Subject: suggestions for the next release

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:07:53 -0500 (EST)

Howdy all.

I'm glad to see that several of you have decided to take up the torch as a
communal effort.  I've been briefly scanning the mailing lists as I've had
time, and hopefully I'll even be able to contribute again, sometime in the
future...

For now though, I'd like to offer a suggestion for someone to look into
that is related to some of the discussions that were going on about
exporting ModulePath as an env var.

Before I handed the stuff off to Brady, I had begun FvwmPreproc which was
meant to be a replacement for FvwmM4 and FvwmCpp, but with a slightly
different behavior.  It wasn't meant to be a module per se, but rather used
via the PipeRead command (or the -p command line option, brother to -f,
that I didn't finish adding either) to invoke either m4 or cpp, reading
several env vars that would have been exported by fvwm (ModulePath,
PixmapPath, version number, FvwmDir, compiled in options, etc - basically
any of the fvwm specific info that couldn't be accessed via straight X11
calls).

Unfortunately I didn't finish it, although the partially finished version
was in the tarball I gave Brady so I'm assuming that it made it into CVS (I
don't know if anyone noticed it or not).  I highly recommend that someone
finish it up, since it should help solve some of the evil bugs with the way
that FvwmM4/Cpp work currently ("Say, why didn't some of my windows get my
border definitions until I did a recapture?").

Chuck

ps - about the ModulePath stuff - you may want to make fvwm try the
currently defined ModulePath when looking for a module, then look to the
compiled in ModulePath if the first one fails.  That way you don't even
need to worry about putting the default ModulePath in any redefinition of
it in your rc files (unless of course you want it in the middle of your
ModulePath, then the env var could be used).

--
*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis and Balintawak Escrima]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Nov 1998 12:08:46 -0600

>>>>> "CH" == Charles Hines <[email-masked]> writes:

CH> Unfortunately I didn't finish it, although the partially finished
CH> version was in the tarball I gave Brady so I'm assuming that it made it
CH> into CVS (I don't know if anyone noticed it or not).

There's no trace of an FvwmPreproc module in CVS; you may want to resend or
I can give you write access.  (I can't imagine that anyone would object.)

 - J<

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:32:49 -0500 (EST)

>>>>> "J" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

J> There's no trace of an FvwmPreproc module in CVS; you may want to resend or
J> I can give you write access.  (I can't imagine that anyone would object.)

I suppose you could give me write access, since I was probably going to ask
for it eventually anyways, but unfortunately I probably won't be able to
find the time to learn enough about CVS to check it in anytime soon.

So if anyone out there wants to take a crack at finishing it up (as well as
the couple of small changes to fvwm itself to accomodate it) that already
has write access to the CVS tree (and knows how to access it) just let me
know and I'll get the unfinished source to you.  Otherwise, I guess I'll
just finish it up myself and figure out how to work with CVS as time
permits - and most of you know how that has gone for me in the past. :)

Chuck

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Nov 1998 12:48:06 -0700

> border definitions until I did a recapture?").

No, I didn't put it in the stuff which ended up in CVS. I started working on
it and it looked to me to be at that sort of half-finished stage where it was
just easier for me to write my own from scratch than try to figure it out. I
didn't get much farther than you did though :-(.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]