Subject: Re[6]: GSFR: One flags structure or two?

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:13:04 -0500 (EST)

Dan Espen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have a feeling you are trying to convince me of something...

	Of course not, since you said you didn't want to have anything
to do with the GSFR!  :-)  I was just replying generically to the
thread.

> Thats 13  more style things  that can  be represented as  single bits,
> that are not to be copied into the FvwmWindow struct.

	Well, we both spoke too soon, without referring to the code
("...use the Source, Luke!) The FvwmWindow flags word would have some
extra bit-like entities, but the flags word that name_list uses is
totally full of style flags: there is no room at the inn.

	But you raised an interesting point, which is probably at the
heart of the whole matter. Does anyone understand the history of the
infamous ALL_COMMON_FLAGS, and why only those style flags are carried
in the FvwmWindow structure? And if so, please share it with us. To me
it seems an abominable practice.

- Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 23:59:44 -0500

> totally full of style flags: there is no room at the inn.

I assume we would:

add  to FvwmWindow a  "status"  field which are  the
common flags  from  the style   merge.   The existing flags field   in
FvwmWindow would have 13 bits unused.

Add a "status" field to the Style list  which would hold the 13 common
bits.  The existing on_flag  and  off_flag fields  would have 13  bits
unused.

Replace the masked move using ALL_COMMON_FLAGS with simple assignment.
Eliminate ALL_COMMON_FLAGS.

> it seems an abominable practice.

The ALL_COMMON_FLAGS   bits     are moved  into   the   FvwmWindow  at
"add_window" time.  The other bits aren't set  at add_window time from
the  merged  Styles because  they  reflect  the  current  state of the
window.

I sort of like the idea of separating the bits.  They are grouped right
now, only because they are bits.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].