Subject: Question about packages

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:09:16 +0100

Can anyone tell me how new packages are usually announced and 
provided on the web-server? Who does this?

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 1998 09:59:45 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> Can anyone tell me how new packages are usually announced and provided
DV> on the web-server? Who does this?

What do you mean by 'new packages'?  If you're talking important
developments or new releases, you can tell me about them and I'll update
the pages.  You can also post to the fvwm-announce list (which
pseudo-moderated; I'll add your name to the set of allowed posters).

Note that I'll be out of town all weekend, starting in a few hours.  If
there's something that needs to be done before I go, let me know ASAP or it
will sit until Monday morning.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:11:06 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 09:59:45AM -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
> What do you mean by 'new packages'?

The tared releases.

> If you're talking important developments or new releases, you can
> tell me about them and I'll update the pages.

And where should I put them? Or will you create the tar yourself?

> You can also post to the fvwm-announce list (which

That would be nice.

Bye

Dominik

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 1998 11:11:49 -0600

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> The tared releases.

Ah, actual releases.  For now, just upload them to /pub/incoming/fvwm on
ftp.hpc.uh.edu and let me know; I'll move them.  Note that you can't
download there.

I'm trying to figure out how I should set up a machine to handle this kind
of thing.  We're obviously somewhat concerned about security and lately
things like giving random folks accounts on our servers to do things like
manage web pages for the free software projects I'm associated with has
come under a bit of scrutiny.  So while I'm happy to give out accounts to
folks, I can't do it until I get one of the various spare machines I have
set up.

Once this is done we'll have a dedicated machine for CVS, web pages, FTP,
etc. and I can give folks accounts on it without worrying anyone.  You'll
probably have to use SSH to get in, though.

 - J<