Subject: FvwmAnimate: The Next Generation

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:51:41 -0500 (EST)

Dan, had you planned to extend the FvwmAnimate technology to a
rework of the AnimatedWindowshade patch that's been lying around in
unofficial_patches for ages?

	I was just starting to make up a list of things that would be
nice to start working on after the release, and this one sprang to mind
(since I used the old patch on 2.0.46, and was sorry it didn't make it
into the release).

	However, seeing what you've done with FvwmAnimate, it seems to 
me that we ought to look into re-implementing windowshade animation via
the module interface.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:26:30 -0500

> unofficial_patches for ages?
...
> me that we ought to look into re-implementing windowshade animation via

I hadn't planned to attack windowshading.   Since I'm pretty obviously
a builtin    iconbox  user, windowshade animation    doesn't hold much
interest.

I think using the module interface should be feasible.

I'm never   sure what  I'll do next,   but  I've been  thinking  about
FvwmForms, and  I'd really like to  figure out why  XScreenSaver can't
install its Private Colormap with fvwm2.

> (since I used the old patch on 2.0.46, and was sorry it didn't make it

Upating TODO?

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:44:42 +0100

> (since I used the old patch on 2.0.46, and was sorry it didn't make it

Why don't you put your list in some separate section in the TODO file?
Doesn't make sense if everybody keeps his own list.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:26:30 -0500

...

Upating TODO?

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 10 Nov 1998 19:35:06 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> I'm never sure what I'll do next, but I've been thinking about
  de> FvwmForms, and I'd really like to figure out why XScreenSaver
  de> can't install its Private Colormap with fvwm2.

Oh!  Oh!  Oh!

An entire _case_ of virtual beer if you figure this out! :-/.

Note that the latest xlockmore installations also do something funky;
when started on _some_ systems they create a white background; on others
(mine, for example), the background is properly black.

This _sounds_ very similar to the problem with xscreensaver I reported
to the list back in mid-June.  I still have that report if you can't
find it in the archives.

If you do decide to look into this, contact JWZ 'cause he said he'd be
interested in working with someone who "knew what the @#$%& fvwm did
with colormaps" to solve the problem (of course, JWZ never really uses
"@#$%*", he always says the real thing :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:45:54 -0500 (EST)

> Upating TODO?

	Yup.

- Bob

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:19:43 -0500

> to the list back in mid-June.  I still have that report if you can't

I've saved it all since I'm somewhat determined to eventually get it
to work.

I've  been trying to  understand the  ICCCM on this  subject, but  not
really  getting it.   fvwm  seems determined  to   not let any  client
install  a colormap.  The ICCCM  has some other  way for the client to
ask for a colormap to be installed, but I don't think JWZ uses it.

What  I think  JWZ  is   trying to  do is    create  a  root that   is
"overrideredirect".

  attrmask = (CWOverrideRedirect | CWEventMask | CWBackingStore | CWColormap |
	      CWBackPixel | CWBackingPixel | CWBorderPixel);
  attrs.override_redirect = True;

fvwm does this in colormap.c:

  /* Reinstall the colormap that we think should be installed,
   * UNLESS and unrecognized window has the focus - it might be
   * an override-redirect window that has its own colormap. */
  if((ReInstall)&&(Scr.UnknownWinFocused == None))
    {
      XInstallColormap(dpy,last_cmap);    
    }

But I don't see how  that logic detects  override-redirect windows.  I
also don't exactly see  in the ICCCM where  it says that that type  of
window has  the freedom  to install its   own  colormap.  I  think  in
general an override redirect window can  do anything, but I'm not sure
about the colormap in particular.

By the way,  all of this  information is  half-cooked.  (I'm not  sure
about  parts of it, and I've  had some difficultly creating tests that
show what goes on.)

> "@#$%*", he always says the real thing :).

The mail I saw didn't say "work with".

I've seen the language.  I find his home  page and Netnews posts quite
entertaining.

> -- 
>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen