Subject: proceeding with bugfixes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 16:15:42 +0100

Hi all,

At the moment there is actually a lot going on because
of various bugfixes. We should keep cool at the moment
and think twice about any change that is committed and
who does it.

As critical as those bugs still in menus/moves may
appear, that is what we should expect. Much of the menu
and moving code has been enhanced/rewritten. Don't panic.

Some of the problems can explained or solved easier by
reading the changs section in archive/README.xxxx files.
Do read them before starting wild discussions about weird
behaviour etc. That will definitely help.

What to do:
-----------
I will resolve any problem with menus and the bug that
move does not work from a button, but I need time I don't
have at the moment. Please ignore these for now, I will
not forget them.

Steve, please make a new distribution, tag it as 2.1.1
and put it on the web server. However buggy this may be,
we need a new basis for common work. I don't want to hear
bug reports from people who are using 2.1.0 as many
things have been fixed already (remember others that
the workers list are already testing).

Also there is more important work to do: Fixing memory
leaks. There are *dozens* of them !! I worked on this
last night, fixed perhaps 20 or 30 (but built in one or
more coredumps, so I'll have to do more at the weekend).

I cannot fix all these leaks alone. Anyone willing to help
is welcome, but do not just start working, post it to this
thread.

I will address these leaks myself (refer to the purify log):

- everything where '...Menu...' appears somewhere in the stack
  trace

- everything where 'DoGetNextToken', 'GetNextOption' and
  'GetNextToken' appears in the stack trace

- IconPath, findIconFile, ...path leaks

I need help especially for the leaks related to fonts. I have
no experience on these and the leaks are quite big (3k, 7k
and so on).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 10:37:42 -0500

> and moving code has been enhanced/rewritten. Don't panic.

Dominik,  good points.  Actually, I think things are going
quite well.

Someone cleaned up the "usleep" vs. "sleep_a_little" issue
while I was documenting.  Progress, progress, progress.

This is great.

Since it  looks like we are going  to be at this a  while, and I don't
quite see how to sneak into these memory leak problems without getting
in  the way, I  think  I'll get back  to FvwmAnimate.   Seems like the
"Color"  options work under at   least some conditions,   so I want to
fully support that option.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 Nov 1998 11:04:07 -0500

%% [email-masked] writes:

  dv> I need help especially for the leaks related to fonts. I have no
  dv> experience on these and the leaks are quite big (3k, 7k and so
  dv> on).

I think I've fixed these font leaks, folks don't need to work on them.

I have a bunch of changes to go in, hopefully today (I want to test
after my merge with Steve's latest stuff).  I'll generate another Purify
log after that, and try doing some different stuff.  I'd also like to
Purify FvwmButtons, FvwmAuto, FvwmAnimate, and other long-lasting
modules (I don't care much about short-lived ones like FvwmCpp, FvwmM4,
FvwmForm, etc.)

In addition to the font memory cleanup and some of the other build
changes, while trying to figure out the FvwmAnimate/FvwmForm/DeadPipe
problem I worked on the SendPacket()/Broadcast() stuff (again...)
Broadcasts were pretty inefficient because they basically invoked Send()
once for each module, so the entire construction of the exact same
packet was done over again for each module.  I changed it so it's done
once, then sent to all modules.  Also, all packet construction
eventually invokes one function to create the basic parts, so there's
only one place the header is created and only one place to change that
(if it becomes necessary).  This should all be shiny and clean now :).

I'm still not sure that the FvwmAnimate/FvwmForm/DeadPipe issues are
gone for me.  I'll check again after the latest batch of changes.

Steve, maybe you want to wait on a 2.1.1 dist until my changes go in?
Up to you.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:12:34 +0100

> I think I've fixed these font leaks, folks don't need to work on them.

Great.

> modules (I don't care much about short-lived ones like FvwmCpp, FvwmM4,

Please check FvwmIconBox and FvwmPager too, I suspect leaks in
the parsers.

> Steve, maybe you want to wait on a 2.1.1 dist until my changes go in?

We can have a quick 2.1.2 followup if needed. There is no reason
to try to keep version numbers low at the moment.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 11:12:24 -0500

> modules (I don't care much about short-lived ones like FvwmCpp, FvwmM4,

You are welcome to do FvwmAnimate, but I've Purified it already.

>  Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Developmen

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:16:09 +0100

In the purify thread I adviced GetNextToken whould not be
changed so that an empty string (just '\0') was never
returned.

After checking lots of memory leaks I am convinced that this
change has to be done as soon as possible. There are too many
leaks caused by that than we can comfortably fix. I'd rather
check coredumps on this.

==> From monday on (I'll check it in then) we may have new
    problems with parsing of many commands and a few modules
    (FvwmIconBox, FvwmButtons, FvwmPager).

Bye

Dominik