Subject: fvwm 2.0.44, finially

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 16:49:17 -0500

Ok, at long last 2.0.44 is ready and available from the official ftp
site:

      ftp://ftp.hpc.uh.edu/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.0.44.tar.gz

and looks like:

-rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      657705 Jan 15 15:24 fvwm-2.0.44.tar.gz

I think I got all the patches that the workers list sent me from their
preliminary testing of it (I hope I got them all) so it should compile
and run under all the platforms nicely.

There are a lot of changes in this beta release, as you'll see from
the ChangeLog entry below:

======================================================================
2.0.44
       1. More man page and FAQ updates
       2. More minor Imake fixes
       3. Patch for IconGeometry placement problems and probs running
          on multiple displays from Graham Barr
       4. Changed Next/Prev 'CurrentScreen' to be 'CurrentPage' and
          added 'CurrentPageAnyDesk', based on patch by Dan Niles
       5. Updated FvwmIconMan from Brady Montz
       6. Fix so FvwmGoodStuff in extras would compile ok
       7. Added Perl routines (fvwmperl in extras dir) for aid in
          making modules written in Perl, from Dan Astoorian
       8. Hopefully fixed long standing startup timing bug in which
          some windows didn't get Style attributes or borders (by
          fixing when server was grabbed and making sure it didn't get
          ungrabbed to early accidentally)
       9. Added FlipFocus function from Dan Niles, to toggle between
          two windows easily
       10. Patch for EdgeResistance timer problem from Mike Blatchley
       11. Patch to FvwmAudio so it works again (new module message
           type M_STRING wasn't recognized) plus other minor fixes and
           enhancements (like being able to use the rplay 'say'
           command and have arbitrary strings instead of sound file
           names), from Albrecht Kadlec
       12. Fixes to FvwmConsole from Toshi Isogai, plus added his
           FvwmCommand to the extras directory (for sending fvwm
           commands from a shell script).
       13. Patch for dynamic icon title recalculation from Ric Lister.
       14. Updates to fvwmrc_convert from Bill Oswald, with some more
           minor mods from me to make it easier to customize for your
           site.
       15. Added 'Echo' function.
       16. Patch to FvwmForm to handle TrueColor from Chris Laas
       17. Changed fcntl in module.c to use O_NONBLOCK (POSIX) instead
           of O_NDELAY (early SYSV) due to differences in behavior on
           some systems (Pyramid SYSV for instance, pointed out by
           Mark Wedel)
       18. Added Python routines (fvwmpython in extras dir) for aid in
           making moduules written in Python, from Barry Warsaw
       19. FvwmBacker now sets root window when it's invoked as well
           as on desk changes
       20. CatchFatal no longer makes XLib calls (to prevent some
           infinite looping under Digital Unix & Solaris), patch from
           Grant McDorman.
       21. Added Andrew Veliath's TitleBar pixmap patch (optional at
           compile time)
       22. Added patch for timing bug in pager when dragging windows
           across desktops under Solaris from Grant McDorman
       23. Added RefreshWindow function, at the request of Mike Kazda.
       24. Changed default XORValue to 1
       25. Changed SmartPlacement behavior to be "stubborn" (like 1.xx
           StubbornPlacement option) and not place over icons (if you
           don't want this you can compile with NO_STUBBORN_PLACEMENT).
       26. Added extras/FvwmScript (which replaces extras/FvwmForm2)
           from Frederic Cordier (although I think it should be
           renamed to something like FvwmFormScript).  It can now
           swallow programs like FvwmButtons.
       27. Sample .fvwm2rc updates, default system.fvwm2rc file now
           minimal to encourange site customization, added more sample
           files to go with it.
       28. Added info to FvwmIdent
       29. Added MiniIcon patch from Brady Montz (optional at compile
           time)
       30. Added BorderStyle border textures (+ TitleStyle, UseDecor,
           etc) patch from Andrew Veliath, part of which was inspired
           by the idea from 'The Rasterman' Carsten Haitzler (optional
           at compile time)
       31. Consolidated Recapture and CaptureAllWindows
       32. Fixes for unmapping problems (patch from Grant McDorman)
       33. Removed redundancy in module.c in Broadcast* funcs.
       34. Multiple -f & -cmd parms now allowed (10 max)
       35. Merged fvwmlib code into some common files, and moved some
           functions out of fvwm proper into them.
       36. Added GlobalOpts builtin (for various options that should
           become Style options later) - this is temporary.  I know
           it's ugly, but I didn't feel like adding 6 (or more)
           temporary functions (lazy, I know...)
       37. Added (GlobalOpts) global option
           SmartPlacementIsReallySmart (may become parm to
           SmartPlacement, or whole new CleverPlacement style after
           the Great Style Flag Rewrite) which uses clever placement
           code from Anthony Martin
       38. Started adding new parsing code based on ideas in patch
           from Albrecht Kadlec, for more consistent parsing.  More
           and more code in fvwm will be converted to use these...
       39. Added WindowListFunc and made built in window list use it
           by default (instead of RAISE_IT), to allow for various
           actions to be controlled by the builtin window list (like
           to warp the pointer or not warp the pointer when giving it
           the focus, or perhaps do something like run FvwmIdent on
           it).  It is interpreted, so you can destroy it and write
           your own version of this default WindowList function.
       40. WindowList now takes reasonable optional parameters instead
           of those cryptic numbers (including an optional function to
           use instead of the default WindowListFunc), based on patch
           from Albrecht Kadlec.
       41. Added WindowId function, sort of like Next & Prev, to force
           a function to happen on a specified WindowID.
       42. Updated FvwmAuto from Albrecht Kadlec (now takes parameters
           for functions to be run on focus in & focus out).
       41. Read funcs now output what they are going to execute if
           -debug parameter was passed in.
       42. Should now be sending synthetic ConfigureNotify on stacking
           changes (for potential motif menubar problems).
       43. Added WindowShade function from Andrew Veliath
       44. Added (GlobalOpts) global options to modify ClickToFocus
           selections: ClickToFocusDoesntPassClick/PassesClick,
           ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/Raises (may become parms to
           ClickToFocus after the Great Style Flag Rewrite)
       45. UseStyle should now parse quoted Style refs correctly,
           courtesy of Andrew Veliath.
       46. Added Randall Winchester's CLICKTORAISE compile time option patch
       47. Patch from Greg Badros for FvwmButtons font coredump
       48. Patch from Greg Badros so FvwmM4 passes opts not recognized
           directly to M4 (so -m4opt not needed) and -outfile option.
           Added these to FvwmCpp as well.
       49. Fixes for compiling under Linux for DEC Alpha from Ilkka E
           T Tuohela
======================================================================

And this is NOT all of the stuff I wanted to get in there, but the
rest can wait until the next release, so don't complain too loudly if
your favorite fix didn't make it this time.  It was taking way too
long to get 2.0.44 out the door.

I won't give my usual commentary on these changes as there are way too
many and I have little time right now.  But the most visible ones are
probably the optional BorderStyle/TitleStyle/UseDecor stuff from
Andrew Veliath.  BTW - I'd like to get some examples of usage from
people who make interesting looking setups for inclusion in 2.1.0.

I'd like to make this the last beta before 2.1.0 (have we heard this
before?) if I could.  So if anyone has any suggestions on what they
feel absolutely needs or should be done before 2.1.0 (I do have a few
things in mind already), let me know (preferably via the mailing
lists).

Ideally I'd like to get 2.1.0 out in a few weeks, but as always
that'll probably have to be pushed farther out due the frequent
scarcity of my free time in which to work on fvwm...

As always, I'd like to say thanks to all patch/idea contributors, the
folks on the workers list, and of course, all you users too. :)

Chuck

ps - I've finially gotten around to putting html-ized versions of the
man pages on the web server.  I'll try to keep them updated with each
release as well.  Unfortunately the converter I used (man2html)
doesn't do internal hyperlinks, but it looked much better than any of
the other converters I found (although RossettaMan was close, as I
recall).

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Cristian Tibirna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 00:25:15 -0500

Hi everyone (and happily we are A LOT!)

Even I still didn't sleep this week and even still I have waaay long to 
work on some annoying urgent projects, I was REALLY excited to receive 
this evening the announce of 2.0.44 from Chuck.

Well, I'm enchanted and enlightened :-). Quite a BIG job, so well done 
by all of you bussy fwvm-workers. A heartly THANKS for Chuck Hines.

So, I compiled and installed the new version without any hick-ups. I had 
already all the beautiful/useful patches about styles and 
functionalities which are so carefully mentionned by Chuck in the 
announcement. I am pleased to say that the new binary restarted with my 
old .fvwm2rc without any major error.

The only misfunction I was able to detect so far is that the FvwmAuto 
module fails silently to keep along with the imposed timeout.

More precisely, when one starts or restarts fvwm2, the autoraise occurs 
AFTER the indicated timeout only for the first window which gains the 
focus. After that the autoraise takes place instantly at the focus 
change.

I tried to impose Nop for LeaveCommand, but unsuccessfully. So, until 
new (upgrade :-) events I put back the old FvwmAuto.

Now a little thing. It will be too hard to put a compile time selectable 
functionality in FvwmButtons which to provide ... tooltips on buttons 
according to the Action's Titles? I once begun myself to look at the 
code but meanwhile my time begun very (physically :-) transparent ... I 
would like this because I use some 17 20x20 buttons with SouthEast 
gravity in which I have calls for all my most useful applications and 
also a very little (and cute) swallowed pager. Such little buttons can't 
have titles on them. But almost each button has actions on all three 
mouse click events and so it happens that sometimes I have to remember 
what is where.

So, this very long and quite annoying post finishes here. Thanks again 
to all of you that spent time on this excellent WM. I really like it.

"See" you later

				Cristian

---

From: Ian Spielman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:19:34 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
	Whenever I run FVWM and have it use a mini-icon X crashes and 
gives the message:

waiting for X server to shut down xterm:  fatal IO error 2 (Broken pipe) 
or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
.

This crash is generated when I do (for example):
AddToDecor ian
        + ButtonStyle 1 Pixmap buttons/w95_min.xpm

However if I use buttons/w95_min.xpm as an application's icon it works, 
so the pixmap file is good. Fvwm95 fails in the same way with mini-icons.

Related, perhaps, is the fact that FvwmButtons doesn't work. It runs, 
spawns its children and quits, leaving the child processes all over the 
place.

I am not sure what is up, everything else on my system works fine.

it is linux 2.0.27 with XF86_S3 3.2. 

Ian

*************************************************************************
*Ian Spielman                                                           *
[email-masked]                                                       *
*http://hepserver.nhn.ou.edu/~spielman/                                 *
*************************************************************************

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 10:07:05 EST

%% "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]> writes:

  ch>        44. Added (GlobalOpts) global options to modify ClickToFocus
  ch>            selections: ClickToFocusDoesntPassClick/PassesClick,
  ch>            ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/Raises (may become parms to
  ch>            ClickToFocus after the Great Style Flag Rewrite)

  ch>        46. Added Randall Winchester's CLICKTORAISE compile time
  ch>            option patch

What exactly is the difference between the CLICKTORAISE compile time
option and the ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/Raises GlobalOpt?

  ch> Ideally I'd like to get 2.1.0 out in a few weeks, but as always
  ch> that'll probably have to be pushed farther out due the frequent
  ch> scarcity of my free time in which to work on fvwm...

Please, please, please, can we push hard for a 2.1.0 release?  I know
everyone is working hard, but this is getting a little out of
control...

Thanks! :)

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 23:34:24 +0100

fine, but ident windows don't go away anymore, if focus ever leaves them.

try:
Ident on any window, click in ident window.

ident on any window, move mouse to root window (sloppyfocus), clicking on
the ident window doesn't remove it anymore. stays put. :-(

albrecht
-- 
You can't brush me under the carpet, you can't hide me under the stairs.
The custodian of your private fears, your leading actor of yesteryear,
								-- Marillion
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:03:09 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Paul D. Smith wrote:

: %% "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]> writes:
: 
:   ch>        44. Added (GlobalOpts) global options to modify ClickToFocus
:   ch>            selections: ClickToFocusDoesntPassClick/PassesClick,
:   ch>            ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/Raises (may become parms to
:   ch>            ClickToFocus after the Great Style Flag Rewrite)
: 
:   ch>        46. Added Randall Winchester's CLICKTORAISE compile time
:   ch>            option patch
: 
: What exactly is the difference between the CLICKTORAISE compile time
: option and the ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/Raises GlobalOpt?
: 
: ... stuff deleted.

The CLICKTORAISE option effects "MouseFocus" VS "ClickToFocus".

However the difference in selection is understandably confusing and the
GlobalOpts are more appealing. I am including a patch against
"fvwm-2.0.45-almost" that changes the -DCLICKTORAISE compiletime option to
the GlobalOpts pair, MouseFocusClickDoesntRaise/MouseFocusClickRaises.

I set "MouseFocusClickRaises = False" so that the default is the old
behavior.  I updated tha fvwm2.man also. 

Randall

diff -u -r1.1 fvwm/builtins.c
--- 1.1 1997/01/21 21:07:46
+++ builtins.c  1997/01/21 21:10:59
@@ -3131,6 +3131,14 @@
     {
       Scr.ClickToFocusRaises = True;
     }
+    else if (StrEquals(opt,"MOUSEFOCUSCLICKDOESNTRAISE"))
+    {
+      Scr.MouseFocusClickRaises = False;
+    }
+    else if (StrEquals(opt,"MOUSEFOCUSCLICKRAISES"))
+    {
+      Scr.MouseFocusClickRaises = True;
+    }
     else
       fvwm_msg(ERR,"GlobalOpts","Unknown Global Option '%s'",opt);
 
diff -u -r1.1 fvwm/events.c
--- 1.1 1997/01/21 21:05:04
+++ events.c    1997/01/21 21:16:45
@@ -999,9 +999,9 @@
       
     }
   }
-#ifdef CLICKTORAISE
   else if ((Tmp_win) && !(Tmp_win->flags & ClickToFocus) &&
-           Event.xbutton.window == Tmp_win->frame)
+           (Event.xbutton.window == Tmp_win->frame) &&
+          Scr.MouseFocusClickRaises)
   {
     if (Tmp_win != Scr.LastWindowRaised &&
         (Event.xbutton.state &
@@ -1016,7 +1016,6 @@
     XSync(dpy,0);
     return;
   }
-#endif
 
   XSync(dpy,0);
   XAllowEvents(dpy,ReplayPointer,CurrentTime);

diff -u -r1.1 fvwm/fvwm.c
--- 1.1 1997/01/21 21:05:16
+++ fvwm.c      1997/01/21 21:06:53
@@ -1237,6 +1237,7 @@
   Scr.SmartPlacementIsClever = False;
   Scr.ClickToFocusPassesClick = True;
   Scr.ClickToFocusRaises = True;
+  Scr.MouseFocusClickRaises = False;
 
   /* Not the right place for this, should only be called once somewhere .. */
   InitPictureCMap(dpy,Scr.Root);

diff -u -r1.1 fvwm/screen.h
--- 1.1 1997/01/21 21:07:06
+++ screen.h    1997/01/21 21:07:32
@@ -319,6 +319,7 @@
   int SmartPlacementIsClever;
   int ClickToFocusPassesClick;
   int ClickToFocusRaises;
+  int MouseFocusClickRaises;
 
 } ScreenInfo;
 
diff -u -r1.1 fvwm/fvwm2.man
--- 1.1 1997/01/21 21:11:28
+++ fvwm2.man   1997/01/21 21:12:52
@@ -1007,7 +1007,8 @@
 currently handles the following:
 SmartPlacementIsReallySmart/SmartPlacementIsNormal,
 ClickToFocusDoesntPassClick/ClickToFocusPassesClick,
-ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/ClickToFocusRaises
+ClickToFocusDoesntRaise/ClickToFocusRaises,
+MouseFocusClickDoesntRaise/MouseFocusClickRaises
 .EX
 GlobalOpts ClickToFocusDoesntPassClick, ClickToFocusDoesntRaise
 .EE

diff -u -r1.1 Fvwm.tmpl
--- 1.1 1997/01/21 20:01:00
+++ Fvwm.tmpl   1997/01/21 21:55:41
@@ -238,11 +238,6 @@
  * "WindowShade" for more information.
  *
  *
- * -DCLICKTORAISE
- *
- * Enables ClickToRaise in a window in all focus modes. The default is
- * to just do this for the the ClickToFocus mode.
- *

***************************************************************************/
 
 /*