Subject: Re[2]: StartsOnPage doesn't work with Netscape, etc.

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:42:01 -0500 (EST)

Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > GlobalOpts  StartsOnPageModifiesUSPosition
> > 
> [FVWM][GlobalOpts]: <<ERROR>> Unknown Global Option 'StartsOnPageModifiesUSPosition'

	Exactly what should happen. You can throw away that command now.
Thanks for trying it.

> The problem is still there ....

	Now that's *not* what should happen. Since we haven't been able to
reproduce it, could you send me a copy of your entire .fvwm2rc, so I can
try it out? There's got to be some unusual combination of options that
are stumbling over each other.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 23:42:49 -0500 (EST)

Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...could you send me a copy of your entire .fvwm2rc, so I can
> try it out? 
		[ ...and he did. ]

	Thanks, I've found it. There's a bit of conflict among the
following options: StartsOnPage, SkipMapping, and ActivePlacement.

	To make StartsOnPage work with this combination, you have to
add the line

GlobalOpts ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage

to your .fvwm2rc. Or, alternatively, you could add RandomPlacement
to the styles for Netscape and Pine (or whatever you want to use
SkipMapping and StartsOnPage with).

	Now, what happens with ActivePlacementHonorsStartsOnPage
is that, when you interactively place a window with the rubber band,
then click to set the placement, the window will not appear, but
will be placed on the desk/page you specified. This was the way
StartsOnDesk always used to work, but it seemed that this would be
confusing to inexperienced users, who would be left wondering "Hey,
where'd my window go?" That's why I decided to have the default
behavior be for ActivePlacement to override the SkipMapping/StartsOnPage
combination, but to allow this override to be overridden.

- Bob

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 05:58:44 +0100 (MET)

Great ! it works (I mean, also for me :-) ) Should this be mentioned
somewhere ? Maybe in the FAQ ? Or in the man pages ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 07:54:22 +0100 (MET)

> Thanks a lot for your help,
Oopps ... I've seen the description of ActivePlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage
in the man pages ... sorry for bothering you ...

cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:13:24 +0100

> in the man pages ... sorry for bothering you ...

No need to apologise. One stumped user is one too many.

Bob, what do you think what we should do about that? At least there
should be something in the FAQ. Personally I'd rather return to the
old behaviour that might 'confuse the inexperienced user'. After all
do not believe inexperienced users would tinker with StartsOnPage.
And strange behaviour occuring only with a cryptig set of options
takes a long time to debug and creates plenty frustration.

What do you think?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:10:14 -0500 (EST)

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> old behaviour that might 'confuse the inexperienced user'.

	I had come to the same conclusion myself, and was just going
to solicit opinions from the group.

	I'll change the default later today.

- Bob