Subject: tbsp8 Borderstyle/Multistyle/Uselook patch

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:41:21 -0500

I have a new patch, tbsp8 available.  First, it adds a new borderstyle
flag which supplements the HiddenHandles, NoInset (with this, you can
nearly duplicate fvwm95 look).  Also, *much* more code can now be
compiled out.  

Then, there is a new thing.  In response to people wanting different
"looks," there is a compile-time option to add code for general style
tagging which can be applied with the Style command to particular
windows.  Although it uses the Style command, it doesn't use a style
flag (but because of this even the *new* MiniIcons patch won't
patch... Brady? :) As a compile time option you can also disable the
use of multistyles (add/button/title styles).

After a lot of sweat here, with this, you have this new ability for
fvwm-2.0.43:

AddToLook CustomLook1
+ <button/border/titlestyle/hilight color command>
+ <etc.>
Style "-CustomLook1-" UseLook CustomLook1,HandleWidth 1,NoButton 2

AddToLook CustomLook2
+ <button/border/titlestyle/hilight color command>
+ <etc.>
Style "-CustomLook2-" UseLook CustomLook2,HandleWidth 4

Then you can do:

Style "*rxvt*" UseStyle -CustomLook1-
Style "*xterm*" UseStyle -CustomLook2-

I played around briefly and in about 10 minutes had an xterm which
look similar to NeXT and an rxvt which looked like W95 and a Netscape
which looked mwm, but the idea is that you can compile in USELOOK
support even without pixmap buttons/titlebars/borders/gradients and
at least use it to define window classes.

Here is an excerpt from the patched Fvwm.tmpl:

 * -DPIXMAP_TITLEBARS		!!!PATCH ADDITION!!!!
 * 
 * Allows use of the styled title-bars using the TitleStyle 
 * command in a similar fashion to the ButtonStyle command.
 * If Xpm support and PIXMAP_BUTTONS is compiled in,
 * then you can also use pixmaps on title-bars.
 *
 *
 * -DBORDERSTYLE		!!!PATCH ADDITION!!!!
 *
 * This compiles in support for different border styles using 
 * the BorderStyle command. See the man page entries for BorderStyle 
 * for detailed usage information.
 *
 *
 * -DGRADIENTS			!!!PATCH ADDITION!!!!
 *
 * Compiles in support for the use of both horizontal and 
 * vertical, linear and nonlinear gradients for buttons and 
 * title-bars. See the man page button style entries for
 * HGradient and VGradient for more information.
 *
 *
 * -DMULTISTYLE			!!!PATCH ADDITION!!!!
 *
 * Allows the use of stacked styles for buttons and title-bars.
 * There is a slight memory penalty for each stacked style
 * over the default ones. See AddButtonStyle and AddTitleStyle 
 * for more information.
 *
 * 
 * -DUSELOOK			!!!PATCH ADDITION!!!!
 * 
 * Allows the creation of tagged looks, any of which can be
 * assigned to a window using the UseLook Style command.  To create
 * "look" definitions, see the man page entries for AddToLook 
 * and DestroyLook.  There is a slight memory penalty for each added
 * look, probably at least 10k (more or less depending on previous
 * compile setings and individual styles).
 * 
 ***************************************************************************/

OPTION_DEFINES  = -DSHAPE
OPTION_DEFINES += -DPIXMAP_BUTTONS -DPIXMAP_TITLEBARS -DGRADIENTS
OPTION_DEFINES += -DMULTISTYLE -DUSELOOK

--
Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>        http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
One day, all forms of communication will be superseded by a FAQ.
Finger for PGP Public Key
Key fingerprint =  51 56 5D 3E 51 43 8B 74  7C B2 E4 B6 84 8E 8B 08
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 09:26:27 -0500

>>>>> "AV" == Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andrew.

AV> I have a new patch, tbsp8 available.  First, it adds a new borderstyle
AV> flag which supplements the HiddenHandles, NoInset (with this, you can
AV> nearly duplicate fvwm95 look).  Also, *much* more code can now be
AV> compiled out.

AV> Then, there is a new thing.  In response to people wanting different
AV> "looks," there is a compile-time option to add code for general style
AV> tagging which can be applied with the Style command to particular
AV> windows.  Although it uses the Style command, it doesn't use a style
AV> flag (but because of this even the *new* MiniIcons patch won't
AV> patch... Brady? :) As a compile time option you can also disable the
AV> use of multistyles (add/button/title styles).

Well, I think that all this might finially be enough to keep people
happy for a little while, including me since it can all be compiled
out too. :)

I was wondering if you could give me a hand merging your latest stuff
in?  I have an earlier version in there (+ the first mini icons patch
from Brady) before you started going crazy, and I don't want to try
and rip it out and then put the new stuff in (none of the patches will
work either due to the number of other things I have in there).

I have a couple of minor things that I need to finish up to get
'2.0.44-almost' out to the workers list, and I was wondering if you
could merge your stuff into that after I announce it and mail me the
resulting patch?

Actually, might be better if I gave it to you first, then put
'2.0.44-almost' out with your latest stuff in there so the workers
list could bang on it first.  That is, if you have the time & the will
to do this.

Hopefully I'll have '2.0.44-almost' ready in a day or two, but
unfortunately I'm getting sick again so minor delays may have to
happen again...

Thanks,
Chuck

---

From: Andrew Veliath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 09:56:19 -0500

Charles> I have a couple of minor things that I need to finish up
    Charles> to get '2.0.44-almost' out to the workers list, and I was
    Charles> wondering if you could merge your stuff into that after I
    Charles> announce it and mail me the resulting patch?

This would be fine, and desirable.

    Charles> Actually, might be better if I gave it to you first, then
    Charles> put '2.0.44-almost' out with your latest stuff in there
    Charles> so the workers list could bang on it first.  That is, if
    Charles> you have the time & the will to do this.

Chuck, please don't try to merge it in yourself.  It would be needless
work on your end.

Note there are a few minor (but annoying to users) bugs in tbsp8, but
I am aware of them.  I actually want to remerge the entire thing since
I can make some changes the the define names (to make more sense) and
fix some bugs along the way.  Then I can make a non-public patch line
for people here to bang on, to iron out the remaining bugs.

At *that* point I want to present you with something that will merge
in nicely and so you can merge it on a test tree first to see the
changes.

    Charles> Hopefully I'll have '2.0.44-almost' ready in a day or
    Charles> two, but unfortunately I'm getting sick again so minor
    Charles> delays may have to happen again...

Uh oh :(.  We're all rooting for you :).  It has gotten cold and icy
recently. Your health is a bigger concern than a minor delay, so don't
worry :).

Regards,
Andrew