Subject: animated menu feature for FvwmButtons

From: Jui-Hsuan Joshua Feng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 10:40:42 -0600

Hi there,

I've been working on the animated menu feature for FvwmButtons.
It works. There is still something to be done about the terms
and the way I use to specify the animated menu (or panel). Where
and how should I submit the code (based on fvmw2's FvwmButtons)?

Check the web page:

http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~fengj/unix.html

There is some information about the result. Before I make any
more effort on this, I would like to know people's opions about
it (or people swith to KDE nowadays?). Thank you.
  
-- 
Jui-Hsuan Joshua Feng                         (O)608/262-3640 
Electrical & Computer Engr, University of Wisconsin - Madison    
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~fengj           [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 14:12:48 -0500

>>>>> "JHJF" == Jui-Hsuan Joshua Feng <[email-masked]> writes:

JHJF> Hi there,

Hello.

JHJF> I've been working on the animated menu feature for FvwmButtons.
JHJF> It works. There is still something to be done about the terms
JHJF> and the way I use to specify the animated menu (or panel). Where
JHJF> and how should I submit the code (based on fvmw2's FvwmButtons)?

JHJF> Check the web page:

JHJF> http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~fengj/unix.html

JHJF> There is some information about the result. Before I make any
JHJF> more effort on this, I would like to know people's opions about
JHJF> it (or people swith to KDE nowadays?). Thank you.

Hm.  From the screen shot it looks pretty good.

Although, as you alluded to, the Panel specification and invocation
syntax may need improvement for consistency with the rest of the
FvwmButton syntax.  Perhaps something like a 'Panel' keyword with
matching 'End' (with the ability to specify overriding values for
various things) to define the panel, something like this (modifying
your example):

  *FvwmButtons(Panel(Name "Applications", Title "Apps", Columns 1,\
                     Back Grey))
  *FvwmButtons(1x1 Frame 1 Title(Left Side) Acrobat, \
               Action 'Exec /usr/local/lib/Acrobat3/bin/acroread')
  ...
  *FvwmButtons(End)

And then make it's invocation be something other than 'Panel', perhaps
'PopupPanel', 'PanelButton', or 'ShowPanel', like this:

  *FvwmButtons(3x1 Nosize Frame 1 PopupPanel 'Applications')

Just some thoughts...

As for how to submit the code, mailing a patch to the fvwm-workers
mailing list is fine, or putting it off your web page is better if it
is sizable.  I've grabbed your current version and will look at it
when I get a chance.

Chuck

--
*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].