Subject: [2.1.0] Menus posting always?

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:12:34 -0500

I have this in .fvwm2rc:

  Mouse 1		R   	A       Menu Utilities

In the "old days" (2.0.4x?) if I clicked mouse-1 on the root, the menu
popped up and stuck, then I would move the mouse over an item and click
to select it.

If I pressed mouse-1 without releasing, the menu popped up and I could
drag to the item I wanted then release the mouse to select it.

Now, with the latest CVS stuff, it always behaves the first way (sticks
and I have to click again to select) even if I press-and-drag.

Thoughts?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 21:36:40 +0100

> and I have to click again to select) even if I press-and-drag.

I believe the reason why this has changed is that you might
accidentally select an entry if the pointer was near the bottom
when you clicked. Might be that this was one of the bugfixes I
applied, but I am not sure. Did it still work in 47d?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 03 Nov 1998 16:35:43 -0500

>> and I have to click again to select) even if I press-and-drag.

  d> I believe the reason why this has changed is that you might
  d> accidentally select an entry if the pointer was near the bottom
  d> when you clicked. Might be that this was one of the bugfixes I
  d> applied, but I am not sure. Did it still work in 47d?

Don't know, I didn't use 47d.

Why would the pointer be near the bottom?  Doesn't the pointer warp to
the top of the menu when you open it... oops, I see that it doesn't.
Didn't it used to?  I prefer that, even though in general I think
warping is evil... it's better than selecting bogus stuff.

Another option is to create the menu set to the left or right enough
that the pointer isn't selecting anything, if there's not enough room to
place the pointer on the title without warping it.

Well, I prefer the old behavior much more but if we've decided to keep
this new behavior then the documentation in the man page should be
changed, because it's now very incorrect.

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:45:47 +0100

I have a fix for this. Unfortunately I forgot it at home
so it will not be in before tomorrow.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 21:46:17 +0000 (GMT)

> changed, because it's now very incorrect.

I _very_ much prefer the old click-drag-release system.  2.0.46 warps
the pointer, as does 2.0.47b.  I don't have a 2.0.47d build,
unfortunately.

Austin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:30:40 +0100

> the pointer, as does 2.0.47b.  I don't have a 2.0.47d build,

This has long been fixed.

Bye

Dominik