Subject: Making a package --- VERY IMPORTANT

From: Steven Michael ROBBINS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:55:45 -0500 (EST)

Dan Said:

> It appears that I can now make a package.  At least "make dist"
> creates a tar.gz file that I can unpack and looks complete.

Uh, please never Never NEVER just use "make dist".  Always always use
"make distcheck". 

Why?  Because "distcheck" does an unpack & build of the distribution, and
will catch errors that you won't catch "by eye". 

This is documented in DEVELOPERS, by the way.  Please read it for some 
more explanations, but the basic recipe is:

Steps: 1. make sure you have XPM and a C++ compiler
       2. configure with the flag --enable-extras
       3. make
       4. make distcheck
       5. ensure that you see the message 
          "fvwm-x.y.z.tar.gz ready for distribution"
          before uploading the tar file somewhere

One thing I've learned the hard way: 

        You have to configure with ALL THE OPTIONAL SUBDIRECTORIES
        in order to build a distribution!

In other words, you need Xpm, and a C++ compiler, AND you have to
configure using the flag --enable-extras. 

Happy dist'ing,

Steve R

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:06:56 -0500

> Uh, please never Never NEVER just use "make dist".  Always always use

You mean I have to read documentation, follow all the steps and check
my work also?  Sounds like work.

OK, OK, I've got some C++ problem, but I'll see if I can't fix it.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 19 Nov 1998 12:41:14 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> Uh, please never Never NEVER just use "make dist".  Always always use

  de> You mean I have to read documentation, follow all the steps and check
  de> my work also?  Sounds like work.

I know you're kidding, but note that make distcheck actually is _less_
work.  It will:

 1) Create the tar file
 2) Unpack the tar file
 3) Run configure
 4) Run make
 5) Run make check (that doesn't do anything for us, but...)

and let you know if it worked or failed.  All automatically.  Very
nice.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].