Subject: Bug report

From: "Fred Maciel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:26:29 +0900

I have switched recently from fvwm to fvwm2-2.0.46, and I guess
that I found a bug. I couldn't find recent references about it in the
documentation or in mailing list (I hope that I didn't miss anything),
so here goes a bug report.
     I am currently writing a module that, for short, sends commands
to windows specified by the user by name. I am using this module to
maximize some windows (like ghostview and xfig) automatically. The
problem is that weird things are happening when I send some fvwm
commands to windows outside the current page:
- On a window at page (x,y), the current page being (a,b):
    - Maximize 0 100 makes the window move to page (x,b)
    - Maximize 100 0 makes the window move to page (a,y)
    - Maximize makes the window move to to page (a,b)
- Stick sticks the window *outside* the screen (i.e., it keeps its
  position relative to the current page, so moving to another page
  makes the window move by the same relative amount).
The routines that implement these commands are clearly assuming that
their target window is in the current page. I was able to avoid these
problems by executing Focus on the window before sending the fvwm
command.
     The problem happens for system.fvwm2rc (and other initialization
files also), so I hope that the maintainers should be able to reproduce
these bugs. By the way, the errors occur on:
- fvwm2-2.0.46 compiled with gcc 2.7.2 on Linux 2.0.0 (Slackware 3.1)
  with XF86_Mach64 from XFree86 3.3.2
- the same fvwm2 on Linux 2.0.34 (with mostly Slackware 3.1) with
  XF86_SVGA from XFree86 3.1.2
- fvwm2-2.0.46 and Linux 2.0.34 from RedHat 5.1 with XF86_SVGA from
  XFree86 3.3.2
Also, I made the errors above happen by typing commands in FvwmTalk with
my module not running, so it's not a problem in the module.
     All comments are welcome.

Yours Truly,

                         Fred Maciel
                         E-mail  [email-masked]

Disclaimer:
I don't speak for Hitachi,
I don't know who speaks for Hitachi,
I don't want to know who speaks for Hitachi.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:51:59 +0000

> to windows specified by the user by name. I am using this module to

Before you go too far with your module take a look at FvwmForm.  Sorry I
can't comment on the bugs you found.

Cheers,
Tim.