Subject: 2 problems with 2.0.46

From: [email-masked] (Greg Klanderman)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:31:05 -0500

I've been using fvwm 2.0.46 for several months and have 2 nits:

First, it seems to not be possible for focus to be set on an iconified 
window.  In twm, it is possible to send keystrokes to a window through 
its Icon Manager button, whether the window is iconified or not, but
not in fvwm.  I talked to the FvwmIconMan author about this, he seemed 
to believe the problem is in fvwm proper.  I tried to play around in
gdb, but only managed to wedge myself trying to debug fvwm while it
was managing my session.  Is there some sane way to do this without
locking things up?  My XEmacs gdb window lost focus while fvwm was
stopped and I was completely hosed.

I was looking at the lines
 
>   if((Fw)&&(Fw->flags & ICONIFIED)&&(Fw->icon_w))
>     w= Fw->icon_w;
 
from fvwm/focus.c, thinking this might be the problem, but Fw->icon_w
seems to be NULL when IconMan is managing the window.  

Second, I have keystrokes bound to switch between desks.  When I
switch desks and the mouse lands in a non-sticky window, that window
gets focus.  However, if it lands in a sticky window, the window does
not get focus (no window gets focus).  Is this a known bug?

Sorry if these have been answered previously.  I tried to look through 
the archives on your web pages, but they are miserably slow from here.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know
if you need additional information.  And keep up the great work!

Greg
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:23:41 +0000

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Greg Klanderman wrote:

[debugging fvwm with gdb]

As you've found, it's quite hard debugging a window manager :)

What I do is run gdb within an xterm (possibly even within an "emacs
-nw" in the xterm).  I do a "secure keyboard" to do a keyboard grab,
and then fear no more from the window manager :) It's clearly not a
suitable way of debugging the keystroke processing logic, however.
For that, I have the luxury of virtual consoles under linux: I leave
the gdb on a text console.

Austin

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 03 Feb 1998 09:28:32 -0500

Whenever I want to debug a window manager or similar X app, I simply use
the Xnest server.  That works _MUCH_ better and is not nearly as
difficult to use.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Feb 1998 08:17:45 -0800

Under Linux, I often run a second X-server on console 8 when I'm
debugging fvwm2 or SCWM; don't try it unless you have at least 20MB of
main memory, but if you do, it's a real joy.  A second machine is also
an option for some (and is the only option besides Xnest on machines
which won't run 2 X servers).

Greg J. Badros
[email-masked]
Seattle, WA  USA
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb