Subject: Re: [[email-masked]: problems: in SnapAttraction, in StartsOnPage and in ???]

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:44:27 -0500 (EST)

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----
> The third problem is more tricky, I think, because it's difficut to
> reproduce and to describe: it just happens from time to time. When I
> "refresh" a window, or just create it, sometimes it comes out with the
> wrong size: the actual size is 10/20 pixels bigger, in both dimensions,
> than the size I've requested.
> If I insist in "refreshing"/creating this kind of windows, they became
> bigger and bigger each time. If I resize one of them by hand, the problem
> disappers, but not forever: it's just there, waiting to appear again ...
> As I said, it's very difficult to describe: for "refresh", I mean for
> example what Netscape does when you navigate from one site to another
> (maybe "redrawing" is a better term ? I'm not an expert of X11 events...).
> But it happens also when I create an xload window with a (definite) size.
> It seems to me that some informations becomes corrupted, and my resizing
> by hand just corrects them temporarly.
> 
> I've just "cvs-updated" my fvwm with the latest fixes: the problem is
> still there. Unfortunately I have no ways of reproducing it (apart from,
> maybe, makind a lot of "Restart") ... I wanted just to tell someone that
> it is there, since I've not seen something like this on the fvwm-workers
> list.

	When this happens, do you also notice the window flashing, as though
it's being resized 2 or 3 times while it's being drawn? I had observed this
recently, but it seemed to have stopped, so I assumed that someone had fixed
it.

	According to some obscure natural law, as soon as I started to reply
to this message, the problem recurred.

	I've only observed this with Motif apps that are setting a remembered
window size (from the last time that a particular window was displayed). The
window dances around a bit, as though it were being resized while it's being
drawn, then ends up several pixels larger than the last time in both the x and
y directions. Once started, it keeps happening each time a new instance of the
problem window is created. As Giuseppe pointed out, manually resizing the window
causes it to stop...for a while. Then it happens again. I have no idea what
combination of conditions triggers it.

	I'd really thought this had gone away, but obviously it hasn't. The
mail reader I'm using at the moment is a somewhat quirky Motif app (I know,
some would say the phrase is redundant!), which is why I noticed it when I
started to reply.

	Do we have any heavy Motif users who can bang away at this release
and try to gather any more information?

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 02:07:56 +0100 (MET)

> recently, but it seemed to have stopped, so I assumed that someone had fixed

This is precisely what happens !

> to this message, the problem recurred.

The same happened to me when I was writing my report ... it really looks
like a sort of corruption of memory that builds up slowly ... and hits you
when you *really* have to use *that* application !

I can add another information: I've never seen this specific problem in
2.0.46. I hope this will help.

cheers,
Giuseppe.