Subject: recapture problems?

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:37:03 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone noticed
1. that certain windows like FvwmButtons seem to grow on a recapture
2. other windows shift up 10 pixels or so.

I seem to remember the second happening in 2.0.46 but some patch had fixed
it.  The first I have never seen before.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Nov 1998 15:36:07 -0500

%% Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> writes:

  bg> 1. that certain windows like FvwmButtons seem to grow on a recapture
  bg> 2. other windows shift up 10 pixels or so.

  bg> I seem to remember the second happening in 2.0.46 but some patch
  bg> had fixed it.  The first I have never seen before.

I see #2--sort of.  When I restart fvwm2 my Emacs windows seem to shift
over to the right 10 pixels or so.  It happens to both open windows and
inconified windows.

Note my Emacs frames are created with geometry -0+70; maybe it's a
negative geometry problem?  Are your windows that shift up created with
a +X-Y geometry?

Offhand it appears that other apps that are created with a +X+Y geometry
don't seem to have the same problem... but it could also be just Emacs
frames; that's the only app I've noticed it with so far.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:14:34 +0000

> it.  The first I have never seen before.

I've not seen the growing behaviour, but I can reproduce (2).  There's
a full description at:

  http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/16/16143.html

The patch that was posted to this list was a hack, and didn't make
clear the root cause of the problem.

Austin

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:33:56 -0500 (EST)

> negative geometry problem?  Are your windows that shift up created with
My emacs walks even with positve y's but so do things like xterms and
FvwmButtons.

It seems that it is mostly FvwmButtons that is growing (and the ocassional
gimp subwindow).  But I don't know to much of the Buttons code, to even
know where to begin to look.

Brad

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:14:34 +0000

Austin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:04:51 +0100

> 2. other windows shift up 10 pixels or so.

No, not with my setup. Can you narrow it down to a minimal
config with the problem?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:44:39 -0500 (EST)

I think I can show you the problem for 1.
and you can disregard 2.

Here are my Style flags for the pager
Style "Fvwm*"           NoTitle, NoHandles, Sticky, WindowListSkip,
BorderWidth 0 
Style "Fvwm*"           CirculateSkip, CirculateSkipIcon, ClickToFocus 

Then start the pager and do some recaptures, sometimes it doesn't do it
but if you do a few succesive recaptures it will. But it seems to always
grow if it is swallowed by FvwmButtons then both modules will grow.