Subject: SOS! (+ new menu position patch)

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:39:15 +0200

Hi folks,

here is a new version of my menu position patch, but before
I describe what it does I wanted to ask all of you for help:
It's been about a month now that I started sending patches
to the list, most notably my menu position patch that
modifies eight files now and is steadily growing since I
keep discovering bugs at a steady pace. I have asked several
times in this list, I wrote emails to Brady, but no one can
or wants to explain to me how the coordination of the fvwm
development works and if/how my patches can be merged into
the current version. So here I ask again:

  Can anybody tell me what I shall do with my patches? If
  there are no objections I can merge it into CVS. How do I
  do this? May I do this?

I love helping in the development so fvwm2 will get even
better 8-) But I will not continue working on it for long
without any feedback. I know that there are a few people on
the list who like my work and want me to continue. For
example I am eager to start working on tear-off menus, but
that will not happen if I do not know with wich code I
should
work. So, on the long run I see only two possible ways how
this can continue without changes in the official version:
either by splitting of a concurrent version from the one
maintained by Brady (I will never do this) or I will
eventually give up frustrated. Don't get me wrong, I am not
complaining, I just want to know what to do.

*Please* help me!

So, here goes the patch:

Problems fixed:

 1) The bug with GlobalOptions introduced by my last patch
    has been fixed.

 2) With AddToMenu the title of a menu was added to the end
    of the menu. In other words: It worked only if the Title
    was the first thing that was added to a menu. Even
    multiple titles were possible. With my patch you can add
    the title any time you want and it always goes to the
top
    of the menu. If the menu already had a title, the old
one
    is replaced. So you could give a menu a title like
    'building... please wait' while the menu is built from
the
    output of a command that takes several seconds and
change
    it to the real title afterwards.

Ciao

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883,
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:41:13 +0200

Well, I did it AGAIN. Here is the missing patch. Sorry.

Dominik

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:59:49 -0400

> complaining, I just want to know what to do.

Dominik,

  I'm glad you raised this again, I've  been meaning to bring this up,
but I've been a little busy.

  We have set up  a "public" CVS tree, but  so far haven't figured out
who should  have update  priviledges, and  who shouldn't.   I vote for
giving out   update  to anyone  who  shows a  persistent  tendency  to
contribute.  I think you qualify.

  Jason Tibbitts gives  out update passwords,  and I trust  he will be
contacting you shortly.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 1998 10:06:35 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Can anybody tell me what I shall do with my patches? If there are no
DV> objections I can merge it into CVS. How do I do this? May I do this?

I can give you write access to the repository.  Just send me the username
you want (usual UNIX semantics, 8 lowercase characters max) and a crypted
password.  You can clip it out of your password file (change your password
to the one you want to have on the CVS server, snip the second field,
change your password back) or generate it with perl:

perl -e 'print crypt("yourpass",join("",((a..z,A..Z,0..9)[rand(64),rand(64)]))), "\n"'

Change "yourpass" appropriately, of course.

Before we get any more commits going, I'd like to hear from Dan what he'd
like me to do with the repository and his current branch.  I'm happy to
reload the repository from 2.0.47d and let him rebranch first if it would
help to get things in a clean state.

We still need to work out how Brady's role as keeper-of-the-source is going
to mesh with this.  I see CVS as a staging area where things are tested
before finalized patches are sent to him for inclusion.  He may yet choose
to instead handle merges into the main branch and let CVS be the primary
copy of the source.

 - J<

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:13:44 -0400

Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:
> Before we get any more commits going, I'd like to hear from Dan what
> he'd like me to do with the repository and  his current branch.  I'm
> happy to reload  the repository  from 2.0.47d  and let him  rebranch
> first if it would help to get things in a clean state.

I'd still like to go  that way.  (Start over.)   As we saw, the way  I
applied the animations patch wasn't correct, and I'm concerned that it
will cause problems down-stream.

I know that we will have patches applied incorrectly in the future, so
I'm  not proposing  this as  a   solution for all incorrectly  applied
patches.  The other reason I want to go this way is so  we can see how
this works when done correctly.

> We still need  to work out how  Brady's role as keeper-of-the-source
> is  going to  mesh with this.   I  see CVS as  a  staging area where
> things  are  tested before finalized   patches are sent  to  him for
> inclusion.  He may yet choose to instead handle merges into the main
> branch and let CVS be the primary copy of the source.

Yes, it would be nice to hear from Brady.   I've been assuming that he
would let  CVS be the  primary copy of  the source and pick and choose
branches as he creates releases.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:30:48 +0100

Hi Dominik,
	Just been testing MP4.patch.  It looks great.  I have KP_Enter bound to
windowlist with a double click action that does a
Prev [currentdesk !iconic] FlipFocus
and it works great.  One thing that changed though is that I used to
have the keybinding as:

Key KP_Enter A N WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk, NoGeometry

and I now have

Key KP_Enter A N WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk NoGeometry my_flip

With the old syntax a comma was required between the options and now if
I leave the comma in there the CurrentDesk bit is ignored.  Is this due
to the patch you made to Parse.c?  I think what you have done is correct
but it might need to be documented to save confusion.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:22:39 +0200

> Key KP_Enter A N WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk, NoGeometry
...
> With the old syntax a comma was required between the
> options and now if I leave the comma in there the
> CurrentDesk bit is ignored.
> Is this due to the patch you made to Parse.c?

Only partly. I removed the GetToken function and replaced
all references to it with GetNextToken. GetToken was used
in by WindowList. The funny thing is that GetToken treated
all commas as whitespace, so you could have written 
'CurrentDesk, , ,,, ,NoGeometry' before. Obviously
GetNextToken treats commas as a valid character and so the
option is ignored. We probably have the same problem with
SetGlobalOptions and the other functions I changed in
builtins.c (can't remember the names). I am not sure how
this should be handled in the general case.

> I think what you have done is correct

Hmm, I will have a look at all this to see what should
or can be done to avoid problems.

Ciao

Dominik