Subject: More on the Perl 5 API to Fvwm2

From: "Randy J. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:15:08 -0700

Well, I've tripped over some interesting glitches that tempt me strongly into
letting go of backwards-compatibility and opting instead for a more OO model
to the interface. For example:

* You InitModule() with a specific mask that *does not* include M_CONFIG_INFO
  and/or M_END_CONFIG_INFO. Now call GetConfigInfo(). And wait. And wait...

So now you have to add in those elements to the mask. But you don't *want*
them, so why should I force you? And as far as I know, I can't retrieve the
mask from the server, so I have to store it at the time of InitModule. And as
it is, I am running into way too many package-globals. I'm thinking I'd rather
have X11::Fvwm be a class, and store this stuff as instance variables. Then I
lose any illusion of backwards-compatibility.

Another thing... is there a version of docs/modules.tex in a format other than
TeX? I don't have TeX installed, and I really don't want to install it for just
one document. I'd even settle for plain ASCII.

Note: I am copying this to someone from the perl5-porters list who helped me
choose a name that fit in with the rest of the perl5 modules collection. He is
an fvwm user who is interested in this extension, so I could use his feedback
as well.

Randy
--
===============================================================================
Randy J. Ray -- U S WEST Technologies IAD/CSS/DPDS         Phone: (303)595-2869
                Denver, CO                                     [email-masked]
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept." --Calvin
===============================================================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].