Subject: GSFR: To macro or not to macro?

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Nov 1998 13:54:09 -0500

I think we need to split this thread into two parts.

The first question Dan raised is: should we stay with simple:

  win->Sticky = 1;

or should we attempt some form of abstraction with something like:

  SetStick(win);

As far as I can tell, the real argument here is whether there are any
benefits in abstraction and maintainability to the latter and, if so, do
they outweigh the potential for abuse that macros may allow (as a
corollary, how great is that potential in this brave new development
environment?)

Thoughts?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:15:25 -0500

> or should we attempt some form of abstraction with something like:

Hey, I'm pretty sure I said nothing of the sort, I want to stay out of
this one.

> corollary, how great is that potential in this brave new development

OK, you are finally going to get an opinion.  Let the person doing the
coding decide.  (I know, its a crumby opinion, thats why I didnt' want
to  reveal what  I thought.)  Oh,  here's  another opinion, macros are
uppercase only, so its: SETSTICK(win);

> -- 
>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 16 Nov 1998 15:18:42 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> Hey, I'm pretty sure I said nothing of the sort, I want to stay
  de> out of this one.

Apologies; I thought it was Dan who'd raised these issues but I guess
not.  Looking at the archive I see it was Bob W.

So, replace "Dan" with "Bob".  Other comments stand! :)

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:51:38 -0500 (EST)

On 16 Nov 1998, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> The first question raised is: should we stay with simple:
> 
>   win->Sticky = 1;
> 

Recognizing the potential for abuse, I _still_ vote for abstraction.

Put a note in the header file stating "these macros may not be changed".
Detail the reasons why.