Subject: CVS info

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Oct 1998 21:22:58 -0500

Here's some CVS info:

The FVWM CVS server is served from cvs.hpc.uh.edu.  The repository is:

  :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm

If you just want to check out the current distribution, do the following:

  cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm login
(the password is 'guest')
  cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm checkout fvwm

To keep your local copy up to date, just use the command

  cvs -z3 update -dP

from the fvwm directory.  It will remember the repository location for you.

You can also check out http://www.hpc.uh.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi.  I just
installed the newest version and it is quite nice. 

CVS and its documentation is available from www.cyclic.com; check there for
more in-depth info.

For those who want to develop, you can do so simply by editing your local
copy, using cvs update to keep in sync (it will automatically merge if both
the repository and your copy of a file change at the same time).  Conflicts
may arise; check the documentation at Cyclic.com for more info on resolving
them.  You can generate patches with:

  cvs -z3 diff -u

If you want to commit your changes directly to the repository instead of
mailing patches to someone who can, you will first have to talk it out on
the list.  I'm happy to give module authors commit privileges but giving
out uncontrolled access is not the best of ideas.

You will need to choose a CVS user ID and provide an encrypted password.
The latter can be obtained with the following Perl snippet:

  perl -e 'print crypt("yourpass",join("",((a..z,A..Z,0..9)[rand(62),rand(62)]))), "\n"'

Change 'yourpass' to whatever you want your password to be.

CVS works fine over a 28.8kbps link; that's how I do all of my Majordomo
development.  It isn't exactly the fastest thing in existence but it works
quite well.
-- 
Jason L Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics 
      "I survived while Ruby died in Jackie's trashy fantasy..."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 Oct 1998 00:12:56 -0400

Can someone "in the know" generate a short description of the Right Way
to branch in CVS, and make sure everyone with write permission gets a
copy?

Speaking as someone with a lot of experience with various SCM systems it
can be an unholy mess if someone starts trampling over conventions...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:50:13 -0400

> can be an unholy mess if someone starts trampling over conventions...

Agreed.

Andy Mortimer was kind enough to show us the way.  Here is what I just
did:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm login
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/home/cvs/fvwm checkout fvwm

cd fvwm
cvs rtag animate_icons_start fvwm
cvs rtag -b -r animate_icons_start animate_icons fvwm

Made changes, added directories and new files.

For new directories and modules:

cd modules
cvs add -m  "Module for animating FVWM" FvwmAnimate
cd FvwmAnimate
cvs add -m "Module for animating FVWM" FvwmAnimate.c
(and same for rest of new files.)

and then to apply these changes:

cd fvwm (back to top of tree)
cvs commit -m "Changes for animating iconification" -r animate_icons

This looks like it has worked correctly.  To see whats happened, I did
this:

cvs status -v Imakefile

I got this:

===================================================================
File: Imakefile         Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.1.1.1.2.1
   Repository revision: 1.1.1.1.2.1     /home/cvs/fvwm/fvwm/Imakefile,v
   Sticky Tag:          animate_icons (branch: 1.1.1.1.2)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

   Existing Tags:
        animate_icons                   (branch: 1.1.1.1.2)
        animate_icons_start             (revision: 1.1.1.1)
        start                           (revision: 1.1.1.1)
        fvwm                            (branch: 1.1.1)

As you can see,  I decided to name the  start of the branch.  This  is
supposed to help you track changes you've made in  the branch and help
with merges.  I  also decided that  the branch names should be spelled
out words  separated with underscores, and the  word "start" should be
at the end.

I'm sure a lot   more CVS issues  will surface  as  we go along.   For
example, how we do merges.

I'm wondering how I   should manage the  changes  I normally  make  to
Fvwm.Tmpl for a make.  I know I don't want to  change Fvwm.Tmpl in the
CVS  tree, the commit would put  it in the tree.   Perhaps if we get a
"configure" branch, this will be less of an issue.

Anyway, I'm done for now.  Happy branching.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:54:35 +0200

Hi Jason,

> You will need to choose a CVS user ID and provide an
> encrypted password. The latter can be obtained with
> the following Perl snippet:
> ...

I have sent you an email with the uid/pwd I wanted, but
I am not sure if you got this mail. In any case my uid
seems not to be there (domivogt). Can you send me an
email so that we can get this straight?

Ciao

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883,
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 Oct 1998 11:33:02 -0400

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> I'm wondering how I   should manage the  changes  I normally  make  to
  de> Fvwm.Tmpl for a make.  I know I don't want to  change Fvwm.Tmpl in the
  de> CVS  tree, the commit would put  it in the tree.   Perhaps if we get a
  de> "configure" branch, this will be less of an issue.

Note you can create a .cvsignore file and put files in it you don't want
CVS to consider.  Not sure if this helps or not; you'd have to remember
to do it always.

Anyway, you're right; once Fvwm goes to autoconf this won't be a problem.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 09:59:23 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> I have sent you an email with the uid/pwd I wanted, but I am not sure
DV> if you got this mail.

Yes, I got the mail.  As I said in my previous message, I am doing nothing
else to the repository, including adding new accounts, until Dan completes
his branching.  He may already have; I haven't read fvwm-workers mail yet
today.

 - J<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Oct 1998 11:17:23 -0500

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> Note you can create a .cvsignore file and put files in it you don't
PDS> want CVS to consider.  Not sure if this helps or not; you'd have to
PDS> remember to do it always.

Well, the normal way to handle this is to move the file to something ending
in '.dist', add the real file to .cvsignore, and tell people that they need
to make a copy of 'whatever.dist' to 'whatever' before they edit it.

PDS> Anyway, you're right; once Fvwm goes to autoconf this won't be a
PDS> problem.

I was surprised to find this not in 2.0.47d.  I was under the impression
that is was going in to 2.0.47.

 - J<

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:35:16 +0100

> "configure" branch, this will be less of an issue.

You can specify files that arn't to be committed in a .cvsignore file
- but that's normally used for things like auto-generated Makefiles
etc.

Austin

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 14 Oct 1998 16:57:08 -0400

Something else people might consider, esp. CVS newcomers, is getting one
of the graphical front-ends like tkCVS to help you along.

There are a batch of 'em at the www.cyclic.com site.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:45:46 +0200

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Something else people might consider, esp. CVS
> newcomers, is getting one of the graphical front-ends
> like tkCVS to help you along.
> 

XEmacs/Emacs has a CVS interface too. Havenot had a look
at it, but I plan to use it.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Oct 1998 07:52:19 -0700

> at it, but I plan to use it.

It's superb-- pcl-cvs.el and its cvs-update command.  I highly recommend
it (even over Emacs' vc-mode bindings).

Greg

---

From: Todd Larason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 15:08:36 -0700

> it (even over Emacs' vc-mode bindings).

The 2.0 weird.com version is even better; cvs-examine lets you see what
cvs-update would do, and it has more complete parsing of the cvs output
(and better handling when there's something it can't parse).

ftp://ftp.weird.com/pub/local/ and coming soon in XEmacs 21.0.

---

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 23:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

> that is was going in to 2.0.47.

It's not too late!  The autoconf'd version was based on 2.0.46, and can
still be found at
	http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~stever/software/fvwm/

All "the keeper of the sources" has to do is re-apply the other changes
from .46 --> .47d to that code base. 

--
Steve Robbins                              <[email-masked]>

I'd rather have one of your minutes
than a year with all the hours in it.