Subject: I18N patches?

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:38:09 +0100 (BST)

I've had a request from a Korean Debian user to include some i18n
patches to fvwm in the Debian release.

My policy is that Debian's fvwm and fvwm2 should be as close to the
source released by the official mainainter(s) as possible, so that
people don't get misled into believeing that Debian features are
standard fvwm{,2} features.

Is anyone looking at merging some of this i18n support into the
mainline fvwm2 source?

I enclose the user's original email below.

Thanks,
Austin
------------------------------------------------------------
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Gi-Seong Eom <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi~
> 
> I've found a i18n patch for fvwm 1.24r, part of
> "fvwm-users-jp unofficial patches", done by
> <[email-masked]>.
> 
> After compiling patched source code, it works **fine** 
> when I set locale "ko" by enter the following at prompt.
>   
>  $ export LANG=ko
> 
> I think other locale set would work like this way.. 
> 
> You can view my fvwm desktop at 
> <http://screen.part.co.kr/screen2/jurist.gif>
> 
> I'd like you to use this patch at a fvwm debian release.
> 
> This patch locate at 
> CFAN(Comprehensive FVWM Archive Network?)
> "ftp://ftp.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/pub/CFAN" and
> more i18n patches are found.
> 
> need your reply.. then have a nice week with linux.. ^_^
> 
> Thank you in advance..
> 
> -- 
> 
>                   jurist with "Brute Force"
[patch deleted]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:02:44 -0400

> Is anyone looking at merging some of this i18n support into the

I don't think so, but I have some thoughts on the subject.

> I enclose the user's original email below.

I have never seen anyone on this list show interest in fvwm 1.x.

> > I'd like you to use this patch at a fvwm debian release.
...
> > need your reply.. then have a nice week with linux.. ^_^

I did find an fvwm 2.x patch:

ftp://ftp.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/pub/CFAN/patches/2.0.x/l10n-patch-2.0pl35

which looks to be seriously out of date.  Looks like it was sent
to the old list ([email-masked]) around 9/95.

I didn't  look  at the 2.x  patch.  Most  of  the 1.x  patch I saw  is
surrounded by  "#ifdef  I18N", which  might  help  convince someone to
include it.  If I was making  the decision, on whether  I was going to
include  it,  I  would   want to    see the entire    patch "#ifdef"d.
Specifically, having something like:

while(isspace(*tline & 0xff))tline++;
                     ^^^^^^
in non-international code just doesn't satisfy me.

I don't  want to  mislead  anyone, even if I    thought the patch  was
perfect, I  can't imagine why I  would spend my  time including it.  I
just don't ever use double byte characters.

Maybe  someone else on  this list  feels differently,  and my comments
will activate them...

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA (まつしたまこと) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:38:11 +0900

austin> Is anyone looking at merging some of this i18n support into
austin> the mainline fvwm2 source?

I'm the current maintainer of this i18n patch. I've tried to request
to merge this into fvwm2 source code (in the age of fvwm 1.2x and
early 2.x), but no helps. Maybe, nobody except multibyte-characters
users (such as japanese, korean, chinese, etc.) does not want to do
so, 'cause this patch makes fvwm a little bit slow on font handling.

You can find that this code is used in FreeBSD ports, x11-wm/fvwm2.
NetBSD and OpenBSD guys said that this code (i18n patch) has some
memory-leak. I've already fixed maybe, but there is no time to do
release engineering... anyway, I'll try ASAP. I've heard that there
is korean-localized (yes, just a localized) fvwm. You can check the
FreeBSD's ports repository, korean/hfvwm2.

Speaking about Debian, Debian-JP guys are already merged this i18n
patch and packaged (fvwm2-ja, version 2.0.46-3). It named 'fvwm2-ja',
however, not japanized version.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA (まつしたまこと) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:53:55 +0900

dane> I didn't look at the 2.x patch.

<URL:ftp://ftp.ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp/pub/CFAN/fvwm-users-jp/kits;type=d>.

dane> while(isspace(*tline & 0xff))tline++;
dane>                      ^^^^^^
dane> in non-international code just doesn't satisfy me.

I forgot about that, but some compilers/C-preprocessors may confuse if
not masked with 0xff. I do NOT also satisfied with this code... however,
it should be needed in some environments (sigh).

dane> I just don't ever use double byte characters.

I think so too :-) I18N code is slow for north american and european,
so it should be ignored :-)

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA