Subject: Name of current version?

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:05:45 +0100

Sorry guys,

I have lost my orientation a bit, how is the current version
on the main trunk labeled (2.1.0)?

BTW, I wanted to create a new directory 'archive' in the
tree where all development-internal files can be placed.
This is not distributed, so the e.g. Changelog can be
moved there.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:35:11 -0500 (EST)

> on the main trunk labeled (2.1.0)?

Well, "current version" is too ambiguous a term.  

The repository has a version tagged "version-2_1_0", which is what I used
to build fvwm-2.1.0.tar.gz.

After that, the convention is that the trunk is considered an alpha
version, leading up to the next beta.  Hence it will not be tagged again
until considered stable enough to be a "beta" (i.e. 2.1.1).  At a bare
minimum, I'd suggest that "stable enough for beta" mean that "make
distcheck" properly complete. 

By the way, the version string in configure.in should be changed to 2.1.1. 
I did a commit this morning but forgot to change this string!

> This is not distributed, so the e.g. Changelog can be

Hiding ChangeLog from distribution is not a good idea.  As an installer, I
find it invaluable when tracking down bugs in the package, if I'm not a
developer.  Moreover, GNU standards dictate it be distributed, and you
have to fight with the auto* tools if you go against GNU standards.  It's
not usually worth the trouble. 

I see little reason for hiding stuff from installers anyway.  If it is
important enough to put into the source tree, then distribute it!  If it
doesn't belong in the source tree, then put it on your web page and tell
fvwm-workers about it.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

There's a little bit of Elvis in everybody.
Except Michael J. Fox -- he's the anti-Elvis.

---

From: /users/domivogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 22:04:51 +0100

> not usually worth the trouble. 

OK, I mentioned this beacause the was some discussion about the
Changelog. The real reason is the experimental stuff I wanted to
put in there. I have created an .indent.pro for indent to run
over the code someday, a file about copyright issues, a list
of option for lclint etc. That stuff doesn't belong into the
distribution but should be conserved somewhere with the version
it refers to.

> doesn't belong in the source tree, then put it on your web page and tell

Not everybody has a web page (i.e. I do not). Anyway, some stuff
should be placed in the same structure as the revision it belongs
to.

I will introduce this directory and we will if/how we remove
it from the distribution.

Bye

Dominik