Subject: Accessing CVS-server

From: Teemu Hirsimaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:07:17 +0200 (EET)

Hi!

I have been trying to the get the sources from the cvs-server, but my
dialup-connection provided by the university is unfortunately a little
bit limited so that I can not connect directly outside the university
(only http allowed outside).  Of course I can connect anywhere from
machines of the university, but I would like to access the cvs-server
from my home machine.

I already tried to use ssh to forward the port 2401 of one university
machine to cvs.hpc.uh.edu:2401 and then use that machine as
cvs-server, but it did not seem to work.  Is :pserver: the only
allowed method?  Any ideas how I could access the server?

-- 
Teemu Hirsimäki
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 1998 12:04:39 -0600

>>>>> "TH" == Teemu Hirsimaki <[email-masked]> writes:

TH> I already tried to use ssh to forward the port 2401 of one university
TH> machine to cvs.hpc.uh.edu:2401 and then use that machine as cvs-server,
TH> but it did not seem to work.

I just tried and was able to do this.  My home machine is A, the campus
machine is B and the CVS server is C.  This seems to work:

[tibbs@A ~]$ ssh -R 2401:C:2401 B

Then I can talk CVS protocol to port 2401 on B and it gets forwarded to C.
I don't have the restrictions you do, though, so I don't know if there is
something else in your config that could be stopping this from working.

TH> Is :pserver: the only allowed method?

What other access methods are there?  RSH?  Direct NFS export?  Not bloody
likely.

You could do a checkout to your University account and then use rsync to
get it home, if you have the space.  That would be the most efficient
two-step process.  Or you could wait a couple of days until I get anonymous
rsync running on the new machine and try again to forward that.

 - J<

---

From: Teemu Hirsimaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:43:36 +0200 (EET)

> something else in your config that could be stopping this from working.

Hmm... it seems that this solution does not work in my case, because
the server opens other ports too.  When I make checkout from campus
machine, suspend the process and run netstat there are the following
two connections:

tcp        0      0  jaspis.auth            Sina.HPC.UH.EDU.63468  TIME_WAIT
tcp    33580      0  jaspis.2156            Sina.HPC.UH.EDU.writes ESTABLISHED

So this connection does not get through when I run the checkout on my
home machine. :(

> two-step process.  

Yep.  I must try this.

> Or you could wait a couple of days until I get anonymous rsync
> running on the new machine and try again to forward that.

Hmm... sounds good.  Could you mail me, when this is possible?  And
thanks for your advice so far.

---

From: "Todd T. Fries" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 02:46:10 -0600

> What other access methods are there?  RSH?  Direct NFS export?  Not bloody

afs read-only of the repository?  With the advent of arla, the free afs
client, anyone with the ip of and access to any afs cell server can access
any afs cell they know about.

Heh.  Just a thought.
-- 
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]