Subject: RAISED/VISIBLE flags

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:38:39 +0100

While testing the direction patch I noticed that neither
the (Visible) nor the (Raised) conditions (for Circulate
etc.) do what I would expect.

Visible selects only windows that are fully visible (that's
what I'd expect for Raised). The right thing seems to be
to select partially obscured windows too.

Raised on the other hand does nothing the user could
comprehend. It seems to be used internally to get the
stacking behaviour of 'StaysOnTop' windows right. I
suggest after the GSFR this should be changed:

  Visible = all windows that ar at least partially visible
  Raised  = all windows that are fully visible

At the moment another flags would have to be introduced :(
To mee it looks as if someone patched these flags to get
OnTop right but forgot the Circulate conditions.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:55:15 -0800

Previously...
>OnTop right but forgot the Circulate conditions.

Well, maybe the Visible flag should be made transparent to the X
states, VisibilityUnobscured, VisibilityPartiallyObscured, and
VisibilityFullyObscured. That way you get to choose what kind of
visibility you're talking about.

Or perhaps VISIBLE could be false for CompletelyObscured and true for
PartiallyObscured or Unobscured? Then add a different flag for ISONTOP
or somesuch?

I was also digging around with the KeepOnTop() behavior, investigating
the long-standing bug which causes transients of StaysOnTop windows to
fall beneath their parents... Anyway, the RAISED flag seems to be
pretty critical for making sure StaysOnTop works properly, so taking
its flag back might not be a good idea...
_________
mike ([email-masked])
The principal's toupee is not a frisbee
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:57:43 +0100

> PartiallyObscured or Unobscured? Then add a different flag for ISONTOP

That's the logical approach.

> its flag back might not be a good idea...

I think the RAISED flag once did the correct thing, but then was
patched to get KeepOnTop working. The bug you mention isn't easily
fixed. The problem is that you can not tell a StaysOnTop window to
raise above all non-StaysOnTop windows but not above other
StayOnTop's.

Bye

Dominik