Subject: copyright/GPL

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:23:59 +0100

Hi folks,

as was discussed earlier there are copyright notices
in about 150 files. I was wondering if there is any
chance we switch the whole thing to GPL and be rid of
this copyright issue once and for all. This might mean
we (ok, I) might have to contact all people that have
copyright notices in the code (?)

Any suggestions?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883,
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Maciej Stachowiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:48:49 EST

> copyright notices in the code (?)

I checked this out once, some of them are more or less impossible to
contact, most notably the holders of the Twm copyright.

 - Maciej

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:33:25 +0100

> I checked this out once, some of them are more or less
> impossible to contact, most notably the holders of the
> Twm copyright.

Do you have a list whom you could contact (and who agreed)
and whom not (and could you send it to me) ?

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Maciej Stachowiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:45:55 EST

> and whom not (and could you send it to me) ?

Well, I started backwards in time, so the first people I tried to
contact were Evans & Sutherland who hold the Twm copyright (I think
there are like 4 files in the fvwm2 core that still have this, but
they include events.c and add_window.c so getting rid of it will be
non-trivial. The only explicit copyrights other than that are MIT's
X11-style licensed copyright, which is GPL-compatible, and Rob
Nation's stuff (I am not sure how to contact him). Of course, there
have been many other contributors to the code. Some have probably
contributed enough that their changes really should be tracked.

 - Maciej