Subject: Re: Growing windows (PR#28)

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:37:21 -0600 (CST)

When this happens to me, the window dances a bit while it resizes 3 or 4
times,
then ends up quite a few pixels larger than the program requested size.
    With this app, when I close the problem window, the app doesn't relly
destroy it,
it just unmaps it; when I open the window again, it does the same dance,
and ends up
several more pixels larger than it was the last time (the program-requested
size stays
the same). If I close the app altogether, then restart it, the window
starts over at
its original (oversized) size, then continues growing each time I open it
again.
    It almost looks like FVWM is arguing with the app over aspect ratio
constraints,
but wininfo shows that the window doesn't have these hints set.
    Is there anyone who's familiar with the current state of the
ConstrainSize code
and the like, and if so, could you enlighten us a bit here?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Nov 1998 13:34:58 -0500

%% Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

  bw>     It almost looks like FVWM is arguing with the app over aspect
  bw> ratio constraints, but wininfo shows that the window doesn't have
  bw> these hints set.

Maybe that's the problem?  The window cares, but doesn't set the proper
hints?

PS. I know nothing about this, so I'm completely guessing here :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:47:56 +0100

> Maybe that's the problem?  The window cares, but doesn't set the proper

Tim had an idea about the creeping WinList earlier today and
that rang a bell: Perhaps both, the growing windows and the
creeping WinList are caused by HandleWidth vs BorderWidth.
If both values are different and some code fails to
distinguish between them this could exactly explain both
bugs.

Sorry, can't hack that into Jitterbug right now, so if
someone else could do that for me?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Nov 1998 15:46:03 -0500

OK, I updated Jitterbug with this info.

I used the "Reply" feature, since that's what Bob used before.

In the past, I've added "Notes" instead.

Does anyone know what the difference is (besides the fact that the reply
is sent via email) and when one would be preferred over the other?

Maybe notes would be more appropriate for this kind of thing, where
we're just adding info to the bug report, and a "reply" would be some
kind of official response to the bug?  Fixed, or not going to be fixed
becase... or whatever?