Subject: 2.1.2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:14:28 +0100

Now that most problems are solved, could you make a 2.1.2
distribution and upload it, Steve? I still haven't managed
to create a distribution from the sources. At the moment
my problem is that I cannot find automake 1.3b on the web.
The GNU mirror sites only have a package called 1.3. Or is
that the one I need?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:32:48 -0500 (EST)

ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/tromey/
will get you 1.3b of automake

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:22:57 -0500 (EST)

> The GNU mirror sites only have a package called 1.3. Or is

Um, 1.3 would probably work, but you might as well get 1.3b, from:

	ftp.cygnus.com:/pub/tromey

Please go ahead and make the distribution.  I can't get to it until
Sunday.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

Don't know what I want, but I know how to get it.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:46:04 +0100

> Please go ahead and make the distribution.  I can't get to it until

No, when I have automake installed it explicitly throws an
error that 1.3b is needed (??)

Bye

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:49:40 +0100

> > Please go ahead and make the distribution.  I can't get to it until

Then someone else has to do it or it must wait until then.
I'm out of the office for the rest of the week this evening.
(Perhaps a couple of hours tomorrow :-) )

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:00:56 -0500

> (Perhaps a couple of hours tomorrow :-) )

Well, I'm  not completely automake'd yet  either,  but I'm missing the
reason we want a distribution.

No one has cleaned out the BradyMontz directories yet.  I think we
had no argument on that, if no one else wants to do it, I will.

If I don't hear otherwise in 3 hours, I'll proceed.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 12 Nov 1998 09:33:29 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> No one has cleaned out the BradyMontz directories yet.  I think we
  de> had no argument on that, if no one else wants to do it, I will.

Steve mentioned something about not trying to delete files in CVS, so
until we understand that better (he has more experience in this matter
than I do, for sure) we should probably not try this.

What you _can_ do, fairly easily I think, is change the dist creation
code so it doesn't put those directories into the dist.  That's what
Steve did with the textures directory.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 1998 09:56:59 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Steve mentioned something about not trying to delete files in CVS, so
PDS> until we understand that better (he has more experience in this matter
PDS> than I do, for sure) we should probably not try this.

It's no problem to delete a file from CVS.  It gets moved into the attic
and it can be resurrected later (by checking out an older version of that
file, then cvs adding it, then committing).  You might want to tag the file
with something like 'before_delete' so you know exactly what to check out
if you want it back.

For more info, see http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_7.html.

Everyone using CVS should remember to do cvs update -dP to pick up new
directories and get rid of ones that are deleted from the repository.

 - J<

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:07:35 +0100

> reason we want a distribution.

I just want not too much stuff between the distributions.
Most memory leaks have been fixed and the parsing changes seem
to be mostly stable now. Remember there are people outside
that are downloading our betas and are already reporting bugs
that have been already fixed.

> If I don't hear otherwise in 3 hours, I'll proceed.

Go ahead.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:13:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

> than I do, for sure) we should probably not try this.

Well, what I actually said was "please don't delete FvwmCascade and
FvwmTile *yet*".  There's no problem with deleting stuff per se.  I just
didn't want to delete it right THEN in case I got email two hours later
saying "why did you do that???".

Mostly, I didn't want someone to RENAME the directories, because RENAMING
causes massive headaches with CVS.  In short: you can't rename.  You have
to "cvs remove oldname" then "cvs add newname".  The problem is that you
loose the link between the "newname" and the "oldname", so you can't
properly track changes.

Since a couple of days have passed, it's fine by me to delete them.  I'll
do it myself when I get a moment.

Same for fvwmperl and fvwmpython.
 
> Steve did with the textures directory.

Yup... and the four modules mentioned above: cascade, tile, perl, and
python.

(The sample.fvwmrc/BradyMontz directory has been out of the distribution
from just about the beginning)

Well, you tried it just once, and found it alright for kicks,
Now you found out that it's a habit that sticks,
And you're an orgasm addict.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:23:25 -0500

> from just about the beginning)

I notice when I break autoconf, you quietly fix the config files.
Its true, I haven't finished reading about autoconf, or installing it,
but this time, I at least attempted to make sure I didn't break it
when I removed the directories.

I wouldn't mind if you pointed out my mistakes.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Nov 1998 09:47:28 -0600

>>>>> "SR" == Steve Robbins <[email-masked]> writes:

SR> Mostly, I didn't want someone to RENAME the directories, because
SR> RENAMING causes massive headaches with CVS.  In short: you can't
SR> rename.  You have to "cvs remove oldname" then "cvs add newname".  The
SR> problem is that you loose the link between the "newname" and the
SR> "oldname", so you can't properly track changes.

Well, that depends.  There are multiple ways to rename; one of which you
folks can do and several that I can do manually.

The cvs delete;cvs add pair works fine for some things; if you check out an
old version of the repository you get the old file.  You lose the history
on the new file (because to CVS it is a new file) so it helps to commit
with a message that says what it was renamed from.

I can just rename the history file, which retroactively changes the name
for all past versions.

I can copy the history file and nuke the old tags from it, which keeps the
old history with the new file but has its own problems.

An explanation of these is all at
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_7.html.

 - J<

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:13:43 -0500 (EST)

> I notice when I break autoconf, you quietly fix the config files.

Yeah, I've been meaning to write a paragraph for DEVELOPERS, but haven't
gotten around to it yet.

> I wouldn't mind if you pointed out my mistakes.

All that I can recall is that you add files to, say, docs, and don't
update the makefiles.  It's just a matter of adding the filename to
Makefile.am, and then do a rebuild.  The makefiles have rules in them to
rebuild Makefile.in and Makefile, if necessary.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Nov 1998 13:35:34 -0500

%% Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:

  jlt> Everyone using CVS should remember to do cvs update -dP to pick up new
  jlt> directories and get rid of ones that are deleted from the repository.

Along those lines, note you can create a ~/.cvsrc file containing
default options for all commands.  Mine looks like:

  $ cat ~/.cvsrc
  update -dP
  diff -uBb