Subject: Re: Latest revisioning plan (hopefully final)

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:35:55 +0000

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> - Other changes go into the alpha branch (like the myriad
>   of smaller patches or Germans patches). New beta versions
>   are packaged, announced and put on the web.

Is there a list of planned patches?

I'd like to see Germans patch and the SnapAttraction patch go in.

I've got the following if anyone is interested:
1) keypad_resize.patch to allow the keypad numbers to be used in
resizing, also changes the default movement to be one resize increment
if the window has it set.

2) animnull.patch to speed up animated moves that don't actually go
anywhere. Honest, I have them (as part of a taskbar hiding thing that
slides the taskbar out of the way on every focus change).

3) animovpat.patch to make a new command AnimatedMoveNoWarp which does
an animated move without the cursor following.

4) menumove.patch which fixes a bug in moves invoked from a menu

These are all patched to 2.0.47d (RIP) but I can rework them if
necessary.  I don't have a CVS that can do ftp so I'll have to get betas
from the ftp site and email the patches to the mailing list or the
pumpking.

Cheers,
Tim.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 10:44:33 -0500

> from the ftp site and email the patches to the mailing list or the

Tim,

  Perhaps someone will volunteer  to apply these patches.  I  actually
had them saved and was hoping to  get to them.  Is  there some way you
could get a CVS  that does ftp working?  Everyone  that has CVS update
access is on their own mission, (I know I am).

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:53:53 +0100

> I'd like to see Germans patch and the SnapAttraction patch go in.

I don't plan to hold back any patches. The only problem is
that we can not do everything at once.

> necessary.

I may have put some of these in the menu_postition code already.
I can do that again (this was easy).

> I don't have a CVS that can do ftp so I'll have to get betas
> from the ftp site

He? You cannot do ftp so you will have to use ftp?? What is
the problem with your CVS?

> and email the patches to the mailing list or the
>>>> pumpking.

Don't get any ideas ;-). I think Dan said he would look through
the mail archive and compile a list of patches (Is that right,
Dan?).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:59:21 +0100

> the problem with your CVS?

Ahem, that was rubbish ;-) But anyway, what is the problem with
your CVS?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 10:59:10 -0500

> the mail archive and compile a list of patches (Is that right,

As our crossing  mails showed, that's right.   But I haven't committed
to a time frame...yet.

I still have a bunch of other things queued up.

I'm  not sure I   made it  clear, I  only  had  SOME  of  the  patches
mentioned.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 16:10:53 +0000

> access is on their own mission, (I know I am).

I really don't want to mess with the CVS we have here, we use it for
real work(TM) and I don't want to risk breaking the stuff I get paid to
do.

I'm not desperate to get my stuff in the "Official Stable Spangly
FVWM2.2" but if anyone wants the patches just ask.

Cheers,
Tim.

PS I'm thinking of changing Focus to move the windowlist around so that
the WindowList menu always starts with the current window.  I think by
doing this we can at last provide a parallel to the windows Alt-TAB
behaviour by using 
WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk NoGeometry prev_[cond]_flipfocus

At the moment the above works when changing focus with the mouse but
when Using Prev or Next the windowlist stays the same.  I'm not talking
about rearranging the order just altering the origin that WindowList
starts from.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:11:36 +0100

> As our crossing  mails showed, that's right.   But I haven't committed

There is no reason to hurry. It is more important that
no patches are lost. How about putting them in the
archive directory (with sensible names)?

> I'm  not sure I   made it  clear, I  only  had  SOME  of  the  patches

What patches do you mean? I am collecting patches from both
lists too.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:15:21 +0100

> about rearranging the order just altering the origin that WindowList

Can you rephrase that my limited intellect can understand what
you want to do (max. 5 words per sentence, colorful examples,
lots of pictures etc.)? 8-)

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:36:02 -0500

> archive directory (with sensible names)?

Jason mentioned that he was going to install Jitterbug.
I think that might be a better place for them.

> What patches do you mean? I am collecting patches from both

Just some of the ones Tim mentioned.

Since I somehow got unsubscribed from the fvwm list for a while,
I'm sure I missed a lot of patches.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:16:47 +0000

> lots of pictures etc.)? 8-)

OK but no pictures.

Windows A B C D.

Prev [A] FlipFocus.
Windowlist gives A at top.

Move mouse to C.
Windowlist has C at top.
A is 2 on list.

Prev [D] FlipFocus.
WindowList has D at top.
C is 2 on list.
A is 3 on list.

Prev [A] Focus.               <----- I'd change this to give:
WindowList has D at top.             WindowList has A at top.
C is 2 on list.                      D is 2 on list.
A is 3 on list.                      C is 3 on list.

End of short sentence bit.

I think this will involve getting the focus command to move the
windowlist start pointer to the focused window as well as moving the
screen->focus pointer.  I think it is only the Focus command that can
leave the WindowList with the currently focussed window not at position
1.  Mouse focus and clicktofocus just move the window to the top of the
list as does FlipFocus.  I need to be careful that Next and Prev will
still cycle around the windows and maybe the code that adds new windows
to the list may have to be changed to put them at the end of the list if
they don't get the focus when they are mapped.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 03 Nov 1998 12:24:52 -0500

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> I really don't want to mess with the CVS we have here, we use it
  tp> for real work(TM) and I don't want to risk breaking the stuff I
  tp> get paid to do.

Not trying to convince you to do this, really, but just a note to say
you can always get CVS 1.10 and install it somewhere else, or install it
using the --program-prefix or --program-suffix options so it's "gcvs" or
whatever, and you can have both available: one for "normal" work and one
for accessing remote CVS archives.  Within the last 6-8 months I've
noticed a _huge_ increase in the number of packages allowing anon-CVS
access.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Nov 1998 12:42:17 -0600

>>>>> "DE" == Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

DE> Jason mentioned that he was going to install Jitterbug. I think that
DE> might be a better place for them.

I will install Jitterbug.  It's yet another of the things waiting on me
getting another machine running.  This should happen soon.

Two security incidents today.  ENOFREETIME.  Sigh...

 - J<