Subject: [ANNOUCEMENT] fvwm 2.0.47 status and request for volunteers

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 1998 09:55:47 -0700

status report:
-------------
Good news, I passed my prelims yesterday.
Mixed news, I'm flying to Des Moines to visit my dying grandma (sad part) and
eat lots of corn-fed prime rib (happy part).

So, I haven't gotten much done on 2.0.47 except look it over, and won't until
at least next week.

volunteer request:
-----------------

I'd like two things:

1. A list of people who want to alpha test. Along with a name I want to know:
  a. architecture/OS used
  b. modules used (me: FvwmM4, FvwmButtons, FvwmIconMan, FvwmIdent)
  c. "extensions" used (things with defines in Fvwm.tmpl) (me: shape,
     miniicons, pixmap buttons, titlestyle)

People on this list will get to alpha test the new release (probably future
releases too) and will be expected to give a complete testing/report (reminder 
email sent after a week). Sounds like fun, eh? 

2. A repository of fvwmrc's on the website (along with all icons, scripts,
   etc.  used and a list of any environment variables and options in Fvwm.tmpl
   which need to be set so that people can just run them without going mad)
   organized by features. So if someone wants to use some fvwmrc's using
   gradients, they can find them. It would probably also be cool if people
   submitted "truncated" fvwmrc's which only had the configuration for some
   module, for example, all of their *FvwmButtons lines long with any Style
   commands which modify how FvwmButtons looks. I would like to have a
   volunteer to get this running too. This volunteer (unlike those poor souls
   for #1) would probably get lots of happy feedback. 

-- 
 Brady Montz
 [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Chris Rode <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 12:26:14 -0500 (CDT)

>    for #1) would probably get lots of happy feedback. 

I have a page with several fvwm configuration examples on it.
(http://www.public.iastate.edu/~crode/fvwm).  However, I have come to
realize over the last several months (almost a year) that the page hasn't
been updated, that I don't have the time to keep maintaining it -- that,
and I have switched to enlightenment on my main machine.  I also have
several fvwmrc submissions sitting around that haven't yet been added to
the page.  If whoever volunteers to take on Brady's second request would
like any/all of these, please get in contact with me.  Thanks. :)

--chris.

---

From: German Jose Gomez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 20:13:44 +0200 (METDST)

I will do it, I'm using Linux (usually last dev kernel version) with
gcc2.8.1 + latest binutils + glibc2.0.7pre3 + XFree 3.3.2 (Waiting 
eagerly for next versions of everything :). I use mainly FvwmPager + 
FvwmButtons although I would use any other if it's necessary or usefull. 
I compile Fvwm with all options enabled (I mean all Fvwm.tmpl options 
enabled)

PS: Have you received my patch to *improve* menu look with a new menustyle
concept?

<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
   One O.S. to rule them all,          |  German Gomez Garcia
      One O.S. to find them.           |  [email-masked]
   One O.S. to bring them all          |
      and in the darkness bind them.   |  "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"
<>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>

> status report:

......

---

From: Brady Montz <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 1998 14:48:14 -0700

> PS: Have you received my patch to *improve* menu look with a new menustyle

No. I'd prefer to wait on that until I've released 2.0.47 and set up a public
CVS server, and let you put all your stuff in yourself.

---

From: Root of all Evil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 12:19:41 -0400 (EDT)

: status report:
: -------------
: Good news, I passed my prelims yesterday.
: Mixed news, I'm flying to Des Moines to visit my dying grandma (sad part) and
: eat lots of corn-fed prime rib (happy part).
: 
: So, I haven't gotten much done on 2.0.47 except look it over, and won't until
: at least next week.
: 
: volunteer request:
: -----------------
: 
: I'd like two things:
: 
: 1. A list of people who want to alpha test. Along with a name I want to know:

That is what fvwm-workers was created for. It was named after "bind-workers"
and others to do what you are suggesting. I guess you are suggesting that
fvwm-workers is too open of a list, and gets used as the fvwm list on a
regular basis...

:   a. architecture/OS used
:   b. modules used (me: FvwmM4, FvwmButtons, FvwmIconMan, FvwmIdent)
:   c. "extensions" used (things with defines in Fvwm.tmpl) (me: shape,
:      miniicons, pixmap buttons, titlestyle)

These are the things that should be reported after compiling and testing
reports are sent back, not before. These things will change over time, as
systems and OS releases come and go. I currently have access to 13
combinations of Vendor and OS. 

: 
: People on this list will get to alpha test the new release (probably future
: releases too) and will be expected to give a complete testing/report (reminder 
: email sent after a week). Sounds like fun, eh? 

Expected is a bit too strong in my view. Everyone here is a volunteer, and
have to interleave their paid or scholastic work for "internet projects".

I do believe that a format in which to report results is important. However
an individual who is active for several alpha runs, my only be able to
monitor the testing reports during others.

: 
: 2. A repository of fvwmrc's on the website (along with all icons, scripts,
:    etc.  used and a list of any environment variables and options in Fvwm.tmpl
:    which need to be set so that people can just run them without going mad)
:    organized by features. So if someone wants to use some fvwmrc's using
:    gradients, they can find them. It would probably also be cool if people
:    submitted "truncated" fvwmrc's which only had the configuration for some
:    module, for example, all of their *FvwmButtons lines long with any Style
:    commands which modify how FvwmButtons looks. I would like to have a
:    volunteer to get this running too. This volunteer (unlike those poor souls
:    for #1) would probably get lots of happy feedback. 
: 

I agree in that I have had alot of difficulty in the past getting some
examples to do anything like what was intended. However too much work will
tend to keep people from donating their creative ideas. I have gained much
from reading "fvwm2rc" files that will never run correctly at my site.
Maybe this says something about the portability of the .fvwm2rc file, which
may or may not rely on built in defaults or features of fvwm2.
At a minimum, I find a screen shot(s) most helpful to determine weather
further perusal of ones fvem setup is waranted.

Thank you "Brady Montz", for taking the gauntlet. I support over 1000 Unix
workstations of various flavors upon which fvwm2 is the default window
manager. There are many things fvwm2 does well and many it could do better. 
The whole "dt/mwm" proliferation is the outcome of the vision that "fvwm" 
and "t*wm" provided as heterogeneous window managers.

And thank you "Chuck" for picking up the gauntlet and caring it when you
did, when the future of fvwm was in doubt. I have enjoyed working with you
and other fvwm-workers during your stint in supporting fvwm2. 

I hope to provide help as I can. In the right window of opportunity I can
provide alot of feedback.. at other times less. I hope this type of
contribution will be accepted, and allowed to add when it can, monitor when
it can not.

Randall