Subject: Last newmenus patch (including last Dominik's patch:)

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:07:50 +0200 (METDST)

Here it is, the last version, this is a patch against a clean 2.0.47d.

<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
   One O.S. to rule them all,          |  German Gomez Garcia
      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]
   One O.S. to bring them all          |
      and in the darkness bind them.   |  "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"
<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:36:07 -0400 (EDT)

> 	Here it is, the last version, this is a patch against a clean 2.0.47d.

A few problems:

1.  The patch is reversed.

2.  This will not work with existing .fvwm2rc files that contain
    MenuStyle commands.  Thus, .fvwm2rc files may need to be edited to
    make this work.

3.  New additional fields in the MenuStyle command aren't documented
    very well.  For example, what's "stipple" and what does the "next
    (xxxx)" thing do?

4.  The fvwm2 man page is NOT updated with the new MenuStyle syntax.

5.  One patch didn't work.  This was in builtins.c:

@@@ start builtins.c.rej
***************
*** 3343,3350 ****
  void SetColorLimit(XEvent *eventp,Window w,FvwmWindow *tmp_win,
                     unsigned long context, char *action,int* Module)
  {
-   long val1;
-   int val1_unit,n;
    
    n = GetOneArgument(action, &val1, &val1_unit);
    if(n != 1) {
--- 3758,3764 ----
  void SetColorLimit(XEvent *eventp,Window w,FvwmWindow *tmp_win,
                     unsigned long context, char *action,int* Module)
  {
+   int val1,val1_unit,n;
    
    n = GetOneArgument(action, &val1, &val1_unit);
    if(n != 1) {
@@@ end builtins.c.rej

    Note that the data type:  long changing to int.

    Since the variable is passed as a pointer, and on my platform
    (Digital Unix T5.0), sizeof(long) != sizeof(int), this can cause
    all sorts of problems!

5.  I patched (-R) this onto a pristine fvwm2.0.47d, and modified the
    MenuStyle command using one of the examples in README.Style file.
    The result was a core dump of fvwm2 (running on Digital Unix T5.0):

    (dbx) where
    >  0 SetBorder(0x12001e91c, 0x8000d9, 0x1400077a0, 0x140007828, 0x1) [0x12000df44]
       1 HandleFocusIn(0x12001e5ec, 0x1400079b0, 0x1400077a0, 0x1400055a0, 0x1) [0x12001e96c]
       2 DispatchEvent(0x1400077a0, 0x1400055a0, 0x1, 0x140007828, 0x12001e6a0) [0x12001e634]
       3 HandleEvents(0x12001e6a0, 0x8000d9, 0x120022628, 0x0, 0x1400077a0) [0x12001e69c]
       4 main(0x3ff80016ce0, 0x140065010, 0x0, 0x140065010, 0x12000b1a0) [0x120022624]
    (dbx) q

I've reverted back to my unmodified 2.0.47d fvwm2, and the core dump
doesn't happen.

Maybe your "last version" patch needs just a bit more work?

-- 
Larry Gensch					      [email-masked]

               "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:36:28 +0200

Hi German,

> Here it is, the last version, this is a patch against a

Thanks, could you by any chance give me a short description
how your patch works? (what/how it does).

Bye

Dominik
-- 
Dominik Vogt, Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/14-4596, fax: 07031/14-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:02:41 +0200 (METDST)

Sorry, the patch is not the final version but a previous version, that 
shouldn't be released, sorry again, I will post the "final" version 
probably with a man page update tomorrow or even tonight.
	For now take a look at the README.* they will explain somethings,
and for those people testing it in systems others than Linux + x86, please
I would like to see complete bug reports.

PS: Note the new mail address, please update your addressbook, and reply to
it, my current Pine version don't let me add the Reply To: header so... 
do it by hand please.

      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]