Subject: autoconf fails on HP-UX 10.20

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:50:56 +0100

Configuring was ok, but when I wanted to make:

> make

No suffix list.
        cd . && /tmp_mnt/tftp/domivogt/src/fvwm/missing aclocal
WARNING: `aclocal' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.  You might want
         to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.  Grab them from
         any GNU archive site.
        cd . && /tmp_mnt/tftp/domivogt/src/fvwm/missing autoheader
WARNING: `autoheader' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `acconfig.h' or `configure.in'.  You might want
         to install the `Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages.  Grab them
         from any GNU archive site.
        cd . \
          && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h \
             /bin/sh ./config.status
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
        make  all-recursive
No suffix list.
Making all in libs
Make: line 217: syntax error.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 04 Nov 1998 13:14:08 -0500

%% /users/domivogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> make

Remember you must use GNU make if you want to build a non-dist version.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:26:19 +0100

> Remember you must use GNU make if you want to build a non-dist version.

Then I can only build at home.

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 05 Nov 1998 08:53:39 -0500

>> Remember you must use GNU make if you want to build a non-dist version.

  dv> Then I can only build at home.

Why?

GNU make is very portable (runs on everything fvwm2 runs on, that's for
sure :) and quite simple to compile.  And it's only a single 147k app
(on my SunOS box).  It doesn't require any special permissions or
anything, so you can just stick it in your home directory somewhere if
you want.

Anyway, this is a bummer, I know.  But the only solutions are to either
(a) use GNU make, or (b) build a dist with "make dist" on a system with
GNU make, and move that to the other systems.  The dist, of course, can
be used with any make and any compiler.  That's even more of a pain.

The problem is that many of the special features of the developer's
environment, like dependency checking, etc. simply can't be done without
some of the advanced features of GNU make.

---

From: Dave Glowacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 10:36:25 -0600

> some of the advanced features of GNU make.

No, they can be done with most modern "make" programs, they just can't
be done portably.