Subject: Re: NewMenus patch almos finished, ready to be posted.

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jul 1998 09:25:15 -0700

German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]> writes:

> 	Well, I have finished integrating my patch into the new 2.0.47c, it 
> changes lots of things in menus.c and builtins.c but it was easier to 
> apply it than I had expected. I'm waiting for Brady Montz answered to my 
> previous question about including it in the first stable version (I think 
> the code is very stable, even more than current menu code, that by the 
> way segfaults in MenuInteraction while processing the isgraph() function, 
> I have replaced it by the old code in 2.0.46). The problem with my patch 
> is that it changes things a lot, and may be Greg J. Badros wouldn't like 
> it but.....

I haven't looked at the patch, but I don't like the idea of new patches
being applied so late in the game.  If Brady and others like the
changes, maybe the code can be integrated into the development tree.

In the meantime, you're right that there is a bug in the isgraph() --
some vendor-supplied isgraph() functions just do an indexed lookup off
the passed in argument, and will segfault (linux's doesn't have this
problem).  My working version has this fixed -- just add:

isascii(keysym) &&

before each call to isgraph(keysym) (there are three, all in menus.c).

Brady, this is essential to do before release-- it is a bug with an easy 
fix.

> 	I will post it tomorrow after a bit of testing so everybody in this 
> mailing list could test it against their config files.
> 
> PS: Greg I'm having problems with the popdown of a menu when other menu 
> is popped from it (I mean rootmenu->the_menu_give_problem->child_menu) 
> which doesn't get popped down correctly and is just keep there, this only 
> happen with my new style :( which is very similar to MWM, at least in the 
> way it handles popdown menus, if you have changed something related with 
> this issue I should know please notify it to me, thanks.

I can't tell what the problem is without looking at your code, and
probably won't have time in the near future to do so, unfortunately.
Just beware that the menuing code changed a lot under the hood since
2.0.46, and use only the new code as a reference as to how things work.

Good luck!

Greg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 01 Jul 1998 13:29:03 -0400

%% Greg Badros <[email-masked]> writes:

  gb> I haven't looked at the patch, but I don't like the idea of new
  gb> patches being applied so late in the game.

I agree 5,000%!  :)

We simply _MUST_ get a new version of fvwm2 out.  Fvwm2 has never
actually had an "official" release, just betas, that's why so many
people are still using (and vendors still shipping) Fvwm1.

As I've said here before, lengthy release cycles are very vicious.  We
have to get the "first" release done, and all work should be geared
towards attaining that goal as quickly as possible.  In the past we've
never gotten to "release" point for precisely this reason: it takes long
enough that someone has a "must have" change, then there's a round of
bugfixing, etc. and it just goes on and on.

A line must be drawn; at this point, major changes like this, no matter
how desirable, simply _MUST_ wait.  Hey, I'm giving up on getting
autoconf support for Fvwm 2.2, remember!  :)

All IMO, of course.

Hopefully when Jason gets back he can set up a CVS tree, then new
features can be integrated on a development branch.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 14:05:07 -0400

>   gb> patches being applied so late in the game.

Paul,

  I'm in the same camp, possibly at about 3,000%.

  Since FvwmEvent issues have come up, I would be  in favor of putting
FvwmAudio back  into the release.  so  that the FvwmEvent  issues that
have come up don't defer the  "official" release.  (Leave FvwmEvent in
too.)

  Want an example of things that  broke with the removal of FvwmAudio?
The  fvwm2 man  page, one of   the sample  fvwmrcs.  I haven't  looked
everywhere.

  Of course,  there is another  side to  this, "leave  out everything,
except my features".  But we really do have to  be careful what we add
or subtract in this case.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jul 1998 11:22:56 -0700

> or subtract in this case.

I think it's simple.  Bug-fixes only.  The unique complication is that
some of the bugs are missing patches that people have been using
reliably for a long period of time.  Brady's got a hard job taking over
from Chuck at such a late date!  (Three cheers for Brady!)

Greg