Subject: feature reqest: per menuitem pixmap?

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:43:34 +0000

Someone at work has asked me whether fvwm can change the background
colour on a per-menu item basis.  I think the answer is no.  But if
you were able to put a pixmap behind menu items (not just at the side)
then you could get a similar effect by just having a 1x1 pixmap.

Thoughts?

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:19:46 +0100

> then you could get a similar effect by just having a 1x1 pixmap.

No, it can't be done with current code. And to be honest I don't
like the idea much. If we code things like these, fvwm will fast
suffer from advanced featuritis. I think there was a patch
recently that allowed this or something similar, but it was
rejected as code bloat (Dan might know more about that).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:42:40 -0500

> rejected as code bloat (Dan might know more about that).

The one I rejected  was for user  control over shadows and highlights.

German's  patch  (what  is the   status of that?)    is  for  per menu
color/pixmap/gradient   control.   As "[email-masked]"? points out,
pixmaps carefully matched  to the text  height would  create a similar
effect.  Per menu item  would be a step beyond  that.  As  I remember,
Rob (original  author) made  specific mention of  cvtwm's interpolated
menu color control as an example of bloat he wanted to avoid.

As you may be aware, fvwm does have the ability to "gray out" specific
menu items based on mwm window hints.  I recently had the desire to be
able   to gray out specific  items  based on  other  criteria.  Ie. in
FvwmAnimate generated menus,  I wanted to gray out  the menu item that
matched a current setting.  There isn't any current way to do this.

I'd  be more interested  in functional things, like "gray-out" control
rather than esthetic things   like throwing a   bunch of color  on the
menus.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:58:07 +0100

> rather than esthetic things   like throwing a   bunch of color  on the

That sounds better. Can you describe what you need/want/could imagine
here? I could do that if I know what is needed.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:34:37 -0500

> here? I could do that if I know what is needed.

If you pop up a menu on certain windows, you will see "Delete" is
sometimes grayed out.  Ie. with this menustyle:

MenuStyle   white cornflowerblue navy 9x15bold fvwm

The word "Delete" is "navy".

I would like to generate  menus, where one or  more  items I pick  are
grayed out.  Given  the "funky" addtomenu  syntax, I'm not  sure how I
would design the syntax:

AddToMenu menu-name menu-label command-or-title

Note that "menu-label" has embedded pixmap functionality.

Perhaps:

AddToMenu "MenuFvwmAnimate" "[gray-out]Delay 1" *FvwmAnimateDelay 1
AddToMenu "MenuFvwmAnimate" "Delay 10" *FvwmAnimateDelay 10

On the other hand,

AddToMenu "MenuFvwmAnimate" "[ForeGround "navy"]Delay 1" *FvwmAnimateDelay 1

Ugh, quotes inside of quotes...

I really don't need this.  The menus do a decent job as they stand.
I certainly wouldn't want you to do anything to 2.1.3 for this.
I'd rather focus on a stable release right now.