Subject: Autoconf vs. Animicons

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Oct 1998 14:07:06 -0500

There seems to be a bit of contention about the order of these changes.
I think this is exactly the kind of thing the pumpking method is
supposed to resolve.

Although is was sort of ad hoc, I think the concensus was that Dominik
is the release maintainer getting us to the next (first!) stable release
of Fvwm 2.

As such, he's got the keys and it's up to him to decide what goes in or
doesn't.  If he doesn't want to take the risk of autoconf, then it
waits.  Steve can take over the reigns at that point, maybe.

If anyone asks my opinion, I hope it does go in to the stable release
(have we decided that will be 2.2.0?)  I think it would be really nice
to jump the version number cleanly to 2.2.0 and provide some nice new
features (animicons stuff) and stability (lots of bug fixes), and move
to a modern configure/build environment.  It would really say "hey, fvwm
is not dead!"

I confess I've kind of lost track of Dominik's latest plans, but maybe
he could generate a labeled 2.0.48 release incorporating the animicons
stuff, then we could let Steve in there to install the autoconf stuff
and one of them would generate 2.0.49, then we'd test and bugfix that
set of code until 2.2.0.  Or am I repeating already-understood plans? :)

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the autoconf support and think it's
stable.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:39:26 +0100

> waits.  Steve can take over the reigns at that point, maybe.

No, no, no, no, no. My proposal must have been absolutely
misleading. Eveybody thinks I do not want autoconf now.
I want it *now*, *immediately*, *at this very point in time*!
All I say is be do not take autoconf alone but merge it with
the 'animicons_menupos' branch, but do it this weekend!!!

> Personally, I'm pretty happy with the autoconf support and think it's

I am too and I think it is stable.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:39:27 -0500 (EST)

> There seems to be a bit of contention about the order of these changes.

I guess this has been resolved.  Dominik merged all the branched stuff
into the main trunk.  I am currently putting autoconf into it.
This will presumably go through a period of beta testing and emerge at
some point as a "stable" release.

At the same time, I see no harm in putting autoconf into some reasonably
solid version of 2.0.x, and calling it, say 2.0.48.  (Or 2.2.0 if you
insist, though I see no compelling reason to jump version numbers)

The current sources would become the 2.1.x (or 2.3.x) development line.

My motivation for insisting on a quick release of something called
"stable" is simply that otherwise it will be months before a stable
version emerges.

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

The revolution will not be televised.