Subject: Fvwm2 configuration tool

From: Janne Kontkanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 03:07:56 +0200 (EET)

We are developing fvwm2 configuration tool for easy and fast configuration of
colors, menus, mouse, virtual desktop, etc. We are aware of dotfile generator,
but this is going to be something different. The aim is to allow configuration
to be at least as comfortable as in MS-Windows or Amiga OS.

Unix-philosophy - everything should be editable by hand - will be respected.
Configuration tool reads your old configuration file and doesn't change it
any other way that you would if you edited the configuration by hand. This
would be ideal for beginners to get their system 'decent-looking' and by
time they would maybe want to edit the file by hand for changing some
more exotic feature of fvwm. 

We are using xforms library for gui - so the outlook is quite slick. 

Enough adverising - to the point. We are hoping that it would be possible to 
co-operate with fvwm-developers, so that our tool will not be outdated allready 
when the initial releas comes out. That means we would be happy to know if
there will be changes in configuration tags/commands in near future (?).
And also if you are a skilled programmer with some spare time, contact us.

Wouldn't it be nice to include configuration tool to fvwm distribution...

[email-masked] (Suggestions, opinions, anything... )
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Tobias Oetiker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 20:55:55 +0100 (MET)

> We are using xforms library for gui - so the outlook is quite slick. 

before you start  check out qt www.troll.com

its free for free software and comes WITH source !!!!

cheers
tobi
--
 ______    __   _
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL:+41(0)1-6325286  FAX:+41(0)1-6321194
/_/ \___/_.__/_/ [email-masked] http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker

---

From: Hile Tuohela <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:34:06 +0200 (EET)

>its free for free software and comes WITH source !!!!

Yes, but it's for C++... well maybe configuration tool can be
written in ++ and other tools with C.

How is your configuration tool going to respect multiple 
configuration files? Our fvwm2 reads first a system file, which
defines architecture dependent things (ModulePath for example, we 
have same configuration files for Digital unix, linux i386 & linux alpha),
then reads Styles, Bindings, Icons, Menus and Functions, all from
different files, and in between reads appropriate user files from
$HOME/.fvwm2 This way we can offer users a standard fvwm setup, which
they can tweak with their own files, while still reading everything 
they don't want to change from system files. Files are splitted,
because I have a submenu Read Resources under menu Fvwm, from which
you can read all configuration files seperately without restarting.

I think fvwm should have a standardised structure for splitting 
of the configuration files, so that we could write config apps
that can handle them. Look at my files, it's not perfect but works..
http://www.iki.fi/fvwm-docs/fvwmconfig.tgz includes my script to start 
fvwm2 and all config files, including my own settings from $HOME/.fvwm2

My files have some caveats. They should use a environment variable
to define resources-dir, not M4 defines, and many other problems.

	* hile *