Subject: FvwmIconMan and PRINT_DEBUG

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:14:06 -0500 (EST)

I just compiled the latest snapshot of FvwmIconMan and in debug.h
PRINT_DEBUG is defined (I'm not sure that it was before).  But, with this
defined you can't get the executable to actually start, there are two many
places where null strings are being passed in to the print functions with
no checks.  This should be easy enough to fix all the debug functions are
in debug.c we could just check if any of the args are null then issue a
warning about them.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Nov 1998 19:44:16 -0500

%% Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> writes:

  bg> I just compiled the latest snapshot of FvwmIconMan and in debug.h
  bg> PRINT_DEBUG is defined (I'm not sure that it was before).  But,
  bg> with this defined you can't get the executable to actually start,
  bg> there are two many places where null strings are being passed in
  bg> to the print functions with no checks.

Oof.  Note this actually works on some systems (like SunOS); they just
print (NULL) or something :).

  bg> This should be easy enough to fix all the debug functions are in
  bg> debug.c we could just check if any of the args are null then issue
  bg> a warning about them.

You can't do that without re-writing a good chunk of *printf().  The
only way you know what the types of the parameters to the function are
or how many there are is by the %-options in the format string.  You'd
have to parse that string to make this check.

We'll either have to leave PRINT_DEBUG off permanently, or fix the code.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].