Subject: 2.1.3 and beta test

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:57:18 +0100

Hi fellow-maintainers,

it has been rather quiet in the last few days and I suspect this
has something to do with Thanksgiving ;-) Hope you enjoyed your
fvwm-free days. At first I planned the 2.1.3 release and the
beginning of the beta test for today, but since nobody is there
to make the release it has to wait until next week.

Although the code is stable enough there are a few things to be
done before the beta is announced:

 - Compile a list of known problems in 2.1.3 so we don't hear
   the same bug reports over and over again. (I will do this)

 - How will we handle the beta test? Will we just tell the world
   the beta is there and everyone is invited to test it or
   will we keep a list of tasks to do and register people
   who are willing to test parts of this list (I prefer this)?

 - Write an announcement that sounds good. I don't want to do
   it myself becaus mei english isnt' well enuff. In other
   words: I need a *volunteer*.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:49:05 +0000

>    who are willing to test parts of this list (I prefer this)?

I would opt for telling the world where to get it.  Enough people have
reported the location of 2.1.1 to the fvwm mailing list that trying to
limit 2.1.3 availability may result in everyone grabbing old code and
reporting bugs.  I feel that with the purify effort fvwm2.1.3 is more
stable than 2.0.46. Apart from this an announcement to gnu.announce is a
lot easier than recruiting and registering people.
>    words: I need a *volunteer*.

Don't put yourself down, your English is better than what mine is.  If
in doubt put the text in a file in CVS and we can all proof read it.

Here's a stab

The Funky Virtual Window Manager Group is pleased to announce the beta
test version of Fvwm2.2. Available at <URL for home page> it includes
the following features:

*) Lots of bug fixes to improve stability
*) Proper Windows95 style Alt-Tab behaviour (OK I'm biased about this)
*) Animated Iconification
*) Mini Icons
*) ... that I can't remember since this is really the first release
since 1.x

<URL to the news file & Changelog>

Regards,
Frederick Vacant

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:54:15 +0100

> lot easier than recruiting and registering people.

No, that's a misunderstanding. I don't want to limit availability
of 2.1.3, just coordinate the people willing to test. Otherwise
we might end up with 1000 people testing the main executable but
nobody touching the more exotic moudles and options.

> ...

Thanks, we'll see if I can put something together at home.

Bye

Dominik