line as
with .IP).

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Nov 1998 14:10:53 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Cool! I guess we need to think about a bug tracking process so we can
PDS> decide what categories of bugs we need.

If you need one, just make one.  You can do that as a maintainer.

PDS> What about between those endpoints?  What's the process?  I think it
PDS> would be good to have a state that means "someone looked at it and it
PDS> seems like a real bug".

'confirmed'.

PDS> Do we want to categorize things based on "bug" vs. "enhancement"?

'enhancements'

PDS> Do we want to have separate queues for doc bugs vs. code bugs?

Probably.

PDS> For modules vs. extras vs. core fvwm?

That I don't know.  Probably depends on volume.

PDS> One thing I run into a lot professionally is duplicate bugs: does
PDS> Jitterbug handle that?

Jitterbug is very lightweight.  I think the next step up is Bugzilla if we
decide Jitterbug is not adequate.  One mistake that often occurs when
something like this comes online is to try to impose too much structure on
it; it is often much better to let folks use it a bit and then codify what
works best.  Otherwise you can sit there all day and blow time figuring
out how you're going to use the system that you could be spending using the
system.

We didn't wring our hands much over CVS when it was set up; why should this
be any different?

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 23 Nov 1998 17:23:43 -0500

jlt> If you need one, just make one.  You can do that as a maintainer.

Ooh.  The power!

  jlt> We didn't wring our hands much over CVS when it was set up; why
  jlt> should this be any different?

Well, we did have a bit of hand-wringing over the details of branching
and labeling, as I recall, but I take your point.

We'll just wait and see what people think when we get our first dup bug :)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:41:29 +0100

> something else.  If there's something you want, you're going to have to be

Didn't you notice many pages contain comments that they're
onloy thought as examples and that you should edit the html
pages to get what you want? At the very least all these
somments should be removed (makes the pages easier to read).
I had only 10 minutes, so if I've overlooked something please
correct me. I missed a field in the report form (at least in
the form for maintainers) to assign a bug to a person.

How do I get a list of bugs assigned to me/nobody/someone else?

What is the email policy. This has to be set up somehow.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:03:10 +0100

I have created a few standard categories for our bugs:

assigned
fixed
in progress
no fix
postponed
unreproducible

(plus the two that were there before: incoming, confirmed)

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:08:02 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 1998 at 12:47:32PM -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
> If there's something you want, you're going to have to be specific.

Another one: although I'm logged in and entered my name, address, ...
in my profile, when I report a bug I have to enter all that information
again. The mask should be preinitialised with the information from
the user database.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:33:51 +0100

I cannot change the subject after I sent a bug report. I reused
the mask for the previous bug and forgot to change the subject,
so I'm stuck with 2 different bugs with the same subject.

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Nov 1998 08:52:29 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> I have created a few standard categories for our bugs:

  dv> assigned
  dv> fixed
  dv> in progress
  dv> no fix
  dv> postponed
  dv> unreproducible

  dv> (plus the two that were there before: incoming, confirmed)

Can you describe each one so we understand exactly when a bug should be
assigned to one vs. another?

"No fix", "fixed", "unreproducible", and "incoming" seem
straightforward, but what exactly is the difference between "confirmed",
"assigned", "in progress", and "postponed"?  It seems like there's some
overlap there.  I'd prefer a very simple bug lifecycle; maybe 3 states:
"waiting to be fixed", "being worked on", and various disposition states
like "no fix", "fixed", etc.  Or, possibly 4 states if you leave
"incoming" as distinct from the "waiting to be fixed" state.

Remember the assignments aren't one-way.  You can move a bug to "being
worked on", then decide you can't/don't want to fix it, and move it back
again.

  dv> I missed a field in the report form (at least in the form for
  dv> maintainers) to assign a bug to a person.

There isn't one.  If you want to track this way you'd have to create a
category for each person, and assign bugs to that.

Personally, I don't think that's necessary at the moment.  As Jason
suggested, maybe we should wait and see how it goes.

  dv> How do I get a list of bugs assigned to me/nobody/someone else?

As above, you can't because that categorization doesn't exist.

Jitterbug is very simple.  It doesn't directly support a lot of things
more featureful bug trackers do, like age of a bug (except by looking in
the bug for the create date), properties (severity, priority, etc.),
owner, etc.

But that's not _necessarily_ a bad thing, unless we decide that stuff is
very important.

  dv> What is the email policy. This has to be set up somehow.

What is what email policy?

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Nov 1998 09:03:17 -0500

One odd thing I noticed was that the numbers next to the "previous" and
"next" links in the category view screens seem to be relatively random.

Go to incoming, and notice that the bottom says "next(1)"--but there are
about 14 more bugs!  Then use that link, and you get 10 more; you'll see
the linke "previous(0)" and "next(2)" !

Etc.  Either I don't know what those numbers are supposed to mean, or
they're wrong :)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:11:24 +0100

> "incoming" as distinct from the "waiting to be fixed" state.

I don't know how often you'd look into the bug list, but I will
do so quite often and it will help immensly if I don't have to
read and read again the titles of bug reports that do not concern
me and somebody else has already committed to fix. BTW, the four
states you mention are exactly what I call:

incoming    = incoming
confirmed   = confirmed
assigned    = waiting to be fixed (with owner)
in progress = being worked on

and the various disposition states:

fixed
no fix
postponed

So we're talking about the same thing.

Here's how I would do the state transitions

incoming -> confirmed
         -> unreproducible

confirmed -> assigned (to a person, see below, a detailed analysis
                       may go here, may have to be replaced by
                       one folder per person)
          -> no fix
          -> postponed (no fix anytime soon)

assigned -> in progress (bug is actively worked on)
         -> fixed

postponed -> any other state again

unreproducible -> no fix
               -> unreproducible (forever)
             
> worked on", then decide you can't/don't want to fix it, and move it back

Perfectly clear.

> category for each person, and assign bugs to that.

Ugh, not very nice. We'll have to find a way to keep track of this.

> But that's not _necessarily_ a bad thing, unless we decide that stuff is

Well I don't even have the time to worry about all these things.
I don't mind as long it works.
 
> What is what email policy?

When are you - as reporter of a bug, the person who works on it, etc. -
sent and email that a bug has been reported/changed/solved...
Or isn't that possible?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:13:19 +0100

> Etc.  Either I don't know what those numbers are supposed to mean, or

I think they're just the page number to which you will go (beginning
with 0).

BTW, you can change the no. of messages on each page in your
preferences

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Nov 1998 09:32:14 -0500

dv> I think they're just the page number to which you will go (beginning
  dv> with 0).

Ah!  I assumed they were the number of bugs before/after this page of
bugs.

That makes sense.

  dv> BTW, you can change the no. of messages on each page in your
  dv> preferences

Yep, saw that.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Nov 1998 10:23:24 -0500

dv> I don't know how often you'd look into the bug list, but I will
  dv> do so quite often and it will help immensly if I don't have to
  dv> read and read again the titles of bug reports that do not concern
  dv> me and somebody else has already committed to fix.

Sure, but that just means you wouldn't look in the "being worked on"
queue.

  dv> BTW, the four states you mention are exactly what I call:

  dv> incoming    = incoming
  dv> confirmed   = confirmed
  dv> assigned    = waiting to be fixed (with owner)
  dv> in progress = being worked on

  dv> and the various disposition states:

  dv> fixed
  dv> no fix
  dv> postponed

  dv> So we're talking about the same thing.

Almost; it looks like you have 5 states.  My suggestion seems to combine
the "confirmed" and "assigned" states into one generic "waiting to be
fixed".  Since we don't really have owners the difference isn't clear
(to me).

  >> category for each person, and assign bugs to that.

  dv> Ugh, not very nice. We'll have to find a way to keep track of this.

Could be as simple as adding a note to the bug, or adding yourself to
the Notification list when you decide to work on a bug.

Or, we could certainly create named queues.  I really don't care.  Only
people who have CVS write access have Jitterbug maintainer access, as
things stand; I'm not sure those two groups mesh exactly but probably
they're close enough.

  dv> When are you - as reporter of a bug, the person who works on it, etc. -
  dv> sent and email that a bug has been reported/changed/solved...
  dv> Or isn't that possible?

Sure.  Add your name to the notification list on the message view page.
Names should be comma-separated; you can have as many as you like.  I'm
not sure if the author of a bug is always notified automatically or not;
it's kinda hard to test since the person making the change is never
notified of changes they made (so you have to work with someone else to
test it).  Actually, I'm going to add a note to one of your bugs, so let
me know if you get a notification :)

Also, you can subscribe for a directory (category), and be notified when
any message in the directory changes.  For this, add yourself to the
Notification box on the directory screen.

The manual is terse, but useful in as far as it goes:

  ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/jitterbug/JitterBug.txt

See the section on FAQ replies, too :)

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Nov 1998 09:34:04 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Didn't you notice many pages contain comments that they're onloy
DV> thought as examples and that you should edit the html pages to get what
DV> you want?

Umm, yeah, that's why I said I was only to the point of having it installed
and that I hadn't customized it.  I figured that since there's some amount
of 'style' involved that someone would suggest a design.

DV> I missed a field in the report form (at least in the form for
DV> maintainers) to assign a bug to a person.

You don't assign bugs to people.  If you want that, make a directory per
person and put the bug in their directory.

DV> How do I get a list of bugs assigned to me/nobody/someone else?

See above.

DV> What is the email policy.

What do you mean by this?  Folks send mail to [email-masked].
What kind of policy do you want to impose?

 - J<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Nov 1998 09:38:55 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> The mask should be preinitialised with the information from the user
DV> database.

I think that if you want the Jitterbug maintainers to add features to their
software, you'll need to ask them.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:39:15 +0100

> Sure, but that just means you wouldn't look in the "being worked on"

But I'll have to look there for my own bugs.

> fixed".  Since we don't really have owners the difference isn't clear

Er, what is the fifth state? In my eyes the difference between confirmed
and assigned (or whatever this becomes) is that a confirmed bug if
verified, but there is no plan how to fix it at the moment. Anyone
could volunteer to fix it as long it is confirmed whereas as soon
as it is assigned you shouldn't worry about it anymore. That still
does not mean something is done with it. But come to think of it,
as we all may be able to fix only infrequently, it does not make
much sense to have bugs lying aroung with an owner. Take Steve for
example. Two weeks ago he was doing large amounts of work, a few
days later he tells us he won't be able to help until January.
That's just the way it works on the list.

Anyway, let's trash the assigned directory at first and try
without it.

> me know if you get a notification :)

Er, you misunderstood what I wanted (that's ok, I didn't tell you).
It's that I *don't* want to get emails for each and every action on
all bugs my name appears im. Last week for example I had already
about 200 emails and can't cope with more (actually I still have to
do some 'real' work). I hopen I can activate emails selectively
(perhaps bug-based or only certain messages).

> Notification box on the directory screen.

Thanks and bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:42:22 +0100

> software, you'll need to ask them.

That can't be done? Then why do I enter all that information
to log in?

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 24 Nov 1998 11:14:59 -0500

dv> But I'll have to look there for my own bugs.

True.  Well, make yourself a queue :).  We can certainly leave it up to
individuals to decide whether they want their own queue or not.

It would be nice if we could somehow differentiate the "main" queues
from the rest.

  dv> BTW, the four states you mention are exactly what I call:
  dv> incoming    = incoming
  dv> and the various disposition states:
  dv> fixed
  dv> no fix
  dv> postponed

  >> Almost; it looks like you have 5 states.

  dv> Er, what is the fifth state?

incoming - confirmed - assigned - in progress - fixed/no-fix/etc.

5.

incoming - waiting to be fixed - being fixed - fixed/no-fix/etc.

4.

:)  Really, I don't give two figs.

  dv> When are you - as reporter of a bug, the person who works on it,
  dv> etc. - sent and email that a bug has been
  dv> reported/changed/solved...  Or isn't that possible?

  >> Sure.  Add your name to the notification list on the message view

  dv> It's that I *don't* want to get emails for each and every action on
  dv> all bugs my name appears im.

Oh.  Well, did you get a notification for the change I made to one of
your bugs?

If not, then problem solved :)!  It appears that only if you explicitly
add your name will you get a notification.

If so, then bummer :(.  That change seems like it would have to go to
the Jitterbug folks (unless there's a config option that controls
this?)

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:19:01 +0100

> Oh.  Well, did you get a notification for the change I made to one of

Of course not. I haven't set it up yet ;-)

> add your name will you get a notification.

The point was that I'd like to have better configurability than
on/off.

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:53:51 +0100

A small enhancement request:

on the page where a list of bugs is displayed the list of available
folders is displayed left of the buglist. Would it be possible to
have it *above* the table? This way the table could be wider and
display more text on fewer lines. And perhaps the button in the
last column (where you can select a new folder for the message)
could be smaller too (with my browser it's the widest column of
the three).

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:59:13 +0100

> get you in.  I have also installed the web pages from the distribution at

The html page for FvwmRearrange is buggy: The AUTHORS
section has no heading. The manpage is definitely ok.

Dominik

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Nov 1998 09:19:14 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> A small enhancement request: on the page where a list of bugs is
DV> displayed the list of available folders is displayed left of the
DV> buglist. Would it be possible to have it *above* the table?

You'll have to download the source code and make it so, or ask the
Jitterbug authors.

I can back out the hacks I applied and put it back on the bottom, but they
came along with other enhancements.  I'm not going to go playing
mix-and-match.

It's starting to sound like we're worse off with a bug tracker than we were
without one.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:25:33 +0100

> You'll have to download the source code and make it so, or ask the

Hmm, after reading thos comments on the original pages I thought
the users of Jitterbug were expected to write the html pages more
or less themselves. Or did I misinterpret this completely?
Please, can you explain what Jitterbug is exactly? Which are the
parts that can be configured?

> It's starting to sound like we're worse off with a bug tracker than we were

No, I think it does more or less what we need (only little
overhad for administrative actions).

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 25 Nov 1998 10:52:12 -0500

dv> on the page where a list of bugs is displayed the list of available
  dv> folders is displayed left of the buglist. Would it be possible to
  dv> have it *above* the table? This way the table could be wider and
  dv> display more text on fewer lines.

Just for another point of view, I like 'em where they are :)

I just made my browser window a little wider...

  dv> And perhaps the button in the last column (where you can select a
  dv> new folder for the message) could be smaller too (with my browser
  dv> it's the widest column of the three).

That column (for me, in Netscape) is exactly as wide as necessary to
contain the button, and the button is as wide as the longest title in
the popup list (which, in this case, is "documentation bug").  I don't
know that there's any way, in HTML, to reduce these sizes except by
reducing the length of the bug category names.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:01:50 +0100

> I just made my browser window a little wider...

My browser is already nearly stretched to its limits. I just have a
small screen (only 17") and a terrible default setup (i.e. I can't
change the font size, it's prcompiled :( ). And still I can't see
much.
 
> reducing the length of the bug category names.

Perhaps we cound force a smaller font upon this column?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:17:39 -0500

> change the font size, it's prcompiled :( ). And still I can't see

Somethings wrong.  You should  be able to find "preferences",  perhaps
under "edit", pick  "appearance", then "fonts", then choose  different
sizes.  (Netscape 4.5).

> Perhaps we cound force a smaller font upon this column?

Please don't.  I find any time I go to a page that sets a smaller font
size, I can't read it.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Nov 1998 10:19:17 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Please, can you explain what Jitterbug is exactly? Which are the parts
DV> that can be configured?

Well, it's a bug tracking system.  You can customize the top of each page,
the bottom of each page, the introductory text, and the submission form.
Everything else is generated by the program.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:44:30 +0100

On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 11:17:39AM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> Somethings wrong.

Yes, I know.

> You should  be able to find "preferences",  perhaps

I know where the panels for these settings are, but they are
completely ignored. The folks in the HP lab that provide
us with the browser have found a way to hard-code some settings
into it that you cannot change (I had something similar solved
before by upgrading to a new version, but font size is completely
ignored in Xdefaults, the preferences and sometimes even in the
documents (I like to override the fonts myself)).

If anyone knows where to get a netscape 4.x binary that runs
on an PA-RISC 712 workstation with HP-UX 10.20, please tell me.

> Please don't.  I find any time I go to a page that sets a smaller font

*Sigh*

Html/web-interfaces seem to cause more problems than they solve.
I'm beginnig to hate this browser stuff.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:29:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Dominik Vogt wrote:

: On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 11:17:39AM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
: > Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
: 
: I know where the panels for these settings are, but they are
: completely ignored. The folks in the HP lab that provide
: us with the browser have found a way to hard-code some settings
: into it that you cannot change (I had something similar solved
: before by upgrading to a new version, but font size is completely
: ignored in Xdefaults, the preferences and sometimes even in the
: documents (I like to override the fonts myself)).
: 

How about "xset +fp /path/to/big/font/directory".

Then kill and restart netscape. 

Otherwise call HP lab's and ask them what they think they are trying to do,
and to please stop doing it wrong!

Randall

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:32:42 +0100

> and to please stop doing it wrong!

I don't think they'd listen to one of their colleagues ;-)
Anyway, I now have a non-HP version of netscape that works.

Bye

Dominik