Subject: I have to quit

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Oct 1998 13:22:41 -0700

Sorry to do this, but I misjudged my ability to juggle fvwm with doing my PhD
thesis work. It would be best for everyone if we found someone else to run
things. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:03:40 +0200 (METDST)

> thesis work. It would be best for everyone if we found someone else to run
	Upss... we all were hoping it was anything but that...., now we
are at the same point as a year ago.. (well, in fact two years ago.....)
Hope someone take the work.

<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
   One O.S. to rule them all,          |  German Gomez Garcia
      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]
   One O.S. to bring them all          |
      and in the darkness bind them.   |  "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"
<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 21:53:20 -0400

Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:
> Sorry  to do this,  but I misjudged my ability   to juggle fvwm with
> doing my PhD thesis work. It would be best for  everyone if we found
> someone else to run things.

Is "run things" the key phrase?

All  I ever wanted  from "Rob/Chuck/Brady" was  some critical judgment
when  it  came  to  accepting my patches.   (Was  the  code solid, and
consistent with  the  not  overlay bloated  philosophy of  fvwm.)   To
expect the  person  "running things"   to  also  be  the primary  code
producer is just asking too much.

I was hoping that  the public CVS tree  would reduce the overhead  for
the  person "running things"  to a point where  that person could keep
their  job, personal life, and still  put together an official release
once and a while.

Would it be possible to give fvwm2 a life of its own?

I'm thinking  that the people on the  workers list could cooperate to
the  extent that when  it came time to  accept patches into a release,
all it would take is some form of consensus on the workers list.

If anyone wants to  volunteer to run  things, that would be great, but
if  that doesn't happen, my next  choice would be:  "fvwm2, brought to
you by the fvwm-workers list".

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Magnus & Tina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:33:53 +0100 (GMT+0100)

Yes why not do it like a joint list effort?

All you developers have to agree on is how to do it? :-)
How to decide what is going into the release and what is not.
Chat session, voting, agreement on the mailing list?

Maybe even split the code like for the linux kernel. One stable
and one development fvwm2.

I guess Jason Tibbitts will continue to handle mailing lists, web
site, FTP site, CVS tree, and anonymous rsync?
So what is left is code producing and desicions.

Produce code you already do, now you get to decide also.

Below is one suggestion on how to do it.
It might be a slow and bad idea but at least something to discuss I hope.

<SUGGESTION>

Three CVS branches, stable, development, hacker.

If somebody wants to add a bit of code in the development release he has to 
put it into a "hacker" CVS branch and announce it to the list.
We don't want 200k posted to the list.
If it is good enough and most people like it then it's moved 
to the development branch.

How to maintain the hacker CVS branch I don't know.
It could easily become a garbage bin. Suggestions?
Maybe by regularly replace it with the development CVS?
I guess only a few people should have access to the development
and stable CVS.
Who can be decided here.

The stable CVS only gets updated with bugfixes.

The person who has the most time when a new official release is to
be made can do it with the consent of the list.

</SUGGESTION>

/// Magnus Back

> you by the fvwm-workers list".

      .---.        .----------- Magnus Back
     /     \  __  /    ------   Nippon Ericsson K.K
    / /     \(  )/    -----     SY/NRJ/SV/F MBK
   //////   ' \/ `   ---        [email-masked] (work)
  //// / // :    : ---          [email-masked]             (home)
 // /   /  /`    '--            +81-45-475-0418 phone
//          //..\\              +81-45-475-0040 fax
       ====UU====UU====         http://www2.gol.com/users/magnus/
           '//||\\`            
             ''``
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].