Subject: FvwmCommand

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:41:55 -0500 (EST)

I noticed in the last revision that some changes were made in here, mainly
beacuse I had an updated version of it.  In looking we probably we want to
update both FvwmCommand and FvwmConsole to the most current versions,
since a lot of bug fixes were made.  If anyone else wants to do this go
ahead otherwise I will get CVS access and do it.

Additionally I don't seem to see any log notes on what exactly the
motivation for the changes to FvwmCommand.c were.  Could whoever made
these enlighten me.

Brad

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Nov 1998 09:40:36 -0500

%% Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> writes:

  bg> I noticed in the last revision that some changes were made in
  bg> here, mainly beacuse I had an updated version of it.  In looking
  bg> we probably we want to update both FvwmCommand and FvwmConsole to
  bg> the most current versions, since a lot of bug fixes were made.  If
  bg> anyone else wants to do this go ahead otherwise I will get CVS
  bg> access and do it.

This series is another where it seems like we have 'way more variants of
modules than are really necessary.  We have FvwmTalk, FvwmCommand,
FvwmConsole, FvwmPipe (?), and fvwmperl and fvwmpython.

Shouldn't we be able to condense these into at most two modules; some
kind of interactive module and one for scripting?  Maybe that's just me :)

  bg> Additionally I don't seem to see any log notes on what exactly the
  bg> motivation for the changes to FvwmCommand.c were.  Could whoever made
  bg> these enlighten me.

You should really check out the CVSWeb interface, it's most excellent:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi

(I don't know if it's my link to UH or what, but the WWW access to this
site always seems pretty slow... is it just me?  The CVS access isn't
bad at all.)

However, I don't see any changes in FvwmCommand.c, except some simple
whitespace differences.  What in particular were you thinking of?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 14:51:16 +0000

> kind of interactive module and one for scripting?  Maybe that's just me :)

FvwmTalk and FvwmConsole are just about the same.  FvwmConsole can use
the readline library which is very nice (searchable history) but it
requires xterm so that may rule out deleting FvwmTalk.

FvwmCommand is a superset of FvwmPipe.

Don't know about fvwmperl/python but there is an FvwmCommand.pl that can
be used in perl scripts.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:53:02 -0500 (EST)

> kind of interactive module and one for scripting?  Maybe that's just me :)

I agree, I don't even install Talk, Console is a full functiong superset,
that includes a saved scrollable history mechanism as well.

I don't have a preference on a scripting module FvwmCommand just happen to
have a lot of examples that did what I needed.

> site always seems pretty slow... is it just me?  The CVS access isn't
It not just you, that is why I gave up on the cvsweb interface

> whitespace differences.  What in particular were you thinking of?
Oops, my bad it was reindented that is why the merge failed.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:11:02 +0100

> Don't know about fvwmperl/python but there is an FvwmCommand.pl that can

fvwmperl is obsolete now. I exchanged mail with the author
(copyrights) and he told me there is a better successor.
Unfortunatelt I threw away the mail by accident and cannot
remember the name exactly, but it was something like
fvwmX11. Could someone try to find that?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Nov 1998 09:24:36 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> (I don't know if it's my link to UH or what, but the WWW access to
PDS> this site always seems pretty slow... is it just me?  The CVS access
PDS> isn't bad at all.)

I've never seen any other complaints.  Of course, it's reasonably fast for
me since I'm local, but the machine running it isn't the best thing in the
world.

 - J<

---

From: Andreas Ehliar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:15:55 +0100

> site always seems pretty slow... is it just me?  The CVS access isn't

This is the reason that the site is so slow I believe:
Nov  9 17:07:40 angreal identd[10461]: from: 129.7.3.5 ( Sina.HPC.UH.EDU ) for: 3214, 80
Nov  9 17:07:40 angreal identd[10461]: Successful lookup: 3214 , 80 : ehliar.ehliar 

The server tries to check identd for every single connection...
I grew so frustrated that I firewalled connections from sina.hpc.uh.edu
to port 113 on my computer, and that site is much faster now.. although one
should probably discuss this with the administrators of www.hpc.uh.edu.

regards
Andreas Ehliar

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Nov 1998 10:57:23 -0600

>>>>> "AE" == Andreas Ehliar <[email-masked]> writes:

AE> Thee server tries to check identd for every single connection...

Yes, it does.  It is policy that we do this.

AE> although one should probably discuss this with the administrators of
AE> www.hpc.uh.edu.

I am the administrator of that machine.  What was it that you wanted to
discuss?

 - J<

---

From: Andreas Ehliar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:11:20 +0100

> I am the administrator of that machine.  What was it that you wanted to
I didn't know that, anyway, I just wanted to point out to the admin that
the ident connections slow down interactivity a _lot_, especially if you are
on a dialup connection. but if it is policy, I guess you can't do much about it.

(Probably drifting off topic now I guess...)

regards
Andreas Ehliar

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Nov 1998 11:17:54 -0600

>>>>> "AE" == Andreas Ehliar <[email-masked]> writes:

AE> (Probably drifting off topic now I guess...)

Well, not really, as it directly effects development.

The relevant directive requires us to collect as much info as possible.
Unfortunately ident is pretty much useless anyway, especially for web
browsing where most of your hits are from proxies or PCs.  I had a little
talk with the translator between legalese and admin-speak (who says that
the directive means "thou shalt make ident queries") and explained that
this is equivalent to "thy web performance shall suck".  The option is
turned off for the time being.

Once I move stuff to a dedicated machine I shouldn't have to worry about
it.

 - J<

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:29:11 -0500 (EST)

I think I found it but I didn't try it:
http://www.byz.org/~randy/perl/X11::Fvwm

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 09 Nov 1998 12:39:50 -0500

%% Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:

  tp> FvwmTalk and FvwmConsole are just about the same.  FvwmConsole can
  tp> use the readline library which is very nice (searchable history)
  tp> but it requires xterm so that may rule out deleting FvwmTalk.

Maybe we could still remove it, but provide FvwmConsole with a non-xterm
option?  IOW, merge them?  We could even do what Dominik did and have
FvwmConsole use a private window if it was invoked as FvwmTalk.

  tp> FvwmCommand is a superset of FvwmPipe.

So, does anyone use FvwmPipe?  It's in the extras directory anyway.
Maybe it's simple to remove.

  tp> Don't know about fvwmperl/python but there is an FvwmCommand.pl
  tp> that can be used in perl scripts.

I don't know much about them either, and neither of them seem
"up-to-date".  Seems like a wrapper to interact with FvwmCommand (as in
FvwmCommand.pl) would be much simpler.  Maybe they should both go, too.

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 10:16:46 -0800

This looks like it's the obsoleted 0.4 release. 1.0 is living in CPAN,
under the name X11-Fvwm. Try
http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/modules/by-category/08_User_Interfaces/
    X11/X11-Fvwm-1.0.tar.gz
for 1.0 (sorry about the linewrap)...  I've used it for quite a few
months now. Incidentally, the perl-based make explicitly requires that
the version == 2.0.46...

Previously...
>> fvwmX11. Could someone try to find that?
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not burp in class
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].