Subject: autoconf clean-depend

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 10:45:52 -0500

This last set of updates needed "clean-depend" to work.

The closest I could come was to cd to the libs directory
and do "maintainer-clean-depend".

Even better would have been if it detected that libs/System.c
had changed and rebuilt the the libs/.deps/System.P file.

Actually, I've had lots of trouble getting this kind of thing to work
in my own GNUMake files, so if we get the later, thats extra points!

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Nov 1998 13:59:19 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> Even better would have been if it detected that libs/System.c
  de> had changed and rebuilt the the libs/.deps/System.P file.

This is a known issue with the current automake dependency generation:
if you remove a header you can get bitten like this.

The reasons are quite esoteric and require a detailed understanding of
GNU make and how automake does dependencies; Tom Tromey and I have
discussed it at length.

I think he's implemented a fix for this for the next release of
automake.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].