Subject: fvwm-1.24r & C++ => ewm ...

From: Omar S Juma <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 10:53:27 +0100

greetings.

announcing a c++ alpha code preview of fvwm, based on 1.24r.  this effort
began last november, and has proceeded on available spare time.  the
present c++ version is close to exact functional equivalence with
fvwm-1.24r, with all the sundry nasty bugs removed.

after the first c++ version is stabilized, a major revamping effort
will be undertaken.  this hopefully will include all functional features
of fvwm-2.xx, fvwm95, afterstep, bowman, etc, etc.  in other words,
all visual features of various fvwm incarnations will be available in
one version; will be user-settable; will be configurable interactively...

worth noting:

 => there currently are no plans to adhere to fvwm input file syntax,
    as we are already planning to take the input file(s) into
    very different directions.  whatever syntax evolves will be easier
    to work with and control than the present syntax.
 => the memory footprint is likely to be somewhat larger than fvwm.
    although this may be a sore point for some folks, i believe most
    can afford ~1 meg of working space for a window manager, especially
    given the current ram price curve.
 => the shape and xpm code is in for good; there are no plans to isolate
    that code with ifdefs.
 => this is a source code preview; i.e., you cannot build a fully
    working binary out of this code.
 => this code is hotlinked into the current testing version; i.e., what
    you see is what i compile.
 => the code is subtantially easier to read, to understand, and hopefully,
    to extend.
 => the working name of this window manager is "ewm".

you are all invited to preview the source code on the web.  any and all
comments are welcome, as are any offers to assist in further development
on the c++ code.

the ewm web site is at:  http://pangaea.engin.umich.edu/ewm/

anyone interested in discussing the fvwm <-> module protocols, please
drop me a line.

regards.

...anon...
[email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].