Subject: Testing versions are being downloaded

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 1998 15:37:55 -0600

I count 189 downloads of fvwm-2.1.1.tar.gz and a handful of 2.1.0 since we
put them up.

I'm not sure that the lack of bug reports indicates that the release is
just incredibly solid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

 - J<
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 00:30:39 +0100 (MET)

> just incredibly solid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

	Jeje, we all hope so, but it may be due to people don't caring about 
stres-testing it, and posibly they are using more beta soft, so they 
don't know if what made it segfault was itself or a bug in the last 
2.1.129-pre5 kernel :)
	Anyway I think fvwm2 is more solid that it seems, it never crashed 
here, I know this is no valid info, but I'm sure that everyone agree in 
that finding bugs in fvwm2 is a hard task, so the question is why not 
release a 2.2-pre1 or something similar, I mean , something that inform 
people out of the mailing list and the CVS about the proximity of a new 
release, we may even post an announce to freshmeat (if you are prepared 
to get 180 downloads a day ;).
	The most important reason to do this should be that after that, we
could split our task force, there are people who wants a *very* stable
2.2, so they could work on it, and then other people (like me) would be
free to theorizy about command syntax and such things, it has been almost
two years from the las "official" release of fvwm2 so I think it's time to
update the Official Home Page of Fvwm2, and it would be great if we could
come with a stable 2.2 release before the end of this month, I have
nothing against december, but posponing it with the idea of include more
features of some syntax redesing is not a god idea (IMHO of course). 

	What do you think?

<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
   One O.S. to rule them all,          |  German Gomez Garcia
      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]
   One O.S. to bring them all          |
      and in the darkness bind them.   |  "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"
<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:08:18 -0500 (EST)

German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]> wrote:
> stres-testing it....

	Well, I would hope that we're giving it a more thorough stress-testing
that the average user who just wants to take a look at the new features (or see
whether his favorite bug has been fixed). We certainly should be trying to.

> I think it's time to update the Official Home Page of Fvwm2, and it would be
> great if we could > come with a stable 2.2 release before the end of this
> month, I have nothing against december, but posponing it...is not a god idea
> (IMHO of course).  
> 
> 	What do you think?

	We're all really impatient to see a new release get out, believe me.
But cut us a little slack on this one. We're a brand new development team, and
we're still getting used to the procedures. Once the official 2.2 goes out, I
think you may be surprised at how quickly subsequent releases will follow,
compared to the way it's been in the past - if we do this one right!

- Bob

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 1998 18:03:26 -0600

>>>>> "GJGG" == German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]> writes:

GJGG> [...] so the question is why not release a 2.2-pre1 or something
GJGG> similar,

IMO, *-pre releases are abominations born out of too-slow release cycles
that we have no need of.  Let folks know we're getting ready for a release
and ask for testers.  Give them a URL to grab 2.1.2.  If it's fine, bump
the rev to 2.2.0, branch there (for maintenance) and be done with it.  If
it sucks, fix the bugs and try again.  Try not to let this go on for too
long (as you get the problem of everybody trying every development
release).

I honestly believe that the users deserve a release soon (as much as users
of free software deserve anything).  But this should wait at least until I
get the infrastructure ready.  Apache is building now...

 - J<

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 01:53:27 +0100 (MET)

> long (as you get the problem of everybody trying every development
	Well, that should be enough, I suggested a prerelease because it 
indicate clearly the inmdiate release. Anyway I think that a two year 
release cycle is a too-slow release cycle (yeah, I know this is going to 
change now, but people out of the list don't know it)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:59:54 +0100

> compared to the way it's been in the past - if we do this one right!

I'd like to see it cleaned up with purify before the release.
There are lots of nice in my head that I cannot implement now
too, but it will simply have to wait for a while.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].