Subject: ["TSUMURA TAKUMI<津村 匠>" <[email-masked]>] About including fvwm in book

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 1998 09:14:32 -0500

I thought this was spam at first, but after receiving it a second time I
see that it is not.  I'm not really clear on the FVWM license, so I'll let
the folks here decide.

 - J<

Subject: About including fvwm in book
From: "TSUMURA TAKUMI<津村 匠>" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:01:05 +0900

Dear fvwm-owner,

We, a Japanese publishing company that handles mainly computer related
books, are planning to publish the book with the following title:

Window Manager Perfect Guide for Linux (CD-ROM included)

In the CD-ROM, we would like to attach your fvwm, with your permission. 

The purpose is not the commercial use; the telecomm infra-structure for
ordinary people in Japan is still under development and they cannot make
the most of internet, especially when accessing via dial-up connection.
We want to give facilities for all the readers.

Please send your answer via e-mail to Takumi Tsumura
([email-masked]),as soon as possible!!

Thank you, 

Takumi Tsumura([email-masked])
Editor
SHOEISHA Co., Ltd.
Publishing division.
Computer publishing dept., section 3

5 Funa-machi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0006, Japan
Phone: +81-3-5362-3833
Fax: +81-3-5362-3818

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:30:58 -0400

Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]> writes:
> From: "TSUMURA TAKUMI<=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCREVCPCEhPiIbKEI=?=>" <tsumura@shoei
> sha.co.jp>
> Subject: About
>  =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCISEbKEI=?=
>  including
>  =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCISEbKEI=?=
>  fvwm in book
> 
> Dear fvwm-owner,

I think  we've  seen before  that  there  are  a number   of different
copyright notices in the  fvwm2 source.  A while ago  I think we had a
request to clean this up, but I don't remember any response.

For  the few parts of fvwm2  that I contributed, as  long as source is
distributed and the  copyright  notices are left intact,  distribution
thru any means is OK with me.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 17:23:45 +0100

> request to clean this up, but I don't remember any response.

Yes, it was me on behalf of the Debian project.  We still have an open
bug report as to whether we're allowed to distribute the manpages and
a few of the modules.

> thru any means is OK with me.

Ok, so BSD-style licence.

Austin

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:34:52 -0400

> bug report as to whether we're allowed to distribute the manpages and

I'm curious, which modules and man pages have copyright notices that
would limit your ability to distribute fvwm2?

---

From: Maciej Stachowiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:24:13 EDT

> would limit your ability to distribute fvwm2?

I don't know about Austin's specific concern, but some files in fvwm2
are (or at least were) distributed with no copyright notice or license
pointer/description at the top of the file. I always assumed these
were under the same license as the overall package or something like
that, but maybe Debian is more cautious.

 - Maciej Stachowiak