Subject: Problem w/ Mouse Resources at Initialization causes X-Server Crash

From: RICK FLOWER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:38:08 -0800 (PST)

I sent out a message a few weeks ago (or was it last week), describing a
problem that I was having with the latest version (and some older versions)
of fvwm and my "beta" version of an X server that runs on the Macintosh.. 
Anyway, I sent a bug report (to the X server company -- White Pine) due to 
the severity of the problem with the X-server (it would crash the X server 
completely 99% of the time).  Anyway, I got back a response today that I 
thought I might pass along to someone here -- in hopes that it might make
sense to somebody :

======== BEGIN EXCERPT ============
The other problem you were seeing with fvwm has also been discovered
inhouse and is fixed for the final release. We duplicated the problem with
fvwm and fvwm92-2. I will download the version you mentioned and see if it's
also repeatable. 

Apparently there is a problem with fvwm that tries to relinguish resource
to the mouse pointer before it takes posession of it which is not a proper
thing to do and causes exodus to crash. Our engineers put a work around
the problem in the final release.
======== END EXCERPT ============

Does this make sense to anyone -- apparently, this doesn't bother all servers!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this out there...

-- Rick
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].