Subject: I'm back, reqesting updates

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 15:15:18 -0700

Ok, as people noticed, I kinda disappeared for a while. Sorry about that, but
I was swamped.

Could somebody give me a status report on what's happened. Looking through my
back up fvwm-workers mail, it seems that the CVS tree is up and
running. I really like the http access. 

There are a lot of bug fixes posted to the fvwm-workers list. Does anybody now 
which of these are currently in the CVS tree? 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 17:29:46 -0500

>>>>> "BM" == Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:

BM> There are a lot of bug fixes posted to the fvwm-workers list. Does
BM> anybody now which of these are currently in the CVS tree?

The only changes that have been made to CVS are those than Dan made, and I
don't think he did anything other than branch and check in his Animate
module.  (Currently I get a commit report, but I'm the only one that sees
it.)

Currently you, Dan and I are the only ones with checkin privileges.  I may
ask Dan to make a few notes on what he did to make his branch so that more
folks with hacks they'd like to work on can do so.  I know we had more than
a few problems until we figured out how to do it.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:24:20 +0200

Hi Brady,

> Could somebody give me a status report on what's happened.

I have posted some pretty large patches a few days ago (menu
positioning hints & FvwmButtons geometry, both with lots of
bugfixes). It was a lot of work so I would appreciate if you
could have a look at them very soon and tell me what should
happen with them. I don't want to do the menu patch again with
another version (it's a patch to 2.0.47d) since I spent at least
two weeks on this one.

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:04:31 -0400

> a few problems until we figured out how to do it.

I  can share what I did,  but I'm pretty sure,   what I'm doing is not
quite  correct.  Everything downloads correctly,  but  it just doesn't
seem like its doing what it should be.

I started with:

cvs tag -b animate_icons

For new modules:

cd modules
cvs add -m "New" FvwmAnimate
cd FvwmAnimate
cvs add -m "New" FvwmAnimate.c

This commits the adds, plus any other changes in the tree:

cd ../..
cvs commit -m "New"

When I had to make changes and commit a module previously committed,
I had to force the tag onto the change:

cvs tag -F -b animate_icons module.c

Its this last part that I don't think is right.  It seems to me, there
should be a way to  say, I'm working on  a branch, any change I commit
is on that branch and should be tagged that way.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Andy Mortimer <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 1998 14:17:19 +0100

Hi Dan,

I've used CVS a little, although not in this setup; I hope the info
below is useful.

> seem like its doing what it should be.

(Presumably having already checked out a copy of the source?)

> cvs tag -b animate_icons

At this point, you should do a
   cvs update -r animate_icons
to migrate your local CVS tree to the animate_icons branch.

> cvs add -m "New" FvwmAnimate.c

IIRC the -m switch to "add" sets the file description, unlike to
commit. So if you want to use it (I never have) you should probably do 
something like
  cvs add -m "Module for animating FVWM" FvwmAnimate

> cvs tag -F -b animate_icons module.c

This is because CVS thought you were still on the main branch, rather
than the animate_icons branch, because you hadn't done the update step 
above.

Personally I tend to reverse the order of the first couple of steps,
and do something like

cvs rtag -b animate_icons fvwm
cvs co -r animate_icons fvwm

to set up a new branch. If you are interested in the changes which you 
have made on your branch (as distinct from the diffs between your
branch and the current latest stuff), you should also apply a separate 
tag to the beginning of the branch, like so:

cvs rtag animate_icons_start fvwm
cvs rtag -b -r animate_icons_start animate_icons fvwm
cvs co -r animate_icons fvwm

You can then see what *you*'ve changed using the command

cvs diff -r animate_icons_start -r animate_icons

This start tag can also be useful for merging back to the mainline
version when you've finished on that branch.

Hope this helps,

Andy

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:22:03 -0400

Andy Mortimer <[email-masked]> writes:

...

Andy makes lots of good suggestions on how to do this correctly.

I wouldn't mind having the tree restored and re-applying animate_icons
as  described.  I think  this  might help keep the   source tree in  a
cleaner state.

I think  we should also collect some  of the recent patches  and apply
them  in  2 different  branches and  attempt to  merge  them to create
2.0.47e.  I can volunteer for one of the patch branches.  Perhaps the
"move_window_core_file" patch.

If  we are  still  focusing on creating   the "official" release,  I'm
guessing we  will want  to keep "animate_icons"  out  of  the official
release.

If  we  apply animate_icons  first, then patches  from   more than one
source, and then merge the patches while  holding out animate_icons, I
think we can get a better hold on how this is going to work.

PS: I'm not done with animate_icons.  Right  now I'm trying to get the
module to accept  config commands   as  its running, not just   during
start-up.   I also want  this module to  create  its own configuration
menus and allow for saving its current configuration in a file.