Subject: Re: [2.0.43] PATCH: Do NOT sort WindowList

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 11:53:47 +0200

>>>>> Makoto MATSUSHITA writes:

M> Here is a patch for plain 2.0.43. It enables 'NOT sorted' WindowList.
M> This patch DOES NOT CHANGE current behavior of WindowList which is
M> written in manual page (it is just a little enhancement of WindowList).

M> To use the effect of this patch, simply say:
M> 	WindowList 6
M> or if you want to show iconname instead of windowname, say:
M> 	WindowList 7

M> I hope it'll be included in the next release. Sorry that this patch
M> does not include the addtional manual entry of this feature.

after applying this patch, I got every window listed twice.
I use plain old default windowlist.

albrecht
-- 
Plans?  Who needs plans?  Just decide on the structural elements,
and the design follows...  form follows function, and that doesn't
preclude double curves.		-- Tom Perigrin in rec.woodworking
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 23:24:55 +0900

albrecht> after applying this patch, I got every window listed twice.

Sorry, I forgot that WindowList is invoked with no argument. Please
forgive me...

- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 16:30:48 +0200

M> Sorry, I forgot that WindowList is invoked with no argument. Please
M> forgive me...

no problem.
I've dug around in the windowlist & menu code and wondered if I could
incorporate your patch also (to save chuck time).
But then I had to throw it out again.

I'm just wodering:
what would you need an unsorted (across desktops) list for ????

albrecht
-- 
The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train.

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 00:58:36 +0900

albrecht> I'm just wodering:
albrecht> what would you need an unsorted (across desktops) list for ????

Not me, my friend want to do.

He said to me: "I do not want to sort by 'desktop number'. Listing
order of sorted windowlist is not always what I expected."

He really want to give a static number to a window, i.e., "This window
is always numbered *1* in the windowlist." But it's a little bit
difficult:) so I proposed to him 'not-sorted windowlist', and he
agreed.

I think he want to control the order of windowlist by himself.

- -

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 19:26:26 +0200

[...]
M> He really want to give a static number to a window, i.e., "This window
M> is always numbered *1* in the windowlist." But it's a little bit
M> difficult:) so I proposed to him 'not-sorted windowlist', and he
M> agreed.

would "unsorted" be the order of creation?
(think so) then if he did an automatic startup of all his programs in the
initfunction (with waits), and always using the "global" windowlist,
the order shouldn't change and should be the same for every login.
the windowlist would have a fixed part (standard login windows) and then
the variable-part of on-the-fly started applications.

I can see the use, now.

I think the first parameter is by now simply some sort of bit-field:
	0	1
bit 0:	name	iconname	(even)
bit 1:  all	current		desk
bit 3:  xxx	special desk in parameter 2

other bits & sign bit are ignored

I think this should be changed to one _text_ parameter for clarity:
(I always have to look up what -4 means :-) )
	i   for iconname
	u   for unsorted (default is sort by desktop
	a   for all (default and weakest-> overwritten by 
		     any other of the following option)
	c   for current
	#   for desktop # only

I'd like to implement this (as I'm currently digging the windowlist code
anyway) 

M> I think he want to control the order of windowlist by himself.

while looking around in the manpage, i found under windowlist:

          dows  is shown in brackets.  Selecting an item from the
          window list pop-up menu will cause that  window  to  be
          moved  onto  the  desktop if it is currently not on it,
WRONG
selecting a desktop 2 application takes ME to desktop 2 not the application
to desktop 1 which I currently am viewing.

albrecht
-- 
Strangers passing in the street		|  And no one calls us to the land
By chance two separate glances meet	|  And no one crosses there alive
And I am you and what I see is me	|  And no one speaks
And do I take you by the hand		|  And no one tries
And lead you through the land		|  And no one flies around the sun
And help me understand the best I can			-- Pink Floyd, "Echoes"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 02:53:46 +0900

albrecht> would "unsorted" be the order of creation?

Maybe he wants so.

albrecht> I think this should be changed to one _text_ parameter for clarity:
albrecht> (I always have to look up what -4 means :-) )
albrecht> 	i   for iconname
albrecht> 	u   for unsorted (default is sort by desktop
albrecht> 	a   for all (default and weakest-> overwritten by 
albrecht> 		     any other of the following option)
albrecht> 	c   for current
albrecht> 	#   for desktop # only

Hmm. If it is implemented, does 'WindowList u' make what I (oh, not
me, just my friend :) want to do ? (sounds cool to me; args of
WindowList is like a magic...)

- -

---

From: [email-masked] (Albrecht Kadlec)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 10:06:56 +0200

M> Hmm. If it is implemented, does 'WindowList u' make what I (oh, not
M> me, just my friend :) want to do ? (sounds cool to me; args of
M> WindowList is like a magic...)

yes. It's always been a miracle for me, too. I have to read the complete
section in the manpage every time I mangle around with WindowList.

albrecht
-- 
Razors pain you;	Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;        And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;	Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;	You might as well live.		-- Dorothy Parker
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].