Subject: Re: fvwm-2.0.44-almost, finally...

From: Don Mahurin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:56:06 -0500

One bug that seems to have been missed:  

        When you have icons with no images.  When they are moved, they     
        disappear. (they come back by toggling screens)

        Chuck, I thought someone had a fix for this.

And also werent we going to get rid of(make option) cursor warping with menus(
ex: at bottom of screen)?

Compiling went smooth on SunOS 4.1.13, gcc. Had to link stdarg.h to vararg.h.

All else is good so far. Good work.

Don Mahurin
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:46:45 +0000

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Don Mahurin wrote:

> And also werent we going to get rid of(make option) cursor warping
> with menus( ex: at bottom of screen)?

I have an outstanding bug report related to this.  It is against
1.24r, but I've verified that it happens on 2.0.43 as well.  I will
try and get a fix for it, time permitting.

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Peter Benie wrote:

|> From: [email-masked] (Peter Benie)
|> To: [email-masked]
|> Subject: fvwm misplaces windows
|> 
|> Package: fvwm
|> Version: 1.24r-25
|> 
|> There is a problem with the interaction between fvwm's menus and
|> window placement routines that can lead to windows being moved
|> off-screen unintentionally. If that window is a sticky window which
|> has 'WindowListSkip' set, it is not possible to bring the window back
|> onto the screen.
|> 
|> To reproduce the bug:
|> 
|> 1) Create a menu for the window decorations that is quite long and has
|> 'move' near the top.
|> 
|> 2) Create a window that is shorter (along the y-axis) than the menu
|> and place the window at the bottom of the screen.
|> 
|> 3) Click on the window border to activate the menu. The menu will be
|> displayed with the bottom of the menu at the bottom of the screen and
|> the pointer will be warped to the top of the menu.
|> 
|> 4) Click on 'move' on the menu. You may now move the window using the
|> mouse, and the pointer will be above the top of the window. (You may
|> place your window off screen because of the offset.)
|> 
|> 5) If you do not move the pointer after clicking on 'move', the
|> pointer will be warped to the border of the window, however, the
|> offset described in (4) is still in effect. If you click without
|> moving the mouse, the window suddenly moves so that the distance
|> between the window and the pointer is correct. This may mean that the
|> window is misplaced off-screen.
|> 
|> Peter Benie
|> Cambridge Engineering Design Centre

> Compiling went smooth on SunOS 4.1.13, gcc. Had to link stdarg.h to vararg.h.

Compiling ok out of the box on Red Hat 4 linux 2.0.21.  I haven't had
a chance to run the produced binary, however.  I get a few warnings
due to assignments to "const" variables, which I might try to track
down if I get the time.

I will be making the Debian fvwm-2.0.44 package as soon as you release
the final version :)

Pretty cool, folks!

Austin

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:02:31 -0500

>>>>> "Don" == Don Mahurin <[email-masked]> writes:

Don> One bug that seems to have been missed:

Actually, several were "missed", and I fessed up to that:

> It does not contain all of the fixes and stuff that I wanted to get in
> there, but it's close enough for now (check out the ChangeLog entry).

I was taking WAY too long and I wanted to get the fixes that I had
ready out there to keep from getting the same bug reports over and
over...

Bassically, here's the rest of what I wanted to look into for this
release, but didn't (I should have put this in the original note):

        -  Menu cursor warping now optional

        -  Fixes for Dec Alpha (OSF & Linux) compiles

        -  Added setenv function

        -  Brought back 1.xx CursorStyle command (based on old patch
           from Kit Smithers)

        -  FvwmM4/Cpp fixes/updates based on patches from Greg Badros
           and Daniel Henninger

        -  Added ability to invoke any module with an alternate name

        -  Focus now moves window onto desktop, if it's off the desktop
           completely?

        -  Fixed prob w/ moving icons that don't have pixmaps if
           opaquemovesize set too low?

        -  Fixed UseStyle to allow "" for styles with spaces

        -  FvwmDebug was missing some stuff

        -  Patches to multi head code, from Barry Warsaw?

        -  Fixes for Restart
        -  Fixes for certain ICCCM focus policies?

        -  Reintroduced BackingStore options from 1.xx (global)?

        -  FvwmPager now resizes based on scale, can show only specific
           desk (like current), plus dynamic adding of desks via
           sendtomodule?

Don>         When you have icons with no images.  When they are moved,
Don>         they disappear. (they come back by toggling screens)

Don>         Chuck, I thought someone had a fix for this.

If someone did, I don't remember seeing it.  As noted above, I had
planned to look into that...  I'll search the archive later for any
patch for it, but if someone out there knows about one, let me know.

Don> And also werent we going to get rid of(make option) cursor
Don> warping with menus( ex: at bottom of screen)?

Again, planned, but not implemented yet.  It'll be done for 2.1.0
definitely though.

Don> Compiling went smooth on SunOS 4.1.13, gcc. Had to link stdarg.h
Don> to vararg.h.

Really?  That doesn't seem right.  SunOS doesn't have it, but stdarg.h
should be in your gcc distribution.

Don> All else is good so far. Good work.

Cool.

Thanks,
Chuck

---

From: Jeppe Buk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 20:45:47 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

[This has been sent to [email-masked] (FvwmScript
 maintainer) too]

To make FvwmScript (in the extras dir) compile I needed to change the name
of the function 'send_clientmessage' in Widgets/Swallow.c. This worked,
but I guess it would be better to integrate Swallow.c with the conflicting
definition.

Otherwise a module with *great* potential (haven't seen it before now).

Regards,
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeppe Buk
Student of Computer Science / Student Programmer
IMADA, Odense University                          Phone:   +45 6557 2347
DK-5230 Odense M.                                 Email: [email-masked]
Denmark                                WWW: http://www.imada.ou.dk/~buk/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hot Java! found -- Operator's coffee is being heated on his cpu!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 97 15:35:41 +0100

>>>>> Charles Hines writes:

C> Again, planned, but not implemented yet.  It'll be done for 2.1.0
C> definitely though.

I had a fix for this in my monster patch (as a menu-style option)
- didn't make it to 2.0.44-almost. 
Maybe it should be a global option instead ?

albrecht
-- 
But when it comes right down to it, there's no use trying to pretend
For when it gets right down to it, there's no one here that's left to blame,
Blame it on me, you can blame it on me
we're just sugar mice in the rain		-- Marillion
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].