Subject: Annoying flash when changing icon pixmap

From: "Mattias Engdegård" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:22:03 +0100 (MET)

When changing icon pixmap from within a program, fvwm2 destroys the current
icon window and creates a new one with the new pixmap, even if it has the
same size. This causes:

a) an annoying flash as the icon is removed/recreated
b) a possible jump to a different location on the screen
c) the new icon window is placed on top of any window that was previously
   over it.

It should be trivial to check if the new icon has the same size as before,
and then just repaint it, but I must admit that browsing the source scared
me off for an instant (lots of global variables and tmp_win and stuff).
So, before I start hacking, has anybody already solved this problem,
or is it a bad idea to do so?

For reference, mwm handles the problem quite well.

Please CC: any replies to me, as I cannot afford to subscribe to yet another
mailing list. (sorry about that)

-- 
Mattias Engdegård					[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:44:00 -0500

> c) the new icon window is placed on top of any window that was previously

If the icon changes, isn't the last item (c) desirable?  Ie: it might
be trying to tell you something?

> or is it a bad idea to do so?

I don't have any icons  that change size.  I  used to use a version of
"live-icon" with XEmacs, that did that, but  I couldn't stand it, so I
fixed it.  So I guess its a good idea.

> For reference, mwm handles the problem quite well.

If I remember mwm correctly, doesn't it force all icons to the same size?

> mailing list. (sorry about that)

If you really want to try code changes, I would suggest looking at the
icon placement logic after applying my iconboxes patch.

I  think I've cleaned   up the code   quite a bit,   and added lots of
comments:

ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/unofficial_patches

--
Dan Espen                                Phone: (732) 699-5570
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].