Subject: [[email-masked]: problems: in SnapAttraction, in StartsOnPage and in ???]

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:48:34 +0100

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:24:15 +0100
Subject: problems: in SnapAttraction, in StartsOnPage and in ???
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi Dominik,

my name is Giuseppe. I'm a user of Fvwm since 2.0.43 I think, and I'm very
happy to see the development on my favourite wm going fast and well again.
I'm not expert enough to contribute directly to the code, but I would like
to help notifying you of three problems I've found.

I'm working on a Digital Alpha and using gcc 2.7.2.3, and I'm using fvwm
2.1.3 from yesterday evening (22/11).

The first problem I've seen is related to SnapAttraction (a very nice
feature, I must say: I like to fill all the availabel space ... :-) )
Let's suppose I've two windows, A (on the left) and B (on the right).
If I move A towords B, SnapAttraction works ok. If I move B towards A,
then B ens up a little bit too close to A (1 pixel I would say).
The same problem is present with a upper/lower configuration: if I move
the lower window close to the upper one, again there is an overlap.
Maybe it's related with the computation of the window effective size ?
I'm using Style "*" BorderWidth 5, HandleWidth 5
if this can help.

The second problem is "Netscape related". I'm using:
Style "Netscape*"      SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 2 0 0
but this is not working for me: the window appears always on the current
page. Instead 
Style "Pine"           SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 4 0 0
works ok with :
Exec exec xterm +sb -title Pine -n Pine -e pine -d 0
Why ?

The third problem is more tricky, I think, because it's difficut to
reproduce and to describe: it just happens from time to time. When I
"refresh" a window, or just create it, sometimes it comes out with the
wrong size: the actual size is 10/20 pixels bigger, in both dimensions,
than the size I've requested.
If I insist in "refreshing"/creating this kind of windows, they became
bigger and bigger each time. If I resize one of them by hand, the problem
disappers, but not forever: it's just there, waiting to appear again ...
As I said, it's very difficult to describe: for "refresh", I mean for
example what Netscape does when you navigate from one site to another
(maybe "redrawing" is a better term ? I'm not an expert of X11 events...).
But it happens also when I create an xload window with a (definite) size.
It seems to me that some informations becomes corrupted, and my resizing
by hand just corrects them temporarly.

I've just "cvs-updated" my fvwm with the latest fixes: the problem is
still there. Unfortunately I have no ways of reproducing it (apart from,
maybe, makind a lot of "Restart") ... I wanted just to tell someone that
it is there, since I've not seen something like this on the fvwm-workers
list.
Thanks a lot for your pacience and ...

                                       ...  good work !

best regards,
Giuseppe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Giuseppe Della Ricca.  INFN - Trieste
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Projects: DELPHI STIC ( Small angle TIle Calorimeter ) - CERN
           BaBar  SVT  ( Silicon Vertex Tracker )       - SLAC

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:04:30 -0500 (EST)

> I'm using Style "*" BorderWidth 5, HandleWidth 5
With broders of five I don't seem to be able to reproduce this, I even
used xmag and I don't see an overalp.

> Exec exec xterm +sb -title Pine -n Pine -e pine -d 0
I use "Netscape" no * and it works 

> by hand just corrects them temporarly.

I have noticed this with winows with no borders and netscape, but then I
tend to discount netscape since its behavior tends to be a little
different than anything else

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:57:53 -0800

> used xmag and I don't see an overalp.

I can reproduce it and since I did the patch I will fix it.  However, I am 
moving this week and do not have anything but crude email access in the way
of setup right now so it may be a week.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:32:35 -0500 (EST)

Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>   [ note forwarded from Giuseppe Della Ricca ]
> 

	I use "Netscape*" with the '*'. It works fine this way, and has done
since at least 3.0 (of Netscape). It catches the Netscape style of window
titles, like "Netscape: Bob's Home Page". Brad, your version matches the
Class name they use, at least in recent versions (I'm using 4.04), so it
works just as well.

	Giuseppe, which version of Netscape are you using? Have they
possibly changed the window title or class conventions they use in the very
latest version? You can see what they're using with the Fvwm Identify module.
This may give a clue.

	Since StartsOnPage is working for other apps, the problem has to
be a failure to match styles with the window name or class or resource
name. Is there possibly a name clash somewhere in the .fvwm2rc that could
undo the Netscape specification?

- Bob

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:04:51 -0500 (EST)

Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Giuseppe Della Ricca wrote:
GDR>>>     [ StartsOnPage not working with Netscape... ]
BW>    [ stuff about window name mismatching... ]

	Um, you're not by any chance using a version of the big
lizard that calls itself "Mozilla" instead of "Netscape", are you?

- Bob

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:12:58 +0100 (MET)

> lizard that calls itself "Mozilla" instead of "Netscape", are you?

Hi everybody !

I'm using Netscape 4.08. FvwmIdent gives:

Name:      Netscape: Version 4.08 [en]-98306
Icon Name: Netscape: Version 4.08 [en]-98306
Class:     Netscape
Resource:  Navigator

Desk:      0 (my current desk: it was supposed to go to desk 2)

X(current page): 10
Y(current page): 10

The 2 following lines:
Style "Netscape*"      Icon netscape_3d.xpm, MiniIcon mini.netscape.xpm
Style "Netscape*"      SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 2 0 0
are the only references to Netscape I have in my .fvwm2rc.
I've tried adding:
Style "Navigator*"     SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 2 0 0
Style "Communicator*"  SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 2 0 0
without success.

Contrary to what I've reported previously, I've started having problems
also with:
Style "Pine"           SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 4 0 0
(this was working at the time of my mail !)

In this case FvwmIdent gives:

Name:      Pine
Icon Name: Pine
Class:     XTerm
Resource:  xterm

I'm really confused !!

Giuseppe.