Subject: Re: fvwm 2.0.47c released

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 01:02:39 -0400

Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:
> I've put 2.0.47c at:
...
> Changes since version b:
> 
> 	25. Added FvwmEvent module (successor to FvwmAudio). Replaced
> 	    FvwmAudio with a program which prints out message to use
> 	    FvwmEvent. 

FvwmEvent doesn't support being invoked with an optional second
argument as a substitute to being sym-linked.

The code to do so is quite simple, if argc = 7, use argv[6] as the
program name.  FvwmForm is a good example.

Since Fvwmevent is so generic, it needs this feature at least as
much as FvwmForm.  Besides I think it should be considered a standard
part of the module interface.

I am trying to start FvwmEvent with FvwmAudio as the second argument
to minimize what I change in my config files.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Albrecht Kadlec <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jul 1998 10:30:38 +0200

> argument as a substitute to being sym-linked.

nor did FvwmAudio.

I'm waiting for the module_setup() function to handle this for any module.

I imagine using argv[1] as name replacement
if not supplied argv[0] is used.
the next two args are the pipe handles, so there can't be any confusion.

The module_setup() function should adjust argc & argv, so that the module
just has to parse its own parameters.

> program name.  FvwmForm is a good example.

It'd be just a temporary fix with the module setup to be consolidated
anyway, although I'd do it if enough people request it. 
(request mails to me) 

> part of the module interface.

yep. and module writers shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, but share
code. 
 
-- 
Albrecht Kadlec
Vienna University of Technology / Department of Automation
----------------------------------------------------------
Hit any user to continue ...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:58:14 -0400

> I imagine using argv[1] as name replacement

Right now argv[6] is the name replacement.

> yep. and module writers shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, but share

Sounds reasonable.

I didn't want to wait, so I changed my copy of FvwmEvent.

I then went on to do this:

#*FvwmAudioPlayCmd audioplay
#*FvwmAudioDir /opt/sounds
*FvwmAudioCmd "Exec cd /opt/sounds;audioplay"
AddToMenu "Module-Popup" "FvwmEvent - Audio" FvwmEvent FvwmAudio

This worked, but   I question  if  the  need  for  quotes  around  the
"*FvwmAudioCmd" is  the behavior you intended.   I don't see it in the
man page.  (It may be implied,  but I didn't pick  it up.) The problem
is  that  when the command   is  parsed,  its   parsed by  a  call  to
GetArgument().  This  pulls one token out  of the "*FvwmAudioCmd" line
null terminates it and uses it as the command, the rest of the line is
ignored.