Subject: Iconic short-term memory loss

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:26:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all --

	I've been bothered for some time by the fact that, when you perform a
Recapture operation, the current positions of all the icons are forgotten, and
they are put back into the default location.

	I've written a patch that eliminates this "feechur", and sent a copy to
Chuck to evaluate. I'd be happy to e-mail a copy to anyone who wants to try it
out. I don't really want to post it to the general mailing list or put it on my
Web site yet, for a couple of reasons.

	First, I'd like to get Chuck's take on the issue. Second, this patch
*only* addresses the case of a Recapture, and I believe it can be extended to
address the more general case, such that it would eliminate this behavior when
fvwm restarts fvwm. So, although the code appears rock solid, I look on it as a
preliminary cut subject to significant change. I hope to have some time this
week to look into this.

	Cheers,
	Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Greg Badros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:50:33 -0700 (PDT)

Has anybody thought about extending the menu creation code to allow
menus created with too many items to make two-column-wide menus popup?
e.g, if I want to create a list of hosts, and there are more than, say 40
(since only 40 will fit w/ my screen height and font), I'd like for them
to either get split into two columns of 20 rows each, or 1 column of 40
and a second of (n-40) [whatever's left].

It'd also be nice to have a way to tell FVWM to assign shortcut keys
automatically.  My current m4 configuration does this, but it's
error-prone, and slow.  eg. a menu with  Apple, Abracadabra, Tom, Bat
would get

&Apple
A&bracadabra
&Tom
Bat

(Note that bat can't have a shortcut key, because they're all used.
Alternatively, bat could get "&1 Bat")

Any interest or thoughts on how useful this might or might not be?

Greg