Subject: X11::Fvwm 0.1 (alpha 1) uploaded to PAUSE

From: "Randy J. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:31:06 -0700

(Please note headers if replying. This is being sent to multiple mailing lists,
and the Reply-To: is changed to a different address, the actual support address
rather than this address, which is just a matter of convenience)

* * *

Version 0.1 of X11::Fvwm has been uploaded to PAUSE, and should propagate to
CPAN servers over the next few days. In the meantime, the beginnings of a
web page for the package resides at:

	http://www.byz.org/~randy/perl/X11::Fvwm

like the package itself, this page still needs work :-). But it does include
the module manual page, a snapshot of a sample Tk-based application, and will
soon have links to download the module through CPAN sites.

This is an alpha release. Not all planned features are in, not all data
packet types are yet correctly identified and dissected. The interface
style and overall functionality are still subject to drastic change before
this moves into beta.

>From the README file for 0.1:

X11::Fvwm version 0.1 (alpha 1)

WHAT IS IT?

This is a Perl 5 extension to simplify writing Fvwm2 modules in Perl 5. Not
only in Perl 5, but with the Tk extension as your GUI library!

This requires fvwm 2.0.45 or better, and perl 5.002 or better. It is very
highly recommended that you also install the latest version of Tk (which is
Tk400.202 as of this writing), also available from CPAN.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Fvwm2 has a very well-defined module API, to allow the brunt of non-core
window-manager work be done by external modules. X11::Fvwm is a layer over
this interface, allowing you to use Perl rather than C as the language for
developing these modules.

When fvwm launches a module, it sets up file descriptors for two-way
communication, and proceeds to occassionally broadcast data packets to
those modules that have asked to receive the given data type. The modules,
in turn, can send commands back to fvwm, including requests for more (and
more specific) data, operation on windows managed by fvwm, etc.

PROBLEMS/BUG REPORTS

Please send any reports of problems or bugs to [email-masked]. I wouldn't
mind a short note to know that you're using this, just so I can justify its
continued development :-).

CREDITS AND LICENSES

This package is copyright (c) 1997 by Randy Ray ([email-masked]) and may be
distributed under terms of the Artistic License used to cover Perl itself.
See the file Artistic in the distribution of Perl 5.002 or later for details
of copy and distribution terms. All rights reserved.

Randy
--
===============================================================================
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)595-2869
                Denver, CO                                     [email-masked]
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept." --Calvin
===============================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].