Subject: submenu positioning bug with MWM-style menus

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:55:20 +0100 (BST)

Yet another fvwm2 bug from the Debian archives :)

This happens if you have MWM-style menus enabled, and you put a menu
with submenus on a window menu button (eg using:

Mouse 0 3 A Menu /DebianMenu Nop

for a suitably defined "/DebianMenu" containing other menus)

The further to the right of the menu button you click, the further
offset to the right any submenu of "/DebianMenu" is.  Deeper submenus
off the first submenu popup in the right place, it's just the first
submenu to popup that has this unsightly gap between it and it's
parent. The spacing seems off only in the x-axis, not the y-axis.

I've been able to reproduce the bug myself, using fvwm2 2.0.46.

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Apr 1998 17:03:13 -0700

> I've been able to reproduce the bug myself, using fvwm2 2.0.46.

Hopefully Chuck will have time to integrate my major changes to the
menuing code which fix all sorts of problems (especially with keyboard
traversal) in the stock fvwm2 menuing code.  I imagine this goes away
with my changes (but can't test it easily -- I use scwm now).

Greg

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:05:37 -0400 (EDT)

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Badros <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Yet another fvwm2 bug from the Debian archives :)

Your users do seem to find a fair number of them...

>> I've been able to reproduce the bug myself, using fvwm2 2.0.46.

Greg> Hopefully Chuck will have time to integrate my major changes to
Greg> the menuing code which fix all sorts of problems (especially
Greg> with keyboard traversal) in the stock fvwm2 menuing code.

Actually your menu changes have been in my development copy for quite
some time now so they'll definitely be in 2.0.47.

Greg> I imagine this goes away with my changes (but can't test it
Greg> easily -- I use scwm now).

Seems to - I can't reproduce this behavior in my development version.

Chuck

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:53:19 +0100

> Your users do seem to find a fair number of them...

I think it's because they're encouraged to file bug reports.  My job
is simply to filter poor bug reports, reproduce them if possible, and
then send you guys a proper bug report :)

In an attempt to win the "Most Tedious Email of the Year, 1998" award,
I now list the outstanding bugs we have on fvwm2:

#5736: fvwm2: spaces in Restart command
   Parser doesn't strip spaces correctly.  "Restart  foo" will
   attempt to exec " foo".  Note the extra space.

#10862: fvwm2: restarting fvwm2 reverses the z-order of windows
   I supplied a patch fixing this a while ago.  It's not the z-order
   that gets reversed, its the order of window creation.

#11174: fvwm2: crash fvwmbuttons by changing xterm title
   I haven't been able to reproduce this.

#11463: fvwm2: Race condition in fvwm2 icon box
   Icons don't always appear inside the iconbox.  I haven't been able
   to reproduce this.

#11824: fvwm2: strange things with focus
   If using SloppyFocus and FvwmAuto and pulling down an emacs menu,
   the menu is be hidden when the main emacs is raised.  Generic
   problem with FvwmAuto, really.

#11886: fvwm2: pager not showing window, icon probs, raise/lower
   Really 3 separate bugs.  Only the last one I've been able to reproduce.
   1) Sometimes pager doesn't show window when it's mapped.
      Moving window makes it appear.
   2) xfmail icon disappearing.
   3) raiselower with only overlapping borders does wrong thing.

#13146: fvwm2: FvwmButtons won't swallow window
   Not reproduced.

#14163: fvwm2 edgescroll behaves badly
   EdgeScroll setting of anything other than 100 100 is enough to
   reproduce this.

#14236: fvwm2: EdgeResistance doesn't work any more with 2.0.46
   Not reproduced.

#16143: fvwm2: FvwmWinList drifts off screen
   There's been some discussion on this list recently.

#18576: fvwm2: Fvwmbuttons are eating processor time
   Not reproduced (but not tried).  Apparently happens if you kill X
   server with ctrl-alt-backspace.

#20444: fvwm2 moves windows when it is restarted
   Not reproduced (not tried), but others claim to see it (esp with
   xterm).

The following bugs I believe to have already forwarded details to
this list:

#8774: glitch in windowlist menu
   *foo* in windowlist menu looks for icon.  Maybe not too desirable,
   esp with emacs "*scratch*" buffer.

#9769: fvwm2: SkipMapping loses current focus
     Style *     ClickToFocus
     Style test  StartsOnDesk 1, SkipMapping
   then "xterm -name test" is enough to reproduce.

#14791: fvwm2: MenuStyle should default to fvwm not mwm
   This is really to do with menus near the right hand side of the
   screen screwing up.  Greg's stuff fixes this, I think.

#16040: fvwm2: PipeRead should set extra environment variables
   Like M4 stuff: eg TWM_TYPE = fvwm2, WIDTH = 1152, HEIGHT = 900, etc.

Other feature requests:

#8785: fvwm2: Athena is not movable by static interface components

#8954: fvwm2: FvwmPager doesnt update in realtime with window moves

#11356: fvwm2: Can't specifiy colors for iconified programs

#20831: fvwm2: wishlist: fvwm pager balloon patch

#21097: fvwm2: IconBox 'gravity' patch would be nice

The full details on each bug is available off:
    http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/lfvwm2.html
This page also list bugs that specific to the Debian packaging of
fvwm2, which aren't actual bugs in the upstream code.

Austin

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Apr 1998 08:41:57 -0700

> some time now so they'll definitely be in 2.0.47.

Excellent.

> Seems to - I can't reproduce this behavior in my development version.

Even better!

Greg

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 16:31:32 -0400 (EDT)

On 24-Apr-98 Austin Donnelly wrote:

> ...

        I believe this is the problem corrected by my DontFocusOffscreen
patch, submitted last fall sometime. It may still be in the
unofficial_patches directory, and can also be fetched from my unofficial
patches page at

                http://www.pcnet.com/~proteus/Fvwm/FvwmPatches.html

        I haven't discussed this one with Chuck lately, but I would guess
he's probably had it, or a version thereof,  in his development system for
some time and that it would be slated for 2.0.47.

        Time permitting, I'll take a look at a couple of the other items
in your list this week.