Subject: Re: [2.1.0] Menus posting always?

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:14:20 -0500 (EST)

[email-masked] (Paul D. Smith) wrote:
ps> %% /users/domivogt <[email-masked]> writes:
ps> 
ps>   >> Now, with the latest CVS stuff, it always behaves the first way
ps>   >>(sticks and I have to click again to select) even if I
ps>   press-and-drag. 
ps> 
ps>   d> I believe the reason why this has changed is that you might
ps>   d> accidentally select an entry if the pointer was near the bottom
ps>   d> when you clicked. Might be that this was one of the bugfixes I
ps>   d> applied, but I am not sure. Did it still work in 47d?

	No, this misfeature was already in 47d, although I hadn't noticed it
before.

ps> Why would the pointer be near the bottom?  Doesn't the pointer warp to
ps> the top of the menu when you open it... oops, I see that it doesn't.
ps> Didn't it used to? 

	Well, actually, it does, if you give it a little encouragement. If
you move the pointer slightly, it then warps to the top. 2.0.46 behaved this
way also.

> Well, I prefer the old behavior much more but if we've decided to keep
> this new behavior then the documentation in the man page should be
> changed, because it's now very incorrect.

	I vote for fixing it - it's a misfeature, because the handling is
inconsistent: for the root menu, the behavior is as you describe, but if
you continue holding the mouse button down and slide onto a submenu, then
releasing the mouse button behaves the old way - whatever the pointer is
over is selected.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 03 Nov 1998 23:10:45 -0500

%% Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

  bw> 	Well, actually, it does, if you give it a little
  bw> encouragement. If you move the pointer slightly, it then warps to
  bw> the top. 2.0.46 behaved this way also.

Really?  I never noticed.  Of course, my menus aren't very long and the
little root window space I generally keep clear is near the top, so I
rarely hit this situation :).

  >> changed, because it's now very incorrect.

  bw> 	I vote for fixing it - it's a misfeature, because the handling
  bw> is inconsistent: for the root menu, the behavior is as you
  bw> describe, but if you continue holding the mouse button down and
  bw> slide onto a submenu, then releasing the mouse button behaves the
  bw> old way - whatever the pointer is over is selected.

Ugh; yes, this is horrible.  I strongly second your vote for fixing it.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].