Subject: MenuStyle mwm woes

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:22:35 +0000 (GMT)

In a Debian BUg report, Karl M. Hegbloom <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> The MWM style menus have poor behaviour at the right edge of the
> screen.  If you try XEmacs, GIMP, or Windows 95, and opened a menu
> near the right edge of the screen, you will see that they flip to the
> opposite side, rather than opening right under the pointer on you.
> 
> The fvwm style menus don't pop up until you fly over the arrow, which
> makes them much better at the edge.

Isn't someone looking at the menu code, with a view to cleaning it up?
Could they take this into account when they're in there  - ta!

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 1997 15:41:05 -0800

> Could they take this into account when they're in there  - ta!

I did a major rewrite of the windowing code on 2.0.45;  the patch is
available on my web patch under "patches".  Last I heard Chuck was
planning on integrating my changes into the standard release, but I
don't know what his plans are or when he expects to have the time that
it'll take.  The menuing code rewrite eliminated a lot of bugs, and
added animated menus and win95-like drawing code configurably.  It's
biggest improvement is in keyboard handling-- cursor down goes to the
next item, cursor right pops up a submenu, etc., instead of just
simulating mouse moves lock the stock menu code.

Also, try #define-ing LEFT_MENUS in the stock code;  it'll give you
"popup to the left when at the right edge of the screen" behaviour (but
everything else is still broken badly, IMHO).

Greg J. Badros
[email-masked]
Seattle, WA  USA
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:34:40 -0500

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Badros <[email-masked]> writes:

....
Greg> I did a major rewrite of the windowing code on 2.0.45;  the patch is
Greg> available on my web patch under "patches".  Last I heard Chuck was
Greg> planning on integrating my changes into the standard release, but I
Greg> don't know what his plans are

Still planned for 2.0.47.

Greg> or when he expects to have the time that it'll take.

Hmm...  Now that's the truly tough part, especially considering my
"recent" track record.  But fear not, I'll make the time...

Chuck