Subject: CVS 'up' again

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:39:51 +0100

I have finished the work on the main trunk. All further
development goest there. The name of the tag is

  pre_beta_2_1

(I had to change the namin convention I thought about
 slightly, cvs didn't allow it).

I hope Steve will incorporate autoconf there on saturday.

What I did was:

check out:
  cvs -z3 checkout -P -d fvwm -r start fvwm

merge with branch:
  cvs -z3 checkout -P -j animicons_menupos -d fvwm fvwm

remove start tag:
  cvs update -A

commit the changes to the main trunk:
  cvs commit -m "merging for 2.1_pre_beta"

give it the new tag:
  cvs tag -c pre_beta_2_1

I see no clean way to implement the old revision numbers
into CVS. Should we do all this with tags in the future?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 30 Oct 1998 18:10:46 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> I have finished the work on the main trunk. All further
  dv> development goest there. The name of the tag is

  dv>   pre_beta_2_1

  dv> (I had to change the namin convention I thought about slightly,
  dv> cvs didn't allow it).

  dv> I see no clean way to implement the old revision numbers
  dv> into CVS. Should we do all this with tags in the future?

I guess I'm not sure why we need all the extra text in labels (tags) at
all.  The version number itself tells you what you want to know, doesn't
it?

I prefer something very simple, like:

  rX_Y_Z

where the "r" is just to start with an alphabetic char, and the others
are the obvious things.

This allows people to easily know what tag to use based on the version
of fvwm they're using: if we use descriptive prefixes like "pre_beta",
etc. we'll just confuse the issue and people will have a harder time
knowing how to obtain the files they want.

The number is unique and well-known, so that says it all and no other
descriptive text is necessary.  That's my $0.02.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Magnus & Tina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:41:47 +0100 (GMT+0100)

I guess the correct way of getting the source is:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm login
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm checkout fvwm
cd fvwm
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm checkout -P \
-r pre_beta_2_1

That is the way I did and it seemed to work. :-)

Couldn't someone post a CVS quickguide.
We can then put it on the web on the fvwm2 homepage also.

/// Magnus

> into CVS. Should we do all this with tags in the future?

      .---.        .----------- Magnus Back
     /     \  __  /    ------   Nippon Ericsson K.K
    / /     \(  )/    -----     SY/NRJ/SV/F MBK
   //////   ' \/ `   ---        [email-masked] (work)
  //// / // :    : ---          [email-masked]             (home)
 // /   /  /`    '--            +81-45-475-0418 phone
//          //..\\              +81-45-475-0040 fax
       ====UU====UU====         http://www2.gol.com/users/magnus/
           '//||\\`            
             ''``
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].