Subject: feature request: faked clicks under RC control

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:01:24 +0100 (BST)

In the Debian bug system, Wakko Warner <[email-masked]> writes:

> I know there's config options to allow mouse movements, but there's
> not for mouse buttons.  I don't know how hard this would be...  More
> likely this will be forwarded to upsteam maintainer/author.

I take it the usual arguments about synthetic X events apply here,
yes?

Does SCWM allow clicks to be faked from the rc file?

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Aug 1998 15:10:20 -0700

> Does SCWM allow clicks to be faked from the rc file?

Yep, we have such a primitive.  See:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/cassowary/scwm-doc/c01r209.htm

for the docs on it.

Greg

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 10:52:36 -0400

> http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/cassowary/scwm-doc/c01r209.

Nice online docs!

Clicking on the link to the source code gave me:

Netscape unable to find the file or directory named:
/scratch/gjb/scwm/scwm/events.c

I never understood the issue with  synthetic events.  I thought it had
something to  do with some applications not  accepting them.  Has this
feature caused any problem with Scwm?

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Aug 1998 14:24:11 -0700

> > http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/cassowary/scwm-doc/c01r209.

Thanks -- they're still rough around the edges, but we extract directly
from the source code and it's turned out to be a *huge* win.

> /scratch/gjb/scwm/scwm/events.c

Yep, I know -- those links are mostly just for me, right now.  Once I
work up the install procedure to install the html documentation, then
I'll make options for permitting specification of where the source code
is so that the links will work if you install locally.

> feature caused any problem with Scwm?

Right, lots of applications ignore synthetic events because they are a
security hole.  E.g., xterm, by default, ignores them.  It's caused some 
confusion w.r.t. people not realizing they need to turn on "Allow
Sendevents" in an xterm for them to work.

The original reason I implemented the mouse-button send-events was so I
could follow a link in Netscape w/o touching my mouse.  Netscape does
permit synthetic mouse events, so it's never been a problem for me.

Greg