Subject: Re: Thoughts on a GNU configuring scheme

From: Steve Robbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:59:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Steve Robbins wrote:

> If nobody else has done it yet, I'm quite willing to do a bunch of the
> grunt work: generating configure.in, and the makefile stuff.  However, it
> needs to be tested, etc, and eventually the maintainers will have to be
> comfortable with editing the Makefile.am's (akin to Imakefiles).
> 
> So: what is the state of autoconfigure for fvwm?  If someone has done the
> work, I'll be happy to test it at my lab :).  If not:  I hacked on it for
> a couple hours last night.  However, it's not done yet, and even when it
> is, it will be very rough; hence it will need brave souls to test. :) 

Hi again,

A few people expressed interest in having FVWM autoconf'd, and nobody said
they'd already done it.  So I went ahead and did the "grunt work".  

It's rather rough, but it is enough to build & install fvwm on the systems
I've tested: linux 2.0, irix 5, sunos 4, and dec OSF/1.  

HOWEVER: in each case, I had gcc & all the GNU stuff installed.  So it
really needs to be tested on some non-GNU systems.

Here's the top of the README.  Please take a look & tell me your thoughts.

			Compiling autoconfigured FVWM
			-----------------------------

All one needs is the standard 2.0.46 distribution for fvwm and the
patch kit.  The latter is available at

	http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~stever/software/fvwm

or by emailing me.

Then there are five easy steps:

    1. Unpack the fvwm distribution: tar xzf fvwm-2.0.46.tar.gz 
    2. CD into it: cd fvwm-2.0.46 
    3. Unpack the patch kit: tar xzf .../autoconf-kit.tar.gz 
    4. Run the script: autoconf-kit/runme 
    5. ./configure && make

			What the Kit Does
			-----------------

The biggest change, of course, is that all traces of Imakefile stuff
is removed, replaced by all kinds of autoconf detrius.

In general: all the options formerly contained in the files Fvwm.tmpl
and configure.h got replaced by options to the "configure" script.
Hopefully the correspondence is clear: use "configure --help" for a
complete list of options.

I've not touched anything in the following subdirectories: docs,
extras, and icons.  None of that appears to be used in the current
Imakefiles, anyway.  I also didn't do anything with sample.fvwmrc: one
has to install that file by hand, currently.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].