Subject: X11::Fvwm 0.3 released

From: "Randy J. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:21:45 -0600

Wed Apr 30 14:18:55 MDT 1997

Version 0.3 of X11::Fvwm has been uploaded to PAUSE, and should propagate to
CPAN servers over the next few days.

This is the first beta release. Not all planned features are in, not all
data packet types are yet correctly identified and dissected. The interface
style and overall functionality are now fairly stable, and drastic changes
should be minimal from this point on. Changes in this version are listed below.
There are not a lot of changes, as 0.2 was pretty clean.

>From the README file for 0.3:

X11::Fvwm version 0.3 (beta 1)

WHAT IS IT?

This is a Perl 5 extension to simplify writing Fvwm2 modules in Perl 5. Not
only in Perl 5, but with either the Tk extension or the Xforms library as
your GUI choices!

This requires fvwm 2.0.45 or better, and perl 5.002 or better. It is
very highly recommended that you also install the latest version of Tk
(which is Tk400.202 as of this writing) or X11::Xforms (0.7 or better),
also available from CPAN.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Fvwm2 has a very well-defined module API, to allow the brunt of non-core
window-manager work be done by external modules. X11::Fvwm is a layer over
this interface, allowing you to use Perl rather than C as the language for
developing these modules.

When fvwm launches a module, it sets up file descriptors for two-way
communication, and proceeds to occassionally broadcast data packets to
those modules that have asked to receive the given data type. The modules,
in turn, can send commands back to fvwm, including requests for more (and
more specific) data, operation on windows managed by fvwm, etc.

PROBLEMS/BUG REPORTS

Please send any reports of problems or bugs to [email-masked]. I wouldn't
mind a short note to know that you're using this, just so I can justify its
continued development :-).

CREDITS AND LICENSES

This package is copyright (c) 1997 by Randy Ray ([email-masked]) and may be
distributed under terms of the Artistic License used to cover Perl itself.
See the file Artistic in the distribution of Perl 5.002 or later for details
of copy and distribution terms. All rights reserved.

>From the Changes file for 0.3:

* Only major change: The use of asterisk (*) to specify directives to the
  getConfigInfo method has been deprecated in favor of the dash (-). You will
  currently be warned when getConfigInfo encounters the old style, but the
  first official release (whenever I reach a stable 1.0) will remove this
  entirely.

* Tentative support of X11::Xforms (version 0.7 or later) added.

* More demo scripts added.

* Some minor cleanup here and there. Little of this, as 0.2 was pretty stable.

* All *.pm have documentation (though some demos still need it).

--
===============================================================================
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)595-2869
                Denver, CO                                     [email-masked]
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept." --Calvin
===============================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].