Subject: Ping: move.c workers - bugs to fix

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 01:26:53 -0500 (EST)

Could we get a dialogue going among everyone working on move.c? There
are currently a few bugs in the code, and I don't want to step on what others
are doing by tring to fix them without a little consultation.

	I'm attaching a couple of patch chunks that I tried out this evening.
They correct some of the problems I've found, but not all, and I can't
guarantee that they don't interfere with other work in progress.

	1) The ActivePlacement breakage is corrected by the first chunk - I
	   don't believe it has any side effects.
	2) The second chunk corrects both the move-out-of-Pager problem and
	   the cursor-leading-the-move quirk - but it probably leaves the
	   original problem Tim was trying to address unfixed. I can't tell,
	   because....
	3) Move invoked from a menu bound to a titlebar button seems to be
	   broken now (with or without my patches). You can drag the window
	   around, but when you drop it, it snaps back to its original
	   position. I've no idea what's going on here, but it looks
	   superficially similar to the ActivePlacement problem (moveLoop
	   not updating the caller's x,y, coordinates).

	Here's the patch - at this point, it's just a suggestion, because I
really don't know what work is in progress.

- Bob

--- move.c	Thu Nov  5 23:20:44 1998
+++ RBW-move.c	Thu Nov  5 23:21:21 1998
@@ -248,7 +248,10 @@
   int xl,yt,delta_x,delta_y,paged;
   unsigned int expect_button;
 
+/*  RBW-temp - this broke ActivePlacement...
   if (eventp && eventp->type == KeyPress)
+*/
+  if (eventp ==  NULL || (eventp && eventp->type == KeyPress))
     expect_button = 0;
   else
     expect_button = ~0;
@@ -599,8 +602,14 @@
   DragY = eventp->xbutton.y_root;
   /* If this is commented out, then the move starts from the button press 
    * location instead of the current location */
+/*  RBW-temp  - uncommenting this does 2 things:
+      - breaks moving a window "out of the Pager" onto the desktop (we
+        don't want the window in its current location, we want it *here*)
+      - causes the cursor to "lead" the move during normal grab-and-drag
+        operations
   XQueryPointer(dpy, Scr.Root, &JunkRoot, &JunkChild,
       &DragX, &DragY,	&JunkX, &JunkY, &JunkMask);
+*/
 
   if(!GrabEm(MOVE))
     {

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:47:10 +0100

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 01:26:53AM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> 	   position.

Please see my other posting. Perhaps I have time to debug it
this weekend, but maybe not, sorry.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].