Subject: Re: Background icon rendering.

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:05:20 -0500

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 09:39:05AM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> > Sounds like   SnapAttraction for Icons.    The underlying snap grid
> > concept could be applied to   both classic SnapAttraction and  that
> > for Icons.  (I actually played  with the underlying grid thing when
> > I did SnapAttraction, but wasnt  satisfied with the initial results
> > due mainly  to my  personal  usage  patterns.  Therefore, I   didnt
> > really test it and  therefore didnt submit the  patch.  If there is
> > interest I can submit the patch.)
> 
> Why not. Go ahead.

Is  this snapping icons  to each  other, or the  icongrid?  No  answer
required, I'll check the patch too.

I wasn't clear about  the first part of  German's proposal either, but
my guess is he is referring to "clipping" the icon to a specific size.
Any attempt to forcing things into  the grid should probably be paired
with clipping.

The current  logic  has a grid,  but  without clipping, you  still get
uneven gaps between the icons.

My guess is that just the clipping would be  sufficient, why would you
start moving icons around, if you had them all  lined up neatly in the
first place?

Most of the  window  manager screenshots  I  see with neatly  lined up
icons, are not  using shaped icons.  I   don't believe I've  ever seen
neatly lined up shaped icons.

> Dominik
> -- 
--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:31:51 -0800

> required, I'll check the patch too.
Yes :).

You could snap either to other windows (or soon Icons too), the grid, or both.
Icon functionality is not in the patch.  Currently, it just does windows, but
obviously I need to do Icons now too.

> start moving icons around, if you had them all  lined up neatly in the

Choosing Clipping or overlapping behavior could be an option, with clipping as 
the likely default.