Subject: fvwm-2.0.47d released

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jul 1998 12:27:14 -0700

I've released 2.0.47d at ftp://fozzie.cs.arizona.edu/pub/fvwm

Changes from c:

1. Put FvwmAudio back

	27. Changed Fvwm.tmpl to use the CCENVSETUP Imake variable when
	    building executables to fix problem where run-time load path
	    wouldn't be set correctly on solaris.
	28. Added Albrecht Kadlec's SetupModule() routine to fvwmlib.
	29. Integrated MouseFocusOnStartup patch.
	30. Put my fvwm configuration in sample.fvwm/BradyMontz.

Still a bunch of bugs to fix.

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 16:11:44 -0400

> 	30. Put my fvwm configuration in sample.fvwm/BradyMontz.

Builds and runs fine on Solaris 2.6 with Sun's compiler.
I no longer see the no-keyboard-focus problem on startup.

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 02 Jul 1998 17:57:23 -0400

%% Brady Montz <[email-masked]> writes:

  bm> Still a bunch of bugs to fix.

Are you keeping a list anywhere of the stuff you want to have fixed
before 2.2 goes out?  It would be nice if people could see where the
effort is needed to get it done.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: brian moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:27:38 -0700

> I've released 2.0.47d at ftp://fozzie.cs.arizona.edu/pub/fvwm

Okay, finally nailed it.... :)

There's a long standing core-dumping evil bug in FvwmAudio that I
finally nailed with Bounds Checking:

FvwmAudio.c:436:Bounds error: illegal pointer used in pointer arithmetic.

That of course, is bad.

The code (with line numbers)
434             while (1)
435             {
436                 if ((count = read(fd[1],header,
437                                   HEADER_SIZE*sizeof(unsigned long))) <= 0)
438                     done(0);

and the fun one from backtrace:

#5  0x804953c in Loop (fd=0x2074736f) at FvwmAudio.c:436

That's 'ost ' on an Intel bass-ackwards chip: looks like a stack
smashing.

A bit of digging near &fd and I see:
0xbffff6a0 <_serv_stayopen+3086390984>:  " `\013\bNetscape: FAQ: If the
IP address or host name of a name server needs to be changed, do all the
domains and network r"

There's the 'ost ' as part of 'host name'.

So, I dig around a bit more:

(gdb) print &fd
$10 = (int **) 0xbffff734
(gdb) print &body
$11 = (long unsigned int (*)[24]) 0xbffff698

Hrrrm... looks like body is overflowing.  There should be a check in
FvwmAudio (and probably elsewhere) to make sure the reported body_length
is < MAX_BODY_SIZE... but then we'll have to resync somehow, which will
be fun, no doubt.

Or it could get rid of that pesky fixed size buffer that will break on
long names, which is probably the best bet.

It looks like the code in FvwmEvent to discard the body will fail on
this as well: it will require a buffer large enough to hold the longest
window title possible because it keeps changing the offset into body[]
instead of really discarding the data.  Or it should have a patch like
the one below for FvwmAudio...

> Still a bunch of bugs to fix.

Yep.

-- 
Brian Moore                             Kill A Spammer For Jesus
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal