Subject: MouseFocusClickRaises and undecorated transient windows

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:59:02 -0400

I noticed on fvwm 2.0.46 on my Linux and also SGI/IBM boxes that when
I have the global option MouseFocusClickRaises enabled, am using
MouseFocus, and not using the DecorateTransients style with the mouse
bindings given in the standard system.fvwm2rc that I cannot move
transient windows, such as the Alt+F in Netscape.

I think I've narrowed it down to the MouseFocusClickRaises globalopt,
but even so it seems to be the result of combination of options, which
I hope can be duplicated with the following procedure.

To duplicate this, use the following procedure:

1. Start with the standard system.fvwm2rc that would normally get installed
from fvwm2 2.0.46

2. Remove DecorateTransients from the Style "*" line

3. Add a 'GlobalOpts MouseFocusClickRaises' line somewhere near the beginning

4. Restart with this rc file

5. Run Netscape and type Alt-F (or Edit/Find, please use this test, as
it seems it to occur on application-type transients only) and try to
move the transient window (it won't move here)

6. Remove or comment out 'GlobalOpts MouseFocusClickRaises' line, and restart fvwm2

7. Run Netscape and type Alt-F again, and this time see if you can move the
transient window (I can here)

I'm not sure if this was discussed before.  I haven't had anytime to
look into why this occurs.

--
Regards,
Andrew Veliath
[email-masked], [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 02:33:10 -0400 (EDT)

On 29-Sep-97 Andrew Veliath wrote:
>  when I have the global option MouseFocusClickRaises enabled, am using
>  transient windows...
>  but even so it seems to be the result of combination of options...

        Followed your directions, and can duplicate the situation exactly.
I can see where the code in HandleButtonPress (events.c) goes astray,
exiting prematurely without checking to see whether there are functions 
bound to the mouse event, when you have the combination of an undecorated 
transient, MouseFocus, and MouseFocusClickRaises. So it's not just unmovable,
it won't respond to any function you may have bound to a mouse action on
the window borders. I need to understand a little more about just what's
going on at this point to offer a fix. Perhaps I'll have some time in the
next couple of days to look into it a little more deeply.

        Cheers,
        Bob